Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

3767 - Belgian IPA With Brett - Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

3767 - Belgian IPA With Brett3767 - Belgian IPA With Brett

Midnight Sun Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: AKBelgianBeast on 10-27-2009

The extensive distance between two breweries on the West Coast – 3767 miles – is bridged by this collaboration beer. Brewers Gabe Fletcher of Midnight Sun Brewing Company [Anchorage, AK] and Colby Chandler of Ballast Point Brewing Company [San Diego, CA] designed and brewed an exciting representation of their passions: hops, Belgian yeast, oak aging and Brettanomyces.

Just prior to the Great Alaska Beer & Barley Wine Fest in JAN 2009, Gabe and Colby brewed a West Coast-worthy IPA at Midnight Sun Brewing Company. This hop-centric beer became the jumping-off point for other intense flavors. During its course to completion, 3767 was affected by three different yeast strains--including Brettanomyces, aged for several months in French oak Cabernet Sauvignon barrels, and then bottle- and keg-conditioned.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.46/5  rDev +9.6%

Notes from Ballast Point Night @ Naja's 3.4.09. Courtesy of the homegirl Esther.

Pours a bright orange color, with golden/sunlight hue. since it was a small pour, I didn't get much head, but the carbonation was ACTIVE. Fluffy head.

Aroma is complex. Brettanomyces, tropical fruits, stale hops, spice, rotten papaya and rotten pineapple come to mind.

T- Mango (nectar), Brett, sour fuit, minimal citrus notes(maybe grapefruit).

Mf- is pretty good/balanced, feel the bubbles on the tongue, finishes a bit harsh (once it warms up)leaving you with "funky" breath.Dry funk in mouth.

D- Easy drinking, light finish.

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%

An extra received in a trade with mykie73. Thanks, I'd been wanting to try this one. Poured into my Moonlight pint glass, the beer appears dark orange with a billowing seafoam head that lingers for a very long time, eventually choosing to recede in a cavernous fashion leaving a plethora of lacing.

In the aroma, I find a balance of citrus and Brett. Earthy notes accompany grapefruit, grass, straw and subtle clove-like phenols. The citrus isn't prominent, and this doesn't really smell at all like an IPA, but it's still quite nice.

The flavor is spicy and phenolic, with notes of white pepper, clove, grapefruit, and golden apples. Bitterness is at a moderate level, and it seemed slightly at odds with the dry wet leather Brett when cold, but that impression faded when it warmed up. The phenolic quality borders on plasticy at times, though never quite getting there. The mouthfeel is dry and carbonation is at an upper moderate level, and citrus eventually wins out in the musty Brett finish. I generally find the combination of an IPA and Brett to be somewhat disharmonious, but this is pretty enjoyable...a good one for a summer day, or a 65 degree San Diego winter day (subtle bragging).

4.27/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottle, home. Unique and very good.

This beer is a relatively light shade for a DIPA, though it's a few shades darker than some West Coast, nearly all pale malt versions. The head is white and enthusiastic. It sprouts up big and proud upon the initial pour and leaves nice lacing down the side of my glass as it settles. The label art deviates from Midnight Sun's normal folk/cartoon style and uses a slick map illustrating the motivation behind the beer's name.

The aroma is fantastic. 3767 is one of those beers that makes me wish for beer aromatherapy. Light brett, oak and vinous notes hit first. The brett is slightly funky but takes a backseat to the big aromas from the barrel-aging. If you close your eyes and smell this beer, you can almost see the still wet barrel of a big fruity cab. There's a light alcohol note but it doesn't get in the way.

All of this would almost make me think that I was drinking a light barrel aged sour, like something from Jolly Pumpkin, except for a hoppiness that's more noticeable when I'm not sticking my nose in the glass. The hops contribute a very pleasant sweet citric note, orange rinds and blossoms. Superb.

The flavor is quite dry and a bit rough, to be honest. There's probably a bit too much oak and brett robbing this beer of nearly every speck of residual sweetness. The rather strong hop bitterness doesn't exactly help. That said, it's still an enjoyable flavor, overall. The beer certainly favors the West Coast style of IPA/DIPA brewing and would probably be quite hoppy without the barrel-aging and brett. Also, the brett contributes a lightly tart, sour berry flavor that merits a mention.

