Hopocalypse Black Label - Drake's Brewing Co.

Hopocalypse Black LabelHopocalypse Black Label

Drake's Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: KevSal on 02-04-2012

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hopocalypse Black Label
Drakes brewing
Triple IPA
12.5% ABV

APPEARANCE: Poured a dark over ripe nectarine color, subtle but bright light honey colored variations throughout. Big fluffy loosely bubbled 2 finger head that dissipated slowly leaving a nice spotted lacing on the glass. Really enjoy the color of this beer!

AROMA: Smells like I'm cutting fresh fruit for a tropical salad. Mango, papaya and pineapple. Lemon zest and a nice malty sweetness. Very I pressed with the nose on this considering it's a more then a few months old. Juicy and wet aroma not much of a hop present. Possibly slight pine resin but that also could because I know what drinking and what I should be looking for.

TASTE: Wow! This tastes amazing. Like a party in my mouth and tropical fruit was invited. So much mango, nectarine candied pineapple but not overwhelming at all. Nice squeeze of fresh lemon comes in and I'm actually picking up some nice muted hops that work really well. I am getting some honey sweet malty goodness coming through I'm assuming more now then would be if fresh. Slight bitterness on the end that really pulls the flavor profile together.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium plus body and a lazy low carbonation that just kinda pops and tingles slightly. Light oil slickness with a great bitter warm finish from the high ABV.

OVERALL: I was very impressed with this triple for such a high ABV it was very drinkable for me. I enjoyed every last drop! Would love to have had this fresh to compare. It did drink a bit more like a barley wine almost like an aged hopslam. I would for sure search this out either fresh or with age on it any day!

RATING: 4.8/5 Zombie Heads!

4.73/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Ah, the elusive black label Hopocalypse.
Piney, bitter, intense with a candied orange sweetness. Finishes dry and sweet, which makes it immensely drinkable. Warms up well. Watch out for the kick from the ABV!

4.71/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Hop Bomb!!! On tap at release 1/31/15, its a yearly thang.
Looks a lil dark for my taste but the hop resin is visible thru plastic cup and has a nice thick 1inch head!
Smells really great orange/tropical some pinecreepibg out but I think its just a pleasant overload to my senses:)
Really big taste, this isn't smooth & trying to hide alc/flavor, if you dont like big Dank in your face try somethi else!
Nice to drink, could probably slam 2pints if I wasnt driving.
Great job by Drakes, I always look forward to their Big IPA's, this really is Big!

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I could have sworn I had reviewed this before since I have consumed a few in my past...guess not. Had it on tap but this review is from the bottle. Picked up yesterday 2/1/14 from the brewery release.

Pours a nice clear orangy/amber colored ale with a off-white foamy head that dissolves a little quickly but leaves a ring to keep me company. Maybe a touch of lacing....but not much.

The aroma was hitting me first with big blasts of pineapple. Huge. Reminds me of those small dole pineapple juice cans I used to drink. That slowly fades and then the citrus and pine notes are brought forth. Oranges and grapefruit offer sweet whiffs. The 12.5% booze is apparent in the background but very subtle. Just enough whiffs of malt to let me know it's not all hops. Outstanding.

The taste is almost tangerine/pineapple/and any citrus fruit rind tasting. Just big gulps of fruit blasts with a touch of tartness and a finish of bitterness and light heat. Excellent. These guys did a great job of placing 100+ IBUs in this and really keeping it relatively smooth. Almost no booze presence on the sips....but it definitely creeps up quickly, but not enough to keep me from finishing the bomber. There is just enough malt to keep it nicely balanced. It works.

Overall this was worth the 3 hour wait for only a two bottle allotment. Some say the green label is better...and so be it. I prefer this gem and though I only see it once a year and for a few hours, it is a reward worth seeking out and repeating. I had it on tap yesterday and I must say, for once, the bottle version bested the draft. Go figure.

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

On tap at Drake's barrel house - 10 oz. pour into Drake's tulip.

wow - I've been excited about trying this beer - really excited. here we go...

A: Pours a lighter amber with golden hues... half finger of head from the tap pour that fades into a nice ring around the glass... great lacing - sticky, thick, viscous lines spider-webbed all over the glass after a few swirls.

