Berserker Imperial Stout - Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

Berserker Imperial StoutBerserker Imperial Stout

Midnight Sun Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2005

Vicious and viscous, this menacing brew pours opaque black with a creamy maduro-colored head. Its aroma offers seductive whiskey, chewy red wine, dark fruit and lavish tobacco. Berserker Imperial Stout invades your taste buds with in-your-face flavor. Weighing in at almost 13% alcohol by volume, Berserker is completely out-of-control. Give it a good fight. Berserker Imperial Stout was aged in both red wine and whiskey barrels.

Original release of Berserker was at 10.4%, subsequent vintages have gone upwards of 12.7%. When reviewing, please list beer vintage and that vintage's specific ABV.

Reviews: 272 | Hads: 1,067
4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

Been wanting to try this one for quite some time. Thanks to Orangesol for busting it out at a recent tasting. Poured into a sampler glass, this brew appears black in color with a dark tan head across the top. As it fades, spots of lace stick to the glass and a light swirl revives a finger of strength back to the surface.

The smell of this brew is all over the dark brew spectrum. Notes of dark fruity quality like raisins or plums bring out the focus on alcohol while some deeper earthy noted are also evident. Licorice and tobacco come out more as the brew warms up.

The taste is dark and fruity with more indications of raisins and plums or prunes focusing on the alcohol side of things. More sips reveal more flavoring that is dark and roast grain. A bit of licorice and earthy tobacco follow through into the aftertaste.

This is a medium to full bodies brew with a light level of carbonation that really exaggerates the feel. It is well balanced and enjoyable for it's strength and something I wouldn't mind having again. While I'm not the biggest fan of dark fruity character in RIS brews, this one packed enough depth another character to not let it get distracting. Thanks again Nate for sharing.

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

Awesome bottle received from alaskajoe awhile ago! Thanks!

12.70% version. Sampled on 5/9/10. Poured into a tall tulip glass.

The pour on this one is thick and viscous as I've ever seen. Glugs out of the bottle like used motor oil. Sits densely in the glass. A moderate-sized dark maduro/mocha head slowly rises. Retains decently enough. Left some light lace on the glass. This looks awesome. The first thing I notice in the nose is a tart vinous scent like wine or Port. There's hints of vanilla, booze, and a bit of ground coffee, just faintly. I can tell this has some Bourbon-quality to it for sure.

The mouth, as expected, is creamy, thick, and almost chewable. This just coats the entire palate with its creamy goodness. The first flavor I notice on this one is vanilla. The bourbon notes give this beer a creamy sweetness that is very pleasant. There's also a flavor that I'm going to call 'leather,' not that I have ever eaten leather before, but that's what came to mind. The roasted malts are wonderfully balanced with the sweetness from the bourbon. Mild coffee and dark chocolate noted as well.

This was an excellent beer! I can't thank Joe enough for sending this my way last fall. This one will take a little more work to track down, but it'll be worth your while. Highly recommend.

Early 2010 rate.

Bottle from Todd. Pours thick, inky black with a rich, frothy espresso head. Head and lacing are thick and heavy, and behave oddly. Fascinating to look at. Of course the nose is rich, heavy on dark fruits, dust of coffee, molasses. I don't know if I've ever had a beer that is so creamy in the mouth, almost like a like dark chocolate milkshake. Heavy dark malts, a bitter coffee-like element, vanilla. more discreet slightly woody tones, molasses. F this is good.

After comparing this later in the year directly with some other, more nuanced imperial stouts, I'm docking the score a bit.

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

Had this at a tasting... Finally getting around to typing up my notes from my iphone.

Had an 08 and a 10 side-by-side... Review is for the 08.

Immediately upon pouring, my reaction was,
It's so black! Good for you.
(editor's note: I had JUST watched the movie Hot Tub Time Machine)

It's very very dark. It's dark, it's scary, it's ominous, it's a little sexy in a "I'm not sure I'm ready for this" kind of way. It's like Elvira, mistress of the dark. This is brooding and looming. It is beyond gothic. It makes goth kids look like sparkly vampires.

Dark tan head-- like confectioner's cocoa color. Retention is ok. Lacing is minimal... But fuck is the body dark.

