Gluttony - Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

GluttonyGluttony

good

Midnight Sun Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

GLUTTONY Triple IPA overindulges the palate with profound malt, powerful hops and abundant body. Its deep decadent golden orange color presents an appetizing invitation for extravagant enjoyment. Its aroma entices with citrus, pine and alcohol while the flavor provides a smorgasbord of sweet malt, fresh tangerine/grapefruit and a resinous hop character that lingers well beyond the finish.

(Beer added by: beersabound on 02-24-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gluttony Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +11.9%

This is another great Midnight Sun beer brought to me by AKbelgianbeast. He knows how to pick em.

A- This is a nice looking beer. A hazy golden amber with a nice two finger head that is chunky with a good mix of large and small bubbles tightly packed together.

S- The hops are sweet and tangy. Nice wonderful citric fruity smell. This is a great smelling beer.

T- This is almost as good, if not better tasting then Pliny the Elder. The hops kick some serious taste bud ass. Grapefruit and lemon are having an orgy in my mouth. Throw in some malty goodness and thats one sexy package. The hop taste is strong, yet balanced out well by the malt. The bottle says Triple IPA, and this is very balanced. This is a great beer, another home run for Midnight Sun.

M- Nice combination of thickness and carbination. They play well in the sandbox together.

D- Hell yes.

Wetpaperbag, Oct 23, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottle courtesy of NoonanDBarbarian poured into a tulip. This is my first of the sins series and I've been looking forward to them.

A: Pours a deep, slightly hazy amber with a big fluffy white head that shows great retention and sheets of lacing down the glass.

S: The aroma is a massive juicy sweet hop explosion. Grapefruit and pine play major roles with some sweet caramel maltiness in the background.

T: The pine hops are prevalent up front in the taste and give way to a sizable caramel malt base. The citrus hops kick in after the malts and leave a nice sticky finish with a pleasant bitterness.

M: Mouthfeel is smooth but sticky with hop resin with just the right amount of bitterness.

D: A good IIPA with a solid balance of big hops and malts. A nice start to my seven deadly sins experience and I'm eagerly anticipating the rest.

gford217, Oct 12, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +10.2%

AKBelgianBeast hooked me up with delicious brew. I used my Mad Elf Chalice glass to pour it into.

A - Pours 2 fingers of thick off-white head. It has great retention and leaves nice amounts of lacing. It is a very dark orange that you can't see through.

S - A very powerful aroma comes off this beer you can smell it right away as it is being poured without having to be close to the beer. There is a lot of citrus and piny hops. The strength of the hops in the aroma lets you know this definitely isn't your ordinary IPA or imperial IPA for that matter.

M - A medium bodied beer that feels nice and slick from the hops oil. It feels like the inside of your mouth is slightly scorched after it goes down.

T - Loads of flavor, begins with the sweet malt which blends beautifully into the citrus and grapefruit flavor. It ends with the piny hops with a note of sweetness reappearing. It also leaves a nice bitterness that lingers after swallowing. There is a definite warming sensation in the throat and stomach from the high alcohol content which is nicely hidden.

A great extreme hoppy beer that lives up to the "triple" in the name. If you love hops and are ever near Anchorage, Alaska this is a must have.

boralyl, Sep 02, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: Slightly hazy, deep gold colored brew with a sticky golden-white head.

Smell: Intense hop aroma. Butter, citrus and pine.

Taste: Intense hop flavor evolves from citrus to pine profile during the taste. Mellow finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Slightly oily.

Drinkablity: This was my last 7 deadly sin brew. Very good "triple IPA" that did not seem as bitter as advertised.

SargeC, Sep 01, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

thanks to AKBelgianBeast for this extra, pored from a 22 oz bottle into my 2006 dvval tulip glass

this is my first tripal ipa, and a damm fine one at that, this one screamsof flral hops in boath taste and smell. this one is the purfict combanation of sweet malt and HUGH bitter hops at the end. i consider myself blessed to have had one of these!!! you guys from up their "suck", no i am just kiding because i wish that this brewery was in my back yard, this is the first beer from alaska and this brewery for me, if the rest of their brews are as good as this one than thay are all top shelf

orcasteve, Aug 28, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Twenty two ounce bottle that has been cellared for the better part of a year. Served cold out of the fridge, but allowed to warm up throughout the tasting. Poured into an oversized wine glass. Consumed on 07/17/2008.

