Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze) - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze)Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze)

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 09-13-2003

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

Ordered the bottle at Barley and Hops in Temecula. Poured an organic yellow color with no head.

Funky smells emanating here. Acetic citrus aromas mingle with a barnyard scent.

Super sour. Lemon, white grape, and an acidic champagne crispness. Tasty.

I really dug this. However, about ¾ of the way into the bottle I began to have some sort of allergic reaction. My hands and arms began to itch; I became very dizzy and eventually vomited. I don't know if it was some kind of wild yeast that made its way into the fermentation not sitting well or what, but it really put a damper on the night for me. I'll probably try it again though. Cause I'm stupid.

4.15/5  rDev -3%

750ML Green bottle, Corked. Poured into a small tulip it easily maintains a frothy white head. Golden, slightly hazed body. Crbonation clings to the side of the glass.

She's a tart one. Its not bashful as it comes right at ya from the start. Sour, tart, and tons of depth. Citrus, orange peel, and young lemon. Lingering mouthfeel is tangy.

Notes: Worthy of hunting down. This is a treat. This bottle had two years under its belt and personally I think it could use at least 1 more.

4.37/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottle labeled Cantillon Classic Gueuze

Orange-yellow, thin white head.

Tart, acetic acid nose.

Pucker! Crisp dry apple fruitiness. Good stuff, light on the funk.

Crisp, dry, almost champagne-like mouthfeel.

Good, very good, dry but very quenching.

4.17/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Delirium Tremens snifter.

Pours a hazy apricot color with a healthy head that disappears rather quickly.

The aroma had everything I was looking for in a good sour Gueuze. It has the "nice" "barnyard" twinge that you may or may not be into. The aroma is also highly fruit driven and acidic with the lemon cutting through the most. The smell of this beer put me right in the middle of a grassy hillside amongst a bunch of goats. (yeah seriously)

The flavor is much funkier than the aroma led on. The sourness really smacks your tongue and rushes around the entire palette. Don't get me wrong, I love sour beers but this might be even a touch too much. That would be the only thing I have to complain about it. I feel it could perhaps use a touch of sweetness to balance it out at least a tad. Keep in mind that sometimes it just takes your palette a few sips to get used to these unusual and striking flavors.

The mouthfeel is thin to style and the carbonation is extremely light.

The drinkability is fairly good with the only flaw being a little too much sour. But after that review, I feel like it sounds like I didn't enjoy it. That really is not the case. This is a great beer but it isn't without flaw. I would highly recommend not taking one sip and forming an opinion based on that alone.

4.24/5  rDev -0.9%

Oddly, for a style that's aged, I feel like most bottled gueuzes I've had in bottles in the US feel, well old. This one didn't. It was fresh and champagne-like, but earthy and better than pretty much any champagne I've ever had. I feel like people who don't like gueuze expect it to be beer-like. Approach this one with an open mind, and I think you'll like it.

Appearance is dark yellow with a few big bubbles which hung on the glass. Aroma was slightly sweet and champagne-y with earthy tones. Flavor is sweet and slightly thick, with some bitterness lingering on the tip of the tongue which sticks around for awhile.

I would highly recommend this beer. I had this glass from a bottle at the Cantillon brewery in Brussels (or more properly Anderlecht).

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Got this as a birthday present. Where is the Gueuze? Here.
2007 bottle.

A: Nice cloudy straw/golden color. More head than I have seen from other examples of the style. No lacing but that is part of the package.

S: Nice acidic sour nose. Little bit bready. Funk in the back. Lemons. Some fruit throw in but way in the back.

T: Nice and sour up front. Tartness in the front of your lips and on your tongue. A weird sweetness that is almost like the other side of a lemon is there as well. Little bit of funk as well but it lurks in the background.

M: So nice and light.

D: I love this beer. The price keeps me away most of the time but damn is this good. To think they can pack this kind of taste into a 5% beer is insane. I know how they do it but still. This is poetry in a bottle. Sourheads unite!

3.57/5  rDev -16.6%

Arguably the most difficult beer to drink & judge I think I've had.

Best before 9/2027, bottled September 2007.

I love a beer with a crown seal AND a cork. Supports their claim for ageing.

Pours pale hazy honey, delicate white head.

Smells like the bottom of my fermentor. A big yeasty whack. Touch of "sour" if you could call that a smell, champagne, dry ginger ale, bread, and sulfur later.

Eye-wateringly sour. Lemony, appley, funky. Leather & hessian sack. Reminds me of kava. Touch of dry sherry, then some strawberry, and barrel wood. Definitely needs some integration time, and perhaps to take the edge off the acidity.

The mouthfeel is sour, of course. Makes my teeth grit together. Not very pleasant.

A challenging ale. So angular, that I worry it'll give me a stomache ache in an hour or so. (it didn't).

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Haven't had a sour in a while and was craving one. Grabbed this at State Line last week, the cork says it was bottled this year. Into my Unibroue tulip

A: Pours golden-orange with a dense one-finger white head. Tons of carbonation.

