Aroma Coma - Drake's Brewing Co.

Aroma ComaAroma Coma

Drake's Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: sessycuban on 08-08-2009

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

Peachy-caramel color with a frothy eggshell colored head with good retention and pretty good lacing.

Brilliant nose which actually smells pretty similar to Citra DIPA (my favorite DIPA). Beautiful mild citrus, pineapple and sweet floral hop notes with a nice mildly sweet maltiness.

Flavor is just exceptional as well with fantastic balance. Again like the nose there is an excellent hop character with wonderful floral, light pine and citrus, pineapple, peach and mango notes and a perfect malt balance.

Mouthfeel is light, fresh and fairly crisp and lively with med-high carbonation.

Overall I was blown away by this random pick up. This is now my favorite IPA just beating out Just Outstanding IPA. This has amazing hops character through and through and deserves to be ranked and hyped up there with RR, Alpine and Kerns big IPAs. I absolutely recommend picking up one of these. (890 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

I really love this beer. It was made for me.
Looks a lighter brown and is not too dark.
The smell is the strongest smell I have ever had from a beer, which is entirely fruity hop smell.
Tastes like it smells although the malt bill does not balance the hop flavor it provides a little kick to it at the end. Somewhat grainy.
I just love everything about this beer. These guys did an awesome job. I almost thought this was too fruity, I couldn't believe that they didn't add any actual fruit to this beer. But I just loved the flavor. While Pliny is piney, this is comparable but fruity. Just as drinkable but obviously Pliny has a higher alcohol content and maintains that smoothness.

Almost my favorite beer, awesome!!!! A different IPA. (740 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

This is a respondent golden clear color with a tight foam cap. I am in awe of the incredible aroma. Tropical fruit! Guava! Some mango! The aroma is just amazing… If this put me in a coma I would be a happy man in my somnolence.

The beer has a pleasing bitterness to it which reveals notes of tropical fruit flavors. At least to the extend that an IPA will taste like tropical fruits. Think light, delicate, lightly bodied with enough heft to support it. Some light resin and a ton of fruity aromatic deliciousness followed by a dry finish. I felt like this beer was absolutely delicious. Loved every sip.

Bravo, Drakes! (624 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +16%

Pale copper, clear as a bell, frothy 2 finger off white head, sticky lacing all around the Lawson's tulip.

Aroma is hop forward but with an underlying whiff of maltiness that has me wondering if it will carry over into the flavor with that all too common blast of diacetyl, which is unfortunately a characteristic of so many IPAs.

Taste crushes any allusions created by the aroma that this may be another malt bomb. Flavors are abound with incredible citrus notes. Mango,pineapple,and nectarine flavors wash over your palate. Aroma Coma is easily one of the best tasting IPAs I've tried, just incredible really.

Mouthfeel is light to medium and creamy as all heck, reminding me of Mad Fox Orange Whip in the creamy smooth texture and seductive aftertaste departments.

Get this one in your mouth if you love hops, it is one fabulous IPA. Props to Drake's for this amazing offering. (884 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +16%

Haven't reviewed in a long time, but Drake's has managed to get me back on here with a beer for the ages.

Appears dull gold, hazy and orange. Head is white and foamy, fluffy and light. Retains well and doesn't lose its pure white color for a while. Color could be brighter, but no big complaints.

Aroma lives up to the name of the beer - I have never smelled an IPA better than this one. Mandarin orange, sour grapefruit, lemon zest, a touch of basil and mint, with a caramel sweet backbone, this beer is exhilarating to smell. Hint of weediness on first sniff that dissolves into the fruit. Brilliant.

Taste follows with enormous citrus flavor, a touch of dull soft hoppy bitterness and a tempered malty ending that is enhanced by the dryness of the hop character. Minty citrus keeps going and going and going, and the Caramalt does a good job of smoothly transitioning the citrus to the dry end. Ridiculously smooth and easy. For the style I can think of nothing better...there are beers with stronger flavors or more unique flavors, but none I can think of that meld everything together better than this.

Crisp without being overly dry, juicy without being sticky, this beer is a perfect IPA. Single IPAs are probably my favorite style these days just for their mouthfeel, and this beer reminds me why with a perfect feel to go with its phenomenal aroma. Drinkability is unmatched by just about any other single IPA I've had, and only blind pig really comes close. Simple sensational beer from Drake's and I'm elated that they are bottling this at all. (1,559 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

If you like fresh, sticky hops; stick your face in this.

After making a somewhat painstaking trip to find Drake's Brewing Co because of our Uber driver, we got in and tried a few beers. Well, the missus tried a few beers. I remember having and enjoying this beer a lot, so I just jumped right in. It was a good call.

Get this while you can and send me some! (360 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

A- Nice cloudy copper to orange, depending on the lighting. Very nice head looks like an idyllic IPA.

S- Blind Pig! Citrus and herbal bomb!

T- WOW! Explosive grapefruit, blood orange, mango and tropical fruits. Incredible.

