Obliteration II - Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

Obliteration IIObliteration II

Midnight Sun Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

(Beer added by: beersabound on 09-29-2007)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.83/5  rDev +22%

I had the pleasure of getting this lovely bottle from tayner last week, Thanks Again Dana! You are truly one of a kind. I was most excited to try this one, as to be honest it is my favorite style, and will always be no matter how much I say I love the stouts. This one had eluded me for quite some time, so I took it at the first chance I could, and made sure I was not planning on doing any more tasting this evening, that's for sure.

Appearance - The pour was beautiful. A rich hazy and cloudy deep orange amber color was formed in the glass in front of me. Really just very nice looking, with essentially the perfect color to it. There was a nice three finger high head of sticky lace that was on top of the liquid, which hung around for a good few moments before settling down to a nice half inch layer that stuck around throughout the entire session. Really very solid looking with a tremendous amount of side glass lace. I was thrilled to be diving into this one.

Smell - Now others have complained of the lack of balance in this one, you know what...that's what I was looking for in something called OBLITERATION! Huge amounts of fresh hops are ripping through this one. Lots of grapefruit, tangerine, and pineapple just exploding all around. The slightest touch of sweetness perks its head up, but it is more of a candy sugar type sweetness that is quickly shunned aside. This had to have the best smell for a double IPA I have ever had. Just rip roaring huge hops with nothing in between.

Taste - The flavor was nothing short of a hoppy dream come true. Really, the most intense hoppy flavor I have experienced in my life. It was just sublime. The rich taste of grapefruit is all over this thing. Just intensely fresh and overpowering, I was amazed by how good it actually was. Lots of pineapple and orange as well, hints of tangerine and any other kind of citrus you could possibly imagine. Just incredibly intense with a jaw dropping freshness. There was literally nothing left of my tongue by the time I finished this one, it was just what I had hopped for, it was Obliteration! The finish was intensely dry and left every last bit of moisture vacant from my face. Just like chewing on fresh hops, wonderful.

Mouth - The feel was a very nice medium-bodied ale with a good carbonation profile. Super smooth texture on the tongue and a really great finish, I mean how much more could you really ask for? This was just slammin!

Drinkability - Not for the lighthearted, this was one you had to build your way up to. It is just pure hops, nothing more, and if you are planning on eating or drinking afterward, that is going to be a no go. It was just perfect for me though as it was my nightcap and a wonderful one.

Overall, if you can tolerate, and even love the one sided hop assault, this one is definitely for you. It was tremendously intense and bitter, but definitely complex enough to keep you interested. One of the best lopsided hoppy IIPA's I have ever had, this was just that good for me. Thanks again Dana, I needed this one last night!

04-17-2008 23:19:42 | More by mikesgroove
Muddybuddy

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

Served from a 22, this beer is exceptional in every sense of the word.

The appearace is that of a rich and warm darkish (for an ipa) beer that leaves nice lace upon the glass.

It smells of white pepper as if someone was making shrimp scampi in the other room while you were driniking it with a whiff of corriander.

The taste of this DIPA is one of more spice than of bitterness and makes me want to drink more just to taste it again.

The feel is very warm and inviting such that I wish I wasn't splitting this 22 oh so thick.

This beer is best enjoyed a single serving at a time due to the alcohol, but well worth the intoxication endured...

11-03-2007 12:08:24 | More by Muddybuddy
Photo of

4.58/5  rDev +15.7%

22oz. bottle filled with Summit, Crystal, Columbus, Simcoe and Amarillo hops.

Poured a hazy, yellow/brown. Medium sized, creamy, ivory colored head. Some legs, OK lacing (somewhat surprising). Not the most appealing beer from appearance.

Scent gave me pine, some citrus and pineapple. Hint of toffee, or something sweet, drowning in hops. Earthiness.

Wow - that is one hoppy beer. I don't think I'm obliterated, but it packs a nice punch. Big, lingering bitterness, pine & grass. Strong malt support, crackery with just a bit of caramel. Some peach in there? Alcohol very well hidden, only noticed it as the beer warmed and drank the last few ounces.

Medium in body. Medium carbonation. Bone dry, almost astringent.

I love it! A hop blast, yet dry and relatively light - - San Diego style. Terribly unfair that I will probably never have this again. If you haven't figured it out yet, I really liked this one and was practically licking the foam out of the glass.

