Arctic Rhino Coffee Porter - Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

Arctic Rhino Coffee PorterArctic Rhino Coffee Porter

good

Midnight Sun Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

American Porter |  5.00% ABV

Inspired by local artist & roaster Michael Allen's eccentricly-named blend of coffee beans, Midnight Sun's brewers designed a beer recipe and flavor infusion process that perfectly captures the alluring aroma, satisfying flavor and curious legend of Allen's Arctic Rhino Coffee Blend.

Arctic Rhino Coffee Porter combines two quintessential Pacific Northwest favorites: coffee and ale. The result is wonderfully romantic and robust--a duel-fueled porter that melds charismatic dark malt with freshly roasted coffee beans.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-20-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
markgugs

2.5/5  rDev -32.6%

04-20-2014 17:43:09 | More by markgugs
ccrida

Oregon

2.5/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 22oz. bottle I picked up in Seward, into a Midnight Sun goblet, the Artic Rhino coffee porter is a dark, inky black, with a small but thick, creamy tan head, leaving thick foamy lace.

The aroma is roasty, chalky and bitter coffee. It sweetens ever so slightly as it warms.

The taste is metallic and very astringent coffee, more akin to coffee grounds then the brewed drink, as well as black malt. There is also a bit of sour milk, and a touch of hops. Not really my cup of tea, and I also had a few of the excellent porter's from Homer Brewing Company on draft with dinner a few hours earlier, so I can't help but compare.

The body is heavy for a porter, and a bit oily.

This was not to drinkable to me, way to much coffee and not enough porter. I wish I'd had another couple fresh Homer Brewing Co. drafts instead, since I won't be in town much longer and can get these Midnight Sun brews back home.

04-28-2007 02:27:32 | More by ccrida
TheGordianKnot

Tennessee

2.55/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

ArchEnemyBrew really came through in sending me one of my big wants as an extra! Shared this bomber with a group at the BASC release. For some reason it wasn't the most popular choice around (probably due to the Jackie Os, Utopias, Czar Jack, etc being poured around) so I ended up drinking about half of it...

A- Pours black with about an inch of a very fluffy mocha colored head laced with very large bubbles. Decent lacing present as well.

S- Coffee all the way. Very coffee-y and unfortunately it has that stale coffee aroma I get in quite a few coffee beers. After the coffee there is some hidden roasted malt and chocolate. Coffee is very overpowering though.

T/M- Damn, again this bad boy is ALL coffee. And yet again the coffee is reminiscent of stale dunkin donuts coffee. Honestly, its hard to tell, but I don't even feel like the base porter was that great. There just wasn't any significant substance to the base beer to back up the coffee flavor. It obviously had a bit of roastiness to it; and a touch of nuttiness as well, but in the end it was disappointing. The body is definitely too light to support the overall effect of the beer; however I will say it was nice to have such a light feeling beer after all of the heavy Imperial Stouts that were flowing at BASC.

O- Unfortunately this was a let down for me. The coffee flavor was just too stale to me. I want to know how beers like Terrapin WnB keep up such a fresh coffee flavor and presence when others like this and Coffee Bender just fall off into staleness. Maybe it was just stale tasting right out of the brewery. Maybe I'll never know. In the end, I'm so pumped I got to try this but I have had much better coffee beers and porters all around. This beer just doesn't fit into my preference anywhere...

07-26-2011 21:42:15 | More by TheGordianKnot
Floydster

2.7/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

22 ounce bottle purchased from Liquid Solutions in Oregon for about six dollars

Poured into my Chimay goblet with a thin black color that resembled watered down oil, 1/2 light tan head that settled almost immediately, no retention and no lacing

Smell had strong coffee right up front, some roasted malt, burned aromas, coal, charcoal, also a faint scent of cherries

Taste was tons of coffee throughout, it overpowered everything and it was veryu one dimensional, did not get sweeter at any point which I found interesting, porters typically get sweeter as it warms in my experience, dry sensation in the finish almost made me feel like I needed a glass of water along with it, needed some hoppiness or unroasted malt to balance out the coffee flavor, not much to brag about here

Body was thin and this one was way too carbonated, taste did not last long at all, very weak mouthfeel overall

Could not even get through the bottle myself, had to give some to a friend, super heavy and taste is tiresome, even though alcohol is low this one is not very drinkable, needed to be a lot smoother

One of the worst beers I have had from Midnight Sun, big disappointment after looking forward to trying this one for so long, not recommended unless you are a fan of coffee beers, but then I would not even think it is too good

01-19-2008 21:54:02 | More by Floydster
Crosling

Colorado

2.73/5  rDev -26.4%

A dark brown colored brew with a small, very light tan head that fades to a collar. Coffee and espresso aromas, but devoid of any aromatic malt character and the coffee character isn't very suave or complex. Flavor has some nice things going on, but is disappointing overall. Very light tasting, not much nuance or malt complexity. I want bolder flavors and aromas. I really like Midnight Sun. They make incredible beers. But this is a pretty weak example. They can and should do better.

