TREAT (Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter) - Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

TREAT (Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter)TREAT (Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter)

Midnight Sun Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

American Porter |  7.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-18-2005

Intriguing doses of sweet spices, cocoa nibs and pumpkin transform an exceptional porter into a mesmerizing potion. Pour this tantalizing brew into a snifter and experience its many eccentric nuances, which will delight your taste buds.

This is the same award-winning recipe that garnered a GOLD MEDAL at GABF in 2007. Formerly known simply as Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter, we’ve named it T.R.E.A.T.: The Royal Eccentric Ale Treatment.

1.53/5  rDev -62.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A poured into a tulip. A casual appearance of a head dropped by and left out the back door seconds later. Actually just looks like a coca cola afterwards.

S A blend of spices is present in the aroma coming off. But possibly the wrong blend. The pumpkin tone is there but well hidden.

T Begins with a quick punch of pumpkin that is soon knocked out and stood over by a deep rich chocolate force that is accompanied by a unbalanced booziness.

M Thicker than I would like this beer to be. Almost intolerable with the taste of malt, pumpkin, and combination spices. (spices) Which is probably the problem here for me.

O This is not my first pumpkin beer and I had high hopes, but it fell short. Didnt even finish the bottle. In its defense, it probably needs aging to balance out. (781 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -48.5%

Poured into chalice.

Pours a thin layer of beige head. Color is a caramel copper brown. Decent head retention, but no lace.

Aroma: Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, pumpkin, cocoa, chocolate. Big spices. I also get a bit of vanilla. Too much!!

Taste: Vanilla, cocoa, raisins, nutmeg, cinnamon, chocolate, cloves, and pumpkins. A mass amount of spice.

Mouthfeel: Spiced and dry. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry and spiced.

Overall, I don't think I could use the word 'spice' enough for this beer. That is pretty much all it is. Not for me. Not drinkable at all. I couldn't get through but maybe 5 oz and that was tough. (644 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -47.3%

Thanks azureoval.

Pours dark brown, good carbonation. Looks like I thought it would.

Smells are SPICY. Nutmeg, cinammon, clove. Some pumpkin in the back, but maybe I'm imagining things and just normally associate pumpkin with nutmeg, cinammon, and clove.

Taste is just too much spice. Overwhelms everything for me. The underlying beer is too thin, not much else pushes through to balance out the spicebomb.

Disappointing. I liked Autumn Maple from the Bruery this fall, and hoped for another hit from Midnight Sun in the pumpkin/spiced/fall category. Struck out instead.

I drainpoured the second half. (608 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -31.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle to a snifter

A: Opaque black. Small head dissipates almost immediately. Aggressive, audible fizziness accompanies its demise.

S: Spicy. Cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg-just like it says on the bottle. Spices kinda overpower anything else. Maybe a hint of alcohol.

T: Almost great. Spices dominate, but chocolate and roasty malt are present, which gives it more a more pleasant and complex character than the nose. Just a touch of citrusy hops. Then something I can't identify, but slightly sour, almost metallic comes through in the finish to ruin it all. Okay okay, so maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration. The metallic taste is not terribly strong and certainly doesn't overpower all the other great tastes, but it definitely drops the taste score by about a point or two. Also, rather than becoming more complex as my glass empties, the flavors just seem to mesh into one undistinguishable mass of decent, but not great flavor.

M: Medium body. Oddly, it feels like it's carbonated even though I haven't seen a bubble in my glass since a couple seconds after pouring. Seriously, this beer looks like a really dark, oddly colored wine. It fits the beer well. I think a hefty dose of carbonation would mask the odd flavor, but really the problem there is the taste, not the moutfeel.

D: Overall, this beer is not as bad as my review makes it sound. Still not great, and still not something I'd seek out again, but not as bad as the rest of this review would suggest. (1,491 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -31%

With all these wonderful reviews I decided to pull the trigger and purchase this against my best judgement.

