Gluttony - Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

GluttonyGluttony

good

Midnight Sun Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

Beer added by: beersabound on 02-24-2007

GLUTTONY Triple IPA overindulges the palate with profound malt, powerful hops and abundant body. Its deep decadent golden orange color presents an appetizing invitation for extravagant enjoyment. Its aroma entices with citrus, pine and alcohol while the flavor provides a smorgasbord of sweet malt, fresh tangerine/grapefruit and a resinous hop character that lingers well beyond the finish.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gluttony Alström Bros
3.96/5  rDev -4.1%

Thanks to ChewyLewy for sharing this one at Retsinis' tasting.

Pours a murky dark orange with a foamy beige head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. A foamy lattice of lace coats the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, brown sugar, and candied citrus zest aromas. Taste is much the same with candied citrus zest and brown sugar flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and sticky mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer with a nice mix of brown sugar and candied citrus zest qualities that make this one reminiscent of a barleywine.

Serving type: bottle. (695 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber color with a two-finger head; lacing sticks nicely to the sides of the pint glass

Smell: Grapefruit and pine to the nth degree

Taste: A burgeoning caramel backbone serves as the platter on which to present the grapefruit and pine aromas from this beer as they appear up front; after the swallow, the bitter fruity flavors predominate, while the sweet underlying malt never quite fades away

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: With 200 IBUs, this is a major assault on the tongue; nevertheless, it is quite drinkable and will appeal to the hopheads - it sure hasn't yet turned into a barleywine

Thanks, Beerlando, from the other site (705 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Twenty two ounce bottle that has been cellared for the better part of a year. Served cold out of the fridge, but allowed to warm up throughout the tasting. Poured into an oversized wine glass. Consumed on 07/17/2008.

A big thanks again goes out to Frank for this one. This is night three of my seven deadly sins. I am doing them all in a row, on seven consecutive nights. Last night I was tired and was only having one beer, so I thought I would destroy my palate with this monster. The pour was lovely. A deep, rich, amber color, which was highlighted with nice accents of orange. Lots of haze here as well, with an almost opaque cloudiness to it. Nice two finger head which came up quickly but then faded down to only a thin solid quarter inch layer with decent side glass lace.

The aroma was very nicely balanced, owing that to the cellar time no doubt. Rich piney hops were evident almost immediately, but a subtle sweetness had worked its way in now as well. Really nicely put together here, especially for 200 IBU's. As it warmed nice floral citrus like notes started coming through. The flavor was more of the same, nothing mouth shattering like I would have thought; this has mellowed nicely, and really become a very solid big beer. Loads of sticky, resin infused hops that just made your lips stick to your teeth, but once this moved through a nice biscuit like, bready malt base pokes around to sweeten it up a bit, providing a nice touch of depth here. Fantastic medium bodied ale, this was quite thicker then I would have expected, but had just enough carbonation to keep from becoming really syrup like. A good sipper, it took me a bit to finish this one off, but I was happy to do it. Easily finished off the bottle though and would love to get some more as that long drawn out and dry pine laced finish was just a perfect way to finish my night.

Overall this was my favorite so far of the three in the series I have tried, but I would have figured that based on my normal preferences. Still though this is more then a solid offering here and I would love to get some more of it. A quality ale from start to finish. (2,133 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

Sampled on Saturday's MS Sins tasting. Both batches were tasted, but this review will be from the remake.

A: The pour is a glowing orange color with a really nice white head and some spots of lacing.

S: A strong hop presence, though certainly on the way out. A nice resinous pine note along with nice citrus aromas. As the hops have begun to die out, there is quite a bit of caramel malt.

T: While the hop aromas are certainly dying down, the flavors are still nice. And although I'm not the biggest fan of sweeter/maltier IPAs, this one still has quite a bit of pine and bitterness to it.

M: The body is medium, but almost chewy. A moderate carbonation to go along with it.

D: I wish I could have tried this beer super-fresh, but alas that is not exactly possible. Still quite good, all things considered, and perhaps another batch is in the future. (855 characters)

4.13/5  rDev 0%

Sampled 5/2/08. Shared the entire 7 beer series with fellow BAs Deuane & SierraGS. It was quite a night! Special thanks to AKBelgianBeast for trading me the complete set of these to try.

