Lust - Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

LustLust

Midnight Sun Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: AKBelgianBeast on 12-15-2007

LUST Belgian-style Dark Strong Ale stirs shameless desire in men (and women) with its captivating appearance, enticing aroma and satisfying flavors. Aged in bourbon oak barrels for twelve months, Lust is worldly, smooth and decadent. Sour cherries contribute tartness while brettanomyces brings muskiness to this naughty brew.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 44 | Reviews: 37
4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Sampled 5/2/08. Shared the entire 7 beer series with fellow BAs Deuane & SierraGS. It was quite a night! Special thanks to AKBelgianBeast for trading me the complete set of these to try.

22 oz bomber into a snifter.

Pours black with 2 fingers of creamy tan head that retains nicely and leaves big, thick lacing behind. The aroma is a big cherry blast up front that then intermingles with more subtle notes of bourbon and vanilla. I'm also picking up just a bit of sour funkiness and a nice waft of heat.

The taste is a beefy mix of caramel sweetness and dark fruit tartness. The Brett isn't very pronounced, being hard to differentiate from that of the more prevalent cherry tartness. The bourbon notes from the barrel aging make themselves known towards the finish. The mouthfeel has a full feel with a creamy carbonation and some alcohol heft but for the most part, it's fairly well hidden.

Wow! This was quite unique, complex, and most of all drinkable for such a beast of a beer. I wish that I could have picked up some more of the Brett's involvement but the interplay between the deep sweetness, cherry flavors, and then bourbon notes more than made up for it. A very well made and complex entry from the series.

3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

A-Deep brown when held to the light with lighter highlights. Thin tan head that left nice lacing.

S-Light cherry and bourbon notes. What I expect was present but not overpowering...a little weak.

T-Astringent sour cherries with light chocolate notes. A bit of sourness...not sure if from more cherry flavours or if from the Brett. Bourbon notes fairly weak but does finish with a nice smokey flavour.

M-Medium-light, quite tart. Not bad...a bit thin for me.

D-More, more....as in cherry and bourbon...lacks for me. I dont get from the Brett, maybe overplayed by the cherries? Somewhat uni-dimensioanl. I will say this...11.5%, your kidding...I detected little alcohol in this, well done.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Initially fruity, cherries more specifically but I doubt I could be that specific if I didn't know what was in it. Alcohol and kind of musty as well. Later in the sample the large volume of sweet maltiness came through clearly.

Med dark brown with a hint of ruby if held to light. Modest tan head dissipates quickly. No lacing.

Tastes kind of like the smell, fruity with some alcohol, but nothing to indicate 11.5%. It was sweet breifly up front then some sort of bitterness cut through it. Didn't taste like hops to me, maybe the Bret? I'm unfamiliar with Bret.

Thick, full, warming with a dry finish. very easy drinking, especially considering the 11.5%

I don't regret dropping $13 for it (at the source), and intend to get some more before it is gone. It pretty well lived up to its reputation among Anchorage beer geeks and Midnight Sun groupies. It was the last of the Seven Deadly Sins beers I sampled. Special though it was, I think Sloth is still my favorite of the bunch. The 11.5% is felt, if not noticed in other areas. Enjoy!

3.18/5  rDev -24.6%

22oz. bottle (huge thx to warmstorage!) poured into my Midnight Sun cervoise, Lust is a very dark, murky reddish brown, with a large tan head that's long lasting and rocky, leaving huge chucks of foam. Served at cellar temp.

Smell is really big and fruity, huge cherry blast, with bourbon, vanilla and coconut. A hint of must is enough for me to believe that the brett really is in there, in spite of it's absense in the taste. Maybe a bit sweet, but nice.

