Berserker Imperial Stout - Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

Berserker Imperial StoutBerserker Imperial Stout

Midnight Sun Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2005

Vicious and viscous, this menacing brew pours opaque black with a creamy maduro-colored head. Its aroma offers seductive whiskey, chewy red wine, dark fruit and lavish tobacco. Berserker Imperial Stout invades your taste buds with in-your-face flavor. Weighing in at almost 13% alcohol by volume, Berserker is completely out-of-control. Give it a good fight. Berserker Imperial Stout was aged in both red wine and whiskey barrels.

Original release of Berserker was at 10.4%, subsequent vintages have gone upwards of 12.7%. When reviewing, please list beer vintage and that vintage's specific ABV.

4.37/5  rDev +0.9%

I do agree with several arguing about IPAs and hot food that IPAs and Hot wings do not pair that nicely I prefer an unfiltered yeasty wheat beer (like Upright's four).
Appears solid pure black with a very dark born head that is about an inch or two high.

It smells of coconut, vanilla, and bourbon. I get a slight alcohol "burn" smell. I also get a sweet toffee/ burnt caramel smell.

I get a nice smooth bourbon flavor. A solid vanilla and coconut flavor is present. I get a bit of a toasty burnt caramel flavor as well. There is a bit of a molasses like sweetness. The beer is pretty thick and heavy, yet smooth.

The carbonation is moderate low for this ale. The mouthfeel of this ale (stout) is very thick and syrup like. It is very smooth.

It is a thick heavy beer but it is very smooth and it goes down easy.

Overall a great easy to drink imperial stout. This is actually a good imperial stout for those not familiar to the style because it is so smooth and well balanced. (984 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +5.3%

2009 vintage, 12.7 abv. Poured from a bottle courtesy of screamforme into a dogfish head signature glass. The beer pours a thick, viscous black, one of the blackest beers I have ever seen. There is a dark mocha head that reveals more carbonation than expected. As the head fades to a tight ring there is a slight amount of oily lacing on the glass.

The smell is rich dark chocolate, freshly roasted expresso, dark fruits (cherries and raisins), bourbon, tobacco and sharp tones of molasses. There is also a maple syrup sweetness that backs all the components nicely.

The flavor is full of dark chocolate, roasted malts, molasses and chewy dark fruits. The dark cherry qualities really shine as they pair with the maple syrup sweetness, they balance out the roasted and bitter flavors of chocolate and coffee. This is not the most complex imperial stout I have ever had, but it is one of the better tasting ones for sure.

The mouthfeel is as thick and viscous as the beer looks, but the beer is also more carbonated than most at this high an abv. The flavors are very well balanced, there is a nice dry finish and the alcohol adds a nice component to the flavors and provides a nice warmth in the belly. This is a great imperial stout. (1,238 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2012 bottle. label reads "ale brewed with maple syrup and molasses and aged in oak bourbon barrels"

A - Pours like motor oil. Looks absolutely beautiful. A thin head of a color I don't think I've seen before in a beer. I'd liken it to that of a burnt sienna crayon, and it looks fascinating on top of the thick, dark stout - like some primordial ooze. We're off to a good start.

S - Rich and inviting. Somewhat hard to distinguish particulars but I would describe it as charred gooey molasses, wood, cocoa and bourbon. Very distinct.

T - A liquid representation of the nose. The bourbon is a bit more present here. Definitely enjoying this.

M - As expected. Full bodied. Perfect medium level of carbonation. Alcohol is present, but takes a back seat making this very easy to drink. Too easy by how quickly it is disappearing.

O - The description on the bottle gave me high hopes, and this did not disappoint. I am thoroughly enjoying this one. (949 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

2010 on tap at Big Wood.

Waiting and waiting and waiting. Finally, after many a brusque "no, it's not on yet" from a harassed bartender, it appeared, black, cavernous, a hole to the center of the earth. Very low carbonation, swirled thickly, begrudgingly. I have been wanting to try this forever and failed in Alaska this summer (of course) but here it was, before me, spewing strong and volatile alcohols like spittle from my grandfathers mouth. The molasses and maple make themselves known, though I got a great deal more of the maple myself. Some roast and some chocolate. I didn't really get much of the wine barrel influence, but perhaps that just added to the well-roundedness of the beer. Exceptional with a very long tender finish when warm, warming the soul with a war story from the good old days. (808 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

2010 vintage, 12.7% ABV. 22oz bomber poured into snifter; huge thanks to madvermin for picking this up to share with me, as it has been one of my biggest wants... and it did not disappoint.

