Live Oak HefeWeizen - Live Oak Brewing Company

Live Oak HefeWeizenLive Oak HefeWeizen

Live Oak Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003)
View: Beers (18) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Live Oak HefeWeizen Alström Bros
Yeti1979

Louisiana

06-01-2014 11:41:11 | More by Yeti1979
jamie2dope

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

Thanks very much to stopbarking for sending me a growler of this, which I have been wanting to try for a while now. Poured in to a Paulaner glass, the color is a hazed gold, with almost half the glass filled with fluffy white heading. Nose is nice and wheaty, with the usual hints of clove, and citrus. More of the same from the flavor. Mouthfeel is light and thirst quenching. Drinkability is a no brainer on a hot Summer day. For once an American brewery makes a Hef that can stand alongside its German counterparts. Well done

09-11-2010 22:52:19 | More by jamie2dope
brew3crew

4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

A-hazy yellow and very bubbly. Nice head. White lacing.
S-whear exudes from the gold in the cup
T-very tangy. Not so strong wheat flavor and gives more of a fruity flavor. Not bad
M-light, crisp and smooth
D-very drinkable and I do not like this style

02-09-2011 01:17:00 | More by brew3crew
nataku00

4.25/5  rDev -3%

On tap poured into a tulip pint glass at The Esquire Tavern in San Antonio. Beer pours a hazy pale yellow with a finger and a half of foamy thick white head. Head stuck around for a few minutes before fading, leaving some sticky blotches of lacing. Good carbonation visible, small bubbles floating up gently.

Nose is interesting, lemon peel, floral hops, fruity esters of green apple and pear, biscuit malts, and a light spice of clove and coriander. This tastes more like a Belgian witbier than a hefeweizen, but still very nice smelling.

Tastes like a nice witbier as well. Very clean flavors of lemon and coriander, biscuit malts, and floral hops. Finishes medium with some lingering lemon and biscuit malts.

Light body with great carbonation. Very easy to drink and enjoyable. Slightly dinged for not have the banana characteristic I'm used to, but a very well made beer.

05-20-2012 02:40:01 | More by nataku00
Vdubb86

4.03/5  rDev -8%

Served in a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint Glass

Thanks to jefferz5000 for letting me get my hands on this.

This beer pours a flat cloudy golden color. The aroma is a mixture of wheat, clove and candied sugar, specifically those necco candies that you get on valentines day. So I really enjoy the aroma. The candy continues into comprising the majority of the beer. There is a wheat flavor to the beer, but it is definitely subtle. The problem I have is the beer is flat, this is the best I can say. I wish I could of had it on tap, I'm sure it would be so much better.

11-28-2010 00:18:01 | More by Vdubb86
MrVonzipper

01-24-2013 03:08:02 | More by MrVonzipper
afksports

4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

Last Friday I spent the majority of happy hour knocking back Weinstephaner Hefeweizens. I suppose I was spoiled. I had to set up a trade with Josh in Texas (Thanks jtortorice!) so that I could compare one of the best American hefe's with Europe's top offering.

Well, they just don't compare. Sad.

Live Oak's version is damn tasty though. And has a wonderful looking head. That aside though, it's very straw looking, almost changing in color from one part of the glass to another. Murky and wheaty, it sustains decent head, but seems to not have a lot going on for it. The smell is citric and sweet. Very inviting for a hefeweizen, and worthy for sure. The taste has a tiny hops bite up front, and then is citrus and orange juice, and finishes clean and watery. It's very wet, all the way through.

That makes it an easy drinker, especially at 4.1% alcohol by volume. The mouth feels light, both because of its light body and its lack of carbonation. It helps it in drinking, but I just feel like there's something lacking about this beer.

Like it's one misstep from completely average. For such a highly rated beer as this (#34 on my list!) I was expecting just a bit more.

02-13-2011 02:54:32 | More by afksports
csmartin6

12-12-2012 15:27:51 | More by csmartin6
Traquairlover

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks to brandoneast for this beer.

A = Good cloudy orange, yellow with small white head that recedes relatively quickly.

S = Cloves, bananas, some very sour scents of lemon zest with some funky barnyard smells much like a Saison.

T & D = Taste is much like the smell with cloves hitting the front of the tongue, lemon on the sides of the tongue but from midpalate to the finish it is thick banana flavor. It has just the right level of tartness to make it something that really makes you want another drink as the finish fades. In terms of hefe's I do not like it as much as my favorite (Weihenstephaner) but it is a totally different take on the style. Much more tartness and more funkiness in the smell. This is a really good beer.

M = Interesting body, it start out feeling light to medium but by the finish it feels medium to heavy. Very good mouthcoating and pleasant level of carbonation.

03-20-2009 23:23:45 | More by Traquairlover
MiScusi

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Growler courtesy of stopbarking.

A- Dark cloudy gold. Hard for the white head to build up and it doesn't stay long here. The beer has been in transit for a week though, so I'll give it a break.

S- Wheat, bubblegum, and clove. I get no banana out of it, and that's an aspect of hefe's I particularly like.

T- Pretty much follows the smell, again no banana that I can pick out here. The flavors come through really strong though and make for a delicious combination.

M- It's hard to rank the mouthfeel of a growler, especially one that has been in the process of being shipped over the last week. The carbonation seemed pretty good still, and the body was light enough to be refreshing, but had enough to it to carry the big flavors.

