2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze) - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze)Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze)

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 09-13-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 638 | Reviews: 352 | Show All Ratings:
cracgor

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance: "Bottled in 2004"...drank today. Decanted without the yeast--the yeast made the beer taste bland when I tried it at the end.
Golden yellow. Very clear. Soda or champagne like fizz at the begnining that disappears quickly. No retention--but who wants that anyway.

Smell: a sour fruity smell. Very sweet. Still don't think lambics stink or smell like "funk/wet horse blanket"...

Taste: Very sour, very tart. Has a huge grapefruit flavor. A little lemon. Very good taste.

Mouthfeel: a full body. Robust, rich. Incredibly dry--very excellent.

Drinkability: A good beer. Different deinitely that. Could get used to the style though--would be great with meals or any time.

08-02-2005 18:40:35 | More by cracgor
ypsifly

3.3/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My first gueuze...

Capped, corked and black foiled 12.7oz poured into a stange.

Hazy apple juice with a small white head that falls to a ring of big bubbles. Lots of smaller bubbles cling inside the glass. Now that I think about it, this looks a lot like Vernor's Ginger Ale.

The nose is a nice balance of funk and citrus. Plums, something acrid (vomit?), the barn I bailed hay in when I was 16, green grapes and zest of lime. At first I didn't like it, but the more I sniff the more complex it gets.

Wow, is this tart! Like an extremely dry white wine, with some cider made from crab apples, and a touch of white vinegar. The apple notes slide in for the finish. I found the mouthfeel too watery, not something I would normally session to say the least.

A bit too much for me, but interesting enough that I will try other examples of this style.

08-01-2005 04:25:48 | More by ypsifly
eclectic

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

2003 vintage

Pours a magnificent golden-orange color with a slight haze. No head but some lacing is present... very little carbonation.. typical cantillon and gueuze aroma.. lacks some of the complexity of my favorite gueuzes, but still a fine example of the style. Goes down smooth and the only real complaint I have is the lack of carbonation.

07-14-2005 01:25:01 | More by eclectic
Andreji

Colombia

3.85/5  rDev -9.6%

Well, talk about being in France and drinking beer. this stuff felt like wine- not that there's anything wrong with that- more than beer or even fruit juice (who's to say wine's not exactly that).

The pour is cloudy straw colour, as if you were staring at the inside of an apple. the nose is a strong array of apples, grapes, and a sour twist similar to prunes.

The taste I thought was good until a certain point. very similar to white wine but much drier of course, it is abundantly fruity whilst not that sweet. the character turns to a strong astringency and sour feeling mixed a bit with spices, and the end sensation is very, very salty, as though replacing the bitterness of hops here absent with this. prolly why I didn't overrate the mouthfeel which I feel was a bit too strong and overwhelming for me.

still, a worthwhile purchase from a brilliant brasserie.

07-08-2005 01:48:20 | More by Andreji
yelterdow

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

2003 Edition, foiled and corked. Been saving this one for a while, so here 'goes.

Appearance- Murky golden color with a crisp white head, a full finger thick, reducing to a mat.

Smell- Wow, this is nuts. Rotting, fermenting, sour fruit that went way over the edge. Absolutely wild... think dumpster diving a fruit cart left abandoned at the zoo in the hot summer sun. It's so unique (and certainly not cheap)... I've had gueuze before but this is extreme.

Taste- A mouth-puckering sour funkiness, extremely dry in the finish. Lemon and tart grapefruit up front, musty old organic matter in the background.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Easy, pleasant body with medium carbonation. The main features of this enigma are of course the smell and taste, and I suggest beginning or ending a meal with one of these, split amongst friends.

06-27-2005 22:37:10 | More by yelterdow
Quaffer

Nevada

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

12.7 oz. bottle, capped and corked. Vintage 2004. Picked this up at Royal Liquor in KC. Not available here in Wichita.

Appearance: This brew was a lightly hazy, golden-amber color when held up to the light. Sitting on my dark desk, it had an orange glow to it. The fizzy white head rose up to a little more than a finger with a relatively rough pour and settled down quickly into a thin layer. This too was gone after awhile, leaving only a thin ring of bubbles around the circumference of the glass.

