Kalinda "Wild #1" Belgian Style Ale - Drake's Brewing Co.

Kalinda "Wild #1" Belgian Style AleKalinda "Wild #1" Belgian Style Ale

Drake's Brewing Co. visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.50% ABV

Aged in Single barrel Buffalo Trace barrels for 12 months at Drakes Brewing.

(Beer added by: DJButters on 12-17-2012)
Reviews by mikereaser:
4.31/5  rDev +3.1%

Another bottle from KevSal, consumed blind

Cork & cage 375, a really tough cork to remove.
A - Pours a sort of murky orangish brown with just a ring of bubbles around the glass
S - Nice funky aroma, vinoak, brett, it really smells good.
T - wow, nice taste, oak again, sour apples, tart but not mouth puckering, there is more going on there but I can't place it. Its starting to become more tart as it warms up.
M - Nice carbonation, medium bodied so it has some heft to back up the funk.
D - Very nice beer indeed. There is a lot going on in this beer and its very enjoyable. I don't have a guess as to what it could be. the bottle makes me think its russian river but not anything that i've had before so I'm guessing not. I guess i'll look and see

Drakes Brewing Kalinda Wild #1
Definitely off the radar for me. It says it was aged in a Buffalo Trace barrel for 12 months, so I bet that was the flavor I wasn't picking up but now that I know, I can definitely place it. It is a bit thicker than I expected when I poured it, but you still have no idea that this comes in at 10.5%

Thanks for a new brew KevSal. Well done!

mikereaser, Jul 13, 2013
4.43/5  rDev +6%

Note from KLWine - "Kalinda "Wild #1" Belgian Style Ale has been long in the making, and I don't think our patience could have been more rewarded. This beer was made for us at Drake's Brewing Company by Rodger Davis (when he was still in their employ) and is a Belgian Strong Ale hit with some wild yeast. Aged in the actual barrel that the first K&L Single Barrel Bourbon was aged in from Buffalo Trace for approximately 12 months, this is both wildly sour and somehow intensely rich. Funky aromas of dried hay, grapefruit, lemon verbena and wet earth should let you know instantly what you are getting yourself into. Tart and mouthwatering from the get-go, this beer is packed with sour and has plenty of bretty, yeasty flavors developing into a richer undercurrent of dried apricot and lemon curd. Plus there's an interesting vanilla richness from the bourbon barrel. There are only 20 cases of this beer, and then it will be gone."

Been waiting for some time on this one. Since I missed it on draft I had no way to judge, jumped in and bought the brew based upon my high regards for the brewer Rodger. Smell is the first thing I noticed, just amazing. Tropical fruits and begins to pucker the mouth for what is about to come. I cannot really place my palate on any notes of the bourbon barrel other than a mild vanilla note. It is very subtle and not overpowering again a supprise since this was in the barrel for so long. Waves of mango and a nice tartness linger, no lacto or bitterness... An effervescent and smooth 10.5% wild ale. Overall an excellent beer that surprised me of course is a one off and very limited. 20 cases? Come on man!

DJButters, Dec 17, 2012

leschkie, Feb 15, 2013
4.39/5  rDev +5%

Beer brewed by Drake's in a Lost Abbey/Russian River style small corked and caged bottle. This was available from K&L Wines through the Redwood City, California store and purchased in response to a special e-mail to the recipients of the "beer e-mail list." I've never seen it anywhere else. Has a very firm cork for a bottling of, I believe, December 2012.

Pours a medium pink "rose' " color with what seems like light orange tones. A hint of white bubbles that cannot be even close to calling a head fades very fast. Crystal clear with light champagne type bubbles.

Nose is very assertive "oaky, strawberry, brett funk." There is a sour and a funk tone, juxtaposed with some red berry fruit character. Great balance on the nose of funk, berry, fruit, sweet, citric.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with initially a bit of "flab" or dull tones. However, with some time in the glass the mouthfeel brightens significantly. Very light carbonation and a decent citric/sour wild funk balance, the beer is not as sour, acidic or "bright" as I personally would like. Yet, the more I taste it the more I want more! Moreover, the "sour" quality or tone increases with some time in the glass, as well.

Flavor profile is strawberry sour, red berry sour, hints of lemon/lime and hints of red wine grapes. (I get a light pinot noir, granache, light zinfandel tone). The flavors get better and better as you drink it and as it sits in the class for a bit. Very "sour 101" meaning it would be a decent sour for a novice of sours. Too bad it's not available; I think this would be a big hit, although some wild ale/sour afficionados might say it's a bit simple (and they would be correct). However, there is an undertone of whiskey that one might not recognize if one did not know that it was aged in whiskey barrels. The whiskey here is very refined and does not take over the beer whatsoever.

