Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze) - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze)Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio (Organic Gueuze)

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 09-13-2003)
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

This beer pours crystal clear light golden orange body with a small bubbly white champagne like carbonation that dies quickly.

Nose is very unique. Dirt, feet, rubber, oak, hay, manure, barnyard, touches of fruit.

First impressions of this beer is that it's going to be very tart or sour, yet as it glides across the tongue it tones down immensely ending in a very smooth yet still tart taste. Light bodied with a mixture of sour fruits, apples, granny smith apples, a strong rhubarb taste, lemon juice, lime juice, dry wood, hay, shit, . It has, again, an intense barnyard sort of flavor. Very reminiscent of a saison almost, yet purely lambic. The wood taste almost has a saltwater quality, as if it was barrel aged in a barrel made from boards from an old sailing vessel.

By itself I can understand and appreciate it, but it is a bit overwhelming. Paired with a nice cheese and this beer could out of this world. I'm just dieing to try this with brie or other cheese.

taez555, Jan 27, 2006

Bottle: sampled at the brewery in Brussels. Poured a golden colored beer with great carbonation and a good head. Aroma is a mix between some floral tomes and the Cantillon yeast. Taste is a bit deceiving since it is too much acidic that it kills the rest of the flavours. I know this is supposed to be the classic gueuze but I believe that some other gueuze a better balanced then this one.

Re-rate: Bottle dated 2004. Barnyard aroma with sourness and acidic notes quite evident. Taste is quite sour but not as acidic as the bottle tasted in Brussels which was probably fresher. This version seems to make more sense with ratings included here.

Phyl21ca, Jan 23, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Slightly hazy gold, with a thin but even off-white head. This beer sports quite an aromatic boquet, tart and inviting with hints of vinegar and musty blanket. The flavor is, as far as the style permits, quite smooth. High acidity hits the back of the mouth immediately upon commencing the sip, though the beer mellows a bit as it warms and the tongue acclimates. Rich and flavorful, but ever-so-drinkable with tight, ample carbonation giving it a plesant, easy mouthfeel. A winner.

mzwolinski, Jan 20, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Corked and capped bottle, pours orange-gold and heavily hazy, with very little head, just a white skiff of foam, despite a reasonably aggressive pour.

Sour apple cider, vinegar. Cooked vegetables. There's also a bit of a musty dry woodiness I can't quite place.

Sweet and sour. There's a lot of malty sweetness for an instant at the tip of my tongue, but as soon as the beer slides back onto my tongue, all sweetness is obliterated by sour. Still some apples. The degree of sourness makes it almost citrusy -- not in flavour necessarily, but somehow I'm reminded of a strong grapefruit juice.

The mouthfeel is very smooth, pleasant and dry. Almost no carbonation, so it's not active at all, but pleasant nonetheless.

Very nicely balanced, despite the sourness. Not something I'll reach for too often, but a fine, fine beer.

thesilverhand, Dec 07, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

Cantillon's Organic Gueuze was my first Gueuze, although I have had lambics and Flanders Reds before, so I knew somewhat what to expect. Upon cracking it open, I immediately caught a whiff of that "horse blanket" or "sweaty" smell, but that quickly passed. As I held the beer up to my nose, my eyes started to water and my mouth started to pucker simply on aroma alone. Tart-smelling would be an understatement. It also smelled of moldy citrus rinds. It poured yellowy-gold. The cork was dated 2004. The flavor, like the aroma, was tart and dry. The high level of carbonation and palate-cleansing nature of the drink reminded me of champagne. Indeed, the process of blending gueuze is similar to that of champagne and the bottle declares that it is the "Champagne of Belgium."

My wife described drinking it like eating a Granny Smith apple, but without the apple flavor. Spot on.