Look: Black and totally opaque with red light traces passing through. 1/4 inch tan head and ok retention

Smell: Notes of cinnamon and pumpkin upfront with notes of chocolate in the middle and the backend has a slight sour note

Taste: The flavor profile of this beer is all the fucking map and not in a good way. It goes from a nutmeg, cinnamon front to a chocolate covered pumpkin sourness on the backend and totally off putting

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation

Overall: I had a hard time drinking this nonsense. The flavors were fighting each other and did not blend together as well as you think they would. For $14.99 this is a totally avoidable beer (779 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -28%

pours a jet black with a small khaki head, and some lacing.

smell is of spice, some cocoa, and lots of pumpkin.

taste is of strong pumpkin, spice, chocolate, and a little bit of hops in the back, ends with a strong pumpkin aftertaste, and some bitterness. (257 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -27.6%

2007 release, bottles states 7.8%. 22 ounce bomber was $7.99 at Brown Jug Warehouse, Anchorage, AK.

Appearance: deep brown, nearly black, opaque, with a dense but limited medium to dark brown head. Leaves a little lacing. A very nice looking beer.

Aroma: the tiniest hint of spice, although probably only because I'm looking for it. Same with the chocolate. A little earthiness. For such a unique beer, it's quite lacking in the aroma department. Also a slight bit of sour/brettanomyces, which is not, to my understanding, intended (but MSBC has been playing with brett, so it wouldn't be a shock.)

Taste: a hint of spice, a tiny hint of chocolate. That same hint at brett. It's not overpowering, but it is there. Again, any pumpkin and chocolate I get is mostly because I'm searching for it. More spice comes through as it warms to nearly room temperature, but still little to no chocolate. The spice sort of seems like cinnamon, and a tiny little bit of spicy-heat; think something like Mexican hot chocolate spices.

Mouth: Tingly and moderately full, with little to no alcohol warmth, interesting for a 7.8% beer.

Overall: I'm very torn by this beer. I like it, it's quite drinkable, and I'd drink it again. However, I absolutely wouldn't pay $8 for a bomber again (maybe $5.) It's a solid robust porter, a semi-decent imperial porter, but almost zero as a pumpkin porter, or a chocolate porter. I don't know: I guess I feel like if you're going to turn out a unique, out in left field beer like this, it should be a little more, well, unique. (1,556 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -27.6%

22 oz. bottle from Jane's Beer Store in Mountain View, CA, poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A: Dark and opaque, essentially no head with only the tiniest wisps of dark tan foam.

S: Very faint. Mostly malt and chocolate with a touch of the pumpkin, but only if you know it's there and are looking for it.

T: I'm not getting any of the pumpkin at all. Dark chocolate, smoky malt, not a large alcoholic bite.

M: Surprisingly effervescent feeling considering the lack of head, not too heavy, syrupy or thick.

O: This isn't a terrible beer, but I also don't feel like there's much to say about it either. Not very pumpkiny, but not a bad tasting beer. (661 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -26.6%

Pours a pitch black with no color escaping even when held to light. The finger of foam is a creamy espresso crema color, with decent lacing. The nose has a musty belgian yeast quality with all the spices muddled together, roasted pumpkin with really not much else - i cant make out the cocoa at all. The taste is a bit watered down odd at this abv and also oddly very vegetal, almost a raw grassy taste. It carries light cocoa and coffee as well picked up by yeast and a hint of cloves. Not a favorite. (502 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -26.1%

22oz bottle from Malt & Vine, labeled TREAT.

A- Pours a translucent black/dark brown, with a fizzy head that quickly dies down to nothing. Reminds me of a partially flat cola.
S- Overpowering cinnamon, pumpkin. Reminds me of pretty much every pumpkin beer I've had.
T- Pumpkin, spices (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, etc.) dominate hard and early. I get some roasted malts in the finish. It was more pumpkin than chocolate/porter. I would call this a "dark pumpkin beer" and nothing near a porter.
M - Fizzy. Spritzy. Very carbonated for the lack of head on this beer. Medium body, yet fairly smooth.
D- Not much. I opened this as a "treat" to myself on christmas eve (yes, I went there. deal with the pun) and was instantly saddened that I didn't have anyone to share it with and take the load off me. Not for me.

