Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze) - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze)Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze)

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 09-13-2003)
4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

750 ml bottle with jessethehutt. 2008 edition.

Bright, glowing yellow/golden with lively head that quickly dissipates. Moderate lacing. Smell is not as complex as some examples of the style. A little green apple, acetic acid, piss. Tastes similar, beginning with acetic/sour impression leading into a little bretty funk. Sourness tempered by oak aging. Lively carbonation combined with prickly sourness keeps things interesting as far as mouthfeel. Highly drinkable at 5% abv. Tasty gueuze after a grueling mountain bike ride.

JRhode, Aug 21, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

Brought to a poker game.

A - Pours light golden with a 1 fingered white head. Dissipates moderately leaving no lacing.

S - Lots of brett, some honey, spicy, and a light note of diacetyl.

T - Brett, honey, and a pronounced spiciness or astringency.

M - Moderate to light bodied, well-balanced, and slightly thin. Drinks like a dry white wine.

D - Good. Couldn't finish the bottle between three of us, but good example of a gueuze.

MisterClean, Aug 21, 2009
2.1/5  rDev -50.7%

I'm slowly trying to understand and appreciate sour beers, but then I come across a beer like this and it sends me back to square one. At Dyan's HOTD tasting the other night; this was the "dinner" beer. Everyone else at the table lapped it up, but as for me....

The beer pours an attractive gold color with very nice head retention and lacing. On the nose, mama mia!!! How in the hell can anyone drink something that smells like this? The aroma in this beer is about as rank as anything I've ever come across, and is just flat out disgusting. You just can't tell me this is how this beer is supposed to smell. I get mustard, vinegar, head cheese, dead possum and God alone knows what else. Flavors on the palate replicate the nose, coupled with a gut wrenching and palate pulverizing blast of sour. Maybe this beer would make a nice vinegarette salad dressing, but actually drink this??? Mouthfeel is pretty light, as one would expect with the low alcohol. The beer finishes with a sulpheric bite, which only adds to the horror.

Horrible and completely undrinkable. The intensity of sour in this beer is amazing. I just don't get it. Can I go now?

John_M, Aug 19, 2009

On-tap at the Brick Store.

Pours a hazy bronze-yellow color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of barnyard funk with very slight hints of nondescript fruit sweetness.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Sharp acidic flavors up front smooth out into a funky tartness. The level of tartness is actually a bit lighter than what I was expecting from Cantillon for this style. Tart green apple and unripe pear flavors lurk in the background. The ending is crisp.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a moderate thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished the glass fairly quickly and could have another.

Overall as I mentioned before this wasn't terribly over the top in sourness and was actually quite well balanced. Worth a shot.

glid02, Aug 18, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

It has an oranged color, with just a veil of foam. Gueze appearance.
Smell: healthy and tart. A good leather. Ok. Great smell, with all its right falvour.
A fresh taste, the right tartness. Greately refreshing.
Oh, well, we like it. A lot.
To try, absolutely.

stcules, Aug 17, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -9.6%

One of my all-time favorite labels. Been looking forward to this one.

Appearance - A nice solid, light gold color. The head is the faintest soap bubbles, dissipates into a thin ring. Looks nice.

Smell - All kinds of funk. Wet hay, horse blanket. Vinegar, is probably the first smell. Tart apples make an appearance. Smells very nice.

Taste - Very dynamic. Tart apples up front. A real sourness, almost lemon, follows. There is some lime as well. It's like an unsweetened 7-Up in some ways.

Mouthfeel - A tad thin. I would really like a little more carbonation to balance this out. The lack of bubbles is making it a little hard to drink. Too much like sour water.

Drinkability - Not bad. It's nice and tart, but not so much so that it is hard to handle. But the carbonation is very fine, and not as aggressive as I'd like.

This is a very nice beer. Sort of interesting and funky. I'd enjoy it again, but it's not my favorite of the style.

callmescraps, Aug 16, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

On-tap

A- On-tap at Redlight Redlight in Orlando, FL. I was really excited to see this on-tap.