The smell has little hints of cinnamon hiding amongst the standard impy stout smells. Some boozy and oaky and vanilla and chocolatey notes. This thing is all about being in your face. It's impressive. The 10 is much more chocolatey, but as far as it goes, they are both delicious.

The beer is fantastic. I have nothing bad to say about it. The body is strong, if anything I could argue it is slightly undercarbed, but it doesn't hurt the overall drinkability. It sips very very nicely and I'm enjoying it.
I would love to have abottle of this to open every 6 to 8 months and see how it develops.

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I'm guessing this was the 13' release: 12.7% version aged in oak bourbon barrels, with maple syrup and molasses. Poured from the bomber to a snifter.

A: Poured black, probably the darkest I have seen. Little carbonation and just a tiny dark-brown head.

S: Molasses, vanilla and a little oak from the bourbon barrels, chocolate, coffee, cherry. Possibly some citrus hops, bravo hops?

T: Not surprisingly pretty sweet, but not overwhelming. Big rich and dark chocolate/molasses. Coffee, some bourbon on the taste, but this is mostly a dark and rich chocolate/dessert bomb. Unfortunately for me, a soy sauce finish.

M: Medium to full bodied. Its actually pretty light on the tongue, and could even be described as having a light finish. A little bitter on the end and also a little sticky. None of the flavors really linger like you would expect, except for that weird soy sauce finish.

Overall a good stout, but it's surprisingly light on the tongue, which I think is one of its drawbacks. It's strength was how well the alcohol was hidden. This was actually one of the few stouts I preferred drinking colder, as it warmed I got more of that soy sauce finish, which was a pretty big drawback for me.

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

A - Pours black in color with a nice brown, taupe head.

S - chocolates, bourbon, maple, vanilla are all over the nose - lots going on, which is always a good thing

T - starts off with dark chocolates on the front of the tongue. These move on to spicy bourbon and vanilla notes imparted from the barrel aging. Some molasses and a touch of cinnamon are in the mix as well. Really nice complexity on the tongue!

M - medium body and light carbonation; a little dry on the finish

D - really solid RIS by MS. Lots of nice complexity and flavors in the mix here. Highly recommended if you can get your hands on it.

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

Another great BIF beer with the DC group, 2009 vintage. This is my review #400.

Pours a super thick looking jet black, with a great brown head that dies down to a dark ring, looks very nice. Leaves some lacing.

S: Smells great with lots of sweet and malty notes in the nose, plenty of chocolate, caramel, and more. It's not super roasty but it has some great complex sweet notes without having any heat. I get some nice nutty like sweet almond or maybe coconut notes too. Very nice complex aroma.

T: Nice taste, has quite a bit of roast compared to the smell, and not as much complexity in the sweet notes I got in the nose but there is some chocolate. Myself and others agreed that the malt is kind of not there as we thought it would be, a molasses-ness isn't there and i dont get a ton of barrel. Still has some nice flavors, even maybe a little acidity in the front too, and overall a nice coffee roast and some cherry too.

M: Nice feel, it's smooth but the roast is a little astringent and makes it thinner than desired..

O: This beer is great, but didn't wow me like I thought it might.

4.11/5  rDev -4.9%

2012 vintage. 12.7% abv poured into a New Belgium globe.

Appearance: Pours a thick black with a surprisingly big brown head. Recedes to a nice rim around the glass. Great looking stout.

Smell: Big whiskey, bourbon aroma and lots of dark roasted malts. Some light chocolate and booze.

Taste: Roasted malts combine with the whiskey flavor of the barrel. Some soy, then light chocolate and maple sweetness followed by a lingering roasted malt finish.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy with a smoothness that is nice for a high abv beer.

Overall: Love the big barrel flavor and roastiness. I still like Parabola and BCBS better.

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

Interesting, this smells like a chocolate banana malt. The bourbon is mild and the cocoa is big. Thick but manageable, share this with a friend to warm up.

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours basically black in color with some dark brown around the edges. The brown head was short and dense and settled into a light ring.

The aroma is of a heavy roast with some burnt toast and anise. I pick up some boozy red grapes and light bourbon. Faint tart aroma from the oak. Molasses and vanilla help round out the aroma.

