Live Oak Old Tree Hugger Barleywine - Live Oak Brewing Company

Live Oak Old Tree Hugger BarleywineLive Oak Old Tree Hugger Barleywine

Live Oak Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

American Barleywine |  11.50% ABV

(Beer added by: chadspivey on 12-09-2006)
Reviews by elNopalero:
4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

A big malty thick delicious barleywine? Sign me up.

This is a dark caramel amber in color with low, bubbly foam. It has a thick, malty aroma, with some caramel and roasty coconut notes. I pick up a thick sweetness rounded by more roasted coconut. Reminds me of a Scotch ale in that regard. Malty, with a subdued hoppiness, and a thick chewy finish. A real enjoyable sipper.

elNopalero, Feb 14, 2012

Tiernan, May 14, 2013
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

Had this one tap at the gingerman in Austin. A 2006 keg tapped in 2008. I haven't had a lot o beer with age on it especially beers like barelywine which people recommend laying down for a while. I understand why you do it now. Old Treehugger was like nothing I've tasted. It smelled like dates, caramel, and vanilla with some mild hops(little piney) as well. The taste was a huge blast of caramel and vanilla with the fruit smells fading back and the hops coming forward. Very balanced between the strong sweet flavors and the piney hops. Creamy in the mouth and the alcohol gave the sensation of warmth in the mouth in a great way. Only had a half pint and savored it the whole time. There are more subtle flavors (slightly fruity) that I couldn't describe but really enjoyed. It became more complex as it warmed. I hope Live Oak makes this again. It's really something special.

hopsleeroy, Jan 30, 2008

On tap at the Whip In in Austin. Not sure of the vintage, but I think it is at least a couple of years old.

The beer pours a dark brownish-red color with a tan head. The aroma is a mix of dark fruit and caramel malt - exactly what you would expect from a barleywine. The flavor is chocolate, caramel, dark fruit and some alcohol. The beer is slightly boozy and is very sweet. I also get the slightest bit of tobacco in the beer. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Glad I got to try this one.

Mora2000, Oct 25, 2010

IrishGermanAmerican, Jan 23, 2013

Djenx, Jul 18, 2012

mhenson42, Dec 03, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

Had this on draft from Uncle Billy's on 4/22/07, served in a wine glass.

Dark maple syrup color with a great soft head that stays till the end.

Smells wonderful, like creme brule with some fruit.

The taste is very sweet and buttery or creme brulee-like with some fig and candied orange.

This is actually pretty balanced for a barleywine, the sweetness prevailing but kept in check by some good fruity bitterness.

BeerZack, Apr 24, 2007

Dwtucker90, Nov 25, 2012

nickhiller, Dec 01, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

LadyOfMuchBeer, Jan 30, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Had this in a 2 oz. pour at the Flying Saucer beer fest and was impressed enough to get an 8 oz. pour at the Draught House on 10/25/2010.

A - An inviting dark copper.

S - Poured without much of a head... but I was able to pick up some of the sweetness and dark fruits. The smell was the least impressive part of the beer.

T - One word quickly comes to mind - raisins. Also some underlying sticky toffee notes. Surprisingly, it's not overpoweringly boozy for a 14% ABV beer.

M - Thick and rich. The beer wonderfully coated my entire mouth.

D - Shockingly good. For how big of a beer this (definitely a sipper), it went down extremely fast. I had it for the first time two weeks ago and I had to have it again when I saw it.

Overall, drinking this is an excellent beer experience. I had a smile on my face the entire time I was drinking it and I wouldn't hesitate getting it again if I have the opportunity.

UTCengOwl, Oct 26, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

$4 for a 9oz snifter at Black Star Co-op. A full pour seemed too heavy. Brewed Jan 2010. Limited keg-only release in Dec 2010.

Low carbonation but not inappropriate for the style. The tiny bubbles that group like little galaxies. Dense.

With a small amount of liquid, color is of a cognac; an amber-copper that reflects the light beautifully. Thick yet brilliant clarity. With a bigger pour, noticeably darker than most barleywines, but not roasty.

Aroma is of maple and nuttiness. Toffee-like English malt flavours. Smells of some of the intricacies of an aged rum or Cognac, but without the harshness.

Maple dominates. Toffee, figs, some light wood and vanilla, grapes. Caramelized malt. Restrained bitterness.

Very thick. Long lingering sweetness of brown sugar.

It's the sweetness not the alcohol presence that makes this less drinkable. Alcohol is well hidden for 13.5%.

Definitely worth trying, but not as worth seeking out as the release a few years ago.