M- Great carbonation, enough malt to balance.

O- This really should be Drake's IPA. Unreal. Had this on draft, too. This needs to be a year round release, please!! (390 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap @ Monk's Kettle.

A - Pale hazy orange colour with a thin layer of white head.

S - Beautiful tropical fruit and pine. Fresh and juicy. Light honey sweetness in the background.

T- Good bitterness with pine, grapefruit, peach, mango. Flavours are very fresh and juicy.

M - Light to medium body. Sticky and oily. Light carbonation. (341 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +12.4%

One of the best smelling beers ever. My favorite IPA of the moment and maybe ever come to think of it. It won a taste test of IPA's my girlfriend and I conducted. It defeated most notably Russian Rivers Blind Pig. Huge aroma of pine, taste the same, great drinkability. Just a stupendous IPA. Seek it out. (305 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

IMO, the best smelling beer. A ridiculous amount of hops and citrus bombarding your nose. I'll say it one more time- the best smelling beer ever.

It tasted pretty good too :)

Can't wait to get another, I'll be ordering some online since they are extinct in my city! And just 3 hours from the brewery, go figure. (313 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

A- Straw with lasting head.
S- Definite aroma which is fruit, very pleasant.
T- Mild fruit and only slightly bitter, very pleasant. Nothing overpowering.
M- Lasting carbonation.
O- A wonderful warm weather treat. (212 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer smells delicious and very hoppy just like hop stoopid. Very hoppy initial taste. It's kind of like hop stoopid but lighter just like sculpin. Little to no malts, just how I like it (190 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Draft at Gourmet Haus Staudt. Golden amber with slight haze, topped by a big fluffy white head.

A huge hop aroma on this one. Really nice juicy ripe tropical fruit aromatics. Pineapple and mango, along with a great floral undertone and a slight grainy malt profile.

Great on the palate, too. Drier than it smells, with a huge hop flavor but relatively little bite. Pineapple, grapefruit and peach come to mind. There's a mild grainy malt character, little sweetness. The finish exhibits mild bitterness and lingering tropical fruit flavors. Pretty fantastic stuff, really a top notch IPA. (590 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

When they named this Aroma Coma, they weren't playing around. The nose on this thing is incredible. But as far as the beer goes, it really is bringing it. I just had another Pliny several days ago, and I have to say that this reminds me of it quite a bit. That mature floral and oh-so mildly citric tones. Comparison to other beers aside, this is quite the tasty brew. It's my first one of the night and I am just blowing through the damn thing with little left and more notes needed to finish this review. Bottom line: this beer is pretty awesome. I just killed my bomber and I'm definitely wishing there were more. (616 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%

I got this gem in a trade from eyebereej, thanks Reja. I am only the 5th person to review this beer from outside CA and the first on the east coast. I feel honored.

A: A golden orange color with some haze to it. Two fingers of white head leaves tons of sticky lacing.

S: Wow, I was not expecting this. Tons of tropical fruit just jumps out. Mango, peach, pineapple, grapefruit, everything. Some sweetness comes out too.

T: Again the tropical fruit comes out in force. Huge tropical flavors with mango, grapefruit, pineapple, peach and some lemon mix with some slight sweet caramel malt. This is not sweet by any means, just super hoppy delicousness. Finish shows some slight pine notes that has some bitterness. Drying at the very end.

M: Smooth, full of flavor, slightly bitter, nice carbonation and no alcohol. Awesome.

O: What a fantastic example of a west coast IPA. One of the most tropical tasting IPAs i've ever had. Excellent!

If this beer were more readily available, people would be breaking down doors to get it, I truly feel that way. A great, great beer that I feel truly lucky to have tried. Thanks again Reja, it was awesome! (1,147 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

A- nicely colored IPA. Pretty light amber with a thick two finger white head that left a perfect ring around the glass.

S- light citrus fruits and hops.

T- wow!!! Super fruity and citrusy. Very nice hop flavor with sweet malts in the back. A lot of mango and passion fruit up front. Quite possibly one of the best IPAs I've had.

M- light on the tongue without a lot of residue. I'd like a little more carbonation.

O- amazing IPA! I'm a hop lover and this beer will stay on my shelf, if I can find it again. (511 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Was very excited to get my hands on this.

Got two bottles gave one away as an extra.

Smell- No joke and I hope the name is not persuading me this is one of the, if not the best smelling IPA I've ever tried. Smells like 35 tropical fruits that made love to a bag of mixed hops.

Taste- reminds me of palate wrecker. Not a whole lot of tropical flavors like a Sculpin even though the smell had me going there. It is pretty much perfect for an IPA. Little citrus orange nice hops, and lots of them.

I hope this becomes seasonal. Really digging this one. (554 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +8.9%

2012 Review:

A - Light copper color, nice sudzy head w/ thick lace, lazy carbonation

S - Citrus, pine, resin, dank, Very nice layering of hop characters without too much emphasis on any one.