22 oz bomber into a snifter.

Pours a clear golden amber with 2 fingers of off-white foamy head. A thin, creamy retention leaves some great looking lacing behind. The aroma is sticky pine and bready malts mixed with some spice, citrus, and a waft of alcohol heft.

The taste is piney hops up front but a year on this bottle seems to have faded the freshness a bit. But saying that, there is still an obscene amounts of IBUs running rampant through this thing the whole way through the finish. The bitterness is rounded off some by a back bone of beefy bready tasting malts, a splash of citrus, and some spiciness. The mouthfeel has a medium full body with a nice carbonated feel. This is one of those beers that lets it all hang out in the alcohol department, not hiding it's beefy ABV and letting things end with hot and bitter finish.

Wow! This was a beast of a beer to start out with, with rampaging hops and a warm feel. I'm glad this was one that was shared with other, as I'm not sure that I could have taken in a full 22 oz of this palette wrecker. (1,248 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Lg. shared bottle at RBWG-2015
Hazy amber body with virtually no head.
Very fruity aroma with a strong hint of orange along with lemon and lime.
Flavor: hoppy and fruity but very mild for 200 IBUs.
Feel: some heat from otherwise mostly hidden alcohol. (254 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Holy hops! A Triple IPA that lives up to the billing and then some. In fact this makes Devil Dancer seem balanced. It reminds me of a just bottled Old Crusty. Totally untamed and over the top.

Appearance is copper but cloudy. What the hell? Held up to the light I swear I see partially disolved hops, though I know it's just yeast in suspension from this beer's long journey to me. Light whispy egg-shell white Brussel's lace is deposited around the glass with each sip.

Smell is all hops -- 200 ibus of hops in all their glory. Grapefruit and pine dominate. Maybe it's disolved pine car fresheners I see in this beer. Is that a flat green tree floating by? A whiff of tangerine can be caught as well.

And guess what? Yep, this beer's taste is all about the hops. Significantly bitter with just a touch of hot alcohol and malt sweetness. You know there's a ton of malt used in this brew by its 10.5 percent alcohol but you have to search to find it.

Mouthfeel is creamy, with a slight stickiness on the lips which could be from the hops just as much as from the malt.

To me, this is as far as you can take an American IPA. This beer has pushed the hop threshold to the limit and it certainly lives up to its name. This is certainly more than one requires (as is the very definition of gluttony), but when you want to indulge your hop fix, you'd be hard pressed to find another beer that could do it better. That said, one and done at a sitting is certainly the case with this one

Thanks Tim (Beersabound) for the chance to experience another winner from Midnight Sun. (1,573 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Thanks to AmericanBrew for sharing this bottle at a recent tasting.

The beer pours a light orange color with a white head. The aroma is very hoppy with some citrus hops and some resiny hops. The flavor is resiny, dank hops with some orange citrus notes as well. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. (304 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

I purchased this at the brewery while visiting ANCAK last summer and last night (F, 27 Feb 2009) was an occasion to open it while I had BeerGestapo, who is a high school classmate of mine, as well as my Iron Hill (LNC) neighbor and my cher oncle over following Cask Night.

I got a finger of tan head with good retention. Leaning in, it was cloyingly sweet - lots of malt! The color was a slightly hazy deep-amber. The taste was really sweet for my taste, it was almost candy-like in its intensity. I felt gluttonous while drinking it. Hey!The finish was duly sweet with a distinct alcohol burn lingering in the mouth. Whew! Of the two (Wrath was also consumed), I had a prefernece to Wrath. This might have even aged a little longer to reduce the alcohol aspect. (763 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8%

Thanks to hopdog for sharing this...
Appears a transparent amber toned gold with a small white cap that fades into a mild, foamy film. Streaky lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of huge grapefruit, sugary orange peel, vanilla cream, and sugar filled malt.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with bitter candy oranges standing out making for a ballsy DIPA.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, bitter as hell, and IMHO, in need of some more balance. It's just too skewed towards the bitterness. (493 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -28.6%

A: Poured a orange gold color with good carbonation and a nice white head caps it off

S: All over the place, Pine, citrus mainly

T: Harsh. Syrupy, like some wheat almost. I got the same wheat, syrup like flavor from the Obliteration and Hop Dog. Not a fan. Some pine and citrus mainly but really had no flavor till the end when it came to anything tasty per say.

