2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arctic Devil Barley Wine - Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

Arctic Devil Barley WineArctic Devil Barley Wine

Midnight Sun Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

English Barleywine |  13.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Arctic Devil Barley Wine, aptly named after the ferocious wolverine of the north, is an English-style (meaning malt-inclined) barley wine. Though the recipe and process for Arctic Devil have evolved over the years, it is brewed once a year then aged in oak barrels for several months before the entire batch is blended, bottled and released.

In its youth, Arctic Devil gnarls and snarls its way across the palate. Containing this beast of a beer for long periods in oak barrels--some having previously aged port, wine or whiskey--tames the unleashed malt and fierce hop flavors, melding and mellowing this powerful liquid into an incredible elixir worthy of a brewer's table.

Each annual batch of Arctic Devil Barley Wine represents the brewers' resolve to create an intriguing and sought-after barley wine by precisely brewing to well-designed specifications, carefully selecting the type and combination of barrels to use for aging, and meticulously checking the beer as it ages. Distinct nuance and complexity are contributed by the wood's previous tenants, resulting in unique flavor profiles in each batch that continue to change over time. We invite you to savor Arctic Devil Barley Wine upon its release then cellar some for future enjoyment.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-24-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 832 | Reviews: 327 | Show All Ratings:
santoslhalper

Bottled Nov. 2004. Purchased at LiquidSolutions.biz

Appearence: Pours a wonderful dark copper with perfect clarity. The head is creamy beige and leaves wonderful lacing. The ruby tints in the beer are beautiful.

Smell: The smell is a stunning mix of caramel, prunes, raisens, fruits and so much more. The malts are abolutely perfect, balanced, and the alcohol rounds them off eincredibly well.

Taste and Mouthfeel: This is exactly how I want a barleywine to taste. It's incredibly complexed, with caramel, wood, and super sweet notes mixed with a slight hop presence. The alcohol at the end rounds it off perfectly. The belly warming effect is superb. The complexity is huge but is so well balanced and tasteful. The mouthfeel is thick, chewy, and creamy.

Drinkability and Overall: Ok. I absolutely love this beer. One of the more perfect beers in the world. I know it's hard to find, but if you ever come across this beer you have to try it. Honestly a killer beer that is damn near impossible to beat. I bow before this beer.

04-08-2005 01:37:08 | More by santoslhalper
mulder1010

Australia

2008 Arctic Devil

Shared with Mr Kennedy
Review #500 YEA!!!

A-- Poured a dark but clear amber. Settled a near black color. Somewhat black and somewhat brown. No ruby with this, just an odd but neat sort of color. One finger light brownish yellow head that had somewhat of a glow to it. Very neat looking. Head fell to film and stuck at film through drinking, leaving a yellow brown film at the bottom of the glass.

S-- Whisky, oak, stewed plumbs, figs, old leather, tobacco, red wine. First time in a long time I thought I was smelling a wine. Excellent.

T-- Whisky, oak, dark fruits, (started to get apricots), leather, tobacco, and port. Whisky and oak drop off and leave a combo of the leather, tobacco, fruits and port. Flavors changed and came in waves.

M-- Thick and rich. Very chewy. Left tannins on my gums. Just warmth from the alcohol, it feels every bit the 13.4 % but hides it in the feel so very well. Well balanced and just plain decadent.

O-- Slow sipper. Glad I shared this as would struggle on a whole bottle of this. Can not think of a barleywine that comes close to this in the complexity and depth that this had. First beer I have had in a long time that afterwards I just have an instant longing to have again. Unreal

03-05-2012 13:20:43 | More by mulder1010
Impfan

Washington

Amazing barleywine, almost more like an Imperial Stout/barleywine hybrid. Deep ruby/brown, almost black color with a remarkably syrupy, mouth-coating body. Flavors of bourbon, brandy, roasted dark chocolate, cappucino, cherries, plums, orange peel, toasted coconut, leather, tobacco, and spices.

There's definitely a good deal of heat, but this only adds more complexity, in a catalyst sort of way. Sucaba WAS my favorite barleywine, but this flavor/texture monster eclipses it.

02-24-2013 22:22:52 | More by Impfan
nickapalooza86

Wisconsin

4.94/5  rDev +12.8%

Huge thanks to KangarooAdam59 for this one!

