Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze) - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze)Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze)

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 09-13-2003)
4.43/5  rDev +4%

Large capped bottle, kept in my cellar for over two years, bottled 2007 according to the cork.

Poured into a tulip, it comes out nearly completely flat, hazy golden, with minimal bubbles producing a very thin and short lasting head.
Pleasant, solid traditional funky, barnyard aroma. Multiple vinegar and sour notes.
Medium bodied, refreshing like the style is supposed to be, this one is a lot more on the acidic and sour side. Astringent, fruity, funky, cheesy, earthy, puckering at times.
Very nice, not the best of the catillons, but still a very good lambic.
Well worthwhile.

brdc, Sep 28, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

No sure how this is different from the classic gueuze. Poured into a Stillwater wine glass. Beer is yellow and pretty hazy with a thin white head that leaves not a lot of lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to low, lower than expected. Bottled in 2009, this is a new one.

Strongly sour aroma, fruits like green apples and lactic acid, citric and mild acetic, overall nice classic Cantillon aroma.

Beer is medium to light in body. Strong tartness, mild sulfur aftertaste, wet, almost a little sweet on the front palate, overall nice. It finishes slightly dry. Sourness profile, lactic and citric first, tartness late with the dryness, the citric is stong, there is a mild acetic bite after the initial hit. Its a very good gueuze. They know what they are doing. Maybe the classic gueuze i had was older but I prefer the other to this slightly, only slightly.

drabmuh, Sep 08, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

500ml bottle served in a chalice.

A: Pours a hazy yellow to beige color forming a big, white and bubbled head. Medium to low retention and many bubbled lacings left in the glass

S: Very fruity in the nose. Lambic yeasts. Grains, oak and vinegar and some notes of white wine

T: Complex. Sour, acid and extremely dry. Fruits (grapes), oak, Lambic style yeasts, vinegar, grains and, again, some notes of white wine

M: Light body, low ABV and high carbonation. Fruity ans sour aftertaste

O: Good drinkability. Classic Gueuze. Quite sour but a Cantillon after all

eduardolinhalis, Aug 07, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 750 Ml bottle into a tremens glass

This is simply one of the most unique beers in the world. It is a fantastic lambic blend with a very intricate sour taste that resembles a whole bouqet of fruit.

Pours a nice golden color with a thin head. Goes down easier than water. The only problem I have with this beer is its cost in America. I wish I could drink it everyday but for 13.99 its a little pricey.

beerhan, Jul 05, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -39.4%

Poured from a 37.5cL bottle into a small flare glass.

A: I had considerable trouble with the cork. Poured fizzy, barely hazy, with a light copper tone. Little to no head, no lacing.

S: Sour fruit, brine, and a faint urine scent. I realise this hardly sounds appetising, but it's strangely appealing...and certainly interesting.

T: Initially I was pleased as I was met by sour fruitiness and pleasant carbonation. But then disaster struck -- the briny smell emerged in a flavour tasting *exactly* like pickle juice. Honestly, it's as if someone dumped a pickle jar full of spoiled wine into my beer. I am not pleased. After a few sips it becomes less offensive -- perhaps it didn't age long enough? The aftertaste is similarly unpleasant.

M: I gave this a four for novelty; the mouth-puckering isn't enjoyable, but neither is it entirely unpleasant. Like biting into a lemon, only less tart.

D: Perhaps lambics just aren't for me. I could barely finish half the bottle. I'll try one that's been sitting around a few years and see what I think then.

AgentMunky, Jun 30, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

had this at the airport in brussels. got it late an night as a gift and could take it on the plane with me so i had it at a cafe with the help of a well sought out corkscrew. pour is apple with a nice head. bright nose of apple and wood lambic musk. the palate had quite a bit of dryness to it. more so the the oridinary gueze this almost has a fresh hop quality that gave it a pepper dry finish. more so herbal than floral. still bright but i would say more of a food lambic than the other lambic.

the bottle was about a year old...

rtepiak, Jun 12, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

This is my first full tasting of a gueuze, so I'm delibertaely leaving my review less detailed. This was a Jan. 2009 bottle.

