Drake's IPA - Drake's Brewing Co.

Drake's IPADrake's IPA

Drake's Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: drewbage on 06-09-2003

"Drake's flagship beer! A "West Coast" interpretation of an India Pale Ale. Copper-colored from additions of light Crystal malt, and body-building Caramalt, carry the malt weight of this hop bomb. The hoppy aromas of pine and grapefruit are delivered from the abundant Columbus and Cascade hops."
2.26/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap. Pours a clear, fairly light golden amber with a small white head that settles to a ring and leaves some light lacing on the glass. The aroma is pine, caramel, butter, and some light floral notes. The initial taste is pine and dank hops with some caramel. The finish has a bit of bitterness and lots of buttered popcorn. Much more diacetyl in the palate than the nose. Medium-heavy body. Medium carbonation. This was not very enjoyable. If there was any more diacetyl it would have been undrinkable.

2.74/5  rDev -30.1%

"Drake's flagship beer!" - now that's damned embarrassing.

Poured from a bottle into a Stone IPA fluted-goblet (doesn't that sound nice?) Looks like and IPA as it is golden amber in color with 2 fingers of an off white head. Looks well carbonated.

Smells vaguely of hops but this is a malty one. Some citrus, what I smell here my friends is one malty son-of-a-bitch. Not sure how fresh this is but the generous trader who included this along with Drake's Hopocolypse as extras (which was tasty as fuck), seemed fresh so I'll assume that this bottle was as well.

Tastes a little citrusy with lots of bitterness, but the malt dominates again.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and this is easy to drink, but I will no longer subject my liver to any more of these.

Thanks again for the trade and for including this as an extra!

2.82/5  rDev -28.1%

Bought a six pack from Bevmo. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a mug.

A. Light brown and kinda Orangy-Amber. All the beers had a HUGE white head. Even with a soft pour the head billowed over the top after 3/4 of the our. Solid 1/2 - 1 inch of foam looked like whip cream floated through the finsh of the beer. Heavily carbinated.

S. Fruity, citrusy: orange and grapefruits. A little malt sweetness.

T. Pretty average, wondering how old the bottle is as the finish is a little dry and the carbination is so heavy. Spicy/peppery hop flavor, but not very much hops coming through.

M. medium body, very carbinated

D. Not my favorite IPA. Too carbinated to drink more than one.

2.95/5  rDev -24.7%

Big thanks to Abecall98 for providing me with this beer in a recent trade. Excellent trader.

Beer pours with a soapy/foamy head that is rather aggressive. There is an large amount of lacing that remains behind in the glass. The beer is a bright orange/amber color with very nice clarity. A decent amount of visible carbonation is evident.

Aroma is decidedly of lightly toasted malt and some spices. A little soapy actually. Fresh but not hoppy really at all.

Interesting flavor. The soapy theme carries on. Slightly sweet. A nice touch of spice and black pepper. Then some toasted malt and a big push from the yeast. I was quite taken by the yeasty nature of this. This is the 2nd one of these I've had and both tasted the same way. Both were decanted, so I don't believe I stirred up any sediment. (note beer is crystal clear)

Mouth feel is medium bodied and quite slick. Peppery and carbonation really make this pop in your mouth.

Not among my favorite IPA's. I see it's listed as an English vs. American. So that probably explains some of this. Still, not sure I'll get more of this again.

3.11/5  rDev -20.7%

Pours a clear copper color with golden edges with a couple fingers of off-white head that recedes to a relatively thick layer that hangs in for the duration.

Aroma starts off strong citrus and piney hops, but the hops fade out quickly leaving some traces of sweet caramel but that's about it. I've never had an IPA's aroma fade that fast.

Taste is mildly bitter citrus at first, but it turns quickly into a strong caramel sweetness that goes all the way through to the finish. I can't tell if the malts are overpowering or the hops are just on the weak side.

Mouthfeel is a little on the light side but carbonation is up to par. It goes down smooth and easy, but I like a little more citrus and a little less malt in my IPA's.