M: Syrupy, slick, bitter, way bitter on the end. Unappealing

D: Not good (439 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +5.8%

22 oz received in a trade with AKBelgianBeast ... mega huge thanks. Shared with my trading partner .. mine poured into my New Belgium snifter.

Nice 2 1/2 finger sticky sticky rocky sorta yellowish off white head... brew itself is hop hazed orange.

Aroma is a citrus hoppy bombshell. Coats the inside of my nostrils with grapefruit essence... not much else... sorta smells of sugar cookies.

Flavor is bracing bitter and has more than enough sweetness.. big bold and hoppy and completely unapologetic. Orange peel with a little bit of pine with a thick and very slick/oily pale malt mouthfeel... finish is dry orange peel that lingers for long after your sip. I can only sorta ding it for drinkability ... I am happy I had SAS to try it with.

Easily one of the best DIPA's I've had.. I can only imagine what it was like fresh off the tap... Oh wow would it have had a shit-ton of hop flavors. I don't think anyone is going to accuse this one as being "balanced".. but in this case it's okay because I am definitely a hop Glutton. As it warms, it sorta reminds me of Stone 10th when it was fresh... or even a fresh Hopsickle.

I can't thank AKBelgianBeast enough for this trade... Frank is without a doubt one of the best traders out there... For now .... 1 Sin down ... 6 more on my path. (1,291 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

Bomber poured into a tumbler,Gluttony is chill hazed dull, brownish gold with a small light sand head leaving scattered, foamy lace.

Smell is intense, sweet carmalized sugar and resinous hops, a little bit of gran mariner with the booze and orange notes.

Taste is also very intense, a big alcohol character, pugent hoppiness and caramel malt. Blistering really, with a spicy, bone dry finish.

Mouthfeel is chewy and oily, leaving a prickliness on the tongue.

Drinkability is not terribly high, this is a super intense, very strong ale - a tripel IPA for sure. One every once in a while is plenty, and although this will definitely satisfy any hop-head's fix, the alcohol punch would equally satisfy someone looking to get drunk fast. (741 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +1.9%

Many thanks to Kyle for sharing this the other day. I believe this was brewed again recently, so it *should* be fresh. It sure as hell tasted fresh.

Clear orange amber with a dense off-white head with excellent retention and lacing. This is perfect for the style.

The nose is a bit of a juggernaut with a MASSIVE pungent citrus hop character, just brutally so, big and bitter with a rather pronounced caramel and honey character with some sugar. Despite the noticeable sweetness, this is all hops, just huge citrus, grapefruit and pungent hop goodness.

The palate opens bruisingly bitter with big grapefruit and orange rind bitterness, just big and resiny, countered by a moderate body and sweetness with caramel. While I usually dislike sweetness in a DIPA, in this case, it's rather welcome. Medium in body with a moderate level of carbonation, the finish is extremely long with grapefruit and hop resins just coating the palate. The mouthfeel is nuts! However, such an intense beer can be enjoyed only in small amounts, and my 4oz pour was sufficient. However, if I see this again, I will not pass on it, it's one of the more absurdly hoppy beers I've had, I'd compare it to (favorably) with White Knuckle. (1,212 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a Ebenezer's glass.

A: Hazy brown-yellow with heavy lacing and light head.

S: Incredibly fruity. Sweet mangoes. Candied pineapples. I can take a guess at the hop bill.

T/M: This is GOOD. The forefront is fruity -- much akin to the smell -- and sweet, but the endtaste is relentlessly bitter. Holy mother of god, they claim 200IBU (which must be a joke), but there are SUPER hops here. Aftertaste is citrus and dry mouth.

