Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze) - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze)Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze)

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 09-13-2003

4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

bought from BeerPlanet
drank at home

A: golden sunflower color. clear. beautiful.
S: impeccable balance. oak barrels. some pollen sweetness. citrus (pomelo). mmmm
T: just the right amount of awesome sourness. Delicate bitterness in dry finish. mmm delicious.
M: medium carbonation. dry to the bone. acid forms backbone of this beer.

4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

Doesn't get much better than thls! Poured cold, straight out of the fridge with a nice foamy, thick, off-white head that slowly settles and a little lace. Color is a clear amber with some tiny bubble trails. Aroma is yeast, tart, citrus, spice, perfume. Flavor's like nose, tart from yeast and carbonation perfectly married up front, hint of sweet, and grapes in back; very clean. Body and carbonation are perfect. Finish is like flavor, long, refreshing and satisfying. Truly a masterpiece.

4.95/5  rDev +17.6%

2013 vintage. Poured into a Cantillon tumbler.

L- hazy gold straw, non persistent white head.

S- some funk, lots of lactic acid. Phenols, but in balance.

T- sublime balance between brett fruitiness, barnyard funk, lemony sour, some soft cereal grains, with a lasting phenolic bitterness.

F- good and effervescent. Some oak tannins.

O- the balance is great. It's worth the hype.

4.93/5  rDev +17.1%

One of the best bottles of Gueuze I've had. A young Gueuze, so the taste is not as sour as an Oude Gueuze. Beeradvocate says it is retired, but mine was bottled 27 August 2013. So it is probably back in production. Of course, I got it in Ghent, Belgium and not the good ole US of A.

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

750 ml bottle tasted at the brewery. Hazy yellow with chunks and mud in the bottom of the bottle. Rapidly disappearing head with scant lacing. Aroma of must and mold and citrus and horse sweat, but in a good way. Sour dry taste, wonderful complexity with notes of grapefruit and lemon. Even wakes up your tonsils. Dry finish. Heaven.

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

I've recently started to get more into sour beers and to my delight, I spotted a bottle of this on the shelf at the local beverage warehouse.

Poured into a Rare Vos glass.

Color: A decent golden-amber color with a one-finger head.

Aroma: Sour with a tart hint of apple and fruit on the nose. Definitely smells like a gueze.

Taste: Tart and mouth-puckering upfront. Hints of sour fruit, especially apple and grape. Finishes dry and sour.

Mouthfeel: Tart and sour. Apple flavors shine through more. Simple and smooth.

Verdict: Definitely more tolerable than other sour beers I have had. It's a style that's not for everyone but I find myself enjoying it the more I get into it. If you have an affinity for all things sour and you love beer, you might like guezes. I would recommend you pick up a bottle of this. So far, it's possibly the best example I've had. It's not overly sour and the aftertaste is smooth.

4.89/5  rDev +16.2%

375ml bottle, poured into a flute glass.

This one was bottled in 2008 with a blend of 04-05,05-06 and 06-07.

I managed to convince my local bottle shop (Warners at the Bay) manager to stock this and I am glad that he did.

A - Cloudy yellow with moderate carbonation. The head forms well then disappears after a while.

S - Strong yeasty, fruity smell. This is a delight to smell which accentuates the taste.

T - Tart as any good lambic should be. A good lemon taste with a hint of vinegar This makes it very refreshing. Reminds me of that first mouthful of natural yoghurt which gets better with each mouthful.

M - Fresh with no hint of carbonation. Great on a hot day.

D - I could happily drink this all day. I look forward to my visit to the Cantillon brewery this July. Whilst I recognise, this is not everyone's cup of tea (or glass of beer) this is an exceptional example of a lambic.

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

375ml bottle from 2008. Pours a hazy dark gold with a small white head--looks like a gueuze should. Acidic, musty aromas abound. Definite brett character, though it's overshadowed by sourness. Subtle woody notes. Intensely tart, acidic taste with notes of must and leather in the background. Some very slight, citric sweetness. Earthy and oaky. Incredibly dry. Full-bodied with low carbonation. The quintessential gueuze.

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

This and the other 100% Bio are the same beer, this is just the European label. The US label can't be called organic since the standards here are different than the European standards, but it's the same beer. Alas, I'll rate both.

4.82/5  rDev +14.5%

A- Nice golden straw color with a little haze, little head

S- Funk and grass. Lemon grass. Smells like a farmhouse

T- Wow. Lemons and grass. Slight grapefuit. Sourness with a slight bitter finish

M- Good mouthfeel especially with the pucker factor of this beer. Wish for a little more carbonation but still great

D- Its drinkable if your into the style

Wow this beer is just fantastic. I just love this beer with all it sour goodness. Its like drinknig the farmhouse. Its sour but not so overpowering that you cant drink it. I see what the hype is about and I put this in my favs list.

