Join our email list →

Drake's Hopocalypse - Drake's Brewing Co.

Drake's HopocalypseDrake's Hopocalypse

Drake's Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 9.30% ABV

Beer added by: magictrokini on 12-17-2008

4.39/5  rDev +7.1%

Brand new at the bottle shop, always good to pick up a new release.

Pours a light amber with gold and orange hints. A huge off white head leaves plenty of nice lacing.

Smell is very tropical, mango, apricot and pineapple. I detect a bready malt undertone, but only by looking for it.

Taste is big bitter hops, pithy with almost no malt presence. Finishes with more pith.

Feel is very smooth, easy gliding and almost light. Hides it's booze well, but, I miss the hops feel.

What a great smelling beer, if only it tasted as big. Feels easy to drink, and I kind of wanted some punch you in the face feel, which I didn't get. I still loved the beer, and will look for a bottle every year.

DOA

3.91/5  rDev -4.6%

Looks perfect, bright orange/ amber with a slight haziness and lastly head. What else could you ask for!?

Smells nice, a nice mix of tangerine and caramel malt. Reminds me of Sculpin. Nothing out-of-the-box, but certainly nice.

Tastes very nice, very similar from the nose; a strong tangerine/ citrus flavor that is backed by a caramel malt/ alcohol backbone. Lots of alcohol.

Very solid DIPA. It isn't masked or juice/ complex enough to be one of the best out there, but very worthy of a buy, especially on top at a bar; don't pass it by. Nothing wrong with this beer.

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had this fresh and it was just crazy, over-the-top hoppy. Insanely intense aroma (grassy, citrusy, and a little dank) and tongue-coating grassy hops. I enjoyed it, but it's definitely right at the edge of reason. To go beyond this you might as well just chew on the plant itself and drink something else.

3.97/5  rDev -3.2%

On tap at Rose & Crown. From mental notes. I'm sharp.

Pours a deep orange/rust almost brown color with a 1 finger deep off white head. Plenty of sticky lacing & webbing left on glass.

Big citrus aroma, tropical notes, grapefruit, lemon/lime zest, pine needle aroma in there too.

As nose suggests, big citric & earthy biting hop flavor, just enough caramel sweet maltiness to balance the bitterneess, warming booziness as well. The hops do dominate & let you know the star of the show.

Medium bodied, low carbonation, sticky, oily, lingering bitterness.

Guessing the ABV of this one is somewhere around 8-10%. It makes it's presence known. Would happily have a couple in a sitting. Very tasty.

4.24/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a beautiful, nearly glowing clear orange amber. The off-white head doesn't stick around long, but who cares, because the bouquet is spectacular. Vibrant sweet grapefruit and soft pine that invades the olfactory and dances there like a nice perfume. There's a surprising amount of grain in the flavor given the bouquet. Smooth on the front and a little scrubby on the back. Big pine and sweet, dried fruit. A pretty noticeable alcohol warmth. A very nice DIPA.

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

A tip of the cap goes to Genghis22 for sending this as an extra. This was a terrific box.

A: Pours a semi-hazy orangish amber. Big three fingers of soapy white head that's in no hurry to go anywhere...great retention. Leaves behind a foamy film with lots of bubbles. Not as much lacing as I would expect, but there is some around the glass.

S: Big smell. Shortly after popping the cap, I was greated with a big hop aroma. Once in the glass, it isn't quite as big as I would have thought from the initial impression, but still very good. Citrus and pine are what I notice the most. Grapefruit, orange and peach.

T: Sweet and savory at first. Orange, peach, mango, grapefruit..maybe pineapple? Finishes with an even, pine bitterness and toasted malt...some alcohol present Want to give this a 4.5, but something is holding me back..maybe alcohol finish.

M: Smooth and creamy. A little sticky and dry with just a little alchohol burn.

