Obliteration V - Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

Obliteration VObliteration V

Midnight Sun Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

Beer added by: AKBelgianBeast on 07-31-2009

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

First Beer from Midnight Sun that I will get to try after hearing plenty of great things about it.

A: A cloudy amber with a nice carbonation rushing up from the bottom. The head was about an inch thick, retained well and left nice lacy rings. I would have liked it to be less cloudy.

S: Nice floral hop notes and a hint of lemon citrus. Good amount of caramel smell is noticable as well.

T: Not as in your face hoppy as many DIPAs and a lot of caramel notes are present. The hops are mostly floral and earthy, very little citrus in my opinion.

M: Full flavored and bodied, a lingering bitter note and some alcohol.

D: Fairly easy to drink this one, but better to share the bomber with someone else

4.17/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours light orange with tan head into a snifter.
Huge aroma of grapefruit, orange, candy apple, mango, and passion fruit.
There are tons of tropical and citrus flavors in the taste along with grassy hops and a nicely balanced malt backbone. There is not enough hop bitterness however.
Nice mouthfeel where the carbonation and acidity play off each other.
Overall it's a really good East Coast style DIPA, although I prefer the in-your-face hops of West Coast DIPAs. Another solid Midnight Sun beer and another reason why they are climbing up my ranking of favorite breweries.

3.82/5  rDev -6.4%

John opened this last night. Much thanks!

Deep orange, thin white head, poor retention and mild lacing. I've definitely had better looking DIPAs

The nose is a BLAST of piney hops, caramel malt and a surprising amount of alcoholic spiciness. Pungent grapefruit, this is pretty awesome.

In many ways, this is East Coast like, . Big fruity caramel? check? Plenty of pine? Yep. Strangely, though, the bitterness is reserved and the hops are almost all flavor - orange, citrus, pine and fruity sweetness. Finishes mildly sweet with a low bitterness. Surprisingly big in body for a DIPA, with medium-low carbonation, this is decent. A little more bitterness would have done this a world of good. While I enjoyed my glass, I doubt I'd go back for this.

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%

First of the Obliteration series I was able to obtain... picked up at Belmont Station in Portland last week.

The beer pours an orange amber color with pretty good head retention and lacing. On the nose this beer is just DIPA nectar - I get orange coolaide, citrus and a boatlaod of pine. The beer smells very good, though I get the impression it might be a bit on the sweet side. On the palate, the high malt bill is confirmed. This DIPA is fairly sweet, with exotic flavors of mango, papaya, and sweet melon, before it's finally all over taken by the hoppy bitterness in the finish. The bitterness is barely sufficient to balance out the sweetness in this beer, and frankly I wish MS would have toned down the malt a bit. Still, the melange of flavors is pretty impressive, and ultimately the beer dries out at the very end with a wash of hoppy bitterness. Mouthfeel is full, with a long finish. Coupled with the sweetness, the alcohol is a bit more noticeable then I would like, which detracts just a bit from the beer's drinkability.

This is still a pretty nice beer, but I can't say it's one of my favorites from MS. Also, while pretty good, IMHO there are many more DIPA's out there that are better. This is just not the style of DIPA that I prefer.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Thanks to SuzzyGreenberg. Poured into a Snake River brewing pint glass. BIG frothy head that looks fantastic. This guy is over two months old now, so I'm hoping for the best. Dark and cloudy orange color. Smell of orangish fruits and citrus. Mango, Clementine, blood orange. Also some pine notes. I was thinking this smells a lot like nugget nectar and then I look at the bottle and nugget hops are one of the two types in this beer. I wonder how this smells fresh. Oh yeah hops are definitely still there on the taste.After a few big sips the tongue is engulfed in bitterness. I heard this one was very bitter so time is my friend on this guy. However, the bitterness is still a bit much for me. Silky carbonated mouthfeel. Boy if this wasn't so bitter (95ibu's) I'd love it. A lot of pine on the finsih.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

this one was brought back from AK by PackForever1976, thanks a ton Andy!!

looks like your classic American IPA, tight pillowy head, some slight color from the crystal malts and slow 'snowing' carbonation. it does have that typical look but screams 'damn tasty!'

hop aroma is very complex with aromas of fresh cut herbs and flowers, citrus (think tangerines, clementines, fresh grapefruit) and tea with back note ethanol and caramelized sugar.

flavors boast of acidic citrus fruits, floral hibiscus, sweet caramel and ethanol.

bitterness brings an almost puckering sensation but is mellowed out by the light (almost creamy) carbonation. wonderful balance.

the aroma becomes the highlight of the beer, its flavors are simple but help it remain a very drinkable DIPA. Instant classic, I wish this was distributed throughout the US... I would buy this over and over.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle shared at a BA tasting. Review re-copied from notes after earlier deletion.

