M Belgian-Style Barleywine - Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

M Belgian-Style BarleywineM Belgian-Style Barleywine

Midnight Sun Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

American Barleywine |  11.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-16-2005

On this 10-year mark, Midnight Sun Brewing Company proudly releases its 1000th batch of beer - a larger-than-life Belgian-style Barley Wine (if such a style exists) simply called M - in commemoration of the enduring spirit that founded and sustains this little brewery in the extreme Northwest. Making M required a massive grain bill - seven seductive malts - boosted by strength-inducing Belgian candi sugar. Once original gravity hit 37 Plato, a frenzied fermentation ensued: four completely fabulous yeast strains, two of Belgian origin, transformed this sweet concoction into all that is beer. But not just any beer. A beer of madcap magnitude - 11.6% ABV. Character and complexity increased exponentialy while M meddled and mellowed for several months in all-American bourbon oak barrels. Blending the aged beer before bottling ascertained smoothness. M is mesmerizing, pouring dark and silky. Caramel and spice waft up from the glass; bourbon, molasses, leather and vanilla follow. The first taste proffers tobacco, burnt sugar and raisin with a sublime port-like finish, but bourbon - smooth, sensuous, brooding bourdon - is ever-present. The finish, a bit edgy like an American take on barley wine, provides the necessary leap toward overall balance. M is a precious gift to ourselves as well as you, seekers of beer-that-is-beyond-beer adventures... We are but mere mortals in the presence of M.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.94/5  rDev +5.6%

I am proud to say I was lucky enough to have this beer twice in a two month period. First bottle provided by matta. Second bottle bonused in a trade by a wonderful BA in the great white north, and shared with the tampa, orlando, and miami crew.

A: Pours a nice deep shade of brown with tinges of angry maroon showing through. The head is rather small with little retention or lace.

S: Wonderful malty sweetness. Tons of sweet molasses, chocolate, caramel, and over ripe dark fruit.

T: This one has gloriously aged. Tons of wonderful malt sweetness. Molasses, caramel, and rich nutty toffee. Dark fruit is there with mild chocolate, mild woody notes and a dash of vanilla.

M: On the fuller side of body, rich, bold, smooth, sweet, tasty, with a bit of booze in the finish

D: Wonderful, a masterpiece that is not only rare, it is great. One of the best aged beers I have ever had. Wish I had been drinking good stuff to have tried this one fresh as well.

Pours a striking mahogany with thin tan head. The aroma is caramel covered graham cracker and black strap molasses as well as musty aged figs, dates and plums. It smells of smooth yum and is very inviting. The taste is smooth rich creamy goodness with aged minced raisins fully populating a thick slice of pumpernickel and then moving into sweet black strap molasses, creamy caramel and then rich smooth blended notes of prunes, figs and dates. It evens out into the finish a bit with soft notes of chocolate and burnt molasses. This tastes fantastic and doesn't overwhelm with syrupiness by ending with a high degree of drinkabilty. In fact, I can see myself drinking a little of this every night.

4.97/5  rDev +6.2%

This beer was brought to our tasting on 7/25/09-7/26/09 by a very generous Stephen.

M appears very dark in my snifter, nearly black. The creamy one finger toffee head lingers atop the liquid for a long time. The retention is good, and when the head finally recedes it leaves creamy swirls in my glass of various shades of brown. Some scattered lacing sticks to my glass.

The aroma is truly remarkable. I stuck my nose in the snifter and kept it there for 10 minutes before finally taking a sip. The aroma opens up with a complex interaction between sweet Belgian candied sugar, bourbon, and chocolate. The candied sugar is permeating, at all time lending a perfect level of sweetness to the beer. Beautiful notes of caramel dance across my olfactory with vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon following close behind. Molasses is present, as well as tobacco and a leathery quality that goes hand in hand with the earthiness of the beer. The alcohol is almost completely hidden. Fruit notes are evident in the form of dates and figs.

The flavor of this beer was a difficult one for me to describe. There was so much going on I couldn't possibly capture it all with a mere pen and paper, and for a split second frustration washed over me when I came to that realization. I took small sips with a blank note pad before me for many minutes before I finally began writing everything I was experiencing.