The beer is not very drinkable by itself, but per the BA food pairings recommendation, I consumed this with slices of tart Pennsylvania Nittany Apples smothered in Double Cream Brie. When paired with the creamy brie, I could not get enough of the gueuze . . . or enough of the brie! The beer caused the brie to be even creamier and richer and the crisp sharp bite of the tart apple balanced everything out. I'd highly recommend a similar beer and cheese pairing for an appetizer or indulgent snack.

dnrobert24, Dec 02, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

I bought this 750ml bottle at Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido CA. The cork was dated 2003.

A - Poured a golden honey color with slight orange hues and a thin white head that lingered then disappeared before i know it.
S - Definitely pungent here, of wet horse blanket and citrus rinds.
T - Tart, tart and tart like orange juice that's fermented in the carton from the grocery store with citrus rinds. Rather bitter and your taste buds will pique. Damn, this is why l am falling for this style (i must say I dont care for my women being bitter)

The carbonation was light as was the body and finished on the dry side. Very sharp and acidic. Mmm mmm mmm good. Delicious.

SwillinBrew, Nov 26, 2005
4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

Cork Dated 2003.

Out with the Old…in with the New. For some time Cantillon have been using organic ingredients in the production of their lambics. As time goes by it seems that all of the Gueuze leaving the brewery will be of the Gueuze Lambic-Bio (or, Organic Gueuze) variety. Certified Organic by Ecocert Belgium.

Presentation: Classic looking 750ml Cantillon green glass bottle comes with a cork/crown cap, all luxuriously covered in a lovely thick dimpled black foil that covers the slender neck. Light hints of a very dark rusty-orange liquid above the cork once the crown cap was removed, but it cleaned up easy enough. The main obverse label has a picture of a poppy laden field with the Cantillon Copper juxta-posed against it.

Appearance: My Cantillon Lambic Tumbler was steam cleaned then rinsed in cold water and allowed to dry. I poured the contents of the whole 750ml bottle at once into a Jug, from which I topped up my Tumbler, the way I always like to drink my Cantillons. The body exhibits a gorgeously hazed peach-lemon body with an inordinate amount of active streamers throughout. Uncontrollable head is restrained with a careful pour to form a thick white cap that fizzes loudly (put you ear against the glass!!) and slowly collapses to leave a thin white halo. Unholy appearance…..this is Lambic-Gueuze at its best; stunning and dangerous with a blessed heritage, it looks fantastic and defining of the style in the straight-sided Cantillon Gueuze Tumbler. A gentle tip reveals almost zero carbonation, non-existent lacing.

Nose: Oh Yes…..intense Pavlovian aromas, the mere whiff of a Cantillon Gueuze sends my Brain into overdrive, a high speed movie collection of Belgium memories and the of the few times that I walked into the Cantillon Museum in Brussels. Dry, acidic, lambic astringency with some freshly squeezed sharp lemons. This used to make my eyes water and have my nasal hairs screaming surrender, in French of course ;-) but these days I am hardened to its massive intensely upfront nose, I may be used to it these days – but it still impresses, Cantillon Gueuze still has a defining odor that is never forgotten.

Taste: Take the nose and form the gaseous hints into liquid fact. Puckering right from the off, my dry lips suffer a battering as the lemon acidity stings the edges of my mouth. The carbonation tumbles out the Gueuze as it flows across the tongue, leaving a trail of funky farmyard devastation; sour rivers are swelled with a series of biting tributaries from the citric tartness, malt vinegar, Brett flowing Artesian wells and yeasty oak casks. Sour, sharp, dry, biting and funky. Pure Cantillon, it is easy to see why this one blended brew fills up for over half of the bottles that leave Rue Gheude, 56 in Brussels.

Mouthfeel: What moisture I had, has long gone, replaced with a yeast laden lambic plasma that stick to my tongue and eats away the flesh. High level activity from the dissolved carbonation fashions nicely with a dry acidic evaporation.

Drinkability: I have such a weak spot for Cantillon Gueuze, this is dangerously drinkable and so bloody easy for me to overdose on, and I just cannot resist it.

