Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze) - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze)Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze)

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 09-13-2003)
Paisan

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Picture this:
You're standing in the door of a threshing barn, looking out over an orchard with apples, lemons and oranges.
The setting sun pours an amber haze over everything. You close your eyes and feel the sun's warmth on your face, and the smells of the fruit - sweet and sour, almost stinging -, and barn - wood, somewhat mouldy, different cereals, dust, undefinable funk - swirl and mingle.
And you feel like you'd want to stay there forever.

That's Cantillon geuze: amber to golden colour, your expected barnyard funky smell, and a very sour bite to it, just enough alcohol to warm you without burning. It's a geuze, and i happen to love those, and this one is quite exceptional.
The ONLY pure and natural geuze: no addition of any yeasts, the wort is inoculated with wild yeast spores in the air.
The original beer, in every sense.

04-23-2010 10:57:53 | More by Paisan
Mora2000

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks to Peter for sharing this beer.

2004 vinrage. The beer pours a clear yellow color with a white head. The aroma is funk, brett, lemon and tartness. The flavor is tart with some lemon and brett funk. The beer is very dry and really gets the salivary glands going. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

04-19-2010 05:25:55 | More by Mora2000
ShadesOfGray

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

2007 Vintage. Poured from a 375ml corked and capped green bottle with the yellow label(man leaning back on a chair drinking). Pours a golden pale color that finishes in the glass a hazy bright gold. Very little head but fizzy and white...and dissapates pretty quick. Leaves quick sliding fizzy white lacing.

Aroma is funky, full of oak, lemon-citrus like. Tons of crisp and clean farmhouse funk in the nose. Very excited to drink this!

Not a recomended beer to start drinking at fridge temp. Flavors are masked by the shock to the palate. As it warms, a wonderful funk and tartness really bites your tongue. Tons of citrus, carbonation tingle, oaky notes, and wow...what a puckering tartness! Cantillon really knows how to make a great gueuze! Crisp, light, clean mouthfeel. Simply great!

04-17-2010 01:50:19 | More by ShadesOfGray
alfrantzell

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

On tap at Moeder Lambic. Strange, being able to get gueuze on draft. Stranger still that it tastes cleaner, crisper, and less funky.

Maybe it's the temperature. I warm the glass in my hand and revisit it. The oaken horseblanket still takes a backseat to the sourness. It's refreshing. Not quite as smooth as Cuvee Saint-Gilloise, but along those lines.

Another masterful liquid from Cantillon.

04-16-2010 08:31:43 | More by alfrantzell
rarbring

Sweden

4.43/5  rDev +4%

The brew is golden, clear, with a white head that leaves some lacing.

The smell is sour, lemon and sour milk, some earthy aromas, stable.

The taste is very crisp, sour, sour cream with complex earthy notes.

Rather high carbonation, a refreshing feeling.

A very moderated gueuze, clean and very typical.

04-12-2010 20:09:43 | More by rarbring
oglmcdgl

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

750 bottled in 09 split with the old lady after a great meal of tapas.

A- golden yellow hay in color. Perfectly clear and it just shines like the sun. Nice finger or two of head builds and quickly settles to a simple ring of foam around the glass.

S- funky oak and juicy lemon bursting out with an in your face punch. Horse blanket and wet hay all the right stuff.

T- bliss in a bottle. Sour and tart with a full oaky dryness. Lots of myer lemon zest and a bit or super tart granny smith apple. Touches of medicinal band aid mixed in with the very new funkyness. I keep coming back to the wood its so present and bold but by no means out shines the sour. A mild vegitative grassy flavor as it warms as well as a buiscuty hint.

M- modestly carbed with very small tingley bubbles that add a lot to the joy of this brew. Thin body. Mild linger and dry finish.

D- very nice I might say. Yes it sour and yes its full of bugs but I find it very drinkable for the style. I wish I could have waited longer to crack it this was brought back from belgium for me.

03-31-2010 02:23:58 | More by oglmcdgl
jdklks

Nevada

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

This is a very good beer. I've had it three times now, and it simply gets better every time. The appearance is a darker-golden-almost-amber color with a lively white head and tiny bubbles constantly making their way up through the body to the surface. The smell is super citrus, with lemon and lime, orange, a hint of grapefruit (minus the bitterness), and a little belgian yeast.