A big thanks again goes out to Frank for this one. This is night three of my seven deadly sins. I am doing them all in a row, on seven consecutive nights. Last night I was tired and was only having one beer, so I thought I would destroy my palate with this monster. The pour was lovely. A deep, rich, amber color, which was highlighted with nice accents of orange. Lots of haze here as well, with an almost opaque cloudiness to it. Nice two finger head which came up quickly but then faded down to only a thin solid quarter inch layer with decent side glass lace.

The aroma was very nicely balanced, owing that to the cellar time no doubt. Rich piney hops were evident almost immediately, but a subtle sweetness had worked its way in now as well. Really nicely put together here, especially for 200 IBU's. As it warmed nice floral citrus like notes started coming through. The flavor was more of the same, nothing mouth shattering like I would have thought; this has mellowed nicely, and really become a very solid big beer. Loads of sticky, resin infused hops that just made your lips stick to your teeth, but once this moved through a nice biscuit like, bready malt base pokes around to sweeten it up a bit, providing a nice touch of depth here. Fantastic medium bodied ale, this was quite thicker then I would have expected, but had just enough carbonation to keep from becoming really syrup like. A good sipper, it took me a bit to finish this one off, but I was happy to do it. Easily finished off the bottle though and would love to get some more as that long drawn out and dry pine laced finish was just a perfect way to finish my night.

Overall this was my favorite so far of the three in the series I have tried, but I would have figured that based on my normal preferences. Still though this is more then a solid offering here and I would love to get some more of it. A quality ale from start to finish.

mikesgroove, Jul 19, 2008

Hazy, dark peach color with an off-white head sitting atop. Great retention and lacing. Tangerine, grapefruit, orange, pine, a little pineapple, and some biscuit; hops are very resinous. Taste is like biting straight into an orange rind covered grapefruit, some pine comes in afterwards and leaves you with a long, sticky, resinous hop finish. Medium bodied and carbonation is a little less than medium. I think I like this a little more than my scores indicate, but either way it's a very solid beer. Thanks to AKBelgianBeast for the bottle.

badbeer, Jul 07, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +1%

Sampled 5/2/08. Shared the entire 7 beer series with fellow BAs Deuane & SierraGS. It was quite a night! Special thanks to AKBelgianBeast for trading me the complete set of these to try.

22 oz bomber into a snifter.

Pours a clear golden amber with 2 fingers of off-white foamy head. A thin, creamy retention leaves some great looking lacing behind. The aroma is sticky pine and bready malts mixed with some spice, citrus, and a waft of alcohol heft.

The taste is piney hops up front but a year on this bottle seems to have faded the freshness a bit. But saying that, there is still an obscene amounts of IBUs running rampant through this thing the whole way through the finish. The bitterness is rounded off some by a back bone of beefy bready tasting malts, a splash of citrus, and some spiciness. The mouthfeel has a medium full body with a nice carbonated feel. This is one of those beers that lets it all hang out in the alcohol department, not hiding it's beefy ABV and letting things end with hot and bitter finish.

Wow! This was a beast of a beer to start out with, with rampaging hops and a warm feel. I'm glad this was one that was shared with other, as I'm not sure that I could have taken in a full 22 oz of this palette wrecker.

Kegatron, Jun 02, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Fricking Wow! is the response from my friend and I. Actual conversation:

"Its got an orange dense hue to it"
"Like alcoholic Orange Oxyclean"

"Has a honey smell to it"
"Yeah, honey, alcohol, and piney hops, like a pine cone soaked in moonshine bleeding honey"

"It tastes sweet for something so hoppy"
"It loses its sweetness and rapes your taste buds with hops"

"I kinda like it"

Thanks to the AKBeast for the opportunity.