MEsquandoles, Feb 15, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -18%

notalumberjack, Feb 25, 2012

Sudsday, Jul 19, 2013
4.68/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap served in a snifter @ Cottonwood. Man I love this beer, too bad its rarely brewed. I believe the keg is two years old! Ringing in at 14%

A beautiful deep amber color, light creamy head. The nose is of caramel, toffee, and brown sugar. Taste is full of caramel, slight hint of vanilla, and some charred orange. Nice and thick on the mouth feel. Its perfect for the chillier months. A great sipper and my opinion the best Barleywine brewed in TX! Though I love Sisyphus from Real Ale aged, this one tops even that. Cheers

Dajtai007, Jan 10, 2013
4.72/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the barrel-aged version from late '06.

A: dark amber color with a nice one finger head.

S: Vanilla, caramel, malt, booze.

T: Vanilla, caramel, booze, fig, raisns, candied orange. The two flavors that stick out the most is vanilla and caramel. Words really can't describe how much I like this beer. It's Freakin' Delicious.

M: not as thick as a a stout, but thicker than an average barleywine. sure does warm the throat.

D: Very drinkable considering the alcohol percentage. This one could get you into a lot of trouble...

chadspivey, Feb 19, 2008

JohnBender, May 26, 2012
4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

Man, oh man, this was a spectacular barleywine. Thank you Chad, for letting me know that the Gingerman was going to tap the one keg they had left. I owe you buddy.

As far as I can tell, this keg was from late 2006. Time has treated this brew extremely well.

Served in a half pint glass.

Appearance - It is a deep caramel amber brown color, comletely transparent. It is produced a single finger head that had amazing retention - it left a ton of lacing behind.

Smell - The nose on this brew is awesome. It smells of rum raisin, pear, and booze with a HUGE vanilla and caramel scent. It has a very slight hop scent at the end, which is somewhat piney.

Taste - The flavor is as equally appealing as the scent, and they smell and taste exactly the same. It is an equal mix of booze, malt and hops in perfect balance with one another - the way a barleywine should taste.

Mouthfeel - This beer is definitely full bodied. It leaves both a sticky and oily feel in the mouth. The carbonation level is awesome - not too low to feel flat, and not to lively to detract from the flavor.

Drinkability - The drinkability is nothing short of awesome. I have heard that Live Oak doesn't have any plans to make this one again, and I seriously hope that isn't true. This is probably my favorite barleywine to date, and I have been to the Gingerman three times this week just to make sure that I get my fill of it before it disappears. I suggest that you do the same.

MiguelMandingo, Jan 14, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

ATXRyan, Aug 04, 2012

greenspointexas, Dec 14, 2013

SBoyar1, Jan 28, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Tried this tonight at Opal Divines.

The best way to describe this beer is full of flavor! This brew has more hops and malt than anything I have tasted in a long time, if not the most flavorful beer ever. While that is a good thing, it has its limitation in the the fact that the taste is actually a little overkill in my opinion. The sip starts off with a huge amount of malt sweetness from several different kinds of fruit flavors that fades to a very bitter, spicy hop flavor to balance everything out. All throughout, a good amount of alcholol flavor is present. The alcholol is so strong that if I inhaled at all while sipping, it somewhat burnt my nose. I have to give the brewers at Live Oak credit for being able to balance such a huge beer.

I will admit, I am normally not a huge fan of a beer this strong (normally doppel bock is about as strong as I enjoy), but this beer is one awesome brew that is defenitely not for the faint hearted. The only reason for my somewhat lower rating on taste would be that in my opinion, the malt and hops are just out of wack, as they simply come on too much for the beer to be enjoyed the whole time I drank it. The flavor and amount of body is simply overwhelming, and for anybody that wants to be warmed on a cold day or just have a beer that is simply overwhelming but fairly drinkable, this would be a good choice.

AustinBeerLvr, Jan 18, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

WILD-THING, Today at 03:06 PM
4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

Oh, sweet mystery of life at last I've found you! At last, I know the secret of it all! Enjoyed at the Draught House 41st anniversary party this evening.

A: Hazy caramel/amber color. Not a ton of head, but it's on cask. On appearance, it looked like it had quite the body to it.

S: Candy and malts. Very sugary aroma, some hops to it but not much. Really impressive, very appetizing, falls somewhere between vanilla, brown sugar, and molasses.

T: Lighter than I anticipated. A sipper for sure but very drinkable. Boozy, creamy, carmel, vanilla. Quite a pleasant amount of sugariness to it that doesn't come off as being too sweet.

M: Great body to it, absolutely wonderful.

D: Most drinkable barleywine I have ever had.

aggiearcher13, Nov 08, 2009