A: Pours an opaque dark brown/black, with a finger of extremely thick, frothy brown head. Great retention and spotty lacing, a good looking beer for certain.

S: Huge molasses aroma kicks things off, with a good deal of brown sugar on the side. I'm also picking up great quantities of bittersweet chocolate and hints of coffee; all around, this is a very well balanced smell.

T: Roasted, toasted malts all over the place, along with a ton of sweet chocolate flavors- I don't want to say this quite has a milk chocolate flavor (there is a good deal of bitterness in there), but it's quite sweet for sure. Long, lingering, bittersweet, malty, nutty, chocolate finish is simply outstanding; one of the best finishes I've ever encountered, which is both hugely enjoyable in itself and begs me to take another sip. After a while, the finish devolves into a straight up roasted flavor- wholly enjoyable, and a rarity, even among imperial stouts. Light coffee and moderately strong vanilla flavors also show up in the flavor... wow, this is good.

M: Medium-bodied, especially so for an RIS. Moderate carbonation leads to a very creamy, very smooth texture, that leaves a dry, but just barely sticky finish behind.

O: Amazing. Outstanding. I'm running short on descriptors for this beer; I am having a hard time rationing this glass for myself. Can't wait until I get a chance to try it again; very, VERY highly recommended if you ever get a chance to pick it up, or trade for it. Definitely worth a trade for some of the more highly touted beers (Dark Lord, Darkness, etc.).

After finishing my glass, I can honestly say this is one of the finest beers I've ever had (at the time of this review, second only to Mikkeler Beer Geek Brunch Weasel, which will definitely need a re-review after this). I highly, HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend this; trade for it, or buy it, if at all possible. Outstanding beer all around. (2,099 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -15.9%

22oz bottle, split 4 ways.

A: Color the same as the heart of its namesake. Thin lazy mocha head. Slides and oozes on the rim.

N: A blitz of bourbon and maple. Molasses is present as is chocolate, caramel, and vanilla. T: Bourbon, caramel, chocolate, and a twinge of metal. Cherry and...sourness? It’s more of a coffee like acidity or a vinous quality. Molasses might be a culprit, too. Can’t say I’m thoroughly enjoying it.

M: Thick but not perfectly so, filling, alcohol is well hidden.

O: I can see why people might think this is infected. It’s missing that the thick treacly element it should have. Well balanced but just off in a way I can’t quite put my finger on. (687 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-black as night, completely opaque. Half-finger dark brown head that remains.

S-lots of toffee, maple, wood, bourbon,

T-dark chocolate and oak up front. more subtle bourbon tones follow with a dry finish.

M-little to no carbonation and very rich. Thick beer

O-Really nice offering here. Although they may be different styles, I prefer arctic devil to this one. The alcohol does catch up on this one and is pretty hard to have more than a small pour. (455 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Somewhat bizarrely, the weakest part of this beer for me is the actual taste. It pours motor oil thick and black and has a sharp but weak oak smell to it. Has a slight, slight boozy taste with a thick but not chewy mouthfeel. For my personal tastes, I wish this had some bourbon to it, but a great, great stout as is. Get this. You will be pleased. (348 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%

2012 Vintage

A: Impressively black. Dark brown head with legs, it taints the glass brown. Beautiful stout.

S: Toffee, toasted marshmallow, vanilla-oak, bourbon, slightly nutty, brown sugar. Lots of barrel and dark fruit. A bit boozy, but this is a very young bottle that will definitely improve with age. Fruitier and less chocolaty than I generally encounter in this style.

T: Silky smooth dark caramelized fruits, licorice and burnt sugar at first, then the barrel treatment takes over. Not the 'sweet vanilla' bourbon bomb I associate with this style, the barrels make this really unique. Finishes with lots of oak, kind of nutty. Fabulous.

M: Excellent texture with lasting creaminess. A sipper for sure, but a great one. (730 characters)

4.26/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Rudylaw, truly a gentleman. Also thanks to James, another gentleman.

