Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze) - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze)Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze)

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 09-13-2003)
4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

I picked this beer up at Knightly Spirits while there on "business" in Florida. I intended to drink this beer in my hotel room, but I ad a few while taking in the sights and never got around to it because my palate was shot at that point. I couldn't leave it homeless, so I made a space for it and brought it home with me. I don't want it to feel neglected now, so I am reviewing it while it is still fresh.

Appearance: Pours a somewhat cloudy yellow orange color with a thick head of fluffy white bubbles on top that was about 1/4" thick at its crest and was at least half its size more than a minute after the pour. Even a few minutes after the pour, there is a solid layer of foam on top of the beer and you can see that there are a bunch of bubbles rising to maintain the head. There is some sporadic lacing left on the glass after drinking the beer, but it actually creeps back down the glass in the beer between sips.

Aroma: The beer is has a defined sour aroma that is mixing well with the malt that is there. The sour at this time when the beer is cold is coming across like a lemongrass to me with some sweet toasty malt in the background. You can pick up some of the other funkiness in this beer as well, but it is really clean right now. As it warms up some, it really only gets a little more earthy and still remains clean and aromatic.

Taste: The flavor and overall mouthfeel are excellent with this beer. Wow, it has a host of wild flavors so much that it hits your palate a bit like a sweet-tart, but this quickly gives way to some serious malt complexity and fizziness from the high carbonation. I am really surprised at how they are able to get this much malt presence in a beer that is this wild. I am anxious to keep tasting it as it warms. As I am about 1/3 the way through this beer, my palate is getting used to it and the acidity is starting to come out and linger on the back of the throat for a while after the sip.

Opinion: I really like this style of beer, and this is a very nice example of it. I like the malt balance, as I have stated, as most Gueuze are pretty thin bodied overall. This one comes across with a bit more backbone than other examples. I would certainly drink this beer again, and wouldn't mind buying a few more...especially if it was readily available. As it is, I will probably drink a bottle or two if I find it when I am traveling and bring back something else if I have room.

SkeeterHawk, Mar 11, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into Lost Abbey tulip.

Pours a light white head that fades down fast. Color is a lightly hazed bright golden orange.

Aroma: Lots of sour and funk here. A nice amount of horse blanket. Sour peaches and cherries. A nice amount of fruit and oak. My mouth is watering. Muskmelon in the background.

Taste: Very sour, but kind of musky. A lot of oak flavors that blend well with the sour notes. I get a lot of peaches and cherries here. Some barnyard horse blanket here. Very tart with bright fruit flavors. I really like it.

Mouthfeel: Sour but a nice layer of tartness it there. A light to medium bodied bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. Ends dry and sour with some light oak flavors.

Overall, this is a solid sour. It drinks very easy and I definitely want more. A little expensive, but worth it. I wish I could drink this more often. I recommend this one.

mothman, Mar 02, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

One of my favorite gueuzes, truly a pleasure whenever I open a bottle. Poured this one into my Cantillon tulip. Pours a pretty amber with a half inch head. Clearer than most gueuzes. Nose is lemon and tangerines, a wine aroma not unlike a dry white like pinot grigio, tangerines, and earthy brett aromas. Taste is lots of fruit, including more lemon and orange citrus, pineapple, melon, and granny smith apple. One of the more acidic geuezes (a quality I quite enjoy). A beautiful beer!

gyllstromk, Feb 28, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -4%

750ml bottle, nice beer-peeing statue parody depiction on the label - the actual statue being one of my few memories of visiting rainy Brussels lo those many years ago as a plucky teenager.

This beer pours a hazy medium golden hue, with a singular finger's worth of low-lying cap of foamy and wispy (at the same time) off-white head, which leaves a weak, low-lying berm of ebbing lace in its relatively quick skip into oblivion.

It smells of earthy funk, plain mustard, sour lemon, sugar-free white grapes, sodden inert wood, and some dry, hay-like hops. The taste is palate-pounding sour lemon rind, acetic mustard vinegar, dry yeast, long-forgotten field hay, wooded barrel mustiness, fruity apples with a certain deathly nature, a lingering earthy funkiness, and some late to the game pale graininess.