Taste strong and rich, but honestly from the first sip, a bit of let down as it's not at all what I expected (I was hoping for an Oerbier Reserve clone). Huge caramel and maltiness, raisins, dates and cherries, poorly integrated bourbon, some plasticy phenols, the aforementioned barrel notes. There's also a slightly astringent/bitter aspect that is a bit like coffee grinds. Where is the brett funk? If it wasn't on the label, I'd never guess they're there. This doesn't even taste like a BSDA let alone a wild ale, if anything it's more like a fruity wee-heavy/barleywine/baltic porter mix. Which isn't to say too bad, just not what I was looking for. While the alcohol is very assertive, it seems clean, with few fusels. Scoring this as a funked BSDA would be about a 2.0. I'll considered it more of a fruited strong ale and give it a generous 3. I can't tell you how much I was looking forward to this beer, and really tried to like it. Sorry to skew the average folks, but it just fell short.

Mouthfeel is really thick and chewy, but with a big creamy carbonation. Heavy body. This clearly needs some time for the brett to chew through the sugars, to thin the body and dry it out. Bummer, as it may be the only one I ever get. If I thought wouldn't oxidize, I'd recap the second 1/2 of the bomber for a year. Actually, I guess I could pour it into a smaller bottle. Hmmm...nah, to lazy, and seems like the risk:reward isn't worth it. I'll still try to track another down, but with less vigor then I had for this bottle.

Drinkability was a bit low for me, to thick, rich and boozy, with more fruit then funk from the adjuncts, which is the opposite of what I was hoping for. This bomber has taken me damn near 3 hours to finish, and by the 3rd hour, it's become a real chore. Had this not been so hard to get, I probably wouldn't have bothered...If you only have one bottle, I'd seriously recommend you cellar it for a good year before busting it out, unless you don't like brett and prefer young dark barleywines.

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Coffee with Brett, oak, like a Russian River.Everything you would expect from a bourbon coffee chocolate,roast, vanilla RR. Cherries in bourbon and whiskey. Strong, rich fruit. Complex taste, a good one with aroma.Boozy.Replace wine with this at a dinner.

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

22 ounce bomber $12.99 at the brewery. Bottle states 11.5% ABV, 40 IBU.

Appearance: deep opaque brown bordering on black. Medium brown head is initially moderate, then limited, leaves moderate lacing.

Aroma: definitely cherries and funk, and a few other things I can't quite place. Perhaps a little less brett than I might have expected.

Taste: just about fucking perfect. Cherries and some brett spunk, with a deep roasty malt depth, and an amazing complexity. Long toasty brown sugary sweetness, with hints at dark chocolate. Just fantastic stuff. Immensely drinkable for suck a huge, complex beer.

Mouth: Deep warmth, but not alcoholic heat, especially given the ABV. Moderately thick to full. Aftertaste has lingering cherries with heat, almost like NOLA cherries bombs (but vastly, vastly more pleasant, and I'll feel vastly, vastly better tomorrow morning.)

Overall: A delicious motherf***er of a beer. I initially balked at paying $13 for a bomber, since I have ben occasionally not so impressed with some of MSBC's other Belgian attempts. No such concerns here: this stuff borders on magical. I'm going to go buy more.

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

thanks go out to AKBelgianBeast for sending some love to the desert!

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into my sexy SanTan glass. It pours very dark, almost black, with mahogany edges when backlighted. Head is tan/khaki wiht large bubbles near the beer and foam on top that laces really well

Smell seems to be dominated by yeast and dark fruit (cherries and figs) with a hint of alcohol (bourbon). not really smelling any hops. Nice aroma that smells very sweet.

I am in love. Where is the 11% abv? There is a sweet maltiness right off the top. Definite cherry profile, but i dont know if i would say it was sour, almost a sweet cherry with just a slight tartness after swallowing. Perhaps that will get more sour with some age on it. Bready yeast flavor coats my tongue very nicely. Bourbon warming on swallowing, but not overbearing or hot at all.

This is very thick for a BSDA, and very nice. It coats well and is not watery at all.

I docked the drinkability just a little on this one only because it is a little sweet, and very filling. it is very easy to drink, but i think one or maybe two at a time is possible, and i think the 11.5% will kick your butt without you even knowing it, that is until you try to stand up!

