Cohoho Imperial IPA - Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

Cohoho Imperial IPACohoho Imperial IPA

good

Midnight Sun Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

Availability: Fall

CoHoHo begins with generous measures of pale two-row and specialty malts along with spirit-boosters like brown sugar and honey. Hefty doses of Cascade, Centennial and Simcoe hops beautifully balance that outrageous malt bill while juniper berries heighten the festive character of this exuberant beer.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-28-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cohoho Imperial IPA Alström Bros
2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

Deep copper. Meidum beige head. Sparse lace. Aroma is weak. Some notes of pine. The mouthfeel is a little too carbonated. Gaseous. There's an off flavor to this beer. It's highly astringent and bitter (in a bad way). There is nothing good about this beer. My second in a row from this brewery that is subpar. I'm surprised.

Bighuge, Mar 23, 2004
2.59/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

8.0% ABV confirmed. 22 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired earlier tonight and served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average given Midnight Sun's reputation, though I wasn't particularly impressed with TREAT.

Served chilled. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Not paired with food.

A: Pours a three finger khaki colour head of nice cream and froth, good thickness, and very good (~4+ minutes) retention for the high ABV. Body colour is a clear translucent amber-copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. It's more amber coloured in the body than most beers in the style; I expected your run of the mill generic copper but I'm pleasantly surprised. Appealing for an IPA. Is it the berries that lend it that colour?

Sm: Floral hop character, light citrus, a bit of hop oil and bitterness, bright berries, spruce, brown sugar, and toasted malts. Almost a bit like a winter warmer meets an IPA. A mild strength aroma and a pleasant one, but it does like the hoppy presence I'd expect from a good IPA; it's not assertive. A bit thin and weak in terms of evoking complex hop notes; there's no pine or grabbing citrus or really notable distinct hop notes. I'm a bit put off, but that may just be expectations.

T: Berries come off artificial. Brown sugar doesn't add much of note. Hop character is generic floral. Way too malty, with toasted character and syrupy amber malt extract emerging as dominant. Hops are not the focus here, to its detriment. Caramel. Quite sugary and sweet. Balance is a mess. It lacks focus. Poorly constructed given the style; where's the hop content? Boring and bland. Disappointing. Lacks complexity and subtlety. I don't get any honey, at least not in the sense that other IPAs feature honey (like Bell's Hopslam or various Dogfish Head beers).

Mf: Thin and undercarbonated, yet smooth and wet. Quite underwhelming. Weak. Terrible palate presence. Unable to support its flavour profile. Sticky and a bit nectary. Quite poorly executed. Almost feels like a cask ale (and I mean that as pejoratively as possible). I do like that it's soft.

Dr: A huge disappointment from Midnight Sun, and a failure for the style. Very overpriced for its lack of quality. I'm quickly losing hope that Midnight Sun will live up to its reputation. I'm in no hurry to buy any of their beers in the immediate future, but I hope they have better offerings than this in their lineup. Not at all recommended. It's just so artificial. I will say that it hides its ABV decently, but there isn't much else going for it. It's drinkable in a general sense; I'll have no trouble finishing the bottle by myself. But I'd sooner reach for a basic Lagunitas or an Alesmith IPA at less than half the price.

C-

kojevergas, Jan 23, 2013
2.73/5  rDev -30.4%

Cohoho, an Imperial IPA (seasonal) from Alaska (and perhaps my first from our largest State). An extremely busy label, lots going on here. Unusual choice for a holiday brew.

Pours an extremely dark and murky brown for an IIPA, clearly bottle conditioned given the amount of sediment. Nice head, leaves some nice lacing, and an eighth of an inch in coverage.

Light aroma, with a bit of spice, perhaps aided by a bit of Holiday Spice.