The carbonation is lightly peppy, the body medium-light in weight, a tad thin, really, and somewhat oily in its plebeian smoothness. It finishes with more tart orchard fruit, lingering dry yeast, and a played-out pale graininess.

While not exactly providing the same heady tartness wallop as this particular brewer's fruit-forward (hah!) lambic brethren, the puckering quality still looms large, amongst a sharp orchard fruitiness, with a dusty, musty yeastiness, so-called pale malty 'sweetness', and weakly perceptible drying hop notes. Great stuff, but it takes a certain mood to accompany such complexity.

biboergosum, Feb 05, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

Sampled this at the central coast BA gathering last night.

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Fizzy, white head pops up from a very cloudy, yellow-orange body. Head quickly decays to a loose halo, and stays that way for the rest of the session. No lacing.

Smell: Lemon, Brett, leafy hops, and banana. Smells very, very tart. I'm new to geuezes, so my analysis of this beer might be pretty weak. I like this aroma though - strong and tart.

Taste: Strong Brett, lemon, and green grapes. Not at all vinegary and very tart.

Mouthfeel: Lightly carbonated, a touch creamy, and light-bodied. Finishes very tart and dry.

Drinkability: Pretty easy but also interesting. I'd be happy to try another beer like this.

ThreeWiseMen, Jan 25, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

2008 Bottling

Thanks to sleepydave for bringing this one over. Poured into a snifter. The body is a vibrant, hazy, honey-apricot color with a thin ring of white suds around the edges of the glass.

Swirling the snifter brings up an aroma of apples, pears, citrus and a bit of alcohol funk. Fruits are mixed with the smell of country air and farm yard.

Tipping the glass back reveals a white grape, fruity, vinous flavor that suddenly becomes tart and mouth puckering. This is my first gueuze and it is definitely more sour than I was expecting, but I'm liking it. Further tasting brings out apple and apricot notes that seem a bit grassy. Flavor remains nice and tart.

The body is light and refreshing, yet full of flavor. Spritzy, almost champagne like in mouthfeel and carbonation. A couple of years in the bottle has made this a lively beer.

Drinkability is good. I keep reaching back for my glass, even with a somewhat puckered expression on my face. Low ABV means you could enjoy the entire bottle if you wanted too.

Overall, I was very impressed with this beer. It was my first gueuze and one of the few sours I've ever had. Flavor was robust and interesting and the tartness was definitely there. I think I might be hooked sours. I'll have to look for a few more Cantillon offerings next time I'm at a store with a good Belgian selection.

sisuspeed, Jan 24, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

Hazed sunflower-gold with a thin but consistent white head. Sour and wild aroma, with sourdough bread, a bit of hay or grass, barnyard, elderflower, and an endless tangent of fruit that ranges from pineapple to lemon to dry perry. There is just a touch of vanilla and oak as well. Powerfully sour on the palate, but beyond that I think it is disappointingly thin. Sour apple, underripe mango, rice vinegar, grass, and a twang of yeasty funk ride coast along on perky carbonation. Hints of oak and glue crop up as well, and the bone-dry finish is all lemon rind. A very nice beer, quite refreshing with just the right amount of funk.

soulgrowl, Jan 23, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a golden color with a two finger thick white head that recedes very quickly - at first it settles into a nice layer across the top (about half a finger thick), but then a little while later fades into some whisps. No lacing.

This aroma is big and funky - apparently this the infamous "horse blanket" that I've heard so much about...also picked up some notes of sourness/yeast.

If the aroma is strong, the taste is a total kick in the taste buds. In a word: brilliant. Sour first and foremost, with notes of apple and yeast? It's amazing - this thing is so sour, yet so phenomenally delicious, too. As I sit here and reminisce about it, my mouth is literally watering. This brew is great stimulus for the sides and back of your tongue. It's simply tantalizing. One of the most delicious beers I've ever tasted.