The flavor is great all around. lemon-grass, orange, lime, grapefruit (again, minus the bitterness). Very tart and very sour. Super refreshing in its high carbonation and light mouthfeel, and great drinkability. Highly recommended.

03-26-2010 00:17:07 | More by jdklks
eat

Quebec (Canada)

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

A small corked bottle at the beerbistro in Toronto. I've never seen Cantillon available anywhere else I've been in Canada, nor any other authentic Lambic for that matter. Had to try it. I should put a disclaimer on this review stating that this was my first real sour and thus I have no idea how to review it to style, which I'm sure is incredibly important with beers of this style. You need to start somewhere...I figured this was a good starting point.

Pours with an initial cover of bright-white head, fading to a patchy lace across the top and ring around the glass. Looks pretty much like apple juice, to be honest. Very clear and bright apple-juice gold in colour.

The smell is quite vinous. Lots of red wine, sourness (vinegary), musty, dust, sour cherry. Very complex but mostly coming off as sour. Really interesting. I don't really know what to make of it though, it's so different from what I'm used to.

I've never tasted a beverage like this. Very sour and tart with a dusty dryness. Like a cross between a nice white wine and a lager with some vinegar poured into it. Tart green apples and sour cherries, funky, musty, dust, almost no sweetness. No typical 'beer yeast' character to be found. There are some hops, but they're mostly lost under the extreme sourness. Again, really cool but I don't know what to make of it.

Fairly thin body with a low carbonation.

I'm glad I tried this but am finding it quite difficult to drink. Much too sour and vinegary, which I'm sure it's supposed to be. I just can't deal with it yet. Lambic seems to be an acquired taste I have not yet acquired. I'll come back to this one once I've got a better handle on the style.

03-23-2010 06:54:40 | More by eat
SkeeterHawk

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

I picked this beer up at Knightly Spirits while there on "business" in Florida. I intended to drink this beer in my hotel room, but I ad a few while taking in the sights and never got around to it because my palate was shot at that point. I couldn't leave it homeless, so I made a space for it and brought it home with me. I don't want it to feel neglected now, so I am reviewing it while it is still fresh.

Appearance: Pours a somewhat cloudy yellow orange color with a thick head of fluffy white bubbles on top that was about 1/4" thick at its crest and was at least half its size more than a minute after the pour. Even a few minutes after the pour, there is a solid layer of foam on top of the beer and you can see that there are a bunch of bubbles rising to maintain the head. There is some sporadic lacing left on the glass after drinking the beer, but it actually creeps back down the glass in the beer between sips.

Aroma: The beer is has a defined sour aroma that is mixing well with the malt that is there. The sour at this time when the beer is cold is coming across like a lemongrass to me with some sweet toasty malt in the background. You can pick up some of the other funkiness in this beer as well, but it is really clean right now. As it warms up some, it really only gets a little more earthy and still remains clean and aromatic.

Taste: The flavor and overall mouthfeel are excellent with this beer. Wow, it has a host of wild flavors so much that it hits your palate a bit like a sweet-tart, but this quickly gives way to some serious malt complexity and fizziness from the high carbonation. I am really surprised at how they are able to get this much malt presence in a beer that is this wild. I am anxious to keep tasting it as it warms. As I am about 1/3 the way through this beer, my palate is getting used to it and the acidity is starting to come out and linger on the back of the throat for a while after the sip.

Opinion: I really like this style of beer, and this is a very nice example of it. I like the malt balance, as I have stated, as most Gueuze are pretty thin bodied overall. This one comes across with a bit more backbone than other examples. I would certainly drink this beer again, and wouldn't mind buying a few more...especially if it was readily available. As it is, I will probably drink a bottle or two if I find it when I am traveling and bring back something else if I have room.

03-11-2010 01:39:04 | More by SkeeterHawk
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured into Lost Abbey tulip.

Pours a light white head that fades down fast. Color is a lightly hazed bright golden orange.

Aroma: Lots of sour and funk here. A nice amount of horse blanket. Sour peaches and cherries. A nice amount of fruit and oak. My mouth is watering. Muskmelon in the background.

Taste: Very sour, but kind of musky. A lot of oak flavors that blend well with the sour notes. I get a lot of peaches and cherries here. Some barnyard horse blanket here. Very tart with bright fruit flavors. I really like it.

Mouthfeel: Sour but a nice layer of tartness it there. A light to medium bodied bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. Ends dry and sour with some light oak flavors.