T - Of course the taste is completely dominated by hop character. At first I was a bit turned off by a grassy/vegetal weed-like flavor that distracted from the rest of the profile. However as the beer warmed this seemed to fall off and I was left with a sweeter, more fruity taste that brought a smile to my face with every sip

M - It's slightly sticky, perhaps due to huge amount of hop oil, but its sufficiently attenuated to feel dry and refreshing.

D - Perfect for the hop-obsessed. Tastes like a DIPA but low enough alcohol to drink a lot. Gassy character almost stopped me in my tracks but it became amazingly drinkable after warming up.

2011 Review:

Over-the-top hoppy aromatics, very clean, and easy to drink. Nice head retention as well when you swirl it back up. Perfect canvass for the hops. Dispenses with the notion of "balance"--It's a DIPA without the alcohol kick and sweetness. IPAs with this level of hoppy run the risk of being vegetal, grassy, thin... but this is just perfect. IPA from Jesus. Yes. (1,216 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I picked this up the other day at my wife's work.

Appearance- copper color, nice size head, nice lacing

Smell- citrus, piney hops, wonderful

Taste- citrus, piney hops, very good

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought it was wonderful! Very good! Love the hop flavors! (282 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The beer comes in a golden bright color with a fluffy white head.

The aroma is huge of citrus orange and grapefruit with a bit of pale malt character. A bit of resinous pine.

The flavor follows with a light body that emphasizes tons and tons of endless hops along with orange and grapefruit. There's some pine on the finish. It drinks really easily with some bitterness that lingers on the end.

I was pleasantly surprised by this hop bomb of a beer. It does not stop with how hoppy it is and can stand up with Russian River and the VT hop bombs. (548 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber poured into a snifter. My first offering from Drake's, and I've heard good things.

A- Light and clear orange color with a finger's worth of head that fades fairly quickly, leaving alot of stickiness along the sides of the glass.

S- The name does not lie; as soon as I popped the cap, the hop aroma hit me. Very citrusey in the aroma, with orange, mango, and grapefruit shining through. I also get some overall floral notes as well. Great smelling beer.

T- The taste lives up to the smell also. Initially I get some piney resin hop bitterness, then a slight hint of a malty backbone. The citrus most noted in the smell is not nearly as apparent in the taste.

M- Light bodied, easy drinker, nice carbonation. A very hoppy yet balanced beer. The alcohol is not noted.

This is a great beer, classic West-Coast. Too bad Drake's doesn't distribute here in Illinois. (877 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

8/20/2011

Growler shared by Arthur Pendragon at Clusterfork #7 and poured into a snifter. Thanks!

A: Hazed dark golden orange with a big frothy beige head. Great retention and scattered lacing.

S: The beer is bursting with hop character. This was aptly named. Peach, mango, orange, grapefruit, and tangerine explode from the glass. Malt is very faint, imparting no evident character. Pine is also faint.

T: A cornucopia of fruit greets my palate: orange, mango, peach,  and tangerine. The beer is dry, with a pleasant moderate bitterness. Malt imparts a bit of saltine cracker but mostly stays out of the way. There's a suggestion of onion.

M: Lower medium body with high carbonation. Mouthfeel is dry and crisp.

Overall: An excellent IPA. Drake's is making some killer hoppy stuff these days. Highly drinkable and highly recommended. (841 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

Huge thanks to leschkie for this bottle.

A: Pours a wonderful golden color. There is hues of orange and pink in this beer as well. This beer has a nice 1 finger of bone white head that quickly settles into a thin white ring along the boundaries of the glass. There is very little lacing as it drinks.

S: This beer smells mainly of grapefruit and tropical fruits. Repeat: Huge grapefruit up front with the tropical fruits in the background. It's really pleasant.

T: Starts off sweet and juicy, with notes of mango, peach, and passion-fruit. This beautiful blend eventually fades as the bitter citrus notes begin to take over. But even at the peak of its bitterness, there is never an overpowering flavor.

M: Medium bodied beer. Some lingering bitters, but nothing outrageous.

O: This beer is fantastic. If this was available in my area, I'd be buying it all the time. (871 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

The proverbial shit has hit the fan. This son of a gun is smoother than Humprey Bogart in "The Maltese Falcon" and juicer than Jack Laline's diet. No, really, this ain't Raul just spitting the thang; the dang sucker is off-the-hook! So light, so juicy, so nice...

Get some, my children. (287 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Big thanks to Slaphappysnark for bonusing this out to me.

Poured into my Founders snifter.

I have no expectations here. Wasn't even a blip on my radar. Here goes. Bright orange backlit against my lamp. Full finger of frothy off white head. Inviting to say the least. Huge cotton candy sweet citrus nose. Taste is orange peel.. Bubbles explode on the tongue. Hop bite. Leaves a slight oily feeling. Sweetness mildly creeps in then finishes bitter, but in an outstanding way.

Wow. This is a good an IPA I've had in awhile. Seek it out. (536 characters)

Aroma Coma from Drake's Brewing Co.