4.82/5  rDev +14.5%

Bottle labeled Cantillon Classic Gueuze

Golden with a thin head. There was little head retention

Very sour smelling. Tart and acidic. You can tell that there's some good funk.

Apples and funkiness galore. Dour overwhelming at first and then mellows though the glass. Terrific.

Nice finish and very crisp. fine carbonation levels.

A great sipping beer. You need to sip in order to enjoy all the complexities. One of the best guezes I have tried.

4.8/5  rDev +14%

Served in a Duvel tulip at 8-10 celcius.

Pours hazy orangish yellow, thin but large white head that dissipates down to a film over the beer, very little carbonation.

Aroma of sour apples, raw peeled potatoes, feet and unripe pear skin. Flavor is a bomb of sour fruit esters and sourpatch kids candy.

Dry and puckering, extremely good, I would make this my lawnmower beer if it was available easily.

4.79/5  rDev +13.8%

750ml bottle, from the brewery itself, then flown back to the US as checked luggage. 2003 vintage. Also some impressions taken from the four days I had it at the brewery, in similar bottles.

Appearance: medium orange, zero head, zero lacing, minimal carbonation noted.

Aroma: Tangy sharp, slight vinegar. Classic brett, hard to imagine how it could be done better.

Taste: beautiful, distinctive Brett goodness. Tangy, sharp, assertive, puckering brett beauty. Little else: minimal hop character, minimal malt body.

Mouth: mostly a puckering, little else to say.

Overall: A delight, at least for those who love traditional gueze. Puckering, tangy and delicious. I'll buy it again and again, every time I have the opportunity.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

12.7 oz bottle. Sure hope I'm reviewing the right one, mine has the picture of the fermenter in the barley field, called simply "Organic Gueuze." Bottle in 2005, as on the cork. I sure wish they dated the outside of the bottle, as you don't know the vintage until after it's opened. Poured into my favorite glass: my tall Wal-Mart pilsner, at about 50ºF.

Active carbonation with lots of fast bubbles and a solid head. Pilsner colored, mostly clear but some unfiltered haze, making for a very pretty beer.

Smells like a gueuze: funky, earthy, sour, 12-grain bread, sour apples, wood. Smells great.

Taste is really complex, because it has alot of extreme flavors, and yet they all blend to make a mellow beer. Initially it's very salty, along with the expected sourness, although both are presented very gently. Grains are also present, but again are subtle and blend perfectly with everything else. Richer and much less tart than I anticipated. Dry and refreshing. Reminds me of a salted margarita.

Mouthfeel is just right, light and refreshing. Excuse the comparison, but it is as lightly bodied as a US macro lager. This is a beer you could really session with.

Overall, this beer is the very definition of balance. Delicate and delicious. I guess I picked a good age to drink it as well. The perfect beer for an afternoon or along with a salad. Highly recommended for lambic lovers and sophisticated margarita drinkers alike. Cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Ah, Cantillon in Oz. Had the pleasure overseas about 4 years ago and have looked forward to drinking them again.

Dark orange/dark gold in colour. Very low head and low carbonation.

Such a exceptional smell. This to me is an example of true beer aroma complexity. Where to start: Has a real cider and wine smell to it - very unbeerish (in the standard sense). White wine, skanky old barrels, apples, citrus and a massive does of Belgian funk (barny more than poo). Amazing appeal.

Palate is initially loaded with sourly deliciousness (salty even?). Hard citrus bend - lemons and grapefruits followed with the familiar wine/cider trip. Sourness is very upfront and tight, however, as the glass goes on and the palate tunes in and the sweeter fruiter edge comes out. Lovely. Some real pungent funk bite in there as well.

Broke out some Gruyère to go with this and the Gueuze really started to sing on the palate. Given time it really opens and continually changes - gets softer, vinous, fruiter and even better tasting. Going back to the store for some more!