Pours a deep murky brownish amber

Smell is toffee, caramel, bourbon, vanilla, oak, figs, raisons, dark fruit, black licorice, slight earthy hop character which is very light.

Taste is incredible sweet toffee, dark fruit plum and fig most prevelant, caramel, oak, light earthy hop bitterness, char, vanilla, bourbon, light chocolate note, black licorice, roasty malt character, finishes sweet but not overly so.

Mouthfeel is full, light to medium carbonation, slightly drying on the finish.

Holy cow, how have I never heard of this beer mentioned when people are talking about the best of the best in Barrel Barleywines, I think this may be it. I rated Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Barleywine a perfect 5 and go through at least a case of it a year. But this is just as good if not better holy cow I am truly thankful for the opportunity to try this beer.

12-13-2013 23:05:19 | More by nickapalooza86
HamFon

4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

I had this at the Walk The Line On Barleywine judge thank-you tasting. It came from my cellar, and vintage 2008.

Wow!

A: clear deep copper with nice slight-off-white head of small bubbles that faded quickly (probably since it's a 10% beer)

S: yummy - all kinds of malt, caramel, English floral and earthy hops, and some dark fruits

T: yummy again - big caramel, toffee, malt, floral, black raisins

M: medium body with lots of malt flavor but not too sweet or cloying

O: This is one of the best English style barleywines I've had - a perfect balance of malt accentuated beer with enough supporting hops to keep it from cloying, and also with some interesting fruitiness that adds more dimensions and complexity.

04-14-2012 16:02:12 | More by HamFon
rye726

Colorado

4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours an earthy rosewood with a silky tan head. Fantastic nose of nutty malts, oaky bourbon, dark pitted fruits, vanilla, sweet alcohol and subtle hops. Taste is equally imressive. Again powered by big bready malts, cherries, figs, bourbon, oak, vanilla, caramel, peppery alcohol and light floral hops. Smooth creamy body is delicately carbonated. Fantastic stuff, right up there with the best.

05-08-2009 02:26:50 | More by rye726
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

Arctic devil 2007 vintage. Pours hazy brown, settling in the glass dark almond brown with light haze at the top. Thin ring of head with swirling light carbonation in the center. smell comes of a kind of toasted caramel with slight alcohol tones. Tastes very luxurious and sippable. leaves a sugary residue on the lips, not as strong as JW. Lees but much more syrupy than your average craft brew. taste is very warm and sugary, and not nearly as hoppy as most american brewed barley wines. Goes down smooth, with the exception of a slight alcohol twinge at the finish(very bearable twinge, not like samichlaus or anything) but I suspect the alcohol finish will disappear with age and some of the dark fruit flavors present will increase, with a few years I could see this as one of the top barley wines in america. Reminds me of a darker version of john barleycorn, only more syrupy and sweeter. Great buy!

12-14-2007 00:48:56 | More by AKBelgianBeast
smakawhat

Maryland

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from the bottle into a large snifter glass. I assume vintage 2013.

Out of the bottle it pours like thick mocha coffee, transparent and clear. Hits the body and makes a huge dark walnut brown body, and matching creamy tan head. Collar is always populated with a solid whispy top and has some nice dark red edges. Very nice.

Spicy on the nose. Spicy whiskey character, and dried fruits almost fig like a Belgian Dark Fruit and spicy character match nicely, almost burnt spruce and barrel charred. Dark red fruits seem to come out matching the currants, vanilla touching softness also. Very nice, reminds me more of rye forward barrel aged than bourbon, lovely either way.

Extremely diverse palate. Wonderful caramel smoothness and silky palate with a hint of fizz and playful carbonation. Big spicy character comes through matching the nose. Lots of toasty wood and barrel notes. The palate has a spicy malt character that's hard to describe and it melds nicely with the caramel sensing and gives of salt which is a wonderful combination. Doesn't even feel that big either in terms of boozy quality making for easy drinking. Big licorice notes as the beer warms up also.

Diverse, great aromatics, memorable. Fantastic.

04-01-2013 23:20:02 | More by smakawhat
Rochefort10nh

New Hampshire

Holy god what a beer!

