Drake's Denogginizer - Drake's Brewing Co.

Drake's DenogginizerDrake's Denogginizer

Drake's Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: oggg on 02-28-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Drake's Denogginizer Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next › last »
Ratings: 767 | Reviews: 221
4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

on-tap, Rogue Alehouse - San Francisco

cellphone notes

appearance: served in an odd overside cocktail glass, or something...hazy tangerine body, light bubbly white foam

smell: smooth hoppy aroma, tropical fruit, tangerine citrus

taste: big tangerine body, white pepper, fresh citrus, caramel, tropical fruit...nice one

mouthfeel: medium body, fresh

drinkability: good

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

Had at FO Santa Moncia with my Father and Brother-in-Law

Appearance - Was served to us with about a finger of head that dissipated realatively fast leaving decent lacing. When held up to the light coming in from outside it has a copper/amber color to it.

Smell - Wow...the bartender said this was a DIPA but all I can find at first is the sweet malty smells coming from the beer. Caramel and some toffee which is eventually followed by some citrus and hops.

Taste - This immediately reminds me of more sweet D/IPA's such as 90 min and Gordons. A very sweet taste up front which is eventually, finally if you will, followed by a hint of hops and citrus. This was not a good drink to have right after a Pliny on tap, let me tell you. Granted I don't think many other D/IPA's could follow a PtE and actually compete with it, but even this was lackluster in my opinion. My Father and B-in-L are not beer geeks (besides what I tell them) and they also heavily preferred the PtE we had had just prior. Allow me to state, however, that this is not a "bad" DIPA because I have had many of those. It is just very barleywine like rather than a DIPA.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, almost syrupy, with little carbonation. One can taste hints of the alcohol in this drink. (Again, amazing how different DIPA's can be...I know this is a percent more than a PtE but my god, you can only taste awesomeness in PtE but here you get a bite of the alcohol at the tail end).

Drinkability - If I were at FO again and they had both PtE on tap and this, I would definitely go for a Pliny. Again, this is not a bad DIPA, however, when there are better DIPA's on tap right next to it, I will go for those. Granted, some people enjoy a sweeter DIPA rather than balanced or hoppy...I guess I am just not one of those people.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

I'm a fan of a lot of Drake's bigger beers, and this is one I'd wanted to try for a while but always seemed to miss it. Finally found it on tap at Meridian in Berkeley, and I'm glad I did. A delicious beer. A beautiful pour, dark orangey amber with a thick, lustrous head that sticks around for the duration of the beer as a 1/4 inch cap. Leaves some thick lacing as well. Big, hoppy nose with herbal, citrus, and especially pine notes with some sweet, bready malt. Beautifully balanced aromas. The taste is bold. Lots of herbal notes, with some noticeable dill, and piney hops with some sweet malt and a long bitter finish. The dill note is interesting- I've tasted hints of this in Racer 5, and lots of it in Exponential Hoppiness, and its coming from the hops, but I don't know what strain is creating it. In any case, its interesting. A long bitter finish rounds out the flavors. The mouthfeel is firm, but relatively smooth. This is an excellent beer. I just wish I saw it on more places.

4.23/5  rDev +7.9%

Another day another kick ass brew at Downtown Johnny Brown's SD.

A: Pours a very nice ruby hue. Nice tight 1/4 finger head. Good retention and ridiculous lace.

S: Not overly bold, but nicely hopped. Hints of sweet caramel malt mixed with sweet resinous pine.

T: Wonderful sweet malt backbone which is quickly over powered by the hops. Tons of dripping sweet resinous pine backed by nice green floral hops.

M: Medium in body smooth with a nice grassy hop bite in the finish.

D: Very good, glad to try another Drake's brew.

4.37/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

On draught at the Toranado, served in a tulip. Denogginizer is a dark, dull orange with a small white collar, leaving decent lace.