Mouthfeel is thin, smooth and appropriately carbonated. Nothing distracting here. The drinkability is great - pretty much depends on your sour tolerance.

This brew was just absolutely phenomenal. It was a revolutionary experience to me - every bit as powerful as my first few sips of craft brew were. Completely perspective-changing experience.

Mavajo, Jan 21, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Bottle with the man in tipping chair silhouette, courtesy of Gibby32 (Thanks Mike!). Bottled in 2008. Light pop of the cork, pours a pale orange golden color with no head or lacing. Carbonation looks light. Nice funk in the nose, brett-tastic, notes of lemon rind, wet hay, and lightly acidic. Taste is right on with the nose. Mild cheesy funk in the front, followed by a crisp, acidic citrus flavor, mildly tart and sour, keeping this nice and drinkable. Funk really starts to come out with warmth and the sour and tartness begins to take a back seat. Gueuze's are supposed to be a more acidic lambic, but I've had much more sour lambics than this. Could use a little more carbonation in my opinion, as it's nearly flat giving it a very light body and slightly less than refreshing. Not bad, but I still think Gueuze's are not my favorite styles.

KeefD, Jan 17, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

A - Murky light honey, very little near white head, leaves to disk fast, some cling bubbly lace.

S - Acidic, barny, sharp and not altogether pleasant.

T - Acrid, twangy, citrus, sharp, barny.

M - Light bodied, light coating, good carb.

D - Not my favorite, even of the sours.

srandycarter, Jan 13, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -19.2%

Appearance - Mild carbonation, no head formation. Light gold, very slightly cloudy.

Smell - Heavy, dark grape tones. Grapefruit as well.

Taste - The beer had a well rounded acidity, which doesn't carry well to the finish giving a slightly off-puting aftertaste. Gives a nice sting on the front of the tongue. There were prominant grapefruit tones which follows through to the finish. Oak flavors are present with a very slight hint of vanilla. There was a hint of cheese flavor, especially in the aftertaste.

Moutfeel - Slightly dry, but only slightly. The beer fealt a bit too heavy and could have been a little drier. Still, it was pretty good.

Overall I wasn't too impressed, but I wasn't put off either.

Fladder, Jan 10, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

A: A 750 ml bottle with a bottling date of 2008 shared with the girlfriend. A pour into my Bruery tulip is a burnt orange color with very little head and quite a bit of bubbles.

S: Now this is a funky beverage. A ton of Brett character with a tinge of lactic sourness and oak.

T: As funky as the nose is, that's how sour it is on the tongue. There is a lot of lactic tartness and it's very acidic. There's a bit of lemon flavor and a lot of Brett. On the finish is a fair bit of oak.

M: Surprisingly this is not all that bubbly. I'm used to Gueuze being a very bubbly beverage, but I suppose that could be due to a short maturation period (ie. my fault).

D: This is a very, very acidic beer. As a result, it's tough to drink a lot of. However, it does taste very good, so it's also something you want to drink lots of. A strange dichotomy indeed.

womencantsail, Jan 06, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -22%

A: Pours a murky golden color with very little head and lacing.

S: Lots of Belgian funk and yeast - smells very "sour" if that's possible. Hints of oak are also detectable.

T: OMG sour! This bad boy grabs your tongue and tries to rip it right out of your mouth. Hints of oak and white grapes are also apparent, but overall the flavor is dominated by the sour. I was hoping for a little more complexity from this.

M: Fairly light bodied with a fair amount of carbonation and a dry finish, like champagne.

D: Meh, I bought this to drink at midnight on new years eve and was pretty disappointed overall. I was expecting a little more from the Cantillon name, but it wasn't awful. This needs a little more balance between the sour and other flavors.

MrDanno96, Jan 01, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

2008 Vintage, Green bottle with yellow label. "Classic Gueuze".

A careful pour into my Duvel glass produces a bright orange/amber/peach colored beer with a firm white head that dissipates rather quickly, with not much lacing.

The smell is bright and sour with hints of citrus, pear, apple peel, and some funk as well.

