Drake's Denogginizer - Drake's Brewing Co.

Drake's DenogginizerDrake's Denogginizer

Drake's Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: oggg on 02-28-2005

4.72/5  rDev +20.7%

Poured into a tlip a nice brown hue with some copper highlights at the bottom and the edges. Khaki head leaves some very clingy lacing the whole way down.

Hops run the aroma with citrus being the biggest player. Grapefruit and tropical fruit are the most dominate.

Taste is a nice hoppy pineapple, mango and pine mix. Enough of a malt sweetness that it doesn't allow the hops to be too aggressive. The balance is wonderful and this is the best DIPA I've had in awhile.

Drinkability is pretty good for such a big beer. Alcohol isn't really present in the taste, but it does show up when I first stood up from my bar stool. Mouthfeel was resinous and almost sticky. Definately coated the whole palate. Glad I got to try this and can't wait to get my hands on some more. (770 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +18.4%

This pours a rich, luscious caramel color with a nice foam top. It has a bracing hoppiness and some maltiness to balance. Lots of grapefruit and pine aromas that belie a citrusy, piney, full-flavored body. The hops are spicy, full-bodied, bracing yet mellow—well-balanced—with lots of citrus, grapefruit, and intense orange peel. I also pick up some orange chutney as well as caramel malt sweetness and a hint of vanilla. It has a dry, tacky finish and some thick chewy heft.

Careful with this one—I’ve had many an instance where the Denogginizer lived up to its name! (577 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aptly named, this stuff will take your head off. Very strong beer with lots of hop and malt - a kind of over-the-top use of ingredients for effect - a very good effect. Had this the first time on tap, in bottle since, both are excellent. Alcohol is definitely in the flavor profile, but not a deal killer. I am not a partier, so this is a one-bottle brew (22 oz) for me. (370 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +17.4%

Had this on 05/29/10 at Ladyface Alehouse (Agoura, CA). Didn't know what it was, just saw Drake's and knew it had to be good. I had no clue it was a DIPA.

A - Dark copper amber color looked almost like amber ale. No head at all when presented. The first appearance is deceiving; especially with me not knowing it was a DIPA.

S - This smelled like a hop bomb before I even got a taste of it. Very citrus with some sweetness to it. But the smell could have made me think it was a Double Red.

T - One sip and I knew it was a DIPA. Strong citrus flavors but added is a balanced malty flavor that balances this beer out and makes it extremely enjoyable to drink. I didn't want to put it down; I wanted to cradle it all day.

M - Perfection, not a single taste bud on my tongue wasn't happy. It could be because its destroyed from all the IPA/DIPA's I've had, but who's counting.

D - All day long, this is a beer that can be enjoyed in any season. Was great on the warm day I had it on. (989 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to augustgarage for the chance to try this exceptional San Francisco DIPA. Poured into my Dfh snifter- pours a golden red color, about 3 fingers of frothy head that recedes slowly, leaving nice lacing on the glass. Smell- I get nice citrus flavor- orange rind and lemon, mixed with some pronounced toffee and caramel. I'm really excited to get started here. Taste- instant bitter hops flavor is met with a mingled caramel and sweet toffee flavor. What a well balanced beer! Mouthfeel- this has a nice feel to it, not silky, but nice carbonation and drinks very well. Drinkability- for 9.75 abv, this is well hidden and easily drinkable. This is a gem of a beer, and I was glad to have a chance to taste it. (713 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a chalice style schooner.

Beautiful deep orange/amber color. Nice amount of cream colored head, that dissipates leaving a nice lacing.

Aroma includes caramel, toasted malt and slight hop scent. Alcohol aroma is very perceptible.

Medium body. Perfect carbonation level.

Great hop bitterness, but there's a little "grassy" aftertaste. Nice caramel flavor. Alcohol taste is there, but not as pronounced as its aroma.

Overall, this is a great example of the style. I grew up in San Leandro and I'm happy to report that this beer did not disappoint my San Diego taste buds :-) (614 characters)

March 2005- On tap at the Toronado in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- Poured in a tulip style glass from the tap.

Appearance- Golden-orange colored with a small tight creamy white head and lots of lacing.

Smell- One of the better scented DIPA's out there. Lots of citrus and grapefruit hops.

Taste- Hits you pretty hard in the hops department. First it's the pine and then it's a sweet grapefruit flavors. Almost like a Pliny the Younger, but not as balanced. Lacking a tad in the malt department. There is malt there, but the hops really overpower it.

Mouthfeel- Low carbonation with the sweetness make this a heavy mouthfeel, almost like a light sryup.