S: Hops! indeed. grapefruit rind, some light tropical fruit, piney resinous notes... not quite as intense as I expected - but really nice. Also picking up some doughy sweetness that tips the hand on the high ABV.

T: Wow - I am VERY impressed at the balance of this beer. Citrusy, slightly herbal hop flavors right alongside the strong malt backbone of this brew are both present from the get-go, and continue on. Spicy, doughy alcohol sweetness as it coats your mouth... but it's neither overwhelming, nor is the sweetness cloying - and I am still getting the hop character coming through... wow. Finishes slightly bitter with hints of sweetness and slight hop flavors remaining.

MF: Full, as one would expect for this weight... but not syrupy or overwhelming. Really liked the finish - some drying bitterness, but also a bit of sweetness to offset. again - balance.

O: What can I say - I loved this beer. Surpassed my expectations - and they were actually quite high. The balance and perseverance of the hop flavors throughout were impressive in the face of such an extreme ABV. Really loved the way the spicy sweet malt added flavor and complexity without overwhelming. They seem to be out of bombers... time to break out the growler and head back to the barrel house to enjoy this while it lasts.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

A - Pours a clear rich golden-orange color with a finger of frothy white head. The head fades down fairly slowly leaving behind some thick lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - Aroma is full of citrus and pine hops with grapefruit and orange and sweet caramel and biscuit malts with just a touch of alcohol.

T - Starts off with a big citrus and pine hop flavor with lots of grapefruit and bitterness with some sweet caramel malt in the background. Through the middle, more pine and grassy hops flavors come through with some more bitterness and some biscuit malt. The finish is a mix of sweet malts with some residual sugar sweetness, citrus hops, and just a touch of booze coming though.

M - Full bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sweet, bitter, and warming finish.

D - Very drinkable. Really nice Triple IPA. The hops are really strong and have a great complex flavor, but the body and malt of the beer keep up nicely.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bomber purchased at Drake's.

Clear pale orange appearance, fairly effervescent though it doesn't pour with a large head. Doesn't look terribly heavy for a 12.5% beast.

The aroma is pretty intoxicating, definitely alcoholic but in no way harsh or sharp. This is one instance where an IPA smells better from the bottle than the keg. It was slightly muted on tap, but the bottle has a huge nose. Peach, pineapple, grapefruit and guava backed by a lightly sugary malt backbone. It's impressive how rounded this smells for such a massive beer.

If the nose was good, the taste is even better. It's like fruit purée, with big pineapple and peach flavors up front, backed by lighter notes of papaya and mango. Moderately sweet and impressively light-bodied for its size, it's hard to believe that this is 12.5%. The finish exhibits a light resiny bitterness that's met by lingering notes of tropical fruit and alcohol.

When I think of DIPA this strong, I think sweet, heavy, borderline barleywine beers with substantial caramel malt backbones. That isn't the case here; it comes from the Younger school of deceptively drinkable and light-bodied yet massively alcoholic IPAs. While it isn't bone-dry, it isn't all that sweet either. Compared to, say, Hopslam, this is lighter in body, less sweet, but more aromatic and even a bit more drinkable. Pretty impressive stuff; Drake's has been killing it lately and this beer is no exception to that trend.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at the bottle release. This is their beefed up Hopocalypse, a triple ipa.

10 oz pour into drakes snifter, second pour out of a fresh keg

a- nice orange hue with a two inch head. Looks thick in the glass, like syrup, it's deceiving. I really like the way this one looks

s- good hop nose upfront with some nice malty sweetness after. Not the hop attack I was hoping for, and somewhat muted than the banquet I was hopin for. Still this one smells good. Lots of citrus and juicy fruit.

t- here's where it really pulls its weight! This guy tasty great! Nice hops upfront and in the after taste, nice maltiness throughout. Not as malty as I was expecting, less than denogenizer actually. Very good balance between hops and malt. No alch whatsoever, pretty outstanding

m-nice thick body that coats the tongue, I'm lovin it. I might need another.

o- nice execution on a triple ipa, it's got fantastic balance (for my taste buds). Does not do the name justice however if your looking to blow up with hops but this guys got great balance. Can't wait to see how it taste out of the bottle. Btw 2 bottle limit at the brewery (brewery only) right now, if your around it's definitely worth it.