A - Nice hazy copper color with a small white head and good lacing.

S - Aroma is resin, citrusy hops, and caramel. Hops aren't incredibly prominent as I feel this may be a little past peak, but it still smells very nice.

T - Flavor is mildly sweet pale and caramel malt, honey, mild resin, orange and grapefruit hops. Well-balanced.

M - Palate is smooth with medium body and a dry, bitter finish with some hop oils.

D - Pretty high for an IIPA.

4.08/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to d0b for ordering one of these for sharin'. Served in a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A - A couple fingers of egg-white foam that dissipates to a cap and ring with some soapy looking lacing. Slightly hazed body with a nice light coppery orange-brown color. Streams of tiny bubbles racing to the top.

S - You can tell by the smell that this is a little older (2 months apparently). There's some dank earthy hoppiness, cheesiness, and spice mixed with a touch of pine, and some well-balanced sweet caramel and brown sugar malts.

T - This is a very malt-forward DIPA at this point, although there's some nice hop bitterness at the back end with some pine, lemon, and some orange rind and zest.

M - Nice feel, with a slight touch of carbonation tingle, lots of residual hop oils, dry finish. Good stuff in this regard.

D - My glass emptied pretty quick. This has aged gracefully and I suspect it would have been pretty awesome when fresh. I'd drink it again, but not for this price tag.

My first hoppy (albeiit faded) brew from Midnight Sun and it was pretty good. I'd love to to try some fresh brews from these guys, but even after a couple months this was pretty enjoyable. It was very balanced and malt-forward - reminds me a little of the Racer X growler we had a while ago.

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

I'm told that this isn't as good as it was fresh... this was bottled in early July so it's a few months old.

Appearance: Poured with a nice creamy silky smooth off white head that dissipated leaving some nice lacing at the top of my glass. The beer is slightly hazy and has a nice orange golden color.

Smell: Piney bitter hops, sweet roasted marshmallows, toasted nutty malt, pretty light over all but good aromas.

Taste: Sweet caramel, nice citrus hops up front, turning more piney and bitter afterwards, really sweet malty flavor, roasted nuts, leaves mouth sweet and bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, a bit sticky, nice bitter tingle on the tongue, slightly dry, and leaves mouth pretty sweet and sticky.

Overall: Pretty good drinkability, no problem finishing this bomber to my self. Nice sweet and bitter balance, nice roasted character not over powered by the bitter hops and sweet malt.

Thanks AKBelgianBeast!!

4.57/5  rDev +12%

Bright golden color with a beautiful egg-shell white one finger head.

Smells of tangerine, pineapple with a hint of caramel. A slight pine presence. Damn, this reminds me of Yulesmith (Winter). Much less hoppy than Gluttony.

The taste is bitter with orange zest, papaya and ripe melon. A very faint butterscotch note from the nice malt backing. Despite thee high hop rate, I'm really getting an English bitter malt profile to this. I'm really enjoying it!

Mouthfeel is fantastic. An effervescent pop of carbonation holds up the bitter notes and balancing malt sweetness.

As enjoyable as this is, I can't see myself drinking multiple bottles in succession.

Another great effort from Midnight Sun!

3.76/5  rDev -7.8%

pours a semi-hazy amber-orange with a large white head, and great lacing.

smell of grapefruit, citrus, and an earthy back.

taste is of toasted nuts, grain, malt, citrus, some caramel, and a little lavender, ends dry and bitter.

a very nice double IPA.

4.73/5  rDev +15.9%

A - Pours an inch of slightly off-white head into a tulip glass. It has great retention and leaves lots of lacing. The beer is a hazy burnt orange.

S - The aroma isn't as pungent as I would like, but you really have to let it warm up a little bit to get most of the smells from it. Hard to describe the nose, it's just hops and more hops. Some tangerine and other tropical, sappy goodness. There's also a little bit of alcohol present and a hint of caramel.

