Live Oak HefeWeizen - Live Oak Brewing Company

Live Oak Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Live Oak HefeWeizen Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev -4.8%

A - Very pretty orangish color, quite hazy. No real head on mine, as this came from a growler and seems like a bit of the carbon dioxide escaped since this was poured. Can only imagine what this looks like with a nice head on it.

S - Nice mellow yeasty smell with some great clove and light mellow banana smell. Nicely spiced, but it's not overpowering like too many hefe's, very subtle. Also subtle, is some citrusy rind, possibly orange, smell in this.

T - Citrus and banana, this starts out really very mellow and climbs to a nice spice, clove, and banana taste. It mellows out to a nicely dry finish with a touch of sweetly sour note on the palate. Very nice.

M - Mine pretty undercarbonated, but blaming that on the fact it was a growler that was shipped to me. Quite smooth, light bodied.

D - So smooth, so easy tasting. Could session this all day without anything becoming overpowering. Definately a quality drinking beer.

4.71/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: A dark and cloudy golden/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention, and lace is left behind.
S: Huge citrus, tart lemon, banana, and peppery/clove aromas. Yeast, baked bread, husky wheat in spades. This is very pleasant and appealing to say the least.
T: Follows the nose nicely. The flavors are all very tart and sharp. That great hefeweizen yeast is oh so present. Plenty of citrus, banana, and clove again. Baked bread. Excellent.
M/D: Medium body and very dry and crisp. Smooth and creamy at the same time. Very refreshing. Incredibly easy to drink. Did I say this was smooth? I can session this all day long.

Probably the best American made hefe, and without a doubt the best beer made in Texas. This is a classic, and a review is not good enough to describe this beauty. Pretty much as good as it gets.

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

Big thanks to JLindros for sharing this beer. Poured into a tulip.

A - Pours a nice hazy golden hue with a thin sudsy head that faded at typical rate to leave a nice halo.

S - A wonderful hefe aroma explodes upon opening. Tons of banana and clove along with some light orange/tangerine notes.

T - Again, wonderfully done with sweet, ripe banana , bright cloves and Corrianne, nice typical hefe spice profile.

M - Nice lightly creamy, slightly dry finish. Excellent.

O - Overall, this was a delicious hefe. Not sure how easy it is to get these growlers, but I'd love to get some more.

4.17/5  rDev -5%

Thanks very much to wagenvolks for the opportunity to try and share this with friends. Just as a caveat - this was shipped in some serious August heat and there was a bit of CO2 escaping that occurred due to expansion in the bottle.

Served in my ST tulip. Poured a cloudy orange with an off-white head that quickly dissipated - looked a lot like Tang (the drink of astronauts). Nose was clove, citrus and yeast. Taste consistent with nose, somewhat mellow and muted flavor profile with some citrus astringency lingering at the back. Character changes slightly as it warms with some banana notes coming out as well. Mouthfeel was light bodied with a consistent level of background effervescence - finish was fairly clean and dry. Easy drinking and quite flavorful - perhaps the most drinkable beer I've ever had a 4% abv. I can only assume that this beer is nothing short of outstanding on draught because it was still very respectable considering what it went through to get to me.

4.52/5  rDev +3%

I have had this once before years ago from a growler. Being in Texas, I had to give this another go. On tap at the Ginger Man in Dallas.

(A)- Pours a hazy golden yellow/orange color. Some really good froth and lacing left behind in the glass.

(S)- Bright and vibrant lemon zest and biscuit - like clove. Bits of bubblegum and a very subtle banana as it warms.

(T)- Just like the smell. A lovely crisp lemon peel with dry biscuit-like yeast. Very mellow bubblegum and clove letting the fruit and yeast do the work.

(M)- Such a crisp and smooth tasting beer. It is perhaps a lighter representation of the style I have had, but not lacking flavor by any means.

(O)- Easily one of the best Hefe's in the world. So light, but crisp and flavorful. A keg of this in my house (if I could) would not last long at all. And from my past experience with this beer, fresh and on tap; there is so substitute.

*Original Review ___

Growler poured into a tulip. Crazy thanks to Beerwolf77 for sharing the wealth!

(A)- Pours a cloudy orange hue that produced a decent white head that dissipated after awhile. (3.5)

(S)- Lots of ripe banana with a really nice clove aroma. Minimal lemon, but crisp. Some awesome wheat notes. Kind of a rustic character to it. (4.5)

(T)- Crisp, with a mellow banana/lemon profile. Nice dry wheat aspect with a telltale bubblegum finish. (4)

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. A nice crispness to it. Smooth & mellow. (4)

(D)- Definitely a solid Hefeweiss for sure. Smooth and easy drinking even for the style.(4.5)

4.52/5  rDev +3%

12oz handbottle courtesy of a very generous BA, poured 4-5-09

Pours a very hazy golden yellow with a short-lived one inch white head that recedes to nothing fairly quickly and leaves no lacing.