S- The aroma is fantastic! There is some floral notes, along with a lot of sour and oak. Damn near perfection!

T- The taste like the aroma gives you that nice sour flavor I have come to love in a good gueze. I love it, great stuff!

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Simply put, this stuff is amazing on-tap. I could drink this all night long!

cjgator3, Aug 15, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

On-tap (8/6/09) at the Brick Store Pub, .25L serving in an oversized wine glass:

A - The beer appeared a hazy golden color that produced a finger's worth of head that was not retained, but as will be noted below, the beer had very little carbonation in it anyway, so I don't think that I can really ding it too much.

S - The aroma was different, as expected, lemon and lime perhaps and maybe some other fruits, grapefruit maybe, but a definite sour-ish aroma coming through. I really liked it.

T - At first the sour really hits you over the head, but after the initial shock, it has a really nice flavor, follows the nose almost to a T. The freshness/youngness of the beer is really noticeable on the pallet. It is kind of tough to explain how you can tell, but you just can.

M/D - I would say that the beer had a light medium feel to it, sweet and a little sticky, dry and once you get past the sourness of it, extremely easy to drink. Overall, very well done and a beer that I will most certainly have again.

PhillyStyle, Aug 13, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip glass. Bottled on June 3, 2008.

A- Pours a hazy, murky golden color. Produced a fingers width of white head. Dissipated rather quickly.

S- A cross between old socks and wet horse blanket (and yes I know what it smells like considering I just got back from riding). Very pungent, nice barnyard funk to it. A bit of lemon zest it detectable as well.

T- Lots of sourness upfront, very acetic. Almost mouth puckering, but stops just short. Nice amounts of brett and trace amounts of lemon zest.

M- Medium to light bodied. Leaves a residual sourness on the lips and palate, fantastic.

D- While I wouldn't have a problem drinking a whole bottle of this, I can see how it would be hard for some. This may just be because of the style, but if the flavor profile was a little more complex, this would have went to down even smoother.

Overall, I think I finally found my go to beer when I have a sour fix (I live in Ohio, sours aren't readily available here). This truly hits the spot and as far as imports go, this is by far the cheapest of the Cantillon line at only $13 a bottle. Very happy that I found this one.

rhinos00, Aug 10, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

Picked up a bottle of this from Blue Max Liquors in Burnsville. Haven't had any of Cantillon's regular Gueuze's yet. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip.

Bottled in 2007 on cork.

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear light orange with a small half finger head that quickly dissipates leaving nothing. Tons of bubbles permeate throughout the glass.
Smell- Wow, I can smell the funk as I pour this. Very crisp and tart nose that has my mouth watering. Somewhat rice wine vinegary with an almost citric twinge. The usual horse blanket type mustiness and more of a cheese funk than I've smelled before. The barrel isn't all that prevalent in the nose but as it nears room temp a bit of that earthy woodiness comes through.
Taste- Definitely not as sour as I was expecting. I'd even venture to say it's not really all that puckering. A slightly vinegary tinge that is something like watered down apple cider vinegar. Slightly quenching in the back of my throat as a light earthy mushroom makes its way in. Not really all that funky as it's more just slightly dirty. More age would really accentuate both and probably give this a lot more character. The oak is strong and woody with the slightest touch of vanilla in the finish.
Mouthfeel- Very light bodied with a more repressed carbonation that I was expecting from the vibrant bubbles.
Drinkability- Not the intense lip puckering experience I was expecting but good none-the-less. The beer is actually extremely drinkable because of the subdued sour. A couple more years would probably make this the beer I was expecting but until then, still damned good.

younger35, Aug 06, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

thank once more to sanatar for sharing this one. It's a quick favorite!

