2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze) - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze)Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze)

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 09-13-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 636 | Reviews: 352 | Show All Ratings:
popery

4.44/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Draft, City Beer Store. A wonderful beer and an excellent take on the style. This isn’t my favorite gueuze in the world, but that’s hardly a real complaint. This beer pours yellow-orange and fairly cloudy with a tight white cap. There’s a ton of funk, fruit and grain in the nose. It smells of barnyards, lemons, sour apples, hay, grass and leather. The taste is dry with a big sour bite. I’ve had a couple bottles of this beer in the past, and the keg seemed a bit tarter, though I have no idea of its age. The beer tastes like lemons and brett. It’s deep and earthy. It doesn't seem quite as complex as the best of the style but still lots going on and it could well be an issue of batch variation. More importantly, it’s a pleasure to drink. I finished my glass much too quickly and would have loved another (for a lower price).

01-28-2013 02:19:47 | More by popery
alfrantzell

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

On tap at Moeder Lambic. Strange, being able to get gueuze on draft. Stranger still that it tastes cleaner, crisper, and less funky.

Maybe it's the temperature. I warm the glass in my hand and revisit it. The oaken horseblanket still takes a backseat to the sourness. It's refreshing. Not quite as smooth as Cuvee Saint-Gilloise, but along those lines.

Another masterful liquid from Cantillon.

04-16-2010 08:31:43 | More by alfrantzell
glid02

Georgia

On-tap at the Brick Store.

Pours a hazy bronze-yellow color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of barnyard funk with very slight hints of nondescript fruit sweetness.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Sharp acidic flavors up front smooth out into a funky tartness. The level of tartness is actually a bit lighter than what I was expecting from Cantillon for this style. Tart green apple and unripe pear flavors lurk in the background. The ending is crisp.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a moderate thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished the glass fairly quickly and could have another.

Overall as I mentioned before this wasn't terribly over the top in sourness and was actually quite well balanced. Worth a shot.

08-18-2009 00:38:18 | More by glid02
cjgator3

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

On-tap

A- On-tap at Redlight Redlight in Orlando, FL. I was really excited to see this on-tap.

S- The aroma is fantastic! There is some floral notes, along with a lot of sour and oak. Damn near perfection!

T- The taste like the aroma gives you that nice sour flavor I have come to love in a good gueze. I love it, great stuff!

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Simply put, this stuff is amazing on-tap. I could drink this all night long!

08-15-2009 23:30:43 | More by cjgator3
PhillyStyle

Georgia

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

On-tap (8/6/09) at the Brick Store Pub, .25L serving in an oversized wine glass:

A - The beer appeared a hazy golden color that produced a finger's worth of head that was not retained, but as will be noted below, the beer had very little carbonation in it anyway, so I don't think that I can really ding it too much.

S - The aroma was different, as expected, lemon and lime perhaps and maybe some other fruits, grapefruit maybe, but a definite sour-ish aroma coming through. I really liked it.

T - At first the sour really hits you over the head, but after the initial shock, it has a really nice flavor, follows the nose almost to a T. The freshness/youngness of the beer is really noticeable on the pallet. It is kind of tough to explain how you can tell, but you just can.

M/D - I would say that the beer had a light medium feel to it, sweet and a little sticky, dry and once you get past the sourness of it, extremely easy to drink. Overall, very well done and a beer that I will most certainly have again.

08-13-2009 19:08:04 | More by PhillyStyle
jrallen34

2.93/5  rDev -31.2%

I drank this from the tap into a pint glass.

It pours light brown with a white head, and decent lacing.

It smells sour, with hints of grass and citrus.

The taste is ok, its very sour, almost to sour to drink. I tried it as a taste before I got it, and I'm glad I did because I probably couldn't have finished the glass.

08-02-2009 15:22:34 | More by jrallen34
Slatetank

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

I had this on tap at the Brass Rail deli and bottle shop. Served chilled in a wine glass.

A - A honey amber w/ very light white speckling the surface w/ visible carbonation and a ring on the glass w/ pin points for beading.

S - An intensely sour citrus note w/ mild rind aroma w/ a nie complement of funk, hints of spice and mild melon aromas. The bret yeast is up front and the odor is very captivating

M - An acidic yeast yet spritzy feel. The malt is slightly nutty and the beer finishes clean w/ a subtle spiciness. The tart lingers on as the vanilla/toast notes of the wood are noticeable

T - a huge tartness w/ lemon and citrus rind and melon flavors. The vanilla oakiness which leaves a subtle nut and caramel taste w/ tangerine flavor and the pith w/ hints of grapefruit and slightly lactic sourness.

D - I can only have a glass at time since this has a certain intensity. This is a beer to savor for me. The gueze has more complexity than any lambic I have tasted and would return to this example again many more times. I think this is one of the most enjoyable of the style I have had-very drinkable.