Overall: Could I tell the difference between the original Gueuze-Lambic and the newer Organic Gueuze version? Probably not. Should this be listed separately to the “regular” version? Maybe! Maybe not!! – Who cares? Not me! Just enjoy this marvelous thoroughly traditional Lambic-Gueuze for what it is, a defining example of a great Beer Style that once tried, is never ever forgotten, but always missed. Now where did I put those Tums…..?

Always an Honor and a fantastic pleasure to savor this Masterful product, nice to finally savor the “new” Organic version.

Orga-sm-nic!!!

TheLongBeachBum, Oct 08, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

375ml Bottle bought from www.onlyfinebeer.co.uk

Poured a golden yellow colour... Small white head formed but disappered almost instantly...

Aroma - Earthy sharpness, champagney, lemony, peppery notes. Maybe the slightest hint of sour apples ??...

Taste – Very tart / bitter, earthy, acidic, citrusy...

Feel - Very sharp and dry...

Overall - An outstanding gueuze - one of the best. Probably couldn't drink too many in one sitting though !!!

mdagnew, Oct 03, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +4%

Green 375 ml bottle, corked & capped. Cork is imprinted with year of bottling.

Medium orange in colour, clear. Thin lines of carbonation. Thin white head. Patchy lace.

It has a woody smell. Followed by notes of lemon, some funky stuff, and hints of apple.

Quite a delight. Sharp, acidic, and an enjoyable sourness. Sublte hints of lemon & apple. Iron & oak. Dried out old crumpled leaves. Mouth puckering, dry finish. Medium bodied, very gentle carbonation. Excellent.

xgrigorix, Sep 22, 2005
3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

2004. The cork pops tepidly. Bronzed peach liquid pours into my tumbler, raising a thin ring of off-white bubbles that fairly hug the walls of the glass. A little drop of yeast lands in the glass and forms little knots of descending turbulence through the beer, which lacks any visible carbonation. The smell is far from weak, but when sniffed cool, seems limited in acidity; and just slightly yeasty--imagine a super-dry, tart hefeweizen. It cuts far more assertively--and deeper--into the nose when warm. Somehow this reminds me of the smell of moldy porcelain tile, but that may be because of the solvent, lemony nosefeel. The first sips taste just like sour lemon candy with the sugar removed. Fresh unsweetened lime juice follows, over a gossamer-faint, rice-paper maltiness. Hay and wilted lettuce round out the finish. The mouthfeel is cleansing in its tartness but finishes all too brief and would gain so much from some lively carbonation. Drinkability seems almost too easy, but I have to remind myself that I'm still coming down from an '00 Iris. I try to save harder-core gueuze for special occasions; this is a fine example which I could even imagine drinking day-to-day.

NearerMyBeerToMe, Sep 14, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance: "Bottled in 2004"...drank today. Decanted without the yeast--the yeast made the beer taste bland when I tried it at the end.
Golden yellow. Very clear. Soda or champagne like fizz at the begnining that disappears quickly. No retention--but who wants that anyway.

Smell: a sour fruity smell. Very sweet. Still don't think lambics stink or smell like "funk/wet horse blanket"...

Taste: Very sour, very tart. Has a huge grapefruit flavor. A little lemon. Very good taste.

Mouthfeel: a full body. Robust, rich. Incredibly dry--very excellent.

Drinkability: A good beer. Different deinitely that. Could get used to the style though--would be great with meals or any time.

cracgor, Aug 02, 2005
3.3/5  rDev -22.5%

My first gueuze...

Capped, corked and black foiled 12.7oz poured into a stange.

Hazy apple juice with a small white head that falls to a ring of big bubbles. Lots of smaller bubbles cling inside the glass. Now that I think about it, this looks a lot like Vernor's Ginger Ale.

The nose is a nice balance of funk and citrus. Plums, something acrid (vomit?), the barn I bailed hay in when I was 16, green grapes and zest of lime. At first I didn't like it, but the more I sniff the more complex it gets.

