Live Oak Primus Weizenbock - Live Oak Brewing Company

Live Oak Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Weizenbock |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 11-24-2008

Appearance: Hazy mahogany, absolutely beautiful when held up to a light.

Smell: Banana, clove and awesome

Taste: Words can't describe how good this beer is. I won't even bother trying.

Mouthfeel: Thick and rich and silky smooth.

Overall: I've been waiting all year for this beer and it absolutely lives up to expectations. Hands down the best brew available on the market until it's retired for the season. I'd give my firstborn child if Live Oak would brew this year round.

4.94/5  rDev +18.2%

The degree to which this was amazing took me by surprise. The server told me it wass like a barleywine. That was clearly not true on the first sip. Having never experienced a weizenbock before, I still didn't know what it WAS, all I could tell is that it rocked my world. It was like this beer was made for me. I'm surprised so many people agree because I have such odd preferences.
The key feature of this beer was a surprisingly smooth banana flavour. Banana is often a sign of a malty beer oxidizing, but in this beer, it is a character that goes very well with the rest of the beer, while giving it a raw, primal feel, like you're drinking something that was found in a shipwreck off the coast of Gaul. It just tastes like a primitive, but simultaneously amazing variation on beer. It's also surprisingly thin for how malty it is, not in the least but sticky or cloying.
I have ordered this 3 times now at Alamo Drafthouse even though usually I always try a new "Badass beer" every time I go. I'm disappointed that I can't buy it in bottles and that's the only place I know that sells it. All I can say is, if you know a place to get this, GO. Imbibe. It's well worth it. Good luck.

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

Growler poured into a British style pint glass

Wow. What an amazing beer.

I've never had this style before. I wasn't planning on getting it when I walked into Premium Draught in Houston, but after trying it I was sold.

Discussed it with the store owner... it's just a hard beer to describe... it certainly has that Hefe smell and taste in parts... but there are other things going on also.. maybe a bit of a Bock taste... as I've said, it's hard to describe... but all I know is this is a great beer being made in Austin, Texas and since it's seasonal, I'm going to start watching for it around ever December!

On the Ford scale of Deliciousness... this one is at the top...

Magically Delicious!

4.6/5  rDev +10%

Had this on tap the other night at the Flying Saucer in Ft Worth. It was a real dark beer, dark brownish in color. I really enjoyed the smells it gave off especially for a dark beer, very fruity smell that was mostly banana. It tasted great too, it was very hoppy that was mixed with fruits and wasn't filling like a dark beer normally is. I thought it was an exceptional beer that was very drinkable. I even had a second. My girlfriend also loved this beer and she isn't a fan of beer at all!

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

Sampled at the Flying Saucer, San Antonio

A - Pours a dark, cloudy mahogony with a weak head that dissipates into a thin layer of foam. Lacing is light.

S - Banana, clove, citrus, and spice, as expected.

T - Tons of banana and citrus flavors complimented by clove and spice. There were some sour lemon notes up front that complimented everything else nicely. Very tasty!

M - Full-bodied and exquisitely rich. Finishes medium-dry with some spice lingering on the palate.

D - A very enjoyable beer and a great representation of the style. However, the richness of it would make it difficult to have more than a couple. Once again, the guys at Live Oak have shown their ability emulate the finest styles of German beers.

4.54/5  rDev +8.6%

A - Dark brown with tiny amber tint. Two fingers of head that lasted a decent time. Medium lacing.

S - Smells of banana and clove throughout. Overall smell of bubble gum comes through.

T - Starts with a clove taste that smooths out into a banana taste. Finishes with a clove pinch. Has a bubble gum taste to it.

M - Medium body with some decent carbonation on finish. A tiny bit of oily feel in middle.

