Bar Fly (2011) - Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

Bar Fly (2011)Bar Fly (2011)

Midnight Sun Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.60% ABV

Smoked imperial stout aged in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels.

(Beer added by: largadeer on 03-18-2011)

4.53/5  rDev +3.2%

I finally got to try this elusive beast of a stout.

Black pour with a very small chocolate colored head.

Smells like a big American stout. Dark chocolate, molasses, and vinious nose. Not as smokey as I had thought it would be. It's somewhat tame.

Bold dark chocolate fudge flavor. Some smokieness to cut the sweetness. Licorice. Thick coating on the tongue. Cab barrel adds a nice dryness to the beer but the chocolate flavor lingers on. I feel like this beer is somewhat similar to Zukhov.

It was similar to what I imagined it to be. Wished there was more smoke to it though.

4.3/5  rDev -2.1%

From 04/14/12 notes. Poured into my Cigar City snifter.

a - Pours a very dark brown, almost black color, with one inch of tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Looks pretty good.

s - Smells of roasted malts, dark fruits, dark chocolate, smokey malts, lightly toasted and burnt malts, some wine, oak, and sweet fruit. Very nice nose; very roasty and chocolatey, and the smoke is light and nice.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, sweet dark fruits, oak, sweet chocolate, alcohol, smokey malts, molasses, burnt malts, and toasted malts. Still quite nice but the alcohol comes out in the taste.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Super smooth and creamy body. Perfect mouthfeel for a stout for me.

o - Overall I thought this was a very good stout. The nose was great and the mouthfeel was perfect. A little more alcohol then I would like in the taste but world class and would love to have it again.

4.15/5  rDev -5.5%

Served in a midnight sun glass. Beer is black and dark with a thin tan head of small wispy bubbles. Some lacing. Low carbonation.

Aroma is boozy, sweet, anise, nice. A little boozer than I thought.

Medium to big in body. Fudge, sweet, smoke, licorice, nice. Good finish. Mildly bitter. I enjoyed it.

4.25/5  rDev -3.2%

22oz bottle .. Team Tubes #46 .. Shared at the first get together at Matt's .. I was excited about trying this one!! .. a smoked imperial stout! very intrigued! .. . Pours a deep brown black, medium foam, good lacing of light brown smudges .. . aroma of roast, light bbq pit, and burnt wood- quite balanced .. . similar tastes, just less smoke and more tar .. . wow, i really enjoyed this, a well made brew, but next time guys, add more smoke .. . Oh, so they have Internet on computers now!

4.53/5  rDev +3.2%

From notes.

Bar Fly pours completely black with a small tan head. The cap stays around for a minute before fading to a few wisps.

The aroma is fairly sweet; sweet milk chocolate, vanilla, and molasses.

The flavor is very smooth, blending all of the flavors together in harmony, and follows the nose while being a little bit less sweet. There are some red wine notes and slight tannic nature in the middle of the sip. Lactose, chocolate, roasted malt base, red wine, a bit of coffee, vanilla, and oak.

Silky smooth, thick, creamy, chewy, and viscous. The carbonation is creamy.

Overall this is a pretty fantastic beer.

4.73/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle poured into my Portsmouth tulip. It poured thick looking and pitch black in color. A thin, frothy, dark colored head barely covers the top of the beer and is already sticking to the edges of the glass.

The aroma is showing a really nice chocolatey flavor with some red wine and dark fruits to it. I get some woody oak and vanilla mixing in along with just a hint of smoke. A little bit of alcohol is present, but not bad for the abv. Great aroma overall, it had some really good, bold flavors to it but they really come together well.

The taste blends the roasty, chocolaty, slightly smoky flavors of the Imperial stout with the Cabernet barrel characteristics perfectly. The base imperial stout really comes together well, it's extremely smooth and flavorful. I get some oak and vanilla coming from the barrel aging, but the slight wine like, dark fruit character that comes out in it is what really impresses me. It gives it a little bit of a chocolatey wine character that I'm really liking. Some darker, bitter-sweet chocolate seems to balance out the finish. The flavors really compliment each other in it, with so much going on I'm extremely impressed how well it came together.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side and somewhat slick. Carbonation is on the lower side. Overall it was a fantastic beer. Everything came together pretty much perfectly in it. I loved how well the wine barrel complimented the imperial stout flavors. It was so smooth and so flavorful. I'm buying the hype on this one, I thought it was really something special.