D- A really good hefe. Not sure it stands out above Weihenstephaner to me, but it was good.

Thanks again to stopbarking for giving me the chance to try this!

08-31-2008 07:25:58 | More by MiScusi
vcoggins

12-28-2012 19:20:27 | More by vcoggins
ColdPoncho

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Thanks a bunch to tsatem for this growler!

A - body is cloudy yellow/peach colored, loads of bubbles. Not much head to speak of, but what there is is white.

S - Been a while since I've had one of these...bananas, lemon, sweet malt, vanilla, black pepper.

T - Well balanced sweetness and dryness, in line with the nose. Touch of lemon on the back.

M - Very nice and full feeling, but still quite light.

D - Very good to drink, enjoyable all-around.

02-09-2011 21:10:44 | More by ColdPoncho

01-26-2013 02:54:01 | More by StArnoldFan
sukwonee

Washington

4.38/5  rDev 0%

Thank you Daniel for bottling this from Texas and sending it to me as an extra! So much appreciated and I think most aspects of this beer made their way into the bottle! Big Thanks!

A: Very very pretty looking haha. Hazy yellow. two finger head. Good amount of lacing.

S: Clove, yeast, banana, sugar? some sweetness can be detected on the nose.

T: It starts of like your typical German Hef - clove, banana, yeasty, and then finishes off very sweet and maybe... orang-y & lemon-y. Has longer after taste... and it's a bit sugary.

M: Smooth, low carbonation. Medium thickness.

O: Best hef from America. I still prefer Weihenstephaner but this one is quite awesome.

05-01-2012 21:10:18 | More by sukwonee
bluemoonswoon

4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

Have been looking forward to trying this beer for a long time, since about the time a joined BA actually and xpimptastikx hooked me up big time with this much wanted brew.

From a growler, poured into a weizen glass

A: Glowing orange and golden staw clouded by the dustiest flakes of yeast I've ever seen, I let this sit in the fridge for a couple of days and it's like the yeast particles have completly integrated themselves into the beer itself. The only knock I have on this beer is the lack of lacing and that huge head, but this color is really something out of this world.

S: The beer has survived the journey from tap to glass and I am greeted with a heavenly fresh aroma of coriander and orange peel, super sweet orange juice and pineapple juice mixed together, super creamy orange but not like that fake orange cream soda aroma that you are probably thinking about, I mean this smells like someone spilled a glass of pineapple orange juice on a freshly baked and buttered biscuit, really. Thick doughy aromas combine

T/MF: Rich and thick, sweet ceral grain mixes with a subtle spicness and mild estery and floral fruit flavors. Feel is smooth and a bit tingly on the tongue but finishes clean and begs to be sipped again. Given some time to warm even more comes out: nutmeg, a pinch of cinnamon and finally that good old fashioned bananna that we always hear so much about. I'm not even done with my first glass and already I'm ready for another. I really don't think I am doing the beer justice here. I mean I can go on and say that the beer has this or that and it might sound like not a BFD, but it is, this beer is amazing, it's like this beer takes the idea of a hefeweizen and notches up everything you have come to expect from the style, everything is just a bit brighter, a bit deeper and richer, the flavors more pronounced and complex. I could go on but then I wouldn't be drinking my beer.

D: Reading a few reviews I was worried that the growler would not have survived the trip across state lines and I would be left with a subpar and possibly flat beer, but my fears were put to rest and my expectations exceeded. this beer deserves more hype than it already has. Thanks again Michael.

12-20-2008 02:16:19 | More by bluemoonswoon

04-21-2013 19:24:48 | More by BJasny
jeonseh

Indiana

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Thanks to JDV for the chance to try this and it is my first ever Growler beer. Poured into a Crystal Hefe Glass.

A - Wow, I have to say I can't wait to drink this one. It is a golden color which seems to have every hue of yellow in it for m a bright yellow crayon to a dark bronze. Pours with a big creamy white head as well that leaves a bit of lacing.

S - Clove and spice are the big ones here. There is also a hint of banana and pick up that classic bubblegum note as well.

T - A nice zesty lemon and orange really seems to be the main flavor i get at first. After that fades off, get a hint of clove and bubblegum as well. All of the flavors really blend together well and nothing at seems to overpower anything. This is one of those beers that really brings the flavors well but manages to do it in a way that doesn't make one aspect of the beer stand out. Has a light wheat taste that stands out a bit but doesn't make itself known too well. This is one of those beers that doesn't have anything really stand out but I find myself just reaching for another glass after glass since it just sucks you in so well. The more I drank of this, the more the banana flavors also seemed to start to pop out a little more.

MF - Has enough carbonation to help bring the lemon and zest flavor but is not at all overpowering. Has a light body and actually goes down very veltety smooth and creamy. Leaves a light tingling feeling in the mouth as well. Not as bready or thick as some hefes but a lot smoother and easy to go down. The one downside to the feel is that the beer is a bit thinner than I would hope.

D - This is up there on the ultimate session beer list. It goes down super smooth, has a ton of flavor and is just enjoyable to drink. I wish I could get this easier because it would be the everyday beer. I can especially see how people in texas probably pound this stuff back on a hot day as this growler I have will not last very long.

04-19-2008 00:56:57 | More by jeonseh