The appearance is dark black, whats new right? It has dark cherry edges and a head that is inspiring. The head on this think was almost black, it was the darkest brown I have ever seen foam on a beer. It did not stick around for a while and just ended up leaving completely, but I was awe stuck by the color of it. Incredible.

The smell was of earthy grains and sweet wines, not very strong overall though.

The taste was very unique and entirely enjoyable. Dark roasted grain that produces a earthy flavor that reminds me of chewing on black patent malt. There are very sweet cherries in the mid palate that pair with a sweet wine that is unique. I also got more than a few tastes of maple syrup, delicious. Towards the end of the bottle more of the ABV and wine characteristics take shape and present something very sweet. I like this a lot.

The mouthfeel was perfectly carbonated and sat on the palate very well. It was not too thick, and for the flavors that were involved was perfect.

The drinkability was good, but a dessert or after dinner beer is best used to describe this one. There was a bit of an astringency that was brought up from the cherry and wine notes that was interesting, but distracted from other things going on. Very glad I got to try this one.

(1,361 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

No vintage marking on bottle, but it's marked as being bottled N-2 (November, week 2). 12.7% abv, 22 oz. bottle, shared by Dankbeers619. Thanks Kyle!

A - Dark brown colored with a small, short lived tannish head. Lingering whispy bubbles and a small ring around the glass. Little lacing.

S - Sweet dark malts, ripe fruits, and a bit of roast. A little bit of caramel and vanilla. Slight alcohol is perfumy and pleasant.

F/M - Rich chocolate, caramel and vanilla. Dark fruit-like esters with a nice alcoholic bitterness. A little warm on the palate, but it isn't too detracting. Sweet bourbon notes. Medium full bodied, a little oily up front, but doesn't finish too sweet. Lingering caramelly chocolate flavors.

O - What a great beer. Nice stout body with very pleasant bourbon barrel characteristics. I wish this beer was easier to find as I'd be drinking a lot more of it. (878 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

22oz poured into tulip. from notes

I have been waiting to get this for a long time and was finally able to land one. Thought this would be suiting for my 100th.

This pitch black beer pours with a medium, tan to straight brown head, lacing was minimal. The nose is mostly molasses with some dark fruits. Taste is incredible, molasses, maple, vanilla, oak. If taste could represent inanimate objects, this would be a log cabin. Mouthfeel is very heavy, creamy and balanced. This is a sipper but a sipper I would love to drink everyday. Amazing beer from an amazing brewery. (573 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -6%

This beer is awesome. Bottle, 2012 vintage. Black, inky black. Tan head with a bit of lacing, but not much. Some retention, but nothing impressive. Does not quite have legs. Aroma is subtle and complex. Bourbon, barrel, toasted marshmellow, chocolate, and alcohol. The flavor brings toffee, vanilla, more toasted marshmellow, and fainter chocolate. The mouthfeel is nice, full, chewy, and actually dry on the finish thanks to the maple syrup. Not even that hot for the alcohol content. This is a superb brew. (508 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Fresh 2009 bottle, labeled 12.7% abv. Poured in a big wine glass at 54F.

Pours black, and thick looking. Very dark red-brown at the very edge. No head, but an intricately swirled tan film, and a ring of tan froth around the edge of the glass.

Aromas like molasses, burnt green herbs, red wine barrel, and coffee. Some caramel sweetness, but the other elements combine to make the aroma pretty dry overall. Deep and complex, I can't stop exploring this aroma, but it seems a little disjointed. I do like it, and I look forward to seeing if the parts integrate more as this ages.

The flavor is much sweeter than the aroma lets on. The big caramel and prune sweetness is well balanced by coffeelike roastiness, molasses, cola; and dry red wine barrel, but milder and better integrated in the flavor than it is in the aroma. There's some sweet bourbon barrel that I didn't detect in the aroma until I tasted it. Only a little explicit alcohol. The maple syrup that I know is in there emerges after several seconds, near the finish. Interesting to drink, and damn tasty. Long sweet maple-caramel-oak finish, reminding me of tawny port, until finally there is only a dry trace of oak left.

Full bodied and sticky, with fine cushy carbonation. Very highly drinkable.

