Live Oak Primus Weizenbock - Live Oak Brewing Company

Weizenbock |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 11-24-2008

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.81/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: Pours a murky brown/ruby color. A one finger beige head forms and leaves light lace.
S: I detect some banana and spicy clove. A touch of roasted malt. Not much else.
T: Follows the nose. Banana and lots of clove. Really, not much else to note. Tastes like the hefe, but with just a touch more roasted flavor.
M/D: This has a full body that is well carbonated for my tastes. Easy and smooth to drink. I would not have a problem making this a session, even at 8% ABV.

There is nothing wrong with this Weizenbock. It is very enjoyable, and something I look forward to every year. Just not among my favorites of this particularly great brewery.

2.98/5  rDev -28.7%

On tap from Flying Saucer, Austin.
A: Cloudy mid-brown with orange highlights. A finger head of cream that quickly dissipated to a thin film which persisted for the duration of the pint.
S&T: Dominated by banana. The strong banana smell and aftertaste obliterated the rest of the experience. This was my first Weizenbock and may be par for the style but for me the esters took over the beer.
M: Middling and appropriate.
D: Low for me but I hope some weizenbock or dunkel lovers review for comparison!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last