Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze) - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze)Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze)

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 09-13-2003)
1.78/5  rDev -58.3%

Pour amber and flat with no head. Aroma was the semi-sweet smell of decay. The taste was sour, just sour, no bitter, no sweet, no anything else, just sour. Feel was light bodied with zero carbonation. It was hard to get it past my puckered lips. Drinkability? I simply have no idea. This was horrible. If it had been a wine, I would have said it had turned. I have tasted vinegar with better flavor. Just for the record, I will never try anything like this again. I blame ignorance in my not having an understanding of what a lambic was. 8 bucks literally down the drain.

2.1/5  rDev -50.8%

I'm slowly trying to understand and appreciate sour beers, but then I come across a beer like this and it sends me back to square one. At Dyan's HOTD tasting the other night; this was the "dinner" beer. Everyone else at the table lapped it up, but as for me....

The beer pours an attractive gold color with very nice head retention and lacing. On the nose, mama mia!!! How in the hell can anyone drink something that smells like this? The aroma in this beer is about as rank as anything I've ever come across, and is just flat out disgusting. You just can't tell me this is how this beer is supposed to smell. I get mustard, vinegar, head cheese, dead possum and God alone knows what else. Flavors on the palate replicate the nose, coupled with a gut wrenching and palate pulverizing blast of sour. Maybe this beer would make a nice vinegarette salad dressing, but actually drink this??? Mouthfeel is pretty light, as one would expect with the low alcohol. The beer finishes with a sulpheric bite, which only adds to the horror.

Horrible and completely undrinkable. The intensity of sour in this beer is amazing. I just don't get it. Can I go now?

2.13/5  rDev -50.1%

No head. hefeweizen-looking, only less opaque.

Smells like something fermenting in the bucket I left in my sisters garden.

Oddly bitter and sour. Tastes like I would imagine fermented grains to taste had I never tasted beer before. Kinda sweet, kinda extremely sour.

I would have rated this beer higher, but then I tried to imagine what piss might taste like, and all that would come to mind is the taste of this beer I had just consumed. Therefore, I consider my score for this beer, quite charitable.

2.25/5  rDev -47.3%

Pours a rich golden to orange color with no lasting head, and almost none to begin with. Smell is unappealing guaze, horseblanket. Taste is very sour and bland with no real flavor. No maltiness or sweetness, and just spoiled bacterial sourness. Saying this tastes of the multitude of fruits I've read in reviews really seems to be stretching it a bit to me...

2.4/5  rDev -43.8%

Clear pale gold with copper highlights and a thin determined head. It leaves really nice lacing. The smell was acidic when I first opened the bottle, but given a chance to breathe it takes on sweet & sour fruit notes, with apples, cherries, and fresh hay. The taste is nice malt at first but just flat-out puckeringly sour. There is a pepper to the finish, as well as apple and apricot notes but wow. This thing is puckering my mouth just sitting on the table. The mouthfeel is creamy and slick, the drinkability is just not there. I can't get past the sour, be it appropriate for the style or not. Sorry, not for me.

2.5/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I like beer, this isn't a beer I like!

I've been to the Brewery, done the tour, drank the stuff while there and I just can't bring myself to enjoy any of the products I've had. This green 75cl cork and crowned bottle is no different. I can see why this style of beer is dying a death.

I travel to Belgium about 4 times a year for little beer breaks and I've really tried to embrace the Gueuze/Lambic way, but I've failed.

Opened during a Belgian Beer Night with friends, this didn't go down at all well.

Light orange, slightly cloudy, hazy it looked like a nasty cider.

The aroma was of rotting old lemons, vinegar and sour cooking apples.

The taste is sour, sour anything and everything really. Just sour.

The closest liquid I've had that tastes and feels like this, is pickling malt vinegar.

2.58/5  rDev -39.6%

Poured from a 37.5cL bottle into a small flare glass.

A: I had considerable trouble with the cork. Poured fizzy, barely hazy, with a light copper tone. Little to no head, no lacing.

S: Sour fruit, brine, and a faint urine scent. I realise this hardly sounds appetising, but it's strangely appealing...and certainly interesting.

T: Initially I was pleased as I was met by sour fruitiness and pleasant carbonation. But then disaster struck -- the briny smell emerged in a flavour tasting *exactly* like pickle juice. Honestly, it's as if someone dumped a pickle jar full of spoiled wine into my beer. I am not pleased. After a few sips it becomes less offensive -- perhaps it didn't age long enough? The aftertaste is similarly unpleasant.

M: I gave this a four for novelty; the mouth-puckering isn't enjoyable, but neither is it entirely unpleasant. Like biting into a lemon, only less tart.