Drinkability- The ABV seems higher than listed. I would have said over 10% for sure. This one would be perfect for 2 tulips in a session. (810 characters)

On tap @ Hollingshead.

This imperial IPA pours a burnt hazy orange with an off-white head that left a beautiful lace, like a doiley that is the pint glasses lingerie slipping down the glass.. The bouquet was straight up hop pine and then some... not much more to say on that. The taste, WOW. Very well balanced hops, or hops hops hops i should say. You need the malt backbone to carry it and this brew does it.. A smooth bitterness that is blended quite perfectly.

Good carbonation and medium somewhat resiny mouthfeel that will leave you wanting more. (558 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

I'm a fan of a lot of Drake's bigger beers, and this is one I'd wanted to try for a while but always seemed to miss it. Finally found it on tap at Meridian in Berkeley, and I'm glad I did. A delicious beer. A beautiful pour, dark orangey amber with a thick, lustrous head that sticks around for the duration of the beer as a 1/4 inch cap. Leaves some thick lacing as well. Big, hoppy nose with herbal, citrus, and especially pine notes with some sweet, bready malt. Beautifully balanced aromas. The taste is bold. Lots of herbal notes, with some noticeable dill, and piney hops with some sweet malt and a long bitter finish. The dill note is interesting- I've tasted hints of this in Racer 5, and lots of it in Exponential Hoppiness, and its coming from the hops, but I don't know what strain is creating it. In any case, its interesting. A long bitter finish rounds out the flavors. The mouthfeel is firm, but relatively smooth. This is an excellent beer. I just wish I saw it on more places. (993 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

So glad they brought this to the Truckee beer fest, usually have to go into the East Bay (Hayward/San Leandro) for this one.

Amazing orange and auburn glow, with clarity, minimal head, white. Great dry hop aroma, citrus and pine, simcoe and amarillo is my guess.

Great taste, so easy to drink, hides the alcohol, gets you pumped up like it has caffeine in it, such a thrill to find this when you didn't expect it. Usually a perennial spot or two behind Pliny in my tally for dipa festival. Solid. (498 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +14.3%

22oz thanks to augustgarage! This showed up on my doorstep about two hours ago and since it's my day off, it's time for a mid-afternoon 22oz DIPA. Hell yeah! Poured into a wide tulip.

A- Honey orangey brown in color, a thick 1cm head that settles slowly and lays down lacing as thick as cake frosting. Very nice.

S- Big, citrusy hop assault. Getting a lot of pine resin and simcoe- has to be simcoe- hops. Stanks like ganja actually.

T- Bitter, bold, not nearly as sweet as I was expecting, an octane/oily resin bitter hop note. I get candied orange and orange peel, pine sap, and a bit of peppermint.

M- Heavy, good carbonation (perhaps a biiit low, but still good), good lingering flavors and pretty well-constructed. No complaints here. Actually more balanced than I would have thought- intense hops, but they don't get out of line.

D- I like it. One I'd buy on occasion of I could. Really tasty, big alcohol presence but not too boozy... I'm diggin' it. (966 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +13.6%

I had the good luck of visiting Jupiter for the first time and finding this 1st place winner at the 2005 5th annual dIPA festival in Hayward.

This beer is auburn red, slightly murky. Fine bubbled head is minimal in the tall 20oz glass. I initially asked for a sample, and the small amount of liquid in the larger sample glass allowed me to swirl the beer, releasing MASSIVE hop aromas of pine cones, lemon/lime, and grapefruit. I'm talking #1 strongest and most delicious hop aroma ever. Unfortunately, it's hard to swirl 20oz of dIPA in a 20oz glass. So I recommend if you run out to Jupiter and get the dIPA, get it in like 3 glasses so you can swirl it around for a few hours, taking in that seductive aroma.
On the tongue, the hop bitterness is severe but not harsh like in Pliny, and it lingers. Strong but smooth hits of citrus pound the tongue. Malt really takes a back seat, which was a bit surprisingly since most dIPAs I've had try really hard to show some malt complexity.

Overall: hugely aromatic double IPA (1,029 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

A- Pours candy corn orange with a tinted head that leaves a shit ton of sticky honey lacing! The finger and a half head disappears rather quickly, but you can see the foam mark on my DFH glass. This IIPA has legs!

S- Blood orange, tangerine and yellow grapefruit! A bunch of pungent piney hops, freshly mowed wet grass, and a touch of funk! I'd love to know the type of yeast in this one. Really heavy caramel malt backbone.

