TREAT (Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter) - Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

TREAT (Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter)TREAT (Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter)

Midnight Sun Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

American Porter |  7.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

Intriguing doses of sweet spices, cocoa nibs and pumpkin transform an exceptional porter into a mesmerizing potion. Pour this tantalizing brew into a snifter and experience its many eccentric nuances, which will delight your taste buds.

This is the same award-winning recipe that garnered a GOLD MEDAL at GABF in 2007. Formerly known simply as Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter, we’ve named it T.R.E.A.T.: The Royal Eccentric Ale Treatment.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-18-2005)
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

Props to a great trader writerLJBerg for passing a couple of these my way. A long desired beer as I enjoy a good Pumpkin during the fall season and have never had this one. Thanks Luke, I'll take more if you please (and if you are interested in trading again).

A - Poured from a bottle into my awaiting snifter. Pours very dark, nearly black, with only a small head that does not hang around too long.

S/T - Tremendous. For me, a perfect blend of pumpkin spices and chocolate with a bit of fudge and molasses all coming together. Not too much of pumpkin as the spices are forward and work with the chocolate to create a great "treat" so to speak. Not overly cloying or over the top but a great combination of flavor.

M - Very nice, pretty rich.

D - Only a 4.0 for me as I view these as a nice dessert beer as opposed to a beer that you want to drink throughout the course of the evening.

All in all, I really enjoyed this. I have backed off most pumpkin beers, notably Pumpking. This one allowed me to enjoy the experience again. This is really good and I understand why so many people desire this beer. Thanks again Luke for passing my way. More, more, more!

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured into a tulip.

Rich dark black body with a quarter inch of light beige head. Retention is fine, not too much lacing left behind.

Candy cane, nutmeg, cloves, hot cocoa and pumpkin pie. It smells like Christmas and Thanksgiing rolled into one (whihc is weird, since it seems Halloween themed)

Tastes like pumpkin pie drizzled in chocolate and some crushed up espresso beans. Seriously, delicious!

Mouthfeel is light and full bodied. Smooth and creamy.

God I would love to try this with pumpkin pie. Seriously great beer.

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

she is welcome back! split this with the good lady. almost black, decent carb. smells ridiculous, nutmeg and cloves, chocolate, little cinnamon and roast.
tastes phenomenal, brings me back to my last week in alaska this summer when we had a bottle of the 09. well balanced, big on the cloves, followed by nutmeg and chocolate, there is a little roastiness and cinnamon, extremely well-balanced. not really sweet, just slightly. almost no pumpkin, just the spices dominating, but it is lovely.
sticky, not too sweet, roasty, spicy, f'in great.

2.8/5  rDev -31.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle to a snifter

A: Opaque black. Small head dissipates almost immediately. Aggressive, audible fizziness accompanies its demise.

S: Spicy. Cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg-just like it says on the bottle. Spices kinda overpower anything else. Maybe a hint of alcohol.

T: Almost great. Spices dominate, but chocolate and roasty malt are present, which gives it more a more pleasant and complex character than the nose. Just a touch of citrusy hops. Then something I can't identify, but slightly sour, almost metallic comes through in the finish to ruin it all. Okay okay, so maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration. The metallic taste is not terribly strong and certainly doesn't overpower all the other great tastes, but it definitely drops the taste score by about a point or two. Also, rather than becoming more complex as my glass empties, the flavors just seem to mesh into one undistinguishable mass of decent, but not great flavor.

M: Medium body. Oddly, it feels like it's carbonated even though I haven't seen a bubble in my glass since a couple seconds after pouring. Seriously, this beer looks like a really dark, oddly colored wine. It fits the beer well. I think a hefty dose of carbonation would mask the odd flavor, but really the problem there is the taste, not the moutfeel.

D: Overall, this beer is not as bad as my review makes it sound. Still not great, and still not something I'd seek out again, but not as bad as the rest of this review would suggest.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber served in a Darkness tulip

A - Black in color, with a small brown head which dissolves in a matter of seconds and decent lacing

S - Milk chocolate, pumpkin pie - cinnamon, nutmeg, and a dash of ginger

T - Pumpkin pie spice, hot chocolate --> milk, more cinnamon and nutmeg --> finish is darkish chocolate...nicely done

M - Medium-bodied, decent carbonation

D - Pretty good for a sweet beer - probably due to the spices; that said, I'm glad I split a bomber.