Smell is pungent hops, almost like what I would assume pure hop oil extract smells like. It's on the sweeter, fruity side, pineapple and watermelon (almost, but not nearly as distinctly melon as the Mad River Jamaican Red, but probably the same hop). The pine resin comes out more as it warms, very nice.

Taste is also quite hoppy, with pretty firm malt backbone balancing it out. Strong but not overwhelming bitterness, the hops really linger on the tongue, whoa! Really a pretty nice DIPA, big hop flavor, but the intense malt provides some 'balance'. Still, nothing I'm going to move from Portland for!

Mouthfeel is pretty creamy, but oily and dry, with a medium-heavy, chewy body.

Drinkability is pretty good, the taste in particular. The body's a bit thick to really slurp 'em back like I tend to do with PtE, but still damn good!

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

10 ounce glass at The Bistro in Hayward a little over a month ago, reviewed from notes, color is copper with some vibrant orange, there is a big 1 1/2 inch soapy off white head that lasts a long time, nice lacing too, aroma is made up of both floral and piney hops, figs, lots of caramel, light bread, dried dark fruits, grapefruit, toffee, and mild booze, smell reminds me or of a barleywine than a DIPA, starts off with some mild hop notes, sweet caramel and booze in the middle, finish is slightly bitter and a good amount of warmth in the aftertaste along with some lingering caramel, gets fruity, sweeter, and more alcoholic as it warms, malt was dominant in this one from a DIPA perspective, needed a larger hop profile to really make it special but still good overall, sweet, citrusy, dry, boozy, and fruity mouthfeel, full bodied, light carbonation that can be a bit syrupy, taste lingered, could not have drank much more than a few ounces of this, seemed even stronger than it was because the booze were not hidden that great, not the smoothest and quite thick and filling for a double IPA, Drake does make good beer and this is no exception, I had heard a lot about this brew before getting to have some, I would like to drink it again even though it did not live up to the extent of its hype, recommended

3.41/5  rDev -13%

On tap at Rose & Crown in Palo Alto.

Pours a dark amber color with a thick & creamy white head. The head has good staying power & leaves lots of sticky glue like webbing on the glass as it goes down. Wonder if it's doing that to my tubes inside as well? I hope so.

Smells of sweetness mostly. Sugar, big maltiness, some faint tropical aromas, and booze. Nothing off or bad, just not what I expected for a IIPA.

The taste is much better than the nose led me. Nice malty sweetness, fruitiness, some tropical hoppiness comes through, but the sweetness dominates, warming boozy presence as well. Interesting take on an IIPA.

Medium bodied, moderately carbonated, slick, thick.

Drinks well for how sweet it is & the ABV.

Hmmm indeed. I enjoyed this. Wont be going out of my way to find again. But will gladly sample again.

3.21/5  rDev -18.1%

Had this on tap at the Rose & Crown.

My primary problem with this beer was that it was just way too sweet for me. The other reviewer who compared this to a barleywine hit the nail right on the head here. The hops are just completely overshadowed.

If you like your DIPAs "east-coast style" with a massive malt backbone, there might be something for you here. On the other hand, if, like me, you want the hops to be the starring role of your IPA, I think you're going to walk away from this beer a bit disappointed.

I know I did.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

On tap at the Toronado in SF today.

The beer pours a solid amber color with very good head retention and decent lacing. The nose on this beer is pretty impressive, consisting of fruity malt, some spice and noticeable bitterness. The nose on this bad boy is all DIPA and no mistake.

On the palate the beer generally replicates the nose and is just delicious. There is a huge fruity presence of melon, cherry cough drop and hoppy citrus. The interplay of flavors is intriguing, and I appreciate how the finish is on the dry side, despite all the sweet malt. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and drinkabilty is quite impressive, given the abv.

This is an absolutely excellent DIPA, and is a beer that seems to impart the best aspects of both the East Coast and West Coast in a DIPA. This is just excellent stuff.

3.23/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours amber/orange with a thin white crust.