The definition of a traditional barleywine that plays the malt card to its fullest.

Tawny amber in appearence. A one fingered off-white head.

Smell is absolutely heavenly. I finally figured out what this smells like — those penny candy chews called squirrel nut zippers (no not the band which as actaully named after the candy)! If you've ever had one you know what I'm talking about. Molasses, toffee, brown sugar, torrified malt. Perfect.

Taste is more of the same. Honey, molasses, glorious malt. Alcohol is always present but so many other sugary flavors going on that you hardly notice the reputed 14%! Fruits abound: brandied cherries, pineapple, dates, figs, plums hell even appricots. Subtily hopped. Again all about the malt.

Mouthfeel is lush and viscous — like any great beer that has this much malt in it.

Drinkability is fantastic for the high alcohol content and the young age of the bottle: Nov. 2005. Make no mistake though, if you drink this one on your own you will be feeling no pain!

Additionally, I taste and smell a little Sam Adams triple bock oaky/maple syrup thing going on here but without the soy sauce element

Hands down my favorite malty barleywine. Get some.

04-05-2006 14:40:45 | More by Rochefort10nh
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Hugely tarnished copper (like an old penny) with raspberry cordial highlights. I'll take it as a good sign that Arctic Devil is incredibly murky to the point of opacity, a much different look than the gemstone-like lucency of most barleywines. The caramel colored cap looked good right after the pour and looks good as it slowly recedes. Too bad the ABV is a lace killer.

The nose is fantastic! I loved what reached me on the pour and I love it just as much up close. As the style dictates, there isn't a whole lot of hoppiness. That's okay because the aroma is incredible without it. Rich caramel, earthy leather and cherry pipe tobacco lead the way.

As I was pretty sure it would be, Arctic Devil is tremendous beer. My first mouthful told me that it's the best English barleywine that has ever entered my glass. Nothing else even comes close. I need more hoppiness than this for perfection to be a consideration, but this beautifully aged ale is very nearly there. I'm not sure if it's just over two years old or just over three.

What a delicious concoction. The brewery must have used a few tons of caramel malt and included 'who know what else' to get the beer to taste this rich and complex. My description of the nose applies on the palate as well, so I think I'll use it again. Stickysweet and bitter and earthy weave around one another like three strands of a supple barleywine rope. Start it out barely cool, like I did, and your tongue just might explode from sensory overload.

I've changed my mind. When a beer nails a style with this degree of precision, when I'd rather sit and savor it than finish the review, that beer deserves the ultimate compliment of a perfect flavor score. I wish I knew what the oak barrels that were used to age this masterpiece previously contained. Midnight Sun says that there are one of three possibilities for each batch: port, wine or whiskey.

Given the sweet, caramelized sugar that is oozing all over my taste buds, I'll go with bourbon whiskey. Then again, there's a fruity vinousness that suggests port. It really doesn't matter in the end. Whatever was used, I hope my next bottle is placed in the same sort of barrel.

I've had bigger mouthfeels, but I don't know that I've had a more silky smooth big mouthfeel than this one. Lucious doesn't quite capture it. How about superduperfreakinamazinglucious? Every other brewer of barleywines should drink this beer and take copious notes.

I must admit, I expected good to great things from Arctic Devil Barley Wine, but I didn't expect the magnum opus that is currently occupying my snifter. If you love great beer, do yourself a favor and do anything it takes to acquire a bomber of this outstanding elixir. This is my new gold standard for the English barleywine style.

05-22-2007 22:53:08 | More by BuckeyeNation
garbercury

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

07' Vintage, pretty pumped for this one. Cracked open for the opening weekend of NCAA football with a crab cake, and 16 0z ribeye...Life is good.

A--Deep ruby-red, bordering on brown, good carbonation.

S--Wow, impressive nose. Caramel, toffee, maple syrup.

T--I love it. Classic English Barleywine. Only thing more complex than the nose is the taste. Caramel, vanilla, chocolate. This beer is still pretty damn strong (hot) after 4 years. Still terrific!

M--Silky to the palate.

D--I would drink this all the time if I could, ISO: more Arctic Devil please.

09-04-2010 21:12:50 | More by garbercury
yeahnatenelson

2008 Vintage

Appearance -- Pours a rudy amber hue with one finger of sudsy creme head. Handsome.