11-04-2008 02:12:24 | More by Crosling
bvermilion

2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

04-25-2013 02:56:09 | More by bvermilion
denver10

Kentucky

2.75/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours dark brown, blackish in the very center, with a nice mocha head. Aroma is medium roasted coffee grind and some chocolate. I would have to say that the coffee does comes across a little on the stale side of things. Flavor followed suit with a slightly hoppy finish. A medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, I was really looking forward to trying this one but was definitely let down. Not a great representation of the style, IMO. Perhaps I got an old bottle that had been sitting for a while? The stale coffee definitely ruined this beer for me.

08-24-2013 20:51:02 | More by denver10
mjl21

2.83/5  rDev -23.7%

22 ounce bottle purchased during the City Beer kickoff event. Poured into a tulip glass. Comes in at 5% and 20 IBUs. Bottled on the second week of either January or February.

A-Pours a dark brown with a one finger sandy head that sticks around and leaves some nice lace.

S-All coffee grounds all the time. The problem is the coffee smells more like the canned stuff my folks drink. Don't get much in the way of chocolate notes.

T-Like the nose, coffee flavor dominates. The grounds seem to have been roasted for too long and impart an acrid taste that I did not enjoy.

M-Medium bodied with proper carbonation.

D-I couldn't get over the fact that it reminded me of coffee in a can and ended up drain pouring the second half.

I was not a fan of this one. Not sure if it was an old bottle, but it really tasted like overly roasted inferior coffee.

02-23-2010 23:41:06 | More by mjl21
pjkelley82

2.84/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass....

Huge 3 finger mocha colored head... very pillowy... stuck aroud till damn near done...

Smell was actually the best part... good strong coffe smell... not like the most expensive coffee but solid coffee... very strong in the smell...

Taste was a little bit of a letdown... not as coffee foward as the smell... pretty bland hops are well balanced nice slight touch of bitter at the end but fades away perfectly.... balanced well but nothing to write home about...

The mouthfeel was the biggest letdown for me. Super light... watery... and slighlty over carbonated for my tastes...

Overall its not the worst everrr... but Im gonna try it again to make sure it wasnt old/bad bottle.. to me there's way better porters out there and this is at the bottom of what I tried and have available to me....

10-07-2013 21:56:31 | More by pjkelley82
Murrhey

Montana

2.85/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Poured a three finger mocha head. Medium length retention, specks of fluff. Deep black color with no clarity. Nice looking beer.

S- Strong coffee, mocha, cake batter, roasted malts. Appealing.

T- Strange taste. Yes, coffee but something else. Peanut butter? So weird. Not great.

M- Creamy, wet.

O- Really meh. Nice smell, but feel and taste are not doing it for me.

11-29-2012 06:11:15 | More by Murrhey
hopsleeroy

2.95/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Black pour with decent head
S- Serious coffe aroma, fairly one dimensional in the coffee aroma smell
T- Coffee taste very present but not really pleasant, tasted more like old coffee that had been sitting around the office or like somebody's coffee breath, earthy hops underneath that added to the stale coffee flavor, not balanced enough with malt/creamy creamy flavor
M-Fairly creamy but medium
D- I wouldn't come back to this one again.

10-01-2008 22:07:32 | More by hopsleeroy
olympuszymurgus

2.98/5  rDev -19.7%

My first reaction was "this tastes like shitty coffee"

I then drank the bottle, let it warm, smelled it, swished it around and tried to enjoy, but in the end it still tasted like shitty coffee. Folgers type stuff...

I probably wont buy another bottle, there are better coffee style beers that I can enjoy for the same or less money.

01-02-2010 18:21:26 | More by olympuszymurgus

11-22-2011 18:44:21 | More by Rochefort10nh
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

Bought from Liquid solutions a few months ago.