Smell: As the head was settling down right after the pour, this beer provided exactly what I was expecting. The aroma was thick with Brett, sweet manure, dity barn, and good old fashioned stank. Man, why is it that we love those qualities so much? After the head had settled, other, more subtle aromas began to emerge. A lot of old wood, apples, a light citrus bite, and a subdued spiciness. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, but it still had a lot of presence in the mouth. It was smooth upfront and developed a light carbonation in the back of the mouth. Dry on the finish and somewhat scratchy in the throat.

Taste: The first sip of this stuff always shocks my taste buds. An extremely acidic sourness that produced an involuntary head shake. Probably one of the tartest beers that I have ever had pass my lips. After my taste buds became acclimated, I began to detect the subtle flavors underneath. Dry, rotting, crumbling wood combined with bitter orange rind. I could "feel" the yeast in the back of my throat more that I could really taste it. There was a sour fruitiness that I couldn't quite put my finger on. A little bit of sweet apple lingered in the aftertaste to take a little edge of the sourness.

I love gueze and it is rare for me to snag a Cantillon. This is just good stuff. I would love to try a bottle with a few years age on it. I bet it would lose that scratchy feeling that lingered in the throat.

05-18-2005 23:21:21 | More by Quaffer
twelvsies

Maine

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

This new (bottled 2004, according to the cork) all organic version of Cantillon Gueuze pours a beautiful light orange color with a super thin head of tiny bubbles. Smell is fruity and zesty, full of citrus lemmon and a rotting smell. Taste is fabulous, and complex. The tart lemmon, sour apple flavor hits first, and is followed by mold and dust and the strangest finish and aftertaste I've ever experienced in a beer. Low to nonexistent hop profile, and mellow malts, not sweet in the least however. Great dry and airy mouthfeel. This beer just begs to be drank. I'm really getting a grasp of the style now, where as when I first tried it I was surprised and couldn't really think of it as a "beer." A superb gueuze and overall interesting a challenging beverage.

05-01-2005 02:10:17 | More by twelvsies
blitheringidiot

4.43/5  rDev +4%

Label on da bottle states: Organic gueuze oak aged & blended lambic of 1,2 and 3 year old lambics creating a 2nd fermentaion in the bottle. Jean Van Roy Master Brewer.

Slight chill hazed peach into a tulip. Next to zero bubbles topped by a thinkhaki skin that settles to nothing. No lace.

Aroma is a mouth watering floral dendelion prerequisite. Earthy airy & citrusy.

First swigs: Sweet metallic gueuze. Lemond rind. More Earthy but piquant & bitey. Like a roll of nickels. Bracing sides of the tongue suffer in bitter sour anguish and delight. {Pure grapefuit juice.} Dry aftertaste.

Thin feel, tight light sudsy carbonation, make me want to have more and more and more. Refreshing and palate cleansing.

Last swigs: Sour bitter Earthy sipper. Shear delight.

04-29-2005 07:41:57 | More by blitheringidiot
Billolick

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

smaller bottle, foil, cap and cork, cork states this one was bottled in 2004. Pours hazy/murky apricot in color. White head initially puffy, settles down to a thin tiny bubble film, leaves minor lacing. Nose is sharp, sour, and cleanserlike. This is a big, very sour brew, certaintly not for everybody. Lots of sour grapefuit and full on lemon flavor going on, pucker up! Fine sipper, still acquiring a taste for this unique variety of Belgian suds. Unless you love this stuff, I'd go for the varieties of Lambic, that add fruits, softens the experience and makes em more drinkable

04-28-2005 03:21:35 | More by Billolick
LuckySevens82

4.6/5  rDev +8%

33cl bottled in 2003

Pours a very slightly hazy golden color with a slight orange tinge. Head is white, small and quickly vanishing. Collar is just as white and sticks around for a bit.
Smell is citrus, vinegar, cork (in a good way), slightly funky yeast. Not much barnyard or horseblanket in this one, which is kind of nice as the smell of Gueuze kind of turns me off.
Taste is pretty darn good. Tart, oh so tart. Citrus, tastes like fresh squeezed orange juice sort of...well not really but it's a strong lemon and orange flavor. Musty sweetness follows the innitial cirtus twang.
Mouthfeel is good, coats the tongue, and finishes very very dry, which is nice.
A great example of the style, and the fact that it's organic makes it that much cooler.