D: Perhaps lambics just aren't for me. I could barely finish half the bottle. I'll try one that's been sitting around a few years and see what I think then.

2.68/5  rDev -37.2%

A - A deep gold with a small frothy white head. Head has good retention. Specks of lacing scattered about the glass. Slightly hazy. Edit: the slightly warmer beer had no head or lacing. Adjusted score from 3.5 to 3.0.

S - Smells intensely of tart lemon rind, concentrated vitamin C, stale air over stagnant waters, rotting wood (smells like rotting pine if you want to be specific) and, well, a bit of horse shit. Tiny bit of acetone and fresh macadem. This is funky enough to send Parliment back to the drawing boards. While . . . interesting . . . the smell is hardly enticing. It is so potent that it is actually quite offensive. Edit: As it warms the smell of shit subsides and is replaced by the much preferred smell of horses. The tartness decreases in potency while the rotting wood shifts to a roting oak which is slightly preferred. I adjusted the score from 1.0 to 2.0 to account for the new smell.

T - Puckeringly sour. Like sucking on a vitamin C pill. Aside from that there is . . . well, some lemon and musty water - like what I imagine water that was used to dust something would taste like afterwards (I know that one should dust with a dry object, but still). There is a faint bitterness in the bizzarrely tart aftertaste. Again, here this is absurdly sour, but not to the point of being gross. It also lacks the more unpleasant characteristics so prominant in the aroma Edit: The sourness wanes slightly while the mustiness increases. I don't think this affects the overall flavor much.

M - Smooth, thin, extremely refreshing - no complaints here.

D - I generally enjoy sour beers, but this over the top. It is quite possibly the most sour thing that I have ever consumed in my life. The smell is just awful, but the rest is not bad. It serves as a very refreshing sour beverage if the smell can be ignored. I want to try other gueuze to see if they are all like this. This particular gueuze went fairly well with a hickory smoked gouda.

2.73/5  rDev -36.1%

Bottled 7 June 2011

A: Straw colored, small white head that doesn't last very long. Nice bubble streams

S: Funky and earthy. Not much complexity. Really working to pull much out of this. Maybe a touch of diaper :-(.

T: Really dry and earthy. Not very tart at all. Very minerally in the finish. About a third into the glass, I'm starting to get past the mineral assault and pick up a touch of fruit, apricot perhaps, but quite mild.

M: Despite the bubbles, not very carbonated. Maybe needs more time past the bottling date to fully condition? Palate scraping astringency.

O: This is proving to be one of my least favorite gueuzes. Seems pretty one-dimensional. The lack of carbonation particularly makes me wonder if I should have given this more time in the cellar to condition.

2.75/5  rDev -35.6%

2.9/5  rDev -32.1%

I had this bottle under the alias "Cantillon Classic Gueuze"....

this brew is sour in the nose...slight bitter aroma as well...the taste was very sour....i got lemons out of it as well...

another oddball from Canitllon....maybe I should start trying these beers when I'm not wasted....I even love sour ales...and sour candy....

2.93/5  rDev -31.4%

I drank this from the tap into a pint glass.

It pours light brown with a white head, and decent lacing.

It smells sour, with hints of grass and citrus.

The taste is ok, its very sour, almost to sour to drink. I tried it as a taste before I got it, and I'm glad I did because I probably couldn't have finished the glass.

2.95/5  rDev -30.9%

Last sunday we had a beer tasting session at my house with three other BA's and a bunch of friends. This was the second bottle we opened.

I wrote it in my other review; i am not mad about this type of beer. I bought this bottle at The Struise brouwers when i was there last april. Just wanted to try it.

Poured in a tasting glass the beer looks like a gueuze; nothing spectaculat to see but average for a gueuze. The fluid was cloudy yellow, no foam or carbonation. Not as sour as the Girardin i tasted before this.

2.98/5  rDev -30.2%

Bottled: 20 March 2009

A: Clear golden body pours no head, thus no lacing.

S: Sour apples, vinegar. Not sure what else. Feels really off.

T: Sourness of fruits and vinegar, some yeast giving an interesting taste.

M: Light bodied and low carbonation. Leaves an off aftertaste.

D: Second time I've tried this, once fresh and this was one year aged. I still don't get the hype - maybe I will some day.

2.98/5  rDev -30.2%

Capped AND corked...I like the touch and extra protection. Let me preface this by saying that this is only 1 year old. The bottle says it can hold up for 20 years, and I really think it could benefit from some aging...