The taste is quite bold and has a strong RIS body. Big ole roasted flavor with charred wood, anise and perhaps a subtle hint of smoke. The beer has that boozy red grape flavor that is frequent in the style. The maple syrup and molasses provide a big shot of sweetness. I would say that molasses stands out more than the maple syrup. The bourbon flavor is subtle, could be a little lost amongst the other bold flavors.

The beer is thick with enough carbonation to breakup the body without affected the smoothness. It is sweet and roasty bitter on the palate. It is a bit too sweet and the ABV can pop through. Has a sticky finish.

Very good stout, stays true to its RIS roots. Probably one of the more roasty BA stouts that I have had. I would like to see the bourbon stand out a bit more with less sweetness. Definitely worth a purchase.

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

Thanks to Roland for this bottle. The bottle leaked a little bit during shipping so to be safe rather than sorry, I decided to put this one on ice and drink it right away.

A: The pour is a fairly viscous and black one with a mild tan head forming.

S: The nose is fairly complex with plenty of dark chocolate and molasses coming out right away. The oak and vanilla notes are a bit more subtle and the roast and coffee are not quite as in your face as in many stouts.

T: A pronounced licorice character comes through on the palate that I did not expect from the nose. Again, plenty of molasses and chocolate going on with a fair amount of oakiness. A moderate bitterness is present as well.

M: The body is medium, not quite to the full range, with a smooth carbonation that eventually ended up dying out as I went back for my subsequent pours from the bottle.

D: For a 10% imperial stout, this is quite drinkable, I will say. Not necessarily amazing, but still enjoyable and definitely different.

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

2009 vintage. Thanks to whartontallboy for bringing this last night!

Pitch black pour, mild tan head forms a ring around the surface. There's a significant fault in the aroma that my BJCP-certified gf quickly named, though all I can remember is it smelled like drywall from a construction site. Bleh...

Fortunately, the taste was unaffected: very dark and murky, plenty of chocolate. This is a straight-up RIS along the same lines as Darkness and Zhukov, and (aroma aside) it's just as well-crafted as those.

It's unfortunate that this was opened immediately after an incredible bottle of Cognac DL. I suspect my ratings for Berserker would be higher if that weren't the case. Still enjoyed this one quite a bit though.

UPDATE: The drywall aroma apparently came from my glass, not from the beer. Others who shared the same bottle said it smelled great. My bad!

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Appearance- The glass had no head when I received it but after swirling it around a bit, a dark beige, almost burnt umber foam is revealed. The body is an opaque dark chocolate black. No real lacing is left behind.

Nose- Not much going on at the moment but it really is too cold. After I swirl it a little, roasted notes appear but they are subtle. After some time, the bitter ends of dark chocolate start to show.

Taste- Initially, this is much like the nose. Chocolate with some sour notes starts to emerge. The sweetness is a little cloying. A considerable amount of heat but this begins to diminish. So far, it is a solid imperial stout that has failed to distinguish itself. Dark chocolate starts to dominate with a moderate coffee bitter finish balancing that. Hints of raisins and cherries. Some molasses and brown sugar. Don't really notice much maple syrup. There is underlying saccharine quality that hints at red wine. Shows at lot more complexity and balance as it warms.

Mouthfeel- Heavy bodied with a fair amount of carbonation for the style. Some chewiness and a bit of grit that suggests oatmeal though I do not believe that is an ingredient.

Drinkability- Solid imperial but if it's comparable in price to Parabola, I would just get some Parabola. Fairly easygoing and the heat complements the flavor profile and texture well.

Overall- Worth a try but I wouldn't dent your wallet or trade away your valuables for it

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Major thanks to ejyoung, who popped this bottle at a recent Cooters tasting. Poured into a Russian River tulip.

Burnt brown, completely opaque. The head is thin and the color of cinnamon, rising and fading within seconds. A bubbly ring of lace remains.

Espresso, chocolate/raspberry syrup, molasses, honey. A rich, spicy aroma. Burnt toast in the background.

Oh, that’s good. Different, too. Maybe it’s the result of the different barrels used, but it’s hard to pick out individual barrel flavors. Begins with butter, toffee, toasted oak and red grapes. The swallow brings a bigger wine-soaked blast with vanilla. The wine-aging contributes quite a bit here. Lighter notes of molasses, dark chocolate. Fairly sweet throughout, with nary a hint of booze. A little bitterness and roast on the sides of the tongue.