M - Medium in body with good carbonation. I really have no complaints with the mouthfeel, it's perfect for the style.

T - Loads of hops in the mouth. Tons of bitterness along with some grapefruit and orange. There is a light amount of malt complementing the hops as well. It finishes bitter making you pucker your lips, this lingers into the aftertaste for a good bit.

This is one fine DIPA. It's a shame I missed the last 4 versions in the series. If there are more in the future, I'll certainly go out of my way to get them.

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

22oz bottle (bought at Malt & Vine in Redmond) poured into a 22oz mug

Appears bright orange-golden, slightly cloudy from the sediment at the bottom of the bottle, thin filmy head and some lacing. Smells very nice, like honey and oranges with a heavy hop background.

Taste is a pleasing mixture of bitter and sweet -- the hops come out right up front and it has a little malty flowery finish. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is very slightly gritty, but thick and bready and good.

Quite drinkable. Nice beer. I heartily approve.

I'll provide a picture if you want.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: Pours up a brilliant, deep orange-hued body with a medium-sized, whitish head.

Smell: Fresh, fruity tangerine hop scents as well as some richly perfumy florals and hints of just-picked herbs above the base of sweetish pale malts.

Taste: Carefully crisped pale malts along with some crystal malt light caramel candy sweetness. Juicy, pith citrus fruit - mostly tangerine - and bold floral, herbal hop flavors with a resounding, moderate amount of bitterness. Slightly warming, definitely bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Somewhat sticky mouthfeel.

Drinkability: It's good! All the hoppiness and bitterness you would expect of the Obliteration series from Midnight Sun.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured in a big wine glass at 50 F/ 10 C.

Hazy bright orange color, small dense cream colored head that dissipates, nice finely patterned lace with some oily shimmer to it.

The aroma is a bit shut down at first, but it becomes big and hoppy as the beer warms up in the glass. Herbal, tropical, citrusy, spicy. Light caramel and a bit of honey. Fresh, complex, and very good.

Tastes hoppy indeed. Complex hop flavor, mainly grapefruity, herbal, and floral a little like orange flower. After a few seconds the bitterness kicks in, then builds and builds, deep and intense, but not harsh at all. A good dose of sweet clean malt and a little alcohol add good balance. Great finish, the intense hop flavor and bitterness end up completely dry and linger for a very very long time.

A bit fizzy at first, but some swirling turns the texture smooth and delectable. Drinkability? Yes.

Dynamite DIPA.

4.73/5  rDev +15.9%

Got this bottle from a girl who visited Alaska last week. Thanks Jenn, even though you're not on this site!

Okay, I knew I was getting into something epic when I poured this. It poured a murky, caramel orange. Little bit of head, not much. The head was a mix of all kinds of bubbles. Big, small, medium. Very politically correct. If this were a political ad I would definitely think that this beer had a diverse following due to contrast of bubbles in the head.

The smell is pretty rich. Lots of malts in it. Sweet ones of course. There is alot of hops in the nose as well, but nothing like a fresh Pliny the Elder or anything. Not a piney smell, fruity for the most part. This is how I like it, but I do wish it were a bit stronger.

Upon the first sip I literally said "Oh my god..." The palate is opened up and danced upon by sweet and bittering hops at the same time. The fruity, citrusy hopss paired with the piney bittering hops is in perfect unison. Holy shit this is good! I think I drank half my glass in three gulps after my first sip. This one is sensational and deserves much more attention.

The mouthfeel is just as food as the taste. This literally flows down your throat. I can't stop it once it's in my mouth. The perfect amount of thickness and carbonation for a DIPA. Excellent, sublime even. This is probably it's best feature cloesly followed by the taste. VERY closely.

Drinkability is DANGEROUS on this one. Holy crap, I am wasted because I drank this so fast. Most of the time I am done with my review before I finish the beer. This one I'm done with the beer before I finish the review!

Midnight Sun just got that much better and I am thankful for this bottle. God damn.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Another MSBC beer courtesy of savnac, poured into a tulip.

Pours a clear amber with a small creamy white head that has no intention of receding at all and leaves some delicate lacing on the way down.

