3000 Belgian-Style Barleywine - Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

3000 Belgian-Style Barleywine3000 Belgian-Style Barleywine

Midnight Sun Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

American Barleywine |  13.20% ABV

In this ridiculously wonderful world we've created, we make beer- one batch at a time. As the scientist in us demands, we number said batches. And while every batch of our beer is special for us – providing a fresh start on a new day, establishing an experimental opportunity, bringing together our minds and spirits, projecting our company forward – each batch also scores time.

To celebrate our 3000th batch, we present a Belgian-style Barley Wine, simply called 3,000. Luscious layers of flavor begin with barley, wheat and rye malts followed by triple-hoppping with a single varietal. Fermentation, using three distinct yeast strains, achieves complexity in character and, of course, alcohol. This special batch was transferred into red wine oak barrels for eight months to age gregariously yet gracefully. After bottle-conditioning, this exclusive beer is ready for immediate enjoyment although it can be lovingly cellared for future festivities.

As we release 3,000 in January 2013, we hoist our glasses in thankful toast to YOU – our dearest friends in beer!

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 12-29-2012)
Reviews by SkeeterBoganski:

4.19/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Mike for the opportunity. 22oz. bomber into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a big, frothy 3 finger dark cream colored head with excellent retention. Beer is a super dark, almost opaque mahogany. Lacing is thick and layered with excellent stick. A superb looking beer all the way around.

Nose smells like a soured dark beer all the way around. Sour wine notes mix with caramel, toffee, brown sugar and a touch of roast. Some wet wood and burnt malt lingering in the background. Deep and aromatic. But the combination of flavors is a touch odd.

Opens with some tart fruit wine notes. Caramel and toffee sweetness linger nicely in the background and play oddly with the tart/sweet grape and cherry present. A little weird and not at all "Belgian-y". Brown sugar, more toffee, and a touch of boozy sweetness at the end. Finishes with hints of oxidized sweet purple fruit. Aftertaste of just a touch of sap hop bitterness. Very strange but I like it.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Oily and slick with some bubbles in the mouth. Goes down smooth with a touch of booziness. Finishes messy with a lingering, sweet, filmy aftertaste. Pretty solid. Considering the huge ABV, this is very, very drinkable.

This beer is a touch odd and its certainly no M. However, I think with what is going on here, this will develop into a very interesting brew down the line. The flavor combination is very unique and although certain notes feel out of place, it has a lot of room to integrate and change. I'm glad I have a couple cellared.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Pours with a big head. Deep brown caramel. Thick collar and nice legs.

Smell - Lots of red wine character. Caramel. Yeasty. A slight acidic character.

Taste - Hint of a bright flavor. Touch of acidity. Deeper than caramel flavor. Almost milk chocolate. Red wine comes out in the middle. Dry finish.

Mouthfeel - Very chewy barleywine. Great body, despite how highly carbonated it is.

Overall - Good, but the red wine barrel doesn't blend as well as I thought it would.

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

3.61/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Reviewing the Midnight Sun 3000 from Midnight Sun Brewing Company out of Anchorage, Alaska.

Score: 85

Bottle is from the January 2013 release. Served in a snifter glass and enjoyed on 03/23/13.

Appearance: Pours just under a finger of tan head atop a deep brown colored body. Good lacing, above average retention. 4/5

Smell: Red wine/grapey sweetness, fruitiness, cinnamon, brown sugar, yeast, vanilla and toffee. This is a complex nose that is different (a lot more vinous) than anticipated. Hops-devoid for an American-style Barleywine. 4.25/5

Taste: The red wine aging is quite apparent on the tongue. This beer has a tangy sweet red grape flavor that has a sour-esque quality without actually being sour. Lots of fruitiness, almost like slightly funky jam in flavor. Vanilla, a little cocoa and toffee too. The flavors do not particularly integrate well, and the "tangy" red wine character really throws me off. Where are the hops (not that I think they would go well with this already messy flavor mix)? 3.25/5

Mouthfeel: Not quite full-bodied, but viscous. Average carbonation level. Does not drink like a 13+% ABV beer in the least. 4/5

Overall: I am very glad I got to try this beer and am grateful that my friend could hook me up with it, but found this one to be a massive disappointment. I was expecting a much better integrated beer that was not so vinous in light of the reputation of M. I brought this beer to a group tasting, so I did not have a large enough poor to dwell on the negatives for too long, but there is a good chance that had I had a full pour that I would not have wanted to finish it. Maybe time will treat this beer well, but I am finding more and more that I do not particularly care for stouts or barleywines aged in red wine and port barrels.

Cost: $15 for a 22 oz (bomber) bottle.

2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

4.34/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3000 poured opaque with a nice, tan head that was persistent and left a nice lacing on the glass. The nose was primarily of oak, from the barrel-aging, with some malt creeping in. At 13.2% ABV, and 25 IBUS, this beer certainly comes in on the malty end of the malt-hops continuum, but I found it surprisingly dry on the palate, compared to say MSBC's Arctic Devil Barley Wine. Don't get me wrong, it's still a big, chewy, sweet beer; it just seemed a little less so than some others. The flavor profile is everything you'd expect from a big, oaked, Belgian quadruple: malt, dark fruits, woody notes, hops purely to balance, and the alcohol barely discernible. As good as this brew is, I look forward to what several years in the cellar will do for it. Good luck finding any bottles for sale, but if you can, get as many as you can to cellar and savor.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

3000 Belgian-Style Barleywine from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.