Cantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Lou Pepe - FramboiseCantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 11-03-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -39.3%

Thanks to bucketboy (Joe) for surprising us with a Lou Pepe diagonal on the day of the tasting. 11th beer consumed overall, and the first of the Lou Pepe variants. Bottle from 2002.

The pour yields an uninspiring dirty brown amber with orange hues. Not much carbonation is evident, as this one is just a bit more carbonated that tap water.

The aroma is funky and sour with overripe and rotting, festering raspberries come to the front followed immediately by some acetone. Extremely sour on the palate, but nothing lactic or acetic. The pedio has taken over this beer, yielding a warhead like sourness, but taken up 3 notches. I am guessing malic acid, but that is just a shot in the dark. A more fruity raspberry flavor comes through later, but this is again a sour candy-like fruitiness and not the authentic and refreshing bright and fresh fruit as you find in Cantillon's young fruit lambics.

I don't know what it is about raspberries that make them seemingly poor fruits for aging with bugs for a long time, but this was the second year in a row that the raspberry sour (V006 last year) or lambic was the disappointment of the tasting. I would like to review this fresh, as I imagine that how it is meant to be consumed.

NittanyBeerFan, Apr 09, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -37.5%

2006 vintage
A: cloudy, murky pink/red dirty amber. nice off-white head.
S: i was surprised at how the raspberries jumped out despite the age on this. funkiness, earthiness, and barnyardy aromas mixed in.
T: remember those super sour candies some kid would dare you to eat as a kid? drop a raspberry flavored one in a shot of distilled vinegar and it might approach this, only i don't imagine that would be nearly as sour as this lambic. i didn't get much of the raspberry in the taste. very dry and the puckering sourness overwhelms. maybe a touch of residual sugar woulda helped this for me.
M: the intense sourness dried my mouth out and made me crave water. i felt like my teeth and tongue were power-washed with battery acid. the sourness lingered for an hour, even after trying to cleanse my mouth with a gumballhead, cigs, BCBS variants, and water. i did get a nice frothiness and liked the fine carbonation in this, however.
O: i want to be cool and like stuff like this, and will keep trying. if you're a fan of sours, i'm quite sure you think i'm an idiot and hate me right now. maybe this review will get reported and deleted like my thomas hardy's review. it's just my honest opinion, and i'm no expert. but i review as much for myself as for style, if not moreso.
many thanks to whoever shared this at the alewatcher/oreo tasting.

MrMcGibblets, Jun 27, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -37.5%

750ml (thanks to mrkanable) with 2005 on the neck and a bottling date in 2007. i was excited about this beer but the moment I smelled it I was disappointed. I have never smelled a beer this bad and I love funky lambics. This was not cheesy, it was not barnyard, it was not even horse-piss. This was rancid and putrid garbage. I think this was the worst beer I have ever smelled. The beer looked good, it was a cloudy reddish color. The taste was oddly pretty good despite the vomit and trash smell. I tasted funky lambic and raspberries like I expected. This was alsoa little more acidic that I would like but the smell is what killed the experience. I need to get a fresh bottle.

ArrogantB, Mar 07, 2010

ejimhof, Jul 27, 2013

Thedrizzle, Mar 31, 2013
3.1/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

Cantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise | 750 ml. | 5.0% ABV | 2006 vintage

Brewer: Brasserie Cantillon
Style: Lambic - Fruit
Glass: Oversized wine glass

Presentation:
Cantillon's stately bottles of beer could easily be confused for wine. The label art is very nice.

Appearance:
Gurgling reddish-pink with a towering head of pink fizz. Carbonation blasts up the sides of the glass.

Aroma:
Tart and sour -- mostly raspberry and sour fruit. As it warms, the oak seeps through nicely.

Taste:
Like getting slapped silly with a sour stick whilst rolling in a tub of the tartest raspberries ever to ferment in an oak barrel. My God! My mouth puckered like no other into a horrible grimace, dragging the other features along with it into a crumpled ball of agony and anguish.

Mouthfeel:
It's hard to judge such a quaint thing when your face has puckered in on itself. Smooth and light-bodied probably. There may have been crisp and ample carbonation.

Harmony:
Cacophony's more like it.