Smell -- Caramel, bourbon, vanilla, dark fruit, and faint juicy citrus. Nothing harsh, out of place, or out of proportion. Heavenly.

Taste -- Rich dark fruits, caramel and toffee, bourbon sweetness, oaky vanillin, and mild citrusy hops. I'm not sure if it's the barrel character causing this, but Arctic Devil seems to be the ultimate blend of American-styled and classic English barleywines: rich malt character with enough citrusy hops to keep things balanced. Amazing.

Mouthfeel -- Full bodied with mild carbonation and zero alcohol heat. Amazing.

Overall -- I have a hard time believing that I'll find another barrel-aged barleywine this good. Had this right after Pelican Mother of All Storms and the Devil won out. Everything is so well integrated at this point, it would be hard to argue for waiting longer to pop this open.

Must have more!!!

05-09-2011 00:59:20 | More by yeahnatenelson
zipper8650

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Review # 2 and it turned into Battle Alaska ...my first review was a 3 year vertical Alaskan Barleywine. It was my second time having it and I remembered I really liked it....then I had Arctic Devil
Snifter
A - poured out a light amber color, almost like a liquid honey, little to no head. Once the glass was filled it was that great amber/maple syrup color. The color graduation towards the middle was pretty, this is a great looking beer
S - incredible, warm sweet slightly burnt toffee, orange, this is a great smelling beer
T - tastes as good as it looks and smells. It is incredibly smooth for a 13.4, it has some boozy heat but its not biting at all and smooth throughout the taste. The bourbon is so well balanced in this and doesnt hit you in the face, it just works well. this is a great tasting beer.
M - again, no surprise, nice prominent mouthfeel like a barleywine should have...or as my girlfriend put it "so fucking pleasant"
O - loved this beer, I hope they still have some on the self because I am going to get more!
Skol

03-30-2013 22:53:35 | More by zipper8650
ccrida

Oregon

4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

22oz. bomber (this years release, cellared ~3.5 months) into my Midnight Sun cervoise, Arctic Devil is a very dark, murky garnet with a 2 finger tan head that faily quickly settles down to a thick collar, leaving no lace.

Smell is really big, sweet malt, fruity, with wonderfully dominating barrel aged notes of vanilla and coconut. Wow, fantastic.

Taste equally strong and rich, huge caramel maltiness and fruit esters, and again, loads of vanilla and coconut. I love the complex flavors from the barrel aging, they really make this beer. Hints of wassil spices, fig, nuts, anise, a noticeable alcohol character that keeps it spicy without adding many fusels. This is one of my all-time favorite barleywines, though I haven't had it since the '07 Hard Liver Barleywine fest at Brower's in Seattle....they had that years, and a 3-5 year old version that absolutely blew my mind, it was the best in show out of a good 50 great brews. Which is why I ponied up $15 a bomber for a bunch of these so I can let 'em run in the cellar for as long as I can hold out!

Mouthfeel is pretty thick and chewy, though booze keeps it dry and helps thin it out some.

Drinkability is way to good for a beer I want to forget I have for a couple of years!!! I'm glued to the couch watching the Elite 8 right now after an epic spring powder dump at Mt. Hood today, and can't think of a better choice for melting away my extreme soreness from floating the 2+ ft of freshies. If you like big, fruity English BWs, this is an absolute must try.

03-30-2008 03:58:53 | More by ccrida
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Pours a very dark amber color with brown tinting and deep ruby highlights. A two-finger head of dark tan colored foam sits on top. This recedes to a thin, filmy, surface covering. Lacing is in thick ropes and very sticky.

Huge malt presence which is sweet, yet delicate, and extremely deep. An underlying smell which is not unlike maple syrup combined with a good, high-end, whiskey. Mild oak notes. An extremely small presence of citrus hop notes. It just smells butterey, rich and decadent.
This is an excellent smelling barleywine and pretty much what I look for, from the style.