The aroma is much citrusy than I expected with a big dose of tart lemon aromas and even a hint of funk. The typical wheat presence of bananas and bubble gum sweetness are definitely present but take a bit of a back seat. Very unique nose for the style.

The taste is even more tart than the aroma with a huge lemon zing up front that hardly allows the sweetness of the wheat to come through at all. The finish is dry and acidic with more than a hint of funk lingering in the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is a little slick with low carbonation, likely due to this being from a handbottle.

This is one of the more unique hefes I've had and while I do like it, I really think there is a bit too much tartness and funk for this to be a world-class version of the style. Maybe it was the handbottling, but I was a little underwhelmed and it tasted a little off.

EDIT 5-8-09: Poured from a growler and it became very clear that the bottle was, in fact, off. There was none of the off-putting tartness from the hand bottle and the aroma and taste were almost perfect representations of the style - a great balance between light lemony citrus, fresh bananas and spices. A great beer.

4.3/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-pours a glowing golden yellow colored beer with a beautiful unfiltered looking haze. The head is pure white, bubbly, and slightly thin

S-the nose is quite big and brings nice golden fruits and a light funky yeast. Golden pears and banana are most prominent, a light peach as well, with a little clove spiciness balancing out the fruity sweetness. A light touch of yeast keeps this true to the style

T-the taste is slightly spicier than the nose. The spice is present up front, clove and a touch of pepper, the fruits set in towards the middle, pear and banana with hints of soft peach. The spiciness and a light touch of tart funk bring in the finish.

M-the body is a little larger than I thought it would be, medium to light with a certain level of syrup to it. It has some prickly carbonation on top of a very smooth palate finishing on the dry side; but not overly dry by an means

D-this is so easy to drink, big flavors and right on point. So low in alcohol to match a nice level of complexity with a solid mixture of spice and sweet soft fruits. Great Brew!!!

Believe Da Hype. Best HefeWeizen I have ever had. It even puts the German Originals to shame! Seriosuly. On-Tap *MANY* times at the gingerman in Austin, Texas. Light/ruddy golden yellow with a nice frothy head of white that lasts and leaves great German lacing. My glass is adorned with a lemon, wtf!? let's try this one sans lemon first. Aromas are all classic hefe. Banana, spicy yeast, clove, a bit of lemon, etc. Not overly complex nor bland. Just right in the middle and *perfect*. Taste follows through in a big way. Big brash wheaty hefe flavors of banana, cloves, citrus, and other spices just balance each other out into a bready, wheaty, yeasty masterpiece of drinkability. Mouthfeel is smooth just the right weight and perfect. Drinkability would be a 6 if I could rate it above 5. Just for the hell of it I drank this one with the lemon too, as it seems that's how all the locals drink it down here in the 100 degree Texas heat. All the lemon did was accentuate the citrus flavors already present in this awe-inspiring beer, and cut some of the grainy wheaty flavors that are awesome. It's amazing either way, you can't hurt this beer. This beer is the man. I don't even want to give it a 5, because I thought I would never, ever, give a hefe a 5! Hefes arent even my favorite style of brew anymore at all and they havent been for a while! It doesn't matter at all though, just like moonlights reality czech garnered a 5 rating from me as well, this beer is just the perfect example of this style. Hefe can not get any better than this and so it gets the big 5 from me. Just drink this whenever you get the chance. Drink it all up, because you will miss it when it is not available to you anymore. Sure the bar I drank a bunch of this in had about 80 other beers on tap. so what! Everytime I walked through the doors, I was pretty much ordereing 1,2,3, or more of these beauties...I was only in Texas for a few days, and by the time I left everyone knew this was "my beer". I wish it could be "my beer" here at home, but it can't be so i'll just be happy I got to quaff a bunch of this in the capital of Texas, and plan my next trip with a two day layover in Austin! Live Oak may not be the best brewery in the world, or even on the continent, or even in the country, or even in the state of Texas!, but as far as I am concerned they brew the best hefe in the world!

4.28/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to brandoneast for sending me two hand-bottles of this hefe from a growler. I hadn't been seeking this brew, but when the opportunity popped up just as I signed on, hey, why not? It's supposed to be pretty decent, right?

Split a 12 oz. bottle with the wife, who's not a big hefe fan (I had to guarantee her half of the bottle). Brew is resoundingly cloudy, with massive amounts of suspended floaties. I wouldn't dare drain-pour this, I'd clog up the drain. Smell is like a hefe Ahnold, flexing banana with a hint of sour underneath.

Now, I had no idea what I was getting into when I took a sip, this has some sour tinge to it! Hefe? What the hell? Fortunately for me, it has just the right bit, I like my sour more subtle, & that's what this has. The banana gets drowned out, almost, by the gentle sour bite that's clearing my sinuses. Sipping this beer is like sitting in the sand, on the sun, waves lapping at your feet, a fishing rod at hand. Ahhh. The wife won't give her half up, either.

Mouthfeel is light & delicious. This is one fine hefe & definitely lives up to the hype. I can now rest easy knowing there's at least one hefe out there that kicks some serious ass. Excellent beer!

