Lust - Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

LustLust

Midnight Sun Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: AKBelgianBeast on 12-15-2007

LUST Belgian-style Dark Strong Ale stirs shameless desire in men (and women) with its captivating appearance, enticing aroma and satisfying flavors. Aged in bourbon oak barrels for twelve months, Lust is worldly, smooth and decadent. Sour cherries contribute tartness while brettanomyces brings muskiness to this naughty brew.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 44 | Reviews: 37
2.95/5  rDev -30.1%

Thanks to Ryan for bringing this rarity to the SeaofFloydster Tasting on March 28th.

A Belgian inspired Strong Dark Ale aged in bourbon barrels with sour cherries and brettanomyces...sounds in vein of a Cuvee de Tomme, I'm excited to try this one and compare.

Wow, very dark color with hints of red on the sides and a thin ring around the glass.

Dark fruits, brown sugar, not as bretty as I thought this would be...I couldn't really detect much funk in this beer, or sour cherries. Maple syrup, a lot of sweetness, toasted malts and hints of chocolate. Smells really good for a Belgian Strong Dark so I'll give it that, but the brett and sour cherry components were just not there as I thought they would be. No off aromas to hint at what I'm about to taste.

Harsh upfront and somewhat oxidized, sweet malts and fruits in the middle, then an astringent god-awful flavor. A bit metallic in the end as well. Was this a bad bottle? Could have been but the aroma wasn't bad so I have my doubts. If I ever get a chance to try this again I will update this but this beer was a disappointment, glad I got to try it though. Medium carbonation. Couldn't get through all of my sample.

3.08/5  rDev -27%

22 ounce bottle brought to the SeaO'Floydster tasting by rallison, thanks for providing this Ryan, had been wanting to try this for a long time after having some of the other 7 Deadly Sins beers, poured into my Stone sampling glass, reviewed from notes

A-Dark brown with a lot of red tint, 3/4 inch creamy beige head, some retention, small legs
S-Cherries, wild yeast, brown sugar, caramel malt, oak, booze, milk chocolate, toffee, and sweetness
T-Starts off sweet with malt, cherries and other berries in the middle, expecting some tart or sourness in the finish but it is barely even dry, just sweet mostly, too malty, more cocoa and sweetness comes out as it warms, lots of fruit and candy-like flavors, needs some other stuff going on to balance it out, a little ho too
M-Sweet, malty, and boozy mouthfeel, medium bodied, too much carbonation for what it is, taste lingers way too long
D-Heavy stuff, too sweet overall, alcohol is not hidden, not balanced, could not drink the bomber individually

Probably the biggest letdown of the night, could barely tell there was any Brettanomyces in it at all, for being one of the most hyped beers of the series it was my least favorite, glad I did not pursue a trade for this rarity, still worth trying

3.18/5  rDev -24.6%

22oz. bottle (huge thx to warmstorage!) poured into my Midnight Sun cervoise, Lust is a very dark, murky reddish brown, with a large tan head that's long lasting and rocky, leaving huge chucks of foam. Served at cellar temp.

Smell is really big and fruity, huge cherry blast, with bourbon, vanilla and coconut. A hint of must is enough for me to believe that the brett really is in there, in spite of it's absense in the taste. Maybe a bit sweet, but nice.

Taste strong and rich, but honestly from the first sip, a bit of let down as it's not at all what I expected (I was hoping for an Oerbier Reserve clone). Huge caramel and maltiness, raisins, dates and cherries, poorly integrated bourbon, some plasticy phenols, the aforementioned barrel notes. There's also a slightly astringent/bitter aspect that is a bit like coffee grinds. Where is the brett funk? If it wasn't on the label, I'd never guess they're there. This doesn't even taste like a BSDA let alone a wild ale, if anything it's more like a fruity wee-heavy/barleywine/baltic porter mix. Which isn't to say too bad, just not what I was looking for. While the alcohol is very assertive, it seems clean, with few fusels. Scoring this as a funked BSDA would be about a 2.0. I'll considered it more of a fruited strong ale and give it a generous 3. I can't tell you how much I was looking forward to this beer, and really tried to like it. Sorry to skew the average folks, but it just fell short.

Mouthfeel is really thick and chewy, but with a big creamy carbonation. Heavy body. This clearly needs some time for the brett to chew through the sugars, to thin the body and dry it out. Bummer, as it may be the only one I ever get. If I thought wouldn't oxidize, I'd recap the second 1/2 of the bomber for a year. Actually, I guess I could pour it into a smaller bottle. Hmmm...nah, to lazy, and seems like the risk:reward isn't worth it. I'll still try to track another down, but with less vigor then I had for this bottle.