Murchmac, May 25, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Thanks to Kegatron via AKBelgianBeast for the opportunity to do a vertical tasting of the entire 7 DS collection....it was quite a night!

A-Golen amber with a medium light tan head that left nice lacing.

S-Loads of sweet bready malt with a giant wave of piney hops. It is like an all out war between the malt and hops.

T-Smooth malty sweetness initially followed by a brutal smack of piney bitterness. 200 IBU huh...the human tounge cant detect 200 IBU...overkill for sure, but I like it!

M-Medium-heavy body with a very good balance. The year of aging on this mighr have something to do with that. I wonder how hop forward this was a year ago?

D-A BIG beer all around! Lots of malt and hops. Totally balanced and very nice for a brew this large.

Deuane, May 06, 2008
Photo of
4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

22oz. bottle thanks to Grumpy!

Poured a hazy, orange/gold color. Covered by a modest, sand colored head, creamy in consistency. Some lacing, legs don't show very well (surprisingly).

Scent included caramel, wheat bread and peaches. Pine resin. Spicy/peppery.

Taste was much more bitter than sweet. Bitterness hung around well into the aftertaste - grass and pine. Touch of sweet in the middle, peaches and toffee. Not much, if any, citrus. Very well balanced for what it is.

Medium to full body. Low to medium carbonation. Not as dry as I expected, this wasn't a problem.

Very tasty. No issue with barleywine vs. DIPA confusion. Great bittering, but not overdone. Not sure it's a triple IPA (whatever that is anyway) but damn fine!

, Apr 24, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +13.1%

Midnight Sun 22 Gluttony Enjoyed out of my Delirium Tulip with my bro..
I've got say I am huge Midnight Sun fan, probably my favorite brewery in the country right now.

Appearance: Full three finger head. Fades slowly. Before you even taste it you can see this one is going to be a hop monster... Very thick hop haze. Nice cloudy ruby color.
Maintained it's head right down to the very last sip.

Aroma: Big bold hop monster. This one is definetly a big boned PNW triple IPA

Flavor: Hops off the top... hops in the middle... and the a nice long finish that mellows out into a very bitter finish that makes you want to bat your tongue off the roof of you mouth. It hides it's alcohol content well.

Mouth Feel: Maybe just slightly under carbonated... but hardly enough to even notice. Nice body... clings to your mouth.

Drink ability: Gluttony... The name of the beer really says it all. I could enjoy this one a regular basis.. If MNSB would every start shipping to Boise! But for now I will just have to enjoy them when I can.

This is one I wish I had case or two of in the cellar so could pull one out every now and then and enjoy while watching the Boise State Bronco's kick ass on Saturdays. I would definitely recommended this one to any and all.

SAS, Apr 20, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

22 oz received in a trade with AKBelgianBeast ... mega huge thanks. Shared with my trading partner .. mine poured into my New Belgium snifter.

Nice 2 1/2 finger sticky sticky rocky sorta yellowish off white head... brew itself is hop hazed orange.

Aroma is a citrus hoppy bombshell. Coats the inside of my nostrils with grapefruit essence... not much else... sorta smells of sugar cookies.

Flavor is bracing bitter and has more than enough sweetness.. big bold and hoppy and completely unapologetic. Orange peel with a little bit of pine with a thick and very slick/oily pale malt mouthfeel... finish is dry orange peel that lingers for long after your sip. I can only sorta ding it for drinkability ... I am happy I had SAS to try it with.

Easily one of the best DIPA's I've had.. I can only imagine what it was like fresh off the tap... Oh wow would it have had a shit-ton of hop flavors. I don't think anyone is going to accuse this one as being "balanced".. but in this case it's okay because I am definitely a hop Glutton. As it warms, it sorta reminds me of Stone 10th when it was fresh... or even a fresh Hopsickle.

I can't thank AKBelgianBeast enough for this trade... Frank is without a doubt one of the best traders out there... For now .... 1 Sin down ... 6 more on my path.