Note: I figured for the beer that would bring me up to 250 Karma, I would review something from a style that I love, but of which I don't drink nearly enough

04-25-2005 02:11:20 | More by LuckySevens82
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

This was a nice find while in the Chicago burbs this weekend. It pours a yellowed golden color with a small ring of larg bubbles around the top. The nose is acidic, sour and tart. There are hints of lemon, but this is full of funkeyness. I'm excited to try it. The flavor is apparent even before swallowing the liquid. My mouth begins to pucker without much beer in there. Upon swallowing it, I get a big blast of acidity and citric sourness, not quite puckering, but pretty close. The big flavor moves quickly to a mellow lemoney slightly wheaty/grainey flavor. The feel is where I expect it, thin to moderate with a small carbonation. I really find this to be a nice example of a gueuze. There is no acidity left in my stomach as I drink it. The burps are not burning and the flavors left on the tongue are really mellow and nice. Another nice brew from Cantillon!

04-24-2005 17:00:18 | More by kmpitz2
Ego

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%

duck duck geuze (sorry, couldnt resist)

@ 12.99 for a bottle this aint cheap fizz, nice pop of the cork, immediately hit with that belgian yeasty/bready/honey thing... but I am getting ahead of myself..

this bottle has no bottled date but I trust my beer guy and he told me it is a fresh case right from belgium.

appearance:
straw lemonade suspension, one full finger of head dissipating, no carbonation bubbles seen in the murk, the color, although murky looking, is incredibly consistent glass to glass, knowing all that goes into this style that amazes me.

nose:
the standard farm belgian nose, like dough witha touch of honey or even summer flowers and behind it lies a flow of lemon tartness.. makes the mouth water, I close my eyes and imagine a fruit hybrid made from pears, apples and lemons, where you get the sweetness of pear apple on a bite then the finish is the tart refreshment of lemon sorbet.. wonderfully balanced nose.

taste:
the lemony flavor is up front (not as heavy duty as cantillon's other lambics). the medium body almost is hidden because of the tart refreshing finish. the carbonation is just enough to keep this afloat in the mouth, like the nose, this is balanced as well. I also detect a little salinity in the finish matching the tart ness, which gives way to subtle apple/pear tones.

drinkability?
well, if you like geuze dial this one up, this is a very drinkable brew, there are no distractions of too much fruit etc, you really get the raw lemon feel of the style. for me this is nearly as good as it gets.. awesome brew.

04-09-2005 02:29:05 | More by Ego
twilight

Germany

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Ah, another beautiful Cantillon product. It was mid-afternoon at the kitchen table and there was a brightness because of the snow outside, but a lingering cloudiness. But the beer... It poured golden like straw, like liquid gold, like something you just look at and want to worship. Unfortunately, there was no head to speak of and very little carbonation. The bottlecap didn't pssshhht, nor did the cork pop out like it was under pressure. So it goes.

Your standard sourness, some fruit, and light vinegarish aromas compose the nose. The taste is a tart sourness, but somehow it spreads around your tongue, wrapping it in the flavor. It is by no means mouth-puckering, but just good and sour. A little grape (without the skins or the sweetness) lingers as well as some apricot or peach, but without the acidity or sweetness. Just hints of fruits there. Just hints.

Without carbonation it tastes okay, smooth, but it feels as though something is missing. Drinkability is good, but I had to split a small bottle between two sessions because of the acidity.

A yummy one, and I look forward to sampling this and other Cantillon products in the future.

02-21-2005 23:11:03 | More by twilight
cerevisiaephilus

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Bottled in 2003

Nice looking beer. Beautiful pale straw color with decent but not serious carbonation. Head is quite white. Would prefer a bit more prolific gas.

Big nose. Big Brett and big sour apple. Very nice. Get some of the nasties in there too. What I take to be the enterics. They are really harsh.

It really isn't very harsh which is nice. Quite soft and approachable. Doesn't linger in my mouth and make my cheeks hurt as bad as Hanssens. Still get the big sourness in the front. Really tart. Touch of Brett in the mid palate. Really nice very dry finish as the tart funk fades slowly away into a kind of almost cheesy dry finish then to nothing. That touch of kind of cheesiness in the finish really bugs me.

