Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze) - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze)Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze)

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 09-13-2003

Bottle

Thanks for opening this, cavery!

A bright, dark orange and a thin white head. Highly carbonated. Looks thin, with a myriad of little bubbles racing their way to the top of the glass.

A spicy, musty, funky aroma, consisting of bright fruit, lemon and apple, tangy Brett yeast, hay and grass, and lots of barnyard funk. Pretty awesome. Seems comforting, inviting, and welcoming.

The flavor is similar to the aroma, but perhaps a bit more bright with fruit--lemon, apple, and pear. The tart funk and sourness is huge here as well, though balances exceptionally well with the sweet, fruity flavors. Tremendous!

Light, bubbly, airy mouthfeel--an absolute pleasure.

A definitive version of the style. A classic. Just about perfect.

A: Very fizzy white head that dissipates immediately, leaving behind only the hazy, golden honey brew.

S: Musty (I know a lot of people here prefer the term "funky", but I've always found that gueuzes smell like damp cellars, which I'm perfectly okay with), accentuated by a strong but smooth tannic aroma. A mild floral scent is also noticeable.

T: Clean, crisp tartness shines the most here, without being overpowering in the least. The sourness releases its grip a bit in the middle as an oaky, almost chalk-like dryness kicks in on the finish and lingers till the next sip. Relatively minimal tannic flavor otherwise.

M: The wood aging gives the beer a nice full body, while the spontaneous fermentation lends a somewhat effervescent carbonation that perfectly suits it. Slightly astringent, especially on the finish, and dry, though not as much as some other gueuzes I've had (Girardin 1882 white label).

O: I'm a big gueuze fan, but this one was kind of lacking in "oomph" for me. It's a good beer, don't get me wrong, but the taste is relatively one-dimensional. Maybe I'm just spoiled from all the Fou'Foune I've been drinking lately, or my unabashed love for the Tilquin I tried last week, but I was just hoping for a little bit more from this one.

4.39/5  rDev +2.8%

Here goes my very first gueuze..

Appearance: interesting combination of cork and bottle cap.. this beer pours an electroluminescent orange color with a very thin white head.

Smell: one hundred percent bio has a very funky and strong aroma; I actually found it to be quite staggering.. probably because I'm not yet acquainted with the style. A lot of barnyard funk and mustiness.

Taste: wow this beer is sour! There's an immediate blast of mouth puckering sourness that sweeps the palate.. very tart and highly acidic fruit flavors.

Mouthfeel: the acidity in the taste definitely carries over into the mouthfeel; sharp carbonation.

Overall: this is one dynamic beer.. I definitely need to try more Cantillon!

3.5/5  rDev -18%

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%

750ml bottle featuring the Mannequin Pis, purchased from Slowbeer in Melbourne.

Pours a gorgeously bright golden colour, with a slight haze which just obscures the light, but refracts it pleasantly, as well. Head is extremely fine, but not particularly persistent, just forming a ring around the edge of the glass. Carbonation is refined and tiny. It's a very good looking beer.

Nose is pleasantly bright and gueuzey, with burnt rubber characters, woody oak notes, and classic biting acidity, although this is toned down a lot more than in many riproaringly intense gueuzes. It feels really pleasantly integrated, and smooth, however.

Taste is also a lot milder than many a gueuze, with a refreshing bite, but not the tongue-slicing acidity. Smooth entry, surprisingly under-carbonated, before some green vegetative sharpness comes through. Some tartness on the back, tempered by a slight residual sweetness, that fortunately never becomes too prominent. Rather, it's like a touch of vanilla or a mild roundness to the palate. Rather pleasant.

Probably one of the most refreshing and drinkable gueuzes I've had, even if it's not as complex and challenging as some of the best ones I've had. Still, it's a great example of the style, and probably one of the most approachable for a Gueuze newbie.

4.44/5  rDev +4%

Very excited to try my first Cantillon tonight. This is also the first gueuze beer I've ever had. Poured out of a 370.5ml bottle into a tulip glass. Beer was bottled on 3 December, 2010, and a description on the back of the bottle describes that it can be cellared until 2030.

It pours a very orange color with champagne-like appearance, despite the fact that it has hardly any head to speak of despite notable carbonation present around the glass. Definitely doesn't look like any beer I've ever hard, that's for sure - except for maybe some double IPAs.

As for the aroma? Holy crap! I could immediately smell a funky, sour smell to it upon popping the bottle open. The funkiness is so intense that I can smell it a foot away from me. This is a sign that the bacteria have truly done their duty here to provide a full-fledged lambic experience. Getting past the sourness, there are loads of tart goodness in here, fruity esters reminiscent of apricots, peaches and white grapes but really coated with a sourness (and hell, even a SALTY bite) that I only find in citrus. I have never smelled anything quite like this before. I have no idea how to describe the funkiness of this beer, but I'm to go right ahead and try it and see how it compares.

