Drake's IPA - Drake's Brewing Co.

Drake's IPADrake's IPA

Drake's Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: drewbage on 06-09-2003

"Drake's flagship beer! A "West Coast" interpretation of an India Pale Ale. Copper-colored from additions of light Crystal malt, and body-building Caramalt, carry the malt weight of this hop bomb. The hoppy aromas of pine and grapefruit are delivered from the abundant Columbus and Cascade hops."
Ratings: 482 | Reviews: 209
3.61/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Chilled 12oz bottle into a glass.

A: Poured a coppery orange color with slight haziness and active carbonation when held to the light. Poured with a HUGE foam head that managed to overflow the bomber-sized glass I poured into. Head was long-lived, and remained in substantial form through the end of the drink, with intricate ivy lacing down the glass.

S: Grapefruit and floral hops in equal measure. Could not really detect a malt presence in the nose, but toward the end of the beer, I finally smelled caramel.

T: Hops, front and center, with the acidic grapefruit taste providing a nice taste to the bitter floral hop selection. Caramel malt provides balance against those, resulting in a lively taste.

M: Medium bodied, with medium to high carbonation. Still manages a dry finish, and the ABV is well masked. A good show.

D: I prefer a stronger grapefruit component to my beers, but this was a solid little IPA, and I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up or get it on tap if I saw it.

3.61/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a bright orange colour with huge white head and lots of lacing down the glass. Nice head retention. Smells of pine and citrus hops, but not a hop bomb. Not a ton of caramel malt backbone either, so it comes across as a bit weak overall. Still a pleasant IPA that I'm glad I tried.

3.6/5  rDev -7%

Deep amber pour with a finger of head. Smell is earthy hops and lemon peel, hints of grape and red berries. Sweet maltiness plays a large role, overall helping give a candy-like hop aroma.

The taste is bitter up front with earthy hops on mid palate, and a returning bitterness on the finish. Very well balanced between the hops and malt, typical of the English style. I actually have never really cared too much for this style, but this is definitely the best one I've had so far. I wish there was a bit more citric hop flavor or something else that could add a layer of complexity though.

Mouthfeel is medium with a sharp stinging carbonation. Wish this was a bit softer. Overall I feel this is a well crafted beer, but not a standout. For the style, it was definitely quite good though.

3.6/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a copper with two finger head.

The smell was sweet of citrus and slight piney hops.

The taste was pretty on par with the smell but with a little more citrus; grapefruit, orange, and a little lemon zest. A little malt on the back but not much and some caramel popping its head in as well.

A pretty standard west coast IPA. Being in San Diego I probably would choose something else instead though.

3.59/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle.

A: Pours a clear golden-amber beneath a huge, greasy, thick, off-white mousse of a head that took forever to fade into a thick rocky film. Chunky patches of sticky lace was left down the glass.
S: A sweet and juicy grapefruit bomb with dominating citrus hops and a touch of pine. I get a note or two of caramel malt and a touch of toast.
T: Follows the nose with dominating flavors of grapefruit and orange followed by sweet caramel malt and toasted grains. The finish has a touch of pine and the aftertaste is full of lightly bitter and lingering citrus pith.
M: Medium-full body, soft and airy carbonation, greasy and oily mouthfeel.
O: A solid ipa and an all around good no-frills drinking beer.

3.58/5  rDev -7.5%

Got this as an extra from a trade with mjl21...thanks Mike. Trying new beers is like a gift from God.

A- Poured into a pint glass. Nice quater inch head that when it got a little air seemed to jump up to half an inch before coming back down rather quickly. Nice clear golden amber color. Lacing seems to stick pretty good on the sides of this glass.

S- Nice floral piney hop smell. Nothing too overpowering just a nice mellow smell. The malts seems to overpower the hops a little bit more. There isn't anything wrong with that though. I think this beer is going to speak for itself when I taste it.

T- This is a nice easy going IPA in my book. I think it leans more over to a PA than a IPA but good never the less. The malts come through just as much as the hops which is a nice bitter taste at the end. I keep on tripping up on that faint metallic taste though everytime I take another drink. It's not terrible but kind of different.

M- Very medium body in my opinion. Just enough bubbles to tickle my tastebuds as it makes it way down my throat. Pleasant with little over the top bitterness.

D- If I could get rid of the little metallic taste then this would be a perfect sessionable IPA. I was surprised at it not being over the top with a lot of west coast beers that I have had in the past couple of weeks. It's a nice change from what had seemed to be becoming the norm.

