1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Live Oak Primus Weizenbock - Live Oak Brewing Company

Live Oak Primus WeizenbockLive Oak Primus Weizenbock

Live Oak Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Weizenbock |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 11-24-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Live Oak Primus Weizenbock Alström Bros

Appearance: Hazy mahogany, absolutely beautiful when held up to a light.

Smell: Banana, clove and awesome

Taste: Words can't describe how good this beer is. I won't even bother trying.

Mouthfeel: Thick and rich and silky smooth.

Overall: I've been waiting all year for this beer and it absolutely lives up to expectations. Hands down the best brew available on the market until it's retired for the season. I'd give my firstborn child if Live Oak would brew this year round.

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

The degree to which this was amazing took me by surprise. The server told me it wass like a barleywine. That was clearly not true on the first sip. Having never experienced a weizenbock before, I still didn't know what it WAS, all I could tell is that it rocked my world. It was like this beer was made for me. I'm surprised so many people agree because I have such odd preferences.
The key feature of this beer was a surprisingly smooth banana flavour. Banana is often a sign of a malty beer oxidizing, but in this beer, it is a character that goes very well with the rest of the beer, while giving it a raw, primal feel, like you're drinking something that was found in a shipwreck off the coast of Gaul. It just tastes like a primitive, but simultaneously amazing variation on beer. It's also surprisingly thin for how malty it is, not in the least but sticky or cloying.
I have ordered this 3 times now at Alamo Drafthouse even though usually I always try a new "Badass beer" every time I go. I'm disappointed that I can't buy it in bottles and that's the only place I know that sells it. All I can say is, if you know a place to get this, GO. Imbibe. It's well worth it. Good luck.

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

Growler poured into a British style pint glass

Wow. What an amazing beer.

I've never had this style before. I wasn't planning on getting it when I walked into Premium Draught in Houston, but after trying it I was sold.

Discussed it with the store owner... it's just a hard beer to describe... it certainly has that Hefe smell and taste in parts... but there are other things going on also.. maybe a bit of a Bock taste... as I've said, it's hard to describe... but all I know is this is a great beer being made in Austin, Texas and since it's seasonal, I'm going to start watching for it around ever December!

On the Ford scale of Deliciousness... this one is at the top...

Magically Delicious!