Gluttony - Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

GluttonyGluttony

good

Midnight Sun Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

GLUTTONY Triple IPA overindulges the palate with profound malt, powerful hops and abundant body. Its deep decadent golden orange color presents an appetizing invitation for extravagant enjoyment. Its aroma entices with citrus, pine and alcohol while the flavor provides a smorgasbord of sweet malt, fresh tangerine/grapefruit and a resinous hop character that lingers well beyond the finish.

(Beer added by: beersabound on 02-24-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gluttony Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Very nice looking with a monster chunky off white head that lsts and lasts leaving thick sticky lace bubbles down the glass. Stagnant sediment mysteriously stares back out of this amber nectar.

Big on caramel and toffee malts with an aged floral hop presence with hints of pine and tart fruits. Some grapefruit as well.

Nice with a hop bitterness that lasts through the finish and neutralizes the sweet toffee and caramel malts. Floral with some earthy character. Light citrus and stone fruit. Good balance of malt to hop and very drinkable considering ABV. Mouth is nice if not a little acrid on the finish with moderate carbonation.

Bottle graciously shared at tasting. I was told it was at least a year old.

Poured a golden stream with a khaki head. Smell is still strong of pine and citrus considering the age. Taste is malty with a nice hoppy aftertaste that lingers, hints of grapefruit. This was pretty drinkable considering the abv. I would love a fresh bottle of this to compare with, but the year old stood up amazing for a DIPA

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber color with a two-finger head; lacing sticks nicely to the sides of the pint glass

Smell: Grapefruit and pine to the nth degree

Taste: A burgeoning caramel backbone serves as the platter on which to present the grapefruit and pine aromas from this beer as they appear up front; after the swallow, the bitter fruity flavors predominate, while the sweet underlying malt never quite fades away

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: With 200 IBUs, this is a major assault on the tongue; nevertheless, it is quite drinkable and will appeal to the hopheads - it sure hasn't yet turned into a barleywine

Thanks,___ (from the other site - I will acknowledge you once the site returns, I hope)

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

22oz bottle acquired in trade with puzzl (thanks!).

Poured a medium orange/amber color with an averaged sized off white head. Initial pour was crystal clear with the subsequent pours clouding and included floaters. Aromas of melons, citrus, pine, and caramel. Tastes of citrus, lots of grapefruit, pine, and just a trace of caramel. This one was one hop bomb (which is not a bad thing for me). Nicely bitter with a very light malt balance. Light alcohol in the finish but not giving way that it was 10+%.

Notes from 7/18/07

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

22 ounce bottle acquired in a trade with AKBelgianBeast, thanks for the opportunity Frank, poured into a pint glass last night

A-Golden orange mixed with amber, 1/2 inch creamy white head that only lasts a few minutes, some retention, more lacing at the beginning
S-Not as many hops as I had hoped for in the aroma, sweet malt, lemon juice, some orange peel, pine, butter, grassy accents, herbal scents, and grapefruit
T-Starts off a lot more hoppy than it finishes, some chewier malt in the middle, sweet malt in the finish with some piney hoppiness, gets a lot sweeter as it warms and the citrus also comes out, hops were so strong they were almost sweet, I guess that is what 200 IBUs will do, liked the balance but a little too sweet for an imperial IPA, but still enjoyable
M-Dry, slightly sweet, and sticky mouthfeel, medium to full bodied, carbonation might have been low at first but later I liked how it allowed for thickness, taste lingered for a couple minutes
D-Could have drank the bomber but only had what fit in my glass, gets heavier on the stomach as it warms, alcohol is hidden for the most part, strong brew though, not the smoothest

First beer I have tried from the seven deadly sins series, have not had a triple IPA for a while now, not nearly as good as the Obliteration that I had tried a few months back but still good, would drink again, surprisingly the hops have held up well, recommended

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%

This is another great Midnight Sun beer brought to me by AKbelgianbeast. He knows how to pick em.

A- This is a nice looking beer. A hazy golden amber with a nice two finger head that is chunky with a good mix of large and small bubbles tightly packed together.

S- The hops are sweet and tangy. Nice wonderful citric fruity smell. This is a great smelling beer.

T- This is almost as good, if not better tasting then Pliny the Elder. The hops kick some serious taste bud ass. Grapefruit and lemon are having an orgy in my mouth. Throw in some malty goodness and thats one sexy package. The hop taste is strong, yet balanced out well by the malt. The bottle says Triple IPA, and this is very balanced. This is a great beer, another home run for Midnight Sun.