I was initally blown away by the sour nature of this beer, yet I found it very easy to drink. I was not very impressed with the complexity - it seemed relatively simple. It's possible im just not used to picking up the destinct profiles of gueuze.

I did detect some of the barnyard nature that others speak of - and I really enjoyed that aspect. I look forward to drinking this and other sour beers in the future.

uno99, May 28, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +4%

375 bottle poured into a flute.

A -- Pours a bright golden color with slight bubbles and a 2 finger head which disappears quickly. Bubble flow from bottom to top.

S -- Can smell the tart just when pouring the bottle. Digging the nose in yields sour tart, lemonish acidity, a slight sweetness and a bit of what can only be described as funk.

T -- This beer is growing on me as I drink it. First thoughts were sour tart, but not overly sour at all. A bit of funk right after the initial sourness. Not sure how to describe the funk, it's like an almost flat flavor? Not tasting like flat beer, but a non-taste almost, best described as what I have called it -- funk. Lastly, there is a bit of sweetness coming through ever so slightly. I would prefer a bit more sweet and less funk, but actually, as I drink it, I like this beer more.

M -- Never know what to say here. Pretty good by all counts, nothing to complain about. Very light, spring-esque beer, good carbonation.

D -- Actually, unlike a lot of sour, palate killer beers. This sucker is pretty drinkable. But, maybe I don't drink enough, after the entire bottle the alcohol is sneaking in a bit.

Overall: Initial impressions were, "Blah". But actually I really like this beer. Very good for a warm day with a cool breeze. The funk was initially what put me off, but now I think it balances the sour-ness and tart quite nicely. I'm definitely buying this beer again.

cakirkl, May 19, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Purchased at Sahara Mart in Bloomington. Capped and corked, when I popped the cap, there was a beer on top of the cork. Split with my wife and her sister (and then just her sister, as my wife couldn't handle the sourness) on a Saturday evening. Poured into my Portsmouth snifter.

Pours a hazy light golden color with a fluffy thin white cap. Leaves a bubbly lace (tons of tiny, tiny bubbles) all along my glass...they don't stick long and slowly slide back into the gueuze.

A sour funky smell pours out of the glass. One of those very nice lambics that oozes barnyard. Gotta hand it to Cantillon, they are always on target. Some lemony zest and citrus coming out as well. I've got high hopes for sure.

Lemony, sour, zestiness right off the bat. Very dry and clean. I always love the tartness that comes with this style (done right). Excellent mouthfeel. Light and crisp. Puckering. The sour does take center stage here, but I love that.

Cantillon does it right. I fully enjoyed this beer. Easy to drink with great flavor and excellent mouthfeel. Fill it up again, please!

Consumed: 5/8/2010

hayesez, May 10, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -30%

Capped AND corked...I like the touch and extra protection. Let me preface this by saying that this is only 1 year old. The bottle says it can hold up for 20 years, and I really think it could benefit from some aging...

Pours a light golden color with a decent white head. Retention is alright, but nothing overly impressive. Aroma is basically softly acidic. Sourness is a bit more muted that I was expecting, but this is definitely a sour, acidic beer. Really, that is about it. It has a bit of crisp pilsner maltiness to help balance the acidity, but it just seems pretty one-dimentional. Not really any fruity or floral notes that I was expecting. I am thinking about getting another to age, or at least give this another shot and re-review.

NCBeernut, May 08, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Picture this:
You're standing in the door of a threshing barn, looking out over an orchard with apples, lemons and oranges.
The setting sun pours an amber haze over everything. You close your eyes and feel the sun's warmth on your face, and the smells of the fruit - sweet and sour, almost stinging -, and barn - wood, somewhat mouldy, different cereals, dust, undefinable funk - swirl and mingle.
And you feel like you'd want to stay there forever.

That's Cantillon geuze: amber to golden colour, your expected barnyard funky smell, and a very sour bite to it, just enough alcohol to warm you without burning. It's a geuze, and i happen to love those, and this one is quite exceptional.
The ONLY pure and natural geuze: no addition of any yeasts, the wort is inoculated with wild yeast spores in the air.
The original beer, in every sense.