JohnGalt1, Apr 11, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Much thanks to warmstorage for this one!

This "triple" IPA pours a beautiful reddish amber color with a great 2 finger fluffy white head. This settles to leave some lacing on the glass as I drink more and more of this delicious elixir. The smell upon hitting the nose actually reminds me a bit of Hopsickle with an excellent resiny quality. There is much pine, but a definite touch of grapefruit in the hops. This just smells juicy. Love it.

So, how does the taste measure up? Quite well, I must say. The hops stand nicely in the forefront, greeting you with a resiny pine hoppiness that gives way to some juicy citric hops. The toffee/caramel sweetness gets in just a few words - enough to give the hops some background voice. Actually, the malt is altogether pretty thick - it's just that the hops are strong enough to stay ahead of that. The finish is nicely bitter, and this bitterness lingers for quite a bit. I think this is one of the best tasting DIPAs outside of California actually. Then again, I love them unbalanced toward the hops, so that may be part of the reason.

The body of this beer is everything I want in this style - rich, thick - yet with enough carbonation and hoppiness to keep it far from being syrupy. As for drinkability? Well, I'm having no problem with that.

A highly recommended hoppy and strong DIPA. If you enjoy Hopsickle, Hop 15, Devil Dancer or the like, try to get this beer and give it a try.

rallison, Jan 23, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

22 ounce bottle, $9.99 at Brown Jug Warehouse, Anchorage, AK on 1-11-2008. (Notably, they currently have ALL SEVEN of the Seven Deadly Sins Series for sale in the MSBC stand-alone cold case!)

Appearance: deep bright orange, off-white to very light tan head, dense, light to moderate lacing.

Aroma: hops! pine, citrus, tangerine, orange.

Taste: full thick sweet HOPS! again, lots of citrus and sweet tangy fruit: tangerine, orange, tangerine and little bits of grapefruit and possibly pine. Damn delicious. Just what I want a beer to be. The malt backbone and alcohol level back up the hop punch in a perfectly balanced way. A slightly perfumey-sweet hop spice presence.

Mouth: slightly thick and warm with alcohol (though not nearly what one might expect with 10.5% ABV) and lingers long with hops.

Overall: the best of the Seven Deadly Sins Series by far, IMO. I missed this initial release of Gluttony, and haven't been really amazed with any of the others (though I liked Sloth quite a bit, and Lust a whole lot.)

I'm okay with saying it: I LOVE this stuff. Delicious. Out of balance for any reasonable beer, but c'mon people: this is being advertised as a "Triple IPA", a style that doesn't even really exist, to warn you that unless you really, really, really love HUGE hops, and not just in a "but I really like Victory Hop Devil" sort of way, you really shouldn't lay out the $10 bucks for this one. If you really do love hops, though, go ahead and lay it out: unless the bottle has been badly treated (and FWIW, I have no great faith in Brown Jug Warehouse) I guarantee you'll be happy. My guarantee? (and no, I don't work for MSBC in any way: see my reviews of their other beers) If you're not delighted, tell me why, send me the link to your BA profile, then come to my house in Anchorage, and I'll break something special out of the cellar. Bring a designated driver or a taxi phone number, 'cause I ain't driving you home.

warmstorage, Jan 12, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -25.8%

Fresh from a trade in Alaska. Thanks to Khiasmus for sharin'.

Gluttony calls itself a "triple IPA" which strikes me as both pretentious and a lot to live up to. Let's see...

Pours a rich syrupy maple-red. Billowy white head, great lacing. Ok, so far so good.

Smells like a hop bomb. Acidic, metallic, grapefruit hops dominate. Very sugary. Lots of pine resin in there too, but reeks of overhopping and the alcohol is quite prominent.

Ya, this is a swig of hop juice... lots of varied hops here, I'm sure I'm tasting Simco. Very bitter and citrus-y. Acidic. Hops are all over the mouth. The malty sweetness is hidden far far behind the hop forest, and in my opinion should be more at the forefront.