Good lord, that's good.
A massively deep and rich malt profile stands, boldly, front and center. Big notes of rich, butterey, milk caramels. Huge presence of figs and raisins. A nice level of lightly burnt sugars. Butterey oak notes. Smooth vanilla presence. Toasted hazelnuts. A very light kiss of hop bitterness, on the finish, keeps it from becoming cloying.
This is very possibly the best barleywine that I've ever had. I hate cold weather, but I'd almost move to Alaska to have better access to this.

Very full-bodied brew. This one is thick, viscous and oily, just the way I like 'em to be. The lower-medium level of carbonation is perfect. This one is super smooth and even has a light touch of creaminess to it.

The high abv content would definitely relegate this one to 'sipper' category, although it's very nicely hidden. I'd love to have two or three of these, though, so as to 'sip' on this lovely brew all night long.
This is an excellent barleywine and one hell of an introduction for me to Midnight Sun Brewerey. I must find more....

09-03-2009 04:56:42 | More by coldmeat23
aerozeppl

4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

Thanks to dmeadows for the share. We did the 2007 and 2008 side by side. The 07 was 10% while the 08 was slightly stronger. Looks like I wrote 1?.4

A: The 07 had more carbonation. The 2008 was a little bit darker. Both are a nice garnet color with some ruby color in there as well. Really a great looking english barleywine.

S: The 07 was so mellow and nice. The 98 is sweeter and a little boozier. More malt. The nose has a ton of malt. The barrel gives it that smooth nose. Just blended everything together.

T: More oak in the 08. More booze as well but still smooth. The thing I could not get over was how smooth the 07 was. Reminded me of a 1998 JW Lees. Just so well balanced. One of the best barleywines I have ever had. Excellent use of barrel aging.

M: Very smooth. Nice carbonation. Both vintages.

D: Amazingly drinkable. Just so smooth. I really loved this beer. Deserves to be in the top 100.

06-04-2010 20:59:40 | More by aerozeppl
ChadQuest

4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

YeahNateNelson got a high five for this pour, i think 2 high-fives actually. If anyone else has a bottle, i will FT: 3 high fives. I probally owe Nate another one too.

So this bottle was an 08, and everything had melded so well it was unreal. There was little alcohol heat, but some deep bourbon flavors are still there. Caramel and Toffee had overtaken all others and created a slightly chewy palate coating monster of a BW. There was a resin hop note that is all flavor and no bitter, and a mammoth butterscotch richness. This one is an awesome Barleywine, i will need to track down a bottle.

05-02-2011 02:41:56 | More by ChadQuest
hippityhops85

4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

This has to be one of the best beers I have ever tasted. Bottle shared with a good friend. I don't know the year specifically (no year on bottle) Assuming it's around 2006.

Pours a deep ruby/brown with minimal head with a thin ring around the circumference.

The nose literally smells like cinnamon toast crunch but like, the best cinnamon toast crunch you've ever had. Lots of vanilla as well.

The taste follows the whole cinnamon toast crunch thing with excellent toffee and butterscotch notes, deep malt flavors, molasses, some tea flavors as well. Unbelievable how much is going on here.

The mouth feel is superb for a 5+ year old bottle. Very light oxidation, thick mouth feel that isn't overbearing. YUM YUM YUM!!

I would definitely buy this again, and again, and again if I was given the option.

11-25-2011 17:04:19 | More by hippityhops85
gkatsoris

4.83/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: Pitch black; exactly like an RIS. No head at all, but there is lacing on the glass as I drink.

S: Black cherries, brown sugar, peaches, pineapple, raisins, brown sugar, vanilla, butterscotch

T: Butterscotch, brown sugar, vanilla. Raisins, molasses, and butter.

M: Thick & chewy and thick & chewy. Foam-a-licious. Perfect!

O: God this is delicious! Please come to PA!

thanks Beership!

05-19-2013 02:57:55 | More by gkatsoris
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Purchased from bottletrek $16, plus delivery. Here's hoping it lives up to the hype!

Pours an effervescent ruby tinged chestnut with 2+ fingers of fluffy sand colored head. Average lacing & head retention for the style, nice viscous look

S: Oaky, vanilla notes along with other bourbon notes, plus figs

T: Rich dark fruit, singed dark sugar, molasses, & a bit of booze warmth/burn up front. English Christmas pudding, a bit of chocolate, dryness & subtle leafy/herbal hoppyness as this warms some more. Finishes dry, with tons of dark fruit, leafy hops, & more Christmas pudding, if I could give this an A++ I would

MF: Gooey, with near zero carbonation, luscious!