12-19-2008 18:53:18 | More by Slatetank
DIM

3.6/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

a: This was a slightly hazy, pale golden color. It was served to me without a head.

s: Classic gueuze funk, but with a little something missing. This lacked the "prickly" quality I've found in all the bottle conditioned gueuzes I've tried.

t: Here again, this tasted fine, but there wasn't that yeasty "ooomph" I was expecting. It was tart and mildly acidic with flavors of apple cider vinegar. Still, it just didn't seem to be all there.

m: Moderately fizzy carbonation and an average gueuze body.

d: So this wasn't as good as bottles versions of this style that I've tried. I was still tempted to order another.

12-02-2008 21:29:46 | More by DIM
akorsak

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

Served on-tap at the Brass Rail deli in Campbelltown, PA.

A: The geueuze is light orange, fairly hazy with little head. In fact, the ale barely looks carbonated.

S: The nose is tart, sour with citric acid. Grainy bread flavors are evident after the initial tartness passes.

T: Tartness, lemony and citric, is intense with a high pucker factor. The tartness is acidic not acetic, funky but not vinegary. As the funk passeed, a strangely medicinal flavor emerged. It took me a while to pin it down but the taste is that of penicillin.

M: The transition of tart to medicinal is abrupt and that finish leaves a bit to be desired.

D: One glass was sufficient, but I do have a bottle that I'm anxious to try. If only to see if the penicillin flavor is there.

11-15-2008 02:00:43 | More by akorsak
futurefjp

United Kingdom (England)

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Not bad, but a real experience. Not a session ale, but a step outside the comfort zone for me. This to me is Cider/Wine/Beer...I find the taste confusing and its so tart...but its very crafty and refreshing. I think this is a really skillful beer to produce as there is simply so much happening so hats off to the Master Brewers in Belgium yet again.

04-11-2008 14:34:59 | More by futurefjp
ROMER79

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

I had to post this beer. I had this beer for the first time ever at a bar in Philadelphia called Jose Pistola's. They actually have this treasure on tap. Not only is it on tap it comes in an imported glass from Belgium which holds 10 oz for your enjoying pleasure. It is $13 dollars for a 10oz, but that is not bad considering what the owners have to go through to keep this beer on tap. I suggest that if you get a chance to try the beer, try it! Don't let the price scare you away, it is well worth it.

A: A nice golden yellow with a white head and bubbly like champagne.

S: Very sweet like a fruit salad or cotton candy.

T: Sour, bitter, and dry. Champagne like.

M: Very dry almost like wine, yet bubbly like champagne.

D: If you conquer the bitter/sour feel, you can drink this like your favorite wine. Bubbly!

02-22-2008 18:02:14 | More by ROMER79
Abbbp

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Graciously shared at a tasting commemorating JK sours release...poured conservatively into a tulip, estimated 3 oz pour. My first Canty, vigin no more, it's a brand new world.

Cantillon is just so experienced in their ways. The only reason I didn't give this an even more perfect score is because I had my first DDG before this.

Appearance is liquid hay, cloudy layered beautifully. The smell is all barnyard, funk, sweet citrus-y juices, pineapple...

The taste is wonderful, palate cleansing, apricots, citrus, just so primitive and refreshing. The mouthfeel was lingering, just the salt of the Earth in a bottle. Cantillion, I'd say keep up the good work, but I'd be an 100 year old broken record- just simply know what they're doing, I'm very humbled... And to be honest I feel honored to have drank it.

I shall return.

03-15-2014 05:13:19 | More by Abbbp
flayedandskinned

4.56/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

bottled February 1st 2013

Appearance: (4.75)
Pours a hazy golden straw with a very tightly bubbled, two finger tall pure white head. The quickly dies down to a half finger's height, leaving no lacing behind in it's wake. For a gueuze, the head that remains is quite stable.

Aroma: (4.5)
Wow, as soon as the beer is poured your nostrils are struck by loads of fully matured, slightly cheesy Brettanomyces funk; plenty of musty horse blankets, wet hay, dried apricot flesh, peach and bright pear undertones. Beneath this funk are juicy notes of tart lemon and pineapple juice. As the beer warms, subtle vanilla from the oak barrels begin to surface amongst the funk.

Taste: (4.5)
Bright, tart lemon juice slaps your palate immediately, quickly followed by the huge, fruity Brettanomyces character that was so present in the aroma; rich dried apricot flesh, pineapple, musty dried leather, damp earth and hay. The beer finishes off dry and tart with long, deep lingering rustic tones of light stone fruits; mostly apricot and peach, pineapple and very creamy, slightly malty vanilla tone. Amazing.