Honestly it takes a lot of balls to release a triple ipa the same weekend as younger, and I have to say its pretty darn delicious. I rarely order the same thing twice let alone 3! Drakes has come quite a long way since i first tried them, and this one really shows what they're made of. Maybe next year along with younger days we'll see drakes black label days. (hopefully not so I'll still be able to enjoy this guy in peace next year lol.)

Bottle: opened one tonight unintentionally, the cap broke one me, so crap I guess I have to drink it lol. Split with the gf's dad. Fruity aroma filled the room with this one. Taste followed suit. Delicious. My gf's dad is a big bmc drinker (actually hates the hops) when we polished this one off he asked me "got anymore of that juicy big one?"

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Hopocalypse is probably my favorite triple IPA because of how drinkable it is.

Deep amber, great to look at - make you thirsty looking at it

Could have better nose but it's not outwardly friendly. Still smells fresh, hoppy as is

Black label wins in taste. Great balance for a triple at 12%. For me, a triple should be shooting for this balance rather than palette destruction

Wins in mouthfeel as well. That malt sticks with you in the right way and that intricate balance with the IBUs is just heavenly.

This is an outstanding beer and you should try it while it's available.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Acquired from a trade with WestCoastBrew2, thanks bro, hope you liked the Hopslam. This is 4 or 5 weeks fresh, 22 oz bottle poured into a Half Acre snifter.

A: A clear amber/orange body with a 1.5 finger off-white head with great retention and lacing.

S: Tropical fruits, strong mango and pineapple presence, citrus and orange, a little pine notes can be picked out as well. Smeet malts are also apparent.

T: Follows the nose quite well. Tasty tropical hops make this a very fruity beer. Not as syrupy as I expected. A lot of heat though throughout. Definitely warming on a cold day. Moderate bitterness. The aftertaste of hop resin and alcohol makes it hard to drink this quickly, although that's not necessarily a bad thing.

M: Full bodied. Sticky. Carbonation is spot on.

O: A beast of a beer. The TIPA style is hard to tackle, balancing a huge malt backbone with hops and hiding a huge ABV isn't easy. This is probably one of the better, if not best, attempts at the style. Definitely not a beer I'd have more than one of in a sitting. I haven't had the pleasure of Pliny the Younger, so a comparison would be interesting. Worth seeking out!

4.44/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours clear dark, dark orange with big two finger fluffy white head. Good lacing. Strong hops aroma with notes of pine, citrus and mango. Complex flavors of citrus fruit and fresh cut grass. Super malty and absolutely packed with hops. Little bit of heat. Big mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Slightly bitter finish. Very well balanced for a monster of a triple IPA. The end is beer alright...

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Bottle from largadeer, thanks! Snifter.

A: Pellucid orange with a substantial white sea foam head. Pretty good retention. It's lighter in color than I expected.

S: The aroma is deeply resinous and dank with herbal and floral notes. Citrus is vibrant, redolent of apricot, grapefruit, orange, and peach. Topical notes are present but faint. I detect a little honeydew melon. Malt is evident, imparting a little sugary bread and caramel.

T: Lower moderate sweetness with notes of caramel and bread. Grapefruit blends with orange, tangerine, and resinous pine. Tropical notes are restrained. Bitterness is at an upper moderate level but it's not harsh or astringent. There's a little sugary sweetness in the bitter citrus laden finish. Alcohol is surprisingly well hidden.

M: Upper side of medium body with medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is a little heavy, but that's not unexpected.

Overall: A beast of a beer but it hides the alcohol very well. Damn good. I can't think of another IPA of this size that I've enjoyed this much. It has a decent malt presence but it's really just a platform for the bright and expressive hops. Another hoppy winner from Drake's.

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had the DIPA white label two days ago, let's see how this one stacks up.

Bubbly thin head that recedes quickly into a single ring around the glass with flecks of head in the middle. That even disappears after a few more minutes. Very slick on the glass. Beer pours a deeply red amber with highlights of orange.

Citrus explodes all over the nose. I get lots of mango and pineapple with a hint of pine to back it up and then caramel malt behind that. Some orange. Very smooth on the nose...I recall the white label being a bit abrasive. Sweet citrus with almost no tartness. As it warms I get several hits of some serious booziness.

Taste is surprisingly sweet at first. The malt and sugar really comes out. Super dank hops show up on the mid palate. There's a stinging booziness to it. The finish is lingering hop bitterness and alcohol burn on top of the sweet malt backbone. The sugary sweetness kinda overwhelms the finish, not in a good way.