The aroma is just chock full of pungent citrus hops with grapefruit coming to the forefront. I get some pine as well, but it doesn't penetrate the grapefruit much. Neither does the malts, though they're clearly there.

The taste is very bitter up front and I'm not sure if I can attribute it to citrus or pine...it's just bitter. The bitterness takes on more of a resinous character in the finish and sticks around stubbornly in the aftertaste. The malts, again, are present but serve to just barely balance the hops. Great hop-forward taste on this one.

The mouthfeel is definitely bitter and sticky with hop juice, supported by a solid, soft carbonation.

This is the first Obliteration I've had fresh and, as such, the hoppiest version I've had. The hops are dominant from start to finish with a big West Coast bitterness lingering after each sip. In short, tasty as hell.

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

22oz bottle from the fridge.

Pours hazy dark copper with a one inch head of bone. Streaks and dots of lacework throughout the glass.

Aromatics lead off with a blast of pungent grapefruit and pine. A tropical forest meets a coniferous stand. Citrus resins and sappy juice.

Medium bodied with a sticky, almost chewy mouthfeel.

Ripe grapefruit, tangerine pith, spruce resin, and candied hops start the palate. A blast of solid bitterness adds a nice depth-charge. Hints of grape, apricots, and peaches follow though. Light malt balances.

Finishes with lingering smashed grapefruit and pine, gripping bitterness, and a hint of warmth.

Another kickass Oblit brew. This one could be my favorite of the series so far, or it could be just tasting exeptional because it's been too long! A vertical tasting would be recommended at this point.

Mad mega-props out to big Tim in Ak for hoookin' a brutha up again and again!

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

The color of this so perfectly mimics that of apple cider, and murky as such to boot. I spy CO2 effervescence, but for some reason it didn't produce head on the pour, save for a thin white whisp that stays the duration. Laces well for the scant head that it is.

Smell manages to be hoppily floral, yet minus pine, minus citrus, and minus the really sweetly perfumey boof you sometimes get with a DIPA.

Taste is of a true DIPA. It is bombastically hopped, and rigid. But it toes that line between ale and hop gin. It's a puckerer, and comes across with more than just a bit of a gangic notion. I cheat and view the bottle for the answer to all our questions. No, it's not 42. What hops are these? It's Warrior and Nugget laden, that's what. Nice. REAL nice.

Mouthfeel is livened up by the fizz, and still decidedly heavy with what I have to guess is a pretty dang intense malt bill. AT 93 IBUs, the malts still keep this one from running away.

Overall I'm as happy with this as I've been with many other Midnight Sun DIPAs. They have it down, and keep tweaking them to keep it interesting enough for me to never pass one up when I get to Anchorage to stock up. They're about function (pure enjoyment) for the hophead, but keep form just the same. Can I get a hell yeah?

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

The fifth in the fantastic Obliteration series of hop monsters. This one showcases Warrior and Nugget hops. 95 IBUs.

Pours a nice clear orange color with a slight amber tint and a great barely off white head that retains extraordinarily well and leaves beautiful lacing.

Nose is full of exactly what it claims to be full of...hops. There is some noticeable malt presence in the nose, but this one is clearly all about the hops. Even smells bitter.

Taste is...you guessed it...hoppy as hell. Lots of hop resin and grapefruity WC hoppiness. The malt profile provides great balance to this bad boy. This is much more balanced than the nose indicated, but make no mistake, this is a predominantly bitter beer. Amazing how the head clings to the sides of the glass all the way down. Sharp bitter finish is followed by great hop resin aftertaste. Very nicely balanced this beer.

Mouthfeel is pretty much right where it should be. Carbonation is perfect, and viscosity is just right. Finish is wonderfully dry and bitter.

Drinkability is top notch as well. I could easily kill a bomber or three of this in one sitting. abv is hardly noticeable.

Overall another fine DIPA from Midnight Sun. If there's one thing to say about M sun IPAs, it is that they are incredibly consistent, and lucky for us, consistently good and brewed on no less than a quarterly basis. I have yet to find one example of a midnight sun hop bomb that i couldn't drink all night. Another fantastic beer, and one i will surely drink alot of. A nice beer to come home to after a few weeks sober in Prudhoe Bay. Mmm...Beer.

To the above poster: HELL YEAH!

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Obliteration V from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.