Live Oak Oaktoberfest - Live Oak Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

Dark amber pour with about a finger width cream colored head. Not much of a smell to it. It was a unique taste, not like most Oktoberfest.

It's a good beer, smooth drink but lighter than most Oktoberfest. Something to enjoy at a local bar on a Friday night. (259 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -20.7%

On tap at Draught house pub
Pours a clearish amber with a smell of absolutely nothing other than apple juice. Had somebody else check because it was so over the top. Taste is apple juice, some toasty malt, similar yeasty flavor of their pilz beer. Bottom line is apple juice, and not very oktoberfest like, but at least it doesn't taste bad... (343 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -1%

One of the seasonal craft brews available on tap, enjoyed at the Ginger Man on a trip to Dallas.
Brownish amber color with a thin cream colored head. Foam shrank away quickly leaving minimal lace. Nice smell, nutty and slightly sweet caramel aromas. Malty sweetness with hints of smoke and toasted bread. A touch of fruity hops balancing the finish. Average body and mouthfeel, smooth going down. I thought this was a very good Oktoberfest, flavorful and drinkable. (465 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

I tried this at the Flying Suacer the middle of October. I am going through my notes, and I haven't posted this one yet, so why not now?

The beer was a clear pale orange color with a 1/4" white head. The head is creamy with some lacing left on the glass after drinking. The flavor and aroma is really malty with evident caramel. There is also a bit of toast in this beer that comes out a bit as it warms. There is no hops to speak of in the aroma. The flavor has a defined toast along with much more noticeable hops. The body is medium to light with a good bit of toasty sweetness to linger. This is a really nice Oktoberfest. (629 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Upon looking at this beer, the first thing I noticed was the deep but clear amber color. Once I took a sniff of it, there was some scent of malt, but not that strong.

The taste of this brew is distinctive for an Oktoberfest style. It is very bready, fruity, but the bread flavors are defenitely dominant. On the first sip, I could have been drinking liquid ginger bread for all I knew. Once I took a few more sips and really stopped to appreciate all of the great different flavors this beer offers, I was impressed to say the least. This beer is very complex but at the same time very drinkable. I also liked the fact that the finish seemed to really balance everything out very nicely. As for the mouthfeel, it was nearly perfect for the style. Not too thin, but plently of body to keep things interesting.

If you are looking for a little bit of a different spin on an Oktoberfest brew, this is defenitely your beer. It is very complex, but very drinkable. I liked it a lot, and wish Live Oak would start selling their beers in bottles rather than just on tap. (1,070 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +1%

A- Amber, brownish in color with a cream colored head.

S- Rich, nutty aroma with good caramel malt notes and sweet.

T&M- Moderate in body with decent carbonation. Malt is sweet and caramelly. Rich with some smoke in it. Bready and smooth going down. Hops are subtle but finish the beer off nicely. Slightly fruity and become more agressive as the beer warms. Husky apple peels.

D- This is a great edition on Oktoberfest. More flavor than other versions and deeper in character. Very drinkable. (502 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

“Don’t look for Live Oak at 7-11 anytime soon” remarked brewer Chip McElroy when asked if his draught only offerings were going to be bottled.

Focus is a good thing.

Live Oak does German styles well and their Oaktoberfest is no exception.
Good malt body with hints of caramel supporting the higher ABV. Enjoy the finish as the hops come in to balance the experience. (377 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours deep amber in color with a creamy off-white head that settles into a good amount of lace. Nose is sweet and malty and very inviting. Moderate in body and rather creamy in texture. Taste begins with sweet caramel malt and a bit of toffee followed by some bready notes. Fruity hops come along towards the end giving a nice balance to the beer. Very nice—one of my favorite oktoberfests. Sampled on-tap at the Addison Flying Saucer. (436 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +18.4%

Best Octoberfest I have ever had (probably due to freshness). It had about a half inch head that lingered for 5 minutes or. (I took my time) I have never seen a head like that on a lager style beer. Fairly strong okfest, ABV wise... I would guess %6-7.

There was a lot going on flavor wise. As the beer warmed a little, the flavor of apples an other fruits became more prominant... Live Oak has got to start bottling! (420 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

From the Gingerman in Dallas. Rich mahogany color with a huge, long-lasting head on it. Aroma is good clean malty, a little bready. Nice malty start, lightly toasted & biscuity, light touch of caramel. Hop bitterness comes in a bit in the middle, keeping it from being too sweet, but strong emphasis more on the malt. Finishes clean and dry. Crisp, medium-light body. Another very good offering from Live Oak. (409 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +9.7%

I thought about what I was going to say about this beer for quite a while before I finally decided on this review. I love the beer. In fact, I was tempted to only drink this beer the night I was at the Addison Flying Saucer. But alas, a wide selection makes you turn to other great beers. How horrible!

Anyway, the one thing that made me most confused about how I would review this beer is the fact that the Oaktoberfest is sweet...I mean really sweet. I can see this beer being way too sweet for some beer drinkers and definitely for lovers of Oktoberfest beers.

The beer pours a pretty amber with an orange hue. My pour had very little head but that could be a bad pour by the scantily clad bar wench. The aroma was so lovely, fruity and sweet with a faint floral that hinted that hops were in there somewhere.

OK, I've already mentioned the sweetness. And I also have noted that I love the flavor. But this is one of the sweetest Oktoberfests I have ever had. It seems to be a bit unbalanced, and I hate to say that since I loved it so.

All in all, this is a wonderful beer. But I would have to say as an Oktoberfest is is not as good as the Saint Arnold, for you Texas drinkers.

Last word...delicious. (1,220 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +18.2%

On tap at Dog&Duck, Austin.

Nothing quite as exciting as a new keg of the latest Live Oak seasonal. There's a small, dense head. It's a deep cream color, almost tan, and fades evenly to a thin ring. Almost no lacing on the (slightly damp) glass. The beer is dark amber, clear, with a few sluggish, lumbering bubbles of carbonation. A flowery, fruity, hoppy nose only hints at the deep caramel malt to come. Front is tangy. Middle is fruity with almost overwhelming caramel maltiness. Sweetish, but definitely not syrupy or sugary. Nice, bitter hoppy finish shows some roasty grains. And still plenty of caramel left over.

This is an aggressive oktoberfest. It's overflowing with tangy fruit, caramel and flowery hops. Wow. (728 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last