Mouthfeel is very syrupy. Hardly any carbonation. I prefer some pop from the carbonation in my big ipas, and this I find lacking.

Overall this is a very ambitious and impressive triple ipa. I'm finding it tough to score because it's so all over this place. Marking it down for the syrupy mouthfeel and sugary taste. Overall tho, an ipa with very dank characteristics that is very enjoyable. Glad I could get my paws on it.

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Ah, my first hoppy Drake's beer in what? 2 years? I hear they've hugely improved. Thank you, Chris!

Pouring a clear burnished copper with a dense, off-white head with excellent retention and lacing, this is a gorgeous DIPA. The nose is a pretty riotous explosion of hops. Fresh and snappy, there's dense layers of pine, grapefruit and plenty of tropical fruit. There's mango, guava juice, candied orange, overripe papayas, and behind it all, some alcohol. Juicy and fruity. Through it all, the 12.5% ABV _is_ well hidden. The malt character is a blend of caramel and a slight bready note (from the Vienna).

The palate opens rather bruisingly bitter, almost unexpectedly so, with aggressive pine, candied oranges, mango, honeydew melon and peach. Grapefruit pith is the most aggressive component here. Incredibly resiny, this has the oily consistency of pine sap, coating every inch of my palate in a way I haven't experienced before. Through it all, the mid-palate carries all the malt flavor, with a blend of caramel and Marris Otter malt flavor. The MO , in particular, adds a smoothness and fullness to the body without an increased sweetness in a very nice way. Oily and resiny on the finish, syrupy even, on the finish with an excellent blend of hop flavor and bitterness, the bitterness and fruity notes cling on to your palate with the intensity of climbers and their icepicks. I will say the carbonation is a little higher than I'd like, but I can't dock too many points simply because (IMO) this is a game changer for oily DIPAs. As for the alcohol, it is remarkably well hidden, even on the palate, despite the mild burn.

As this beer warms up, it tastes increasingly sweet. It's tragic, because this beer is rather fragile, and even in the best of conditions (sub freezing temps during transit cross country), the intensity appears to have fallen off, if release-day reviews of lighter bodies are to be believed (and I do). Scoring the overall impression of this beer is tough, because it does get fatiguing, but at the same time, it's unique. The high enough ABV ensures that your palate and your sobriety give out at about the same time, making this truly dangerous. Plus, this is the kind of beer that really needs to be brewed a keg at a time, not bottled and emptied in a day or two. Quite simply, a feat of brewing, and so hysterically over the top, the only beer I can honestly compare it to is White Knuckle circa 2008.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

22 oz bottle from the brewery. Pours a nice orange that is barely see through. The head dissipates really quickly and there is not a lot of lacing. The smell is sweet and citrusy. The taste is just like the smell with sweet malt and then lots of grapefruit and pineapple. The mouthfeel is thick with lots of hop resin and some booziness. Overall this is one of my favorite triple IPAs, a style I have a love/hate relationship with. Plus, the release party for this beer was a blast - highly recommended.

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

A: After being poured the head lasts for a few minutes before reducing back into the beer. The foam leaves almost no lacing as well. The Black label also has an orangish golden hue to it.

S: Lots of Candied citrus, lychee, apricot, and tangerine

T: Bursting with lots of candied citrus, tangerine, ginger, lychee, and apricot. It also has a little honey in the background as well.

M: Lightly carbonated, but with a rich mouthfeel.

O: This beer is fantastic! So much flavor and aroma, its hard to be that its 12% as well. This drinks like a flavorful sessionable beer. The one thing I really, really, enjoy with this beer is that you get a lot of sweet hoppiness, but it also has a nice malt background as well. For a 12% Triple IPA, this is pretty balanced. This has to be one of my favorite triple IPAs.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Really hope this becomes a yearly release along with Aroma Coma because this is my second and last bottle.

Pours a gold/light amber with a finger of tight head and oily lacing that disappears fairly quick.

Smell is cutting citrus - lemon oil, lime juice, grapefruit - that makes your mouth water before you drink it. A good amount of alcohol in the nose mixes with some herbal and piney hops with a bit of honey.