Mouthfeel is dry and a tad harsh, but it works with this wonderfully odd brew. I'm not sure how many I could drink, but I wouldn't mind putting that to the test given an inexpensive enough opportunity. Before Midnight Sun, I did not expect that Alaska would ever be so high on my list of beer vacation destinations.

thanks to timmcd for this one.

A: Pours a nice a nice bright clear golden hue with a nice off white head. Good retention and lace noted.

S: Aromas of Belgian yeast, spice, citrus hops, and light brett. You can tell this one is funked up from the start.

T: Lots of Belgian qualities, yeast and fruit with a nice addition of citrus hops. The brett is there to add a nice bright tartness.

M: Medium in body, smooth, tart finish.

D: Pretty good. People seem to like or hate this one. I liked it.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured into Bruery snifter.

Pours 1 finger of off white head. Fades to a thinner layer eventually. Leaves some nice lace. Color is a hazed golden orange. It has this odd thick ring below the head. It is a muddy brown color. I have never seen anything like this. Very interesting.

Aroma: Lots of earthy and grassy hops. The Brett is very pronounced. Very funky. Lots of spices. Crushed pepper, coriander, lemon zest, and orange peel. The oak shows from the cab barrels and brings some grape flavors with it. Lots going on here.

Taste: Very funky with tons of brett. Lots of spices: pepper, coriander, lemons, and oranges. The oak is subtle but the the grapes are there. Tons of flavor here. Nice earthy hops with some funk to it. I like it.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, bubbly, creamy, and refreshing. Not to much bitterness here, but a tad. Medium bodied with a nice amount of carbonation. Ends very funky, a tad dry, but pretty clean. Nice.

Overall, this is an awesome beer. There is a lot going on with it and I really like that, as all the components blend together well. It is drinking well and easy to drink. Glad I got to try this one.

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to nickd717 for picking me up this bottle while at the Midnight Sun night at City Beer.

Beers like this are why I love being a craft beer drinker in America right now. A collaboration beer based on a West Coast style Belgian IPA, spiked with Brett, and thrown into French oak Cabernet Sauvignon barrels to age. What's next? An Imperial Stout brewed with a black hole?

Poured this into a tulip at 45 degrees.

Appearance is awesome! Tons of head on the gentle pour, about 3 finger-widths. The head is bright white and very light and airy in nature, it actually kinda looks like the head from some beers I've poured that wound up being infected. Super rocky head on the re-pour. Exceptional lacing, super frothy and sticky. The color of the body is a nice apricot skin hue with little tiny bubbles rising quickly from the bottom of the glass.

Aroma is SUPER DUPER complex, like, what smell do I not get from here? Banana and clove, along with all kinds of tropical fruits like pineapple and guava. A tart apricot type of smell is rising up off of here too, with some black pepper nearer the end. There is also a bunch of citrus, lemon, orange, grapefruit, the usual, but it's sort of stashed away in the back. I'm also getting the sour grapey character off the barrels. The only thing preventing a perfect score is that I also get a little inky character.

Finally, let's move on to the taste of this beast. The first thing hitting my tongue is the pineapple and other tropical fruits, some banana underneath. Moves on to the citrus, grapefruit pith and lemon zing. Sour character dominates the mid-range for me, with some grape skin and other odd indescribable flavors. Peppery finish with lots of earthiness and a bit of ink. This beer is damn interesting and holding my attention with every sip. Edit #1, just got some sour green apple as well. Edit #2, forgot to mention the oak and slight vanilla like character which is there the whole way but, just faintly. Edit #3, gadzooks, I just got ginger, "somebody stop me!!!" -The Mask

Mouthfeel is refreshing. It's light, but not too thin, bubbly in a non-annoying kind of way, and spritzy. The head is inviting. Finishes super dry which is a plus.

Drinks like a champ, don't get any alcohol whatsoever, but with that said... This is a challenging beer. Your palate will probably be a bit shocked at first, but as it acustoms itself to the odd character of the beer it drinks easier and easier. I can't tell you enough how much I would recommend you try to get your hands on this beer. It was one of the few eye-opening beers I have had in my elustrious beer drinking career.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

S: Oaky, earthy, barnyard brett w/oaky tartness. Grassy hops as well.

A: Cloudy caramel brown w/thick off-white head. Thick impressive brussels lace.