S: Delicious sourness and funk with a lemon rind bitterness up front. Complex funk behind it with some barnyard and green apple aromas. Some oak.

T: Mouth-puckering sourness with a solid lemon rind bitterness to start things off and work on every taste bud you have. Plenty of funk with a musty flavor appearing on the finish. I'm having a hard time putting my finger down on what there is in this beer. The acidity is fine - it isn't over the top and appears shortly before the tart finish.

M: Th carbonation is solid with plenty of small bubbles that work well on the palate, the acidity is moderate and balanced and the finish, dry and not overly sour

D: This is definitely easy to drink and is one of the more balanced gueuzes out there.

4.21/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured this dark green bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. Label looks different than the one pictured here (poppy field/farm on mine). No date but I have had this for over a year. The cork looks like it has 2004 printed on it but it is cracked and hard to read. The body is cloudy, dull orange. The meager head faded to a tiny ring.

Smell was powdered Kool-Aid. Sugary-tart. Citrus. Slight dustiness. Vinous upon opening. Fruits. pepper.

Taste was sour. Tangy/sweet. lip-smacking tartness. Woody dryness. Reflected the aroma well.

Mouthfeel was effervescent with tiny bubbles. Moderate body. Nice. All-around great beer.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours out a cloudy yellow with some amber hints with one finger of white suds.
Smell is on par with 3 Fontienen but milder with hints of light malt sugar. Lambic lemon peel and sour apple skins.
First taste is dirty sink water followed by a quick sourness that fills the entire mouth. This one is a sneeker. Not as sour as the 3 Fontienen. As it warms it gets more malty and bitter.
Mouthfeel is clean for the most part but leaves an oilyness that lingers in the mouth.
Good lambic here. Would drink in batches if I could acquire them.

2.88/5  rDev -32.7%

I had this bottle under the alias "Cantillon Classic Gueuze"....

this brew is sour in the nose...slight bitter aroma as well...the taste was very sour....i got lemons out of it as well...

another oddball from Canitllon....maybe I should start trying these beers when I'm not wasted....I even love sour ales...and sour candy....

4.14/5  rDev -3.3%

375 ml bottle.

Pours a hazy yellow color with a small, quickly dissapering head.

The smell is vinous, sour, with notes of stable and smoke.

The taste is acid/sour with citrus, unmatured gooseberries and unmatured apples. It turns really sour after a while in the glass; it's almost like take a huge bite of a lemon.

Mouthfeel is good. It's quite thin, but in a good way. It's a bit hard to describe it actually. This was my first Gueuze.

It's not that demanding to drink as I thought before I opened the bottle. Refreshing and nice lambic overall. I want more of this someday!

4.07/5  rDev -4.9%

Getting prepped for Eb's belgian fest- decided to pull this one out! Poured form the corked and capped classic gueuze bottle into a Raftman tulip- corked 2008. Pours a fairly clear dark yellow/ orange with a fast rising champagne- like head. Wonderful gueuzy aromas of sour green apples, some lemon rind, and general sourness. Taste is of sour citrus, some alcohol, tart fruits. Lots of carbonation and dry finish at first. As I get to the end of the glass, it has flattened quite a bit.

3.51/5  rDev -18%

Well, to start with Gueuze is one of those categories of beer wich I haven't got "be-friended" with yet. I think it's nice, but more than a little more than a snifter get's too much for me.

Colour hazy light-yellow colour with a disapearing white head. Doesn't look too nice.

When it comes down to the smell, things are getting really interesting. Smells a bit like a stable, with tones of acid-like sourness, but in a good way. Some fruity tones can be found too.

The beer tastes pretty much like the smell, but with a little more bite. Very dry and bitter in the aftertaste, not all to easy to drink.

I can definitively understand why many think these beers are among the greatest in the world. I just need more time with them.

2.5/5  rDev -41.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I like beer, this isn't a beer I like!

I've been to the Brewery, done the tour, drank the stuff while there and I just can't bring myself to enjoy any of the products I've had. This green 75cl cork and crowned bottle is no different. I can see why this style of beer is dying a death.

I travel to Belgium about 4 times a year for little beer breaks and I've really tried to embrace the Gueuze/Lambic way, but I've failed.

Opened during a Belgian Beer Night with friends, this didn't go down at all well.

Light orange, slightly cloudy, hazy it looked like a nasty cider.

The aroma was of rotting old lemons, vinegar and sour cooking apples.

The taste is sour, sour anything and everything really. Just sour.

The closest liquid I've had that tastes and feels like this, is pickling malt vinegar.

4.37/5  rDev +2.1%

Bought in a smaller bottle with a cork and cap.

The appearance was a light amber tone with a thin head.
The smell was off fruit and wine tones, very interesting.
The taste was sweet and crisp, very refreshing.
Mouthfeel is great, tastiness lingers, I want more !
Drinkability is solid, a great Gueze style beer.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Orange with light yellow hues around the edges. Thick foamy white head forms and quickly fades. Rings of lace.

S - Very tart aroma. Sour lemons and a somewhat musty smell linger.

