Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Drake's Denogginizer - Drake's Brewing Co.

Drake's DenogginizerDrake's Denogginizer

Drake's Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: oggg on 02-28-2005

4.28/5  rDev +9.5%

poured from a bomber into an eastern sierra lager pint glass, body takes an orange-gold glow with a tint of red in it, nice carbonation and a thin head with a small amount of lacing.

The smell is very hoppy and floral, a fresh multicolored garden combined with an orange tree is what I think of. The malt is there backing it up but the forward scent is all hop.

The flavor is great, it's got a ton of malt and hops in it with some stages. Initially I get a nice hoppy bite to the brew accompanied with some of the citrusy type flavors associated with hops. This is followed by a solid brown sugar and caramel malt taste which definitely gives a great backup and refreshes the palate for the next hopping. The 3rd stage ism back to the hops, this time its a spicier type woody hop that I get which gives the mouth a nice thing to leave on and impart a great aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is great, it's got a perfect amount of malt to the hop flavors they were going for. This is what I like to feel out of an ipa.

Extremely drinkable, for a 9.75% I taste very little alcohol and a ton of different flavors which all need their due turn in recognition...my palate is glad to try and identify them and it can't wait to do so!

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

This is a piney, bitter beer, super hoppy and it lives up to it's name.

Appearance: dark amber, poured a great head, with very nice lacing.

Smell: piney, citrus very hoppy.

Taste: piney, citrusy, with a full mouth feel. This beer is so big, you can have it as a meal.

It leaves a floral citrus residue that is pleasant and tropical.

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%

Notes from 8/11. 22 oz. bottle poured in to a pint glass.

A- Amber color. Poured with a light tan small head that faded fairly quickly. After the head was gone I was left with a small slick of bubbles from the etching on the bottom of my glass. Some lacing.

S- Sweet, floral hops, some light citrus hops, and malt.

T- Floral and citrus hops, of course, with a malty and citrusy finish. Nicely balanced, not overwhelming in any way.

M- On the light side of medium. Lightly oily, but not a standout in this category.

D- Great DIPA. Very smooth. Great flavor without being too overwhelming. My palette wasn't completely ruined, but I definitely couldn't review another beer after this one. I enjoyed it a lot and I will go back for more even at $7 a bottle. I could drink it often and all night long.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

I found this bottle at O'Shea's in Laguna Niguel. It was one of the few beers labelled IPA that I had not tried yet, so it was the first I found. Anywho, it was in a 22 with a rather interesting label, now it's in a pint glass, and soon it'll be in my belly.

Amber orange in color with a small off-white head that dissipates in minutes. While I'm writing about appearance, it should be noted that the graphic design on the label is notable. It's high-contrast black-and-white with the word 'Denogginizer' written in a semi-unreadable fashion. Suffice to say, it drew me in, and here I am, about one day, $7 and change later, tasting it.

Smells a little creamy, with citrus and pine.

Taste is good. It has a creamy and (very) slightly boozy aftertaste, but nothing about this beer is offensive. It's good. Try it.

Mouthfeel. I don't even know what that means but it feels good in my mouth. And, yes, it is drinkable.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

A - Ruby to copper look. Very clear. Nice near white frothy head, leaves slow and sudsy lace remains. Disk of head after 5-10 minutes.

S - Struck by the malt. Very deep malt complemented by piney hops with buds/cat pee type smell.

T - Taste matches smell somewhat but hops win! More hops than malt for sure.

M - Big beer, hard to balance. Somewhat creamy, good carb, balance to the hops.

D - Palate killer but nice one to drink one!

New try 10.24.11 Add TONS of melon and pineapple to the taste!

3.48/5  rDev -11%

A dark amber colored beer with a tall tan colored head. This is dark enough that it could be considered a red beer.

Strong hops with mostly a eucalyptus smell. Pine and grapefruit in about even proportions. I smell wood and ginger and that is about all for the smell.

Starts out sweet and slightly bitter. Sweetness stays in the background. Nice and hoppy but no real nuances to the taste, just hops.

Good mouthfeel.

Not as good as I had hoped. This is an OK beer, but it doesn't deliver on subtleties. There are better beers for less money.