Overall, this is a solid sour. It drinks very easy and I definitely want more. A little expensive, but worth it. I wish I could drink this more often. I recommend this one.

03-02-2010 07:37:53 | More by mothman
gyllstromk

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

One of my favorite gueuzes, truly a pleasure whenever I open a bottle. Poured this one into my Cantillon tulip. Pours a pretty amber with a half inch head. Clearer than most gueuzes. Nose is lemon and tangerines, a wine aroma not unlike a dry white like pinot grigio, tangerines, and earthy brett aromas. Taste is lots of fruit, including more lemon and orange citrus, pineapple, melon, and granny smith apple. One of the more acidic geuezes (a quality I quite enjoy). A beautiful beer!

02-28-2010 17:48:42 | More by gyllstromk
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

750ml bottle, nice beer-peeing statue parody depiction on the label - the actual statue being one of my few memories of visiting rainy Brussels lo those many years ago as a plucky teenager.

This beer pours a hazy medium golden hue, with a singular finger's worth of low-lying cap of foamy and wispy (at the same time) off-white head, which leaves a weak, low-lying berm of ebbing lace in its relatively quick skip into oblivion.

It smells of earthy funk, plain mustard, sour lemon, sugar-free white grapes, sodden inert wood, and some dry, hay-like hops. The taste is palate-pounding sour lemon rind, acetic mustard vinegar, dry yeast, long-forgotten field hay, wooded barrel mustiness, fruity apples with a certain deathly nature, a lingering earthy funkiness, and some late to the game pale graininess.

The carbonation is lightly peppy, the body medium-light in weight, a tad thin, really, and somewhat oily in its plebeian smoothness. It finishes with more tart orchard fruit, lingering dry yeast, and a played-out pale graininess.

While not exactly providing the same heady tartness wallop as this particular brewer's fruit-forward (hah!) lambic brethren, the puckering quality still looms large, amongst a sharp orchard fruitiness, with a dusty, musty yeastiness, so-called pale malty 'sweetness', and weakly perceptible drying hop notes. Great stuff, but it takes a certain mood to accompany such complexity.

02-05-2010 22:25:27 | More by biboergosum
ThreeWiseMen

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

Sampled this at the central coast BA gathering last night.

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Fizzy, white head pops up from a very cloudy, yellow-orange body. Head quickly decays to a loose halo, and stays that way for the rest of the session. No lacing.

Smell: Lemon, Brett, leafy hops, and banana. Smells very, very tart. I'm new to geuezes, so my analysis of this beer might be pretty weak. I like this aroma though - strong and tart.

Taste: Strong Brett, lemon, and green grapes. Not at all vinegary and very tart.

Mouthfeel: Lightly carbonated, a touch creamy, and light-bodied. Finishes very tart and dry.

Drinkability: Pretty easy but also interesting. I'd be happy to try another beer like this.

01-25-2010 00:49:43 | More by ThreeWiseMen
sisuspeed

New Hampshire

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

2008 Bottling

Thanks to sleepydave for bringing this one over. Poured into a snifter. The body is a vibrant, hazy, honey-apricot color with a thin ring of white suds around the edges of the glass.

Swirling the snifter brings up an aroma of apples, pears, citrus and a bit of alcohol funk. Fruits are mixed with the smell of country air and farm yard.

Tipping the glass back reveals a white grape, fruity, vinous flavor that suddenly becomes tart and mouth puckering. This is my first gueuze and it is definitely more sour than I was expecting, but I'm liking it. Further tasting brings out apple and apricot notes that seem a bit grassy. Flavor remains nice and tart.

The body is light and refreshing, yet full of flavor. Spritzy, almost champagne like in mouthfeel and carbonation. A couple of years in the bottle has made this a lively beer.

Drinkability is good. I keep reaching back for my glass, even with a somewhat puckered expression on my face. Low ABV means you could enjoy the entire bottle if you wanted too.

Overall, I was very impressed with this beer. It was my first gueuze and one of the few sours I've ever had. Flavor was robust and interesting and the tartness was definitely there. I think I might be hooked sours. I'll have to look for a few more Cantillon offerings next time I'm at a store with a good Belgian selection.