Cloudy golden with a small bubbly head. Aromas are prounced stinky locker feet, lemony citrus, and horse blanket to the max. Flavors are identical, with an emphasis on the dirty horse. Sour flavors make my tongue squirm and contract. I am addicted to this feeling! High carbonation. The dirtier the sour, the better. It took about five sips before I was no longer surprised at the ways this gueuze took over my palate with all of it's sour flavors. Yum! I am craving this one again.

washburnkid, Aug 06, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -31.2%

I drank this from the tap into a pint glass.

It pours light brown with a white head, and decent lacing.

It smells sour, with hints of grass and citrus.

The taste is ok, its very sour, almost to sour to drink. I tried it as a taste before I got it, and I'm glad I did because I probably couldn't have finished the glass.

jrallen34, Aug 02, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Shared by Bob Sweeney (no BA name) at a sour tasting. Thanks!

A: Golden blonde, with a little ring of white collar left behind. Otherwise, it has a pretty minimal amount of head and very little retention or lace.

S: Funky, somewhat cheesy, some grassiness and hay.

T: A big sour assertiveness...it's almost beyond assertive. It's a bit of an assault on the tongue on first sip. Acetic, with a slight fruitiness... and almost a bit of a lemony note.

M + D: Somewhat sharp on the tongue, smoothing into a medium body. Finishes quite nice and dry.. this is one to allow to breathe. Quite pleasant.

Proteus93, Aug 02, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -15.5%

Bottle shared by Milos- Pours almost a sparkling gold with a very thin white dusting. Aroma of hay, wood, cherries, some pear, lots of yeasty funk. Very sour fruit, oak, wet hay, full of yeasty funk, and quite vinegary and acidic. Finish is dusty dry and quite puckering. A rare treat for me, thanks to Milos!

mrmanning, Aug 01, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

375ml bottle. Cork shows Bottled in 2004. Picked up tonight at Bacchus. First pour colder than suggested second pour at suggested temp.

Poured into wine glass. Yellow orange in color and slightly hazy. Not much in the way of a head, carbonation in evident but light.

Lemon aroma in noticed right away. Slight earthy barnyard smell. More of a cider vinegar smell as it warms.

Taste is very tart. Up front lemon flavor, sourness is somewhat intense but not unbearable. Apple flavor coming in more as the beer warms. Flavor becoming much more complex and interesting as it warms to suggested temp. Earthy flavors show up late but are very balanced.

Mouthfeel is crisp and dry. Carbonation is light. Very clean.

Tremendously drinkable. This was my first trip in to the world of Gueuze, and Definitely an enjoyable one. I feel the older vintage mellowed and balanced out. I think a fresher sample is in order to compare.

kzoobrew, Jul 24, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

A- Nice golden straw color with a little haze, little head

S- Funk and grass. Lemon grass. Smells like a farmhouse

T- Wow. Lemons and grass. Slight grapefuit. Sourness with a slight bitter finish

M- Good mouthfeel especially with the pucker factor of this beer. Wish for a little more carbonation but still great

D- Its drinkable if your into the style

Wow this beer is just fantastic. I just love this beer with all it sour goodness. Its like drinknig the farmhouse. Its sour but not so overpowering that you cant drink it. I see what the hype is about and I put this in my favs list.

rossthefireman, Jul 23, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy sun-golden-apple-pear with little head and no lacing.

Smell: Nice sour funk, vinegar, cider. You can tell it has been sitting in a moldy attic. I can see why many other cantillon offerings have something added to them though.

Taste: Delicously sour with a nice bit of funk and oak, pear, lemongrass, tart sour apple, lime, pomegranate; minerals in the background

Mouthfeel: Light, nice low ABV; crisp and dry

Drinkability: Very drinkable and refreshing; although extremely sour! How I wish I could walk down to the corner store for these.

craytonic, Jul 17, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Today I'm going Belgian: I'm tasting to different kinds of two Gueuze from different beer-houses (Cantillon and Oud Beersel
Well, here we go...

A: When I opened the bottle (33 cl.) with first the bottle-opener and the cork-screw it poured golden (with some orange). The head was surprisingly small, white and compact - but small. The beer was also cloudy, with some residual lacings.