3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

a: clear amber body with a thin creamy head.

s: pine, citrus, caramel and more pine.

t: pine, citrus, pine, caramel, pine and more pine.

m: medium body nice carbonation. dry from start to finish.

o: alittle too piney and dry for me. i prefer ipa to be juicy citrus flavors with a touch of sticky oil on my cheeks. not bad if you like drinkin christmas tree.

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

Appearance: Red-amber and faintly hazy with a fluffy white head.

Smell: Nice strong hop smell - pine, faint citrus and flowers.

Taste: Bitter up front that quickly turns ashen. Very light sweetness and malt kicks in, but are not enough to cover the ash. Faint alcohol at the end. Aftertaste fades quickly.

Mouthfeel: Moderately thick and carbonated.

Overall: Good smell, but I was not a fan of the taste. It's not that this is too bitter, but something about the taste of this made the bitterness unappealing.

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

Not really my cup of tea, but I can appreciate what they were going for here.

Pours a murky, muted, hazy orange. Like no other IPA-esque beer I've ever seen. Thick white head that lasted a shockingly long time.

Smells earthy, piney, and ... a bit like listerine, IMHO. The taste is citrus and pine, but with none of the sweet grapefruit tropical notes that I like in IPAs. There is a bitter twang/astringency to it that I really don't particularly care for.

Mouthfeel is vicacious and lively.

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

(Bottle 12oz, revisited) golden peachy color, toasted malt flavor, bitter enough but nothing earthy or floral, still good though.

1500 (favorable)
Denogiznizer (favorable)

3.26/5  rDev -16.8%

A: Nice light coloration. Slightly speckeled and lightly opaque. Decent head and nice lacing!

S: Almost get more malts than hops on this one. Definitely a bit of hops towards the back though.

T: More bitterness than the smell would lead one to believe. Very light but with a lingering bitterness. Reminds me of an orange that has sat out a little too long.

M: Carbonation is a bit sharp for me. Probably the least appealing factor.

D: I could have one once in a while but I wouldnt ask for one. Would be nice on a hot day. Not a good beer to finish off the night with.

3.26/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours a clear gold copper with a metallic flare. A half finger soapy white head sits on top. This would surely lace well if I wasn't swirling it all the time. Biscuit & caramel hit the nose first, followed by mostly floral hops with some pine, citrus, and sappiness. Malt is more prominent than the hops to me. Biscuit comes to the palate first and stays the whole time. The hops are mainly for bittering, coming in the finish. The malt is pleasurable, but a little too pungent and sits on the back of the tongue. The feel is balanced as is the finish.

I'm a little torn. I want more hop aroma, to be honest. I feel like this is an English IPA that's hopped with West Coast varietals. My suggestion would be to dry hop with citra or some other aromatic hop to bring it a little more to the hoppy side, which is exactly how I like it. Fairly solid, but there are better IPAs out there. I'll look for their seasonals for the style I'm craving.

3.28/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours clear light amber with coppery tones. White head that holds up decently against the glass, moderate lacing.

Aroma of bitter pine, citrus, some malt sweetness.

Flavor of bitter pine follows with the aroma, with a bit more citrus. Pretty straight forward malt profile. A little more bitter than i might normally like, though probably standard for an IPA. Not a terribly complex beer, but fairly tasty.

Overall bitterness would prevent me from having more than two pints before my pallate needs a rest.

3.3/5  rDev -15.8%

Reddish copper hue. Darker than I would have expected. Murky, appears unfiltered...I like that. Fairly large bubbles drift from the bottom of the glass, generally a sign that the pillowy head won't last. Head has dropped significantly but a semi tight ring of head is clinging to the side of the glass. Brussels lace is holding on, earns the beer an additional point.

Lots of hoppy nose on this beer. A blind tasting would be a no brainer with this one. More pine like than citrus (which is cool because it differs greatly from the Smuttynose in this area). And thats why we are doing this smile.gif

First impression after tasting is the actual abundant malty flavor. I find that most IPA's are unbalanced so I welcome some maltiness. But I also welcome hops which I am not finding. Bitterness yes, hops no. Bitterness is a bit too much towards the end with out the flavoring hops to back it up. Sweetness comes as it warms but its a little too late.