Smells like ... a barleywine. This is a double IPA? I have my doubts. Malty, no real hops in the nose, some fruits ... I detect zero citrus. Hmmm...

Taste is kind of a blend of J.W. Lee's Harvest Ales and maybe a sweeter, maltier DIPA like Dogfishhead 90 minute. That sounds good, but it really wasn't. Sickly sweet malt, some sweeter fruits .. no citrus, no hops, taste wore on me even with only 12 oz.

No carbonation.

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

Have had a handful of stuff from Drake's before, was told that this was a barleywine. Doesn't really taste like a double IPA to me, though it could be. But for that matter, it is significantly different from the barleywines I've had before.
A: Dark copper brown body with a frothy off-white head with great retention.
S: Not a terribly strong smell. Some malts, sugars, and specifically a hint of brown sugar. Also a good dose of grapefruit present, but little hops.
T: Some honey along with the malts. Noticeable alcohol, but not as strong as other barleywines I've had. Some of the grapefruit bitterness comes through, but overall pretty sweet.
M: Definitely not as cloying as a lot of barleywines. Goes down easy.
D: Pretty dangerous. Had it at Jupiter, where I was told it was 11%. Whether that or 9%, it goes down easy. A friend of mine chugged one pretty quickly. But it still has some great flavor; will have to pick up a six-pack sometime.

4.4/5  rDev +12.2%

Tasted on tap at the Rose and Crown (Palo Alto, CA), The Bistro (Hayward, CA), and the Dublin Sports Pub (Dublin, CA).

A: Thin white head above a medium-amber and just slightly cloudy drawn pint.

S: Citrus, grapefruit rind, Centennial aroma. No nuttiness, a good sign.

T: Assaulting hoppiness which lasts several seconds after the first swallow, then well-balanced residual malt compensates, followed by a somewhat sour and rising alcohol finish, not unpleasant or overpowering the citrus. Hop complexity comparable to Green Flash Imperial or Stone Ruination. All good in a strong IPA.

M: Apparent thinness in head maybe a tap artifact. Very nice cling and legs down the glass, especially as it warms a bit. Coats tongue and throat, not unlike a Bigfoot or similar weight barleywine, yet not nearly so caramelized. Would be excellent on cask draw, I think.

D: Nice choice as a first glass before a good single IPA (such as Drakes).

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%

On-tap at the Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a dark amber, with a thin white head, good retention though, and very good lacing.

S: Very floral, ripe - just picked grapefruit, orange.

T: Great caramel/toffee maltiness, that doesn't detract from the hop character that I've found in a lot of Double IPA's. Grapefruit, light pine resin, citrus fruit from the hops, really tasty, right on the DIPA/Barleywine bordeline, reminds me a lot of Bigfoot '07.

M: Resiny, oily, medium-bodied, slick.

D: A really good DIPA from Drake's, I need to try more of their beers, what I've had from them has been really good.

4.42/5  rDev +12.8%

Had this on tap at Toronado. Unfortunately it was already my 4th beer of the day so I'm probably not qualified to comment on how alcoholic the beer tasted or smelled.

In any case it poured a nice orange/red color that was pretty clear and had some sticky white head that laced the glass well.

The smell was intensely strong and of hops and more hops. Part citrus but mostly pine. Some sweet malt, well probably a lot of malt if it was noticeable under all those hops. Wonderful.

The taste was similar. It was basically a stronger more rediculous version of their IPA. Very sweet, moderately bitter, very hoppy in every aspect. Great beer all around.

Don't know if this is going to be bottled but I would love to find some of this.

4.23/5  rDev +7.9%

On -tap at O'Brien's, served in a pint glass. A deep orange-copper with an off-white head of thick cream, the lacing after each sip looked like a beer-battered onionring, seriously. This lace is super thick and creamy!

First smell is of a piney, sappy, resinous hop-bomb. Pine and citrus, hop-bomb through and through. Just by the smell, it's not hard to tell it's at least a 2XIPA...yum.