Decent effort; I'd drink again and with food.

GRG1313, Jun 04, 2013

dblab33, Jan 08, 2013

largadeer, Jan 29, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Had a lot of awesome beers last Wednesday at the eclipse party at GHS, tons of tasty brews including eclipse variations and vintages but this one stuck out the most, shared by djbutters, appreciate it man! Big thanks to Reja for this bottle!

375ml into a tulip, slight pop

A- very dark in color, deep dark orange in the glass, can't see through my glass. Slight bubbly white head with lots of carbonation. Looks like an extra bubbly dipa or Barleywine in color.

S- really enjoyable aroma, lots of layers on this guy. Upfront is lots of fruity sourness. Particularly amazed by the amount of tropical fruit. Apricot, Some pear, and a bit of citrus with some slight cherry. Underneath you'll find the funkiness (whbecame ones more aggresive as it warms, I love this in sours) followed by some oak. Overall very inviting

T- just as good as I remembered at the event! Surprisingly fruity upfront, big fruit. Fruity sourness (peach and pear) with a lot more bourbon barrel than the nose, but still in the background. The lingering taste it leaves in the mouth is quite impressive, makes me want to take another sip

M-mouthfeel is on the money. Great carbonation and a somewhat hefty body to it. Nice medium to thick body that works in its favor

O-very well executed. The time in the barrel seriously paid off. I was caught by surprise when I read the abv while I was drinking it. The drinkability is off the charts, I can drink this one all day long.

I had been keeping tabs with this one since its creation, it's great to see how well it turned out.
For the past few years Drakes been impressing me with their sours and this one is quite possible the best yet, i would consider this world class.
I wish there was much more of this guy out there for people to try. This is a good indication that drakes needs to start bottling some of these tasty sours up, I need more!

Oh kalinda I'll be dreaming of you tonight

KevSal, Dec 18, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

kdown, Aug 03, 2014

4DAloveofSTOUT, Jul 22, 2014
4.66/5  rDev +11.5%

Wild Belgian strong ale made by Drakes for K&L Wines.

Poured into a Lost Abbey tulip.

Body is hazy amber. Aggressive pour produced a small head that quickly turned into a thick ring, leaving some curtains of lace.

In the nose, green apples, peaches, green grass, toffee sugar, balsamic, bourbon.

Mouthwatering sour taste that is rich with layers of flavor. Tastes of sour apples, peaches, pinot noir grapes, balsamic, lemon peel, vanilla, some dank earthiness, and just a hint of bourbon in the finish. Delicious tartness balanced by a little toffee sweetness. Light bourbon flavor and wood aging adds a husky, earthy note. A touch of cinnamon spice in the finish, reminds me of Supplication in that way.

Body is light as is the carbonation. Crisp and clean mouthwatering mouthfeel, drinks more like a wine.

Didn't know what to expect of this one, but I am delighted with it. This is a delicious sour that is vinous, complex and very well balanced. Bourbon barrel aging adds a light husky dimension without being overpowering. Thanks Rodger Davis for making this delicious beer. Glad I have another bottle; I regret I did not get more.

Beerenauslese, Feb 17, 2013

GClarkage, Jul 08, 2014

dksl16, Feb 06, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

orangesol, Mar 02, 2014
3.9/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks to GRG1313 for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a murky honey brown with a foamy biege head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is slightly sour with malt, grain, and dark fruit aromas. Taste is much the same with sour and tart malt and fruit flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of acidity on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that is tasty and easy to drink.

UCLABrewN84, Oct 01, 2013

leftoverburrito, Jun 25, 2014

zestar, Jul 09, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

A - Hazy golden-orange with a thin finger of off-white head. Fades fairly quickly.

S - Sweet caramel and grainy malts, Bourbon, oak, vanilla, funky Brett, tart green fruits, Belgian yeast, some booze.

T - Sweet grainy and caramel malts, tart green and stone fruits, Bourbon, oak, vanilla, funky Brett, Belgian yeast, some sourness and acidity, and some booze.

M - Medium bodied with moderate-minus carbonation. Smooth with a tart, sour, and warming finish.

D - Great wild ale. The balance of sourness and Bourbon barrel is very nice.

ngeunit1, Mar 21, 2013

CheapBeerBuzz, May 27, 2014

westcoastbeerlvr, Feb 15, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Swervine44, Jan 08, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

popery, Jan 21, 2013
Kalinda "Wild #1" Belgian Style Ale from Drake's Brewing Co.