S: The first thing that hits your nose is the yeast (Brettanomyces), but there is also dryness, fruit (I can sense green apples), malt and a very obvious freshness.

T: I can't believe it's beer (it's somewhere between cider and white wine) - taste a Bud and then taste this, you'll know exactly what I mean. It has a dry taste, it's also acidic (with a hint of citrus). But a main taste is the freshness. A very strange thing is that it tastes like black powder smells after you fired it. The aftertaste is so long!!! It's dry and acidic.

M: Dry and your tongue gets tickled.

D; This is a great Gueuze, but I guess it's not for everyone - either you love it or you hate it. But if you're into beer - you can't die curious - try it at least once.

Evil_Pidde, Jul 09, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a bottle at the brewery in Brussels while on tour there 3 days ago by Madame Cantillon, Granddaughter of founder of Cantillon brewery. Poured into a snifter type clear glass with "Cantillon" written on the side.

A Caramel yellow translucent body with a minimal head that dissapeared reasonably soon.

S Smells like a basic gueuze, but this is the point as this might be THE classic gueuze.

T Great, classic sweet gueze taste with some syrupy sweetness and a slight vinegar like bitterness as well.

M Moderate with sweet bigness but not high on alcohol.

D Great drinkability. I marvelled at how easy this went down, especially compared with other gueuzes that I tasted. This was enjoyable and I could not have had it at a better location than at the brewery itself!

adamette, Jun 30, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +4%

After having a sample of this beer years and years ago, it's a pleasure to to have a bottle all to myself this time. A sturdy and characterful beer that defies styles.

The beer opens with a glowing orange, rust color that has a mysterious haze that creates a glow. Dainty head formation struggles to hold any resemblance of a head an isn't able to lace.

Aromas and flavor of musty, dusty, funky oak barrels, and grandma's attic make their way into the beer- and I love it for this. Just shy of barnyard, mold, and vinegar this beer holds a clean lactic and brett character that brings out the estery lemon, lime, crabapple, and under-rippened berry character that creates tartness but not sourness. Maltiness is moderate and helps to temper the acidic nature of the beer allowing softer fruits of peaches, pears, and pineapples to rise a bit. A touch of salt and apples take hold in a subtle way.

Hopping rates are pronounced and provides a welcome variation of flavor, depth, complexity, and a little something extra to accompany the tartness into the long linger an aftertaste of the beer. Lemongrass and citrus rinds of the hops go well with the sharp brett and lactic textures.

Because of the restrained cidery, acidic, and vinegar notes, the lemon, orange, and lime notes can shine along side of the well attenuated malts, making this beer highly drinkable and a welcome addition for hot summer evenings. The beer is a lot like a Flander's Red without the cherries, but with an Orval hoppy addition.

BEERchitect, Jun 30, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

375ml bottle from 2008. Pours a hazy dark gold with a small white head--looks like a gueuze should. Acidic, musty aromas abound. Definite brett character, though it's overshadowed by sourness. Subtle woody notes. Intensely tart, acidic taste with notes of must and leather in the background. Some very slight, citric sweetness. Earthy and oaky. Incredibly dry. Full-bodied with low carbonation. The quintessential gueuze.

philipquarles, Jun 27, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

RE-REVIEW

i've now had this numerous times during the week of april 20-25, 2009, during the craft brewers conference when jean van roy visited boston. this is actually the one i kept coming back to. immensely drinkable.

scores are also adjusted to reflect my evolving appreciation, nay love, for lambics.

also, thanks to dan at marty's in newtonville for opening a bottle of this from the early 90's. amazing stuff. the scores here partially reflect that as well. the taste may well have been a perfect 5.0, but there was only so much that could be shared of that little 330ml bottle amongst all the people at the tasting.

smell 4.0 -> 4.5
taste 4.0 -> 4.5
drinkability 4.5 -> 5.0

>>>>>>>>>>
OLD REVIEW 7-14-2008

750ml green bottle with "cantillon classic gueuze" yellow label; cork dated for 2007

golden, deep honey color w/ haze. lots of head but soon fades to wisps and ring. lace doesn't stick.