Wow, is this tart! Like an extremely dry white wine, with some cider made from crab apples, and a touch of white vinegar. The apple notes slide in for the finish. I found the mouthfeel too watery, not something I would normally session to say the least.

A bit too much for me, but interesting enough that I will try other examples of this style.

ypsifly, Aug 01, 2005
4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

2003 vintage

Pours a magnificent golden-orange color with a slight haze. No head but some lacing is present... very little carbonation.. typical cantillon and gueuze aroma.. lacks some of the complexity of my favorite gueuzes, but still a fine example of the style. Goes down smooth and the only real complaint I have is the lack of carbonation.

eclectic, Jul 14, 2005
3.85/5  rDev -9.6%

Well, talk about being in France and drinking beer. this stuff felt like wine- not that there's anything wrong with that- more than beer or even fruit juice (who's to say wine's not exactly that).

The pour is cloudy straw colour, as if you were staring at the inside of an apple. the nose is a strong array of apples, grapes, and a sour twist similar to prunes.

The taste I thought was good until a certain point. very similar to white wine but much drier of course, it is abundantly fruity whilst not that sweet. the character turns to a strong astringency and sour feeling mixed a bit with spices, and the end sensation is very, very salty, as though replacing the bitterness of hops here absent with this. prolly why I didn't overrate the mouthfeel which I feel was a bit too strong and overwhelming for me.

still, a worthwhile purchase from a brilliant brasserie.

Andreji, Jul 08, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

2003 Edition, foiled and corked. Been saving this one for a while, so here 'goes.

Appearance- Murky golden color with a crisp white head, a full finger thick, reducing to a mat.

Smell- Wow, this is nuts. Rotting, fermenting, sour fruit that went way over the edge. Absolutely wild... think dumpster diving a fruit cart left abandoned at the zoo in the hot summer sun. It's so unique (and certainly not cheap)... I've had gueuze before but this is extreme.

Taste- A mouth-puckering sour funkiness, extremely dry in the finish. Lemon and tart grapefruit up front, musty old organic matter in the background.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Easy, pleasant body with medium carbonation. The main features of this enigma are of course the smell and taste, and I suggest beginning or ending a meal with one of these, split amongst friends.

yelterdow, Jun 27, 2005
4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

12.7 oz. bottle, capped and corked. Vintage 2004. Picked this up at Royal Liquor in KC. Not available here in Wichita.

Appearance: This brew was a lightly hazy, golden-amber color when held up to the light. Sitting on my dark desk, it had an orange glow to it. The fizzy white head rose up to a little more than a finger with a relatively rough pour and settled down quickly into a thin layer. This too was gone after awhile, leaving only a thin ring of bubbles around the circumference of the glass.

Smell: As the head was settling down right after the pour, this beer provided exactly what I was expecting. The aroma was thick with Brett, sweet manure, dity barn, and good old fashioned stank. Man, why is it that we love those qualities so much? After the head had settled, other, more subtle aromas began to emerge. A lot of old wood, apples, a light citrus bite, and a subdued spiciness. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, but it still had a lot of presence in the mouth. It was smooth upfront and developed a light carbonation in the back of the mouth. Dry on the finish and somewhat scratchy in the throat.

Taste: The first sip of this stuff always shocks my taste buds. An extremely acidic sourness that produced an involuntary head shake. Probably one of the tartest beers that I have ever had pass my lips. After my taste buds became acclimated, I began to detect the subtle flavors underneath. Dry, rotting, crumbling wood combined with bitter orange rind. I could "feel" the yeast in the back of my throat more that I could really taste it. There was a sour fruitiness that I couldn't quite put my finger on. A little bit of sweet apple lingered in the aftertaste to take a little edge of the sourness.

I love gueze and it is rare for me to snag a Cantillon. This is just good stuff. I would love to try a bottle with a few years age on it. I bet it would lose that scratchy feeling that lingered in the throat.