T- Love the tangerine and pineiness. Has just a little hint of sweet funkiness. Grapefruit pith and pineapple! This has a brilliant caramel backbone that most IIPA's lack. The citrus doesn't peel all the taste off of your tongue. What a nice change. The sweet malts and pithy citrus have an unreal marriage! Such an amazing balance... but what would you expect from such a great brewery!

M- I love the way that the honey sweetness and bitterness fight for your attention! Each letting the other solo! Kinda sticky for a IIPA! Is there such a thing as a creamy IIPA?

O- I need to find a really good CA hook-up! I am digging this brew so much! I can't believe that I never see any one bragging about this brewery on here!!! They really do it right! (1,179 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +13%

On-tap at 38 Degrees, on to the beer:

Bright copper color as it sits in a large snifter. There's some good head retention and fine lacing sticking around the glass. One sniff yields joy for the nose; very aromic, fresh pine and some driblings of passionfruit.

All is good...no, that's an understatement. All is great with the taste. Hoppy without going too bitter little of the 9.75% ABV hitting the shores. Clean pine hits first, after that comes a grab bag of different tropical fruit flavors; passionfruit, orange, pineapple. Some resin provides some bitterness and leftovers in the aftertaste. The body is medium-heavy, a little bit of solvent alcohol leakes on the palate.

Superb. That is all. (702 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +13%

Had this on tap at Toronado. Unfortunately it was already my 4th beer of the day so I'm probably not qualified to comment on how alcoholic the beer tasted or smelled.

In any case it poured a nice orange/red color that was pretty clear and had some sticky white head that laced the glass well.

The smell was intensely strong and of hops and more hops. Part citrus but mostly pine. Some sweet malt, well probably a lot of malt if it was noticeable under all those hops. Wonderful.

The taste was similar. It was basically a stronger more rediculous version of their IPA. Very sweet, moderately bitter, very hoppy in every aspect. Great beer all around.

Don't know if this is going to be bottled but I would love to find some of this. (737 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my Dogfish Head oversized snifter.

Deep clear tangelo body with a lasting pearling beige head. Ornate waves of lacing could have been illustrated by Hokusai. Light sticky legs.

Powerfully hoppy aromatics! Simcoe slaps you in the face with its signature passion fruit notes; the other hops are right behind suggesting pine, citrus, faint pineapple, and a low floral scent. Sweet smelling full German malts draw you in further.

Bitter, fruity, sweet, and spicy flavors abound - fresh, oily hops suggest marijuana, bubblegum, guava, evergreen, passion fruit, and pink peppercorn among other things. A mix of clean and very faintly toasty malt notes offset the bitterness. Estery yet dry finish.

Moderately carbonated, lightly astringent, appropriately slick, nearly full-bodied, warming...yet still refreshing.

A huge version of the style - very full flavored yet still balanced. Top-tier stuff here. (936 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

what a lovely frothy beer. it doesn't pour with a big head but it maintains a yummy sumptuous texture and thin white foamy top all the way down. leaves minimal lacing.

Piney hop aromas come off, but they do not betray the rich caramel goodness accompanied by perfect sweet bitter from "loads of simcoe hops" that is about to denogginize you! this is a rich alcoholic brew that is about to put that warm fuzzy cap on your messed-up brain as you let it dribble down your throat.

again, the caramel and the syrupy richness on the tongue and the perfect balance with bitterness, it is like a perfect plate of Kung Pao Chicken. ENJOY! DAKES BREWING is coming up big nowaddays. you could easily drink 10oz of this beer, then sip on their well balanced IPA and finish off with the last 12oz of Denogginizer and call it a night. (822 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer surprised me. I am one of those guys that likes to pick up a 22oz bottled microbrew beer on the way home from work and love trying out new beers. Drakes Denogginizer really surprised me with it's beautiful amber color, the bit of lacing, the nice head at first pour. The head does not last long which I personally enjoy. This beer has been one of my goto's when the others just are not enticing me. (408 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Copper bodied brew. Sticky lace. Easily managed. Looking tasty to say the least.

It hits all the marks. Very intense hop profile. Bitter, citrus, drying and sharp. Malts are buried deep and provide nothing more than a tolerant backbone. This is the best I've had from Drakes and I hope they make this in larger scale. 6 packs welcomed.

Loved it. Drakes is close to being an elite brewery. They have some outstanding offerings and some run of the mill. Prices are worthy on some and a bit high on others. Fine tuning and this will be a favorite of mine. (555 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +12.5%

Tasted on tap at the Rose and Crown (Palo Alto, CA), The Bistro (Hayward, CA), and the Dublin Sports Pub (Dublin, CA).