Not a silky beer, but a quality mouth feel is hard to come by. Not astringent by any means. Pretty standard in that department.

Overall I like this beer. Nice malty flavor, decent head. This beer lacked the WOW factor...a complexity which seperates it from the pack... which would have gotten it a higher rating. But over all I am pleased with this beer. This beer would probably open up much better on tap than in the bottle.

3.32/5  rDev -15.3%

A: Light copper color with good head at first; dissapates quickly thereafter. Lacing is extremely good on this beer...remains there for almost the whole consumption of the beer. Kind of funny, but if you stare long enough...it almost looks like jello. LOL.

S: Some hops...but mostly sweet malts. I'm very impressed by the smell...makes me want more.

T: A bit disappointed in the taste (especially when the smell was impressive)...bitter upfront...and bitter at the finish. Needs to tone down just a bit. Other then that, okay.

M: Medium-body with the same amount of carbonation.

D: Not very easy to drink for an IPA. It has a great smell, but too much bitterness.

Overall: I have a hard time deciding whether this beer is good or just average. I guess you'll have to decide.

3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

Appearance- Pours a clean orange amber with a one finger head

Smell-Mild citrus hop and a bit of toasted biscuit

Taste-A light candy sweetness of toasted malts balanced with with citrus on the front end. relatively dry ending and a lingering moderate hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel-Moderately think bodied with middling carbonation

Overall-Quite drinkable. Surprisingly smooth for a 7% IPA. Nothing harsh, but also nothing unique or exciting. Solid and sessionable.

3.35/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: amber dark orange

S: malt. Bread. Some subtle citrus

T: malty sweet ipa. Piney bitter finish

F: med carbonation Rough on the palate

O: while drakes makes many great IPAs. Not sure this one is to par.

3.35/5  rDev -14.5%

Dark copper red body, topped by thick light beige foam which rose above the rim of the glass.

Big biscuit aroma, a surprise. Far more English than West Coast.

A fleeting semi-sweet beginning, quickly gives way to a big biscuit taste. Earthy hops bite at the swallow, which lingers on a bit.

Medium mouthfeel is quite satisfactory.

Alright drinkability, though the completion of one bottle does not necessarily bring about an intense desire for another.

Not what I expected, even for an Englsih leaning West Coast IPA, but not bad.

3.41/5  rDev -13%

Bottle poured into FFF Teku glass

A - Hazy, dark orange with hints of brown. There is a white, one finger white head that leaves some nice lacing

S - Light grapefruit, pine and tangerine come forth from. Overall, a simple and light nose

T - Strong grapefruit and light pine dominate Initally. There is a light sweet orange that comes in the middle of the beer. The finish is strong pine that lingers in the finish. Well balanced and only a light hint of the 7% ABV

MF - Medium carbonation with a creamy medium body. There is a slight resin residue that remains in the finish that helps the pine linger on

O - Solid west coast IPA that I could imagine drinking on a frequent basis if I had access to it. However, it is not outstanding enough for me to want to get some in the Midwest as its much easier to get a hold of Furious or Two-Hearted.

3.45/5  rDev -12%

San Leandro, California: never been there. Hell, I’ve never even been 100 miles from there. But, thanks to dmsohyea, I have a bottle of this Cali local. I’ve never heard of it, but that doesn’t mean I’m at all biased as to how I think it will taste. I have no preconceived notions about this one, except that my latest trading partner deemed it good enough to send to me. This is totally objective rating, which, as some would argue, is the fairest way to review. Whatever the case, I’m looking forward to getting to know Drake’s IPA.

A: I love the color of the body: reddish-orange that shines brilliantly, even with a bit of haziness. The head is a wonderful off-white, erupting from the bottle aggressively as I pour. The foamy three-fingers dissipate quite fast, leaving the tiniest afterthoughts of clean lacing. The bubbles that dance up from the bottom are few and far-between, but they are there, nonetheless. A nice, fresh looking pale ale.