Mouthfeel is slick and syrupy. Exceedingly bitter hop aftertaste.

You know, the more of these overhopped DIPAs I have the more I dislike them. Gluttony is incredibly hoppy, yes, but that's about where the goodness ends. It simply doesn't have any balance, and is a lot less drinkable than both DFH's 90 Minute (a textbook example of balance for the style, in my mind) and Southern Tier's Unearthly, which while excessive, is MUCH more balanced and dare I say, restrained.

I couldn't and didn't want more than 6 ounces of Gluttony, hence the relatively low score. I'm just not impressed by the brewers who mix up a huge grain bill and hop the $&!% out of a beer and proclaim it "monstrous" "huge" or "Imperial." Let's get back to the basics, folks.

kkipple, Dec 30, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +10.2%

Whoa! This beer is labeled as a triple IPA, and I can see why. It pours a transparent brown/red. Great head with wonderful lace. Nose is hoppy as hell with some sugar and flower notes. The taste is kind of sweet at first with thick mouthfeel, then as the mouthfeel thins and it goes down you go on a ride of hops. A very long, steady ride. It seems like the hop flavor is weak at first but then it keeps on creeping and creeping up throughout the finish. when you breathe in again, more hops abound. Very good hop flavor, and smooth, caramely mouthfeel. Drinkability I would say could be better, but for the love of god you poured a triple IPA, you should have expected that. fine offering from m sun, the alaskan IPA masters.

AKBelgianBeast, Dec 24, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Burnt orange, slightly cloudy, with two fingers of cream colored head That lasts and settles as a pretty soapy layer.

S- Tons of caramel, Piney and citrusy hops, excellent balance and one of the best noses on an imperial IPA that I've had.

T- Very sweet and caramelly up front, with crystallized malt and then an immensely bitter aftertaste, where the hop character comes in wonderfully. A little of the alcohol is evident, but the whole impression is one of sweet maltiness up front and then millions of IBU's :-) yum.

M- Medium bodied with low carbonation and a dry, astringent finish.

D- This is the hophead's delight. Wonderful. I'd love many more of them.

khiasmus, Aug 30, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Triple IPA, eh? Pours a dusky orange-copper with light around the edges. Tall, frothy, lacy, off-cream head towers above. Looks great! Very strong, pungent nose is detectable from a foot away. Raw hop cones, hop oil, and herbal bitterness exude from the glass. Slightly metallic, with a strong floral component as well. Sugar cookie malt barely cuts through.

Taste is absolutely jam-packed with hop flavor and bitterness. Piney, resinous, herbal, metallic, pineapple, grapefruit--they are all in there. Some malty caramel/toffee sweetness and fruit come through, but just a smidge. Numbing, warming, tastebud killing hop finish drives the point home: this beer is loaded with hops!! Wow. This may be the hoppiest beer I have ever tried. Medium-bodied with a slightly sticky feel. Gentle carbonation. After 22 oz. of this my tongue is going to need a break.

alexgash, Aug 18, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

Originally reviewed March 31, 2007. Bottle thanks to Chris. A near armpit-stink hop aroma. So powerful it edges into sweaty onions and biting metallic rushes. Sometimes it catches you with a pleasant glow of very floral and citric hop characters, but most often a surprisingly pungent blast. A new level of hop aroma, not necessarily good. Pours an an amber gold, with silky lacing white. Flavor is dominated by sticky Cardamon hop cone sugars, leaving with burgeoning floral character. Dries out in tangerine skin.

