Drake's IPA - Drake's Brewing Co.

Drake's IPADrake's IPA

Drake's Brewing Co. visit their website

"Drake's flagship beer! A "West Coast" interpretation of an India Pale Ale. Copper-colored from additions of light Crystal malt, and body-building Caramalt, carry the malt weight of this hop bomb. The hoppy aromas of pine and grapefruit are delivered from the abundant Columbus and Cascade hops."

(Beer added by: drewbage on 06-09-2003)
2.23/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap. Pours a clear, fairly light golden amber with a small white head that settles to a ring and leaves some light lacing on the glass. The aroma is pine, caramel, butter, and some light floral notes. The initial taste is pine and dank hops with some caramel. The finish has a bit of bitterness and lots of buttered popcorn. Much more diacetyl in the palate than the nose. Medium-heavy body. Medium carbonation. This was not very enjoyable. If there was any more diacetyl it would have been undrinkable.

jethrodium, Jun 07, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

Adkins1203, Jan 18, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

fredmugs, Jan 13, 2013
2.73/5  rDev -29.6%

"Drake's flagship beer!" - now that's damned embarrassing.

Poured from a bottle into a Stone IPA fluted-goblet (doesn't that sound nice?) Looks like and IPA as it is golden amber in color with 2 fingers of an off white head. Looks well carbonated.

Smells vaguely of hops but this is a malty one. Some citrus, what I smell here my friends is one malty son-of-a-bitch. Not sure how fresh this is but the generous trader who included this along with Drake's Hopocolypse as extras (which was tasty as fuck), seemed fresh so I'll assume that this bottle was as well.

Tastes a little citrusy with lots of bitterness, but the malt dominates again.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and this is easy to drink, but I will no longer subject my liver to any more of these.

Thanks again for the trade and for including this as an extra!

Lunch, Apr 21, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -29.1%

Zbeetleman, Jul 07, 2013
2.83/5  rDev -27.1%

Bought a six pack from Bevmo. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a mug.

A. Light brown and kinda Orangy-Amber. All the beers had a HUGE white head. Even with a soft pour the head billowed over the top after 3/4 of the our. Solid 1/2 - 1 inch of foam looked like whip cream floated through the finsh of the beer. Heavily carbinated.

S. Fruity, citrusy: orange and grapefruits. A little malt sweetness.

T. Pretty average, wondering how old the bottle is as the finish is a little dry and the carbination is so heavy. Spicy/peppery hop flavor, but not very much hops coming through.

M. medium body, very carbinated

D. Not my favorite IPA. Too carbinated to drink more than one.

JamesP123, Apr 02, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -24%

Big thanks to Abecall98 for providing me with this beer in a recent trade. Excellent trader.

Beer pours with a soapy/foamy head that is rather aggressive. There is an large amount of lacing that remains behind in the glass. The beer is a bright orange/amber color with very nice clarity. A decent amount of visible carbonation is evident.

Aroma is decidedly of lightly toasted malt and some spices. A little soapy actually. Fresh but not hoppy really at all.

Interesting flavor. The soapy theme carries on. Slightly sweet. A nice touch of spice and black pepper. Then some toasted malt and a big push from the yeast. I was quite taken by the yeasty nature of this. This is the 2nd one of these I've had and both tasted the same way. Both were decanted, so I don't believe I stirred up any sediment. (note beer is crystal clear)

Mouth feel is medium bodied and quite slick. Peppery and carbonation really make this pop in your mouth.

Not among my favorite IPA's. I see it's listed as an English vs. American. So that probably explains some of this. Still, not sure I'll get more of this again.

Reagan1984, Mar 06, 2009

Nbdreher, Aug 19, 2014

sharpski, Oct 01, 2013

tommyguz, May 13, 2013
3.08/5  rDev -20.6%

Pours a clear copper color with golden edges with a couple fingers of off-white head that recedes to a relatively thick layer that hangs in for the duration.

Aroma starts off strong citrus and piney hops, but the hops fade out quickly leaving some traces of sweet caramel but that's about it. I've never had an IPA's aroma fade that fast.

Taste is mildly bitter citrus at first, but it turns quickly into a strong caramel sweetness that goes all the way through to the finish. I can't tell if the malts are overpowering or the hops are just on the weak side.

Mouthfeel is a little on the light side but carbonation is up to par. It goes down smooth and easy, but I like a little more citrus and a little less malt in my IPA's.

321jeff, Oct 20, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -18%

a: clear amber body with a thin creamy head.

s: pine, citrus, caramel and more pine.

t: pine, citrus, pine, caramel, pine and more pine.

m: medium body nice carbonation. dry from start to finish.

o: alittle too piney and dry for me. i prefer ipa to be juicy citrus flavors with a touch of sticky oil on my cheeks. not bad if you like drinkin christmas tree.

match1112, Jul 03, 2012
3.23/5  rDev -16.8%

Not really my cup of tea, but I can appreciate what they were going for here.

Pours a murky, muted, hazy orange. Like no other IPA-esque beer I've ever seen. Thick white head that lasted a shockingly long time.

Smells earthy, piney, and ... a bit like listerine, IMHO. The taste is citrus and pine, but with none of the sweet grapefruit tropical notes that I like in IPAs. There is a bitter twang/astringency to it that I really don't particularly care for.

Mouthfeel is vicacious and lively.

Overlord, Jul 17, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -16.8%

A: Nice light coloration. Slightly speckeled and lightly opaque. Decent head and nice lacing!

S: Almost get more malts than hops on this one. Definitely a bit of hops towards the back though.

T: More bitterness than the smell would lead one to believe. Very light but with a lingering bitterness. Reminds me of an orange that has sat out a little too long.

M: Carbonation is a bit sharp for me. Probably the least appealing factor.

D: I could have one once in a while but I wouldnt ask for one. Would be nice on a hot day. Not a good beer to finish off the night with.

Pehlman, Sep 06, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours a clear gold copper with a metallic flare. A half finger soapy white head sits on top. This would surely lace well if I wasn't swirling it all the time. Biscuit & caramel hit the nose first, followed by mostly floral hops with some pine, citrus, and sappiness. Malt is more prominent than the hops to me. Biscuit comes to the palate first and stays the whole time. The hops are mainly for bittering, coming in the finish. The malt is pleasurable, but a little too pungent and sits on the back of the tongue. The feel is balanced as is the finish.

I'm a little torn. I want more hop aroma, to be honest. I feel like this is an English IPA that's hopped with West Coast varietals. My suggestion would be to dry hop with citra or some other aromatic hop to bring it a little more to the hoppy side, which is exactly how I like it. Fairly solid, but there are better IPAs out there. I'll look for their seasonals for the style I'm craving.

Philousa, Aug 02, 2012
Drake's IPA from Drake's Brewing Co.