Paisan, Apr 23, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks to Peter for sharing this beer.

2004 vinrage. The beer pours a clear yellow color with a white head. The aroma is funk, brett, lemon and tartness. The flavor is tart with some lemon and brett funk. The beer is very dry and really gets the salivary glands going. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Apr 19, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

2007 Vintage. Poured from a 375ml corked and capped green bottle with the yellow label(man leaning back on a chair drinking). Pours a golden pale color that finishes in the glass a hazy bright gold. Very little head but fizzy and white...and dissapates pretty quick. Leaves quick sliding fizzy white lacing.

Aroma is funky, full of oak, lemon-citrus like. Tons of crisp and clean farmhouse funk in the nose. Very excited to drink this!

Not a recomended beer to start drinking at fridge temp. Flavors are masked by the shock to the palate. As it warms, a wonderful funk and tartness really bites your tongue. Tons of citrus, carbonation tingle, oaky notes, and wow...what a puckering tartness! Cantillon really knows how to make a great gueuze! Crisp, light, clean mouthfeel. Simply great!

ShadesOfGray, Apr 17, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

On tap at Moeder Lambic. Strange, being able to get gueuze on draft. Stranger still that it tastes cleaner, crisper, and less funky.

Maybe it's the temperature. I warm the glass in my hand and revisit it. The oaken horseblanket still takes a backseat to the sourness. It's refreshing. Not quite as smooth as Cuvee Saint-Gilloise, but along those lines.

Another masterful liquid from Cantillon.

alfrantzell, Apr 16, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +4%

The brew is golden, clear, with a white head that leaves some lacing.

The smell is sour, lemon and sour milk, some earthy aromas, stable.

The taste is very crisp, sour, sour cream with complex earthy notes.

Rather high carbonation, a refreshing feeling.

A very moderated gueuze, clean and very typical.

rarbring, Apr 12, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

750 bottled in 09 split with the old lady after a great meal of tapas.

A- golden yellow hay in color. Perfectly clear and it just shines like the sun. Nice finger or two of head builds and quickly settles to a simple ring of foam around the glass.

S- funky oak and juicy lemon bursting out with an in your face punch. Horse blanket and wet hay all the right stuff.

T- bliss in a bottle. Sour and tart with a full oaky dryness. Lots of myer lemon zest and a bit or super tart granny smith apple. Touches of medicinal band aid mixed in with the very new funkyness. I keep coming back to the wood its so present and bold but by no means out shines the sour. A mild vegitative grassy flavor as it warms as well as a buiscuty hint.

M- modestly carbed with very small tingley bubbles that add a lot to the joy of this brew. Thin body. Mild linger and dry finish.

D- very nice I might say. Yes it sour and yes its full of bugs but I find it very drinkable for the style. I wish I could have waited longer to crack it this was brought back from belgium for me.

oglmcdgl, Mar 31, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

This is a very good beer. I've had it three times now, and it simply gets better every time. The appearance is a darker-golden-almost-amber color with a lively white head and tiny bubbles constantly making their way up through the body to the surface. The smell is super citrus, with lemon and lime, orange, a hint of grapefruit (minus the bitterness), and a little belgian yeast.

The flavor is great all around. lemon-grass, orange, lime, grapefruit (again, minus the bitterness). Very tart and very sour. Super refreshing in its high carbonation and light mouthfeel, and great drinkability. Highly recommended.

jdklks, Mar 26, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

A small corked bottle at the beerbistro in Toronto. I've never seen Cantillon available anywhere else I've been in Canada, nor any other authentic Lambic for that matter. Had to try it. I should put a disclaimer on this review stating that this was my first real sour and thus I have no idea how to review it to style, which I'm sure is incredibly important with beers of this style. You need to start somewhere...I figured this was a good starting point.

Pours with an initial cover of bright-white head, fading to a patchy lace across the top and ring around the glass. Looks pretty much like apple juice, to be honest. Very clear and bright apple-juice gold in colour.