CharlesDarwin, Jul 21, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -7.5%

Thanks to hopdog for sharing this...
Appears a transparent amber toned gold with a small white cap that fades into a mild, foamy film. Streaky lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of huge grapefruit, sugary orange peel, vanilla cream, and sugar filled malt.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with bitter candy oranges standing out making for a ballsy DIPA.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, bitter as hell, and IMHO, in need of some more balance. It's just too skewed towards the bitterness.

weeare138, Jul 19, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a medium copper to rusty orange in color, fairly cloudy, a good sized off white head recedes very slowly, lacing as it does. Aroma is big on tropical fruits, papaya, mango, and pineapple as well as a strong citrusy sweet tangerine. A soft candy sugariness from the malts works to accentuate these aromas. Taste is in the same vein up front with malty sweetness and tropical fruits and tangerines mingling together. A pepperiness begins to develop mid taste and grows stronger into a good sized bitter bite that is slightly piney and shows some of the alcohol strength. Decent soft malty body balances nicely the hop aromas and bitterness in the medium body. Reminds me quite a bit of a slightly maltier hopslam. Very tasty beer with a very nice bitterness, not palate wrecking, just a deep strong bitter flavor and feel. Only downside for me is no fault of the beer, just personally I am not big on whatever hop variety(s) leads to the tropical fruit notes. Thanks Tim for the opportunity.

hoppymeal, May 28, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours pale orange with substantial carbonation and slight cloudiness. Aroma is piney, citrusy hops, and nothing but hops. Flavor is pine and citrus masked by huge bitterness. A long bitter aftertaste makes identifying specific hops difficult, as least for me. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, astringent, and prickly.

I think this beer needs a few months in the cellar. The actual hop flavors and the malt sweetness and balance need to wait for a bit of the initial hop bitterness to mellow. Don't worry, hopheads, it claims 200 IBUs on the label. A few months won't hurt!

I expect to be able to update this review down the road with a much higher score.

11/16/07 update: OK, as threatened, I'm back. It's been several months, and Gluttony has transformed itself from a caustic mass of indistinguishable hop flavors into a rich, thick, balanced, luxury-edition DIPA. Lots of pine and floral flavors, nice pale malt sweetness, and oily mouthfeel. I have raised my scores accordingly.

grumpy, May 01, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +8.3%

Holy hops! A Triple IPA that lives up to the billing and then some. In fact this makes Devil Dancer seem balanced. It reminds me of a just bottled Old Crusty. Totally untamed and over the top.

Appearance is copper but cloudy. What the hell? Held up to the light I swear I see partially disolved hops, though I know it's just yeast in suspension from this beer's long journey to me. Light whispy egg-shell white Brussel's lace is deposited around the glass with each sip.

Smell is all hops -- 200 ibus of hops in all their glory. Grapefruit and pine dominate. Maybe it's disolved pine car fresheners I see in this beer. Is that a flat green tree floating by? A whiff of tangerine can be caught as well.

And guess what? Yep, this beer's taste is all about the hops. Significantly bitter with just a touch of hot alcohol and malt sweetness. You know there's a ton of malt used in this brew by its 10.5 percent alcohol but you have to search to find it.

Mouthfeel is creamy, with a slight stickiness on the lips which could be from the hops just as much as from the malt.

To me, this is as far as you can take an American IPA. This beer has pushed the hop threshold to the limit and it certainly lives up to its name. This is certainly more than one requires (as is the very definition of gluttony), but when you want to indulge your hop fix, you'd be hard pressed to find another beer that could do it better. That said, one and done at a sitting is certainly the case with this one

Thanks Tim (Beersabound) for the chance to experience another winner from Midnight Sun.

Rochefort10nh, Apr 18, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark orange color, a bit cloudy, and with a nice head. Good looking beer!

Aromas are strong... resin, pine, and a hint of alcohol are noted. This is a great smelling beer.

Flavor is crisp and dry up front, then the taste is thick and full bodied. Upon the first sip you notice the dry quality, then the malts kick in with a firm and sturdy slightly sweet and creamy backbone. The beer finishes with a resin and pine like hop kick. Excellent tasting beer!

Mouthfeel is top notch. The thick and roundness of this beer is well done.

Drinkability is way up there. This is easily one of the best DIPAs I have ever tasted. Well done Midnight Sun! I am impressed! Too bad this beer wasn't more widely distributed, it is a winner.

Many thanks to beersabound for sending me this one.

flexabull, Apr 01, 2007
Gluttony from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.