TREAT (Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter) - Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

TREAT (Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter)TREAT (Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter)

Midnight Sun Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

American Porter |  7.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

Intriguing doses of sweet spices, cocoa nibs and pumpkin transform an exceptional porter into a mesmerizing potion. Pour this tantalizing brew into a snifter and experience its many eccentric nuances, which will delight your taste buds.

This is the same award-winning recipe that garnered a GOLD MEDAL at GABF in 2007. Formerly known simply as Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter, we’ve named it T.R.E.A.T.: The Royal Eccentric Ale Treatment.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-18-2005)
1.53/5  rDev -62.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A poured into a tulip. A casual appearance of a head dropped by and left out the back door seconds later. Actually just looks like a coca cola afterwards.

S A blend of spices is present in the aroma coming off. But possibly the wrong blend. The pumpkin tone is there but well hidden.

T Begins with a quick punch of pumpkin that is soon knocked out and stood over by a deep rich chocolate force that is accompanied by a unbalanced booziness.

M Thicker than I would like this beer to be. Almost intolerable with the taste of malt, pumpkin, and combination spices. (spices) Which is probably the problem here for me.

O This is not my first pumpkin beer and I had high hopes, but it fell short. Didnt even finish the bottle. In its defense, it probably needs aging to balance out.

CJS, Dec 02, 2012

Devi0us, Apr 21, 2012

ChrisPro, Dec 16, 2011
2.08/5  rDev -49.3%

Thanks azureoval.

Pours dark brown, good carbonation. Looks like I thought it would.

Smells are SPICY. Nutmeg, cinammon, clove. Some pumpkin in the back, but maybe I'm imagining things and just normally associate pumpkin with nutmeg, cinammon, and clove.

Taste is just too much spice. Overwhelms everything for me. The underlying beer is too thin, not much else pushes through to balance out the spicebomb.

Disappointing. I liked Autumn Maple from the Bruery this fall, and hoped for another hit from Midnight Sun in the pumpkin/spiced/fall category. Struck out instead.

I drainpoured the second half.

caskstrength, Nov 22, 2010
2.1/5  rDev -48.8%

Poured into chalice.

Pours a thin layer of beige head. Color is a caramel copper brown. Decent head retention, but no lace.

Aroma: Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, pumpkin, cocoa, chocolate. Big spices. I also get a bit of vanilla. Too much!!

Taste: Vanilla, cocoa, raisins, nutmeg, cinnamon, chocolate, cloves, and pumpkins. A mass amount of spice.

Mouthfeel: Spiced and dry. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry and spiced.

Overall, I don't think I could use the word 'spice' enough for this beer. That is pretty much all it is. Not for me. Not drinkable at all. I couldn't get through but maybe 5 oz and that was tough.

mothman, Jul 25, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -39%

GrindFatherBob, May 09, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -32.9%

With all these wonderful reviews I decided to pull the trigger and purchase this against my best judgement.

Look: Black and totally opaque with red light traces passing through. 1/4 inch tan head and ok retention

Smell: Notes of cinnamon and pumpkin upfront with notes of chocolate in the middle and the backend has a slight sour note

Taste: The flavor profile of this beer is all the fucking map and not in a good way. It goes from a nutmeg, cinnamon front to a chocolate covered pumpkin sourness on the backend and totally off putting

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation

Overall: I had a hard time drinking this nonsense. The flavors were fighting each other and did not blend together as well as you think they would. For $14.99 this is a totally avoidable beer

DarthKostrizer, Dec 13, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -32.9%

redlegacy, Dec 01, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -31.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle to a snifter

A: Opaque black. Small head dissipates almost immediately. Aggressive, audible fizziness accompanies its demise.

S: Spicy. Cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg-just like it says on the bottle. Spices kinda overpower anything else. Maybe a hint of alcohol.

T: Almost great. Spices dominate, but chocolate and roasty malt are present, which gives it more a more pleasant and complex character than the nose. Just a touch of citrusy hops. Then something I can't identify, but slightly sour, almost metallic comes through in the finish to ruin it all. Okay okay, so maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration. The metallic taste is not terribly strong and certainly doesn't overpower all the other great tastes, but it definitely drops the taste score by about a point or two. Also, rather than becoming more complex as my glass empties, the flavors just seem to mesh into one undistinguishable mass of decent, but not great flavor.