Overall - Not impressed. At all. I was psyched to get my hands on this and it failed to deliver on all aspects. Very one dimensional on the pumpkin front and very little (to no) chocolate or porter. The pumpkin and spices more than dominate the brew and take away any enjoyment from this beer. Not recommended as a porter, however, if you absolutely LOVE pumpkin beers then this is worth seeking out. (1,213 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -24.9%

22 oz. bottle poured into an Allagash chalice.

Appearance - Black body, khaki head. Settles to a thick collar and an almost continuous surface of bubbles.

Smell - Spicy aroma. Cinnamon probably the only distinguishable one for me. Pumpkin blends with chocolate. Nice.

Taste - Well it starts off very nice. Spicy cinnamon, nutmeg, chocolate from the malt. Roasted backbone. The finish is truly bad. I don't know what it is, but there's a lingering bitterness that is just gross.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Nice except for that awful finish. Sits on the palate forever. The only way to get rid of it is to drink more, but then it comes back.

Overall - I can't imagine this is what it's supposed to taste like. Very unpleasant finish. I can't stress that enough. I need another beer. (805 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -24.1%

Pours thick black with ample tan head that falls to thick lacing. Smells like bananas, nutmeg, pecans, slight booze. Taste is subtile at first, chocolate, more bananas (or maybe that is pumpkin?), tart roast balances out the residual sweetness. Mouthfeel is thick and coating, alcohol isn't really noticable, carbonation is almost too high. As it warms I detect the cinnamon more, and more bitter chocolate. Drinkability isn't that high, as one will do me plenty. Definately a holiday novelty beer for me. (505 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -23.9%

Bottle poured into my Narke glass, thanks to Mike...Black pour with some decent retention at first, but fades quickly. Light lacing...Interesting aroma that really captures the essence of pumpkin, has some spice and chocolate notes as well. Too much pumpkin for me, but its good...Taste is pumpkin pie on steroids, just terrible. If you like pumpkin then you will like this, if you don't you wont and skip it. (409 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -23.2%

22 oz. bottle served in a Midnight Sun chub. 2012 vintage. Thanks to mfavoino for the share.

A: Pours a dark black color with some brown edges. A tan head forms on the pour and recedes slowly to a thin ring. Some splotches of lace are left behind.

S: Pumpkin, cinnamon and some oaty malts. Baker's chocolate with some roasted malts as well. The roast is deep.

T: The taste was a let down. Very earthy and bark like with some vegetal like flavors. Minimal chocolate with some light roast. Pretty much dominated by the earthy and vegetal flavors.

M: Medium bodied with a smooth carbonation level. OK light roast finish.

O: The nose was nice, but the taste was overpowered by this earthy-like quality and some vegetal like flavors. Lacked the porter backing I needed. A miss for me, but glad I got to try it. (810 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -21.7%

a: pours dark brown and settles in a near black. a thin light brown head fades rather quick. very little lacing.

s: pumpkin, spice and chocolate

t: overly spiced pumpkin pie with a hint of chocolate in it.

m: medium body, creamy, decent carbonation. tongue and back of throat kinda burn from the spice.

o: for a porter this is not a favorite, for a pumpkin beer this would be alright if that is your thang. not my thang. (424 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours brownish black with a light tan head.

Smells like spices, some burnt cocoa, and a bit of ... hmm ... pumpkin? Kind of a roasty pumpkin.

Taste isn't as good as the smell. Burnt cocoa, some roasted malt, the spices take over a bit, and the entire thing has a bit much going on. The spices are way over the top.

Decent mouthfeel.

On the whole, I found the entire thing to be a bit palate wearying. Could use more sweetness. Bit dry. (441 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

I have been saving this one and thought it would be a good time to finally crack it.

A - pours pretty black with about a 1 finger head that dissipates pretty quickly. Red tint on color shown when held up to the light. Not really any lacing.

S - More malty then I figured, a lot of cocoa and cinnamon with some hints of pumpkin and nutmeg.