Mouthfeel: (5)
Medium bodied, with a very creamy texture, assuming from the rolled oats that were utilized in the base beer. Firm carbonation.

Overall: (4.5)
The organic version of Gueuze from arguably the most sought after Lambic producer, Cantillon. The classic "Cantillon" funk is ever so present in this beer, but for me, what really separates this Gueuze from the rest of the lambic producers is the fact that the body is so silky and creamy. The beer is really is a balanced as a sour can get, as the Brett funk really cuts through, yet doesn't overwhelm the tartness of the aroma or flavor. Definitely worth seeking out.

02-18-2014 01:37:20 | More by flayedandskinned
jandadeboer

4.94/5  rDev +16%

One of the best bottles of Gueuze I've had. A young Gueuze, so the taste is not as sour as an Oude Gueuze. Beeradvocate says it is retired, but mine was bottled 27 August 2013. So it is probably back in production. Of course, I got it in Ghent, Belgium and not the good ole US of A.

02-06-2014 18:11:07 | More by jandadeboer
JohnG190

4.66/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden color with a quickly dissipating white head with no lacing. Funk and lemon on the nose%2C with sour and yeast notes. Sour on the front of the palate with lemon%2C green apple%2C and that funky %22horse blanket%22 that is the signature of these beers. Finishes quite dry and champagne-like%2C very refreshing. Mouthfeel is light with effervescent carbonation. Overall%2C this is an outstanding example of the style. I wasn't a big fan of sours prior to this%2C but this beer is a palate changer for me!

01-11-2014 12:22:56 | More by JohnG190
rand

4.44/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

750 mL bottle poured into flute glass

A: Apricot-orange in color, a gentle pour yields and fluffy but wispy head, quickly dissipating as it never existed.

S: Grassy, farmhouse funk mixed with lactic acid. Touch of honey lingers, ample carbonation propels dry, apricot-apple aspects.

T: More floral than the nose, the grassy notes still lead the palate. Sour, but oaky dryness subdues any pucker before it starts. Seemingly seasoned, with white pepper and salt notes throughout. If there are any fruit suggestions, they appear towards the close...again, hints of apple and apricot. Finishes dry and quickly.

M: Light, festive and effervescent... seems to bounce off the palate.

There are many criticisms one can throw at a cantillon beer...if anything, this is more funky than expected. But as it warms, it actually gets easier to drink, almost refreshing.

Although the banner says this is retired, it's my understanding this will be brewed again.

11-29-2013 08:15:18 | More by rand
zhanson88

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

750mL, bottled 10/2012.

Appearance: Pours out a very slightly hazy golden straw color with a good deal of carbonation. About 2" of egg shell white head forms which, has awesome retention and lacing. Just about perfect appearance in the glass.

Smell: Barnyard funk, lemon tartness, hints of green apple and pear, floral and grassy notes as well. Nice and complex nose, but the tartness is most definitely the most prominent feature.

Taste: Hints of green fruits up front which lends a bit of sweetness initially, which is followed by grassiness and floral notes. The finish is lemony tartness with a touch of horse blanket.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Light bodied with high carbonation. Nice, light and airy on the palate; a great feel. Overall, an excellent beer. Hard to give any aspect less than a 4.5. A very layered, complex gueuze that is great in every phase. I have had the pleasure of having a number of Cantillon sours and this is as good as any I have had.

11-23-2013 05:54:25 | More by zhanson88
Roman5150

Spain

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle into snifter at Open Baladin, Rome

Appearance: clear golden yellow, 1 finger white head

Smell: funky belgian sourness, sour apple, citric, lemon zest, over ripe raspberries

Taste: dry sourness, notes of oak mixed into the typical sour, bitter gueuze palate. Aftertaste is s-o-u-r!

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, low carbonation

Overall: wow is all i have to say. Took me long enough to find this, but this is one of the best sours i've ever had.

11-13-2013 19:34:49 | More by Roman5150
FLima

Brazil

3.91/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Amber golden color with a short lived head.
Very strong sour aroma with hints of horse blanket and baby diaper (unused).
Flavor with a nice lemony tartness with notes of green apple cider, vinegar and green pears. Dry and acid aftertaste with an increasing puckery sensation.
Medium body with low carbonation of the tiniest bubbles possible.
That was my first sour beer a while ago and I had no idea what I was ordering, so it was quite a shock back then. Trying her again after some mileage gave me a completely different experience, I found it pleasant and refreshing. Excellent role model for the style. Now I know why Sour heads like it.

11-07-2013 17:18:28 | More by FLima
bareju

Washington

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled March 2012. This is the first sour beer/lambic I've tried.

A: Poured a beautiful, hazy golden amber similar in color to ciders. White head with fine bubbles, very thin, receded to edge of glass quickly. Not nearly as much head as I expected.