3.58/5  rDev -7.5%

Look: Hazy orange with a decent off white head. The lacing has nice retention.
Smell: Very floral up front with a bit of pine and caramel.
Taste: The smooth malts are right up front with a resiny, floral bitterness to finish it off. Well balanced.
Feel: Feels a little heavy for the style, more like a double IPA.
Drink: I could go for one again. It isn't as easy to session as Green Flash West Coast or Lagunitas IPA (which are similar to Drake's) but it is worth checking out.

3.58/5  rDev -7.5%

12oz bottle split in line at FFF XV Party.

A - Pours a orange/amber color, white head, thin collar, wisps.

S - Light hoppy notes, malts, a bit bready. More English IPA then anything West Coast, but that's as-advertised.

T - Malts, light hops, light sweetness, bready. A nice level of sweetness and hops from an English IPA...can't complain.

M - Light, good carbonation, clean finish.

O - Decent but nothing mind-blowing. I've had other APA and IPA's from Drake's that I enjoyed much more. I would have again, but not really seek out.

3.58/5  rDev -7.5%

a-medium copper color, finger of foamy white head and fairly thick lacing

s-sweet malty caramel aroma, slight yeast smell with some citrus and pine.

t-piney hops dominate the taste buds, nice full flavor, more bitter than expected after the sweetness from the nose.

m-medium body, a little syrupy but still fairly balanced and a dry finish

d-very drinkable beer with solid flavor, but the sweetness would keep me from making it a regular go-to beer.

overall-solid IPA, but a little too much sweet for my taste. That being said, a sixer for $9.99 that tastes like this is a good option if other beers in the same range arent available such as Green Flash West Coast IPA.

3.55/5  rDev -8.3%

Single 12-oz. bottle purchased at Hollingshead Deli in Orange, CA. in early April 2006 for $1.49.

Pours a moderately deep amber-red, deeper than most IPAs. Looks pretty rich with a good sized off-white- yellowish tan head. Pretty, but too dark for an IPA. Means lots of dark malts, eh?

Aroma is a very nice floral, slightly oily hop profile. Heads up! Not much else here. Decent for an IPA.

Flavor- this is definetely a hoppy more bitter IPA, lots of floral and evergreen notes, and a nice malt undertow. I liek this, but am not wowed by it. I think it's a balance thing- this is trying to be more hoppy and loses balance in the process. It's a good beer, but I like lighter malts myself.

Rich mouthfeel- this one is at the bigger end of the IPA spectrum, near that DIPA realm.

3.53/5  rDev -8.8%

A solid ipa. More malty than your typical west coast ipa, no floral or fruit notes just solid malt and hop. I much prefer drakes Pale, it's more unique

3.53/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received from Fartindog in trade during Bif Race 07. Great looking beer right of the bat, reddish amber with a foamy white head that leaves a similar foam lacing. Not much of a nose, just some citrus. Taste is what I would expect in an English IPA, very well balanced but one thing that I couldn't get out of my mouth was the cocoa finish.

3.52/5  rDev -9%

Thanks to bring for tossing this in as an extra.

A - Hazy golde-amber in color, with a good inch of white head. Retention is fair for the style with some lacing left behind as it subsides

S - Grapefruit and caramel malt with notes of pine.

T - Very piney hop bite with plenty of malty goodness up front. The grapefruit kind of lingers around in the finish. Good hop bite with almost enough malt to balance it out.

M - Very creamy with low to medium carbonation. Medium in body.

D - I found this IPA to be no less drinkable than any other.

Overall this is a solid offering from Drake's and has me interested in some of their other offerings.

3.52/5  rDev -9%

Appearance: An aggressive pour into a beer-clean pilsner garnered less than ½ finger of foam which didn't bother to stick around for more than 30 seconds. Body is hazy medium brown

Aroma: Pleasantly floral hoppy nose leaning toward the piney side of the hop scale

Taste: Decently hopped initial taste grabs the attention of the palate quickly. Sweet malt controls the midtaste before the hops lead the way into the finish. This Jeckyll / Hyde brew just can't seem to decide whether it's a bold Left Coast IPA...or a true to style Brit with an interesting malt makeup

Mouthfeel: No thinness noted as the mouthfeel is standard compared to other IPA's

Drinkability: A good IPA with no poor qualities. I wouldn't go in search of this beer, but I wouldn't turn one down either

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

This is a good, solid IPA, not great, lacking in complexity and a bit too dry for my taste.