T: Older hops but compensated w/brett tartness, and still pleny of bitterness.

M/D: Medium w/avg carbonation. Refreshing. Bitter, dry, refreshing=good drinkability.

Overall: Like it, but don't completely love it. To me hops in an IPA and aging/brett just don't meld perfectly, but this is as good an attempt as I could imagine. If anyone can do it, it would be Midnight Sun and Ballast Point.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

A: The pour is a hazy pale golden color with a nice fluffy white head.

S: The initial aromas are nice American, citrus hops--particularly grapefruit. Subsequent sniffs give off some Belgian yeast and esters with a touch of spice.

T: There's a mild hop bitterness to the flavor, which I didn't know if I was going to get. The Brett is there, but it does not offer a huge funk, more of a drying effect. There might be a tiny bit of tartness too.

M: The body is medium with a high level of carbonation and a nice dry finish (presumably helped along by the Brett).

D: This is one I've been wanting to try for some time now. It certainly is an interesting beer, and I'd love to try it again.

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

The label has a month and week bottled portion on it. There's nothing notched but it "looks" like small white dashes under O for October and in between 2 and 3 under week.

It has a very impressive pour. Cloudy orange colour with 2 finger's worth of billowy foam that's holding up nicely.

There's a strong smell of Brett , yeast, and some hop bitterness that's on the fruity side.

The taste starts off being very funky from the Brett. Wow. When I say very, I mean very. Some fruitiness comes through that tastes like a mix of oranges and lemon zest. Also, now, I'm getting an earthy malt flavour that is only evident short periods of time during each sip. The hops bring a very dry finish and a short aftertaste.

There's, overall, a lot of bitter notes here that will surely please the hop heads out there and the Brett is working very nicely with the bitterness. This is a very good brew indeed though I have to say, to my palate, I can't pull anything out from the oak aging.

It has a good medium mouthfeel with just a bit, imho, too much carbonation but the brew still comes across as fairly smooth.

Drinkability? At 8.0%abv, it certainly isn't something to quaff but it is not a tough chore to drink at all. Very nice. And now that there's less beer in my glass, I can see that there's no shortage of sticky lacing. I'm pleased as punch that I sought this beer out.

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

22oz bottle from City Beer, shared at City Beer. I'm a sucker for a good Belgian IPA, so I liked this a lot.

Pours a brilliant slightly hazy golden color with a large, sticky white head that leaves excellent lacing.

Aroma is very bretty with lemon/citrus notes and not quite as much hop presence as I expected.

Flavor is lots of brett and slight funk. Slightly lemony with some mild citrusy hops. Just a tiny bit tart. I found this beer to be similar to New Glarus R&D Golden Ale, with a little cleaner/crisper funk and more hops.

Medium bodied and fairly dry and crisp on the palate with a good carbonation level.

Extremely drinkable. Overall an excellent Belgian IPA, as I'd expect from these 2 great breweries.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Big thanks to Ira for this bottle, poured into a tulip.

Pours a shockingly clear amber with bubbles streaming to the top and feeding a big creamy white head that leaves thick clumps of lacing on the sides. Wonderful looking beer.

The aroma is sweet with citrus, especially lemons and orange peel, as well as having a spiciness from the yeast and oak. The brett is there and beginning to give an earthy barnyard scent, but it's not overly funky for sure. It definitely still smells like a Belgian IPA.

The taste is spicier and has more funk. The hops are less noticeable and are mostly coming in the form of lemon zest, lightly sour. Certainly less sweet citrus fruits in the taste. The finish is heavy on spicy oak and brett funk. Again, not overly funky but definitely more than the aroma.

The mouthfeel is very effervescent with extremely dry in the finish, almost wine-like in that regard.

Another solid effort from MSBC - a spicy Belgian IPA with a modest dose of Brett funk and oak. I imagine the Brett will really start to grow on this one and I'm interested to see how it develops over time.

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

Big thanks to akbeerfiend for sending a few of these from the frosty north. Served in a Bell's tulip and shared with dschuster03 after a very, very long evening of partying.

A - Pours with two fingers of meringue-like foam that has stupidly good retention - like it looks the same after leaving the glass for five minutes and coming back. Hazy peach color that glows when held to the light. This is about as good as it gets for the style.