S: The first thing I noticed after uncorking was a strong, sour lemony smell wafting out of the bottle. Very strong aroma, but hard to describe. A little bit of funk and apple as well.

T: Follows pretty closely from smell, sour lemons, apple, funk. Sour bite lingers on the tongue long after the beer is swallowed.

M: Crisp, thin, lots of carbonation - mouthfeel reminds me of cider. A little dry, but not overly so.

O: I can't shake the overall impression that this is the sour cousin of a cider. The flavor was strong enough that I drank this one very slowly (~30 minutes). This would be absolutely great on a hot day, and was a very pleasant introduction to a whole new genre of beer. I will definitely be purchasing lambics in the future.

11-05-2013 17:34:26 | More by bareju
Stevedore

Wisconsin

4.46/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

75cl bottle from the 2013 bottling purchased at the Brasserie Cantillon for consumption on-premises during our trip to Belgium on 7/4/2013; poured into the Cantillon stemmed taster glasses. Also drank a 2012 vintage yesterday at our whale tasting 7/13/2013.

Smelling this geuze takes me all the way back to Anderlecht. When you walk into the brewery, you smell this beer straight up- leathery, funky, musty, earthy are the best adjectives I have for this somewhat hard to describe smell. Very pungent and strong. Hard to miss the nose here!

It of course pours a golden-orange body with a heck of a lot of carbonation. Hazy body. Tons of white head that never really goes away in any significant amounts- plenty of retention here. Lacing is very good.

Tasting this beer is just great. Acidic lemony vinegar, a good bit of funk and some more lemon sourness. This is the classic sour beer here and you can't miss it here. The carbonation is excellent and the flavours just gets delivered very well. The aftertaste is mostly the acidic earthy funk and it definitely cleans out whatever I had on my palate. The finish is not dry at all, unlike the 3F Oude Geuze- it is refreshing and I can keep sipping on this beer all day.

This is a classic, best example of a geuze. This is a must-try for anyone who likes sours that has not had this yet. I love Cantillons and I think I would take this one just a notch above Drie Fonteinen's Oude Geuze, but its a very close one. I don't usually have to pick one over the other because I'll take whatever I can find here in the US!

09-21-2013 14:53:32 | More by Stevedore
KVNBGRY

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle

Appearance - Light fizzy straw. Very little head that leaves a small amount of lacing.

Aroma - Mmm Sour, baby diaper, lemons, hay, and a bit of oak.

Taste - Just as the aroma. Finishes better than any "sour" beer I've had.

Mouthfeel - Clean, light, refreshing, medium carbonation.

Overall - The best Gueuze I've ever had.

09-14-2013 14:51:07 | More by KVNBGRY
FondueVoodoo

British Columbia (Canada)

4.09/5  rDev -4%

A: Pours a slightly hazy pale gold with 1 finger of white head with small amounts of lacing along the sides of the glass.

S: Under ripe fruit of pears, apples a delicious apricots together with notes of funky wet hay and horse blanket. Background scents of white pepper. Overall the scent is tart and dry.

T: Tart apples and pears with a slight breadiness. Finishes with funky notes of wet hay.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation and a dry finish.

O: The scents is quite stunning and fills the room with tart pears and apples. Unapologetic in its tartness and dryness. While sours are not my favorite style, this is very easy drinking and refreshing.

08-24-2013 21:09:22 | More by FondueVoodoo
bigaltemple

Colorado

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

750 Bottled 2/2/12

Pours a golden orange with a decent amount of cloudiness. Fluffy white head becomes a thin ringlet almost immediately. Small rings of lace quickly disappear after a sip.

Cork isn't even completely out and the musty funk fills my nose. Lots of wet hay and citrus acidity. Green apple as well. Can't tell if its more of an "off" cheese or sweaty foot characteristic, but more concerned that either of those are making me excited to drink this beer.

Lemon acidity and green apple tartness. Not completely mouth puckering sour. Some underlying oak. Very crisp light body. Creamy mouthfeel.

Excellent!

08-06-2013 03:15:30 | More by bigaltemple
facundoCNB

4.16/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

a very clean golden yellow pour with 2 fingers of fluffy white head which dissipated into an 1/8" of head, really nice lacing for the style. getting a funky jasmine-brett scent, cheese, hay, oak, lemons. the flavor is mostly lactic cheese-like up front, lots of lemony acid flavor as well, oak, a bitterness reminiscent of lemon rind. medium body with moderate carbonation.. a little bit more leaning towards a light body ale, but it would need more carbonation.

this is really really good for the style, which obviously i'd expect from cantillon. it's tart and has the acidic sourness i like, but not as much as some of their other beers. this is a very cheesy tasting beer, so i can't imagine this being good to those just starting out with sours/wild fermented ales.

07-22-2013 00:43:43 | More by facundoCNB