Drinkability was a bit low for me, to thick, rich and boozy, with more fruit then funk from the adjuncts, which is the opposite of what I was hoping for. This bomber has taken me damn near 3 hours to finish, and by the 3rd hour, it's become a real chore. Had this not been so hard to get, I probably wouldn't have bothered...If you only have one bottle, I'd seriously recommend you cellar it for a good year before busting it out, unless you don't like brett and prefer young dark barleywines.

3.56/5  rDev -15.6%

Thanks, Shane.

Lust pours a dark muddy brown, and once in the glass it's turbid and opaque with a well-retaining tan head.

Pretty mild on the nose, brett leaves some signature funk, and the cherries are noticeable too without being terribly bold or complex. Not much bourbon barrel character, though there is a bit of brown sugar, faint Belgian yeast and a dark malt foundation. Not much to this, perhaps it was better fresh.

The palate opens with dark candi sugar, raisins, dried cherries. There's a mild brett influence, but it's drowned by flavors of molasses and anise. Finishes oaky, phenolic with a barely perceptible note of bourbon. Pretty good, certainly not amazing.

3.65/5  rDev -13.5%

another mystery box goodie, oh my! very shocked to see this one come my way...

22 oz. bottle poured into an oversized wine glass...

deep dark brown body with a thin brown head of large bubbles...more like a skin of bubbles, and it really wasn't a head. provided decent lacing, but disappeared quickly. this is one menacing looking belgian...so dark with some mahogany hues around the edges. kind of odd...

tart cherries on the nose with a bit of musty wood. a bit weak in this category. some green apple and pit fruits, but mostly cherry...

lots of chocolate and tobacco with a tannic cherry finish. some smoke and wood, with brandyesque notes...a bit disapointed by the lack of funk here...

smooth with a nice bite..carb is good

very drinkable for an 11.5 abv beer

this reminded me more of a cherry aged old ale than anything from Belgium. i am extremely disappointed in myself for opening this up so soon. i recommend at least another six month to let the brett do it's thing...

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

Thanks to TomDecapolis for sharing this...
Appears a dark brown with a small beige collar that slowly fades out. Streaky lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of black cherries, Chimay yeast base, roasty malt, oak, light bourbon.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with a definite Belgian yeastiness and cherry flavor going on. I'm not getting much of the brett addition in the flavors though.
Mouthfeel is medium full bodied, mildly astringent, oaky, yeasty, with the cherries and tropical fruit zinging across the palate. Obvious booziness in there at 11.5%. I'd be curious to check out a bottle when aged for a few years.

3.82/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Murchmac for this brew. My first from Midnight Sun.

22 oz. bomber poured into a snifter.

Pours a deep dark black with a thin tan head that quickly dies down to nothing but a tiny ring around the outside. No webbing what-so-ever left on the sides of the glass. First whiff I get is bourbon all the way. Underneath that is some chocolate, molasses, and rich caramel. Lots of vanilla with a touch of cherries in the nose as well. Where's the brett? I can't detect it in the nose at all, maybe it'll show up on the tongue. Flavor begins with dates, raisins, fig with a whole lotta bourbon. Midway a cherry flavored coffee emergres with vanilla and cane sugar. Dry cocoa powder and some caramel in the aftertaste. Once again, where's the brett? Pretty thin medium body with little carbonation, I'd like it a bit heavier. I must say though, the 11.5% is no where on the tongue. You can taste the bourbon, but it's not a boozy flavor. Not bad, but I was really expecting more.

3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

A-Deep brown when held to the light with lighter highlights. Thin tan head that left nice lacing.

S-Light cherry and bourbon notes. What I expect was present but not overpowering...a little weak.

T-Astringent sour cherries with light chocolate notes. A bit of sourness...not sure if from more cherry flavours or if from the Brett. Bourbon notes fairly weak but does finish with a nice smokey flavour.

M-Medium-light, quite tart. Not bad...a bit thin for me.

D-More, more....as in cherry and bourbon...lacks for me. I dont get from the Brett, maybe overplayed by the cherries? Somewhat uni-dimensioanl. I will say this...11.5%, your kidding...I detected little alcohol in this, well done.

3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

8/13/2010

Pours dull dark brown with a large frothy light brown head.

The aroma exhibits light cherries in harmony with subtle Brett, oak, and light bourbon notes. I detect a dash of brown sugar a little roast. The cherries are still pretty nice, but overall the aroma is bit muted.