Mouthfeel is right on for a Gueuze.

Pretty drinkable for a Gueuze. Except for that cheesiness its would be quite drinkable.

02-10-2005 23:42:10 | More by cerevisiaephilus
ngandhi

Certainly one of Cantillon's softer beers, the Organic Gueuze is pretty straightforward with predominant flavors of lime zest, orange, and lots of fresh leafy herbs like parsley and sage.

Not paricularly musty, but spritzy on the nose -- getting denser and more mouth-watering with some time in the glass.

The finish is strange, very drying with good salinity, but also leaving some dead weight in the middle of the tongue.

Though not entirely complex, this is very characteristic of gueuze and done with impeccable refinement. Not as fruity as Lindeman's Cuvee Renee, as bright as Girardin, or as tart and crisp as Hanssens, but still one well at home in the canon of Belgian beer.

Relax, relax.
ng

02-01-2005 19:56:53 | More by ngandhi
Bighuge

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

This golden brew shows a slight haze. The head is bubbly and white. Retention is better than average. Lacing, adequate. On the nose, I find light notes of vinegar, wet horse blanket, apple cider and cellar mustiness. Pretty clean though. Aroma is nice, but not quite as sharp as other Cantillon offerings. The sour pucker factor seems to be knocked down a notch in this sample (compared to others from Cantillon). I don't find myself wincing as much. There are some definite green apple and pear tones. Quite acidic. Like a dilute solution of vinegar. Tart finish. A stale, mustiness. Funky farmyard yeast tones. Another classic lambic from Cantillon. Thirst quenching, dry and flavorful.

01-03-2005 06:34:46 | More by Bighuge
Dukeofearl

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

I purchased this 750 ml beauty on my "it's all about the beer" trip to Belgium in 2004, along with a proper Cantillon Gueuze tumbler, so I was all set to "do it right". I have tried several gueuzes by this point, I have tried this one a couple of times in Brussels, but I know I am still learning a lot about this beer.

Pours a medium cloudy gold with a big white fluffy head that drops down after a few minutes. A very pretty beer, even to those who don't know what's coming!

Aroma is intense sour, prickly spicy and sharp.

Flavor is dry, very dry, oh-my-god dry, tart, with intense cider-like qualities (except the sweetness of cider- nothing like those qualities!) Funky, sour, sour fruits. Grapefruit. I actually think this tastes better in large swallows than gentle sips.

Mouthfeel: A swallow leaves a harshness in the throat like unsweetened grapefruit juice.

Overall- My first take on this beer form was rough- I am definitely learning and growing- this is a wonderful step. I still prefer Hanssen's, but this is very good too!.

12-24-2004 19:07:24 | More by Dukeofearl
truthbrew

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

[3-20-2004] Hand carried back from Brussels last summer. Feeling generous, I poured this beer for a novice crowd at a beer tasting, most had only enjoyed a lambic of the Lindemann's variety. About 50% of the people thought it was great, the other 50% were obviously struggling.

Of course I enjoyed first! Served at approx 55 degrees. Less carbonated than I had expected along with being a bit fuller bodied, though the warmer temps could have played a factor. Many gueuzes I've previously enjoyed had a lighter, prickly feel to them, where this was more smooth sour. The taste was excellent, bringing back a flood of memories on drinking good lambics. Once again an excellent Cantillon offering.

My label is quite different than the Mannekin Pis label found on this site. It reflects a mash tun sitting in a grassy Belgian field.

[12-23-04] EDIT: Just purchased 12 bottles of this, so cracked one tonight, 2003 date on cork. Once again I notice a smoother, but deep sourness than the gueuze offerings from Oud Beersel, Drie Fonteinen, or Hannsens which tend to be more of a prickly acidic assertive sourness. The deep, fuller mouthfeel made a bit more of a lasting impression on me now. A really excellent beer by perhaps my favorite brewery.

