Live Oak Oaktoberfest - Live Oak Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

Highly drinkable and good example of the style. Same color as classic Oktoberfests. Not sure where the "oak" in the name comes from as I didn't taste anything close to it. However it was malty with clove, nutmeg and caramel toffee. Did I say the body was orange? Nice head color of the lightest shade of orange. Very tasty and drinkable. (337 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

From the Gingerman in Dallas. Rich mahogany color with a huge, long-lasting head on it. Aroma is good clean malty, a little bready. Nice malty start, lightly toasted & biscuity, light touch of caramel. Hop bitterness comes in a bit in the middle, keeping it from being too sweet, but strong emphasis more on the malt. Finishes clean and dry. Crisp, medium-light body. Another very good offering from Live Oak. (409 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

I tried this at the Flying Suacer the middle of October. I am going through my notes, and I haven't posted this one yet, so why not now?

The beer was a clear pale orange color with a 1/4" white head. The head is creamy with some lacing left on the glass after drinking. The flavor and aroma is really malty with evident caramel. There is also a bit of toast in this beer that comes out a bit as it warms. There is no hops to speak of in the aroma. The flavor has a defined toast along with much more noticeable hops. The body is medium to light with a good bit of toasty sweetness to linger. This is a really nice Oktoberfest. (629 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Upon looking at this beer, the first thing I noticed was the deep but clear amber color. Once I took a sniff of it, there was some scent of malt, but not that strong.

The taste of this brew is distinctive for an Oktoberfest style. It is very bready, fruity, but the bread flavors are defenitely dominant. On the first sip, I could have been drinking liquid ginger bread for all I knew. Once I took a few more sips and really stopped to appreciate all of the great different flavors this beer offers, I was impressed to say the least. This beer is very complex but at the same time very drinkable. I also liked the fact that the finish seemed to really balance everything out very nicely. As for the mouthfeel, it was nearly perfect for the style. Not too thin, but plently of body to keep things interesting.

If you are looking for a little bit of a different spin on an Oktoberfest brew, this is defenitely your beer. It is very complex, but very drinkable. I liked it a lot, and wish Live Oak would start selling their beers in bottles rather than just on tap. (1,070 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

I had this on tap at the Alamo Drafthouse in Katy. The tap handle was cool, just a wooden branch (maybe this is the case with Live Oak everywhere, I don't know). The beer was clear copper colored with a thin head, could have been thicker if poured with more abandon. The aroma was really good, clean and malty, not too strong, a little bready too. The taste was likewise clean and sweet, a touch of esters, maybe some hint of spice but mostly neutral as appropriate for the style. Good body, not too thin, very good all around. I liked this better than the hefeweizen (which I also liked but am a little mystified as to its place in the top 100). (646 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +9.7%

I thought about what I was going to say about this beer for quite a while before I finally decided on this review. I love the beer. In fact, I was tempted to only drink this beer the night I was at the Addison Flying Saucer. But alas, a wide selection makes you turn to other great beers. How horrible!

Anyway, the one thing that made me most confused about how I would review this beer is the fact that the Oaktoberfest is sweet...I mean really sweet. I can see this beer being way too sweet for some beer drinkers and definitely for lovers of Oktoberfest beers.

The beer pours a pretty amber with an orange hue. My pour had very little head but that could be a bad pour by the scantily clad bar wench. The aroma was so lovely, fruity and sweet with a faint floral that hinted that hops were in there somewhere.

OK, I've already mentioned the sweetness. And I also have noted that I love the flavor. But this is one of the sweetest Oktoberfests I have ever had. It seems to be a bit unbalanced, and I hate to say that since I loved it so.

All in all, this is a wonderful beer. But I would have to say as an Oktoberfest is is not as good as the Saint Arnold, for you Texas drinkers.

Last word...delicious. (1,220 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +10%

I had this on tap at two locations last week during my trip to Texas. The first pint I had was at the Flying Saucer in San Antonio.

The beer was surprisingly smooth and had a malty flavor with a hint of caramel. Although I wasn't having it with food, I think it would have gone quite nicely with a burger or meat, maybe a stew even.

I'm not typically into most "Oktoberfest" brews, but this one was very drinkable.

The second place I had it was at the Shady Grove in Austin. Just as good as the first time, I was very impressed with it. (541 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

“Don’t look for Live Oak at 7-11 anytime soon” remarked brewer Chip McElroy when asked if his draught only offerings were going to be bottled.

Focus is a good thing.

Live Oak does German styles well and their Oaktoberfest is no exception.
Good malt body with hints of caramel supporting the higher ABV. Enjoy the finish as the hops come in to balance the experience. (377 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler into a Willi Becher pint. The appearance is phenomenal! It pours with perfect clarity, showing off moderate carbonation through the beautiful amber gold body, with rose-colored highlights throughout. This is all capped by a substantial peach-hued foam that shows true staying power. Very powerful, and absolutely perfect for the marzen style.

The aroma is just right for the style. Whiffs of honey malt, toasted bread, and a faint caramel sweetness all come together in the bouquet, and show that this beer is primarily focused on the rich malts put into the brew. Some hints of Noble hops are there as well, though clearly only as a supporting role.

Oaktoberfest possesses a sweet malt flavor, followed mid-palate by a gentle German hop bitterness that trails into the aftertaste. The medium bodied beer has ample carbonation for a German-style lager, and the finish is long and very smooth, with barely a hint of bitterness. The flavor carries notes of honey and caramel, almost so sweet that it seems to have a fruity quality, but it does not. The hop bitterness mid-palate has a grassy bite to it. The toasted malt flavor linger long into the aftertaste.

This is a delicious beer, with a solid malt profile that is evenly balanced with true Noble hop flavor and bitterness. It's very much in the style of an authentic German marzen, and I am impressed with this beer quite a bit. Far better than many other "Oktoberfest" beers out there. An almost perfect pint. Another solid German-style beer from Live Oak! (1,538 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours deep amber in color with a creamy off-white head that settles into a good amount of lace. Nose is sweet and malty and very inviting. Moderate in body and rather creamy in texture. Taste begins with sweet caramel malt and a bit of toffee followed by some bready notes. Fruity hops come along towards the end giving a nice balance to the beer. Very nice—one of my favorite oktoberfests. Sampled on-tap at the Addison Flying Saucer. (436 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +18.2%

On tap at Dog&Duck, Austin.

Nothing quite as exciting as a new keg of the latest Live Oak seasonal. There's a small, dense head. It's a deep cream color, almost tan, and fades evenly to a thin ring. Almost no lacing on the (slightly damp) glass. The beer is dark amber, clear, with a few sluggish, lumbering bubbles of carbonation. A flowery, fruity, hoppy nose only hints at the deep caramel malt to come. Front is tangy. Middle is fruity with almost overwhelming caramel maltiness. Sweetish, but definitely not syrupy or sugary. Nice, bitter hoppy finish shows some roasty grains. And still plenty of caramel left over.

This is an aggressive oktoberfest. It's overflowing with tangy fruit, caramel and flowery hops. Wow. (728 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +18.4%

Best Octoberfest I have ever had (probably due to freshness). It had about a half inch head that lingered for 5 minutes or. (I took my time) I have never seen a head like that on a lager style beer. Fairly strong okfest, ABV wise... I would guess %6-7.

There was a lot going on flavor wise. As the beer warmed a little, the flavor of apples an other fruits became more prominant... Live Oak has got to start bottling! (420 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last