The flavor is slightly sour with notes of cherry skins and flesh. Bourbon is more prominent here. Brett is subtle, imparting leather notes and a musty quality. I get a dash of chocolate in the finish.

The beer is lower full bodied with moderate carbonation and a full mouthfeel. This is still tasty, but it was noticeably better a couple years ago. Now it's like a less complex version of 2008 Cuvee de Tomme.

3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

Thanks to Shane for bringing this up from SoCal. Served in a tasting snifter.

A - Pours with a finger of tan foam that eventually settles to a thin ring and some patchy film. Dark brown body that's slightly lighter at the fringes.

S - Oak, light cherry, some musty brett notes and dark roasted malts. A little understated, but pretty solid. Not sure where the bourbon barrel notes are?

T - Taste has sour cherry, dark quad-like notes, burnt sugar, and a bit of barrel contributing butterscotch and vanilla. Slightly sour brett and lemon finish. More depth and potency than the nose.

M - Zesty but not unpleasant carbonation, sticky and chewy medium-full body. Might be my favorite thing about this beer.

D - This was a pretty solid beer, but wasn't as exciting and impressive as other Sins or Planets beers I've had. The alcohol would make it pretty hard to finish on own, but it was nice to get a chance to try it.

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

Thanks to timmcd64 for the trade. Enjoyed with Colin in a pair of Stone IRS glass.

Dark, dark brown. Almost black. Thin brown head.

Big smell of sour cherries and of course bourbon aromas.

Sweet tastes up front. Molasses sweet. Tangy turns to astringent Brett sour as it moves back. The souring happens smoothly. Never too loud. Bourbon taste is present throughout, but always blends in well and never overpowers.

Creamy smooth. A tad too much carbonation.

There's some warming in the finish but the alcohol is well hidden.

This isn't a beer to consume in mass quantities. It forces you to pay attention. Well crafted; Fits together nicely. I love how Midnight Sun pushes the envelope. This is a successful experiment. But in a kitchen sink way.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Coffee with Brett, oak, like a Russian River.Everything you would expect from a bourbon coffee chocolate,roast, vanilla RR. Cherries in bourbon and whiskey. Strong, rich fruit. Complex taste, a good one with aroma.Boozy.Replace wine with this at a dinner.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

An extra in a BIF, much thanks go out to Tayner!

Red ale with a big cap of tight red foam. Great retention. A great looker.

Lots of bourbon and wood on the nose. Cherries and malt sweetness too, but the bourbon dominates. It's fun lately to drink non-stout bourbon aged beers.

Very old-school meets new-school; big, malty old ale (think Unibroue 17), dusty and fruity, meets new school fruit and bourbon aging. The bourbon adds gentle heat to the throat. Lots of wood complexity too. Fruit vibes from the cherries, and also from the high alcohol esters. I'm not getting Belgian yeast esters, more like an English barleywine to me. Pretty fine stuff, certainly a well made beer that's unique and makes it's mark. The flavors seem to all get along pretty well. Not quite my thing but a fine beer in it's own right.

Excellent mouthfeel, providing a mellow dryness and active carbonation to release the beautiful aroma. The bourbon and thick malts don't get very sticky, but there is still some body to chew on. Not especially palate killing or dehydrating so it makes for a nice sipper.

I'd say this is a very drinkable beer, interesting, challenging, and delicious. Now that I've tried it I would seek it out again, but certainly worth it to try. Big cheers to Dana and Midnight Sun!

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Pours a deep shade of brown with a small tan head. No retention or lace noted.

S: Aromas of dark fruit, sour cherries, booze, and light yeast.

T: Lots of dark fruit, mild sourness, yeast, and molasses. Hints of booze and vanilla.

M: On the fuller side of body, mild booze in finish.

D: Pretty good.

4.17/5  rDev -1.2%

Early 2010 rate.

Bottle. Pours a dark brown with deep crimson edges and a pretty thick tan head. Nose is rich dubbel wort highlighted by a deep fruity sweetness, soft brett, dark chocolate. Big and rich in the mouth, nice dry chocolate dust, very deep, earthy brett, soft sour cherries. Hot and boozy in the most pleasant way. Thick and velvety with nice fizz. Earthy, boozy, a bit wild. Awesome!

***I had it again in fall, 2010, and it wasn't nearly as good as the initial bottle. Great nose, rich bourbon, deep malt complexities, but the flavor was empty cardboard with a distinct lingering bitterness that depressed me somewhat.