T - A sour puckering onslaught up front. Tastes of tart fruits (lemon and sour apples come to mind). A had always laughed at the term 'barnyard', but I get hints of a musty barnyard taste as well.

M/D - Medium bodied and very refreshing. That bite leaves you wincing, but overall a very drinkable beer.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

Ah, Cantillon in Oz. Had the pleasure overseas about 4 years ago and have looked forward to drinking them again.

Dark orange/dark gold in colour. Very low head and low carbonation.

Such a exceptional smell. This to me is an example of true beer aroma complexity. Where to start: Has a real cider and wine smell to it - very unbeerish (in the standard sense). White wine, skanky old barrels, apples, citrus and a massive does of Belgian funk (barny more than poo). Amazing appeal.

Palate is initially loaded with sourly deliciousness (salty even?). Hard citrus bend - lemons and grapefruits followed with the familiar wine/cider trip. Sourness is very upfront and tight, however, as the glass goes on and the palate tunes in and the sweeter fruiter edge comes out. Lovely. Some real pungent funk bite in there as well.

Broke out some Gruyère to go with this and the Gueuze really started to sing on the palate. Given time it really opens and continually changes - gets softer, vinous, fruiter and even better tasting. Going back to the store for some more!

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

12.7-ounce corked-and-capped Champagne-style bottle poured into a tulip yields a glowing golden-orange body with a thin white cap fed by plenty of active carbonation. No lacing is left behind on the glass.

The smell of the drink is tart and musty with a fruity bit of sweet red apples and soured grapefruit juice, a note of bakers' paste yeast and a whiff of really good bread that's gone moldy.

The taste of the drink is sour and a shade apple cider-vinegary, with a crisp, dry blast of even sour-er fermented lemonade. A slim vinous sweetness peeks out from under all the eye-crossing twangy whack-in-the-mouth zing, as does a miraculous little note of pineapple-orange-laced pale malt that sweetens the drink further and adds a lonesome mellow caramel note into the midst of all the sour dryness.

Crisp with a borderline mouth-puckering sour dryness, the drink is refreshing and life-affirming.

3.85/5  rDev -10%

A - Poured into a tulip glass a hazy dark golden colour with a couple of centimetres of rocky white head that slowly falls away.
S - A lemon sourness hits first up; followed by a bit of musty, earthiness & some grassy, slightly floral notes.
T - Very sour lemon notes, some apple tartness. Some sweet malt touches & also some grassy, floral hints.
M - Light to medium bodied, pretty high carbonation & a lingering lemon, earthy taste.
D - Quite an interesting beer experience. Worth a try and I would drink it again but anymore than one in a session would be too much.

3.33/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured from the green bottle into a wide wine glass.

While I found this beer very drinkable for the style, this beer lacked the rich complexity that sour beers are known for. Simply put, this just tasted and smelled like sour lemon - there was no real level of funk. It's still a pleasant sour, with a lemon and herb bent, but that isn't enough.

4.54/5  rDev +6.1%

This was a 750ml bottle with the same label as the "Classic Gueuze" but it only said "Gueuze" and dated 1996. I was very excited to try a 12 year old Gueuze. The color was a pale gold, lightly hazed. Thin foam with very solid carbonation. Considering the age I wasn't sure if the carbonation would be so strong.

Classic barnyard funkiness, lightly soured with a hint of bready sweetness. The aroma has a real musty basement character, like moist earth. The taste is nice and funky with a a mellowed lemon tartness. It starts out mild but after a bit the sour really hangs on your tongue. The mouthfeel was right on for style, with a sharp carbonation.

Overall this was a pretty intensely soured gueuze, and it didn't show its age much. The folks at the tasting said that Papago brewing was clearing these out awhile back for only like $7. That's a real bargain in my opinion...

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance: The color of wheat, very hazy with just a hint of clarity. A a thin head forms and then quickly disappears, leaving no lace.

Smell: Musty and funky in the usual Cantillon fashion with a bit of lemon juice for good measure.

Taste & mouthfeel: Sour and fruity, like taking a bite out of a lemon (rind and all). Very nicely balanced actually - the acidity and sourness are ample but not overbearing. I'd almost call it mellow. The finish is lightly bitter and tannic, but pretty clean overall. Carbonation is moderate, just enough to make it dance on the tongue.

Notes: Another fantastic brew from Cantillon. Do these guys make a bad beer?

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Wow! Great sour lemon aroma is the first thing that hits me. Cloudy gold color with a bubbly white head. Taste is sour with lemon and some tart green apples. Dry and fizzy. This reminds me a bit of the Lost Abbey Isabelle I just had. I shared this with a friend and I thought it was going to destroy her palate, but she really enjoyed it.

Warm spun gold with low carbonation. Emanates a sharp whiff of vinegar at first, though this soon gives way to a scent of warm dustbin. Has a wine-like character along the lines of a decent chardonnay, but with a tartness that strikes the jowls with a taste of baked shoelace in brine.

Acidic to the point of agitating the palate, yet genteel in its closure. And it has more funk than the Family Stone. Far preferable to the more expensive 3 Foneinen.

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze) from Brasserie Cantillon