M- Nice combination of thickness and carbination. They play well in the sandbox together.

D- Hell yes.

4.05/5  rDev -1%

Bottle courtesy of NoonanDBarbarian poured into a tulip. This is my first of the sins series and I've been looking forward to them.

A: Pours a deep, slightly hazy amber with a big fluffy white head that shows great retention and sheets of lacing down the glass.

S: The aroma is a massive juicy sweet hop explosion. Grapefruit and pine play major roles with some sweet caramel maltiness in the background.

T: The pine hops are prevalent up front in the taste and give way to a sizable caramel malt base. The citrus hops kick in after the malts and leave a nice sticky finish with a pleasant bitterness.

M: Mouthfeel is smooth but sticky with hop resin with just the right amount of bitterness.

D: A good IIPA with a solid balance of big hops and malts. A nice start to my seven deadly sins experience and I'm eagerly anticipating the rest.

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

AKBelgianBeast hooked me up with delicious brew. I used my Mad Elf Chalice glass to pour it into.

A - Pours 2 fingers of thick off-white head. It has great retention and leaves nice amounts of lacing. It is a very dark orange that you can't see through.

S - A very powerful aroma comes off this beer you can smell it right away as it is being poured without having to be close to the beer. There is a lot of citrus and piny hops. The strength of the hops in the aroma lets you know this definitely isn't your ordinary IPA or imperial IPA for that matter.

M - A medium bodied beer that feels nice and slick from the hops oil. It feels like the inside of your mouth is slightly scorched after it goes down.

T - Loads of flavor, begins with the sweet malt which blends beautifully into the citrus and grapefruit flavor. It ends with the piny hops with a note of sweetness reappearing. It also leaves a nice bitterness that lingers after swallowing. There is a definite warming sensation in the throat and stomach from the high alcohol content which is nicely hidden.

A great extreme hoppy beer that lives up to the "triple" in the name. If you love hops and are ever near Anchorage, Alaska this is a must have.

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Appearance: Slightly hazy, deep gold colored brew with a sticky golden-white head.

Smell: Intense hop aroma. Butter, citrus and pine.

Taste: Intense hop flavor evolves from citrus to pine profile during the taste. Mellow finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Slightly oily.

Drinkablity: This was my last 7 deadly sin brew. Very good "triple IPA" that did not seem as bitter as advertised.

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

thanks to AKBelgianBeast for this extra, pored from a 22 oz bottle into my 2006 dvval tulip glass

this is my first tripal ipa, and a damm fine one at that, this one screamsof flral hops in boath taste and smell. this one is the purfict combanation of sweet malt and HUGH bitter hops at the end. i consider myself blessed to have had one of these!!! you guys from up their "suck", no i am just kiding because i wish that this brewery was in my back yard, this is the first beer from alaska and this brewery for me, if the rest of their brews are as good as this one than thay are all top shelf

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Twenty two ounce bottle that has been cellared for the better part of a year. Served cold out of the fridge, but allowed to warm up throughout the tasting. Poured into an oversized wine glass. Consumed on 07/17/2008.

A big thanks again goes out to Frank for this one. This is night three of my seven deadly sins. I am doing them all in a row, on seven consecutive nights. Last night I was tired and was only having one beer, so I thought I would destroy my palate with this monster. The pour was lovely. A deep, rich, amber color, which was highlighted with nice accents of orange. Lots of haze here as well, with an almost opaque cloudiness to it. Nice two finger head which came up quickly but then faded down to only a thin solid quarter inch layer with decent side glass lace.

The aroma was very nicely balanced, owing that to the cellar time no doubt. Rich piney hops were evident almost immediately, but a subtle sweetness had worked its way in now as well. Really nicely put together here, especially for 200 IBU's. As it warmed nice floral citrus like notes started coming through. The flavor was more of the same, nothing mouth shattering like I would have thought; this has mellowed nicely, and really become a very solid big beer. Loads of sticky, resin infused hops that just made your lips stick to your teeth, but once this moved through a nice biscuit like, bready malt base pokes around to sweeten it up a bit, providing a nice touch of depth here. Fantastic medium bodied ale, this was quite thicker then I would have expected, but had just enough carbonation to keep from becoming really syrup like. A good sipper, it took me a bit to finish this one off, but I was happy to do it. Easily finished off the bottle though and would love to get some more as that long drawn out and dry pine laced finish was just a perfect way to finish my night.