This lived up to my expectations as a pumpkin pie / porter fan. It didn't blow my mind, but I'll be more than happy to drink this whenever the opportunity arises.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

I meant to drink this for Halloween but got caught up with everything else. 2009 bottle from a friend. Poured into new Belgium tulip.

A: dark opaque black, brown visibility in the light. Not much of a head at all.

S: wow! Alot going on here, strong scents of clove, nutmeg and pumpkin. The chocolate is up front when I cracked this open but now the other scents dominate. The scent has an almost mint characteristic to it.

T: dark fruits, tobacco and again a slight almost mint finish. I can only assume this is the cloves shining through. This is one of the most complex beers I've had in some time.

M: rich and full. Great heavy malt feel, perfect to compliment the intentions.

D: this is a great beer to end an evening with in the fall and I look forward to having it fresh to compare with this slightly cellared version. I would say this is probably the ultimate Halloween beer.

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

22oz bottle into snifter.
'09 vintage.

The body is solid black with a 1 finger thick tan colored head that dissipates into a thin ring of foam around the rim of the glass.

The aroma is of strong cocoa, with hints of cinnamon, nutmeg and assorted spices. There are only very faint notes of pumpkin, with also hints of dark fruit.

The taste consists of a stronger emphasis on the dark fruit notes, with a good chocolate malt backing. The spice notes offer just a kick to keep things interesting without becoming over bearing.
The mouthfeel is big and full bodied, with the ABV extremelly hidden.

I really enjoyed this beer, as I found all of the ingredients listed were capable of being picked out. It was a very interesting take on a pumpkin beer and I think the darker malts and cocoa really helped to balance out the pumpkin and spice notes.

4.08/5  rDev 0%

Well today is Bendurgin's day to bring the bottles. Into a White Birch chalice. Black body with medium tan bubbles. Not much head. A decent amount of lacing lines the glass.

This one has a very strong aroma. Lots of cinnamon. That's the only spice I'm confident enough to pinpoint, but I'm sure there are others. A nice fruity aroma follows. Maybe it's a hint of cherry.

This is immediately spicy. Lots of spice character, followed by the vegetable flavor which is very noticeable (after the cinnamon of course). There is also a nice chocolate sweetness that goes nicely with the creamy mouthfeel. Not a lot of roasted flavors or bitterness, adding to the drinkability.

There are a lot of flavors going on here so that adds to the taste. Really unique, and interesting. Very enjoyable.

4.08/5  rDev 0%

Big thanks to Oregonskibum for sending me this sweet bottle. Poured into a tulip. The body is black with about two fingers of mocha colored head that dissipates into minimal lacing. The nose is simply entrancing. Big aromas of chocolate, pumpkin, cloves, nutmeg with a slight sweetness. Wow. This is a killer aroma. The taste is a bit toned down from the aroma. Chocolate malts, a nice hearty pumpkin flavor and a spicy cinnamon/clove finish. The flavors are very well balanced with nothing really overpowering anything else. The mouthfeel is slightly thick and the carbonation is moderate. Drinkability is great, but I can only imagine having this in October.

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

With All Hallows Eve right around the corner, it was a perfect night to break out this beast. 2009 bottle received in a trade with my good mate JohnGalt1.

A: Very dark brown, with just a glimmer of light sneaking through. Gooey white head clings to sides of glass.

S: Spices catch jump out first - cinnamon and cloves I think. Nice roasted and smokey dark malt smell that's a little different from your typical porter. I'm guessing that's the pumpkin effect.

T: Very similar to aroma. Roasted smokey base porter is very nice, as has been the case with all the dark beers I have had from MS. Additionally, there's lots of nutmeg - which is a first in a beer for me - along with some clove and cinnamon. Slightly sweet cocoa, and again, the musty pumpkin is pretty subtle. Finish is long, lightly smokey and sweet.

M: Medium bodied with full carbonation.

I'd dial back the nutmeg but this is the best Pumpkin Ale out there in my opinion.

Thanks Toby!