The taste is definitely not what I’d consider an IIPA, a holiday brew sure, but an IIPA, no way. The classic smooth, rich and floral hop taste is completely missing, or perhaps, hidden behind something else in this brew. There is a firm malt base here, and there is some hops flavor here as well, but I do notice a some off flavors as well, like cinnamon and nutmeg. These spicy flavors are not overwhelming at all, but they just don’t belong. Not a good IIPA, not a bad Holiday beer, but not an IIPA.

jackndan, May 12, 2004
2.75/5  rDev -29.8%

largadeer, Oct 19, 2013
2.88/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Launched from a 22oz bomber, this imperial IPA from Midnight Sun had a dark, slightly hazed amber color and a modest ¾" off-white head that slowly, slowly faded to a ring, leaving no lace.
Whoa, talk about hops! This brew has a heavy, resinous pine-laden hops aroma and a burnt metal smell that was rather distracting and not very pleasant. A blast of alchol fumes boil out of the glass to add to the clash of aromas. The taste was loaded with a variety of flavors; some caramel malt and maple sweetness, an absolute load of sappy pine hoppiness, and, lastly and most distressing, an "am-I-getting-my-mouth-washed-out?" soapy taste that blew the whole thing for me. The feel was medium-bodied, with a dry finish.
I was quite disappointed with how this brew's tastes just clashed together. There wasn't any harmony to them and it probably contributed to that vile soapiness. Considering how I liked Midnight Sun's Humpy's Sockeye Red IPA, this was a real bummer. Too bad; I was really looking forward to this one. Now, I'll be hard pressed to ever try it again.

Boilermaker88, Feb 10, 2004

gregmoscetti, Dec 13, 2011

Neffbeer, Feb 13, 2012

shared w/ sckressler.
Super cool label from this brew from Alaska.
Ahem...I can't believe I paid what I did for this. I was really hoping for alot more. It appeared with a humongous head which seemed borderline infected. There was not a whole lot to be desired from this one as the hops with the sweetness just didn't seem appealing, nor did it seem like the double IPA that I was craving. I was expecting the hops to be jumping out of the glass but I just didn't get that. Tasted slightly sweet and flowery with a mix of hops. Bitter and sweet at the same time but not very balanced. The alcohol comes through in this too, making it a bit less desirable. I would only come back to this if someone gave it to me for free.

Not so good, Al.

weeare138, Apr 10, 2005

Thanks to BrewsB4Shrews for sending a box full of Midnight Sun brews. My first from this brewery that I've been looking forward to.

Pours red. Not a lot coming out of the glass for my nose to sample.

Cohoho is on the heavily malty side for a IIPA. Heavy malts, sweet sweet sweet. If there are many hops in here, they're playing hide and...hide. And hiding well. Just a touch of bitter at the end.

Average. Either this brew has lived past its useful lifetime or this just isn't my kind of IIPA - i.e. there need to be some hops.

maximum12, Feb 13, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -22.7%

A: ruby red, close to brown; 1 finger tan head that dissipated quickly; light lacing;

S: caramel malt, a bit of honey sweetness; pepper spiciness;

T: it's all caramel malt; no hops at all; at 85 IBUs, there should be hops somewhere, but it's not in the aroma or the taste and there's no bitterness at all;

M: a little syrupy; moderate carbonation;

O: I'm scoring this way below average and, in reading other reviews, I seem to be having an different experience; if I got the hop presence that other reviewers got, I would rate this higher; perhaps the bottle was old, but no date visible; considering how far from Alaska I am, I probably won't try this again; the odds of my getting a fresh bottle are not good;

HamdenHector, Jul 03, 2014
3.05/5  rDev -22.2%

Orangish brown with a gorgeous white frothy head. Aroma is pine, cherries, & grapefruit. Malts are everywhere - they're spicy & nutty & somewhat fruity. There are some citrusy hops, but they are mixed with a touch of caramel & are not nearly as prevalent as I would expect or hope for in this style. Not overly impressed.