I almost coughed after the first huge quaff of this, something in here is really sinus clearing. It has a nice tart fruit tang, with some shock tart acid as well, though it isn't overly sour like some beers. It has a good subtle sweetness to balance out the sourness and a decent mouthfeel, if a tad bit watery. Hints of pale malt, green apple, and yeast come out in the aftertaste.

The object of a Gueuze shouldn't be making something unbearably sour, and this one isn't, it is almost a perfect gueuze, up there with Lindeman's though it lacks the smell and the mouthfeel Lindeman's had. It is also like 3 dollars more expensive than Lindeman's.

crossovert, Dec 29, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy straw.
Short lived tight knit head that as quickly as it appeared receded from whence it came leaving a diminutive ring around the perimeter of my glass.

A scant nose but flowers and yeast come to mind with a smattering of the rising springtime sun..

The flavor is a delicate combination of yeast, orange citrus, white grapes all wrapped up with the ribbon of bitter hops.

The finish ends with delicate notes of lemon intertwined with hops and yeast.

Mouthfeel is so closely tied with the finish, produces a clean lip smacking bitterness.

Drinkability mainly because of the 5% ABV is superior I can easily enjoy the entire 1pt 6 oz bottle w/o being soused. And besides I'm just getting started!

I fault this gueuze because I wish for more of a prelude to the flavor in the nose and I wish the head would have put on more of a show.

gueuzeonhigh, Dec 26, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Capped and Corked. Pours a cloudy sunset peach, with a lively multitude of odd shaped bubbles that dissipate within a few minutes.

Smell-Makes you feel like you're right out on the farm. Acidic sourness, though not off-putting. Woody, earthy, wheat, some grape character. A slight apple/pear fruitiness underlies it all.

Taste--Funky. Blunt sourness is immediately evident, moving along into some oaked winey flavour. Warm orange juice. "Previously chewed up hay, mixed with dirt and grass" was the opinion of my fellow taster. "Sour icky old stuff" and "musty water" were some other (normally) macro-drinkers' opinions. It begins with the blast of sourness similar to a flanders red/oud brouin, moves into a oaky chardonnay, then finishes up with a wheaty sour pucker. Tobacco wrapper. Most of the flavour components remind me more of a wine than beer.

Mouthfeel medium-high carbonation, that coats the tongue. As the carbonation dies a bit, it seems very much like a wine.

Drinkability: Tasted side-by-side with NB La Folie, and has more drinkability than that, probably due to the range and complexity of flavour.

darklordlager, Nov 22, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

375ml bottle, Riley's

appearance: poured into my de koninck chalice - active carbonation, light orange body - mostly clear, foamy beige rush with almost no retention

smell: tart white grape, funky as expected from cantillon, white wine vinegar

taste: classic gueuze sour - vinegary, tart, sour grape, hay, oak.

mouthfeel: sour, tongue turning, palate commanding

drinkability: good

dirtylou, Nov 22, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -4%

375 ml bottle purchased at Riley's Wines of the World, in Madison, WI in later 2005 or early 2006. Cork reveals the bottle to have originated in 2005. Corked and capped green bottle with black foil over the cap. Consumed in November, 2009.

Appearance: Nearly tepid orange-gold with a thin and quickly dissolving white head.

Aroma: White wine vinegar and that wonderful lambic astringency that screams Cantillon. Green apple, grape skins, must. Subdued sourness.

Taste: Greep apple, green grapes, leather and horse blanket. Malt vinegar and touches of lemon astringency.

Mouthfeel: Dry, acidic, mellow. Tart but with very little sourness compared to other geuze and Cantillon offerings. Could it be the age? The bottle? Wine like.

Drinkability: In part because of the mildness of this geuze it is exceptionally drinkable. I could partake in glass after glass. Very nice, but I would like it to be a bit more sour. As I recall, other bottles I have sampled in the past have been considerably more potent and mouth puckering.

DaPeculierDane, Nov 16, 2009

Pour is murky yellow with a nice creamy, but small, white head.