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

duck duck geuze (sorry, couldnt resist)

@ 12.99 for a bottle this aint cheap fizz, nice pop of the cork, immediately hit with that belgian yeasty/bready/honey thing... but I am getting ahead of myself..

this bottle has no bottled date but I trust my beer guy and he told me it is a fresh case right from belgium.

straw lemonade suspension, one full finger of head dissipating, no carbonation bubbles seen in the murk, the color, although murky looking, is incredibly consistent glass to glass, knowing all that goes into this style that amazes me.

the standard farm belgian nose, like dough witha touch of honey or even summer flowers and behind it lies a flow of lemon tartness.. makes the mouth water, I close my eyes and imagine a fruit hybrid made from pears, apples and lemons, where you get the sweetness of pear apple on a bite then the finish is the tart refreshment of lemon sorbet.. wonderfully balanced nose.

the lemony flavor is up front (not as heavy duty as cantillon's other lambics). the medium body almost is hidden because of the tart refreshing finish. the carbonation is just enough to keep this afloat in the mouth, like the nose, this is balanced as well. I also detect a little salinity in the finish matching the tart ness, which gives way to subtle apple/pear tones.

well, if you like geuze dial this one up, this is a very drinkable brew, there are no distractions of too much fruit etc, you really get the raw lemon feel of the style. for me this is nearly as good as it gets.. awesome brew.

4.74/5  rDev +12.6%

One of my favorite gueuzes, truly a pleasure whenever I open a bottle. Poured this one into my Cantillon tulip. Pours a pretty amber with a half inch head. Clearer than most gueuzes. Nose is lemon and tangerines, a wine aroma not unlike a dry white like pinot grigio, tangerines, and earthy brett aromas. Taste is lots of fruit, including more lemon and orange citrus, pineapple, melon, and granny smith apple. One of the more acidic geuezes (a quality I quite enjoy). A beautiful beer!

4.74/5  rDev +12.6%

thank once more to sanatar for sharing this one. It's a quick favorite!

Cloudy golden with a small bubbly head. Aromas are prounced stinky locker feet, lemony citrus, and horse blanket to the max. Flavors are identical, with an emphasis on the dirty horse. Sour flavors make my tongue squirm and contract. I am addicted to this feeling! High carbonation. The dirtier the sour, the better. It took about five sips before I was no longer surprised at the ways this gueuze took over my palate with all of it's sour flavors. Yum! I am craving this one again.

4.74/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - Light fizzy straw. Very little head that leaves a small amount of lacing.

Aroma - Mmm Sour, baby diaper, lemons, hay, and a bit of oak.

Taste - Just as the aroma. Finishes better than any "sour" beer I've had.

Mouthfeel - Clean, light, refreshing, medium carbonation.

Overall - The best Gueuze I've ever had.

4.73/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours in the glass a bright golden color. Very bubbly and effervescent with a thin white head that faded quickly. Smells like sour fruit. Taste is sour and also very dry, similar to champagne. It's a dynamic flavor, bubbly in your mouth but easy to drink. This is a great beer to have with brunch.

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Graciously shared at a tasting commemorating JK sours release...poured conservatively into a tulip, estimated 3 oz pour. My first Canty, vigin no more, it's a brand new world.

Cantillon is just so experienced in their ways. The only reason I didn't give this an even more perfect score is because I had my first DDG before this.

Appearance is liquid hay, cloudy layered beautifully. The smell is all barnyard, funk, sweet citrus-y juices, pineapple...

The taste is wonderful, palate cleansing, apricots, citrus, just so primitive and refreshing. The mouthfeel was lingering, just the salt of the Earth in a bottle. Cantillion, I'd say keep up the good work, but I'd be an 100 year old broken record- just simply know what they're doing, I'm very humbled... And to be honest I feel honored to have drank it.

I shall return.

4.73/5  rDev +12.4%

Today I'm going Belgian: I'm tasting to different kinds of two Gueuze from different beer-houses (Cantillon and Oud Beersel
Well, here we go...

A: When I opened the bottle (33 cl.) with first the bottle-opener and the cork-screw it poured golden (with some orange). The head was surprisingly small, white and compact - but small. The beer was also cloudy, with some residual lacings.

S: The first thing that hits your nose is the yeast (Brettanomyces), but there is also dryness, fruit (I can sense green apples), malt and a very obvious freshness.

T: I can't believe it's beer (it's somewhere between cider and white wine) - taste a Bud and then taste this, you'll know exactly what I mean. It has a dry taste, it's also acidic (with a hint of citrus). But a main taste is the freshness. A very strange thing is that it tastes like black powder smells after you fired it. The aftertaste is so long!!! It's dry and acidic.

M: Dry and your tongue gets tickled.

D; This is a great Gueuze, but I guess it's not for everyone - either you love it or you hate it. But if you're into beer - you can't die curious - try it at least once.

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

Cork Dated 2003.