The flavor is initially of sweet Belgian candied sugar and brown sugar, with some strong oak and chocolate notes. The chocolate falls somewhere between dark and milk. It's too dark to be milky and too milky to be dark. It's just like this beer to simulate a chocolate flavor I can't adequately describe. The spices I smelled are present in the flavor, playing off the oak, along with a lesser vanilla character. Earthiness accompanies leather, rich toffee, and caramel. Bourbon is ubiquitous, and I taste a touch of soy sauce as well as a hint of tobacco. The fruit component of the beer is of the dark persuasion, simulating raisins, plums, figs, dates, and grapes. I see the bottle says 11.6% ABV, but I taste no alcohol. The finish is rich and seems to sum up all the flavors I've experienced on my journey through M, finally choosing to linger on my palate for a long time until I take my next sip.

M is full bodied with a complimenting low level of carbonation. The mouthfeel is soft and smooth on the palate, almost silky at times. Other times it's chewy, creamy, and sticky.

This beer far exceeded my expectations. This is in my top 5 of all time. At 4 years, this beer is remarkable and shows no signs of going downhill any time soon. Get your hands on this at all costs! This is near perfection.

The doubt as to whether or not this beer would be in the lineup, and the anticipation that it might be plagued me for over a month. First it wasn't going to be there, then it was, then it might be, then it wasn't, then it was again, then we heard nothing two hours into the tasting, and then it finally showed up at my door. I can't thank you enough Stephen. It's safe to say I would have never tried this beer if not for your generosity. For me, this was the highlight of the tasting.

4.97/5  rDev +6.2%

Stephen really took the You Bring the Cheese to the next level with bottles of this and the 2005 Berserker. Thank you, Stephen, this is one of those I never thought I'd see.

A: Very dark brown, rather surprisingly so for a barleywine with a thin beige head. Brownish highlights. Retention isn't great, but this is an attractive beer nonetheless.

S: Insane depth and complexity. Oak and bourbon apparent at first with a lot of brown sugar, toffee, cocoa, slightly charred caramel and vanilla. Mildly nutty, with a skin-like bitterness, mild oxidation, just beautiful. The Belgian yeast character is noticeable (but not whelming) with a mild spiciness, with nutmeg being the dominant component to my nose. By far the most complex beer I've had.

T: 600+ reviews in, this is the first time I', having a hard time describing a beer. Most of my reviews deconstruct a beer into 3 or 4 segments - opening flavors, what follows, a mid-palate and a finish. This beer doesn't fit that mold, and gives me a very hard time.

Needless to say, the immense depth on the nose was only a sign of things to come. Very, very complex, but also incredibly well integrated. A complex blend of sugar, honey, toffee and a mild coconut, bourbon, vanilla and oak dance around the palate, with cocoa and more toffee. The finish is outstanding, incredibly long and flavorful. Truly exceptional

M: Big in body without being syrupy, soft carbonation that enhances the velvet-like character of the beer and an incredible finish with a complex blend of brown sugar, toffee, bourbon and tannins. This is the second beer that I'd give a 6 for the mouthfeel (after Pliny the Younger)

D: This is one of the most drinkable beer out there. I would trade a kidney for this. Worth it's weight in gold. Stephen, I can't thank you enough for a truly religious beer experience

** March 28 2010. I got to try this again at the Most Epic Fucking Tasting You Wish You Were A Part Of. Thank you, Trey. **
I'm going to have to up the appearance, it looks great with nice lacing and great head retention.
The nose is as excellent as I remember it being. The spicy alcohol character is present, brown sugar and bourbon being a little more forward. A touch of oxidation is also present, with raisins and dates. More molasses, is present.
The palate opens with plenty of molasses, dark brown sugar, bourbon, vanilla, caramel, buckwheat honey. The spice character is excellent, I'm getting a little nutmeg and mace, and that complements the alcohol really well. This beer is perfect right now, if you've got one, drink it now.

4.94/5  rDev +5.6%

I'm not even sure how to start this review...I guess the proper way would be to thank Stephen for his generosity in sharing this amazing beer at the "You Bring the Cheese Tasting" which took part on July 25-26th 2009. To say I was excited to try this would be an understatement; probably ecstatic would be the right word to describe my feelings.

(Hello image...)
The experience began when that dark cola liquid began flowing into my snifter. A thin ring of tan colored foam around the glass and a swirl brought back about a quarter inch of foam that was made up of small, beady, bubbles.

At first encounter I got notes of chocolate, molasses, spicy oak with soft hints of cinnamon and nutmeg, Belgian yeast fruitiness, raisins, toast, and dates. There is no sign of alcohol heat whatsoever. The aroma continued with toasted oak, toasted almonds, a bit of earthiness, and chocolate coco cereal. Amazingly complex. A bit of fruity alcohol way in the back. Butterscotch and hints of sweet soy sauce after it warms up. After taking a few sips and combining the aroma with the taste I just had to bump up the score on aroma.