Thick, a lot of residual sugar here. Creamy medium-full, light massaging carbonation. Alcohol numbs the tongue, but that’s the only hint of it. Very nice blend here. Very drinkable for its strength.

A quality stout. Interesting blend of flavors. The wine adds something, as does the molasses.

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A big thanks to gford217 for providing me with this beer. The time is now to drink this supposed beauty. 2009 Vintage, on to the beer:

Pours thick into my snifter. Black is the color of the now, dark tanned head which dissapears quickly....only a ring of lace remains. The aroma isn't as intense as expected. Very mellow. I can smell the maple syrup in this beer, and I should because I was trained in Quebec* to use real maple syrup on whatever I ate (*sort of). A little dark chocolate underneath those maple tones, also a little alcohol.

Mellow flavor for such a big beer style, yet still tasty. Actually, I like the taste a lot. I can taste a little oak and fruit, along with the sweet maple syrup. Unsweetened chocolate...mmmm. Touch of vanilla. Toasted marshmallow. Tobacco. Very little alcohol is tasted on the palate. 12.7% ABV? Hogwash! Medium-hevay in feel with little carbonation, just a touch light in feel for the style. There is some satisfying tobacco in the aftertaste.

Delicious! Complex, yet from a more mellow Imperial Stout. Don't hesitate to go for this if the opportunity is there.

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

A - Pours a wonderfully dark, rich, motor-oil black with a lacing of russet head. Really looks phenomenal.

S - Subtle, spicy, alcohol esters. Faint bourbon, moderately sweet vanilla. Mild, salty burned-ends. Caramel as it warms. I found the nose was fairly subdued; I had to work quite hard to pick out these notes.

T - I was worried I was going to find this overly sweet as I did with Barfly, however if anything I found the maple syrup and molasses influence lacking. Same with the bourbon barrel. In truth I didn't get enough of any of the elements on the label which would distinguish it from a regular imperial stout. It's also surprisingly bitter given its 30 IBUs. This would have been a great counterbalance though if we'd got more maple, or other sweet influences like vanilla or coconut. Tobacco on the finish.

M - It is decently thick, yet at the same time a little fizzy. I'd like it a little slicker and thicker.

O - I didn't pick up much in the way of chocolate although some may find coffee. Not much smoke or peat either, although there's definitely roasted-to-the-point-of-burned malt. The whole thing just tastes burned to me: the sweetness and the maltiness. I'm somewhat disappointed in this as a $20 beer from a brewery with such a good rep.

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The initial smell with this brew was kinda' strange...metallic-like, if you will. Maybe that's the molasses used in brewing.

Oh yes...the molasses...and maple syrup. You can taste those notes as you sip away. I can clearly distinguish the two. As this delicious beverage warms, the flavors become even more amazing.

The head on this beauty was small to medium. It lays a nice thin head even roughly 10+ minutes in my tulip.

The mouthfeel reminds me of Ten Fidy. I love Ten Fidy! This brew has it's own personality and struts it with true charm and delight. That metallic smell I mentioned at the beginning is nothing. Truly a work of art I wish I could share with others. I wish I had more of these to age.

4.16/5  rDev -3.7%

Thanks for the hookup, Kyle! Poured at cellar temp into a CBS glass/snifter. 2012 vintage.

A - Pours a pitch black, nearly looking like oil as it exits the bottle. Thick, creamy, dark-tan head eventually turns into some thin lacing. Sticks very well. About as good as an AIS/RIS can look.

S - Lots of sweet oak, notes of chocolate and molasses, tobacco, roast. The oak with the combined with a brown sugar aroma are really dominating.

T - Oak, roast, sugary molasses, mild milk chocolate, tobacco, slight booze and oak re-emerge, then heavy roast...almost smoke...on the finish. I don't find as much sweetness to offset the oak as I'd expected by the description. The maple seems to act as a sweetener more than anything.

M - Thick, so very thick.

O - Good, but not great. I will need to seek out more for further investigation.