O: Despite the alcohol being slightly present, this is a pretty drinkable DIPA. It tastes and smells very good and in terms of looks, you can't ask for much more. This is a very good example of the style and I'll talk about Hopocalypse in a good light for sure.

Thanks again James.

4.01/5  rDev -2.2%

22oz Bottle poured into a goose island stemed glass.

A - Pours a dark mostly clear amber color with a one finger off white head. The head sticks around for a really long time. Wonderful head retention and eventually great lacing.

S - Wonderful aromas of pine and citrus and rye. I'm smelling some faint pineapple and mango as well. Some hints of malt sweetness present. The smell is very pleasing a d welcoming. Definitely a strong point in this beers profile.

T - Oh my, this is one hoppy beer. They're not kidding with the 100 ibu claim. It's wonderfully bitter up front with a very strong malty backbone. Slightly sweet finish, but the aftertaste and the lingering effect on my tongue is all bitter hops. Definitely what I love and come to expect from a West Coast DIPA.

M - Medium bodied with light carbonation. the 9.3 abv isn't hidden that well and neither is the 100+ IBU's. It's bitter, strong and very pleasing in my mouth.

O - I really enjoyed this offering from Drakes. I'm lucky that they are a local brewery and are making high quality beers. But they have to to compete with the other local breweries.

3.63/5  rDev -11.5%

Well, I gotta say, I'm one of the few and the proud to say I have NEVER liked anything from Drake's...Just never liked 'em...So let's see if they can wave their supposed "accolades" in front of me with this 'a' here brew...

The basics: 9.3% ABV (yeah!) and $6.49/bomber (ouch)...

Beautiful orange amber in color. Nice, frothy head builds up like a sand dune, then recedes, leaving nice lacing. Very light carbonation...

Aromas are nice, somewhat muted and not very out of the ordinary. Their new slogan is "Drink Different, Drink Drake's" and while I like the alliteration, the aroma profile is anything but different. You've smelled this ale many times under different names.

Got two great things today: the new Rotten Sound album (GRIND!) and Dragon Age II!!! Hopefully this ale can stand up to that awesomeness...It hasn't thus far.

Flavor is unique. It's more "hop bomb" than I expected. Very one dimensional and I'm gonna wait a few moments to let the hops wash out of my mouth so I can try a second taste and see if I get any malt or other characteristics. Very bitter up front from the hops...The middle has a very hoppy bitterness, this leads into a nice, long very hoppy bitter finish. The Hopocalypse is upon me!!! It's all hops. I get almost nothing else out of this. Super one dimensional, and I prefer well-balanced or unique. This ale is neither of those things. I guess I'll need Rotten Sound to GRIND this out of me!!!

What I like most: The very nice appearance and overall look.

What I like least: Vibrantly one dimensional flavor profile and high than average price point.

Verdict: Too expensive for such a mundane DIPA. Look elsewhere.

3.57/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got as an extra recently. No freshness date. Served in balloon glass.

Very nice pour with a solid off-white head. Clear, brilliant amber-colored body. Doesn't appear to have much carbonation. The head dies down way too quickly though, and leaves only minimal sudsy lacing.

Aroma is of big bold hops, with hints of blood orange, taffy, and alcohol. I like it. Not really blowing me away though, as this DIPA category is a tough one to compete in. The aroma is big and bold, though I tend to lean towards refined, complex and delicate.

Very very bitter beer, with plenty of hop flavor, pine and citrus. Bitter orange pith on the palette. Sweet caramel malts in the background mixed with a tinge of alcohol. Very robust flavor. It tastes every bit of 9.25% abv.

Rich, full-bodied DIPA with healthy carbonation and a sweet finish.

Not sure I am being too picky here or what. I think the beer is a good example of the DIPA style, but it weighs in fairly strong for me. Appearance was decent, but could have used better retention, the aroma was strong and hoppy, the flavor was rich, bitter, semi-balanced with a rich sweetness, and for some reason I just wasn't impressed. Maybe I'm not into the hops they are choosing here. I recognize that it's well made, but I don't think I would seek this one out again.