07-15-2008 15:00:37 | More by
Floydster

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

22 ounce bomber purchased from Liquid Solutions in Oregon for about nine dollars, took an hour and a half to finish this while watching Heroes tonight

Drank this one before the Thirsty Dog Siberian Night Imperial Stout, just reviewed that one while I was drinking it, that is why this comes after

Poured into my Duvel tulip glass with a deep golden yellow orange color and a creamy 1/2 white head that settled pretty quickly, left tons of sticky lacing

Smell was grass, herbs, honey, and just loads of hoppy aromas, also a small amount of tangerine and grapefruit, was not as much citrus in this one as I thought it would have, but the hops smelled amazing

Taste was great for a DIPA, seriously bitter with 100 IBUs and five different hops used, a bit of a skunkiness to this and the hoppiness was complex, pungent with a strong kick at the end, could taste any fruity flavors, this one was purely chinook and other dry hop varities, not syrupy like most double IPAs either, almost a sour finish when it got warmer, just a strong alcoholic taste, this would have been an interesting one to age for a little while, maybe some citrus and sweet malt would have eventually surfaced like the smell made me originally think, this one had a real earthy taste and the hops provided a nice piney flavor overall

Lots of carbonation and a full body, taste lasted minutes afterwards, good mouthfeel for an extremely bitter beer

Could drink this one all night if it was not for its eight percent pluis ABV, it is light and easy on the stomach, the taste kept me coming back for more, a bomber was no problem to get through, wish I had another bottle

First Midnight Sun beer and it was great, who would have known such a great beer would come from Alaska, probably one of the better DIPAs I have drank recently, even though the bomber was expensive, I highly recommend it, it is supposed to be pretty limited stuff too with only about one hundred cases I was told, glad I got to try the second round of their Obliteration series

11-27-2007 16:30:07 | More by Floydster
beersabound

Alaska

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

This is a kind DIPA. 100 IBUs full of Summit, Crystal, Columbus, Simcoe and Amarillo. A rich gold hue flows from the bottle creating a tight, creamy white head. The big spicy, citrusy aroma is a joy. A enamel stripper for sure. A thorough, fantastic bitterness wrecks the palate. I've also thought that a good IPA is one that you taste in belch an hour after drinking. This fulfills that requirement very well.

09-29-2007 03:09:26 | More by beersabound
hophead247

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

Dark amber pour with a nice sandy head. Nose is rich with citrus and pine. Caramel sweet too. Flavor is big ol' bitters with lots of pine and citrus. A bit dry, and hop dominated. Very little malt presence. I like the hops and keep 'em comin for sure, but a little more malt balance would go a long way. Thank you Anna Lisa.

02-14-2010 06:20:19 | More by hophead247
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

Obliteration II pours a hazy orange/peach color. The nose reeks of hops and citrus fruit. The head is one finger with nice lace and retains very well. First taste is of glorious summit and crystal hops. Very citrusy and particularly grapefruit flavors. The hops speak volumes in this brew. The finish is a good bitter bite. Smooth going down, dry. Aftertaste lingers for quite sometime in the back of the throat. mouthfeel is great, perfect for a DIPA. Drinkability is high for an IPA of this caliber, with 100 IBUs as well. Yet another hophead brew from the hopmasters at m sun. IPAs are becoming a real strongsuit here. Every IPA brew from m sun is great. the honored cohoho. the 2000 alpha king sockeye red, oblit 1 and 2, gluttony, and wrath. If you like IPA, this brew is for you!

12-29-2007 04:42:03 | More by AKBelgianBeast
brewandbbq

New Hampshire

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours identical to Obliteration 1, but perhaps slightly more carbonated and a bit more lacework.
Aromatics are plenty pungent with a nice, juicy, tropical overtone.
Dark green cut grass with piths of grapefruit and tangerines.
Aggresive in the nose with a decent whiff of floral hops in the mix.
Mouthfeel is medium, but somewhat sticky and chewy.
The pallet is brazenly hoppy, with heavy-handed bittering and an almost abrasive nature. Far from smooth and balanced, with light malt, extremely drying, and massively bitter.
Hop flavors are loaded with more grapefruit and lemon pith, bitter orange peel, and woody resin. An almost bark-like earthy quality.
Alcohol is warming but barely noticable amongst the bonanza of IBU's.
A little bigger than Obliteration 1, and mostly in the bittering department, and the aromatics are slightly favorable.
While the aromatics are better, the overall drinkability suffers a bit from the extremely bitter nature.
Big thanks to Timmcd64 for another Alaskan hop-bomb!