Would I get it again?:
I would cellar it for an additional four years, which would hopefully tame its wild side. I would get it again to run this foolhardy experiment.

Bottled: 2006
Served: June 24, 2010

BeerNemesis, Aug 22, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -29.8%

O'briens had the 2005 on tap during CBC.

This a sour tart bomb that is more vinegar than anything, and it completely killed my palette.
It looked good, had a nice aroma of fruit and the CO2. Very very slight hint of the yeast.

However, the moment the Pepe hit the tongue I could feel it melting the taste buds. Complex fruit is immediately overwhelmed by the acidity. Almost an astringent/medicinal character. I love sour and wild beers but this was absolutely too much. Keg get heated up too much? I don't know.
I had to pass off the chalice after a few sips. It took several pieces of water crackers and a glass of water to cleanse my mouth. Probably good for cleaning stuff. Disappointing since I love everything else I have had from Cantillon.

mrkrispy, Apr 23, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -29.4%

Draught @ DBA in New York City. Deep cranberry red color, with a lightish pink head. Extremely rich, authentic and elegant raspberry aroma, with an apple core aroma underneath. Upon tasting, it had a very unpleasant and distracting apple like lambic character in the blend, which to me, showed more applely lambic flavor, than raspberry fruit. I’m a lambic beginner, but it just seemed well, not very complex. Just like the Lou Pepe Kriek, I wish an older blend was used (rather than just two year), yielding more tartness, but my biggest complaint is the flavor of the lambic blend, not the fruit.

Crosling, Mar 16, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -25.4%

2007 vintage and the most expensive beer I have purchased to date at just shy of 30.00. Beautiful pour - A clear bright dark cherry color with a faint short lasting pink head. Aroma is all fresh, tart raspberries, not too sweet and vaguely woodsy. Nice. As for the rest... This may be the most sour beer I have ever tried to get down. If not, it was definitely in the running. Neither brett nor raspberry is noticeable. There is only a mouth-watering acidity, so aggressively harsh that my stomach began to recoil in horror at about the halfway point. I sat the remaining half bottle aside, to give my insides a chance to recuperate. I fully intended to have at least one more glass, but like most good intentions, I just never got around to it.

Please, for the love of god, share this beer with friends. This is a beer that should be enjoyed by the glass. Don't attempt to "man up" and consume this bottle by yourself. The results could be...troubling.

Onibubba, Mar 01, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -24.3%

Bottle, vintage 2004. Pours a deep red with a small white head. Aroma is quite funky with lots of old socks, blood (maybe a metallic aroma?), and a fruity tinge. Flavor of tart sourness, more funk and metallic notes, bandaid, and tons of yogurt. Like all Cantillons, super sour and hard to drink. I wasn't crazy about the flavors in this one, especially in comparison to other lambics.
7/4/7/3/15 (3.6/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Jan 10, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -23.2%

Vintage 2002, decanted

The Lou Pepe Framboise does exhibit a stronger fruit character than most Cantillon, as was the goal of this line of lambic, but is as dry and acidic as any other. The Brett character is sacrificed in this beer to mouthwatering tartness. And though much of this comes from the raspberries, I find it difficult really to distinguish the fruit character from the lambic itself. It is in what it isn't -- Lou Pepe Framboise is not earthy or woody -- but to say that this is a fruit bomb would be a huge overstatement.

The Framboise is still prototypically Cantillon with so much acidity that you'll think you're drinking an ulcer or a very, very tight wine. And by adding more fruit and sacrificing a lot of that classic funk, Cantillon has weakened the beer. The focus comes to be strictly on the intense, cheek-collapsing acid and parching dryness.

The sludge off of which this was decanted is much richer in raspberry aroma and a few drops of it into the glass yielded more body and a much more rounded lambic. But the brewer does suggest decanting.

Without the barnyard nose and earthy taste I've come to expect from Cantillon, this framboise is one-dimensional and, as a result, painful to drink. Among fruit lambics, Lindeman's pastuerized offerings are good at showing off pure fruit without the "wild" characteristics of lambic while Cantillon Kriek is a difficult but remarkable achievement of precisely what a fruit lambic ought to be. This one tries to walk the line, showcasing fruit but trying to maintain some historical integrity. Stripped of all its sugars, however, we don't seem to really be dealing with raspberries anymore and, stripped of funk, we aren't really dealing with Cantillon.