D - At 8% this beer does not have an overpowering alcohol warming to it but it does posses some. Not for every night but a well balanced beer that would be perfect in winter.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

The Primus poured a an opaque deep rich amber brown with a huge fluffy tan head. The aroma was pure bubblegum banana bliss that hit all the perfect hefeweizen notes along with the spicy yeast and slight bits of sweet pear underneath. The taste was sublime and the mouthfeel was rich and creamy and all that I want in a weizenbock. The bubblegum and banana flavors dominated along with the yeast and strong hefeweizen spice notes that were expertly balanced. The Primus has to be on of the best Weizenbocks I have had and second only to Aventinus (although it is a Weizen Doppelbock) and my favorite Live Oak beer. This rich, creamy, satisfying brew was a real treat and something to look forward to every year.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

A: In my Duvel tulip, this poured a magnificent two-finger head. The color is murky and earthy, like a deep, viscous brown. The lacing is thick and clumped.

S: Banana, clove, and a slight acidity that I can't quite place. The subtlety of the spice here is really nice and complex.

T: Wow, that took me by surprise. Do I detect hints of cinnamon, maybe even all-spice? Bready malt and yeasty strains like a tripel are present, too. This is really pretty solid. Very unusual with the spices playing the largest role. Alcohol-soaked bananas and cream, too.

M: Medium-bodied and just barely effervescent on the tongue, it doesn't linger long, but it does trail with a slight spice quality. This would be a great gateway beer to true Belgian tripels and quadrupels.

O: Live Oak's Big Bark was one of my first craft beer love affairs, and this brings back that fondness for getting me started on good beer. Well done, Live Oak. You do Texas proud.

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

A: Copper/brown and cloudy. Very nice foamy head, about a cm thick. Good lacing.

S: Banana, clove, cider, bubblegum. Fruity and toasty.

T: Tastes very Bavarian, almost like a pretzel. Tastes very similar to smell - cider, banana, etc. Roasted malts really shine.

M: Medium bodied, smooth carbonation, a tiny bit of alcohol burn, but overall dangerously easy and pleasant to drink for an 8%

O: Reminds me of a milder version of Aventinus. Tastes very authentic, delicious.

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I had this on tap at the Gingerman in Houston. The beer was dark brown and hazy, with a thick off-white foam that lasted forever. There was a strong aroma of bananas & cloves, rich and delicious, honestly this smelled like Aventinus. Same with the taste, the essence of Aventinus, right down to the slightly bitter aftertaste and hint of lactose. Live Oak seems on a mission to replicate the best German beers, I've been very pleased with the several I've tried (hefeweizen, Primus, Oaktoberfest).

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a murky brown with a thin head. Smells of dark, caramel malts, and a huge punch of hefe yeast: lots of banana, but overwhelmingly clove-y. Flavor is classic weizenbock: banana nut bread, slight booze, yeasty esters and phenols. Clove is the strongest player here. Sweet finish. Mouthfeel is full and a bit sticky with some stinging carbonation. Awesome example of a weizenbock. Hard to believe this was made in the US.

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%

A - pours up acloudy brown with little to no head

S - light banana aroma. Delicious!

T - sweet malts with that nice melanoidin flavor a finishes with a great banana flavor

M - full bodied with medium carbonation

D - nice easy drinking beer. Wish I could find this at home

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

On tap at the Flying Saucer

Pours ½ finger of beige head. Color is a murky caramel brown.

Aroma: Wheat, bananas, cloves, light bubblegum, caramel, and chocolate. Fairly sweet. Nice.

Taste: Wheat, bananas, nuts, cloves, cocoa powder. Sweet and roasted. It also has some more bubblegum flavors. Awesome beer.

Mouthfeel: Roasted and sweet. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends clean and roasted.

Overall, this was one of the best of my trip. This is a great bock and very drinkable. I wanted to get more of this beer. I really enjoyed this one. Glad I had a chance to try it.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

On tap in a goblet.

A - moderate tan head that resolves after a few min into a fraction of the size with lots of lacing

S - super wheat odor with some chocolate malt undertone

T - amazing banana blast with a hint caramel malt background

M - very light without much oiliness or carbonation

D - really drinkable - goes down very easy!

Great beer, especially if you like bananas.