The smell is quite vinous. Lots of red wine, sourness (vinegary), musty, dust, sour cherry. Very complex but mostly coming off as sour. Really interesting. I don't really know what to make of it though, it's so different from what I'm used to.

I've never tasted a beverage like this. Very sour and tart with a dusty dryness. Like a cross between a nice white wine and a lager with some vinegar poured into it. Tart green apples and sour cherries, funky, musty, dust, almost no sweetness. No typical 'beer yeast' character to be found. There are some hops, but they're mostly lost under the extreme sourness. Again, really cool but I don't know what to make of it.

Fairly thin body with a low carbonation.

I'm glad I tried this but am finding it quite difficult to drink. Much too sour and vinegary, which I'm sure it's supposed to be. I just can't deal with it yet. Lambic seems to be an acquired taste I have not yet acquired. I'll come back to this one once I've got a better handle on the style.

eat, Mar 23, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

I picked this beer up at Knightly Spirits while there on "business" in Florida. I intended to drink this beer in my hotel room, but I ad a few while taking in the sights and never got around to it because my palate was shot at that point. I couldn't leave it homeless, so I made a space for it and brought it home with me. I don't want it to feel neglected now, so I am reviewing it while it is still fresh.

Appearance: Pours a somewhat cloudy yellow orange color with a thick head of fluffy white bubbles on top that was about 1/4" thick at its crest and was at least half its size more than a minute after the pour. Even a few minutes after the pour, there is a solid layer of foam on top of the beer and you can see that there are a bunch of bubbles rising to maintain the head. There is some sporadic lacing left on the glass after drinking the beer, but it actually creeps back down the glass in the beer between sips.

Aroma: The beer is has a defined sour aroma that is mixing well with the malt that is there. The sour at this time when the beer is cold is coming across like a lemongrass to me with some sweet toasty malt in the background. You can pick up some of the other funkiness in this beer as well, but it is really clean right now. As it warms up some, it really only gets a little more earthy and still remains clean and aromatic.

Taste: The flavor and overall mouthfeel are excellent with this beer. Wow, it has a host of wild flavors so much that it hits your palate a bit like a sweet-tart, but this quickly gives way to some serious malt complexity and fizziness from the high carbonation. I am really surprised at how they are able to get this much malt presence in a beer that is this wild. I am anxious to keep tasting it as it warms. As I am about 1/3 the way through this beer, my palate is getting used to it and the acidity is starting to come out and linger on the back of the throat for a while after the sip.

Opinion: I really like this style of beer, and this is a very nice example of it. I like the malt balance, as I have stated, as most Gueuze are pretty thin bodied overall. This one comes across with a bit more backbone than other examples. I would certainly drink this beer again, and wouldn't mind buying a few more...especially if it was readily available. As it is, I will probably drink a bottle or two if I find it when I am traveling and bring back something else if I have room.

SkeeterHawk, Mar 11, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured into Lost Abbey tulip.

Pours a light white head that fades down fast. Color is a lightly hazed bright golden orange.

Aroma: Lots of sour and funk here. A nice amount of horse blanket. Sour peaches and cherries. A nice amount of fruit and oak. My mouth is watering. Muskmelon in the background.

Taste: Very sour, but kind of musky. A lot of oak flavors that blend well with the sour notes. I get a lot of peaches and cherries here. Some barnyard horse blanket here. Very tart with bright fruit flavors. I really like it.

Mouthfeel: Sour but a nice layer of tartness it there. A light to medium bodied bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. Ends dry and sour with some light oak flavors.

Overall, this is a solid sour. It drinks very easy and I definitely want more. A little expensive, but worth it. I wish I could drink this more often. I recommend this one.

mothman, Mar 02, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

One of my favorite gueuzes, truly a pleasure whenever I open a bottle. Poured this one into my Cantillon tulip. Pours a pretty amber with a half inch head. Clearer than most gueuzes. Nose is lemon and tangerines, a wine aroma not unlike a dry white like pinot grigio, tangerines, and earthy brett aromas. Taste is lots of fruit, including more lemon and orange citrus, pineapple, melon, and granny smith apple. One of the more acidic geuezes (a quality I quite enjoy). A beautiful beer!

gyllstromk, Feb 28, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

750ml bottle, nice beer-peeing statue parody depiction on the label - the actual statue being one of my few memories of visiting rainy Brussels lo those many years ago as a plucky teenager.