Quaffer, May 18, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

This new (bottled 2004, according to the cork) all organic version of Cantillon Gueuze pours a beautiful light orange color with a super thin head of tiny bubbles. Smell is fruity and zesty, full of citrus lemmon and a rotting smell. Taste is fabulous, and complex. The tart lemmon, sour apple flavor hits first, and is followed by mold and dust and the strangest finish and aftertaste I've ever experienced in a beer. Low to nonexistent hop profile, and mellow malts, not sweet in the least however. Great dry and airy mouthfeel. This beer just begs to be drank. I'm really getting a grasp of the style now, where as when I first tried it I was surprised and couldn't really think of it as a "beer." A superb gueuze and overall interesting a challenging beverage.

twelvsies, May 01, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +4%

Label on da bottle states: Organic gueuze oak aged & blended lambic of 1,2 and 3 year old lambics creating a 2nd fermentaion in the bottle. Jean Van Roy Master Brewer.

Slight chill hazed peach into a tulip. Next to zero bubbles topped by a thinkhaki skin that settles to nothing. No lace.

Aroma is a mouth watering floral dendelion prerequisite. Earthy airy & citrusy.

First swigs: Sweet metallic gueuze. Lemond rind. More Earthy but piquant & bitey. Like a roll of nickels. Bracing sides of the tongue suffer in bitter sour anguish and delight. {Pure grapefuit juice.} Dry aftertaste.

Thin feel, tight light sudsy carbonation, make me want to have more and more and more. Refreshing and palate cleansing.

Last swigs: Sour bitter Earthy sipper. Shear delight.

blitheringidiot, Apr 29, 2005
3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

smaller bottle, foil, cap and cork, cork states this one was bottled in 2004. Pours hazy/murky apricot in color. White head initially puffy, settles down to a thin tiny bubble film, leaves minor lacing. Nose is sharp, sour, and cleanserlike. This is a big, very sour brew, certaintly not for everybody. Lots of sour grapefuit and full on lemon flavor going on, pucker up! Fine sipper, still acquiring a taste for this unique variety of Belgian suds. Unless you love this stuff, I'd go for the varieties of Lambic, that add fruits, softens the experience and makes em more drinkable

Billolick, Apr 28, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +8%

33cl bottled in 2003

Pours a very slightly hazy golden color with a slight orange tinge. Head is white, small and quickly vanishing. Collar is just as white and sticks around for a bit.
Smell is citrus, vinegar, cork (in a good way), slightly funky yeast. Not much barnyard or horseblanket in this one, which is kind of nice as the smell of Gueuze kind of turns me off.
Taste is pretty darn good. Tart, oh so tart. Citrus, tastes like fresh squeezed orange juice sort of...well not really but it's a strong lemon and orange flavor. Musty sweetness follows the innitial cirtus twang.
Mouthfeel is good, coats the tongue, and finishes very very dry, which is nice.
A great example of the style, and the fact that it's organic makes it that much cooler.

Note: I figured for the beer that would bring me up to 250 Karma, I would review something from a style that I love, but of which I don't drink nearly enough

LuckySevens82, Apr 25, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

This was a nice find while in the Chicago burbs this weekend. It pours a yellowed golden color with a small ring of larg bubbles around the top. The nose is acidic, sour and tart. There are hints of lemon, but this is full of funkeyness. I'm excited to try it. The flavor is apparent even before swallowing the liquid. My mouth begins to pucker without much beer in there. Upon swallowing it, I get a big blast of acidity and citric sourness, not quite puckering, but pretty close. The big flavor moves quickly to a mellow lemoney slightly wheaty/grainey flavor. The feel is where I expect it, thin to moderate with a small carbonation. I really find this to be a nice example of a gueuze. There is no acidity left in my stomach as I drink it. The burps are not burning and the flavors left on the tongue are really mellow and nice. Another nice brew from Cantillon!

kmpitz2, Apr 24, 2005
4.78/5  rDev +12.2%

duck duck geuze (sorry, couldnt resist)