O: 'Triple' IPAs? Seriously? What are we coming to, people? Is there no longer any appreciation for the balanced beer? the good beer? the crowd-pleaser? Are we now in the generation of more-blistering equalling more-better? I think so, but I hope not. I'm not sure what possible niche this beer is meant to occupy, other than to give self-defined 'hopheads' another-different-crazier thrill, but it seems...gratuitous. Does the world need this beer? Hell no. Is it good? Objectively, no. Do I like it? Hell yes. (971 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

bottle procured locally, just hit town! enjoyed from a midnight sun tulip.

a - brew pours a deep rich chestnut brown thin foamy head didn't hang long but left big sheets of lace on the glass. murky and opaque. looks heavy.

s - nose is straight up American barleywine. pine cone caramel with some nuttiness and sweetness.

t/m/o - first impression was that this is somewhere between devil dancer and 120 min ipa but after I got adjusted to the assault on my mouth the flavors settled into a rich caramel pine cone syrup. powerful and big but very nice flavoring. for a IIIPA it is very tasty, but chewy and big. while I don't think taking this bottle down solo will be a problem, I probably won't remember the end of the night. worth checking out if you dig these monster iiipas. surprisingly very drinkable. (809 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Bottle courtesy of NoonanDBarbarian poured into a tulip. This is my first of the sins series and I've been looking forward to them.

A: Pours a deep, slightly hazy amber with a big fluffy white head that shows great retention and sheets of lacing down the glass.

S: The aroma is a massive juicy sweet hop explosion. Grapefruit and pine play major roles with some sweet caramel maltiness in the background.

T: The pine hops are prevalent up front in the taste and give way to a sizable caramel malt base. The citrus hops kick in after the malts and leave a nice sticky finish with a pleasant bitterness.

M: Mouthfeel is smooth but sticky with hop resin with just the right amount of bitterness.

D: A good IIPA with a solid balance of big hops and malts. A nice start to my seven deadly sins experience and I'm eagerly anticipating the rest. (843 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -11.1%

From BeerAdvocate Magazine Volume II, Issue II:

Cool name and cool branding, part of the Seven Deadly Sins beers. One of two things we won't buy into is the Triple IPA style: There is too much gray area, and it seems that Double/Imperial IPA covers it all. The other is the claim of 200 IBUs, even if this was correct your taste buds can only handle 80-100 real IBUs before going totally numb. Whatever, now to the beer. Good froth and head retention, more than ample with sticky lace and all. Mildly hazed copper color. The aroma is soaked in hops, no chance for the malt to come through at all, though the alcohol does with a very faint and clean solvent fume. Moderate carbonation, slick, full body. Sharp biting puckering bitterness kills the taste buds, then it keeps on kicking the dead taste buds over and over again. Malt is there as it is the foundation (body) that is holding this beer together, but with this approach the malt walks away crying. The alcohol is warming but not so noticeable because the hops just don't stop.

That is it, our palates are destroyed for the night. Thanks guys. Seriously, we are not sure if any brewer could pack more hop bitterness and flavor into a bottle. Absolutely absurd and insane but extreme, and we like extreme, so we'll give this one a hall pass for keeping us on our toes. You are not a true hophead unless you have climbed this hop mountain. (1,397 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Triple IPA, eh? Pours a dusky orange-copper with light around the edges. Tall, frothy, lacy, off-cream head towers above. Looks great! Very strong, pungent nose is detectable from a foot away. Raw hop cones, hop oil, and herbal bitterness exude from the glass. Slightly metallic, with a strong floral component as well. Sugar cookie malt barely cuts through.

Taste is absolutely jam-packed with hop flavor and bitterness. Piney, resinous, herbal, metallic, pineapple, grapefruit--they are all in there. Some malty caramel/toffee sweetness and fruit come through, but just a smidge. Numbing, warming, tastebud killing hop finish drives the point home: this beer is loaded with hops!! Wow. This may be the hoppiest beer I have ever tried. Medium-bodied with a slightly sticky feel. Gentle carbonation. After 22 oz. of this my tongue is going to need a break. (859 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +7%

22oz bottle acquired in trade with puzzl (thanks!).