Hot damn, this is amazing. Tons of citric acid bitterness from lemon and grapefruit juice, balanced out by apricot and marmalade sweetness. The hops build up with every sip and mire complexities come into play, evidence of the huge hop schedule. Malt is hardly there other than a bit of sugars and the finish is unique, almost like a really sharp aged cheddar or hard cheese with some earthy and herbal qualities. Alcohol is definitely there but appropriate for the huge bitterness that linger long after the last drink.

Has great body, with a bit of creaminess that reminds me of English malts. Reminds me of the unfiltered Hopocalypse I had on a tour, substantial but not too sticky or heavy. The warming effect of the high ABV is actually well integrated and keeps it from being too overwhelming.

I'd have to say hat this is the best triple IPA I've had thus far; it pushes the hops to absurd levels in terms of flavor profiles and IBUs, and I hope this goes into yearly release because it's like liquid hop crack.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Originally had this on draft back in 2009, but didn't know the brewery at the time now I'm having this out of a bottle poured into my tulip.

Appearance: Pours a darker golden color with a red hue. Very nice sized fluffy head that eventually fades and leaves sticky thick lacing on the glass.

Smell: Floral hop aromas that leave grapefruit and piney resinous notes behind on the nose. There is some other fruits maybe tropical.

Taste: Citrus, piney herbal hop flavors folleed by a strong malt backbone. Alcohol sweetness coats your mouth, but it's never overwhelming, and very well balanced. Finishes slightly bitter with hints of sweetness and slight hop flavors remaining.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation that sits perfectly in the mouth. Very nice Imperial IPA that hides the alcohol well due to the balance.

Overall: Very nice well balanced Triple IPA that originally wowed me when I was first getting into IPA's, but now i feel that the beer does not live up to the name. Overall very nice and would definitely have again.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

22oz bottle. Huge thanks to Arbitrator for this unexpected treat!

The beer pours a deep coppery, orange color with four fingers of thick foam atop it. The head recedes slowly leaving sticky lacing and a thick coaster. The nose is loaded with citrus and floral hop aromas. Taste follows suit with big citrus flavors up front. Juicy orange, mango and passion fruit flavors give way to a wave of piney bitterness mid-palate. The malt lends sweet, bready characteristics on the back end. The finish is sweet, and bitter with just a hint of alcohol. The beer is full bodied, thick and viscous, with a low level of carbonation which imparts a creamy quality. This is a finely crafted brew from Drakes. Extremely tasty and drinkable. The 12.5% ABV is well masked by the mélange of hoppy, sweet flavors that make this a pleasure to drink. Drakes is fast becoming one of my favorite breweries

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to largadeer for sharing this Drake's offering. Served in a tulip.

A - Transparent bronze body. Nice finger-plus of off-white foam, thin cap, and splotchy lacework.

S - Tons of pungent, dank, and catty hops, pine, tangy citrus, lemon and underripe oranges. There's a hefty candied malt backbone to support the higher ABV, but thankfully only a hint of alcohol present.

T - Juicy, with tons of citrus, mild tropical notes, and a surprisingly rich and complex malt backdrop - sugar cookie, caramel, and biscuit. The choice of Maris Otter is quite interesting but is quite successful. Nice moderate bitterness in the finish and well-hidden alcohol.

M - Medium-full body, medium-low carbonation, super dry, resinous and oily, with a hint of alcohol warmth.

D - It's Younger-esque in some ways, but the malt complexity is a nice twist and makes me believe that this might actually develop into an enjoyable hoppy barleywine in the future - this is a definite style-straddler in the mold of Boneyard Notorious Triple IPA. Drake's is really coming on strong with their hoppy offerings. 22oz would be a lot for one person, but it'd be worth the hangover.

4.27/5  rDev 0%

Chilled bottle into a glass. From the release. Thanks to me for generously buying it for myself.

A: Pours a slightly hazy reddish-amber body with orange tint against the light. A vigorous pour yields a pinky finger of off-white head. Nice streaks of lace down the glass.

S: The aroma is billowing and embracing. I found the tap version a little muted, or perhaps that was the result of having it right after the cask Hopocalypse (greatness!). This one captures more delicate fruity aromas, with tropical notes of pineapple, papaya, peach, tangerine. It has a strong caramel presence that lends a candied note to the above fruits.