garthwaite, May 01, 2004
3.08/5  rDev -21.4%

Colossal beige head, fists of foam and only ounces of beer. Irritating to say the least. I had the same issues with Sockeye Red IPA. What the hell? This massive mountain of foam had excellent staying power. It is cock-blocking me from drinking it! The liquid is hazy, amber coppery brown in hue. This is fairly dark, even for a DIPA. I like the color. There was tons of lacing, tattered wallpaper. That is impressive. This beer would look much better if the head wasn’t so damn big. The nose is hot like candied hop pellets. There are big pine aromas and plenty of grapefruit. Soft flower smells at the back, otherwise this beer is heavy-handed. Yet this beer has a simplistic aroma. There sure isn’t much depth here. The malt offers a trace of sweetness with a kiss of caramel. It smells far to clean. The nose is a major bummer. DIPA? The nose doesn’t say that, maybe a barleywine. Inviting by default. The palate is lackluster. At first it is hot. In the middle it is warm with a bitter twang. There is a messy array of hops, pine needles, grapefruit, and some flowers. The malt quickly follows, juicy caramel flavors. Surprise, it is hot again. Bitter. It has flavor but there is something wacky about the taste. I think it is far too hot, turn down the alcohol will ya? Raw. Too raw really, there isn’t much complexity here. I do like some of the individual flavors but others annoy me. Where is the true hop flavor? I like my DIPAs to have layers of hops; this one doesn’t have that. I’m rambling here. I’m not impressed with this DIPA at all. Hot. Boring. Uninspiring. Almost medium in body, the carbonation is moderate and natural. There is nothing noteworthy about the mouthfeel, either good or bad. It feels normal; nothing else about this beer is normal. Drinkable? Sure. Do I need to drink this again? No. There is nothing special about this beer. I’m bored. Purchased on-line from Liquid Solutions.

bditty187, Feb 07, 2005
3.13/5  rDev -20.2%

More Arrogant Bastard than Ruination. Good hopping but the strong dark fruit flavor and aroma, and the lack of alcohol flavor that many dipa's feature, make it more of a strong or old ale. Aroma is very nice. Perfect late night sipper, any season. Would love to try it locally.

david18, Jun 08, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

Decent coppery color with a great head that lingers all the way down. Really good hoppy aroma and a bunch of malt comes thru as well. The flavor is extremely hoppy but has a sharp tang to it-not as even as some of the other Imperials out there. Nice,full,silky mouthfeel- but I find the astringency of the flavor detracts from the body. Average drinkability-theres much better Imperial IPAS out there. Id try them first.

lackenhauser, Aug 23, 2004
3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours brown with copper highlights, topped with a huge four finger puffy tan head, leaves webs of lacing.
Hoppy aroma, floral and citrus, bread, tea and molasses.
Sweet, caramel - rich caramel taste, molasses and pepper, not as much hop flavor as I expected.
Medium-full bodied, doesn't stand up to other Imperials.

mschofield, Nov 26, 2004
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

22oz bottle served in pint glass. Beer is deep red amber (way too dark for a proper IPA), syrupy, and relatively opaque, with lots of big soda bubbles. Caramel sweet aroma with a load of citrus hops, typical of double IPAs.

Taste is way on the bitter side, with aggressive American hops through the middle. I only get a hint of honey sweetness on the tip of my tongue. Disappointingly, I don't get any juniper at all. No, I don't get much in the way of either complexity or holiday spirit from this. And other than being calibrated to 85 IBUs, I wouldn't necessarily call it an American Double IPA. Maybe American winter warmer or imperial red ale.

hreb, Jan 16, 2014

Nage37, Jan 28, 2014

C-Dog, Nov 27, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

Bottle, home. An amber, reddish DIPA with a nice beige head. The aroma is mostly a pretty standard grapefruit hoppiness. There's just a touch of sweet sugars and maybe some juniper, but I could be imagining that. The flavor is also a bit one-note - almost entirely hop bitterness. The beer is rather dry. I think that I'd like this beer more without the brown sugar and honey. The flavor is rather harsh, possibly the result of these simpler sugars. I had high hopes for this beer and come away fairly disappointed.