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

2015 4.35 Rating

I get a different flavor profile this year. I get more tropical fruit, but more of an orange juice taste,with a better malt sweetness.

2014 4.03 Rating
Aroma: Hoppy pine, resinous, stale

Appearance: Amber/reddish color, nice lacing

Flavor: Sweet caramel malt, Bitter metal, peppery after taste. Pine, not getting much citrus, do get a mix of peach/grapefruit. The peach flavor is from the citra used hop, wet and dry.
I get a slight wine aspect with the simcoe hop.

Amarillo hops are known as hop bombs, and it's fitting from this beer.

4.47/5  rDev +9%

22oz bottle received in an unsolicited, awesome box full of IPAs from Arbitrator. Thank you!

The beer pours a deep orange/amber color with a finger of white foam atop it. The head recedes leaving a thick ring around the outside of the glass and sticky lacing. The nose is tropical fruity hops, hemp and pine resin. Taste opens with a blast of hoppy bitterness. Orange peel and grapefruit predominate. A pale malt backbone tries to make it's presence known mid palate, but the aggressive hop profile beats it into submission. The finish is piney and semi-dry with a bitter aftertaste which lingers. This is a full bodied brew with a resinous, sticky feel. Medium carbonation lends a somewhat creamy texture. Hopocalypse is another great DIPA from Drake's. It has everything I look for in a hop bomb: a ridiculous amount of hops whose names start wih the letter "C" (and some Magnums for good measure), an unobtrusive malt bill which doesn't detract from the hops, and a nice, piney, bitter aftertaste. Recommended.

4.84/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Crystal clear, deep orange colored beer. Nice head. Decent retention. Fizzy ring remains throughout. Great lacing.

Oh my god! Insanely incredible hop aroma! Tons of tropical fruit. Specifically mango. Some sweet malt, but none of that burnt sugar aroma you get from some double IPAs.

Incredible flavor. More complex and malty than the aroma leads on, but still very, very hoppy. And not overly bitter. Slight alcohol, yet not what you'd expect from 9.3 ABV.

Medium bodied. Perfect carbonation. Lingering bitter, yet wet finish.

This is an incredible beer I received from a trader who advised me to "drink it fresh." I'm glad I did! The hop flavor and aroma was an incredible experience!

3.76/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours a dark orange, with plenty of brown hints. Very, very dark DIPA with two-finger head that dissipates to a one-finger cap that retains well. Lace is minimal.

This is tropical bomb, with gobs of mango, jackfruit and pineapple. Caramel lends a ripe sweetness to the fruit, and there is a noticeable lack of pine or resin. This is a STRONG smell - I could smell the fruit from a couple feet away after the pour - and it is definitely better for it.

Taste takes a turn, moving towards a lot more pine and resin flavors. The fruit flavors take a backseat here, but are still noticeable, with plenty of tropical flavor to go around. One thing that stood out was the absence of citrus flavors - there isn't really any tartness or acidity, and for being a 100+ IBU beer I'd expect a tiny bit. I'd rather have a lot more fruit flavors, but this is a solid flavor for sure.

Mouthfeel is full, dry at the finish, and crisp. It's a typical DIPA mouthfeel and it follows the formula well enough. Drinkability is harmed by the resin and pine flavors dominating the fruit, but everything is tasty anyways so I can't hate on this too much. Drake's is a quality brewery, I just wish their bomber IPAs would have more fruit like their 12oz offerings.