T: Tropical fruit flavors of pineapple, papaya, and mango are accentuated by an underlying sugar cookie and caramel sweetness. The mid-taste brings out subtler flavors of peach and tangerine; these are hitting all the points on my checklist of enjoyment. I absolutely love tropical citrus flavors in DIPAs. The aforementioned malt flavors dominate the finish, giving it a nearly syrupy, sugary burn that pulls into the aftertaste. A little resin / oiliness emerges after the sugar dissipates.

M: This is where the beer is a bit rough. Its sweetness leaves a residual sugar burn on the back end that mostly covers up the bitterness, though there is some lingering oiliness afterward. The mouthfeel is borderline syrupy, making it a bit tough to drink; it forced sipping. The coverup sugars are a telltale sign of this beer's gravity, but you don't taste much booze.

O: This being released the day after Pliny the Younger, in the same rough area, will raise the inevitable question: how does it compare? Well, it's no Younger. It's much sweeter, with a sugar burn on the back end (which complements the enamel-peeling bitterness quite well). The heaviness makes it less drinkable and forces sipping. It has its strengths, and I'm very glad that this is available locally (assuming they ever make it again), but in a side by side, I'll give the nod to Younger.

Drake's is really knocking them out of the park lately. Good job, guys.

4.26/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Again, big thanks to JLindros for sharing this bottle.

A - Poured into a palm tulip a glorious slightly hazy orange nectarine hue with a one finger white head that fades to leave a thin blanket and nice lacing.

S - Aromas of balanced sweet malts, pine, and orange peel. No booze, shockingly light..

T - Taste is well, disappointingly non assertive. Sure the sweet sticky malts and bitter hops (orange and pine) are there but everything is super balanced. Expected this to be more "in your face" but alas it was not.

M - Mouthfeel is nicely bitter with a sticky sweetness and syrup . Good lingering bitterness.

O - Overall I was underwhelmed by this beer. Was expecting much more bitter aggressive hops but alas, it did not deliver the goods.

4.26/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bottle.

Pours a very nice dark copper color with some slight amber hints. There is a nice 0.5 inch head that forms and there are some nice dense bubbles as well as some chunkier ones in there as well.

Tons of juicy mango and papaya comes up first with some nice citrus background to the aroma. A bit resinous and piney as well. The nose is a bit on the soft side.

The flavor is something else. Starts off with tons of sweet mango and papaya notes. Apricot as well and nice pineapple notes mixed in with some slight orange and grapefruit. Very tropical. This flavor stays through at varying degrees. There is also a very nice citrusy note that balances out the intense tropical notes and makes the brew a bit more drinkable with some nice resinous dank pine on the backend of this. A nice thick oily piney sweet taste at the back end can be perceived with a nice thick bitterness. The mouthfeel is nice and medium with some slight syrupy notes.

Pretty good brew with some nice intense hop notes and very tropical flavors. Interesting flavors. Probably the most mango and papaya flavored IPA I've ever had. The grassy spicy and piney pines also come up nicely. Great effort.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

On tap poured into a tulip at the release. Beer poured a dark clear orange with some thin white soapy head leaving some light lacing and a bit of alcohol legs. Many tiny bubbles floating slowly up throughout the beer.

Nose was nice, but a little muted for such a big beer. Tropical fruit hops, mango, pineapple, papaya, peach, some sweet orange peel along with some lighter floral aromas. Good amount of caramel malt on the nose as well. Just not as pungent as I thought it would be.

The tropical fruit are a bit stronger on the tongue, plenty of mango pineapple and peach, sweet orange flavors before the bitterness comes through with some citrus peel and floral hops. Nice caramel malt sweetness to complement the hop bittering. Finish is medium, with light tropical and citrus bitterness lingering lightly. Very juicy flavors.

Medium body and with a decent soft carbonation that really lightens it up. Surprisingly drinkable for such a high abv imperial IPA, smooth flavors with most of the alcohol hidden. Still would have liked the aroma to be a little stronger but otherwise an excellent beer.

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle pour at the pre-FWIBF bottle share held at the Adelaide Inn in Paso Robles, CA.

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy off-white head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus fruit, citrus zest, and slight tropical fruit aromas. Taste is much the same with sweet citrus zest and brown sugar flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer with really nice citrus forward hop characteristics all around.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Hopocalypse Black Label from Drake's Brewing Co.