Overall this was my favorite so far of the three in the series I have tried, but I would have figured that based on my normal preferences. Still though this is more then a solid offering here and I would love to get some more of it. A quality ale from start to finish.

Hazy, dark peach color with an off-white head sitting atop. Great retention and lacing. Tangerine, grapefruit, orange, pine, a little pineapple, and some biscuit; hops are very resinous. Taste is like biting straight into an orange rind covered grapefruit, some pine comes in afterwards and leaves you with a long, sticky, resinous hop finish. Medium bodied and carbonation is a little less than medium. I think I like this a little more than my scores indicate, but either way it's a very solid beer. Thanks to AKBelgianBeast for the bottle.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Sampled 5/2/08. Shared the entire 7 beer series with fellow BAs Deuane & SierraGS. It was quite a night! Special thanks to AKBelgianBeast for trading me the complete set of these to try.

22 oz bomber into a snifter.

Pours a clear golden amber with 2 fingers of off-white foamy head. A thin, creamy retention leaves some great looking lacing behind. The aroma is sticky pine and bready malts mixed with some spice, citrus, and a waft of alcohol heft.

The taste is piney hops up front but a year on this bottle seems to have faded the freshness a bit. But saying that, there is still an obscene amounts of IBUs running rampant through this thing the whole way through the finish. The bitterness is rounded off some by a back bone of beefy bready tasting malts, a splash of citrus, and some spiciness. The mouthfeel has a medium full body with a nice carbonated feel. This is one of those beers that lets it all hang out in the alcohol department, not hiding it's beefy ABV and letting things end with hot and bitter finish.

Wow! This was a beast of a beer to start out with, with rampaging hops and a warm feel. I'm glad this was one that was shared with other, as I'm not sure that I could have taken in a full 22 oz of this palette wrecker.

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Fricking Wow! is the response from my friend and I. Actual conversation:

"Its got an orange dense hue to it"
"Like alcoholic Orange Oxyclean"

"Has a honey smell to it"
"Yeah, honey, alcohol, and piney hops, like a pine cone soaked in moonshine bleeding honey"

"It tastes sweet for something so hoppy"
"It loses its sweetness and rapes your taste buds with hops"

"I kinda like it"

Thanks to the AKBeast for the opportunity.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Thanks to Kegatron via AKBelgianBeast for the opportunity to do a vertical tasting of the entire 7 DS collection....it was quite a night!

A-Golen amber with a medium light tan head that left nice lacing.

S-Loads of sweet bready malt with a giant wave of piney hops. It is like an all out war between the malt and hops.

T-Smooth malty sweetness initially followed by a brutal smack of piney bitterness. 200 IBU huh...the human tounge cant detect 200 IBU...overkill for sure, but I like it!

M-Medium-heavy body with a very good balance. The year of aging on this mighr have something to do with that. I wonder how hop forward this was a year ago?

D-A BIG beer all around! Lots of malt and hops. Totally balanced and very nice for a brew this large.

Photo of
4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

22oz. bottle thanks to Grumpy!

Poured a hazy, orange/gold color. Covered by a modest, sand colored head, creamy in consistency. Some lacing, legs don't show very well (surprisingly).

Scent included caramel, wheat bread and peaches. Pine resin. Spicy/peppery.

Taste was much more bitter than sweet. Bitterness hung around well into the aftertaste - grass and pine. Touch of sweet in the middle, peaches and toffee. Not much, if any, citrus. Very well balanced for what it is.

Medium to full body. Low to medium carbonation. Not as dry as I expected, this wasn't a problem.

Very tasty. No issue with barleywine vs. DIPA confusion. Great bittering, but not overdone. Not sure it's a triple IPA (whatever that is anyway) but damn fine!

4.65/5  rDev +13.7%

Midnight Sun 22 Gluttony Enjoyed out of my Delirium Tulip with my bro..
I've got say I am huge Midnight Sun fan, probably my favorite brewery in the country right now.

Appearance: Full three finger head. Fades slowly. Before you even taste it you can see this one is going to be a hop monster... Very thick hop haze. Nice cloudy ruby color.
Maintained it's head right down to the very last sip.

Aroma: Big bold hop monster. This one is definetly a big boned PNW triple IPA

Flavor: Hops off the top... hops in the middle... and the a nice long finish that mellows out into a very bitter finish that makes you want to bat your tongue off the roof of you mouth. It hides it's alcohol content well.

Mouth Feel: Maybe just slightly under carbonated... but hardly enough to even notice. Nice body... clings to your mouth.