4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

big thanks to oregonskibum

poured into a wide tulip.

dark brown with the most smooth and creamy head I have ever seen, almost like a pour from a nitro tap....

the aroma is strong fall spices followed by the slightest bit of chocolate.

the flavor at first is spice and pumpkin. as it warms up the chocolate and the malt start to take over the mid and back palate with the pumpkin and spice being mainly in the front.

This is the best pumpkin beer i have ever had! Glad to know that it is coming to socal in a week or two!

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Big thanks to hopsbreath for this TREAT!

Cracked open and poured into a WB snifter. Pours a somewhat thin, dirty motor oil with a thin mocha colored head that quickly fades into a thin ring of bubbles around the perimeter of the glass. (A subsequent, more violent pour, gives way to a three finger mocha-lific head)
The smell didn't blow my mind - average in most ways. Toasted grains, bittersweet chocolate, coffee, burnt chocolate and burnt graham crackers. I didn't really pick up on the pumpkin or spices.
The taste on the other hand is simply wonderful - a significant improvement over the nose. The pumpkin and spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, clove) are ever present but not dominating. Subtle porter characteristics play in perfectly with this pumpkin inspired brew. As this beer warms up the pumpkin flavors (natural pumpkin) comes through on the back end and really add to the enjoyability of this one. This beer reminds me more than anything of home made burnt pumpkin pie.
I found the mouthfeel to be only slightly viscous, medium bodied with a pleasant carbonation thats makes this one very drinkable. The alcohol in this one is only evident as I get towards the bottom of the bottle.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Had a bottle the other day, and couldn't review it because I soaked my keyboard with Jubelale..

- Nice dark porter looking brew, jet brown... light mocha head.. down to a nice ring of lacing... some floating..

- Wonderful aromas.. roasty grain, chocolate, coffee.. certainly some nutmeg there, almost like a nice buttery crust of a pumpkin pie. Slight earthy woody notes.

- Great blend of flavors, clove and nutmeg really stand out... spicy, grainy, smooth roasty chocolate malts.. perhaps some bittering hop

- Medium to heavy bodied... a rather thick and chewy brew for being only 7.8% alc. Slightly sticky sweet

- Overall very balanced, drinkable, and not overly sweet. I am not a fan of brews like this that get too sweet. High marks on this number.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to Jdiddy for cracking this one open. Served in a tulip. Pours the color of cola with a thin swirl of tan-colored foam and a thin, tight band around the edges of the bowl. Huge nose - cinnamon, all-spice and cocoa towards the back. Taste follows nose - it is amazing how the distinctive qualities in the nose coalesce nicely in the flavor profile without being jagged. There's also a bit of an earthy quality, with the cocoa really asserting itself. The flavors start out well-rounded up front with the spices coalescing nicely. A hint of char comes out towards the back. Mouthfeel is is medium-light, with an easy carbonation. This is perhaps one of the best, if not the best, pumpkin beers I've had to date. Incredible complexity and flavor; however, it can be a little cloying in large quantities. Best shared with a few friends.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

bottle opened by klikger and graciously shared.

a - pour is black with a brown head.

s - smell is pumpkin pie, and good pumpkin pie. not one of those pumpkin pie from the store that is half cinnamon....this is one that grandma made. i don't smell much chocolate though.

t - taste is pumpkin and pumpkin spice obviously. I don't care much for pumpkin beers, but this is good. getting more of the chocolate in the flavor, but still not that much. I think it balances out the pumpkin spice very well, creating a enjoyable drink rather then a spice bomb. some hops on the end, but subtle.

m/d - medium body. good carbonation. very drinkable.

3.33/5  rDev -18.4%

From the label: "Ale brewed with Pumpkin, Cocoa Nibs, Cinnamon, Cloves, and Nutmeg."

Ever since I heard of this brew, with all these cool ingredients thrown into the mix, I just had to try it myself. A porter with all this stuff? You have to be kidding. A big thanks to akbeerfiend for giving me the chance to finally check this one out.

From a bomber into a snifter
Vintage: 2010

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger, medium looking, and very noisy head with decent retention. Sorry? I can't hear you. Dark brown pour, sits black in the glass with minimal carbonation evident. Head quickly fades to a ring, which remains until the end, but leaves no lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Dark malts, some roasted malts, with some coffee and notes of pumpkin in there. Hints of cinnamon and cloves as well. Quite complex and interesting, but not quite bold enough to be impressive.