4.93/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours dark black with a two finger mocha head, with good retention and lacing. The aroma is amazing. Chocolate, cocoa, black licorice, smoked malt, and molasses. If this tastes as good as it smells, this should be phenomenal.

The taste is sublime. Chocolate, cocoa, black licorice, smoked malt, molasses, vanilla, and oak combine beautifully to make one of the best Imperial Stouts I have had. There is also a light amount of roasted malt for some balance. Given the flavors, one might expect this beer to be cloyingly sweet, but it is not. This is just a very well made beer.

Full bodied, rich, and creamy with moderate carbonation. Very smooth, and a pleasure to drink. the alcohol is well disguised. I can't believe this beer has 12.60 % abv from the taste. It is a shame this beer was only brewed once. In my opinion, this beer should be an annual release.

4.6/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A huge thanks to Jason (jrallen34) for sharing this at AgentZero’s birthday tasting. This is a beer I never thought I’d try. Taken from notes and review 700.

Appearance – Pours into my trusty tulip with a dark black color and some great looking mocha colored head. The finger of head dissipates quickly leaving very little lacing.

Smell – Huge chocolate, heavy roasted malts, nice smoke characteristics (though not overbearing), vanilla, oak, and some cocoa.

Taste – I will be the first to admit smoked stouts are not often my thing. I also will state that when a beer is given to me by someone and I did not have to put my blood, sweat, and tears into obtaining it, I could care less whether it was rare or not (not that I rate things higher if I traded heavily for them, but we all know there is most likely some subconscious bumping of scores). That said, wow. A very balanced beer with so many distinct flavors. Begins with heavy roast and bittersweet chocolate. It then moves to the hint of smokiness (again, not overbearing thankfully) and melds with vanilla and tannic oak. Dates, prunes, and raisins mixed with molasses. Ends with more roast/smoke.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, lower carbonation, finishes nice and dry.

Overall – Not your “normal” smoked beer in my opinion, meaning it is not overly in your face that no other flavors can be ascertained. A freaking great beer and very happy to have been able to try it.

4.95/5  rDev +12.8%

Served in a snifter-style wine glass, shared with 5 friends.

This is the second best brew that MSB has conjured, IMO. I would rate the top 5 brews from the madhouse as this:
1. M
2. Bar Fly
3. Good Mojo
4. Pride
5. Sloth

Pour is dark, dark brown-black with a brown cream rim, filmy residue on edges of glass, fine enough to think it is crystallized foam.

Smell is oaky, chocolatey, cane sugary, dark creme brulee with pecan nut seed.

Taste is phenomenal, thin in feel and heavy in flavor. The oakyness is present without a doubt, but slightly subdued by the richness in sugar and patent-like malts. The chocolate tastes more milky than dark, but the wood bbls tone this delicacy so that one flavor is never too dominant over another. Noticeables: smoke, vanilla, oak finish, thin feel, thick taste, chocolate, purified sugars, milk, coconut, faint caramel.

Best imperial stout from MSB, better than Abyss IMO, better than Berserker.

4.1/5  rDev -6.6%

First had: ? somewhere in Portland, OR

I have this beer in my notes, but damn if I can remember where exactly I had it. It's on the same page as my Apex notes, but I'm sure I didn't have it there. I'm going to assume it was part of the bottle share we had at Beermongers with writerLJberg. And if so, thanks to whoever provided the bottle.

Poured a dark black with a moderate tan head. Lots of roast in the nose, cocoa, coffee, dark malts, the usual suspects, with hints of vanilla'd oak and smoke. Complex taste that follows and augments the aroma, dark malts, roastiness, chocolate, coffee, vanilla, oak, molasses, a non-offensive dose of smoky charcoal and grape skins, imparting a slightly bitter and dry quality. Heavy-medium body, smooth and flavorful, very drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

Bar Fly (2011) from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.