The flavor doesn't disappoint, it's as hoppy as they come. Each sip seems to be hoppier than the last. The end of the pint is spikey, bitter and punishing with the IBU's running off the chart.

Medium body, high ABV and hops aplenty give this a crisp, bitter-sharp mouhyfeel and should certainly satisfy any true hophead...it sure works for me. Cheers!

GABF 2005. Light gold. Rich hop aroma, just how I like it. Vibrant grapefruit, pine and spruce, with perhaps a hint of grass and herbs. Medium bodied, with a creamy, yet slick texture. Big time bitterness, with grapefruit and orange rind flavors. Good stuff and what do you know, it’s West Coast.

On tap @ Hollingshead.

This imperial IPA pours a burnt hazy orange with an off-white head that left a beautiful lace, like a doiley that is the pint glasses lingerie slipping down the glass.. The bouquet was straight up hop pine and then some... not much more to say on that. The taste, WOW. Very well balanced hops, or hops hops hops i should say. You need the malt backbone to carry it and this brew does it.. A smooth bitterness that is blended quite perfectly.

Good carbonation and medium somewhat resiny mouthfeel that will leave you wanting more.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

Had on tap at Toronado's in San Francisco. Presented in a tulip glass, with a murky orange color and slight but lasting white head.

The server at Toronado's told me this was a strong golden ale, but it's an IPA (or double IPA as BA lists it). Anyway I wasn't prepared for the strong hoppy aroma. I had this directly after drinking a Pliny the Elder, so this was a good chance to compare 2 double IPA's.

Overall the flavor was strong hops, not bitter, and coated the tongue much more than Pliny did. It felt like hops resin was left in my mouth after each sip (I guess this is good...). I don't think I could drink too many in a row, though.

I highly recommend this if you can find it.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

Served on tap at the Tornado. It poured a rich copper color, with a thin head that left a great lace. Great fresh hop aroma. Piney, grassy, orange, grapefruit all come across in the nose. Flavor has a nice mixture of pine resin, hay and grapefruit rind. Slick, slightly oily mouth feel, good bitterness, very drinkable.

March 2005- On tap at the Toronado in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- Poured in a tulip style glass from the tap.

Appearance- Golden-orange colored with a small tight creamy white head and lots of lacing.

Smell- One of the better scented DIPA's out there. Lots of citrus and grapefruit hops.

Taste- Hits you pretty hard in the hops department. First it's the pine and then it's a sweet grapefruit flavors. Almost like a Pliny the Younger, but not as balanced. Lacking a tad in the malt department. There is malt there, but the hops really overpower it.

Mouthfeel- Low carbonation with the sweetness make this a heavy mouthfeel, almost like a light sryup.

Drinkability- The ABV seems higher than listed. I would have said over 10% for sure. This one would be perfect for 2 tulips in a session.

4.44/5  rDev +13.3%

I had the good luck of visiting Jupiter for the first time and finding this 1st place winner at the 2005 5th annual dIPA festival in Hayward.

This beer is auburn red, slightly murky. Fine bubbled head is minimal in the tall 20oz glass. I initially asked for a sample, and the small amount of liquid in the larger sample glass allowed me to swirl the beer, releasing MASSIVE hop aromas of pine cones, lemon/lime, and grapefruit. I'm talking #1 strongest and most delicious hop aroma ever. Unfortunately, it's hard to swirl 20oz of dIPA in a 20oz glass. So I recommend if you run out to Jupiter and get the dIPA, get it in like 3 glasses so you can swirl it around for a few hours, taking in that seductive aroma.
On the tongue, the hop bitterness is severe but not harsh like in Pliny, and it lingers. Strong but smooth hits of citrus pound the tongue. Malt really takes a back seat, which was a bit surprisingly since most dIPAs I've had try really hard to show some malt complexity.

Overall: hugely aromatic double IPA

« first ‹ prev | 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next › last »
Drake's Denogginizer from Drake's Brewing Co.