Drake's IPA - Drake's Brewing Co.

Drake's IPADrake's IPA

Drake's Brewing Co. visit their website

"Drake's flagship beer! A "West Coast" interpretation of an India Pale Ale. Copper-colored from additions of light Crystal malt, and body-building Caramalt, carry the malt weight of this hop bomb. The hoppy aromas of pine and grapefruit are delivered from the abundant Columbus and Cascade hops."

(Beer added by: drewbage on 06-09-2003)
4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

4.28/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into a pint glass. Color was honey caramel. Tons of head, which I don’t think I can say is a bad pour. This is the second Drake I’ve had in two days where I opened a regular bottle and the foam just started coming out. Anyway, probably four fingers of head. Thick frothy lacing on the top. Some film on the sides, still along the lines of the lacing - frothy and cloudy.

Smelled more like a pale ale than an IPA. Once again it reminded me of Drake’s 1500 pale ale. Got some citrus notes and some sweetness.

On the taste, once again I’m back to the Drake’s 1500 pale ale. It tastes very similar, just a bit stronger. This is so smooth. Slightly bitter finish, but still good. Some caramel notes and some sweet notes.

Medium body. Creamy texture. Lively (above average) carbonation. Long finish.

Just a good beer. Smooth and consistent.

3.7/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured into a pint at Amsterdam SF

A: It pours a clear caramel orange color with some spotty lacing. There was not much head to it.

S: I get nice fruit citrus hops followed by a nice malty quality. There's also some other fruit notes hiding in there, like dried persimmons, bananas, maybe apple. sweet and a little candied.

T: It tastes like it smells. I get the dried persimmons and banana first though, with the citrus hops coming out large in the middle before mellowing out into a slightly sweet malty finish.

M: The mouthfeel is medium with lower carbonation and just slightly chewy. Heavier than I expected. Maybe the keg is getting low?

D: It's nicely drinkable and enjoyable enough. The dried fruit favors are interesting enough to capture my attention. It is a bit heavy though, so I would probably only drink one or two of these in a sitting. Overall its nice.

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

A: Three plus fingers of fluffy white head erupt nicely from this beer. Once it dwindles slightly I see a much more rocky face. Huge lacing right around the rim of my glass as well. Beautiful caramel color with crystal clear clarity. Nice carbonation action from a thin stream in the middle. Wow, congratulations Drake's, you brewed a perfect looking ipa.

S: Nice big citrus hop aromas with some nice light pine aromas mixed in as well. The caramel malts are apparent. Some nice breadiness. I would like it to be a hair brighter. But good all around and leans toward a more balanced ipa.

T: Huge, huge hop flavors hit me first. The flavor is far brighter than the aroma would insinuate. Big citrus with some sharp pine. This leads to the lightly caramel and mostly bready malts. They do hold up but not quite all the way. I'm surprised that this was considered an English IPA. However I'm a fan of hop forward so I enjoy it. The finish is crisp and bitter. It does taste a little angular I guess? Like it could be rounded out a little more smooth. But all in all delicious.

M: Nice medium body with plenty of the carbonation you need to blast away some of that bitterness and get your ready for your next drink. Slick and smooth as an ipa should be.

O: Oh so tasty and refreshing this is an all out summer beer. I'd love to have this after a long day of work in the summer to refresh me, slap me in the face to wake me up and to relax me with it's 7.00% abv. Great job Drake's

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

No bottling dates.

Clear, bronze body, one-finger, orange tinted head. Thick and sticky.

Strong grapefruit and pine aromas, with some brown sugar in there as well. Biscuit malts.

Juicy tangerine and grapefruit tartness. Malts pop up mid-palate, with caramel and brown sugar. The finish has a decent bitterness with pine needle flavors.

A nice drinking IPA and pretty tasty. I do actually prefer their pale ale over this, but it's still a solid brew.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

A --- Nice hazy amber color with about a 1/3" of foam head

S --- Pine, citrus, hoppy

T --- Smooth, nice balance of hops & malts, not over the top bitter

M --- Medium body with right amount of carbination. Smooth.

O --- This is a very good beer. I will try to find it on tap and try it again.

3.58/5  rDev -7.5%

12oz bottle split in line at FFF XV Party.

A - Pours a orange/amber color, white head, thin collar, wisps.

S - Light hoppy notes, malts, a bit bready. More English IPA then anything West Coast, but that's as-advertised.

T - Malts, light hops, light sweetness, bready. A nice level of sweetness and hops from an English IPA...can't complain.

M - Light, good carbonation, clean finish.

O - Decent but nothing mind-blowing. I've had other APA and IPA's from Drake's that I enjoyed much more. I would have again, but not really seek out.

Drake's IPA from Drake's Brewing Co.