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a rusty dark orange with over an inch of lingering off-white head that leaves long trails of sticky lacing. The nose is malty and inviting, with astringently bitter aromas of grapefruit and tangerine. On the first sip, the malty backbone threatens to overpower the hop profile, but within moments you get wave after wave of citric hoppiness, along with more subtle notes of tropical fruit. The mouthfeel is full bodied and creamy, with bracing, peppery carbonation. Denogginizer has everything I look for in a DIPA and then some!

3.32/5  rDev -15.1%

Ok here we go.... I love this beer fresh!!! But this bottle did not live up to what I have had on tap many times. It won a medal in the GABF for a reason it's great beer, with any DIPA it tends to lean towards the ABW when aged for longer than 90 days. The bottle I jut picked up has no freshness date.... LAME!!! The beer is dark in color lots of crystal malts , and the sweetness comes out for sure.
It tastes really good despite the slightly aged nose it has. I like this beer either way but this bottle was not the freshest. Good hops lots of malt to back it up. Cheers

3.81/5  rDev -2.6%

22oz brown bomber w/o freshness date.

This DIPA/IIPA has a lot of the characteristics of an ABW, but no matter as it is most delectable.

A lovely dark, orange hazy hue with a frothy lacing-prone off-white head greets the eyes. The nose, however, feels envious of its sensory ally as the aromas are less captivating and mostly malt-based. A wave of citrusy bitterness rolls across the taste buds and as it crests it turns into a wonderful whirlpool of caramel and stone fruit. As the flavors numb and then awaken the gums, this viscous, bubbly beast goes down the gullet like a treat. Drinking more than one bomber would be foolish me thinks, but as the volume shifts from glass to gut I savor each sip.

I would want to try the draft version (or an ultra fresh bottle?) to see if this barleywineish end product was the brewer's intent. I have tried many California DIPAs, and they have tended to be far hoppier. Green Flash's IIPA and Moylan's Hopsickle are very different from each other, but they have more in common than they do w/ the Denogginizer. This being said, my noggin is feeling and appreciating the assault.

4.37/5  rDev +11.8%

A - Dark Amber color with over an inch of off white head which fades pretty quick but leaves a slight film that doesn't go away.

S - Smell of Grapefruit, Pine, Lemon, Dark Sugar, Slight Pepper, and Herbs

T - Tastes of Pineapple, Caramel, Grapefruit, Hops, Tangerine, Mango, Basil. A little on the sweet side.

M - The mouthfeel is almost perfect for my taste.

D - All day long, this is a beer that can be enjoyed in any season. Was great on the warm day I had it on.

This is a very good beer and will I buy more when I see it.

4.17/5  rDev +6.6%

Vibrant grapefruit, lemon, passion fruit, floral , and mango scents; complex and mouth whetting aroma from Ahtanum and Amarillo hops. Two fingers of frothy off-white head on top of a copper brown, clear body; head fades fast.

Sticky resinous pine cones, robust caramel sweetness, and some ash. Resiny pine with tree sap sweetness on finish. Ends more balanced and sweet than bitter. Sticky pine, earthy, subtle grapefruit, tobacco. Medium bodied, oily, and a medium-high level of carbonation. Overall a malt bomb, but a tasty one at that!

4.04/5  rDev +3.3%

Into a standard pint.

Golden amber body with two fingers of fluffy off white head. Superb retention with a half an inch cap that doesn't ever go away and very nice lacing.

Sweet caramel malty nose. Hops come through as citrus and pine, but they are taking a decided back seat to the malts.

Piney, resinous, floral, and grape-fruity citrus hop flavors. The caramel malt backbone takes a backseat to the hop flavors in the taste.

Full bodied, creamy, well carbonated with tiny bubbles that produce a fairly crisp and dry finish.

East-coast looks and aroma with a west-coast taste and mouthfeel. Fantastic offering from Drake's.

