3000 Belgian-Style Barleywine - Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

3000 Belgian-Style Barleywine3000 Belgian-Style Barleywine

Midnight Sun Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

American Barleywine |  13.20% ABV

In this ridiculously wonderful world we've created, we make beer- one batch at a time. As the scientist in us demands, we number said batches. And while every batch of our beer is special for us – providing a fresh start on a new day, establishing an experimental opportunity, bringing together our minds and spirits, projecting our company forward – each batch also scores time.

To celebrate our 3000th batch, we present a Belgian-style Barley Wine, simply called 3,000. Luscious layers of flavor begin with barley, wheat and rye malts followed by triple-hoppping with a single varietal. Fermentation, using three distinct yeast strains, achieves complexity in character and, of course, alcohol. This special batch was transferred into red wine oak barrels for eight months to age gregariously yet gracefully. After bottle-conditioning, this exclusive beer is ready for immediate enjoyment although it can be lovingly cellared for future festivities.

As we release 3,000 in January 2013, we hoist our glasses in thankful toast to YOU – our dearest friends in beer!

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 12-29-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
jegross2

3.61/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Reviewing the Midnight Sun 3000 from Midnight Sun Brewing Company out of Anchorage, Alaska.

Score: 85

Bottle is from the January 2013 release. Served in a snifter glass and enjoyed on 03/23/13.

Appearance: Pours just under a finger of tan head atop a deep brown colored body. Good lacing, above average retention. 4/5

Smell: Red wine/grapey sweetness, fruitiness, cinnamon, brown sugar, yeast, vanilla and toffee. This is a complex nose that is different (a lot more vinous) than anticipated. Hops-devoid for an American-style Barleywine. 4.25/5

Taste: The red wine aging is quite apparent on the tongue. This beer has a tangy sweet red grape flavor that has a sour-esque quality without actually being sour. Lots of fruitiness, almost like slightly funky jam in flavor. Vanilla, a little cocoa and toffee too. The flavors do not particularly integrate well, and the "tangy" red wine character really throws me off. Where are the hops (not that I think they would go well with this already messy flavor mix)? 3.25/5

Mouthfeel: Not quite full-bodied, but viscous. Average carbonation level. Does not drink like a 13+% ABV beer in the least. 4/5

Overall: I am very glad I got to try this beer and am grateful that my friend could hook me up with it, but found this one to be a massive disappointment. I was expecting a much better integrated beer that was not so vinous in light of the reputation of M. I brought this beer to a group tasting, so I did not have a large enough poor to dwell on the negatives for too long, but there is a good chance that had I had a full pour that I would not have wanted to finish it. Maybe time will treat this beer well, but I am finding more and more that I do not particularly care for stouts or barleywines aged in red wine and port barrels.

Cost: $15 for a 22 oz (bomber) bottle.

03-29-2013 04:49:27 | More by jegross2
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Shared by BucketBoy. Thanks Joe.

The beer is dark brown with a bubbly beige head. The aroma brings wine, oak, malt, brett. Rich and full bodied. Moderately low carbonation. Big barrel character. This beer is starting to turn sour. Very tannic. Some fruit tones. Alcohol warmth throughout. This was pretty good.

04-06-2013 03:23:48 | More by Huhzubendah

yourefragile

District of Columbia

3.91/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle, thanks Joe.

Pours a dark cola brown with a bubbly, oily khaki head. Fruity Belgian yeast and red wine barrel notes complement each other in the nose, with light leather, molasses, dark malt, and tannins. Thick, chewy body with moderate carbonation and a dry finish that lingers with a blend tannin and leather. Flavor starts with dark malt, chocolate and sweet with a subtle transition of grape and dark fruit to a slightly tart wine barrel presence. Not much alcohol presence but too oaky. Not sure I'd care to try again but some age wouldn't hurt.

04-06-2013 20:51:15 | More by yourefragile

05-06-2013 15:40:17 | More by MinorThreat
KevSal

03-07-2013 19:30:08 | More by KevSal
ReeseMax3

This is my first full review. I'm not the best at describing what I taste but ill give it a go. Poured into a snifter.This doesn't look like any barely wine I have ever seen. Dark like coffee and relatively thick. With a tan bubbly 1/4" head that dissipates quickly to a foam that lounges around for the duration. Sticks to the sides of the glass.The smell is of milk chocolate and tobacco and malt. This is a tasty brew. If I wasn't told the style, I would call it a belgian strong dark ale rather than a barley wine. You can tell thus beer was coddled. Not a hint of the 13.2% abv. It's unbelievable how smooth this beer is. Extremely balanced and tastes of chocolate,molasses, tobacco, dark ripe fruit, a little sour( maybe cherry), roasted malt and a hint of smoke. A very nice brew. Definitely worth a try if you can find it. I have a couple to cellar.

* for what it's worth, I gave a lower grade for the look b/c it doesn't look like a barley wine. Who cares? It tastes damn good

01-26-2013 22:25:32 | More by ReeseMax3

baybum

04-29-2014 01:55:38 | More by baybum
zestar

06-03-2014 08:55:15 | More by zestar
3000 Belgian-Style Barleywine from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.