S - A mixture of fruity hoppiness that is typical of the Belgian IPA style, and funky brett. Some sort of mixture of tropical fruits - pineapple, pear, mango? There's a touch of sour lemon in the periphery as well as the earthy funkiness typical of a brett beer. The smell is quite potent and complex, and actually defies easy description. Whatever it is, it's very good.

T - The taste has more sourness and chardonnay/oak qualities to it. The hop character is more on the aromatic side of things and less intensely flavorful - although there's still a good amount of funk and lemon. The finish is quite earthy and slightly tannic. Reminds me a little of Uranus - I wouldn't be surprised if part of that recipe was recycled here.

M - Light carbonation, dry tannic finish, medium body that's a touch grittier than I prefer. It's style-appropriate, but nothing mind-blowing.

D - It was easy for us to kill a bomber even after an evening of pretty intense drinking. I think on a fresh palate I could definitely have this on my own. I wish it tasted a little more like it smelled, and I have a feeling it's only going to move into the sour and funky part of the continuum as time goes on.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that Midnight Sun took Uranus and added the tropical fruit-flavored hop bill from Sculpin. It's certainly quite unique - one of the few collaboration beers that I actually like.

3.92/5  rDev -3.7%

pours a semi-clear orange, with above average carbonation, a large creamy white head, and very good lacing.

smell is of yeast, caramel, sour malt, some citrus, and a little banana.

taste is thick, sour malt, pine, hops, a little grapefruit in the back, and some wild yeast, ends a little tart, and somewhat bitter.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

22 picked up today ... was freaking stoked to see it. Poured into my Delerium goblet.

3 finger head looks like a firm meringue... great crusty lacing dries to the side of the glass... nice cap.. the brew is slightly hazed orange.

WOW!! The nose on this is awesome! Citrus hops... pineapple... dusty brett... spicy phenols make me think white pepper... some malts show as it warms up but mainly to deliver the olfactory wallop that practically throws itself from the glass.

Nice bracing bitterness melts quickly into plenty of brett and a bit of woody tannins... hops aren't as prevalent as the nose, but plenty of pithy citrus zest and a bit of resinous pine show... finish is long and wonderful with quite a bit of brett funk and American hops... the body is just where it should be along with ample carbonation.

This beer is fantastic.... I need more bottles .. Certainly the best Belgian IPA I've ever had... I remember loving Green Flash Le Freak and Midnight Sun's Wrath... but the brett in this just takes this to the next level.... I love it.

A: Pours a hazy golden color with a big off-white head. Leaves a nice lace.

A: Beautiful aroma of citrus hops, Belgian yeasts, and Brett.

T: Tastes of strong grapefruit hops and farmhouse musty Brett.

M: Well balanced for a Belgian-style IPA. The hops give this a nice drying finish. Well carbonated for the style.

O: A very well brewed Belgian IPA. I don't think I have had one like this before. So much complexities in the hop plofile, along with the unique characteristics that the Belgian yeasts and bacteria contribute, this beer is amazing. Thank you Midnight Sun and Balast Point for creating this beer. I have bought a few bottles to enjoy. I might be somewhat bias because I was born and raised in So. Cal. and now live in Anchorage but this is totally in my range of beers, IPAs and Belgians.

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

Appearance: An aggro pour gets ya loads of cloudy cratery head. As it halves/as ya drink, crystaline lacing is left behind. Murky golden color. Heavy carbonation prolly from the brett (we'll get to that a lil later..)

Smell: Musky/grape musty, earthy, vanilla bean, pine sap, fresh-squeezed clementine, candied sugar, pepper. Complex, balanced nose and enticing!

Taste: The palate explodes with a perfectly balanced medley of pepper, estery citrus, clove, must, earth, oak, cotton candy, and pine. Give it a good swirl at the bottom to get all the earthy/nutty Euro brett. 8%ABV/70IBUS.

Mouthfeel: Rich, satisfying while being fresh and light. Lovely & balanced.

Drinkability: One drink begets another. And another and another. Alas, gone too soon! ;(

This is the best beer i've ever had in a Bomber. Limited release. It's going to be highly sought after when word gets out. I'm off to grab my share before it's all gone. Thank you, Midnight Sun! A+

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bomber poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, 37367 is a dull, murky pale orage with a huge off-white head, dense and long lasting, very rocky as it settles, leaving huge chunks of lace. While the beer itself is nothing to write home about, the head is ridiculous.