01-24-2010 03:01:41 | More by sisuspeed
soulgrowl

United Kingdom (England)

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

Hazed sunflower-gold with a thin but consistent white head. Sour and wild aroma, with sourdough bread, a bit of hay or grass, barnyard, elderflower, and an endless tangent of fruit that ranges from pineapple to lemon to dry perry. There is just a touch of vanilla and oak as well. Powerfully sour on the palate, but beyond that I think it is disappointingly thin. Sour apple, underripe mango, rice vinegar, grass, and a twang of yeasty funk ride coast along on perky carbonation. Hints of oak and glue crop up as well, and the bone-dry finish is all lemon rind. A very nice beer, quite refreshing with just the right amount of funk.

01-23-2010 18:18:40 | More by soulgrowl
Mavajo

Georgia

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a golden color with a two finger thick white head that recedes very quickly - at first it settles into a nice layer across the top (about half a finger thick), but then a little while later fades into some whisps. No lacing.

This aroma is big and funky - apparently this the infamous "horse blanket" that I've heard so much about...also picked up some notes of sourness/yeast.

If the aroma is strong, the taste is a total kick in the taste buds. In a word: brilliant. Sour first and foremost, with notes of apple and yeast? It's amazing - this thing is so sour, yet so phenomenally delicious, too. As I sit here and reminisce about it, my mouth is literally watering. This brew is great stimulus for the sides and back of your tongue. It's simply tantalizing. One of the most delicious beers I've ever tasted.

Mouthfeel is thin, smooth and appropriately carbonated. Nothing distracting here. The drinkability is great - pretty much depends on your sour tolerance.

This brew was just absolutely phenomenal. It was a revolutionary experience to me - every bit as powerful as my first few sips of craft brew were. Completely perspective-changing experience.

01-21-2010 18:05:29 | More by Mavajo
KeefD

3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

Bottle with the man in tipping chair silhouette, courtesy of Gibby32 (Thanks Mike!). Bottled in 2008. Light pop of the cork, pours a pale orange golden color with no head or lacing. Carbonation looks light. Nice funk in the nose, brett-tastic, notes of lemon rind, wet hay, and lightly acidic. Taste is right on with the nose. Mild cheesy funk in the front, followed by a crisp, acidic citrus flavor, mildly tart and sour, keeping this nice and drinkable. Funk really starts to come out with warmth and the sour and tartness begins to take a back seat. Gueuze's are supposed to be a more acidic lambic, but I've had much more sour lambics than this. Could use a little more carbonation in my opinion, as it's nearly flat giving it a very light body and slightly less than refreshing. Not bad, but I still think Gueuze's are not my favorite styles.

01-17-2010 18:56:17 | More by KeefD
srandycarter

3.75/5  rDev -12%

A - Murky light honey, very little near white head, leaves to disk fast, some cling bubbly lace.

S - Acidic, barny, sharp and not altogether pleasant.

T - Acrid, twangy, citrus, sharp, barny.

M - Light bodied, light coating, good carb.

D - Not my favorite, even of the sours.

01-13-2010 04:06:01 | More by srandycarter
Fladder

3.45/5  rDev -19%

Appearance - Mild carbonation, no head formation. Light gold, very slightly cloudy.

Smell - Heavy, dark grape tones. Grapefruit as well.

Taste - The beer had a well rounded acidity, which doesn't carry well to the finish giving a slightly off-puting aftertaste. Gives a nice sting on the front of the tongue. There were prominant grapefruit tones which follows through to the finish. Oak flavors are present with a very slight hint of vanilla. There was a hint of cheese flavor, especially in the aftertaste.

Moutfeel - Slightly dry, but only slightly. The beer fealt a bit too heavy and could have been a little drier. Still, it was pretty good.

Overall I wasn't too impressed, but I wasn't put off either.

01-10-2010 20:42:57 | More by Fladder
womencantsail

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

A: A 750 ml bottle with a bottling date of 2008 shared with the girlfriend. A pour into my Bruery tulip is a burnt orange color with very little head and quite a bit of bubbles.

S: Now this is a funky beverage. A ton of Brett character with a tinge of lactic sourness and oak.

T: As funky as the nose is, that's how sour it is on the tongue. There is a lot of lactic tartness and it's very acidic. There's a bit of lemon flavor and a lot of Brett. On the finish is a fair bit of oak.

M: Surprisingly this is not all that bubbly. I'm used to Gueuze being a very bubbly beverage, but I suppose that could be due to a short maturation period (ie. my fault).