Drink ability: Gluttony... The name of the beer really says it all. I could enjoy this one a regular basis.. If MNSB would every start shipping to Boise! But for now I will just have to enjoy them when I can.

This is one I wish I had case or two of in the cellar so could pull one out every now and then and enjoy while watching the Boise State Bronco's kick ass on Saturdays. I would definitely recommended this one to any and all.

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

22 oz received in a trade with AKBelgianBeast ... mega huge thanks. Shared with my trading partner .. mine poured into my New Belgium snifter.

Nice 2 1/2 finger sticky sticky rocky sorta yellowish off white head... brew itself is hop hazed orange.

Aroma is a citrus hoppy bombshell. Coats the inside of my nostrils with grapefruit essence... not much else... sorta smells of sugar cookies.

Flavor is bracing bitter and has more than enough sweetness.. big bold and hoppy and completely unapologetic. Orange peel with a little bit of pine with a thick and very slick/oily pale malt mouthfeel... finish is dry orange peel that lingers for long after your sip. I can only sorta ding it for drinkability ... I am happy I had SAS to try it with.

Easily one of the best DIPA's I've had.. I can only imagine what it was like fresh off the tap... Oh wow would it have had a shit-ton of hop flavors. I don't think anyone is going to accuse this one as being "balanced".. but in this case it's okay because I am definitely a hop Glutton. As it warms, it sorta reminds me of Stone 10th when it was fresh... or even a fresh Hopsickle.

I can't thank AKBelgianBeast enough for this trade... Frank is without a doubt one of the best traders out there... For now .... 1 Sin down ... 6 more on my path.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Much thanks to warmstorage for this one!

This "triple" IPA pours a beautiful reddish amber color with a great 2 finger fluffy white head. This settles to leave some lacing on the glass as I drink more and more of this delicious elixir. The smell upon hitting the nose actually reminds me a bit of Hopsickle with an excellent resiny quality. There is much pine, but a definite touch of grapefruit in the hops. This just smells juicy. Love it.

So, how does the taste measure up? Quite well, I must say. The hops stand nicely in the forefront, greeting you with a resiny pine hoppiness that gives way to some juicy citric hops. The toffee/caramel sweetness gets in just a few words - enough to give the hops some background voice. Actually, the malt is altogether pretty thick - it's just that the hops are strong enough to stay ahead of that. The finish is nicely bitter, and this bitterness lingers for quite a bit. I think this is one of the best tasting DIPAs outside of California actually. Then again, I love them unbalanced toward the hops, so that may be part of the reason.

The body of this beer is everything I want in this style - rich, thick - yet with enough carbonation and hoppiness to keep it far from being syrupy. As for drinkability? Well, I'm having no problem with that.

A highly recommended hoppy and strong DIPA. If you enjoy Hopsickle, Hop 15, Devil Dancer or the like, try to get this beer and give it a try.

4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

22 ounce bottle, $9.99 at Brown Jug Warehouse, Anchorage, AK on 1-11-2008. (Notably, they currently have ALL SEVEN of the Seven Deadly Sins Series for sale in the MSBC stand-alone cold case!)

Appearance: deep bright orange, off-white to very light tan head, dense, light to moderate lacing.

Aroma: hops! pine, citrus, tangerine, orange.

Taste: full thick sweet HOPS! again, lots of citrus and sweet tangy fruit: tangerine, orange, tangerine and little bits of grapefruit and possibly pine. Damn delicious. Just what I want a beer to be. The malt backbone and alcohol level back up the hop punch in a perfectly balanced way. A slightly perfumey-sweet hop spice presence.

Mouth: slightly thick and warm with alcohol (though not nearly what one might expect with 10.5% ABV) and lingers long with hops.

Overall: the best of the Seven Deadly Sins Series by far, IMO. I missed this initial release of Gluttony, and haven't been really amazed with any of the others (though I liked Sloth quite a bit, and Lust a whole lot.)

I'm okay with saying it: I LOVE this stuff. Delicious. Out of balance for any reasonable beer, but c'mon people: this is being advertised as a "Triple IPA", a style that doesn't even really exist, to warn you that unless you really, really, really love HUGE hops, and not just in a "but I really like Victory Hop Devil" sort of way, you really shouldn't lay out the $10 bucks for this one. If you really do love hops, though, go ahead and lay it out: unless the bottle has been badly treated (and FWIW, I have no great faith in Brown Jug Warehouse) I guarantee you'll be happy. My guarantee? (and no, I don't work for MSBC in any way: see my reviews of their other beers) If you're not delighted, tell me why, send me the link to your BA profile, then come to my house in Anchorage, and I'll break something special out of the cellar. Bring a designated driver or a taxi phone number, 'cause I ain't driving you home.