The sourness, for sure, reveals its intense flavor immediately. THIS is what sour ales should absolutely taste like. I have no idea how to describe this thing. There are no exact fruits I can make out, but it's definitely citrusy. It’s very dry yet bubbly in the same manner that champagne is. It starts out smooth and malty and ends in a extreme dry-hopped bitter end. Quite a fascinating beer to drink and I would bet that there's nothing that really tastes exactly like it on this planet.

I intended to go in and write a really long review for this beer, but it ultimately speaks (or, ahem, *drinks*) for itself. I can't say for sure if I love gueuze beers just yet, but it's undeniable that there is nothing quite like them. There's a combination of mixing the aged and new lambic blends that give it a mixed reaction of being an complex, old beer that still feels fresh and wholly flavorful. Extremely authentic for what it is, but pretty intimidating as well. There's something mystic about it that makes me look forward to every new sip. Not sure why, but it gets better each time, and its subtleties reveal themselves more every time. I have no idea how to describe this thing, but if this is one of the best readily available gueuzes, try it! It will fully change your perception of what beers can be.

Post-script: Hours later, the smell of gueuze is still in the air. Now THAT'S a powerful beer.

3.89/5  rDev -8.9%

Golden straw color, firm, fine head (not huge).

Smell is ... acetic acid, with a little bitterness that says "belgian."

Taste is very tart, dry, a little sour, with a long lingering bitterness that's more like lemon zest than hops. This is verrrry drinkable, with some sourness hitting you up front, but then quickly diminishing, leaving the long, warm, bitterness rolling off the back of your tongue. As it warms, other flavors mingle, it gets a little sweeter (though it's still essentially dry), more like grapefruit, a sense of fruit pits.

Nothing really notable about the mouthfeel.

This is a pretty drinkable beer, good for a summer day, and might also appeal to someone who doesn't like traditional beers. I personally might prefer something a bit more sour/tart though.

[I found this in a small suburban supermarket that _never_ has interesting beers, but one day, suddenly a big batch of this appears... a lot of supermarkets around here seem to be trying to respond to the popularity of Belgian beer, but without much sense of direction... they seem to just get random stuff in...]

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Pour: Darker golden honey with a beautifully bubbly white head that dissipates into a soap like head that remains well carbonated throughout the drink.

Nose: lemony, earthy, funk, grass, vinegar and lemon rhind.

Taste: Moderately sour, perhaps more tart than anything. Lemon zest, lemon juice, grass, earthy must and slight vinegar.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated, slightly drying.

Overall: This is a classic example of a very good Geuze. I could drink these all the time. Fantastic.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a 350ml wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden, slightly orange color with a small white head that dissipates quickly and leaves behind some spotty lace.

Smell: Tart lemon and vinegar with an earthy, musty backing and a hint of woodiness.

Taste: Begins musty, rounding out to lemon/vinegar tartness before finishing musty and earthy alongside some woody notes.

Mouthfeel: Dry throughout, a lot like champagne. The body is light and the beer finishes dry at first before becoming sticky.

Overall: A very good geuze, one of the best. However, I wonder what the major difference is between this and the regular Geuze 100% Lambic by Cantillon, if there is any at all.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

bottle shared by hoser 17/7/11

A hazy golden orange with lots of slowly raising bubbles not much for head or lace but that's expected

S heaps of funk with pear and apple not much else but I like what I smell

T sour cereal and heavy funk, a little yeasty lemon, pretty interesting stuff

M very tart, medium bodied with lots of bubbles and my lips tried to turn themselves inside out from pucker

O a style I need to explore for sure, good stuff though I look forward to trying it again

I'm curious to how these age but I may need to break the bank find out

2003 sticker vintage poured into Jackie O’s snifter.

A: Pours a cloudy, dirty lemon brown with a thin white head.
S: Ultra funk on the nose that could probably be the definition of stinky sweaty funk. It’s dry, musty, and sweaty, with just a touch of fruit.
T: Follows the nose but it’s almost so dry it’s hard to taste. Very musty all around with flavors of cobwebs, lemon zest and earth. It’s also rather acidic and has a good bite to it.
M: So dry it’s dumb. Low carbonation, acid mouthfeel.
O: Cantillon can do no wrong in my book, but this wasn’t my favorite beer I’ve had from them. It’s great, but perhaps a bit rough around the edges.

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze) from Brasserie Cantillon