This beer pours a hazy medium golden hue, with a singular finger's worth of low-lying cap of foamy and wispy (at the same time) off-white head, which leaves a weak, low-lying berm of ebbing lace in its relatively quick skip into oblivion.

It smells of earthy funk, plain mustard, sour lemon, sugar-free white grapes, sodden inert wood, and some dry, hay-like hops. The taste is palate-pounding sour lemon rind, acetic mustard vinegar, dry yeast, long-forgotten field hay, wooded barrel mustiness, fruity apples with a certain deathly nature, a lingering earthy funkiness, and some late to the game pale graininess.

The carbonation is lightly peppy, the body medium-light in weight, a tad thin, really, and somewhat oily in its plebeian smoothness. It finishes with more tart orchard fruit, lingering dry yeast, and a played-out pale graininess.

While not exactly providing the same heady tartness wallop as this particular brewer's fruit-forward (hah!) lambic brethren, the puckering quality still looms large, amongst a sharp orchard fruitiness, with a dusty, musty yeastiness, so-called pale malty 'sweetness', and weakly perceptible drying hop notes. Great stuff, but it takes a certain mood to accompany such complexity.

biboergosum, Feb 05, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

Sampled this at the central coast BA gathering last night.

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Fizzy, white head pops up from a very cloudy, yellow-orange body. Head quickly decays to a loose halo, and stays that way for the rest of the session. No lacing.

Smell: Lemon, Brett, leafy hops, and banana. Smells very, very tart. I'm new to geuezes, so my analysis of this beer might be pretty weak. I like this aroma though - strong and tart.

Taste: Strong Brett, lemon, and green grapes. Not at all vinegary and very tart.

Mouthfeel: Lightly carbonated, a touch creamy, and light-bodied. Finishes very tart and dry.

Drinkability: Pretty easy but also interesting. I'd be happy to try another beer like this.

ThreeWiseMen, Jan 25, 2010

2008 Bottling

Thanks to sleepydave for bringing this one over. Poured into a snifter. The body is a vibrant, hazy, honey-apricot color with a thin ring of white suds around the edges of the glass.

Swirling the snifter brings up an aroma of apples, pears, citrus and a bit of alcohol funk. Fruits are mixed with the smell of country air and farm yard.

Tipping the glass back reveals a white grape, fruity, vinous flavor that suddenly becomes tart and mouth puckering. This is my first gueuze and it is definitely more sour than I was expecting, but I'm liking it. Further tasting brings out apple and apricot notes that seem a bit grassy. Flavor remains nice and tart.

The body is light and refreshing, yet full of flavor. Spritzy, almost champagne like in mouthfeel and carbonation. A couple of years in the bottle has made this a lively beer.

Drinkability is good. I keep reaching back for my glass, even with a somewhat puckered expression on my face. Low ABV means you could enjoy the entire bottle if you wanted too.

Overall, I was very impressed with this beer. It was my first gueuze and one of the few sours I've ever had. Flavor was robust and interesting and the tartness was definitely there. I think I might be hooked sours. I'll have to look for a few more Cantillon offerings next time I'm at a store with a good Belgian selection.

sisuspeed, Jan 24, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

Hazed sunflower-gold with a thin but consistent white head. Sour and wild aroma, with sourdough bread, a bit of hay or grass, barnyard, elderflower, and an endless tangent of fruit that ranges from pineapple to lemon to dry perry. There is just a touch of vanilla and oak as well. Powerfully sour on the palate, but beyond that I think it is disappointingly thin. Sour apple, underripe mango, rice vinegar, grass, and a twang of yeasty funk ride coast along on perky carbonation. Hints of oak and glue crop up as well, and the bone-dry finish is all lemon rind. A very nice beer, quite refreshing with just the right amount of funk.

soulgrowl, Jan 23, 2010