(You'll fall in love with somebody else tonight...)
The first sip of this beer was just a beer revelation and more intense than the aroma. Chocolate upfront, sweet toast, honey, cocoa, toasted oak and almonds, vanilla, caramel, toffee, molasses, sweet cherries, and brown sugar. There is a nice toffee-candy finish with hints of sweet soy sauce. Nice Belgian dark candy flavors and yeastiness. Smooth carbonation with a sweet and syrupy beginning, creamy midway, and coating finish. Amazing drinkability, would easily drink this whole bottle myself and would still be craving more.

This was one of those beers that you take your first sip of and your first reaction is "WOW!" You lean your head back and think for a few minutes, smiling and laughing to yourself, and just sit there in complete admiration for the beer. Truly one of the best beer experiences I've had. I have only had this type of beer 'revelation' status with about 4 beers over the hundreds I have tried, those would have to be: Närke Kaggen Stormaktsporter 06, Lost Abbey- Yellow Bus, a ten year old bottle of Cantillon Classic Gueuze (99), and now Midnight Sun- M.

4.97/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance: M sits in the glass with a dark but clear chestnut colored body and a finger of tan head that slowly settles into a thin disc. An unusually beautiful barleywine.

Aroma: Spicy oak, cinnamon and nutmeg upon first smell. Caramel, tobacco and leather come out more as it breathes, along with a hint of earth and soy sauce-like oxidation. Rich and complex but not terribly sweet.

Taste/mouthfeel: Big oak flavors up front; spicy and leathery with a nice tannic backbone. Plenty of sweetness in the form of brown sugar, figs, dark chocolate and vanilla. No heat, no trace of alcohol whatsoever in fact. For such an incredibly complex beer, this is neither too rich nor heavy; the balance is impeccable. Finishes earthy, woody, chocolatey and semi-sweet. At over 4 years old, oxidation is present but very subtle, lending a hint of soy sauce and sherry. I can see this beer aging gracefully for many more years. Thanks for sharing the bottle, Stephen.

4.97/5  rDev +6.2%

I want to start out with a huge thank you to hoppymeal for trading his only other bottle of M!

Looks black or very dark brown from a distance, but when held to light has some very dark red colors to it. Excellent clarity on the beer. The head is tan colored and hangs around well leaving a decent lacing. Aroma jumps out of the glass with burnt sugar, molasses, sour cherries, mint, rum, bourbon, oak, plum, raisins, and Christmas cookies. Intense and complex smell, but everything smells so delicious. Taste is full of brown sugar, molasses, huge amount of caramel, cherries, bourbon, and vanilla. Mouthfeel is full, but so damn smooth, not cloying at all. Low carbonation and full body cause this to slide over the tongue delivering deliciousness to every taste bud possible. A beautiful beer to drink, I could sip on this beer all day, but sadly I don't ever think I'll see a bottle again.

As much as I had built this beer up in my mind after finding out everything I could about it, I didn't think it would be able to live up to what I believed it to be. Somehow, M knew my expectations and instead of breaking under the pressure, it stood strongly and proudly saying take it or leave it. Take it, I will. Simply M-mazing!

Review #1,000!

It has been a long but quite fun journey to this special review. My palate has changed dramatically since then and I went from frowning upon barelywines to thoroughly enjoying them. I did not know what to drink for this milestone until I realized this was Midnight Sun's one thousand batch and it just seemed fitting since they are one of my favorite breweries.

I want to give a huge thanks to DarkElf who traded me this bottle. You are a generous guy Stephen and a great part of the beer world. We actually traded in person at Lost Abbey on my birthday, which was also very cool. This beer seemed impossible to track down for the last few years, but you came through for me. I also want to thank my friends Nathan, Wiley, and Bob for coming over and enjoying this brew with me. Although it did not take much persuasion on my part to get you guys to my house last night.

M was brewed on May 5, 2005 during Midnight Sun's tenth year of operation, which makes it nearly three and a half years old. I have heard it has only gotten better with age and think that will be the case for its future. I honestly think this has room for another five years in the cellar.

The eight to ten ounces that I poured for myself were savored for close to two hours and I was sad when my glass was empty. I put the bottle in the refrigerator for about forty minutes prior. I did not want this to be too cold because I wanted to taste all of its true character. I popped the cap off and let it sit for ten minutes before I poured it into my Dogfish Head snifter. Everybody at the table looked at each other after the first sip and agreed it was fantastic.