Took forever to pour this one, over carbonated for sure. Pours a dark brown almost black with faint ruby highlights when held to the light. Oversized head is a medium mocha color and takes a little while to fall. Aroma is obviously coffee, more like an instant coffee type smell if that makes any sense. Slight phenolic in there also that seems just a little out of place. Taste holds more coffee and adds some chocolate slight hop bite in the finish. Mineral type taste in there too. Body is kind of thin Mouthfeel is kind of watery I would have loved it creamier. Carbonation is too high. Overall I'm not impressed. Its possible I got a bad bottle, but as is this beer is lacking.

10-28-2008 21:40:00 | More by johnnnniee
n2185

3.04/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours black with two fingers of light tan head that fades into a frothy ring with a little lacing.

S: Roasted malts, semi-sweet chocolate, and a bit of creamy coffee here without much else.

T: Roasted malts here as well with bitter chocolate, char, and a bit of roasted coffee. The finish is lightly bitter.

M: Not for sure if this is a bad bottle, but this beer is way overcarbonated. Every sip seems to explode into a mouthful of froth, making it more like drinking a glass of foam than a beer.

O: This would be a solid, drinkable porter, but the extreme carbonation makes it very difficult to drink.

07-14-2013 20:02:06 | More by n2185
Vancer

3.08/5  rDev -17%

A disappointing brew from Midnight Sun - not bad, but nothing to write home about. Very plain and average from start to finish.

Coal black pour, just some minimal tan heading - this low alcohol brew should have produced more.

Very subtle hints of coffee in both the aroma and taste. Finishes harsh, tart and dry. Drinks ok - but not worth the high shipping $ to get it.

03-04-2008 01:45:41 | More by Vancer
ralree

Maryland

3.08/5  rDev -17%

A: Nice head, brown, black color.

S: Dark coffee all the way. Would prefer a little more complexity.

T: Total coffee. A little too bitter. Too much coffee flavor, not enough beer.

M: Too light-bodied, not thick enough. Too dry, should be more syrupy.

D: Doesn't go down easily.

08-13-2009 00:42:25 | More by ralree
brewdlyhooked13

3.1/5  rDev -16.4%

Appearance - pours dark enough to block out all light. A big bubbled mocha head springs up and I have to quell the pour a bit to calm things down. It caps off and forms a nice creamy cover with large spacious bubbles of foam below it. Sprays of lace left behind.

Aroma - yup, coffee beans, and right away. Kind of a Folger's or Maxwell House canned smell, but not bad. Roasted grain works its way in after a few minutes.

Taste - roasted grain, a touch of char to it. A touch of metal to start as well. The coffee beans have their moments. Again, as in the nose, there is a metallic, canned ground-coffee flavor to them. On the swallow, they turn kind of jalapeno on me. The finish is better. Roasted malt and a better representation of the coffee beans as the metal fades. The beer shines in spots, unfortunately the metal and canned coffee hurt it, barely avoiding a 2.5 IMO.

Mouthfeel - thinner than I'd think. Crisply carbonated with an element of smoothness.

Drinkability - easy enough to drink but not hitting the right buttons for me. I'd like to try this on tap but wouldn't seek the bottles out again.

05-08-2008 03:35:37 | More by brewdlyhooked13
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.13/5  rDev -15.6%

Recieved this one as a gift from Tayner, Thank you very much. Had been sitting on it in the fridgr and decided to crack it open this evening. The pour was simply wonderful as the cellar temp beer was poured into my oversized wine glass. A deep, dark, black liquid emerged in front of me. One of the darkest I have ever seen. A huge billowing tan head of foam that reached a height of perhaps three inches then came up over the top and stayed around for what seemed like forever before it finally let up and simply left a two finger high head of foam on top. Tons of side glass lace then ensued, in a word, big.

The aroma is where it all started going down hill for me if I am being honest. It was an almost fake kinda coffee smell. This is simply one of my favorite styles and it just was not doing it for me in any way. Sugary sweet coffee aromas were pretty much all there was to this one. The flavor was just a touch off, not nearly strong enough to really make it stand out. But I think the real ditractor was thin feel of this. It was almost watery at times, way too thin, and just not enough for me at all. Good carbonation, but it was just lacking. The drinkability was good as the ABV was low and it was light, it was just a touch disapointing to me as the thiness did not allow the flavor to develop. It was really one sided, not offering any kind of depth, just straight up sweet, burnt coffee taste, almost like a melted coffee flavored slurpee.

Overall I was really not impressed here. Dont get me wrong as there are much worse beers out there, I just had really high hopes for this one and being how much I love the style it was just a touch disapointing. I do not think I will be endulging in this one again.

05-26-2008 01:05:47 | More by mikesgroove
Arctic Rhino Coffee Porter from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.