Smell is very funky, musty, at first, but sweetness emerges as it breaths, orange creamsicle.

Taste is really nice, big citrus notes, more esters then hops I think, but both, with a strong bretty bite. Really nice Belgian IPA, digging the west coast hop profile, even though it's obviously faded a bit from the barrel aging, it still comes through, without being overly bitter. No getting much from the cab, but there is a tannic feel to it.

Mouthfeel is dry, medium bodied. Some creaminess, but not on the scale of most MSBC beers, which are exceptional.

Drinkability is pretty high, I'm really digging this beer. This would be nice to have on draft regularly, but I'll probably never have it again. Too bad, cause it's a damn fine brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle received in trade with alaskajoe. Never heard of this before, so glad to get a chance to try this. Thanks Joe! Poured into a Portsmouth goblet.

A - Pours a dirty, yeasty brownish gold color with a huge 3 fingers of fluffy cream colored head which slowly fades maintaining a short whipped cream like cap in the center and lots of lacing down the sides of the glass.

S - Citrusy orange and sweet aroma up front. Lots of brett character. Not much in the way of hop aroma. A little bit of bready malt. The wine barrel aging adds some more fruitiness and a distinct wine aroma.

T - Taste follows the scent, but with some more complexity. Lots of citrus - lemons and oranges. Tons of brett character too. Really nice how the brett works here. More hops in the flavor than aroma, blends well with the brett to give a nice overall bitter taste. Some cab wine flavor too but again, subdued compared to the aroma.

M - Thinnish and almost watery, but no problem, actually works quite well. Carbonation is high and this works well too. Very active and lively beer. Quite refreshing...

D - This is an extremely drinkable beer. Really enjoying this one. Very smooth and easy drinking. Very good brett IPA. Definitely recommend this one.

3.55/5  rDev -12.8%

A- Pretty clear brew. Color is a deep copper. Head is pretty billowy and goes at least 2 or 3 fingers depending how you pour it. You can see bubbles coming up from the bottom which is pretty cool.

S- Smells like a sour beer which isn't surprising given the Brett and also because it was aged in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. I also get lots of fruityness like apples, pears, and grapes. Very fresh. Hard to detect any hoppyness, maybe ever so slight in the background.

T- Um... oh my... This is taking some getting used to. Its very funky. Its like a million flavors in my mouth which I am having trouble controlling. ... As I drink, it is getting better. I was close to beer face on the first couple sips as my palate was getting used to this. So there is a crazy sweet and sour aspect to this which is just driving me crazy. I am not normally a big sour drinker for this reason. As I am drinking it I am getting tons of tart grapes and it comes out pretty dry. The warmer it gets, the more it goes into a more IPA like bitter stage. This is truly a unique brew that takes me on a roller coaster ride of musky tart and bitter flavors and to be honest I am having trouble enjoying it as I would most straightforward brews of this style.

M- Pretty thick going down. The alcohol is non-existent which is nice. Even though the head is thick and billowy the carbonation is very subtle going down. Very smooth.

D- I would have a hard time have more of these. Overall this was a good experience but this is just not my thing. I have enjoyed other Belgian IPAs like Hopsinjoor and Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel but this one just is too much on the sour side. I can see how some people would absolutely love this but it just isn't me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- This beer gives great head, even on a fairly mild pour this beer unleashes the fury. The lacing on this thing is like that of a sexy fish net stocking. Onto the beer itself it is an excellent golden fluid I'd love to swim in.

S- This has loads of complexity. The IPA hops come though right off the bat, then there is a bready yeastyness that is there next. All the while there is a naked dancing midget, we'll call him Brett, and he is dancing in and out of the smell profile the whole time with his sour acidic smelly dance that isn't overpowering but its just there the right amount.

T- Interesting, very interesting in a beard stroking way. Complexity is the name of the game for sure, lots going on here. The IPA part of this beer has a great hop taste solid, refreshing, and crisp. The Belgian side of this beer is earthy and bready with a hit of fruit. Again our friend the dancing midget dances through the taste profile bringing sour splashes of goodness. The barrel aging has added a great level of complexity that just pushes this beer over the edge in greatness. Excellent touch.