I must seek out more of these... again, thanks to AKBelgianBeast!

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours opaque dark brown, with barely a trace of light peering through the base of the glass.
A lively, two-inch tan head frothed up and floated for several minutes. The sticky foam relented slowly, revealing plenty of clingy lacework.
Aromatics are where this beer is at.
Dark rum-soaked raisins,cocoa nubs, oaky tannins, bourbon, vineous fruit, and very light, drying horseblanket. Phenols blend nicely with the bourbon fusels, and vanilla follows through.
Mouthfeel is medium and creamy. Slightly chewy, but still light enough to keep the brew from being overbearing.
The pallet is rummy and fruity, with plenty of bourbon. Cocoa-dusted raisins form the base, with layers of dark caramel, whisky, red wine, toasted oak, and vanilla.
The cherries do not have a large presence, but add a wonderfull complexity.
No funk yet to speak of, as the brett will take a while to do it's job.
Finishes with a lingering vineous complexity, warming bourbon, and dark fruit.

Wowza. A must to revisit in a year or three. I can see this beer aging into all 5's no problem.

Big thanks to Tim!

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

Thanks to TomDecapolis for sharing this...
Appears a dark brown with a small beige collar that slowly fades out. Streaky lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of black cherries, Chimay yeast base, roasty malt, oak, light bourbon.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with a definite Belgian yeastiness and cherry flavor going on. I'm not getting much of the brett addition in the flavors though.
Mouthfeel is medium full bodied, mildly astringent, oaky, yeasty, with the cherries and tropical fruit zinging across the palate. Obvious booziness in there at 11.5%. I'd be curious to check out a bottle when aged for a few years.

4.6/5  rDev +9%

Appearance: Deep black color with a tight, tan head.

Smell: Intense aroma that includes bourbon, fruit, yeast and alcohol.

Taste: Strong malt characteristics embraced by bourbon and fruit flavors, and a mild bitterness. Finishes with smoky malt flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium-heavy body. Very smooth with an oily quality that allows the flavors to linger and evolve.

Drinkability: Very intense brew. A great sipper with a good kick.

4.6/5  rDev +9%

as the beast said, unquestionably the best american made belgian style I've yet tried. the beer pours dark brown with a little reddish hue most visible at the bottom of the glass, the head is nice, lacey, and creamy. the nose it strong with a hint of some liquor, inviting. the taste is smooth no real stand-out flavors that i can detect at the moment, but a nice taste, the cheeries are only subtle on the finish, not overpowering as i expected. the mouth-feel is where this brew really stands out, the one thing that all american attempts i've tried fall way short on is the mouth-feel, and lust is now the first exception. perfection, thick and somewhat bitey, and as far as drinkability she goes down nicely, but she's a belgian, so the yeast leaves me at one bottle a sitting, at least i'm saying that now. a damn good beer, i highily recomend this one.

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

This is definitely midnight suns most unique attempt so far at a belgian style ale. This is one of the few beers brewed in america that blends Bourbon aging with the true texture of a belgian. Pours almost black with dark red tones. typical head dissipates into a ring quickly. The nose is similar to that of a flemish red with sour tones. Also plenty of Bourbon in the nose. This led me to beleive that there would be an overpowering flavor of sour cherry in the flavor ( as this beer is brewed with sour cherries and brett ) thank goodness there was not! at first taste i was shocked at the wonderful texture and sweet sugary taste. A strong malt and dark fruit plum and raisin type of taste at first then wanes into the taste of the cherries which ( despite the label is not sour but more of a sweet dark cherry flavor) and finally you taste the barrel aged hint at the end due to the fact that it is aged in bourbon barrels. This is a very optimistic moment for me as i am usually quite dissapointed with american attempts at a belgian brew. An exquisite melding of Belgian style beer and bourbon aging. This shows promise for the brewing future of our great land and the last frontier! belgian fans get a bottle, you will be pleased!

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Lust from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.