TASTE: Interesting stuff. Dark malts, with pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg for sure. Plenty spicy through the middle with a good dose of sweet nutmeg and cinnamon notes into the finish. Notes of coffee and chocolate after the swallow. The ingredients are all there, and the flavor profile definitely tells a story as well. A slightly roasted and spicy aftertaste, with some sweet nutmeg and bitter coffee along for the ride, is mild yet lingering. Though I'm not sure this was my cup of tea, it was certainly complex, flavorful and interesting.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Somewhat creamy on the palate, goes down fine, slightly prickly after the swallow, and finishes slightly dry on the palate.

OVERALL: Definitely an interesting ale, with lots of complex flavors worth pondering. The head could shut up and concentrate on being a little more persistent, and the body could be a little bigger, but that's besides the point.

Everything listed on the label showed up at some point, some in stronger doses than others, which made it an exciting ride from start to finish. I have to admit though that I didn't overly enjoy what was going on; however, the brew itself was done very well. I wouldn't jump at the chance to have it again, but I'm very grateful to have had the opportunity to try this one. Thanks a lot for making this happen akbeerfiend.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

enjoyed on 9-21-10, thanks scott!

deep brown, pinky finger of off-white head, much darker than expected. a very welcome change.

smells of cloves and allspice, perhaps? the combination of spices is enough to muffle each contributing spice, so that "pumpkin pie spices" is about as honest as i can be. dark chocolate also present, with a nice touch of smokiness.

taste is a nice blend of smoky dark chocolate, then the blend of spices. not too much else here, but well above average for the pumpkin ales ive tried.

mouthfeel is medium with moderate carbonation.

drinkability is average. i suppose average drinkability is how id describe pumpkin ales, personally.

the dark appearance and the prominent chocolate do well to differentiate this beer from the other pumpkin ales ive had. at the same time, they lead me to expect a heavier, thicker beer. this beer leaves me desiring an imperial stout with pumpkin influence. mmm!

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Dark as cola and roasty, toasty cocoa goodness. It is almost like chocolate syrup in your mouth toward the end of the mouthfull.

I don't know that I taste anything that is typical pumpkin beer flavor, but it is oh so chocolately. I'd like to remove the pumpkin and taste this beer.

Appearance--super dark, pretty much flat with just the littlest bit of lingering foarm particularly around the edge as it sits.

Smell--definitely something but I can't name it.

Taste--just chocolately. I don't know what they did but it is like a good mixture of cocoa powder and Hershey's syrup that doesn't hit until mid-palate.

Mouthfeel--somehow thin but structured and syrupy but not sticky. A little wild.

Drinkability--8% and I could drink it almost effortlessly. A bomber goes down nicely.

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

Shared tonight with a good friend who is shipping out to Iraq in a week or so. God Speed buddy and don't be Jihad Bait.

Poured into my Old Guardian goblet... thin short lasting dark tan head.. the brew is basically black.. no real highlites.

Nose is pumpkin pie spices... lite cocoa... more spicey than I remember the Oaked big brother..

Flavor is pretty okay... I don't normally appreciate pumpkin spiced beers, but this is a lesser evil.. nutmeg and clove seem to be the big players.. cinnamon shows with warmth... the malts help tie things together.. A good porter shows as a base, but the spices are too much for my liking.

Body is better than the Oaked version.... carbonation is perfect... Glad I had someone to share this with... Kennedy, be safe, I'm proud to call you a friend.

3.5/4/4/4/3

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

2009 vintage kindly shared by Jeremy and Karen - thanks guys! Pours a rich and deep brown that borders on black in the centre and only lightens slightly at the edges. A huge tan head caps the beer off and lays down some nice lace as it drops to about half a finger. Chocolaty and dessertesque, which sets the table nicely. Sweet milk chocolate mingles with pumpkin pie filling and musky spices in the aroma. There's definitely strong notes of cinnamon, clove and nutmeg in there (a quick run to the spice cupboard confirms this). It has a wonderful smell, but my one criticism is that the chocolate seems to dominate slightly, and I think a more harmonious balance could have been achieved.

