Aroma Coma - Drake's Brewing Co.

Aroma ComaAroma Coma

Drake's Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: sessycuban on 08-08-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aroma Coma Alström Bros
1.25/5  rDev -70.6%

user785335, Nov 26, 2013

Thorpe429, Jan 17, 2013

anteater, Oct 02, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -22.8%

Consumed August 1st, 2013 in a Samuel Adams "perfect pint" glass.

Beer pours a hazy lightish yellow; looks more like a dark hefeweizen than a proper IPA. A two finger off-white (bordering on light yellow) head forms but lacks staying power. It does leave behind some spotty but adequate lacing. Despite nucleation point in the bottom of my glass, very few active bubbles.

Aroma is tropical fruits, mainly: pineapple, mango, tangerine. A slight grassy note.

Flavor is slightly sweet and a little rougher than expected; the caramel malt is hard to taste as there is tingly, almost burning bitter astringency that settles in on the middle of the tongue almost right away. Fruity hops as in nose fade up fast after this, leading to a primarily bitter and fairly long-lasting finish. Aspirin-style bitterness persists insistently on the tongue long after each sip. A mixed bag.

Mouthfeel is thicker and more astringent than expected, though not outside the style guidelines.

Pretty much a bitter hop bomb, I find the best part of this beer to be the smell.

Interestingly, I had it on draft about a week earlier and I don't remember disliking it then. Oh, well... too bad BA doesn't let us review beers twice any more or I'd write up that review, which I have notes for.

charlzm, Aug 02, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -22.8%

A Pours a Golden amber, rather clear with a nice healthy head. Nice lacing.

S Citrus, some peach, slight pineapple. Some sweet malt coming through. Not as aromatic as I was anticipating in regards to the name.

T Not as sweet as the nose but a nice touch. Goes down really smooth initially and then the bitter hops kick in towards the end. Bitterness lingers for a while. Lots of grapefruit. Dry finish. Not a very well balanced beer. Not enjoying it so much that I wish I had more.

M Medium body with tons of carbonation. Maybe a bit too much. It's a crisp beer.

O Nothing to write home about. Probably would not seek it out again, but I'm glad I tried it.

mikul93, Sep 08, 2011
3.29/5  rDev -22.6%

My current score reflects my second review, not the first (old bottle).

6.75% ABV according to my bottle. I dig the label on this one. It's got an '80s graffiti vibe to it. 75 IBUs. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are moderately high given its current ratings; I hope I'll love it but Drake's tends to underwhelm me. I've learned recently that I like my IPAs amarillo-centric, and this doesn't seem to fit the bill.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger beige colour head of nice cream and thickness, and good retention for the above-average ABV. Body colour is a transparent pale translucent copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Appropriate for the style, but there's nothing special or unique about it.

Sm: Floral bittering hop character. Caramelized malt. Some oily hop notes. Tangerine (from the Citra, no doubt). Stilted fruit. A bland murky aroma, average in strength. I'm not taking to it too kindly. Nugget hops. I don't see anything special about this aroma. Is the name meant to be ironic?

T: Clean caramelized malt body with bland floral hops atop. Some muddled tangerine throughout. Hop bitterness just after the climax. Lightly oily. Fermented murky pineapple. I suppose tangerine is dominant. Finish is a mess of bitterness and stale dying malts.
Built alright, but very underwhelming for the style. No pine, no grapefruit, no real oil commitment, no bright citrus, no pleasant floral quality. Just a bland mess. Meh. The bitterness is way too evident here, destroying the balance.

Mf: Wet and somewhat coarse from the hops. Coarsens and gets a bit more dry towards the climax. Suits the flavours only generally. Carbonation is a touch high. It's a bit too thick for its lack of flavour.

Dr: Did I get an old bottle? This is pretty mundane. Hides its ABV well and would pair well with spicy food, but this is just boring. Far overrated on this site currently. I don't see what the fuss is about. Another forgettable IPA that's rated highly. Drinkable. Overpriced. Drake's continues to underwhelm. Poorly chosen hops.

High D+

----
Revisiting this beer on 07/31/2013 as I suspect my prior review was an old bottle. Notes are truncated due to BA's word limit. 6.75%. 2013 bottle. $6.99. Served into flared stem-snifter in Los Feliz.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger whtie colour head. Nice creaminess and thickness. No lacing. Pretty good (~4 minute) retention.

Body colour is a clear copper of average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Translucent.

Sm: Dank resinous piney hops. Notable citrus - primarily grpaefruit with some mango. Oily and nectary hop character. Far better than I remember this being the first time I reviewed it. Pale malts. A fresh assertive hop-emphatic aroma of moderate strength. No alcohol or yeast is detectable.

T: Quite hop emphatic, with grapefruit and pine fighting for dominance. Also some floral, light oily, and very light nectary hop content. A biteen too tropical, with the mango and perhaps passionfruit distracting from the core hop build. Clean pale malt body. Not as complex or balanced as the best beers in the style, but pleasant nonetheless. No yeast or alcohol comes through. Zero subtlety; it's all played to the surface here. But it's got some flavour. Average flavour duration and intensity. Below average depth of flavour; it's a shallow beer. Pretty good amplitude.

Mf: Smooth, oily, and wet, with some biting lightly coarse patches. Crisp. No tannins. Overcarbonated. Decent presence on the palate, but it doesn't come off custom-tailored to the flavour profile.

Dr: I'll easily kill this bomber alone, but by no means is it a great beer in the style. It's a drinkable, enjoyable IPA, and I might get it again, but it can't throw down with something like Sculpin, for example. Wouldn't recommend it to friends. Decent value for the price.

Low B-

kojevergas, Nov 16, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -21.2%

Wow, what a let down!
Between the hype and the price point, I expected way better.
Looked great poured into a tulip glass.
Aroma was really good (not great) and like Jenna Haze, gave great head.
Other than that... What a waste.
Lacked flavor and aftertaste, which for me is big.
Maybe my palete is shit after all the DIPA and TIPA's I've had of late, but other than the other bomber I have, that's it. I'll take a fresh sixer of Torpedo for a buck more.

SanFranJake, Jul 12, 2013
3.35/5  rDev -21.2%

Sampled at the 12th Anniversary IPA Festival at the Bistro in Hayward.

A - The beer pours a deep amber color. One inch of head, good lacing. Pretty standard.

S - This one is all C's; chinook, columbus, and cascade. Not unlike Drake's IPA.

T - The beer is all chinook; plenty of citrus, aromatic, but with a bitter aftertaste. Malty backbone, but you don't get it until the end.

M - Medium bodied with a mildly viscous lacing.

D - Very tasty, but it's really a festival beer. Not much unlike Drake's IPA; the only difference, really, is the whirlpool chiller.

sessycuban, Aug 08, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -18.8%

22 oz bottle, thanks Richard.

Pours a hazy golden amber with a quickly dissipating white head. Aroma is CTZ hops, resiny and bitter, with a strong biscuit malt presence. Grainy, bitter flavor, resiny hops throughout, mild citrus sweetness in the finish, but a strong malt body balances out the bitterness. Medium thick, light carbonation, and a dry, leafy finish. Extremely forgettable, an adequate local IPA. I'm going to assume this falls off really fast or something?

yourefragile, Sep 08, 2012

PG2G, Jul 26, 2014

HopsintheSack, Aug 08, 2013

seeswo, Nov 29, 2011

dominic4beer, Jul 23, 2014
Aroma Coma from Drake's Brewing Co.