Dark gold, medium off-white head soon shrinks to foamy ring.

Aroma is musty raisins, toast, wet bread and hay, grass, cat pee, hint of grapefruit.

Taste is dryish with light but dominant hop character, very lightly on the bitter side, mostly due to lack of sweetness not because the bitterness is really strong. Hints of musty raisin, bread, grapefruit.

3.47/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled unk.
Pours butter colored, a bit murky, solidly etched fine white surface. Smells dank, with citrus, pine, resin, coconut, pineapple, biscuity malt, Flavor is bitter, but still quite malty with a cracker like malt. Hops are plenty juicy with some tropical character, some more pine, some orange peel and a little honey. Medium bodied with moderately assertive carb and a wet finish. Nice beer, would drink again for sure.

3.45/5  rDev -10.9%

San Leandro, California: never been there. Hell, I’ve never even been 100 miles from there. But, thanks to dmsohyea, I have a bottle of this Cali local. I’ve never heard of it, but that doesn’t mean I’m at all biased as to how I think it will taste. I have no preconceived notions about this one, except that my latest trading partner deemed it good enough to send to me. This is totally objective rating, which, as some would argue, is the fairest way to review. Whatever the case, I’m looking forward to getting to know Drake’s IPA.

A: I love the color of the body: reddish-orange that shines brilliantly, even with a bit of haziness. The head is a wonderful off-white, erupting from the bottle aggressively as I pour. The foamy three-fingers dissipate quite fast, leaving the tiniest afterthoughts of clean lacing. The bubbles that dance up from the bottom are few and far-between, but they are there, nonetheless. A nice, fresh looking pale ale.

S: I haven’t smelt hops this crisp and clean since I last had a FFF Pride & Joy. These are intensely piney, with a great earthy undertone. A sweet, herbal touch hits at the back, coupled stylishly with roasted barley. An agreeable IPA nose through and through – no surprises here.

T: Breadiest IPA I’ve ever had. Wow. The yeast is so substantial on the front end that it makes you wonder how the nose never signaled it. It’s not syrupy or extra-sweet, but it is heavy. That’s not to say that I think it’s bad; it’s just different. The thick yeasts don’t make me cringe, but they don’t blow me away, either. Soon, though, the hops alleviate some of the pressure, lifting the palate with a short blast of light, piney bitters. Smoked caramel malts make a short, but not negligible appearance. Thus, the whole thing ends up with a slightly dry, hoppy aftertaste.

M: This is where I have some trouble. It’s too watery! If you’re going to make the palate that thick on an IPA, you can’t give it a thin mouthfeel. The lack of carbonation doesn't help, either. To me, it ends up giving the whole brew a diluted ambiance; it’s almost as if I’m drinking a Drake’s Light. Where can I pick up this beer’s big brother?

O: This is certainly a different breed of IPA. The thick, bread-heavy palate is a nice departure from the traditional hopped-up and syrupy-sweet nature of the ever-popular IPA, but the thinness of the body turned me off big time. This is something that I wouldn’t try again, even if I were in San Leandro. It was a good drink, but, with so many great beers out there, not worth a second attempt for me.

3.41/5  rDev -11.9%

Bottle poured into FFF Teku glass

A - Hazy, dark orange with hints of brown. There is a white, one finger white head that leaves some nice lacing

S - Light grapefruit, pine and tangerine come forth from. Overall, a simple and light nose

T - Strong grapefruit and light pine dominate Initally. There is a light sweet orange that comes in the middle of the beer. The finish is strong pine that lingers in the finish. Well balanced and only a light hint of the 7% ABV

MF - Medium carbonation with a creamy medium body. There is a slight resin residue that remains in the finish that helps the pine linger on

O - Solid west coast IPA that I could imagine drinking on a frequent basis if I had access to it. However, it is not outstanding enough for me to want to get some in the Midwest as its much easier to get a hold of Furious or Two-Hearted.

3.35/5  rDev -13.4%

Dark copper red body, topped by thick light beige foam which rose above the rim of the glass.

Big biscuit aroma, a surprise. Far more English than West Coast.

A fleeting semi-sweet beginning, quickly gives way to a big biscuit taste. Earthy hops bite at the swallow, which lingers on a bit.

Medium mouthfeel is quite satisfactory.

Alright drinkability, though the completion of one bottle does not necessarily bring about an intense desire for another.