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Obtained my second growler of this fine beverage in a local-for-local trade with Phoenix2443. Although I still like Live Oak's stellar hefeweizen better, Primus is an outstanding American-brewed weizenbock in the traditional Bavarian style.

Appearance: Pours a rich, deep, nearly opaque color somewhere between mahogany and black. Even after a few days in transit, a confident pour yields a quickly receding two-finger khaki head. Primus has the look of a classic dark weizenbock along the lines of Schneider Aventinus.

Smell: Wheaty tang, caramelized bananas, brown sugar, and molasses are all there, backed by a faint alcohol astringency. If that funky wheatiness were scaled back just a little, this stuff would have a near-flawless nose. Still, it smells appetizing and true to style.

Taste: Nice. Toast crust, faint brown-sugary sweetness, dry weizen yeast, and a hint of wheaty tang wash over the tongue and down the throat. My only minor quibble here is that the flavors are somewhat fleeting, and that might be due in part to my not having the beer fresh from the tap. It's still pretty awesome.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is on the light side, again probably due to my not having the beer fresh from the tap. It's still carbonated enough, even after a trip in a growler from Texas to Georgia. Primus doesn't have the brilliant creaminess of Live Oak hefeweizen, which actually DOES hold up in transit. Again, though, Primus is sufficiently carbonated to carry its flavors. No real complaints here.

Drinkability: At 8.00% abv, Primus won't exactly bowl you over with its strength, but it's discernibly "warmer" than many wheat beers. Served at refrigerator temperature, Primus is very refreshing, and its moderate strength and flavor profile make it an excellent choice on a cold, damp night (of which there are many in early spring in north Texas and Georgia).

Highly recommended to any wheat beer fan who can get his hands on it. In my view, Live Oak is the best wheat beer brewery in the United States (with Weyerbacher, New Glarus, and Penn all nipping at Live Oak's heels). Nice work by the guys in Austin.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

Served on Draught at the Dallas Ginger Man.

A: Dark caramel color, with moderate head formation and retention

S: The smell is wonderful. Disclaimer, I'm quite a fan of the Hefe, and this has many of the same characteristics, so I may be biased.

Lots of banana and clove, with a touch of roasted malt letting you know you this isn't, in fact, the hefeweizen, but rather something delicious unto itself.

T: Follows the smell closely- clove, banana, a touch of roasted malt. Honestly, it tastes more like a Hefeweizen than a bock, but when the Hefe it resembles is Live Oak, all is well.

M: Creamy, with slightly above average carbonation.

D: Contrary to some of the other reviews, I found this ale to be extremely drinkable. In fact, I couldn't believe it was over 5% ABV, much less 8%.

Much like the LO Hefe, the flavor of this beer is not one that I grow tired of quickly- you could honestly session it if it wasn't for the higher alcohol content.

I had never heard of this offering prior to last night, but decided to try it based on Live Oak's track record of making great brews- boy am I glad I did! I would highly recommend this offering- especially if you're fond of the Hefeweizen Live Oak makes.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap into a shaker glass.

A- Poured a murky brown with off-white frothy head that left no lacing.

S- Big pear, bubblegum, green apple, and some spicy yeast notes in the aroma.

T- Big pear, bubblegum, green apple, clove, spice notes, bready malt, and banana. Lots of clove and spice notes especially on the finish.

M- Prickly carbonation, smooth, dry, medium to fuller bodied, quite a big alcohol warming.

O- A great weizenbock that at some times reminded me of an awesome apple pie with nice sweet and baking spice notes. A really complex beer that revealed a lot of different layers.

4.29/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

On draft at Flying Saucer.

A -- Looks very cloudy and a strange brown color. Had almost no head, though they may have poured it off.

S -- Fruit, almost like bananas and molasses, with a touch of raspberry or something else a little sharp.

T -- Light fruits, sweet with a tiny twang, topped with spices, especially clove. Reminded me a bit of mixing together Juicy Fruit gum with clove. That may not sound great but it tasted great!

M -- nothing out of the ordinary here.

D -- Very easy to drink. It was my first beer of the night and it went down very easily, leaving me wanting more immediately.