Poured a medium orange/amber color with an averaged sized off white head. Initial pour was crystal clear with the subsequent pours clouding and included floaters. Aromas of melons, citrus, pine, and caramel. Tastes of citrus, lots of grapefruit, pine, and just a trace of caramel. This one was one hop bomb (which is not a bad thing for me). Nicely bitter with a very light malt balance. Light alcohol in the finish but not giving way that it was 10+%.

Notes from 7/18/07 (526 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Thanks to Kegatron via AKBelgianBeast for the opportunity to do a vertical tasting of the entire 7 DS collection....it was quite a night!

A-Golen amber with a medium light tan head that left nice lacing.

S-Loads of sweet bready malt with a giant wave of piney hops. It is like an all out war between the malt and hops.

T-Smooth malty sweetness initially followed by a brutal smack of piney bitterness. 200 IBU huh...the human tounge cant detect 200 IBU...overkill for sure, but I like it!

M-Medium-heavy body with a very good balance. The year of aging on this mighr have something to do with that. I wonder how hop forward this was a year ago?

D-A BIG beer all around! Lots of malt and hops. Totally balanced and very nice for a brew this large. (751 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark orange color, a bit cloudy, and with a nice head. Good looking beer!

Aromas are strong... resin, pine, and a hint of alcohol are noted. This is a great smelling beer.

Flavor is crisp and dry up front, then the taste is thick and full bodied. Upon the first sip you notice the dry quality, then the malts kick in with a firm and sturdy slightly sweet and creamy backbone. The beer finishes with a resin and pine like hop kick. Excellent tasting beer!

Mouthfeel is top notch. The thick and roundness of this beer is well done.

Drinkability is way up there. This is easily one of the best DIPAs I have ever tasted. Well done Midnight Sun! I am impressed! Too bad this beer wasn't more widely distributed, it is a winner.

Many thanks to beersabound for sending me this one. (797 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

22 ounce bottle acquired in a trade with AKBelgianBeast, thanks for the opportunity Frank, poured into a pint glass last night

A-Golden orange mixed with amber, 1/2 inch creamy white head that only lasts a few minutes, some retention, more lacing at the beginning
S-Not as many hops as I had hoped for in the aroma, sweet malt, lemon juice, some orange peel, pine, butter, grassy accents, herbal scents, and grapefruit
T-Starts off a lot more hoppy than it finishes, some chewier malt in the middle, sweet malt in the finish with some piney hoppiness, gets a lot sweeter as it warms and the citrus also comes out, hops were so strong they were almost sweet, I guess that is what 200 IBUs will do, liked the balance but a little too sweet for an imperial IPA, but still enjoyable
M-Dry, slightly sweet, and sticky mouthfeel, medium to full bodied, carbonation might have been low at first but later I liked how it allowed for thickness, taste lingered for a couple minutes
D-Could have drank the bomber but only had what fit in my glass, gets heavier on the stomach as it warms, alcohol is hidden for the most part, strong brew though, not the smoothest

First beer I have tried from the seven deadly sins series, have not had a triple IPA for a while now, not nearly as good as the Obliteration that I had tried a few months back but still good, would drink again, surprisingly the hops have held up well, recommended (1,418 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Very nice looking with a monster chunky off white head that lsts and lasts leaving thick sticky lace bubbles down the glass. Stagnant sediment mysteriously stares back out of this amber nectar.

Big on caramel and toffee malts with an aged floral hop presence with hints of pine and tart fruits. Some grapefruit as well.

Nice with a hop bitterness that lasts through the finish and neutralizes the sweet toffee and caramel malts. Floral with some earthy character. Light citrus and stone fruit. Good balance of malt to hop and very drinkable considering ABV. Mouth is nice if not a little acrid on the finish with moderate carbonation. (637 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

- 22 oz. bottle poured into Anchorage Teku on 5-Feb-15
- Delivered to local store, purchased, and drank on same day

Very high on malty sweetness with some tropical fruit notes like pineapples with a bit of grapefruit and mango. I'm impressed that there's no booze detected whatsoever, but overall, this TIPA is a bit underwhelming, especially for the hefty price ($17). Too much of a malt bomb.

Simtra is much cheaper and may be on par with this one, but doesn't compete with El Segundo's Power Plant. Doesn't even come close to PtY. (536 characters)

Gluttony from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.