popery, Mar 01, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

This beer poured a bright amber to copper with a huge foamy head and a bright lace that clung to the glass throughout the tasting experience. It has a bright floral aroma (Cascade hops?) with a mild malt back. The first taste has a more citrus character from the hops and a distinct alcohol bite. The malty character does visit later in the experience. The mouth feel is light, but the alcohol character detracts from the drinkability. Average beer in a field of great IPAs.

carln26, Oct 05, 2004
3.35/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a deep reddish color. Makes a thick off white head that stands about an inch off the top of the beer and fades slowly. Brilliant clarity. A bit dark for a Double IPA.

Aroma is more malt forward than hop focused. Notes of sweet caramel. Some piney hop esters permeate through the complex malts. Not as hoppy as I would have hoped, but has some interesting characteristics from the specialty malts and adjuncts. I would have expected a stronger hop aroma.

Flavor opens up with light to medium caramel malts, toasty & biscuity. Hop bitterness is moderate to high. Hop flavors are piney, resinous, a bit catty. Lingering bitter aftertaste. This tastes more like a light barleywine, its just not quite hitting the mark as for the style.

Nice mouthfeel, not terribly cloying or sticky. Medium carbonation. Creamy finish.

Overall, this is a brew that is definitely drinkable, I just think that it misses a great deal of marks for trying to call it a Double IPA. Less mid range specialty malts and more finishing/dry hops will really improve this and make it more fitting to the style.

kmcnair, Jan 18, 2007
3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

Appearance:

Another great hookup from BA WhiteRascal thanks ! I pulled the cap of the holiday bomber and was greeted with a loud hissing noise and lots of carbonation gasses leaking out. I decided to pour this into my English Imperial pint glass and I went straight on a back off with a slight tilt at the end hoping for a thick head. Ahh excellent, a crackling two finger thick head that hung around for a while. Poured a deep amber brown with some slight haze, deep ruby undertones around the edges. When i give a swirl the viscosity is good leaving long lasting legs of foam on the glass walls.

Smell:

Sweet brown sugar, caramel,toffee, and slight jumiper which gives a faint gin like aroma. West coast citrus hops which are wet and sticky, oranges, mango, but just a little faded for my liking.

Taste:

Not as hoppy as DIPA should be but still very darn good. Loads of sweetness, hop resin, and more earthy flavors in the middle which get mossy as it gets warmer. Some spice from the juniper, maybe some white pepper ? Burnt caramel, long and lingering finish with some heat alcohol running around.

Bmoyer0301, Jan 30, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

A: Holy Cow! Probably one of the most "bottle colored" amber-brown DIPA's I've seen. There's a half-finger thick, somewhat tannish laced residue clinging to my Boonville Beer pint glass...where head once stood.

S: Some of the positive odors I read about, I think may have dissipated with time, as its last winter's version... so, I'll have to have a newer bottle sometime and update this particular note.

T: Caramelized malts... some different spice quality that I can't quite put my thumb on.. the hints of hops are somewhat faded and replaced by the caramel affect..I believe that the brown sugar and honey that is spoken of on the MS website are present within this brew yet...

M: Sounds stranges, but starts off smooth and rough at the same time.. not sure how else to explain it... kinda feels scratchy with the carbonation, but generally, the body feels somewhat smooth as ya swallow..

O: with the time it has on it, this bottle was still enjoyable.. I'll have to try it fresh next time to get a truer feel for this beer. Midnight Sun has been pretty tasty from what I've had thus far.

vande, Aug 13, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -11.2%

A dark orangey amber with a good head. There's a distinct spirits-soaked dried fruit smell in the aroma. There's a light caramel sweetness added to that in the flavor. The hops are surprisingly in the background, but there is a firm bitterness supporting it. The body is surprisingly thin and seems to weak to support the flavor. Perhaps a bit ragged.

aracauna, Apr 02, 2004
3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Breylan, Jan 17, 2012
Cohoho Imperial IPA from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.