The appearance of this beer is one that I will never forget. This is one of the darker barleywines I have ever laid my eyes on and I could barely see through it. It was a deep dark brown with some mahogany and dark reds toward the top depending on what shade of light you looked at in. There was a one inch bubbly and fluffy beige head. A simple swirl would cause the foam to rise back up again. The head lasted about ten minutes on its own though. It had great retention and nice lacing as a result. There was some serious legs with some nice residue towards the top. It sat like a pillow and was enjoyable to look at.

The aromas from this beer were one of its best qualities. I am not joking when I say that each time we took a whiff, there was a different scent. It had a big caramel smell, intense malts, and spice presence up front. It was followed by bourbon, oak, and vanilla from its barrel aging. There was also some mild tart in there that seemed like it could be from wild yeast. Then, there was numerous dark fruits with raisins, blackberries, mild coconut, dates, red delicious apples, dark grapes, and bananas. There was also a big grain backbone that was mixed with brown sugar and Belgian yeast. Rounding out the smell was cocoa, butter, sweet cream, toffee, roasted almonds, rum, and angelfood cake.

M's flavor is right on par with the smell but had a few more flavors I could not detect in the aroma. They consited of smoky accents, acai berry, teriyaki sauce, and honey. Each sip was more complex and different than the preceeding. There was not as much oxidation as I thought there would be thankfully. This stuff tasted phenomenal and is piece of art in the form of a beer.

The mouthfeel of M was also incredible. It was silky smooth and intense at the same time. It was sweet with all of its fruit characteristics but not overly done. Its fullness and ability to be both chewy and spicy makes this unparalleled. It had a medium body but nice thickness for its age and the fact that it spent some time in barrels before being bottled. The taste lingers for five minutes after each sip. The carbonation is perfect and has a nice popping sensation but quickly tames. Its thick syrupy feel at times coats the mouth and provides a fulfilling warmth. The sensation is a like a dessert that is to be sipped on and slowly enjoyed.

The drinkability of this beer separates it from any other barleywine I have ever tasted. There is no way this over eleven percent. It seems more like eight or nine if that. I could have drank a couple bombers myself in addition to the glass I had. This is not heavy on the stomach at all and is smooth as can be. It goes down way too easy and I found myself struggling to pace myself. I was full after dinner when we opened it and it still seemed light. That should say something about how light and invitng it is for its strength. The booze are hidden pretty well too and they are most prominent in the aroma. This easiest drinking beer over ten percent that I have ever had. I want more as I type this.

"M" is truly magnificent!

4.67/5  rDev -0.2%

22oz bottle acquired in trade with DarkElf (thanks!).

Poured a dark mahogany color with a smaller sized tan head. Aromas of dark fruits, chocolate, caramel, light roast, smoke, brown sugar, bourbon (not overpowering) and wood. The woodiness came out more and more in the aroma as the beer aired out. Aromas were very complex and I kept getting more as I smelled each time. Tastes of dark fruits (raisins and plums), caramel, earthy / peaty, woody, candi & brown sugar, and vanilla. Very sweet, not cloying, but any sweeter and it would be. Alcohol completely hidden. Creamy body.

The barrel aging was done very well; it complimented both the aromas and tastes nicely.

Notes from and tasted on 3/20/07

4.67/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to Joe for sharing this outstanding brew! 22oz bomber pours a dark brown, opaque, with slight ruby hue in the glass. It has a very port-like nose of dark fruit, vanilla, bourbon, oak gooey malts you can almost taste through your nose. The mouth feel is smooth as silk with very light carbonation. The taste is rich and buttery with molasses, a long sweet finish loaded with dark fruit and bourbon; gotta love this taste. This brew is still very drinkable with the alcohol in the stealth mode; an outstanding finish, kind of like drinking a glass of port wine. Would love to have this superb brew again some day.

A massive thank you to Skyhand for opening this in my presence.

I was ready to classify the body of this one as black and move on but Skyhand urged me to look closer. Holding it to the light brings forth a seductive ruby hue, almost like blood but in this case this liquid is probably more precious to many of us beergeeks.

Notes of dried cherries, vanilla, caramel, raisins and plum skins waft from the glass. It's so easy to smell I don't even need to lower my head anywhere near the glass.

As the first drop hits the tongue flavors coax the tastebuds ... caramel, boysenberry, vanilla, toffee, leather, fleeting coconut, plums and the faintest hint of roastiness in the finish.