4.16/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2015 bottle.
This was poured into a snifter.
The appearance was a jet black color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated evenly and nicely. Light lacing wove around the glass nicely.
The smell had some chocolate, light coffee, a little bit of wine (but not overbearing), and tobacco.
The taste was sweet with the previously mentioned flavors and subtly slides into the dry part of the wine and tobacco (not bad, but I'm guessing, once I let this age a bit, it'll be less pronounced).
The mouthfeel was about medium bodied with a nice sipping quality about it. Carbonation seems to fill the void where the wine dryness seems to lack, (funny how I'm not a wine guy at all, but previous years I've had this, I've noticed more wine), eh, not worried, I think I like it more with less of the wine characteristics.
Overall, this year's batch is pretty good to me. Glad I didn't review last year's as I think there was a bit too much of that wine-like quality to it.

4.17/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2012 Bottle at Brouwer's cafe.

Appearance. Pours thick and black with a skim of tan head.

Smell. Molasses, wood, black licorice, rum and dark malts with a little fudge.

Taste. Chocolate fudge and molasses, toasted wood and licorice root, dark and maybe lightly smokey malts.

Mouthfeel. Full body, maybe on the lower side. Boozy warmth and low+ carbonation.

Overall. Nice big stout. Didn't get much maple, but very tasty and lots of molasses.

4.17/5  rDev -3.5%

Beer shared by someone at a recent tasting. Poured into a snifter. Beer is black but brown at the edges and forms moderate and broken head of small bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. Overall the carbonation appears low.

The aroma is mostly sweet with only a hint of alcohol.

Beer is medium bodied and has a combination of chocolate and sweetness in the front half, a slight tinge of alcohol and overall a mild bitterness from chocolate and roast. Beer finishes slightly dry that accents the bitterness of the beer overall. It is very drinkable though, the bitterness does not overpower the more delicate flavors in the front, there is no real aftertaste, if it were drier I believe there would be a problem with this much bitter, but it seems well composed.

4.17/5  rDev -3.5%

22oz, 2012 vintage (new bottle design)
Mini snifter

A: Pours out a pitch black color. Half finger dark tan head that faded pretty quickly. Leaves some lacing sheets. Even in the small snifter I can see some alcohol feet here.

S: Really beautiful nose here. Lots of vanilla and oak. Molasses. Good amount of sweetness, caramel and toffee. Those flavors are dominating the roasted malts and coffee RIS flavors.

T: Up front, bitter chocolate and molasses mesh well together. As the flavors move to the middle of the mouth, you get more barrel character. Sweet notes of caramel and vanilla and toffee. Long finish, but still fairly dry on the close. BIG beer. Felt the alcohol, even though it was well integrated.

M: Full bodied. Lots of mouth coating.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served On-Tap

A — Pours as black as night, thick and viscous, extremely dark and rich. There is a nearly black, very dark dark brown colored head that forms and leaves behind some thick, sticky, consistent lacing, just remarkable, have not seen many beers appear this thick.

S — Smells of roasted, charred, dark malts, very deep, roasted and complex. Little bit of licorice and cinnamon almost.

T — Deep coffee, chocolate, cinnamon, anise, licorice, caramel, butterscotch, toffee, char, dark and roasted.

M — Full bodied, ridiculously long finish.

O — Great overall, a truly epic BA Stout, this was a pleasant surprise.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

courtesy of timmcd64 from Alaska. Thanks Tim!

"Vicious and viscous, this menacing brew pours opaque black with a creamy maduro-colored head. Its aroma offers seductive whiskey, chewy red wine, dark fruit and lavish tobacco. Berserker Imperial Stout invades your taste buds with in-your-face flavor. Weighing in at almost 13% alcohol by volume, Berserker is completely out-of-control. Give it a good fight"

That's what the label says, and I couldn't agree more.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

A- Perfectly black. Only a bit of brown highlights when held to the light. Head is rich and thick, but no lacing :-(

S- Tons of dark fruits and alcohol. A hint of grassy hops in the back, which is overridden by the fruity, cherry, port-like malt character.

T- Initially malty with dates, then drops almost immediately to tons of burnt malt and roasted grain character, which interacts with the hops for a fairly bitter finish. Alcohol comes in just a bit at the end... yummy.

M- Thick, chewy, medium-low carbonation, and a slightly astringent finish.

D- Very good. Like a lighter version of dark lord, dare I say it.. not as good, but still... I'll have it every chance I get.

Berserker Imperial Stout from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.