Pours a light golden color with a decent white head. Retention is alright, but nothing overly impressive. Aroma is basically softly acidic. Sourness is a bit more muted that I was expecting, but this is definitely a sour, acidic beer. Really, that is about it. It has a bit of crisp pilsner maltiness to help balance the acidity, but it just seems pretty one-dimentional. Not really any fruity or floral notes that I was expecting. I am thinking about getting another to age, or at least give this another shot and re-review.

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%

Poured from the green bottle into a wide wine glass.

While I found this beer very drinkable for the style, this beer lacked the rich complexity that sour beers are known for. Simply put, this just tasted and smelled like sour lemon - there was no real level of funk. It's still a pleasant sour, with a lemon and herb bent, but that isn't enough.

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My first gueuze...

Capped, corked and black foiled 12.7oz poured into a stange.

Hazy apple juice with a small white head that falls to a ring of big bubbles. Lots of smaller bubbles cling inside the glass. Now that I think about it, this looks a lot like Vernor's Ginger Ale.

The nose is a nice balance of funk and citrus. Plums, something acrid (vomit?), the barn I bailed hay in when I was 16, green grapes and zest of lime. At first I didn't like it, but the more I sniff the more complex it gets.

Wow, is this tart! Like an extremely dry white wine, with some cider made from crab apples, and a touch of white vinegar. The apple notes slide in for the finish. I found the mouthfeel too watery, not something I would normally session to say the least.

A bit too much for me, but interesting enough that I will try other examples of this style.

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours a cloudy apple juice color with a modest head that drops quickly and leaves little lacing

Smell: Sour horse blanket, barnyard uric acid smells waft upwards; not something you want to spend much time smelling

Taste: Starts out moderately sour and leaves you wondering which direction it is going to take as some pithy grapefruit flavors kick in; in a few seconds, there is no doubt where you are headed as the sour flavors burst forth in your mouth; very intense and assaults your tastebuds

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and modestly carbonated

Drinkability: I know some folks enjoy sour lambics, but I find them very challenging to consume as they bring to mind certain associative flavors that I don't care to discuss in print

3.33/5  rDev -22%

A: Pours a murky golden color with very little head and lacing.

S: Lots of Belgian funk and yeast - smells very "sour" if that's possible. Hints of oak are also detectable.

T: OMG sour! This bad boy grabs your tongue and tries to rip it right out of your mouth. Hints of oak and white grapes are also apparent, but overall the flavor is dominated by the sour. I was hoping for a little more complexity from this.

M: Fairly light bodied with a fair amount of carbonation and a dry finish, like champagne.

D: Meh, I bought this to drink at midnight on new years eve and was pretty disappointed overall. I was expecting a little more from the Cantillon name, but it wasn't awful. This needs a little more balance between the sour and other flavors.

3.33/5  rDev -22%

Bottling date is 27 August 2013. Almost a year old.

A: Oddly enough there was some liquid under the cap, above the cork. Not sure if that's a good sign. Pours a hazy, orange-gold? Medium sized fizzy white head. Decent head retention but zero lacing as you'd expect.

S: Lots of tart fruit aromas. Apricots and apples primarily. Light citrus rind. Touch of sulfur.

T: Sour apples and apricots again. Super tart of course. Tart and funky as hell in fact. Super bitter orange peel. So bitter, it's almost bile-like. Sulfur-like, rubber-like aftertaste that hangs around forever. Tastes like a car did a burnout in my mouth between sips.

M: Medium bodied, super tart and bitter.

O: Interesting transition of sweet and tasty fruitiness up front that quickly turns sour, then funky. It's pretty good but that burning rubber and bile aftertaste is a bit hard to get past.

3.35/5  rDev -21.5%

2004 on the cork, so more than several years old. 750ml bottle, poured into a Malheur goblet.

Pours a golden orange with a small white head that dissipated quite quickly. Light carbonation seen rising. Minimal lacing.

Aroma of hay, cider vinegar and light hops

Taste is again hay, grassy, cardboard, woody and some grapefruit. Tart, but not overly so.

Mouthfeel is rather light and dry. Lightly cleansing. Dry. Somewhat lifeless.

Overall, I think this brew was past its prime. I've had other guezes that I liked, so I'm chalking up this rather lackluster performance to old age [or storage issues]. Not terrible, but nothing exciting.

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

Transparent yellow/orange body with a fizzy white head. Lots of bubbles in this one, leaving a thin layer of white over the beer. Smell is well on the funky side. Taste is lemon citrus and rather dry. Good stuff, my first introduction to Cantillon and I'm definitely excited to try more!

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze) from Brasserie Cantillon