11-07-2007 00:46:16 | More by brewandbbq
SargeC

Japan

4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance: Hazy orange-gold brew with a dense manila head.

Smell: Big hop presence features pine and citrus aromas.

Taste: Wonderful blend of hops. Creates a unique flavor that seems to change with every sip. The citrus flavors dominate while still allowing the malt to appear.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Creamy smooth with an extra dry finish.

Drinkablity: An interesting hop based brew from Midnight Sun.

02-25-2008 06:05:25 | More by SargeC
BeerBelcher

4.18/5  rDev +5.6%

Whoa, there's a lot of pineapple in there! This beer has a ton of pineapple aroma and dry bitterness in spades. I thought it delicious. The best DIPA I've had in months.

It poured an opaque orange color with a wisp of head. Aroma is tons of pineapple, and is totally delicious. Flavor is also quite good although not quite as good as the aroma. It is bitterly dry and astringent, but hey I like that kind of thing.

Mouthfeel is quite dry and good.

I'd highly recommend this beer. It came from a bottle courtesy of SurlySober. I believe he got it from LiquidSolutions.com.

02-17-2008 01:49:32 | More by BeerBelcher
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

Juicy mango with bright tangerine highlights. The firmly creamy, orangish beige crown is three fingers after a spirited pour. The sticky foam is beautifully rumpled and rocky as it melts. It's also beginning to plaster the glass with gobs of thick, chunky lace.

This is my kind of DIPA. It doesn't hurt that the last three of the four hops listed on the label are some of my favorites. For the record: Summit, Crystal, Columbus, Simcoe and Amarillo. The nose is significantly citrusy (pink grapefruit, orange), fantastically funky, cheesy and generously ganja-like. Yowza!

Obliteration II Double IPA was bound to be delicious. Midnight Sun is one of my favorite breweries and I knew they'd stuff this sucker full of hops. Stuffed is right. It's likely that a few of the rougher edges have been smoothed over in the four months since bottling, but hopheads are still the only ones who need apply.

Sugar cookie-like pale malt is complemented by a little caramel and something with a more toasted, earthy vibe. Munich perhaps. I don't love that aspect of the flavor profile, but there's so much juicy hoppiness that it's easily overlooked. Malt sweetness makes a brief appearance as soon as beer enters mouth... and is then obliterated by a tidal wave of buzzsaw-like hoppiness.

The flavor is essentially a reprise of the aroma: pink grapefruit pith, bitter orange, peach pit, weed and pine bark. There's almost no noticeable alcohol, which is leading to gulping rather than sipping. Time to slow down to keep my fingers hitting the correct keys.

The body/mouthfeel is medium-full and is judiciously carbonated. More malt would have provided more creamy plushness, but it would also have added too much sweetness and would have gummed up the lupulin attack. Bottom line: built for speed.

Obliteration II is a few minor tweaks away from hop-soaked greatness. If Midnight Sun loses the Summit in Obliteration III, I'll be the first hophead in line.

02-04-2008 16:30:40 | More by BuckeyeNation
Wasatch

Utah

Thanks goes out to msubulldog25 for this brew.

Pours a hazy golden orange/yellow color, nice carbonation, nice little creamy tannish head, which leaves some nice little islands and sticky lacing. The nose is hoppy, citrusy, with some pines and caramel. The taste is bitter, hoppy, with a very nice touch of citrus/pines. The finish is slightly bitter and dry. Medium body. Drinkable, probably the best MS brew for me to date. I still have a Arctic Devil left though. Thanks Brian.

02-28-2008 00:23:52 | More by Wasatch
gford217

Georgia

Bottle courtesy of bu11zeye poured into a tulip.

Popping the cap produces a white foam that quickly climbs out of the bottle. After getting quickly over to the glass, it pours a bright, hazy golden orange with a fluffy white head that hangs around as a cap for quite a while and leaves very good lacing.

Aroma is very sweet with more citrus and floral hops than I was expecting for a beer of this age, lots of grapefruit and oranges. There is also a healthy dose of sweet caramel malts in addition.