12-24-2004 03:36:13 | More by truthbrew
tatterdash

Ontario (Canada)

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

I am told Cantillon makes rather severe versions of Lambics, and this is certainly no exception. I definitely intend to try many other Lambics and then come back to this. Pours a golden yellow with a fizzy white head that disappears fairly quickly. Smell was the strongest wild yeasts I have ever smelled, very sour and funky smelling. Taste is tart/sour something, it fact, I found it so sour I couldn't really taste much else. Mouthfeel was tart and almost dried out my mouth from the puckering. If this is what a Gueuze tastes like, it is one of those rare things that taste exactly like it sounds, the others being yogurt, goulash, and squid. It's also very expensive, which makes it a little difficult in the drinkability department.

12-17-2004 00:50:21 | More by tatterdash
marburg

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Brand-spanking-new 2004 bottling with the grain artwork on the label. Pours a vibrant but hazed shade of golden straw with a decent sized white head.

Looking beyond the intense and noxious, vomitous acidic fumes, there's a strong lemon zest component and some sour green apple. Mixed together, it gives a vague impression of ground mustard seeds.

Acidic with some restrained funk, this is no hippie alternative to gueuze. Some orange peel creeps in under the radar, and there's an earthier, woodier component than I recall in some other lambics, even gueuzes and even from Cantillon. Top notch.

12-16-2004 06:04:59 | More by marburg
soper2000

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

I will say that I was more than enamored with the non-organic version of this beer, so my expectations are kind of high.

Cork has a bottled in 2003 on it. Label is still the Manekin-pis (spelling?), not the newer artwork. Pours a crisp golden with a small white head that has more retention than I remember the older Cantillon Gueuze having. Smell is still wonderful. Huge aromas of brett funk and some tartness slips in between notes of wheat. Flavor starts off extremely tart. Mouthpuckering tart. I believe this is more sour than the older vintages. Still has some funky flavor but again, not as much as the previous gueuze that I had the pleasure of trying. Mouthfeel is still great and this will leave you licking your lips. I'm laying a bottle down for a year, hopefully it'll end up balancing itself out nicely approaching perfection as it's amazing already.

09-30-2004 00:51:20 | More by soper2000
Naerhu

Japan

2.13/5  rDev -50%

No head. hefeweizen-looking, only less opaque.

Smells like something fermenting in the bucket I left in my sisters garden.

Oddly bitter and sour. Tastes like I would imagine fermented grains to taste had I never tasted beer before. Kinda sweet, kinda extremely sour.

I would have rated this beer higher, but then I tried to imagine what piss might taste like, and all that would come to mind is the taste of this beer I had just consumed. Therefore, I consider my score for this beer, quite charitable.

07-18-2004 11:58:53 | More by Naerhu
scottum

Vermont

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Bought this one at Cantillon, sampling this one in Vermont.

Pours an orange amber with a small bright white head which fades away. Tart with a touch of sour just like any Cantillon, but this one has a smoother bite than many of their other gueuze brews. Exceptionally drinkable for a lambic lover. By far the highest quality organic brew I've yet to sample in my short life. Thank you Cantillon! Please export more beer!

07-05-2004 22:34:07 | More by scottum
Popsinc

Ontario (Canada)

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

A slightly cloudy orange pour with almost no head at all. The nose is summer-like and fresh. Big hints of lemon-lime and a grassy, straw like scent in the background.

The taste is extremely tart right up front. The bitterness moves from the tip of my tongue straight to the back of my mouth where sour notes take over highlighted by lemon, lime and a drop of vinegar. The finish is long as the tartness has great staying power.

The mouthfeel is quite fresh and alive with acidity. Smoothes out towards the finish.

I'm a big Gueze fan as it stands anyway so for me the drinkability on this is very good. A nice start to the day or even a thirst quencher in warm weather. You can't beat a top notch gueze.

05-26-2004 19:26:58 | More by Popsinc
tjd25

France

3.45/5  rDev -19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a wonderful golden color. Although some bubbles appear at first, the beer is almost still. The smell wasn’t sour, I found it more similar to Belgian strong pale ales.

The taste is obviously very sour, with tart, but in a nice and balanced way. I found the taste somehow similar to grapefruit. The sourness isn’t negative here but rather interesting. The mouthfeel was kind of foamy first and then more about tart.

03-14-2004 23:10:17 | More by tjd25