T - chocolate, roasted malts, a lot of cinnamon a bit too overpowering. It has a very good initial flavor then unfolds into a spice bomb. A lot of the flavors seem to clash in this one, not as good as I was expecting. This beer might be able to pass as a cola, the alcohol is hidden very well. Halfway done and I am wishing I had someone to share this with, it's cloyingly sweet and tough to do on your own.

M - mouthfeel is very good, porter-like balance with very good carbonation and silky finish. A tad thin, but I think it's the best quality of this beer.

D - I have to admit I am disappointed in this one, it doesn't live up to expectations I set for it. Maybe I am a few months out of season and have to try it again. Drinkability not too good considering I am having a tough time finishing this on my own. (1,157 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -20.5%

A - a little red around the edges with a creamy tan head.

S - spices, pumpkin, chocolate, malts and then more spices.

T - chocolate, nutmeg, pumpkin and malt.

M - medium coating with just a touch of tingle on tip of tongue.

D - one is fine, but too odd for more. (266 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -19%

From the label: "Ale brewed with Pumpkin, Cocoa Nibs, Cinnamon, Cloves, and Nutmeg."

Ever since I heard of this brew, with all these cool ingredients thrown into the mix, I just had to try it myself. A porter with all this stuff? You have to be kidding. A big thanks to akbeerfiend for giving me the chance to finally check this one out.

From a bomber into a snifter
Vintage: 2010

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger, medium looking, and very noisy head with decent retention. Sorry? I can't hear you. Dark brown pour, sits black in the glass with minimal carbonation evident. Head quickly fades to a ring, which remains until the end, but leaves no lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Dark malts, some roasted malts, with some coffee and notes of pumpkin in there. Hints of cinnamon and cloves as well. Quite complex and interesting, but not quite bold enough to be impressive.

TASTE: Interesting stuff. Dark malts, with pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg for sure. Plenty spicy through the middle with a good dose of sweet nutmeg and cinnamon notes into the finish. Notes of coffee and chocolate after the swallow. The ingredients are all there, and the flavor profile definitely tells a story as well. A slightly roasted and spicy aftertaste, with some sweet nutmeg and bitter coffee along for the ride, is mild yet lingering. Though I'm not sure this was my cup of tea, it was certainly complex, flavorful and interesting.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Somewhat creamy on the palate, goes down fine, slightly prickly after the swallow, and finishes slightly dry on the palate.

OVERALL: Definitely an interesting ale, with lots of complex flavors worth pondering. The head could shut up and concentrate on being a little more persistent, and the body could be a little bigger, but that's besides the point.

Everything listed on the label showed up at some point, some in stronger doses than others, which made it an exciting ride from start to finish. I have to admit though that I didn't overly enjoy what was going on; however, the brew itself was done very well. I wouldn't jump at the chance to have it again, but I'm very grateful to have had the opportunity to try this one. Thanks a lot for making this happen akbeerfiend. (2,244 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18.8%

For the record, this is not a one-off beer. I am reviewing the 2007 release, and it’s listed as currently on tap for growler fills at the brewery. Also for the record, pumpkin/pumpkin pie spice beers are not my thing.

I’m going to admit that this beer is fairly tasty in “have one a year” sort of way. The pumpkin and spice flavors are there, but are not over the top, and meld nicely with the somewhat sweet, and mildly roasty chocolate flavors of the base Porter. The aroma is exactly what you would expect – roast, chocolate, pumpkin, and spice. Mouthfeel is a bit lacking for a beer of 7.3% ABV, with all of that “stuff” added. Also lacking – in fact, completely absent – is the presence of perceptible alcohol. While this is a significant feat, I don’t find it a positive one. A little alcohol burn, or a bit higher hopping rate, would have given this beer an edge it just seems to be missing.

All in all, no regrets having split a bomber of this. Also no regrets having only bought one. (1,005 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Oh boy. Heard bad things about this year's batch (2012) but good things about the brewery and beer. Expectations are fairly high as a result. Acquired for $16.00 at a local SoCal beer store. 22 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger tan colour head - slightly thin compared to my expectations - of nice cream and good retention. Lacing is okay. Body colour is a solid nontransparent black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Par for a porter, but interesting considering the pumpkin aspect. Looks appealing. I'm excited to try it.