The taste has a pretty hefty hop profile given the age with some citrus hop tingling on the palate up front, lemons and grapefruit especially. The malt backbone is there but less sweet than the aroma suggests.

The mouthfeel is slick with a good bit of hop stickiness. It finishes very dry and leaves a big hoppy bitterness on the palate.

This one really stands up well over time and I certainly wish I had tasted it fresh as it would have been massively hoppy. The drinkability isn't stellar as the bitterness gets pretty astrigent. Still, very good and thanks to Markus for the opportunity.

01-24-2009 01:08:11 | More by gford217
hopdog

3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

22oz bottle shared courtesy of TomDecapolis. 2007 ediiton.

Poured a medium and clear amber color with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of citrus, pines / floral hoppiness, spicey, and oranges. Tastes of citrus, grapefruit, and pine. Nice heavy bitter finish.

Notes from 11/29/07

11-09-2008 02:46:38 | More by hopdog
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

22 oz brown bottle.
According to the label, it has 100 IBUs, was bottled during the fifth week of August, and contains summit, crystal, columbus, simcoe, and amarillo hops.

Purchased online from Bottle Trek for $9.90.

a: Pours a clear orange amber with white head and good lacing on the sides of my tulip glass.

s: Strong hop aroma of grapefruit, citrus, pine and grass, maybe a bit of honey from the malt.

t: Herby, floral, and citrus notes, but its the piney hop flavor that dominates. The bitterness is high and creates a skunky flavor.

m: Bitterness creates a drying effect on the tongue. Medium body.

d: Could use some more malt presence or a more focused hop bill in my opinion.
It is enjoyable, but it seems kind of like its hops just for the sake of hops if that makes sense. I like really hoppy DIPAs, but I don't enjoy this one as much as some of the others I've had. Maybe its just a personal preference thing or a result of the fresh-hopped APA I drank before this that had a more enjoyable hop flavor. But don't get me wrong, this is a good beer and I would recommend trying it.

11-30-2007 01:55:34 | More by BradLikesBrew
freed

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

I splurged to get a bottle of this, but its my introduction to Midnight Sun, and its a DIPA.

Beer pours a burnished copper with rusty white smattering of foam on top. Hue did not change as the beer level dropped in the glass.

Aroma was very pleasing. Deep and rotund hop nose is neither too flowering, too citrusy, and definitely stops shy of being too grassy. It seems to have its own sweet spot that just lets a small hint of the malt's sweet smell through. Really a unique aroma, something that has become kind of rare these last few years.

The sip starts out with a combination of sweet malt and fruity hop flavors that grow as the liquid moves over your tongue. The fullness of the flavor seems balanced the various hop constituents - bitter pine and bitter grapefruit, but very little say from the malt, even after the pint has warmed.

The beer leaves you with a very dry tongue and you can feel your buds shrinking under the bitterness, but then you're left wanting another sip. Its really a strange sensation, though while it doesn't create the most pleasant palate, it lends itself to another drink. Its also rather potent, so even if you've split the bottle, you are liable to feel the beer in your blood after a glass.

04-07-2008 00:54:09 | More by freed
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

Bottle courtesy of Bu11zeye: Poured a clear golden color ale with a medium size foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of dry and citrusy hops is clearly dominating with some notes form floral hops but too subtle to make a real impact. Taste is also dominated by some dry and citrusy hops with a light malt profile. Good carbonation with an average body and no apparent alcohol. Nice experiment overall but not something I would wish to have on a regular basis.

04-22-2008 19:15:00 | More by Phyl21ca
urwatuh8

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%

I got two bottles from Liquid Solutions. This is the second one but my recollections of the first were very similar.

Rich amber color, with a small white head. Delectably hoppy smell. Taste is not bad, but doesn't live up to the smell. It tastes thinner than I'd like. I would prefer a little more malt and a thicker beer in general. The hops are quite acerbic. Crisp taste. But the flavor profile doesn't do so much for me.

With all the great huge IPAs out there, my standards are pretty high. I would definitely drink this again if I ran into it, but that seems pretty unlikely. Adding to the hype, other Midnight Sun IPAs I've had, Cohoho and Gluttony. were both excellent, and I would have those again first.

03-18-2008 09:47:46 | More by urwatuh8
nolvar

3.65/5  rDev -7.8%

This is my first Midnight Sun beer...