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

taste- sweet hops, grapefruit, big malty backbone, strong bitter hop component, grainy

color- light amber

clarity- clear

smell- sweet hops jump from the glass, citrus fruit, bubblegum

body- hoppy bite throughout the drink with an astringency at the front of the mouth, medium-weight on the palate, dry oily finish

appearance- finger and a half foamy slightly off-white head, active carbonation in the glass, head disipates pretty quickly after the pour...nice lace retention

overall impression- better than good beer, that's true to the style. aroma is pretty straightforward, sweet...i will say there is no characteristic sulfur smell that sometimes accompanies the higher alcohol doubles. the taste is overwhelmingly bitter but still enjoyable and drinkable. hopheads will seek this out and rejoice i'm sure...this is a strong one that goes straight to the head so beware

notes and comments- american two-row malt and english pale malt are combined with vienna, rye & crystal malts, then balanced with german magnum, simcoe and chinook hops. dry hopped with additional simcoe and chinook

beer spy- monument wines and spirits, concord ca, march 2011, $6.99, 22oz

glassware: pint

A: Pours amber with a medium frothy white head, good lace and retention.

S: Really pretty. Reminds me of Pliny with a heavy resin piney nose with just a touch of citrus, hard to put into words, but I know it when I smell it, beautiful.

T: Has a fairly big malt component especially for CA, but it is constrained within the hop character. Huge pine and grapefruit mix, delicious.

M: Medium to full-bodied, resin filled with a long aftertaste.

D: Outstanding Double IPA, one of the best beers I've had in a while.

2.09/5  rDev -49%

650 ml bottle. Pours a clear amber with a small white head that leaves close to no lacing. Aroma is pine with some floral and citrus notes. Smells really sweet too. Not very pleasant. The taste is really sweet. Way too sweet with the sugar overpowering everything. Some of the pine comes through as well as the citrus, but an overwhelming sweetness throughout. A decent bitterness on the finish as well as a bit of alcohol heat. Medium body, but really syrupy. Light carbonation. This beer was not enjoyable. I struggled to finish my couple of ounces from the bottle. I'm pretty sure it was not a bad bottle since I've had it on draft before and remember having similar opinions.

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%

Pint glass at Hopyard San Ramon. From notes 03/18/10

The small whitish head is retained fairly well considering they actively try to pour all the way to the brim at this establishment. Body is a clean orange amber.

Big messy blast of citrus aroma backed with some great pine notes. Everything one would look for in a DIPA from the West Coast.

Citrus notes continue in a sweet orange slice kind of way but this is a fair share more bitter than I expected. This really works well with the pine needle flavor and relatively dry finish. I'm really not sure I could ask for more from this beer in the flavor department.

Mid bodied with moderate delicate carbonation. Highly drinkable for the listed ABV but wouldn't have more than the two I tried today. This is overall an excellent DIPA. I really hope to see this beer around more often.

3.53/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Nice white fluffy head of about 3 fingers. Beer is a medium caramel color with great clarity. Nice lacing is present.

S: Great citric aromas. Hops come out really floral. It's a very inviting nose. Malts come out as a caramel breadiness. The alcohol is actually surprisingly present.

T: The taste comes out better than the nose. Hops are of course incredibly present. They come out really citric and actually fairly peppery. Malts are nicely caramel but not quite strong enough. The hops and alcohol really overpower the backbone of this beer.

M: Huge, tight carbonation and medium body. Very astringent. Surprisingly this was probably my favorite aspect.

O : I'm actually fairly disappointed with this beer. From what I heard I expected it to be better balanced. To my palate it tasted too one sided.

4.59/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just tried this one for the first time and was blown away. Easily one of the most tasty, drinkable DIPA's I have ever had. Can't wait to try the triple which I also was fortunate enough to obtain

3.8/5  rDev -7.3%

pours golden with a small white head that has decent retention. not leaving much lacing

a nice piney aroma with caramel malts, and its hoppy

sweet and fruity up front and fades to a bitter piney

light bodied and high carbonation, dry mouth

overall its a nice and well balanced IPA. I enjoyed both the piney and sweet/fruity characteristics in it

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance is a clear copper with a thin beige lacing on the top.