Great beer, the aroma had me a little worried that it could be dry and disjointed but it wasn't that way at all. (1,378 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Huge thanks to alaskajoe for finally ending my long search for this! 2009 vintage, poured into my North Coast snifter. Sampled first in a 10 stout tasting and finished first.

A nearly black pour with a solid 1-2 inch tan head.

Tons of maple, molasses, vanilla and roasted malts in the nose.

All that and then some in the taste. Chocolate and coffee mingle with all of the sweet smells. This is so amazingly smooth and creamy. Reminds me of Kate in terms of mouthfeel and an overwhelming desire to drink this way too fast.

This is easily among my favorite RIS and will be saving my other bottles for special occasions. (622 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

2013 vintage

22oz bottle into chalice

This stout is mega! Huge aroma, followed by a big, bold flavor of choc, roast, and a sweet finish; bold alcohol heat; well-layered profile; a sipper indeed, but delicious; happy to have tried it! (235 characters)

A: Dark black, brown head. No lacing.

S: Sweet, chocolate, a little coffee, some dark fruit.

T: Dark fruit, coffee, chocolate, and alcohol. Aftertaste of alcohol and chocolate. Lots of apple/cherry/raisin flavor.

M: Dry, good carbonation, non-astringent, non-metallic. Thick, heavy body.

D: Drinks nicely, but very heavy. Hard to drink a lot. (346 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -15.7%

August 2009 Vintage, 12.7 ABV

Jet black pour into a Darkness snifter. Smallish espresso brown head slowly arose, then descended into the blackness leaving a nice ring.

Aroma of plums, molasses, Twix bars, vanilla

Touch of sweet on the nose, which I am guessing is the molasses, with some notes of plum & brown sugar. Dark organic chocolate comes through next. I get the oak in the middle, which dried this one out.

Medium to high carbonation...somewhat fizzy on the tongue. Roasted coffee bitterness. Thick & viscous with a bitter dry cocoa finish. Really gets in the way of the flavor spectrum.

I wish I would have liked this more...the dryness & med-high carbonation were downers for me. (694 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I'm guessing this was the 13' release: 12.7% version aged in oak bourbon barrels, with maple syrup and molasses. Poured from the bomber to a snifter.

A: Poured black, probably the darkest I have seen. Little carbonation and just a tiny dark-brown head.

S: Molasses, vanilla and a little oak from the bourbon barrels, chocolate, coffee, cherry. Possibly some citrus hops, bravo hops?

T: Not surprisingly pretty sweet, but not overwhelming. Big rich and dark chocolate/molasses. Coffee, some bourbon on the taste, but this is mostly a dark and rich chocolate/dessert bomb. Unfortunately for me, a soy sauce finish.

M: Medium to full bodied. Its actually pretty light on the tongue, and could even be described as having a light finish. A little bitter on the end and also a little sticky. None of the flavors really linger like you would expect, except for that weird soy sauce finish.

Overall a good stout, but it's surprisingly light on the tongue, which I think is one of its drawbacks. It's strength was how well the alcohol was hidden. This was actually one of the few stouts I preferred drinking colder, as it warmed I got more of that soy sauce finish, which was a pretty big drawback for me. (1,202 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%

Huge thanks to BrewsB4Shrews hooking me up with this beer. Poured from a bomber into a snifter and split with airohead2001. It's not too often I get to open up a beer with wants to gots ratio of 10+...really excited for this one! This is the 2009 bottle coming in at 12.7% ABV.

A: The first thing that struck me about this beer was how dark the head was. The beer is pitch black with a 1 finger dark brown head. The only beer with anywhere close to as dark of a head is Hunahpu's.

S: The nose on this one is not overly intense, but is very pleasant. I get nice notes of chocolate, cinnamon, molasses, and raisins. This beer is on the sweeter side as far as smell goes but is very complex and deep.

T: This is how barrel aging should be done. I feel that the bourbon is subtle and beautiful, not up front and aggressive like a BCS or Angel's Share. The barrel aging for Berserker enhances the beer, instead of defining the beer. The flavors of this beer come in many layers. The dark fruits in this beer (figs, raisins, plums) come out on the top layer, then in the middle there is some maple syrup and bourbon. Deeper down I get a little bit of alcohol hit and tobacco.