This coats the mouth pleasantly. it does so in such a way that even minutes later the flavors stay with the drinker.

Definitely without question one of the finest liquids I've tasted. The only people I would not recommend this beer to are those that suffer from Stendhal Syndrome. This work of art in a glass just might send such people over the edge.

4.47/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours dark brown and nearly opaque, with traces of ruby in the hips of the tulip glass.
A tan head of humble proportions struggled to reveal itself, with a stretch of a pour.
The quarter-inch of foam dissapated quickly, leaving a partial coverage at best.
Susequent swirls of the glass rose up continued frothing easily.
Remarkable in the nose. Heavily laced with thick malt, dried figs, charred oak, bourbon, and port.
Layers of richness continue with shades of leather, sherry, dark rum, toffee, and vanilla.
Mouthfeel is thick and chewy. Quite sticky and somewhat syrupy.
The pallet is rich and decadent.
Caramelized sugars, chewy malt, vineous port, and burnt chocolate bits.
Beneath the massive malt bill and unfermentables lies a cherry-like oxidation and bourbon.
Bitterness and any hopping is negligable, and the vineous nature leans the brew into an "Old ale" stance.
Finishes sweetish with lingering dark rum, port, smoked leather, and caramlized brown sugar.

A totally unique beer, with liquer overtones.

Big props to Tim for hooking me up with this remarkable brew.

4.55/5  rDev -2.8%

Being that there is no more of this, we didn't want to crack one of the twelve in our cellar so we headed out to Cafe Amsterdam where we knew there to be a few bottles left. We last sampled this in September or October and I remember that I thought it still needed more time aging.

Bottled in May of 2005, it's almost a year old.

We bought the bottle for $15 at Cafe Amsterdam (I think we paid $10 a bottle at the brewery back last May).

It pours a dark, opaque, deep brown with a tan rim of big bubbles. The legs would rival any fine wine. Dotted lace clings to the wine glass it was served in.

It has a very port-like nose; dark fruit, vanilla, bourbon, oak - lovely to take in.

The taste has mellowed since the last sampling of this. Starting to lose it's "green" taste. Figs, prunes, molasses, a long, sweet, finish loaded with dark fruit and bourbon. Just a touch of hop bitterness to tame the overwhelming malt sweetness.

Some dribbled down the sides of my glass, very sticky on the fingers.

Drinkablity, well for this style, I think I could drink another glass. It's definitely more drinkable now than it was a year ago.

The mouthfeel is smooth, creamy, light carbonation, not as full-bodied as I thought it should be, but overall it's coming along quite well. We'll have to try it again at it's one year anniversary.

4.97/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance – This one came out of the bottle a deep, almost black color with a thick, easy brown head.

Smell – The thick, rich yeast is music to my olfactory bulb. It is so rich and buttery that it literally made my mouth water. There’s some strong alcohol in here but it’s so smooth.

Between the rich malts, creamy butter, massive but enticing alcohol, and gooey malts you can almost taste this ale with your nose. There is some toasty notes mixed in with the bread and maybe even a hint of white wine, but overall it just sits on that butter yeast.

Taste – The flavor comes right up to the smell. The big, rich yeast and luscious butter are perfect. It tastes like a perfectly toasted, buttered piece of bread.

Mouthfeel – This ale is full-bodied in the mouth and leaves the sensation of drinking the finest of liquors. It is tingly and fluffy on the tongue and is great to hold in between the cheeks.

Drinkability – I almost feel like I’m jipping the review. It’s not a lot to write for an ale that almost scored an overall perfect 5.0. The ale was just that good, though. I’m hard pressed to remember the last time I enjoyed drinking something this much.

Comments – Big cheers to skyhand for popping this beauty shop at her Bobbing for Beers Ball on Halloween night. The scariest thing of the night is when we all realized that the Midnight Sun M bottle was empty.

4.8/5  rDev +2.6%

One word: "WOW!!!" Just a great beer. I promised myself I wouldn't hand out scores of 5 when I started submitting reviews here, but then I considered that a 5 is defined as "exceptional." This certainly is an exceptional beer in style and taste. There is nothing I can add to the previous reviewers' tasting notes.

If you like American style Barley Wine and Belgian Strong Dark Ale, you will love this beer. Unfortunately, it's a limited edition. I wish I had more than a couple of bottles of this stashed away. It should age well.

Edit: I see that the aforementioned previous reviews have disappeared. Makes my reference look a little silly. Oh, well, no choice but to go have a beer....

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
M Belgian-Style Barleywine from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.