funk upfront and on opening. yeast and then cider notes. whiff of champagne and vinegar.

mild acidic pucker combines w/ yeastiness and grassy funk. musty and woody character is moderate but definitely present. very faint bitterness. dry/sour finish. final, cloudy, yeast pour reveals nuttiness.

not too thin, initially smooth. acidity gives texture. mild carbonation.

wish it had more fruit or malt characteristics, but otherwise good.

tai4ji2x, Jun 27, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

A: Pale yellow straw color. Slightly hazy. A small white and rather sparkling head settles quickly into a small ring of lacings.

S: A fantastic fresh and fine tuned smell. Aromas of both tart and overripe apples, tart berries, fresh hay and some vinegar. Apart from some very faint funky aromas of wet hay and yeast, this could have been the smell of a fine cider or a sparkling white wine.

T: The taste is just as fresh and tart as the smell. Tart apples, lemon peel with semi-sweet nuances, fresh hay, grass and some yeast. Wheat and malted barley. A very balanced character throughout the experience. In the finish, the tartness develops into a more sharp sour taste with a prominent character of lemon. The finish is dry and has notes of barrel, lemon pits, some phenols, a minimal grassy bitterness and everlasting sour notes. The funkiness is very restrained, but becomes present every now and then in the form of wet hay.

M: Medium body with a dry finish. The carbonation is very lively and sparkling. Overall, the beer has a very sparkling character, again like a cider or like a sparkling white wine.

D: This is a world class gueuze, with a rich and refreshing character. Very easy to drink and surely a "fine wine of the beer world".

ricke, Jun 20, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

5/4.5/4.5/5/5

2004 bottle, label says "Organic Gueuze" with an image of a copper mash tun and poppies in a wheat field.

Photo: http://www.sheltonbrothers.info/images/beers/Cantillon_Organic_Gueuze.jpg

Poured into a tumbler, the deep orange body is slightly hazed, but with no visible sediment. It formed a nice head and surprisingly 20 minutes later it hasn't broken. The foam had a very creamy texture. The aroma was a little different than the current "Classic Gueuze", with orange peel and definitely some orange yogurt wafting up. With a swirl there was the more typical sharp acidic note. The first sips felt soft, time seems to have mellowed it's sharpness, though it was still puckeringly sour. Orange and lemon rind, with all the succulence of sucking on a peach pit that still has fruit clinging to it. Definitely soft and peachy. Savory cheese notes come out in a longer draw. It's an ethereal experience, i'll be sad when this bottle is gone!

emerge077, Jun 03, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

375ml bottle split with Oglmcdgl in two flute glasses, paired up with some nice oysters.

A- Sparkling champagne like in kook with a straw yellow/golden appearence. Bubbles were seen shooting up creating a faint but sturdy cap of foam. Pretty clear with just the thinnest trace of sediment. No lace on this one.

S- The smell on this is straight Cantillon and cannot be duplicated. I've had a lot of sours and none can quite pull off the scent on any one of their offerings, very unique. Barnyard musk with a big tart appeal moreso than funky. Getting some wood plus some accidity and lemon.

T- This is a classic gueuze in every sense of the word and it paired quite nice with the oysters. A big tartness to this but not lou pepe tart. Big earthy taste with some barnyard straw and some citrus burst resembling fresh squeezed lemon. Of course some oak/wood is there and only enhances the taste boundaries.

M- Tart, tingly and a bit puckering, better to be taken in small sips. It does not take long for this gueuze to control your palette. Some accidity on the tounge but that comes with the territory. Light bodied with some carb in the feel as well. This one has quite an aftertaste as well.

D- Not the most affordable beer out there but a great example of the style, this one is better to be enjoyed with friends and paired up with something great, make an event out of it. This is not something I would want to come home from work to in other words. Im not an expert in this style but I really liked this one, in small quanities. Easy to cellar to as I would not want it at a moment's notice.

BARFLYB, May 19, 2009