S: I haven’t smelt hops this crisp and clean since I last had a FFF Pride & Joy. These are intensely piney, with a great earthy undertone. A sweet, herbal touch hits at the back, coupled stylishly with roasted barley. An agreeable IPA nose through and through – no surprises here.

T: Breadiest IPA I’ve ever had. Wow. The yeast is so substantial on the front end that it makes you wonder how the nose never signaled it. It’s not syrupy or extra-sweet, but it is heavy. That’s not to say that I think it’s bad; it’s just different. The thick yeasts don’t make me cringe, but they don’t blow me away, either. Soon, though, the hops alleviate some of the pressure, lifting the palate with a short blast of light, piney bitters. Smoked caramel malts make a short, but not negligible appearance. Thus, the whole thing ends up with a slightly dry, hoppy aftertaste.

M: This is where I have some trouble. It’s too watery! If you’re going to make the palate that thick on an IPA, you can’t give it a thin mouthfeel. The lack of carbonation doesn't help, either. To me, it ends up giving the whole brew a diluted ambiance; it’s almost as if I’m drinking a Drake’s Light. Where can I pick up this beer’s big brother?

O: This is certainly a different breed of IPA. The thick, bread-heavy palate is a nice departure from the traditional hopped-up and syrupy-sweet nature of the ever-popular IPA, but the thinness of the body turned me off big time. This is something that I wouldn’t try again, even if I were in San Leandro. It was a good drink, but, with so many great beers out there, not worth a second attempt for me.

3.47/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled unk.
Pours butter colored, a bit murky, solidly etched fine white surface. Smells dank, with citrus, pine, resin, coconut, pineapple, biscuity malt, Flavor is bitter, but still quite malty with a cracker like malt. Hops are plenty juicy with some tropical character, some more pine, some orange peel and a little honey. Medium bodied with moderately assertive carb and a wet finish. Nice beer, would drink again for sure.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

This is a good, solid IPA, not great, lacking in complexity and a bit too dry for my taste.

Dark gold, medium off-white head soon shrinks to foamy ring.

Aroma is musty raisins, toast, wet bread and hay, grass, cat pee, hint of grapefruit.

Taste is dryish with light but dominant hop character, very lightly on the bitter side, mostly due to lack of sweetness not because the bitterness is really strong. Hints of musty raisin, bread, grapefruit.

3.52/5  rDev -10.2%

Thanks to bring for tossing this in as an extra.

A - Hazy golde-amber in color, with a good inch of white head. Retention is fair for the style with some lacing left behind as it subsides

S - Grapefruit and caramel malt with notes of pine.

T - Very piney hop bite with plenty of malty goodness up front. The grapefruit kind of lingers around in the finish. Good hop bite with almost enough malt to balance it out.

M - Very creamy with low to medium carbonation. Medium in body.

D - I found this IPA to be no less drinkable than any other.

Overall this is a solid offering from Drake's and has me interested in some of their other offerings.

3.52/5  rDev -10.2%

Appearance: An aggressive pour into a beer-clean pilsner garnered less than ½ finger of foam which didn't bother to stick around for more than 30 seconds. Body is hazy medium brown

Aroma: Pleasantly floral hoppy nose leaning toward the piney side of the hop scale

Taste: Decently hopped initial taste grabs the attention of the palate quickly. Sweet malt controls the midtaste before the hops lead the way into the finish. This Jeckyll / Hyde brew just can't seem to decide whether it's a bold Left Coast IPA...or a true to style Brit with an interesting malt makeup

Mouthfeel: No thinness noted as the mouthfeel is standard compared to other IPA's

Drinkability: A good IPA with no poor qualities. I wouldn't go in search of this beer, but I wouldn't turn one down either

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%

A solid ipa. More malty than your typical west coast ipa, no floral or fruit notes just solid malt and hop. I much prefer drakes Pale, it's more unique

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received from Fartindog in trade during Bif Race 07. Great looking beer right of the bat, reddish amber with a foamy white head that leaves a similar foam lacing. Not much of a nose, just some citrus. Taste is what I would expect in an English IPA, very well balanced but one thing that I couldn't get out of my mouth was the cocoa finish.

Drake's IPA from Drake's Brewing Co.