M: Medium body. Oddly, it feels like it's carbonated even though I haven't seen a bubble in my glass since a couple seconds after pouring. Seriously, this beer looks like a really dark, oddly colored wine. It fits the beer well. I think a hefty dose of carbonation would mask the odd flavor, but really the problem there is the taste, not the moutfeel.

D: Overall, this beer is not as bad as my review makes it sound. Still not great, and still not something I'd seek out again, but not as bad as the rest of this review would suggest.

eatabagofbooger, Nov 09, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -29.3%

pours a jet black with a small khaki head, and some lacing.

smell is of spice, some cocoa, and lots of pumpkin.

taste is of strong pumpkin, spice, chocolate, and a little bit of hops in the back, ends with a strong pumpkin aftertaste, and some bitterness.

froghop, Jan 30, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -28%

2007 release, bottles states 7.8%. 22 ounce bomber was $7.99 at Brown Jug Warehouse, Anchorage, AK.

Appearance: deep brown, nearly black, opaque, with a dense but limited medium to dark brown head. Leaves a little lacing. A very nice looking beer.

Aroma: the tiniest hint of spice, although probably only because I'm looking for it. Same with the chocolate. A little earthiness. For such a unique beer, it's quite lacking in the aroma department. Also a slight bit of sour/brettanomyces, which is not, to my understanding, intended (but MSBC has been playing with brett, so it wouldn't be a shock.)

Taste: a hint of spice, a tiny hint of chocolate. That same hint at brett. It's not overpowering, but it is there. Again, any pumpkin and chocolate I get is mostly because I'm searching for it. More spice comes through as it warms to nearly room temperature, but still little to no chocolate. The spice sort of seems like cinnamon, and a tiny little bit of spicy-heat; think something like Mexican hot chocolate spices.

Mouth: Tingly and moderately full, with little to no alcohol warmth, interesting for a 7.8% beer.

Overall: I'm very torn by this beer. I like it, it's quite drinkable, and I'd drink it again. However, I absolutely wouldn't pay $8 for a bomber again (maybe $5.) It's a solid robust porter, a semi-decent imperial porter, but almost zero as a pumpkin porter, or a chocolate porter. I don't know: I guess I feel like if you're going to turn out a unique, out in left field beer like this, it should be a little more, well, unique.

warmstorage, Dec 15, 2007
2.98/5  rDev -27.3%

22 oz. bottle from Jane's Beer Store in Mountain View, CA, poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A: Dark and opaque, essentially no head with only the tiniest wisps of dark tan foam.

S: Very faint. Mostly malt and chocolate with a touch of the pumpkin, but only if you know it's there and are looking for it.

T: I'm not getting any of the pumpkin at all. Dark chocolate, smoky malt, not a large alcoholic bite.

M: Surprisingly effervescent feeling considering the lack of head, not too heavy, syrupy or thick.

O: This isn't a terrible beer, but I also don't feel like there's much to say about it either. Not very pumpkiny, but not a bad tasting beer.

sakana, Nov 07, 2012

22 oz. bottle poured into an Allagash chalice.

Appearance - Black body, khaki head. Settles to a thick collar and an almost continuous surface of bubbles.

Smell - Spicy aroma. Cinnamon probably the only distinguishable one for me. Pumpkin blends with chocolate. Nice.

Taste - Well it starts off very nice. Spicy cinnamon, nutmeg, chocolate from the malt. Roasted backbone. The finish is truly bad. I don't know what it is, but there's a lingering bitterness that is just gross.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Nice except for that awful finish. Sits on the palate forever. The only way to get rid of it is to drink more, but then it comes back.

Overall - I can't imagine this is what it's supposed to taste like. Very unpleasant finish. I can't stress that enough. I need another beer.

Alieniloquium, Nov 13, 2012

HumanParaquat, Jul 09, 2013

Pours a pitch black with no color escaping even when held to light. The finger of foam is a creamy espresso crema color, with decent lacing. The nose has a musty belgian yeast quality with all the spices muddled together, roasted pumpkin with really not much else - i cant make out the cocoa at all. The taste is a bit watered down odd at this abv and also oddly very vegetal, almost a raw grassy taste. It carries light cocoa and coffee as well picked up by yeast and a hint of cloves. Not a favorite.