Drinks great for the style & this is a great English Barley wine with a bit of a twist, this devil will get to you before you get to him! Great offering, better than this rating! But very few beers/wines or liquors are worth this price (unless bootlegged)

04-30-2008 05:16:27 | More by russpowell
largadeer

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

2007 vintage. Hazy amber-brown in color with a small tan head. Rich malty aroma, woody with light resin and sherry-like oxidation. Figs, raisins, huge caramel sweetness. Similar on the palate; dark dried fruit, oak, tannins, toffee. Massive body, remarkably viscous. Deep resiny hops in the finish, noticeably faded with age but still packing a punch, and quite tannic too.

05-19-2009 21:20:22 | More by largadeer
womencantsail

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

A big thanks to Kevin for opening this one during the Bruery 2nd Anniversary.

A: The pour is a slightly hazy dark amber color with a medium off-white head on it.

S: A really top notch bouquet on this one. Rich caramel, toffee, burnt sugar, and dark fruits. Some bourbon, vanilla, and some more caramel for good measure.

T: The sweetness is certainly present, but it is not cloying at all. The caramelized and "burnt" sugar flavors offer some balance and interact wonderfully with the cherries, plums, and vanilla.

M: A smooth and silky mouthfeel, nearly chewy but not syrupy. A low to moderate carbonation and a pleasant alcohol warmth.

D: Easily one of the best barleywines I've had and one of my new favorites.

05-24-2010 21:07:03 | More by womencantsail
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Huge thanks to me for busting this out while at a recent tasting. 08 vintage. Split into tulips.

A: Cinnamon brown with a slight red tint. Small beige head leaves tiny soapy lace flecks.

S: Rich malt, heavily buttered and sugared white toast. Caramel and toffee drizzled dates and figs. Sweet tarts, mild earthy hops and a bit of leather. The alcohol is faint. Damn there's a lot going on here.

T: Wow! Super sweet and rich caramel malt. The tartness of the hops is still lingering after all this time. Giving it a great push and pull. Dark fruits, brown sugar, bread crusts and maybe a hint of leather in the finish. I can't pick up hardly a trace of the alcohol.

M: Full creamy body. It just slowly drips off the tongue.

O: This was a beer that totally lived up to the hype. I could drink a whole bottle myself. Maybe I will one of these days.

04-17-2011 20:45:10 | More by beerwolf77
hardy008

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2011 Vintage

Pours a cloudy copper color with an almost full finger light tan head, with nice retention for a high abv beer, and spotty lacing. Has a very nice aroma with figs, dates, raisins, caramel, oak, vanilla, and a little Whiskey. Just a fantastic smelling beer.

Tastes every bit as great as the aroma suggests, and then some. Has a nice sweet flavor, which is not overly sweet, with figs, dates, raisins, caramel, oak, vanilla, toffee, brown sugar, and a little bit of Whiskey. I let this one age for a while, and it has aged and developed beautifully.

Medium bodied, smooth, with low carbonation. The alcohol is extremely well hidden for a 13.4 % abv beer. This is an outstanding beer.

01-21-2014 03:54:44 | More by hardy008
OneBeertoRTA

4.79/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I bought two cases of 2013 and now that I'm on my last bottle of case #1 I figured a review is well deserving.

Pour- is a dark traditional BBBW color with a good finger in a half of head.

Smell- Nice sweet bourbon, fruit and some mellow malts

Taste- I can tell you after 11 of his brothers that this is an all around fantastic representation of the style. With a healthy abv of 13.4% I can literally taste no heat. Nothing beats one of these bad boys during a laker game or before dinner.

Mouthfeel- Carbonation is perfect and the drinkability second to none in the style

Overall- for a BW and especially BBBW lover this is a fantastic beer. I bought two cases for a reason and haven't traded a single one. Just the right mix of bourbon, oak barrel and traditional barley wine. Drinkable as all hell for the abv and just the right sweetness. Would recommend this to any BBBW lover.

04-05-2012 05:18:42 | More by OneBeertoRTA
Arctic Devil Barley Wine from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.