M: I feel that this had an excellent viscosity, but a tad bit too much carbonation. The aftertaste was great and it sits on the tongue very well.

D: For about 13% this beer is super smooth and the alcohol is barely noticeable. This is an example of truly superb drinkability. The only thing that hinders it slightly is the amount of sweetness. Not that it's over sweet, but after more than a glass or two, I feel the residual sugars may catch up with me. (1,630 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9%

From tasting notes

A Pours a black color topped off with a decent brown head.

S Lots going on with molasses, some wood, and chocolate. Pretty sweet smelling.

T Follows the nose with molasses and chocolate,followed by some wine like fruit and some tobacco.

M Very smooth.

Overall this is an amazing stout that is one of my all time favorites. (350 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. Pours a really sexy, velvety, motor oil black. Vicious and thick per the appearance. Really gorgeous 1 finger head, dark khaki in color, that sits pleasantly on top of the luscious black body of this beer. Lacing drapes the sides of the glass rather nicely.

This beer smells nice, tons of cream and a pronounced Kentucky mash or reminiscent of Jameson Irish whiskey. There is also a nice slight oak scent, and some subtle sweetness that lies in the form of darker fruits.

The taste is near perfect. Tons of roasted bitter malts, predominately chocolate. some chewy raisins, cherry, very well done Kentucky mash, nice oak dryness that bites the tongue rather aggressively. A little bit of a molasses flavor creeps through all of the other flavors and adds to a nice touch of vanilla and some light toffee. Very rich and delectable, and the complexity is there. Awesome beer with a relatively light and creamy mouthfeel.

Rereview 3-28-09
The 'Most Epic F'in Tasting Ever'

Wow, this had to be rereviewed after trying the 09 vintage. Th taste and mouthfeel on this are superb. So silky smooth, without the slightest trace of alcohol. The wine barrel shows a little bit more in this vintage. The smell is remarkable, with the maple syrup adding very nicely. The roastiness in the taste is awesome. I. NEED. MORE. (1,346 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Bomber shared by MADhombrewer at a tasting last night hosted by ramnuts. ChaseT, WitchsBrew, TulipSnifter, and black13. 2009 vintage/12.7%ABV. Thanks Ben!

A: Very dark brown bordering on black with a translucent plum border. Nutmeg brown head recedes to nothing. Oily with legs, but no lacing. 4/5

S: Tobacco, smoked meat, soy sauce and a touch of oxidation. This is what a slightly aged bottle of stout is supposed to smell like! Complex and interesting. 4/5

T: Very savory. More of an entrée than a dessert. The meat comes back along with some saw dust. Smoke returns with a very clean stale coffee finish. ABV is nowhere to be found. 4.5/5

M: Moderately thin with no carbonation. Very clean and palate drying. Outstanding. 5/5

O: The best savory stout I’ve had to date. This was my personal standout beer of the night amongst a lineup that showed tons of promise, and I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did. We don’t have these kinds of Midnight Sun beers sitting on store shelves at the moment in Portland and I’m really wishing we did. 5/5 (1,063 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours thick & black like old motor oil. Little head that is dark brown & slightly purple.

Smells like dry red wine, oak, bourbon and black cherries.

This beer is oily smooth. The initial taste is red wine, bourbon & oak. Dark chocolate & molasses lingers on the pallet. The alcohol is well hidden by the complexity of the taste, but it still warms you up. As expected, the alcohol becomes more prominent as you taste & as the beer warms.

Satisfying beer. Well worth the $18 price tag if you like this style. Highly recommended. (532 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A - This is the 2009 version. One thick beer. Looks like motor oil when pouring it into my tulip glass. Produces a small amount of dark brown head that fades quickly. Beer is completely opaque black.

S - Dark roasted malts, maple syrup, chocolate and molasses. A very malt heavy aroma.

M - Full in body, smooth and creamy in the mouth. Thick in texture with subtle carbonation.

T - Nice and roasted malts up front with a little smokiness. A little bit of wood mixed with cherries followed by some coffee and chocolate. Finishes with some earthy hops and a warming feeling from the alcohol. Speaking of which at damn near 13% it's not really noticeable at all.

A nice complex Russian imperial stout with a ton of flavors to tantalize the tongue. Be careful with this one, it's a beast! (788 characters)

Berserker Imperial Stout from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.