Very festive and was great both outside in the cold and inside in the heat.

Note: After having the beer a second time I decided that the look isn't that bad. I just wasn't used to it all, having been unfamiliar with the style. It originally looked like a dirty hefe to me, which was unappealing.

4.29/5  rDev +2.6%

Thank you very much to Michael for sending a growler of this my way. I love me some weizenbock!

A: The beer pours a murky amber color with a large off-white head to go with it.

S: Smells absolutely fantastic. Tons of banana and dark fruits, along with a touch of cola. The yeast is present and there are some of those wonderful clove notes that it contributes. Perhaps just a touch of bubblegum in there, too.

T: Sweet malts, particularly of the caramel variety, and some wheat in there as well. More bubblegum than the aroma lets on along with lots of sweet banana, cola, and dark fruits. A mild spiciness of clove rounds things out.

M: The body is medium with a medium level of carbonation.

D: An absolutely fantastic beer. One of the better weizenbocks I've had period, but especially from a US brewery.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Half inch head recedes to thin cap and color. Murky brown color in the body. Sticky splotchy lacing.

Big time banana bubble gum nose. Could snort this forever.

Follows nose with the Laffy Taffy-esque banana flavors. Potpori mishmash. Good clean finish considering the style. Would guess this one at 7%abv.

Medium mouthfeel, medium-low carbonation for the style- likely due to grumbler package.

What a fun, enjoyable beer! I need more weizenbocks in my life. Thanks for the unexpected grumbler kojevergas!

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

Just finished the last keg. Yeah, it hung around awhile. People don't appreciate good beer. Hope they bring it back next year...

Appearance: dark brown with some amber in the light, medium lacing with tan head.

Smell: cloves, banana

Taste: big on banana sweetness, seasoned with clove favor, balanced with high ABC, brown sugar, some tartnesS.

Mouthfeel: wheaty, creamy, good, tingle

Drinkability: I thought this was a great seasonal. How often do you see weizenbocks around? If they were all like this, the answer should be all the time. A beer lovers beer. Thanks, LO.

4.22/5  rDev +1%

On tap at the Draughthouse.
A: slight head, Brownish black, cloudy
S: clovey, Malty - smells like cheerios.
T: clovey, chewey. Similar character to the Hefeweizen but richer, more body.
M: full, rich.
D: very nice beer. The richness kind of makes it less sessionable, though.
One of the best weizenbocks I've had.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap at Uncle Billy's during a recent trip to Austin.

The beer pours dark brown with a cream colored head. The aroma is strong bananas and wheat. The flavor is bananas, wheat and cloves. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Nothing too complicated or fancy, just a very well executed weizenbock that has no flaws. One of the best beers of this style I have tried.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Poured a dark brown color with a tan head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of bananas and clove in the nose

T - Has a slightly sweet malt with banana and clove flavor

M - This beer has a fuller body with medium carbonation to it

D - I enjoyed this beer a lot it has a very good taste making it so I could drink more of these than I should worth getting to try if you see it on tap

REVIEW #600!

On tap at the Whip-In, Austin.
8oz pour into a stemless, over-sized wine glass.

Hands down, Live Oak's Primus Weizenbock is a beauty. The deep mahogany body shows an attractive murkiness and depth to its hue, while up top, the towering ocher head retains effortlessly and leaves speckles of foamy lace. The nose is equally as impressive, with rich aromas of clove, ripened banana, browned apple flesh, caramel malt, and baker's yeast.

The flavor is just as complex as the aroma, starting with sweeter notes of dark bread and banana-nut muffins. Finishes strong, with a smooth, boozy warmth that balances nicely alongside earthen notes of wood and peat. Near-perfect body to this brew, with its creamy, medium-thick consistency and gentle carbonation level. With their phenomenal Hefeweizen, impressive Pilsner, and a newly added Weizenbock to their repertoire, LiveOak seems intent on recreating the German beer experience here in Texas. And for that, I couldn't be happier.

Live Oak Primus Weizenbock from Live Oak Brewing Company