3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a very dense fluffy head that slowly dissolves into a 1/2 in. dense cap. Tons and tons of globby lacing sit above a copper body with nice clarity. Due to the strong malt backbone, this IIPA strongly resembles a very solid Am. BW. Nose is of pine and citrus--lots of lemon/orange zest going on. Not to be outdone, the malt character shines through as well on the nose with notes of sweetbread and toast. This is a very tasty brew with well-balanced construction. If you are looking for a tongue ripper, this isn't it. While overtly hopped, the back of this is pleasantly supported with a strong malt quality. Very dense on the palate with lots of sticky residue on the finish. About as drinkable as any Am. BW: tastes great but can begin getting a bit heavy. Great stuff.

4.4/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Copper bodied brew. Sticky lace. Easily managed. Looking tasty to say the least.

It hits all the marks. Very intense hop profile. Bitter, citrus, drying and sharp. Malts are buried deep and provide nothing more than a tolerant backbone. This is the best I've had from Drakes and I hope they make this in larger scale. 6 packs welcomed.

Loved it. Drakes is close to being an elite brewery. They have some outstanding offerings and some run of the mill. Prices are worthy on some and a bit high on others. Fine tuning and this will be a favorite of mine.

3.71/5  rDev -5.1%

A - Great clarity with a light amber color. Nice frothy head that sticks around for days

S - Great citrus notes. Hops are very balanced; I am by no means an expert, but I would say the Simcoe hops are front and center here??

T - I had no preconceived notions going in relative to other Imperials, but this delivers. Slight spice, orange, and a lot of citrus

M - Not especially great in this department, but still lingers nicely and if anything contributes to the drinkability somewhat

D - Very drinkable for the style. Does not wear on your palate too much

4.18/5  rDev +6.9%

A: Pours a translucent amber with golden highlights, capped by a frothy, two finger off white head. Retention is good, as the head settles down to around a finger and remains there.

S: Hop aroma filled my nose before I was even done pouring. Strong herbal hops up front with a spicy hue, with some lighter floral and citrus character. Very faint caramel malt base in the background.

T: Opens up with spicy, herbal hops before moving into slightly muted citrus territory, along with some tropical fruits. Caramel malts come in fairly strong on the mid-palate and provide a good balance, leading to a sweet, citrusy finish.

M: Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation, good creamy quality to it.

D: The ABV is well hidden and the taste is extremely balanced...I'd reach for other IIPAs before this, but it's definitely a good one.

4.37/5  rDev +11.8%

Had to pick this up after reading all the typical hype, i think i'm old eneough to see every package change from these guys and have always wanted these guys to succeed, and i think this beer is getting them in the right direction. For one of the trendiest over done styles out there, this beer is solid eneough, but also unique enough to differentiate itself. Pour was a deep amber with a chunky head, smell matched the taste, big citrus, malty middle and slight boozy finish. What I liked about this beer was the malty finish that didn't hide the 9%, but eased you through it. Good stuff.

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a touch to the orange copper side of the ipa spectrum, nice white head and lots of lacing as I drink.

Aroma is giant and hoppy, citrus, a little bit of malt creeps in.

Flavor is a little generic for a IIPA but tasty regardless, big upfront bitterness with nice malt backbone, could have been a touch drier.

Will definetly be ordering this when I see it.

4.48/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

So glad they brought this to the Truckee beer fest, usually have to go into the East Bay (Hayward/San Leandro) for this one.

Amazing orange and auburn glow, with clarity, minimal head, white. Great dry hop aroma, citrus and pine, simcoe and amarillo is my guess.

Great taste, so easy to drink, hides the alcohol, gets you pumped up like it has caffeine in it, such a thrill to find this when you didn't expect it. Usually a perennial spot or two behind Pliny in my tally for dipa festival. Solid.

4.59/5  rDev +17.4%

Had this on 05/29/10 at Ladyface Alehouse (Agoura, CA). Didn't know what it was, just saw Drake's and knew it had to be good. I had no clue it was a DIPA.

A - Dark copper amber color looked almost like amber ale. No head at all when presented. The first appearance is deceiving; especially with me not knowing it was a DIPA.

S - This smelled like a hop bomb before I even got a taste of it. Very citrus with some sweetness to it. But the smell could have made me think it was a Double Red.

T - One sip and I knew it was a DIPA. Strong citrus flavors but added is a balanced malty flavor that balances this beer out and makes it extremely enjoyable to drink. I didn't want to put it down; I wanted to cradle it all day.