M- The Midget must dance to his own music because he likes to stick around very long after the taste doing his own thing. This has a nice thickness to it, and great carbination.

D- This is a super easy beer to drink, but it is one that is worth savoring. Lots of flavors if consumed too fast you might miss the different profiles this beer has to offer. Great brew!

Added Pic

4.57/5  rDev +12.3%

This poured a hazy dark gold with lots of fluffy white head. It smelled quite complex like sweet oranges and tart cranberries and sour funk, with some grapefruit and apricot and a bit of creamy yeast and oak. It tasted very complex also like sweet orange and mango and grapefruit hops, with oak and sour yeast and funk, and a bit of caramel malt and other spices. It was somewhat thick with mild carbonation, and had a bittersweet and sour aftertaste. Overall this was a very unique beer that had a bit of everything. It was an amazing balance of sweet, sour, and bitter. It was clean and delicate, but still bold with good body. It also hid the alcohol well, so it was easy to drink, but this needs to be sipped to be fully enjoyed. A fantastic beer like none other. There was just so much going on, and it all worked together in perfect harmony. Amazing.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

22oz bottle from the fridge.

Pours hazy copper with a two inch head of off-white. Plenty of ripped lacing throughout the glass as well as a full, dense surface coat.

Aromatics lead off with grassy, earthy hops, dried fruit, and mild funk. Pineapple, wet hay, cut grass, clove-studded cedar, grapefruit, and spruce resin. Hints of tangerine, white pepper, lemon zest, and grape skins follow through.

Medium bodied with a drying, crisp mouthfeel. Woody and quenching.

Dried fruit, spice-rubbed oak, pine pulp, and a tannic vineousity lead off the palate. Shades of grapefruit, orange pith, and juniper follow through.

Finishes with a building dryness, earthy brett, grassy hops, and a mild warmth. Bitterness in check and balancing.

A very tasty, quenching, complex beer. My only dissapointment is the level of hops, both flavor and aroma, which is low considering the pedigree of the collaboration. Maybe the Brett ate 'em.

Big ups to Tim again for another great beer!

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Smells of grapes and sweetness, very pleasant and floral. Pours a small head but amazingly stagnant lace, murky golden color. Tastes like the cabernet grapes its supposed to, being aged in those oak wine barrels.

I taste some poignant yeast (brettanomyces), but the hops are mild if not fairly hidden by the bitterness. Dry floral taste overcomes your mouth.

Drinkability is excellent, this beer is worth going after. Get a couple bottles if you can.

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

We've been waiting for this one for 9 months. A collaboration beer brewed by Gabe Fletcher of Midnight Sun and Colby Chandler of Ballast Point brewing in San Diego, CA.

This is one complicated beer. It's an IPA brewed with belgian and american yeasts, then dosed with brett in secondary, aged in french oak cab sauv barrels and dry hopped. 8%, 70 IBUs.

Pours a clear light orange color with a giant easy forming stark white cauliflower head that lingers forever and leaves great lacing.

The nose is mostly Gabe's unmistakeable brett strain and a good portion of american hops, along with a noticeable spiciness of what im guessing is another kind of belgian yeast.

Taste is quite complex. Starts off with nice belgian yeast and mild bitterness. Soon though the bitterness builds and the brett takes control. A fair amount of good funky flavor, but there is an IPA in here as well with some american hop flavors lurking, and defined bitterness as the glass gets shorter. The finish is savagely dry and very crisp. Brett and dry hop flavors linger in the aftertaste with a little bit of belgian yeast as well.

Mouthfeel is pretty much perfect. Ample carbonation and a nice medium viscosity with a scorching dryness on the finish, ideal.

Drinkability is also quite solid. The 8% abv isn't even a concern as this one is consumed and the bitterness is balanced very well by the belgian characteristics. The brett is nice and obvious without being too dominant as well.

Overall, simply put, this is one of the best Belgian IPAs i've ever had. A masterfully crafted beer, and one I will surely be drinking very high volumes of in the near future. I strongly recommend getting your hands on some of this if you can. It sounds like minimal quantities could be showing up in CA, and possibly WA and OR as well, but when i say limited i mean count on one hand, so keep your eyes and ears peeled. Excellent beer.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3767 - Belgian IPA With Brett from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.