Smells like tangerines and oranges.

Taste is sweet and fruity with a minor metallic bitterness at the end. Pretty malt driven.

Mouthfeel is light to medium with pleasant carbonation.

Excellent

4.18/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thank you to AlexS for this 22 oz. bottle. Beer poured a mildly cloudy copper/amber with little head, scarcely a finger, which dissipates fast. Nose was dominated by citrus (grapefruit and pineapple) but also pine and some grassy notes. Caramel malts balance this well and there is little alcohol burn, especially for this big of a beer. The mild bitterness up front does not overpower what else goes on with this and does not linger after. The texture is medium and as well as the carbonation.
All-in-all, this is a very nicely balanced DIPA that I absolutely recommend and wish I had more access to. Try it, if you can!

4.1/5  rDev 0%

A: Deep orange with amber hues in the center, 1/2 finger carbonation, moderate lacing, a bit darker than most double ipas, but a bit cloudier

S: bright aggressive hop profile, cirtusy and bitter to the nose. Not quite overbearing in the juniper/herbal notes.

T: very balances hop profile, not overbearing, not entirely cirtusy either, very light with a quick bitter finish, a profile that transfers from lemon to grassy, without a long standing lingering hop profile.

M: The mouthfeel is exactly where it should be for the style, light finish with a biscuity middle to it that lingers for a bit, doesnt overcoat the mouth so that you welcome the next sip, almost to the point of drinking it too fast. I prefer this to the Denoginnizer Imperial because I feel like I can drink this without so much of a traumatic profile.

D: I dont usually throw this around, but its an incredibly drinkable beer, it feels like a bolder pale ale simply due to its trojan horse character that sends 9% abv and aggressive fast moving hops right into the Troy of your mouth. I am certainly able to drink well beyond the 22oz bottle. It's an even more dangerous candidate given the relatively afforable price. Good luck finding a series of bottles to support that endeavor. I enjoy this beer but in LA its not too simple to find large

4.47/5  rDev +9%

so... i had a pliny tonight, for the first time in awhile, and now i am keeping the hop train running with this offering from drakes. my 1st impression is of the similarity between this brew and pliny and i would throw Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas into this discussion.

in light of these first impressions, i will review this beer against pliny. Hopocalypse is not quite as dry, the color is lighter and clearer, carbonation is slightly better, (maybe this was a fresher bottle), rich mouthfeel, sightly less grapefruit and a little more pine on the nose, but this is fruitier tasting than pliny.... this is a REALLY GOOD West Coast IPA.

at 9.3ABV, this is WAY over the top... they claim 100+ IBUs... (but i think ibu's should work more like a richter scale, the "IBU" system is out-dated.) if you like this sort of Hop Character beer and bitterness, this is NOT a bitter bomb. it is what it says it is -- a super hoppy, high abv, bitter DOUBLE IPA.

and you have to give DRAKES many props for being honest and revealing some of the recipe secrets on the label. RR is extremely reticent in this regard. DRAKES USES: a mix of American and English 2-Row Malt, in addition, they add Vienna, Rye and Crystal for moutfeel and color, then add German Magnum, Citra and Chinook hops, and THEN dry-hop with more of the same PLUS some Columbus.

INFO FOR FREE> i like breweries that tell you what they are up to -- it is like OPEN SOURCE v. SECRET RECIPE. i prefer open source.

::stands and applauds DRAKES BREWERY::

(as an aside -- i love the label! whoever is desinging denogginizer and this brew -- nice job!)

Bought @ Whole Foods, Venice. In the back. Around $8.
Color is copper, large foamy head. Candy like sweetness, like a caramel candy. Orange lollipop. Tropical fruit: mango, pineapple. Body is medium. Finishes surprisingly clean. Overall, not bad. A tad too sweet for my liking, but perhaps good to share a bottle with a couple friends.

Drake's Hopocalypse from Drake's Brewing Co.