Sm: Pumpkin gourd, dark malts, clove, other spices, chocolate, delightful cream, and buried roast. Spices and pumpkin are dominant. I don't get any coffee. An intriguing, appealing aroma. No yeast character comes through; it doesn't seem alive. No alcohol comes through. It's what I expected - a spiced porter with some pumpkin. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Pumpkin and spice rub up against dark malts and chocolate. There's definite competition going on rather than collaboration; the balance is far from ideal. It's a touch messy as a result. Little roast, if any. Some caramel. The chocolate is too strong for the balance. Spices are indistinct, but I can confirm clove. No yeast or alcohol comes through. I do like it, but the balance is problematic. Tasty but not ideal. It has complexity, but lacks subtlety.

Mf: Some intermittent cream. Smooth and wet all around. Good carbonation and thickness, but it never feels custom-tailored to the flavour profile. Good palate presence.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable, but its current ratings make little sense given the quality. This is nowhere near as good as its overall ratings lead me to believe, but I can see where this year's batch might be lackluster. I'm glad I tried it, and I'm open to trying future years, but this is a bit disappointing. Still, if I take it outside expectations, it's pretty good - just not for the price. My first midnight sun beer has not been impressive, but I'm looking forward to trying others.

B- (2,303 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

TREAT has a body that is the darkest of brown colors, and is almost opaque. The head is also brown, more than two fingers tall and quite fluffy looking. Retention is OK and some lacing is left behind.

The aroma has a lot going on. All of the spices added, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg, are noticeable. Rich malts and a bit of cocoa are in there also. Maybe a hint of pumpkin, but really pumpkin aroma comes from the pumpkin-type spices for the most part.

TREAT is certainly a flavorful beer. Once again, the spices reign supreme. Lots of nutmeg and good doses of both clove and cinnamon, with a lot of spicy cinnamon and some pumpkin flavor in the finish in the finish. Rich malts add a toffee flavor, underneath which is a nice chocolate characteristic from the cocoa nibs. Some hop bitterness is in the background also. The alcohol lends a warming sensation. This beer is kind of all over the place.

A little lighter in body than I would expect, with carbonation on the lower side.

TREAT is interesting, and certainly not bad, but it is a little bit overwhelming. The spices become less and less pleasant the more I drink. (1,127 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -16.8%

Appearance: Dark brown verging on black. Deep reddish brown around the rim. No light penetrates this porter. Tan head dissipated almost immediately. Little bit of alcohol legs but some nice lacing.

Smell: dark chocolate, cinnamon, toasted malty sweetness, subtle nutmeg and cloves, almonds.

Taste: Pronounced nuttiness and chocolate. The spices are not overpowering but become a little chaotic. The pumpkin notes are toward the end of the tongue but become overshadowed by a chocolate bitterness. Spices become more pronounced as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with light carbonation.

Overall: Found this to be underwhelming. It's well blended and there is a satisfying porter underneath but none of the various flavors take center stage and it ends up being kind of meek. (789 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Second imperial porter in a row. Like a somewhat similar brew from Alaskan Brewery, this one too poured a deep black with a head that has very little staying power.

Nose has dominant cola / root beer notes. Light pumpkin aroma and pumpkin pie spices also carry through.

Taste has a somewhat rich delivery, oppulent, warming, and introducing fudge like flavor. Modest carbonation.

Nice to see several Imperial Porters on the market these days. Only wish the price point was more attractive as a $14 bottle makes for limited sampling. (535 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -16.6%

Bottle from 2010 with an year on it.

Pours clear and dark brown with some bubbles but no real head. Smells very spicy, most notable nutmeg, followed by assorted spice and chocolate. Tastes sweet but chocolaty with strong spice, and perhaps pumpkin. I don't think it would have been any better or worse fresh. Mouthfeel is a bummer, thin and overcarbonated. While I wasn't impressed much by any individual component of this beer, I think it's overall a well crafted beer.
3, 3.5, 3.5, 2, 4 (489 characters)

TREAT (Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter) from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.