Live Oak Oaktoberfest - Live Oak Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2003

Reviews by GMB:
3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

The name of this beer is a pun that plays on the name of the brewery ("Live Oak") and that of the German festival ("Oktoberfest") that has come to be synonymous with the beer's style (Märzen). I expected the beer itself to accord with its name; that is, I expected it to offer a slight spin on a traditional Oktoberfest.

The bartender handed me a pint of dark pumpkin-orange brew with very little head; so far so good. A few streams of bubbles appeared as I lifted the beer towards the ceiling lights. The lights brought out some yellow and red tones in the body. It was not until I reached the halfway point in my pint that I was able to produce a nice frothy off-white foam, which remained in place for a few seconds and slowly began to fall.

I wasn't able to detect any hops in the nose; I expect as much from an Oktoberfest. The aroma of roasted malt and mild lager yeast was familiar and pleasing.

The taste more or less followed the nose: Sweet medium-toasted malts, mild lager yeast flavors, and a clean finish. The flavor is sweet and malty, but not strong. Indeed, I had to take a second sip before I could begin to form an opinion about the beer's taste. I never tasted or smelled any aroma hops, but did begin to pick up the effect of the bittering hops as I moved on to the second half of the pint. The warmth and flavors of the alcohol were palpable in my last two sips. If this beer has an oakstanding characteristic--forgive the pun-ishment--it is its finish, which is slightly drier and cleaner than most commercially available American Oktoberfest beers.

The beer's mouthfeel improved as it warmed. Medium-bodied at first, it managed to toss up some creamy, full-bodied froth as the beer warmed. The creamy foam was a better match for the rich malty character of the beer, and as a result, the second half of the pint was more enjoyable in than the first.

This beer let me down in some ways. Its playful, witty name led me to expect a similarly playful rendition of the style, which it is not. But it is a solid, well-executed, and delicious Oktoberfest beer. It is nicely balanced and has the sweet maltiness and full-bodied feel that I expect from a good Märzen. There are no fireworks here, but perhaps the beer's simple deliciousness deserves more credit than my score affords.

My pint of Live Oak Oaktoberfest paired well with my lunch of smoked meat, sweet pickles, onions, and barbecue sauce.

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

On tap at the Addison Flying Saucer.

The beer pours a reddish-amber color with a white head. The aroma is classic Marzen. I get a whole lot of toffee and bread as well as some grapes - which I get in almost every German lager. The flavor is more of the same with a ton of malt. This is a malt bomb of a beer. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Another very nice beer from Live Oak.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

3.91/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a pint glass Orange with a thin white head. Good lacing all the way down.

I was in a bar, so my already weak nose can't give a review of this.

The taste was full of malts with a nice orange spice. The end of the palatte had a nice hop bitterness to finish.

The body was very full for the style which was a nice bonus.

4.63/5  rDev +19%

Best Octoberfest I have ever had (probably due to freshness). It had about a half inch head that lingered for 5 minutes or. (I took my time) I have never seen a head like that on a lager style beer. Fairly strong okfest, ABV wise... I would guess %6-7.

There was a lot going on flavor wise. As the beer warmed a little, the flavor of apples an other fruits became more prominant... Live Oak has got to start bottling!

3.5/5  rDev -10%

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

I had this on tap at two locations last week during my trip to Texas. The first pint I had was at the Flying Saucer in San Antonio.

The beer was surprisingly smooth and had a malty flavor with a hint of caramel. Although I wasn't having it with food, I think it would have gone quite nicely with a burger or meat, maybe a stew even.

I'm not typically into most "Oktoberfest" brews, but this one was very drinkable.

The second place I had it was at the Shady Grove in Austin. Just as good as the first time, I was very impressed with it.

3.5/5  rDev -10%