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Received this brew not so long ago from Mikesgroove. This is the last of the Deadly Sins and the one I've looked forward to the most. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip.

Deadly Sin 7 of 7.

Appearance- Pours a near pitch black with a nice creamy one finger dirty tan head. A beautiful cap and collar remains the entire beer along with plenty of lacing. I will say, pound for pound, this is the best looking group of beers I've ever seen.
Smell- Definitely a deep and layered nose with a lot going on. The bourbon is quite strong with an oaky vanilla that is very abundant. Quite a bit of toffee and or caramel that I'm assuming is from the barrels since this is a Dark Strong Belgium Ale. I swear by the smell that I'd guess this was a RIS though. There is a slightly tart cherry tone hidden among the wafts of goodness.
Taste- Interesting. Starts with a bite of tart cherry that isn't really cherry-ish per say, just tart and cherry like. A part of the beer is slightly sweet (not cloying though) with a bit of Begiumy yeast. Again, I'd guess this as a Belgium Stout or even an IRS if I couldn't see the bottle. The musty notes of Brett are most definitely apparent as a mushroom and hay like undertone really seem to grow as the beer warms. Plenty of oak makes an appearance as well adding maybe a touch of bourbon and a touch more vanilla. The alcohol is a plenty in the finish as well.
Mouthfeel- Decent enough feel with a medium/heavy body and a spritzy creamy feel. The carbonation is light but nice.
Drinkability- I went into this beer thinking the worst. A tiny little friend that lives on the East coast told me he was fairly disappointed by the beer. Again, he proves to be an idiot. The style of the beer doesn't really seem fitting but it is what it is. The oak is really nice and adds a great complexity to the beer. Definitely enjoyed it! Thanks Mike!

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown, near black body with a small, fizzy, khaki-colored head. That's a decent looking beer.

Smell: Bourbon aroma leads, followed by cherries, and notes of oak barrels with some dark maltiness imparting a mild hint of cocoa powder and roast.

Taste: For me, the bourbony flavor is up front with it's tastes of wood, brown sugar, and vanilla beans. Slight tastes of roast and chocolate. Distinct sour cherry flavor. A rather unobtrusive, even sensible Brett character that only helps to accentuate the various flavors and add to the overall complexity of the brew rather than trounce the other components. A whole medley of revisited flavors for the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: It's good, though a very busy beer, I must say!

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Sampled at Saturday's MS Sins tasting.

A: The pour is a dark mahogany color with some nice ruby highlights and a tan head.

S: Tons of vanilla and chocolate fill the nose right off the bat. The cherries are there but come through a bit later on. The bourbon notes are certainly there as well.

T: Things move on to the tongue quite seamlessly. The vanilla and chocolatey notes are robust, and the oak is more noticeable here too. A nice sweet black cherry flavor throughout with a subtle tartness on the finish.

M: The body is medium with a low level of carbonation. Quite smooth and creamy on the tongue.

D: I was expecting a bit more of the wild character to come out with this, but was certainly not disappointed when it wasn't there. Really nice flavors with just a hint of oxidation.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Sampled 5/2/08. Shared the entire 7 beer series with fellow BAs Deuane & SierraGS. It was quite a night! Special thanks to AKBelgianBeast for trading me the complete set of these to try.

22 oz bomber into a snifter.

Pours black with 2 fingers of creamy tan head that retains nicely and leaves big, thick lacing behind. The aroma is a big cherry blast up front that then intermingles with more subtle notes of bourbon and vanilla. I'm also picking up just a bit of sour funkiness and a nice waft of heat.

The taste is a beefy mix of caramel sweetness and dark fruit tartness. The Brett isn't very pronounced, being hard to differentiate from that of the more prevalent cherry tartness. The bourbon notes from the barrel aging make themselves known towards the finish. The mouthfeel has a full feel with a creamy carbonation and some alcohol heft but for the most part, it's fairly well hidden.

Wow! This was quite unique, complex, and most of all drinkable for such a beast of a beer. I wish that I could have picked up some more of the Brett's involvement but the interplay between the deep sweetness, cherry flavors, and then bourbon notes more than made up for it. A very well made and complex entry from the series.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

22oz bottle shared courtesy of TomDecapolis.

Poured a deeper and muddy borwn color with a small sized off white head. Aromas of wood, vanilla, dark fruits, cherries, vanilla, bourbon, and very light brett. Tastes of vanilla, wood, dark cherries, bourbon, and oak. Midnight Sun really knows how to do barrel aging!

Notes from 12/21/07

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Lust from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.