The flavour proves to be a carbon copy of the aroma, with a sweet and spicy blend of chocolate and pumpkin, again with the chocolate more to the fore. It actually works surprisingly well and is a nice experiment and twist on the traditional pumpkin beer, though I would like to see more pumpkin. The ABV is non-apparent, and well-hidden, even if it straddles the boundary between imperial and regular strength beer. Medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

A very decent and enjoyable beer - neither my favourite pumpkin or porter, but perhaps my favourite pumpkin porter!

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass. Big thanks to piclee for a chance to try this one.

3.5 A: Pretty much black in color. One finger of frothy light brown head with poor retention and only a touch of lacing.

4.5 S: Pumpkin pie hits you first. There's some pumpkin as well as plenty of the pie spices: clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamon. Chocolate next stemming from the cocoa nibs. The underlying porter is pretty well hidden below the spices. Very nice, but I would prefer an extra kick from everything.

4.0 T: The first sip was divine: awesome mixture of pumpkin pie, chocolate, and porter. However, as you drink this more, the thrill dies out. It's still very tasty, just not mindblowing like the first sip. The pie spices works really well with the chocolate, this might be something I'll need to brew. The porter comes through a lot mor in the taste than in the nose. Slightly charred roastiness with an otherwise clean maltiness.

4.5 M: Lighter medium to medium body. Would prefer a thicker body, but this is okay. Really creamy, which I love. Good here.

4.5 D: This is definitely among the better pumpkin brews I've had. I'd love to have this again. If it holds up well, I might as well trade for a lot of them. The dark flavors and chocolate are awesome with pumpkin and pie spices.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

thanx to smutty33 for trading away to get this and crackin with me.. awesome brew! gotta review cuz i see not many and i think i was lucky to try this.

A - Pours a nice dark brown color.. not a big head but that was okay.. looks thick and is fun to swoosh around the glass as the lacing is very nice.

S - Smell the pumpkin spice! not overbearing.. reminds me of some pumpkin beer smell that is common with many of them.. not a heavy artificial smell though.. this has a good solid real kinda smell to it..

T - Very silky smooth.. love this pumpkin flavor.. i probably think souther tier pumking might be my favorite pumpkin beer, but wow this is damn close.. has a great aftertaste i thoroughly enjoyed this.. it was tough letting this warm up i wanted to gulp it down immediately. i think this is an A beer..

M - very silky smooth.. the chocolate and pumpkin taste go toghether so nicely!!

D - Sorry i didn't get to have more but i appreciate that i even got to try this. i know i will never see it in a store but if i did this is an obvious one to grab!!!

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

Bottle shard by Devin, thanks. Beer is black and forms a thin brown head of small and medium bubbles that leaves no lacing on the glass.

The aroma is like a pumpkin pie with a little roast. Aroma is pretty strong. Some people thought that this was oxidized but I didn't agree. Mild chocolate in the aroma.

Beer is medium bodied and quite spicy with nice levels of chocolate. Moderate roast / ashiness in the back. I got a little more of a pour and it was quite good. Again, I don't get any oxidation but its a pretty good beer. Not a beer I would normally want to drink on a hot summer day in D.C. but it was a nice treat.

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

22 oz bottle shared 4 ways. This one had been on my wants list a long time. From notes.

Pours dark brown or black, depending on your mood. Small lighter brown head. Aroma is exactly what the label promises. Pumpkin pie spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, clove) overtop of pumpkin which is a little bit more difficult to find. Classic porter aromas as well, some chocolate, roastiness. Taste follows the nose. Cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and pumpkin with a porter underneath. I feel like a similar beer could be produced by simply mixing your favorite porter and pumpkin beer and playing with the proportions. I'm thinking I'd like to try punkin' ale from dfh and founders porter. Mouthfeel is thick for a porter, but pleasant nonetheless. Highly drinkable, would pair very nicely with any number of holiday desserts.

A very good beer, but in the end I feel a bit let down. There's so much going on that I feel like the final product ends up being less than the sum of its parts. It just didn't totally come together for me in the end.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a dark brown color with a tan head. The aroma is pretty strong with notes of pumpkin and ginger. For the flavor I get chocolate, pumpkin pie spices (ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves) and some pumpkin. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very good beer.

TREAT (Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter) from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.