@ 12.99 for a bottle this aint cheap fizz, nice pop of the cork, immediately hit with that belgian yeasty/bready/honey thing... but I am getting ahead of myself..

this bottle has no bottled date but I trust my beer guy and he told me it is a fresh case right from belgium.

appearance:
straw lemonade suspension, one full finger of head dissipating, no carbonation bubbles seen in the murk, the color, although murky looking, is incredibly consistent glass to glass, knowing all that goes into this style that amazes me.

nose:
the standard farm belgian nose, like dough witha touch of honey or even summer flowers and behind it lies a flow of lemon tartness.. makes the mouth water, I close my eyes and imagine a fruit hybrid made from pears, apples and lemons, where you get the sweetness of pear apple on a bite then the finish is the tart refreshment of lemon sorbet.. wonderfully balanced nose.

taste:
the lemony flavor is up front (not as heavy duty as cantillon's other lambics). the medium body almost is hidden because of the tart refreshing finish. the carbonation is just enough to keep this afloat in the mouth, like the nose, this is balanced as well. I also detect a little salinity in the finish matching the tart ness, which gives way to subtle apple/pear tones.

drinkability?
well, if you like geuze dial this one up, this is a very drinkable brew, there are no distractions of too much fruit etc, you really get the raw lemon feel of the style. for me this is nearly as good as it gets.. awesome brew.

Ego, Apr 09, 2005
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Ah, another beautiful Cantillon product. It was mid-afternoon at the kitchen table and there was a brightness because of the snow outside, but a lingering cloudiness. But the beer... It poured golden like straw, like liquid gold, like something you just look at and want to worship. Unfortunately, there was no head to speak of and very little carbonation. The bottlecap didn't pssshhht, nor did the cork pop out like it was under pressure. So it goes.

Your standard sourness, some fruit, and light vinegarish aromas compose the nose. The taste is a tart sourness, but somehow it spreads around your tongue, wrapping it in the flavor. It is by no means mouth-puckering, but just good and sour. A little grape (without the skins or the sweetness) lingers as well as some apricot or peach, but without the acidity or sweetness. Just hints of fruits there. Just hints.

Without carbonation it tastes okay, smooth, but it feels as though something is missing. Drinkability is good, but I had to split a small bottle between two sessions because of the acidity.

A yummy one, and I look forward to sampling this and other Cantillon products in the future.

twilight, Feb 21, 2005
4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Bottled in 2003

Nice looking beer. Beautiful pale straw color with decent but not serious carbonation. Head is quite white. Would prefer a bit more prolific gas.

Big nose. Big Brett and big sour apple. Very nice. Get some of the nasties in there too. What I take to be the enterics. They are really harsh.

It really isn't very harsh which is nice. Quite soft and approachable. Doesn't linger in my mouth and make my cheeks hurt as bad as Hanssens. Still get the big sourness in the front. Really tart. Touch of Brett in the mid palate. Really nice very dry finish as the tart funk fades slowly away into a kind of almost cheesy dry finish then to nothing. That touch of kind of cheesiness in the finish really bugs me.

Mouthfeel is right on for a Gueuze.

Pretty drinkable for a Gueuze. Except for that cheesiness its would be quite drinkable.

cerevisiaephilus, Feb 10, 2005

Certainly one of Cantillon's softer beers, the Organic Gueuze is pretty straightforward with predominant flavors of lime zest, orange, and lots of fresh leafy herbs like parsley and sage.

Not paricularly musty, but spritzy on the nose -- getting denser and more mouth-watering with some time in the glass.

The finish is strange, very drying with good salinity, but also leaving some dead weight in the middle of the tongue.

Though not entirely complex, this is very characteristic of gueuze and done with impeccable refinement. Not as fruity as Lindeman's Cuvee Renee, as bright as Girardin, or as tart and crisp as Hanssens, but still one well at home in the canon of Belgian beer.

Relax, relax.