3.05/5  rDev -25.4%

Fresh from a trade in Alaska. Thanks to Khiasmus for sharin'.

Gluttony calls itself a "triple IPA" which strikes me as both pretentious and a lot to live up to. Let's see...

Pours a rich syrupy maple-red. Billowy white head, great lacing. Ok, so far so good.

Smells like a hop bomb. Acidic, metallic, grapefruit hops dominate. Very sugary. Lots of pine resin in there too, but reeks of overhopping and the alcohol is quite prominent.

Ya, this is a swig of hop juice... lots of varied hops here, I'm sure I'm tasting Simco. Very bitter and citrus-y. Acidic. Hops are all over the mouth. The malty sweetness is hidden far far behind the hop forest, and in my opinion should be more at the forefront.

Mouthfeel is slick and syrupy. Exceedingly bitter hop aftertaste.

You know, the more of these overhopped DIPAs I have the more I dislike them. Gluttony is incredibly hoppy, yes, but that's about where the goodness ends. It simply doesn't have any balance, and is a lot less drinkable than both DFH's 90 Minute (a textbook example of balance for the style, in my mind) and Southern Tier's Unearthly, which while excessive, is MUCH more balanced and dare I say, restrained.

I couldn't and didn't want more than 6 ounces of Gluttony, hence the relatively low score. I'm just not impressed by the brewers who mix up a huge grain bill and hop the $&!% out of a beer and proclaim it "monstrous" "huge" or "Imperial." Let's get back to the basics, folks.

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

Whoa! This beer is labeled as a triple IPA, and I can see why. It pours a transparent brown/red. Great head with wonderful lace. Nose is hoppy as hell with some sugar and flower notes. The taste is kind of sweet at first with thick mouthfeel, then as the mouthfeel thins and it goes down you go on a ride of hops. A very long, steady ride. It seems like the hop flavor is weak at first but then it keeps on creeping and creeping up throughout the finish. when you breathe in again, more hops abound. Very good hop flavor, and smooth, caramely mouthfeel. Drinkability I would say could be better, but for the love of god you poured a triple IPA, you should have expected that. fine offering from m sun, the alaskan IPA masters.

4.45/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Burnt orange, slightly cloudy, with two fingers of cream colored head That lasts and settles as a pretty soapy layer.

S- Tons of caramel, Piney and citrusy hops, excellent balance and one of the best noses on an imperial IPA that I've had.

T- Very sweet and caramelly up front, with crystallized malt and then an immensely bitter aftertaste, where the hop character comes in wonderfully. A little of the alcohol is evident, but the whole impression is one of sweet maltiness up front and then millions of IBU's :-) yum.

M- Medium bodied with low carbonation and a dry, astringent finish.

D- This is the hophead's delight. Wonderful. I'd love many more of them.

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Triple IPA, eh? Pours a dusky orange-copper with light around the edges. Tall, frothy, lacy, off-cream head towers above. Looks great! Very strong, pungent nose is detectable from a foot away. Raw hop cones, hop oil, and herbal bitterness exude from the glass. Slightly metallic, with a strong floral component as well. Sugar cookie malt barely cuts through.

Taste is absolutely jam-packed with hop flavor and bitterness. Piney, resinous, herbal, metallic, pineapple, grapefruit--they are all in there. Some malty caramel/toffee sweetness and fruit come through, but just a smidge. Numbing, warming, tastebud killing hop finish drives the point home: this beer is loaded with hops!! Wow. This may be the hoppiest beer I have ever tried. Medium-bodied with a slightly sticky feel. Gentle carbonation. After 22 oz. of this my tongue is going to need a break.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

Originally reviewed March 31, 2007. Bottle thanks to Chris. A near armpit-stink hop aroma. So powerful it edges into sweaty onions and biting metallic rushes. Sometimes it catches you with a pleasant glow of very floral and citric hop characters, but most often a surprisingly pungent blast. A new level of hop aroma, not necessarily good. Pours an an amber gold, with silky lacing white. Flavor is dominated by sticky Cardamon hop cone sugars, leaving with burgeoning floral character. Dries out in tangerine skin.

Gluttony from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.