Smells like stinky cheese and tart white grapes and other stone fruit. Still missing some depth in this department to take it to the legendary level.

Nice mouthfeel, great acidity, and lovely small bubbles. Taste more of the sour grapes.

Well worth smuggling it on a transatlantic flight.

MenamenaDooDoo, Nov 14, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

Transparent yellow/orange body with a fizzy white head. Lots of bubbles in this one, leaving a thin layer of white over the beer. Smell is well on the funky side. Taste is lemon citrus and rather dry. Good stuff, my first introduction to Cantillon and I'm definitely excited to try more!

jdskinns, Nov 12, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

750 ml bottle tasted at the brewery. Hazy yellow with chunks and mud in the bottom of the bottle. Rapidly disappearing head with scant lacing. Aroma of must and mold and citrus and horse sweat, but in a good way. Sour dry taste, wonderful complexity with notes of grapefruit and lemon. Even wakes up your tonsils. Dry finish. Heaven.

Travlr, Nov 08, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

My first Cantillon. Yellow label 750 classic gueuze. Corked and capped. Here we go. Bottled in 2008.

A- Fizzy, a golden honey yellow, next-to-nothing head settling to a few bubbles on the surface.

S- Potent. Sour, funky, tart. Definite white-wine qualities. Really pretty damn intense.

T- Wow. Tart, sour, but not overpowering, or off-putting. Very interesting. Mild peachiness, buckets of tartness, sour as heck. Very complex.. can't really describe what's going on but this one is pretty darn good.

M- Dry, puckering, mineral-water qualities. Interesting, to put it mildly.

D- Goes down easy, but I took my time. I really enjoyed it and hope its the first of many more!

ShogoKawada, Nov 07, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

this beer pours out into a tulip flared flute a very crisp golden straw yellow color with a large bubbled white head that falls back quickly

the smell is very bright and flowery with a strong pungent sourness that could be smelled all through the kitchen as soon as the cork was out of the bottle. there is a hint of a wood flavor that came through as i swirled the beer a little to liven it up a bit.

the taste is what you expect from the smell, a strong and very sharp sourness, there is a hint of the infamous "horsey-ness" and a oaky dryness similar to an oaked chardonay. the strength of the lactic acid in these beers overwealms most other flavors but there are hints of many barnyard characteristics.

the finish is a long one with sourness that really bites at the tongue and makes the jaw muscles clench although the texture on the tongue is very slilky and smooth from the wheat. this is a wonderful beer and a must try for all who dare to drink the sours!

Brandt, Nov 05, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured a corked and capped 375 into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip.
As a note, the label on my bottle is the classic yellow with black shadow man on it, not the same as the one in BA picture.

Decanted off dregs, which will be saved for a future lambic. This beer pours a rather clean, hay yellow with slight tangerine highlights when held up to the light. Very little head was produced due to a very careful pour (I was saving the dregs). With the little head, no lacing occurred. Just a thin white line that traced the inside of the glass. The aroma is massivily complex. Classic barnyard, with hay, must, ammonia, mold and earthy dampness. Along with the barnyard a nice citrus/vinegar tartness stings the inside of your nostrils. The flavor, well, the flavor just doesn't live up to the nose. It's really good, musty grass, white vinegar, damp earth, with a citrus brightness that sticks around on tip of the tongue. The mouthfeel is light and finishes very dry. Not as dry as other guezes but still enough to make me want some more. Cantillon makes great beer. This is just another.

hwwty4, Oct 31, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a 375 ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Pours a nice golden color with a thin one-finger head that quickly dissipates to a thin ring around the top of the beer.

Smell: Smells like green apple, lemon peel, champagne and something like a nice white wine. Pretty good nose.

Taste: Green apple sourness dominates the taste, but it's really only mildly sour.

Mouthfeel: Pretty medium-bodied and dry. Finishes very crisply.

Drinkability: High for a sour, although I don't know if I'd drink more than one of these in a sitting.

zoso493, Oct 26, 2009