2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Helles Rauchlager - Live Oak Brewing Company

Helles Rauchlager
No picture uploaded.

Live Oak Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: beeragent on 08-08-2013)
View: Beers (17) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 13 | Reviews: 2 | Show All Ratings:
ExaltedNecrosis

4.76/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Big Hops in San Antonio, TX.

A - Beautiful golden hue, semi-clear with a finger of white head which leaves good amount of lacing

S - Wow, the aroma is very strong smoke and sweet malt. Hits you right in the nose. Smells wonderful.

T - Taste follows the nose, and it is delicious. Smoked malt dominates with a large underlying sweetness. Bitterness is minimal, no significant hop profile that I can detect, but it doesn't need one. Despite being smokey and malty, it is still balanced with a little bit of bitterness on the end.

M - What more can I say, the mouthfeel is perfect. High level of carbonation that makes the sweet smokiness just pop on your tongue, very crisp and refreshing. I could drink this all day and not get sick of the smoke. Smoke and slight bitterness lingers long after each sip.

O - I knew nothing about this before ordering, and boy am I glad I did. One of the best beers I've ever had, and I think I like it even more than Live Oak Hefeweizen, which is fantastic. I've certainly never had a lager this good. The smoke is strong but not overpowering, and the sweetness and bitterness balance it out along with the great mouthfeel and it all combines to make an almost perfect beer. I will be seeking this one out again.

08-14-2013 21:34:01 | More by ExaltedNecrosis
beeragent

4.74/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

On tap: Poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a clear light straw, forming a white 1/2 inch head with heavy rings of lace.

S - Strong aroma of smoked malts that dominates the nose (just as a good smoked beer should!)

T - The smoked malt dominates the palate at first but gives way to a slight hop bitterness in the finish. Very simple yet full of flavor.

M - Perfect mouthfeel. Crisp and clean with great carbonation. Light yet the taste lingers long after the finish.

O - Oh man, has Live Oak ever made a bad beer! Amazing is all I can say. They nailed this one. It's defined as a smoked helles and I have to say this is spot on for what it is. Awesome job!!!!

08-08-2013 18:02:20 | More by beeragent