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

4.67/5  rDev +6.4%

Crazy delicious. This is one of those bittersweet trades - very happy for the taste but I'll want more soon (thanks SatansLH via reddit). Live Oak's Hefeweizen is definitely my new favorite American hefeweizen and possibly my favorite overall (sorry, Weihenstephan).

Pours a color right between a banana and an orange. It's quite hazy with a big white head, just right for the style (and a relief to see coming out of a growler).

The aroma is a mouthwatering blend of bananas and clove. It's a sweet smell, chock full of yeast and wheat notes. It tends more toward the banana/bubblegum side of things than the spice, but the spice is definitely present. It smells like the batter of a spiced banana bread. There are some light lemony aromas floating around, as well. Just sublime.

The flavor is moderately sweet, a bit drier than some, though. The yeast did just the right amount of work on this beer. It's a bit lighter than other hefeweizens that I've tried, but it works for the beer. Live Oak should be commended for packing this much flavor into 4.1% abv.

The mouthfeel is nice and creamy. Lots of gentle little bubbles, even from a growler. It's incredible drinkable. One of the best session beers that I've ever tried. This is delicious beer.

4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

Growler, courtesy of Phoenix2443, into a Duvel tulip.

A: Fully hazed orange-gold body with a full inch of off-white head, despite over a week (and a couple thousand miles) between now and when the growler was filled. So-so retention and light lace. Not bad at all.

S: This one's a straight-up banana bomb, with the toasty malts underneath leading to a distinct banana bread aroma. Only the lightest hint of clove spice, and not really any bubblegum. Just a little one-sided, but still hugely appealing.

T: Good balance of fruity esters and bready malt here, with the banana from the nose still holding on to its dominant spot. Overall it's really quite delicate for a hefe, but still pretty flavorful for the low ABV. The slightly spicy aftertaste is simply lovely.

M: The body's a little thin and the carbonation is a little sharp, but neither is a real problem for me. Pretty much what I expect for the style. The fact that there still is so much carbonation in a shipped growler earns it an extra half-point.

D: This category is where this beer really shines: I don't care what Ding says, this is a classic American session beer, the extra .10% be damned. I can imagine that this is a definite favorite during hot Texas summers.

Notes: Big thanks to Phoenix2443 for hooking me up with this. It did not disappoint at all, even though I think NG Dancing Man maintains its position as my all-time favorite hefe. This one puts a lot of Germans to shame, though, and is a worthy brew indeed.

Cheers!

4.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Gigantically mad ups to xpimptastikx for shipping out a growler of this. There is nothing, NOTHING, more wonderful than having a growler reach you safe and sound. And it's one of them fancy growlers with a special freshness lock cap, too.

Pours as beautifully as any hefe could. Maybe a little better, actually. It's been a while since I've come across a really gorgeous wheat beer, but this one resembles duvel with its cloudy yellow sunshine body and gigantic, foamy white head. It's like frosting, or some kind of delicious soup. Or, actually it's even better than those since it's beer.

Smells just a complex as the very best hefes I've ever had, but maybe a little bit more intense. Cloves, banana, white pepper, the usual suspects, but there's also some wonderful citrus complexities in there.

Tastes even more complex, even more perfectly smooth and balanced. God damn! Wheatmalt dominates, of course, starting off generically beery in a nice way (like Weihenstephaner), moving into a sweeter, spicecake middle of cloves, lemon zest, white pepper, vanilla and orange. This lingers for a while and its ends, amazingly, with a distinct but light hop finish that ties everything together like a cherry on a sundae.

Nothing outrageous, nothing huge, just a perfectly executed example of its style. Believe the hype. I'm honestly upset at myself for not applying to Texas' grad program, now...

3.5/5  rDev -20.3%

4.43/5  rDev +0.9%

414th review on BA
Growler to Weizen

HUGE!!! Thanks to Poonamibaxter for this.

App- Soft hazy yellow with a two finger head and not a lot of cling. Faded from dark to light in the glass.

Smell- Typical hefe smell without being overdone or too sweet, well balanced. Bananas, yeast and spice.

Taste- It's one of the most balanced hefe's I have had and I dont like hefs except for the Hefe-Weiss. This was bliss in a glass. Banana, spice and a little bit of grainy/wheat. Didn't over compensate any single flavor or ingredient.

Mouth- Medium bodied but almost a light bodied hefe. High carbed even after being in the growler for so long. Was soft and refreshing.

Drink- Not as spicy and as big as the Hefe-weiss but this was so tasty. Fresh, crisp, refreshing and tasty. I wanted to drink all 64oz of this but that would be bad Advocacy. The BA freinds need to share this.

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A wonderful representation of the style. Very robust a full-flavored. Would love if this was available to me on a regular basis. Great beer.

4.17/5  rDev -5%

Hazy golden orange on the pour. No head once it made it to me unfortunately.

Nice banana citrus, clove and honey aroma.

Taste is pretty much spot on with the aroma which is very good.

Crisp, clean, light, and smooth.

good drinkability. One of the most solid hefes I've had.

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company