Not what I expected, even for an Englsih leaning West Coast IPA, but not bad.

3.33/5  rDev -14%

Appearance- Pours a clean orange amber with a one finger head

Smell-Mild citrus hop and a bit of toasted biscuit

Taste-A light candy sweetness of toasted malts balanced with with citrus on the front end. relatively dry ending and a lingering moderate hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel-Moderately think bodied with middling carbonation

Overall-Quite drinkable. Surprisingly smooth for a 7% IPA. Nothing harsh, but also nothing unique or exciting. Solid and sessionable.

3.32/5  rDev -14.2%

A: Light copper color with good head at first; dissapates quickly thereafter. Lacing is extremely good on this beer...remains there for almost the whole consumption of the beer. Kind of funny, but if you stare long enough...it almost looks like jello. LOL.

S: Some hops...but mostly sweet malts. I'm very impressed by the smell...makes me want more.

T: A bit disappointed in the taste (especially when the smell was impressive)...bitter upfront...and bitter at the finish. Needs to tone down just a bit. Other then that, okay.

M: Medium-body with the same amount of carbonation.

D: Not very easy to drink for an IPA. It has a great smell, but too much bitterness.

Overall: I have a hard time deciding whether this beer is good or just average. I guess you'll have to decide.

3.3/5  rDev -14.7%

Appearance:
Reddish copper hue. Darker than I would have expected. Murky, appears unfiltered...I like that. Fairly large bubbles drift from the bottom of the glass, generally a sign that the pillowy head won't last. Head has dropped significantly but a semi tight ring of head is clinging to the side of the glass. Brussels lace is holding on, earns the beer an additional point.

Smell:
Lots of hoppy nose on this beer. A blind tasting would be a no brainer with this one. More pine like than citrus (which is cool because it differs greatly from the Smuttynose in this area). And thats why we are doing this smile.gif

Taste:
First impression after tasting is the actual abundant malty flavor. I find that most IPA's are unbalanced so I welcome some maltiness. But I also welcome hops which I am not finding. Bitterness yes, hops no. Bitterness is a bit too much towards the end with out the flavoring hops to back it up. Sweetness comes as it warms but its a little too late.

Mouthfeel:
Not a silky beer, but a quality mouth feel is hard to come by. Not astringent by any means. Pretty standard in that department.

Drinkability:
Overall I like this beer. Nice malty flavor, decent head. This beer lacked the WOW factor...a complexity which seperates it from the pack... which would have gotten it a higher rating. But over all I am pleased with this beer. This beer would probably open up much better on tap than in the bottle.

3.28/5  rDev -15.2%

Pours clear light amber with coppery tones. White head that holds up decently against the glass, moderate lacing.

Aroma of bitter pine, citrus, some malt sweetness.

Flavor of bitter pine follows with the aroma, with a bit more citrus. Pretty straight forward malt profile. A little more bitter than i might normally like, though probably standard for an IPA. Not a terribly complex beer, but fairly tasty.

Overall bitterness would prevent me from having more than two pints before my pallate needs a rest.

3.26/5  rDev -15.8%

A: Nice light coloration. Slightly speckeled and lightly opaque. Decent head and nice lacing!

S: Almost get more malts than hops on this one. Definitely a bit of hops towards the back though.

T: More bitterness than the smell would lead one to believe. Very light but with a lingering bitterness. Reminds me of an orange that has sat out a little too long.

M: Carbonation is a bit sharp for me. Probably the least appealing factor.

D: I could have one once in a while but I wouldnt ask for one. Would be nice on a hot day. Not a good beer to finish off the night with.

3.26/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a clear gold copper with a metallic flare. A half finger soapy white head sits on top. This would surely lace well if I wasn't swirling it all the time. Biscuit & caramel hit the nose first, followed by mostly floral hops with some pine, citrus, and sappiness. Malt is more prominent than the hops to me. Biscuit comes to the palate first and stays the whole time. The hops are mainly for bittering, coming in the finish. The malt is pleasurable, but a little too pungent and sits on the back of the tongue. The feel is balanced as is the finish.

I'm a little torn. I want more hop aroma, to be honest. I feel like this is an English IPA that's hopped with West Coast varietals. My suggestion would be to dry hop with citra or some other aromatic hop to bring it a little more to the hoppy side, which is exactly how I like it. Fairly solid, but there are better IPAs out there. I'll look for their seasonals for the style I'm craving.

Drake's IPA from Drake's Brewing Co.