Drake's Denogginizer - Drake's Brewing Co.

Drake's DenogginizerDrake's Denogginizer

Drake's Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: oggg on 02-28-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Drake's Denogginizer Alström Bros

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Color was caramel. Lots of head, maybe three or four fingers, mainly because of an awful pour by me. Full of white frothy cloudy lacing. Pretty similar look on the sides (film) compared to the lacing.

Lots of bitter hops in the initial sniff. Citrus hops, but couldn’t put the fruit in it. Some lemon and some tangerine I think.

Tasted of a nice mixture of caramel malts and citrus hops with a bitter alcohol backbone. Seemed to be more caramel than citrus. I’d say lemon for citrus, but not a bad balance.

Medium body. Creamy texture. Lively (above average) carbonation. Long and nice finish.

A pretty good beer overall, but I have to admit I was expecting just a tad bit more. My awful pour in the beginning didn’t help, but still.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

3.78/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Clear brown pour with a big white head resulting from a vigorous pour. A ton of lacing follows the head down the side of my Bell's Tulip glass, and the retention is above average. I didn't notice any bubbles after the initial pour.

S: Very piney aroma with a lot of booze coming through. The smell seems to be a bit disjointed, extremely piney, sort of strange.

T: Luckily the taste here is quite nice. A big malt backbone balances out the pine. The booze is there, but not as in your face as it is in the aroma. Really surprised that this beer combines a huge bitterness and sweetness. From the smell, I really expected this to be an unbalanced mess.

MF: Medium body with a low carbonation. The booze warms the body at points, and comes off slightly offensive at the very end.

O: I really liked this beer. If only the alcohol wasn't so present I would have loved it. Big thanks to beermebaby89113 for providing this as an extra. What a guy!

4.38/5  rDev +12%

Pours a deep ruddy orange with a white head and good lacing.

Smells of deep earthy hops, pine, and a hint of mint.

Taste: very dank, slightly juicy hops. Stinging juicy bitterness that mixes with the sting of the alcohol.

Body is medium-full bodied...has to be for this huge IPA.

Overall...great bouquet of floral dank hops and a malt backbone that's detectable with a juicy bitter finish. Very impressed by this imperial.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

3.68/5  rDev -5.9%

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

Clear orange and amber with a thin off-white head--spots, lines, and spiderwebs of lace left down the glass.

Bold aroma both with big, citrus, resinous, dank hop notes and tons of big, sweet, syrupy sweet malt accents, along with just a touch of alcohol bite.

The flavor follows similarly with tons of both hops and sweet malt characteristics. This is just a touch too sweet and a bit boozy for my liking, though I can appreciate what's here.

Medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation.

A big, hugely flavorful, sweet DIPA. This isn't the direction I prefer my DIPAs to lean, but this is no slouch of a beer.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

4.63/5  rDev +18.4%

This pours a rich, luscious caramel color with a nice foam top. It has a bracing hoppiness and some maltiness to balance. Lots of grapefruit and pine aromas that belie a citrusy, piney, full-flavored body. The hops are spicy, full-bodied, bracing yet mellow—well-balanced—with lots of citrus, grapefruit, and intense orange peel. I also pick up some orange chutney as well as caramel malt sweetness and a hint of vanilla. It has a dry, tacky finish and some thick chewy heft.

Careful with this one—I’ve had many an instance where the Denogginizer lived up to its name!

3.43/5  rDev -12.3%

Thanks to lurpy1 for bringing this, among other SouthCal brews, back from the Golden State. Almost through all of them. Are you going again soon? Don't bring me anything else, I think I have enough beer. 22 oz. bomber.

What? Oh. Poured into a pair of mini-snifters, the beer is a bright, filtered copper. Nose is an assault of onion that brings tear to my eyes. Sucking in seventeen cubic nosefuls of air, that's it. Onion. Huh. There could be something wrong with my nose, but my wife gets the same.

Denogginizer puts the ogg in onion. Glancing through the other reviews, I see nothing about any vegetables being slaughtered in worship to the Denogginizer. Onion is on this beer like Pretty Woman on TBS. Heavy bitterness follows, then a slap of alcohol careens off the palate, banks off the stomach, & slams into the liver. Incredibly juicy. Heavy.

Good beer, but our unique experience with the white veggie leads me to believe this bottle isn't typical of the 'Nogg taste. Interesting anyways & I'll be happy to finish what I have sitting next to my hand.

3.48/5  rDev -11%

Poured into a big snifter
darker than I like my IPA/DIPAs
smell - pine, caramel malt
taste, good hop prickliness throughout, caramel, piney taste
mouthfeel is one of the best attributes of this beer
overall - glad I tried it but I just like my DIPAs with way more citrus so I would say I do not prefer the style. If I did prefer a more balanced DIPA with more malt assertiveness then this one is complex and I would seek it out.

Grainy red pour with pillowy 2-finger medium cream head. Decent retention, but a little light on lace.

Nose is what I expect from a DIPA. Lots of esters and floral hops, with biscuit malt backing that up. Smells earthy and grainy.

The earth and grain nose translate into the taste. ABV is felt very early. Rather mild hop finish, with more alcohol than hop burn. Bits of apricot come out late in the glass.

Feel is about right, suitably heavy without being overly thick.

A very decent DIPA. Nice and warming on a cold night.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

A - Hazy dark amber brown.

S - Subtle hops. Moderate malt. Floral.

T - Alcohol. Spicy floral hops. Moderate toast malt. Tangy.

M - Heavy body. Lingering spicy bitterness.

O - Love its spiciness. Very strong. Heavy. Big California IIPA. Would drink again.

Drake's Denogginizer from Drake's Brewing Co.