Out with the Old…in with the New. For some time Cantillon have been using organic ingredients in the production of their lambics. As time goes by it seems that all of the Gueuze leaving the brewery will be of the Gueuze Lambic-Bio (or, Organic Gueuze) variety. Certified Organic by Ecocert Belgium.

Presentation: Classic looking 750ml Cantillon green glass bottle comes with a cork/crown cap, all luxuriously covered in a lovely thick dimpled black foil that covers the slender neck. Light hints of a very dark rusty-orange liquid above the cork once the crown cap was removed, but it cleaned up easy enough. The main obverse label has a picture of a poppy laden field with the Cantillon Copper juxta-posed against it.

Appearance: My Cantillon Lambic Tumbler was steam cleaned then rinsed in cold water and allowed to dry. I poured the contents of the whole 750ml bottle at once into a Jug, from which I topped up my Tumbler, the way I always like to drink my Cantillons. The body exhibits a gorgeously hazed peach-lemon body with an inordinate amount of active streamers throughout. Uncontrollable head is restrained with a careful pour to form a thick white cap that fizzes loudly (put you ear against the glass!!) and slowly collapses to leave a thin white halo. Unholy appearance…..this is Lambic-Gueuze at its best; stunning and dangerous with a blessed heritage, it looks fantastic and defining of the style in the straight-sided Cantillon Gueuze Tumbler. A gentle tip reveals almost zero carbonation, non-existent lacing.

Nose: Oh Yes…..intense Pavlovian aromas, the mere whiff of a Cantillon Gueuze sends my Brain into overdrive, a high speed movie collection of Belgium memories and the of the few times that I walked into the Cantillon Museum in Brussels. Dry, acidic, lambic astringency with some freshly squeezed sharp lemons. This used to make my eyes water and have my nasal hairs screaming surrender, in French of course ;-) but these days I am hardened to its massive intensely upfront nose, I may be used to it these days – but it still impresses, Cantillon Gueuze still has a defining odor that is never forgotten.

Taste: Take the nose and form the gaseous hints into liquid fact. Puckering right from the off, my dry lips suffer a battering as the lemon acidity stings the edges of my mouth. The carbonation tumbles out the Gueuze as it flows across the tongue, leaving a trail of funky farmyard devastation; sour rivers are swelled with a series of biting tributaries from the citric tartness, malt vinegar, Brett flowing Artesian wells and yeasty oak casks. Sour, sharp, dry, biting and funky. Pure Cantillon, it is easy to see why this one blended brew fills up for over half of the bottles that leave Rue Gheude, 56 in Brussels.

Mouthfeel: What moisture I had, has long gone, replaced with a yeast laden lambic plasma that stick to my tongue and eats away the flesh. High level activity from the dissolved carbonation fashions nicely with a dry acidic evaporation.

Drinkability: I have such a weak spot for Cantillon Gueuze, this is dangerously drinkable and so bloody easy for me to overdose on, and I just cannot resist it.

Overall: Could I tell the difference between the original Gueuze-Lambic and the newer Organic Gueuze version? Probably not. Should this be listed separately to the “regular” version? Maybe! Maybe not!! – Who cares? Not me! Just enjoy this marvelous thoroughly traditional Lambic-Gueuze for what it is, a defining example of a great Beer Style that once tried, is never ever forgotten, but always missed. Now where did I put those Tums…..?

Always an Honor and a fantastic pleasure to savor this Masterful product, nice to finally savor the “new” Organic version.

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picture this:
You're standing in the door of a threshing barn, looking out over an orchard with apples, lemons and oranges.
The setting sun pours an amber haze over everything. You close your eyes and feel the sun's warmth on your face, and the smells of the fruit - sweet and sour, almost stinging -, and barn - wood, somewhat mouldy, different cereals, dust, undefinable funk - swirl and mingle.
And you feel like you'd want to stay there forever.

That's Cantillon geuze: amber to golden colour, your expected barnyard funky smell, and a very sour bite to it, just enough alcohol to warm you without burning. It's a geuze, and i happen to love those, and this one is quite exceptional.
The ONLY pure and natural geuze: no addition of any yeasts, the wort is inoculated with wild yeast spores in the air.
The original beer, in every sense.

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle into snifter at Open Baladin, Rome

Appearance: clear golden yellow, 1 finger white head

Smell: funky belgian sourness, sour apple, citric, lemon zest, over ripe raspberries

Taste: dry sourness, notes of oak mixed into the typical sour, bitter gueuze palate. Aftertaste is s-o-u-r!

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, low carbonation

Overall: wow is all i have to say. Took me long enough to find this, but this is one of the best sours i've ever had.

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze) from Brasserie Cantillon