Poured from a 22 oz bottle. Nice thick golden color with a frothy white head that remains as a gentle lace on the side of the glass.

Strong citrus hop aroma, hints of orange that fades.

First flavor is a strong tasty citrus rind that hits and assaults the tounge. There is a medium malt backing, but the big American hops are over riding.

Overall a good beer, I would drink this again. I would like to see a little more malt backing up the hops, that would be the only change I would make.

12-19-2007 04:46:46 | More by nolvar
GradyS1

3.55/5  rDev -10.4%

A- murky, hazy light orange with a small cream head that diminishes to a small lacing
S- earthy citrus and orange, floral with a good amount of sweet malts in the finish
T- citrus and grapefruit up front, more floral taste than the smell would let on and less malt. Getting a grassy, bitter hop aftertaste.
M-Medium bodied with matching carbonation, sort of fading

Part of a 2/3/11 vertical. This being the oldest had had up well. Still a lot of hop character and a good amount of spice to the finish

02-15-2011 01:38:04 | More by GradyS1
ygtbsm94

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

01-11-2012 07:30:31 | More by ygtbsm94
weeare138

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

Thanks to TomDecapolis for sharing this...
Appears a transparent light gold that fades into a small white cap and collar. Spotty lacing is left around the glass. Tiny bubbles rise to the top.
Smell is of spicy cat piss, herbal notes, pepper...seems to have been overtaken by the Amarillo hops IMO.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with the same overkill of herbs and bitter grapefruit peel going on.
Mouthfeel is bitter and herbal and in need of more balance.

12-31-2007 20:42:30 | More by weeare138
grumpy

Missouri

3.35/5  rDev -15.4%

Well, it’s a DIPA in hop aroma, flavor, and bitterness, but it lacks significantly in the area of malt balance. Pours a golden straw color with substantial white foam, and moderate lace. Aroma is all hops. Taste is all hops, as well, with a substantial carbonation zing and a light alcohol bite.

Tasty, but not my thing as DIPAs go. Lacks the mouthfeel and malt background of a great DIPA. I suspect I’ll age one to see if it rounds out.

10-30-2007 21:37:16 | More by grumpy
pwoods

3.23/5  rDev -18.4%

Thanks to ahatcher78 for this brew.

22oz. brown bomber poured into a snifter. Dated 5th week of November but not year and I'm too lazy to try and look it up.

A: Pours a very clear pink flushed IPA golden orange. A small head forms and dies within a minute to a very thin wisp on the surface. Surprising, I get some lacing down the sides.

S: When I can get the head formed, I get a very good ruby red grapefruit juice scent. After the head dies, it changes to fresh squeezed grapefruit(plain old farmers market grapefruit) with a nice sharp pine crispness. A subtle malt sweetness in the back.

T/M: I hadn't had this fresh but I would assume that the bitterness has fallen off considerably compared to when it was fresh. I don't always find this disappointing in IIPA because it normally leaves a clearer naturally sweet juiciness behind. In this case the many variety of hops just blur together leaving a muddled confusion of kind of dull grapefruit. A spicy and peppery pine is still there, especially when it warms further. A bread-y and nutty malt character is nice. Bitterness comes through a bit stronger at the end for a slightly drying and lasting finish. Body is mild and the malts don't add much creaminess. Carbonation seems surprisingly high. This was served at proper temperature, but as it warms further, this bitterness comes out a bit more but then the malts just can't keep up.

D: = Kind of disappointed. I was really looking forward to this. Oh, well. I'm still happy that I had a chance to try it. Thanks Andy!

01-04-2008 03:23:30 | More by pwoods
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.2/5  rDev -19.2%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, orange-gold body with a tiny white head.

Smell: Well, it's hoppy, that's for damn sure. Freshly floral with sharp notes of citrus and pine. I think I know where this one's headed.

Taste: It's a bit like a game to try and find any malts in the taste. All in all it's a brutal, needlessly citric hoppiness with an almost mean-spirited bitterness. Hop flavors of flowers, grapefruit, and condensed pine sap. Bitter, acidic finish with a bit of the alcohol showing.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A bruising, tongue-crippling Hop Bomb that leaves you looking like you got in a fight on the way home.

02-19-2008 19:33:06 | More by ChainGangGuy
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Obliteration II from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.