D: This is a very, very acidic beer. As a result, it's tough to drink a lot of. However, it does taste very good, so it's also something you want to drink lots of. A strange dichotomy indeed.

01-06-2010 05:57:15 | More by womencantsail
MrDanno96

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%

A: Pours a murky golden color with very little head and lacing.

S: Lots of Belgian funk and yeast - smells very "sour" if that's possible. Hints of oak are also detectable.

T: OMG sour! This bad boy grabs your tongue and tries to rip it right out of your mouth. Hints of oak and white grapes are also apparent, but overall the flavor is dominated by the sour. I was hoping for a little more complexity from this.

M: Fairly light bodied with a fair amount of carbonation and a dry finish, like champagne.

D: Meh, I bought this to drink at midnight on new years eve and was pretty disappointed overall. I was expecting a little more from the Cantillon name, but it wasn't awful. This needs a little more balance between the sour and other flavors.

01-01-2010 06:22:52 | More by MrDanno96
crossovert

3.75/5  rDev -12%

2008 Vintage, Green bottle with yellow label. "Classic Gueuze".

A careful pour into my Duvel glass produces a bright orange/amber/peach colored beer with a firm white head that dissipates rather quickly, with not much lacing.

The smell is bright and sour with hints of citrus, pear, apple peel, and some funk as well.

I almost coughed after the first huge quaff of this, something in here is really sinus clearing. It has a nice tart fruit tang, with some shock tart acid as well, though it isn't overly sour like some beers. It has a good subtle sweetness to balance out the sourness and a decent mouthfeel, if a tad bit watery. Hints of pale malt, green apple, and yeast come out in the aftertaste.

The object of a Gueuze shouldn't be making something unbearably sour, and this one isn't, it is almost a perfect gueuze, up there with Lindeman's though it lacks the smell and the mouthfeel Lindeman's had. It is also like 3 dollars more expensive than Lindeman's.

12-29-2009 23:38:31 | More by crossovert
gueuzeonhigh

Maine

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a hazy straw.
Short lived tight knit head that as quickly as it appeared receded from whence it came leaving a diminutive ring around the perimeter of my glass.

A scant nose but flowers and yeast come to mind with a smattering of the rising springtime sun..

The flavor is a delicate combination of yeast, orange citrus, white grapes all wrapped up with the ribbon of bitter hops.

The finish ends with delicate notes of lemon intertwined with hops and yeast.

Mouthfeel is so closely tied with the finish, produces a clean lip smacking bitterness.

Drinkability mainly because of the 5% ABV is superior I can easily enjoy the entire 1pt 6 oz bottle w/o being soused. And besides I'm just getting started!

I fault this gueuze because I wish for more of a prelude to the flavor in the nose and I wish the head would have put on more of a show.

12-26-2009 00:46:09 | More by gueuzeonhigh
darklordlager

Wisconsin

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Capped and Corked. Pours a cloudy sunset peach, with a lively multitude of odd shaped bubbles that dissipate within a few minutes.

Smell-Makes you feel like you're right out on the farm. Acidic sourness, though not off-putting. Woody, earthy, wheat, some grape character. A slight apple/pear fruitiness underlies it all.

Taste--Funky. Blunt sourness is immediately evident, moving along into some oaked winey flavour. Warm orange juice. "Previously chewed up hay, mixed with dirt and grass" was the opinion of my fellow taster. "Sour icky old stuff" and "musty water" were some other (normally) macro-drinkers' opinions. It begins with the blast of sourness similar to a flanders red/oud brouin, moves into a oaky chardonnay, then finishes up with a wheaty sour pucker. Tobacco wrapper. Most of the flavour components remind me more of a wine than beer.

Mouthfeel medium-high carbonation, that coats the tongue. As the carbonation dies a bit, it seems very much like a wine.

Drinkability: Tasted side-by-side with NB La Folie, and has more drinkability than that, probably due to the range and complexity of flavour.

11-22-2009 05:00:03 | More by darklordlager
dirtylou

Washington

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

375ml bottle, Riley's

appearance: poured into my de koninck chalice - active carbonation, light orange body - mostly clear, foamy beige rush with almost no retention

smell: tart white grape, funky as expected from cantillon, white wine vinegar

taste: classic gueuze sour - vinegary, tart, sour grape, hay, oak.

mouthfeel: sour, tongue turning, palate commanding

drinkability: good