Drake's Denogginizer - Drake's Brewing Co.

Drake's DenogginizerDrake's Denogginizer

Drake's Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: oggg on 02-28-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Drake's Denogginizer Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -36.1%

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

Clear gold colored beer with a nice fluffy white head. Average retention, not much lacing left behind. Sweet pineapple and citrus aroma grows more complex in the tasting, with caramel malt and a faint oniony note beneath the sweet and bitter citrus hops. Booze is totally hidden but you feel it by the end of the bottle. Medium-full bodied with average carbonation for the style. Decent mouthfeel, could be a bit smoother and creamier.

Definitely on the maltier side of the ledger for a DIPA but there’s still a healthy dose of citrusy hops to offset that. Don’t go in expecting a totally dry hop bomb and you won’t be disappointed.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a murky golden amber honey color that is appealing. A light tan head leaves thick lacing.

Smell is tropical and grapefruit, piney and very bold. There is some booze present as well.

Flavor is bigger than the aroma, a grapefruit punch and bitter pith start it out, with a light malt middle. The pith comes back for an aftertaste, pretty good balance.

The hops and alcohol combine for a big bite and the carbonation is tingly on my tongue.

This was one of the beers that got me started on the Hop Path, so it's special to me. The flavor is big and bold and along with the feel, this smacks me upside the head. Good thing I shared this with my wife, yet, even with half, it knocked her out.

DOA

3.98/5  rDev +1.8%

I got this bottle in the Santa Barbara Whole Foods and poured it into a small (Firestone Walker) pint glass.

A - It's a little more amber than I'd expect, but still copper/orangish enough to fit the style. It's got a nice white lacy head which poured thick and persisted for a long while.

S - Lots of hops, but also a fair bit of malt. Some grapefruit but then more oatmeal (cereal-type smell) and chocolate types of smell.

T - A thick, complex grapefruit from the hops followed by a thick caramel/toffee from the malt. It then dives into bitterness and alcohol. More malty than expected.

M - A medium carbonation, but the alcohol almost overrides the bitterness with a sharper warming than maybe ought to be there - but it is 9.75%, so maybe that's to be expected.

O - It's definitely good and worth trying! If I could get it in Ontario it would be awesome, but for having to ship home it's not worth it. A little too malty and alcohol for the style. The line between a hoppy-carbonated barley wine and a malty-warming Imperial IPA is being straddled here! If you can't decided if you want a barley wine or a IPA, grab a Denogginizer!

2.5/5  rDev -36.1%

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Color was caramel. Lots of head, maybe three or four fingers, mainly because of an awful pour by me. Full of white frothy cloudy lacing. Pretty similar look on the sides (film) compared to the lacing.

Lots of bitter hops in the initial sniff. Citrus hops, but couldn’t put the fruit in it. Some lemon and some tangerine I think.

Tasted of a nice mixture of caramel malts and citrus hops with a bitter alcohol backbone. Seemed to be more caramel than citrus. I’d say lemon for citrus, but not a bad balance.

Medium body. Creamy texture. Lively (above average) carbonation. Long and nice finish.

A pretty good beer overall, but I have to admit I was expecting just a tad bit more. My awful pour in the beginning didn’t help, but still.

3.74/5  rDev -4.3%

A: Clear brown pour with a big white head resulting from a vigorous pour. A ton of lacing follows the head down the side of my Bell's Tulip glass, and the retention is above average. I didn't notice any bubbles after the initial pour.

S: Very piney aroma with a lot of booze coming through. The smell seems to be a bit disjointed, extremely piney, sort of strange.

T: Luckily the taste here is quite nice. A big malt backbone balances out the pine. The booze is there, but not as in your face as it is in the aroma. Really surprised that this beer combines a huge bitterness and sweetness. From the smell, I really expected this to be an unbalanced mess.

MF: Medium body with a low carbonation. The booze warms the body at points, and comes off slightly offensive at the very end.

O: I really liked this beer. If only the alcohol wasn't so present I would have loved it. Big thanks to beermebaby89113 for providing this as an extra. What a guy!

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a deep ruddy orange with a white head and good lacing.

Smells of deep earthy hops, pine, and a hint of mint.

Taste: very dank, slightly juicy hops. Stinging juicy bitterness that mixes with the sting of the alcohol.

Body is medium-full bodied...has to be for this huge IPA.

Overall...great bouquet of floral dank hops and a malt backbone that's detectable with a juicy bitter finish. Very impressed by this imperial.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

3.7/5  rDev -5.4%

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

Clear orange and amber with a thin off-white head--spots, lines, and spiderwebs of lace left down the glass.

Bold aroma both with big, citrus, resinous, dank hop notes and tons of big, sweet, syrupy sweet malt accents, along with just a touch of alcohol bite.

The flavor follows similarly with tons of both hops and sweet malt characteristics. This is just a touch too sweet and a bit boozy for my liking, though I can appreciate what's here.

Medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation.

A big, hugely flavorful, sweet DIPA. This isn't the direction I prefer my DIPAs to lean, but this is no slouch of a beer.

4.63/5  rDev +18.4%

This pours a rich, luscious caramel color with a nice foam top. It has a bracing hoppiness and some maltiness to balance. Lots of grapefruit and pine aromas that belie a citrusy, piney, full-flavored body. The hops are spicy, full-bodied, bracing yet mellow—well-balanced—with lots of citrus, grapefruit, and intense orange peel. I also pick up some orange chutney as well as caramel malt sweetness and a hint of vanilla. It has a dry, tacky finish and some thick chewy heft.

Careful with this one—I’ve had many an instance where the Denogginizer lived up to its name!

3.43/5  rDev -12.3%

Thanks to lurpy1 for bringing this, among other SouthCal brews, back from the Golden State. Almost through all of them. Are you going again soon? Don't bring me anything else, I think I have enough beer. 22 oz. bomber.

What? Oh. Poured into a pair of mini-snifters, the beer is a bright, filtered copper. Nose is an assault of onion that brings tear to my eyes. Sucking in seventeen cubic nosefuls of air, that's it. Onion. Huh. There could be something wrong with my nose, but my wife gets the same.

Denogginizer puts the ogg in onion. Glancing through the other reviews, I see nothing about any vegetables being slaughtered in worship to the Denogginizer. Onion is on this beer like Pretty Woman on TBS. Heavy bitterness follows, then a slap of alcohol careens off the palate, banks off the stomach, & slams into the liver. Incredibly juicy. Heavy.

Good beer, but our unique experience with the white veggie leads me to believe this bottle isn't typical of the 'Nogg taste. Interesting anyways & I'll be happy to finish what I have sitting next to my hand.

Drake's Denogginizer from Drake's Brewing Co.