M - Perfection, not a single taste bud on my tongue wasn't happy. It could be because its destroyed from all the IPA/DIPA's I've had, but who's counting.

4.72/5  rDev +20.7%

Poured into a tlip a nice brown hue with some copper highlights at the bottom and the edges. Khaki head leaves some very clingy lacing the whole way down.

Hops run the aroma with citrus being the biggest player. Grapefruit and tropical fruit are the most dominate.

Taste is a nice hoppy pineapple, mango and pine mix. Enough of a malt sweetness that it doesn't allow the hops to be too aggressive. The balance is wonderful and this is the best DIPA I've had in awhile.

Drinkability is pretty good for such a big beer. Alcohol isn't really present in the taste, but it does show up when I first stood up from my bar stool. Mouthfeel was resinous and almost sticky. Definately coated the whole palate. Glad I got to try this and can't wait to get my hands on some more.

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

On tap at 38 Degrees Alhambra, Calif.

Poured a dark brown color into a pint glass. The smell of citrus is noticable. First sip is definitely a DIPA with a good backend. Good mouthfeel with a present ABV. Decent drinkability for a DIPA. Overall, a good DIPA with a good ABV backend.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

on-tap, Rogue Alehouse - San Francisco

cellphone notes

appearance: served in an odd overside cocktail glass, or something...hazy tangerine body, light bubbly white foam

smell: smooth hoppy aroma, tropical fruit, tangerine citrus

taste: big tangerine body, white pepper, fresh citrus, caramel, tropical fruit...nice one

mouthfeel: medium body, fresh

drinkability: good

3.95/5  rDev +1%

Had at FO Santa Moncia with my Father and Brother-in-Law

Appearance - Was served to us with about a finger of head that dissipated realatively fast leaving decent lacing. When held up to the light coming in from outside it has a copper/amber color to it.

Smell - Wow...the bartender said this was a DIPA but all I can find at first is the sweet malty smells coming from the beer. Caramel and some toffee which is eventually followed by some citrus and hops.

Taste - This immediately reminds me of more sweet D/IPA's such as 90 min and Gordons. A very sweet taste up front which is eventually, finally if you will, followed by a hint of hops and citrus. This was not a good drink to have right after a Pliny on tap, let me tell you. Granted I don't think many other D/IPA's could follow a PtE and actually compete with it, but even this was lackluster in my opinion. My Father and B-in-L are not beer geeks (besides what I tell them) and they also heavily preferred the PtE we had had just prior. Allow me to state, however, that this is not a "bad" DIPA because I have had many of those. It is just very barleywine like rather than a DIPA.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, almost syrupy, with little carbonation. One can taste hints of the alcohol in this drink. (Again, amazing how different DIPA's can be...I know this is a percent more than a PtE but my god, you can only taste awesomeness in PtE but here you get a bite of the alcohol at the tail end).

Drinkability - If I were at FO again and they had both PtE on tap and this, I would definitely go for a Pliny. Again, this is not a bad DIPA, however, when there are better DIPA's on tap right next to it, I will go for those. Granted, some people enjoy a sweeter DIPA rather than balanced or hoppy...I guess I am just not one of those people.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

I'm a fan of a lot of Drake's bigger beers, and this is one I'd wanted to try for a while but always seemed to miss it. Finally found it on tap at Meridian in Berkeley, and I'm glad I did. A delicious beer. A beautiful pour, dark orangey amber with a thick, lustrous head that sticks around for the duration of the beer as a 1/4 inch cap. Leaves some thick lacing as well. Big, hoppy nose with herbal, citrus, and especially pine notes with some sweet, bready malt. Beautifully balanced aromas. The taste is bold. Lots of herbal notes, with some noticeable dill, and piney hops with some sweet malt and a long bitter finish. The dill note is interesting- I've tasted hints of this in Racer 5, and lots of it in Exponential Hoppiness, and its coming from the hops, but I don't know what strain is creating it. In any case, its interesting. A long bitter finish rounds out the flavors. The mouthfeel is firm, but relatively smooth. This is an excellent beer. I just wish I saw it on more places.

Drake's Denogginizer from Drake's Brewing Co.