Trilogy31, Sep 23, 2011

ithinkimasofa, Jan 27, 2012

patm1986, Oct 28, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -26.1%

22oz bottle from Malt & Vine, labeled TREAT.

A- Pours a translucent black/dark brown, with a fizzy head that quickly dies down to nothing. Reminds me of a partially flat cola.
S- Overpowering cinnamon, pumpkin. Reminds me of pretty much every pumpkin beer I've had.
T- Pumpkin, spices (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, etc.) dominate hard and early. I get some roasted malts in the finish. It was more pumpkin than chocolate/porter. I would call this a "dark pumpkin beer" and nothing near a porter.
M - Fizzy. Spritzy. Very carbonated for the lack of head on this beer. Medium body, yet fairly smooth.
D- Not much. I opened this as a "treat" to myself on christmas eve (yes, I went there. deal with the pun) and was instantly saddened that I didn't have anyone to share it with and take the load off me. Not for me.

Overall - Not impressed. At all. I was psyched to get my hands on this and it failed to deliver on all aspects. Very one dimensional on the pumpkin front and very little (to no) chocolate or porter. The pumpkin and spices more than dominate the brew and take away any enjoyment from this beer. Not recommended as a porter, however, if you absolutely LOVE pumpkin beers then this is worth seeking out.

mrandypandy, Dec 25, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -25.6%

Bottle poured into my Narke glass, thanks to Mike...Black pour with some decent retention at first, but fades quickly. Light lacing...Interesting aroma that really captures the essence of pumpkin, has some spice and chocolate notes as well. Too much pumpkin for me, but its good...Taste is pumpkin pie on steroids, just terrible. If you like pumpkin then you will like this, if you don't you wont and skip it.

jrallen34, Dec 28, 2010
3.08/5  rDev -24.9%

22 oz. bottle served in a Midnight Sun chub. 2012 vintage. Thanks to mfavoino for the share.

A: Pours a dark black color with some brown edges. A tan head forms on the pour and recedes slowly to a thin ring. Some splotches of lace are left behind.

S: Pumpkin, cinnamon and some oaty malts. Baker's chocolate with some roasted malts as well. The roast is deep.

T: The taste was a let down. Very earthy and bark like with some vegetal like flavors. Minimal chocolate with some light roast. Pretty much dominated by the earthy and vegetal flavors.

M: Medium bodied with a smooth carbonation level. OK light roast finish.

O: The nose was nice, but the taste was overpowered by this earthy-like quality and some vegetal like flavors. Lacked the porter backing I needed. A miss for me, but glad I got to try it.

Treebs, Jan 06, 2013
3.1/5  rDev -24.4%

Pours thick black with ample tan head that falls to thick lacing. Smells like bananas, nutmeg, pecans, slight booze. Taste is subtile at first, chocolate, more bananas (or maybe that is pumpkin?), tart roast balances out the residual sweetness. Mouthfeel is thick and coating, alcohol isn't really noticable, carbonation is almost too high. As it warms I detect the cinnamon more, and more bitter chocolate. Drinkability isn't that high, as one will do me plenty. Definately a holiday novelty beer for me.

youradhere, Nov 20, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -22%

a: pours dark brown and settles in a near black. a thin light brown head fades rather quick. very little lacing.

s: pumpkin, spice and chocolate

t: overly spiced pumpkin pie with a hint of chocolate in it.

m: medium body, creamy, decent carbonation. tongue and back of throat kinda burn from the spice.

o: for a porter this is not a favorite, for a pumpkin beer this would be alright if that is your thang. not my thang.

match1112, Dec 25, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -22%

Pours brownish black with a light tan head.

Smells like spices, some burnt cocoa, and a bit of ... hmm ... pumpkin? Kind of a roasty pumpkin.

Taste isn't as good as the smell. Burnt cocoa, some roasted malt, the spices take over a bit, and the entire thing has a bit much going on. The spices are way over the top.

Decent mouthfeel.

On the whole, I found the entire thing to be a bit palate wearying. Could use more sweetness. Bit dry.

Overlord, Dec 18, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

n2185, Jan 17, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

HopsHopenstein, Nov 25, 2012
TREAT (Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter) from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.