A: Thin white head above a medium-amber and just slightly cloudy drawn pint.

S: Citrus, grapefruit rind, Centennial aroma. No nuttiness, a good sign.

T: Assaulting hoppiness which lasts several seconds after the first swallow, then well-balanced residual malt compensates, followed by a somewhat sour and rising alcohol finish, not unpleasant or overpowering the citrus. Hop complexity comparable to Green Flash Imperial or Stone Ruination. All good in a strong IPA.

M: Apparent thinness in head maybe a tap artifact. Very nice cling and legs down the glass, especially as it warms a bit. Coats tongue and throat, not unlike a Bigfoot or similar weight barleywine, yet not nearly so caramelized. Would be excellent on cask draw, I think.

D: Nice choice as a first glass before a good single IPA (such as Drakes). (936 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +12%

A: Perfect looking IPA. Nice copper colored body with a dense off-white head. Tiny bubbles in the carbonation.

S: Nice and floral. Fragrant and deep. Really fresh hop scent.

T: Unexpected roasty notes right off the bat. Up front bittersweet flavors from the different types of hops here. Seems that they blended this one creatively. It's got a different profile than any other IPA I've had so far. Bold and rich.

M: A little flat to me. Makes it not as refreshing and not as easy to drink. Holding it in my mouth, I can feel the carbonation just barely.

O: A great one in my opinion. Forward and unique. (607 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

On draught at the Toranado, served in a tulip. Denogginizer is a dark, dull orange with a small white collar, leaving decent lace.

Smell is pungent hops, almost like what I would assume pure hop oil extract smells like. It's on the sweeter, fruity side, pineapple and watermelon (almost, but not nearly as distinctly melon as the Mad River Jamaican Red, but probably the same hop). The pine resin comes out more as it warms, very nice.

Taste is also quite hoppy, with pretty firm malt backbone balancing it out. Strong but not overwhelming bitterness, the hops really linger on the tongue, whoa! Really a pretty nice DIPA, big hop flavor, but the intense malt provides some 'balance'. Still, nothing I'm going to move from Portland for!

Mouthfeel is pretty creamy, but oily and dry, with a medium-heavy, chewy body.

Drinkability is pretty good, the taste in particular. The body's a bit thick to really slurp 'em back like I tend to do with PtE, but still damn good! (972 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +11.8%

Had to pick this up after reading all the typical hype, i think i'm old eneough to see every package change from these guys and have always wanted these guys to succeed, and i think this beer is getting them in the right direction. For one of the trendiest over done styles out there, this beer is solid eneough, but also unique enough to differentiate itself. Pour was a deep amber with a chunky head, smell matched the taste, big citrus, malty middle and slight boozy finish. What I liked about this beer was the malty finish that didn't hide the 9%, but eased you through it. Good stuff. (590 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +11.8%

A - Dark Amber color with over an inch of off white head which fades pretty quick but leaves a slight film that doesn't go away.

S - Smell of Grapefruit, Pine, Lemon, Dark Sugar, Slight Pepper, and Herbs

T - Tastes of Pineapple, Caramel, Grapefruit, Hops, Tangerine, Mango, Basil. A little on the sweet side.

M - The mouthfeel is almost perfect for my taste.

This is a very good beer and will I buy more when I see it. (531 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a spiegelau IPA glass. Bottled date April 21, 2014.

Gorgeous looking beer, looks a lot like Stone Enjoy By series. Deep bronze orange and bright red. Supper bursting crystal clarity, and plentiful but not over abundant carbonation. Thick creamy and billowing head, off white in color, fist full height tall. Thick island clumps and peaks and valleys, hanging off the edge of the glass. Just fantastic appearance.

Very nice subtle but noticeable soft hop aromas. Mild caramel with a big topping floral nose, and mild herbal spice. Brown sugar. Molasses, and floral sap out of a tree. Smells gooey and sticky. Loving it.

Palate meets expectations. Soft and candy like caramel malts more sensing of taffy. A real nice hop softness, hints towards floral and tea herbal aromatics. Soft malted backbone comes out pillowy. Icing sugar. Little bit of stinging carbonation on the front tip of the tongue, then goes to punch like juice mouthfeel.

A real nice mellow and fun IPA, very easy drinking as well for a high ABV. Really digging it. Not earthshattering, but overall just great and can't be missed. (1,127 characters)

Drake's Denogginizer from Drake's Brewing Co.