Relax, relax.
ng

ngandhi, May 04, 2004
3.5/5  rDev -22.7%

MacarthurParker, Jun 09, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -22.7%

brandoman63, Nov 20, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -22.1%

Bottle says 2003, Cork says 2005.

A: Pours a murky pinkish/orange color. At first a two finger pinkish head forms, but recedes almost instantly. No lace.
S: A very fruity aroma. Mostly tart and sour raspberries.. Some barnyard funkiness.
T: Again, sour and tart raspberries. Almost mouth puckering. A funkiness that follows the nose. Not bad, but not a lot of depth and too much sourness for my tastes.
M/D: A medium body and medium carbonation. Dry. The sourness makes this hard to drink.

This one did not do it for me like the Lou Pepe Kriek did. The subtle complexities that are in the Kriek are almost gone here. What is here is raspberries, sourness, and funk. Not that that is bad, just not the masterpiece the Kriek is.

champ103, Jan 10, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -22.1%

Shared a 2001 bottle with a friend. I have to say going in that I am new to this style. Needless to say, this is nothing like I have ever tasted, which is both good and bad, I guess.

A-Color is light port, ruby with a white head that slowly disapates into fine white lacing

S-Funky yeast flavor dominates, backdrop of raseberry, as the drink aerates raseberry becomes more assertive

T-Strong acidic bitter taste up front that dominates the palate, lingering sweetness with some traces of cider.

MF-Very acidic, tingling

D-The complexity and strong flavors of this one definately lend themselves to moderation

andrewmartin, Jun 29, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -19.9%

2008 vintage bottled and picked up on first trip to the brewery in Fall of 2010, in the cellar for about a year and a half.

A-Looks like raspberry juice, the pink head quickly breaks down.

S-The characteristic Cantillion aroma is here, can pick this smell out from other locations-something about that Brussels air. Lots of fresh picked raspberry aroma still present.

T-The first drink is upfront puckering with then turns into floral raspberries, which then is overtaken again by sourness.

M-A super quick finish, the end note is sour and a bit astringent. Thin bodied.

D-Too sour for me, the wife drank the bulk of this bottle.

O-This wasn't overally exciting for me. I am a bigger fan of the regular version.

deebo, Jun 17, 2012
3.68/5  rDev -18.8%

On tap

Light red, almost pink, no head, bubbles, medium carbonation

Smells sour, then like raspberry, then there's that Cantillon fishy smell way back in the distance, overall pleasant though

Tastes, sour, dry, a little watery, the raspberry is there, but not very pronounced, then a bitter acid sour aftertaste, this will wake you up.

Mouthfeel is light and bubbly

Overall drinkability is dependant on your predilection toward the super sour fruit taste and tolerance for the slightly funky smell and acid bitterness. If you like it sour then this will hit the spot.

stoner420, Aug 10, 2006
3.7/5  rDev -18.3%

Out of a corked, capped, and foiled bottle, 2006 vintage. Pours a dirty plum purple color with fizzy pale pink colored head that settled into a solid ring. The aroma is of raspberry puree with some light oak and lemon. Nice and fruity, wine like. The taste is of unripe raspberries and lemon, white vinegar, pepper, and oak. Very much a tart bomb. The feel is light and very carbonated; very tart and astringent. For folks that love tart bombs and very dry brews this is an A++ but it's just not my thing. I rated mouthfeel and drinkability at a 3 because of this.

Gmann, Sep 27, 2009

drewone, May 08, 2012

brez8791, Sep 09, 2012

CityofBals, Jan 31, 2013

Kelp, Jan 23, 2013
3.78/5  rDev -16.6%

Shared with Klym 750ml vintage 2008

Poured into Lost Abbey Tulip.

A: Fluffy rose pedal bubbles rise like cupcakes over the red valentine body of love. Very pretty looking beer, with a dainty femininity to it. Pinks and reds, like a sappy love letter. I think I'm in love. Really though, this is truly a great looking beer, I didn't know bubbles could be so pink. I could see some high class drinking sessions where everybody is looking dapper in suits while sipping on this cotton candy headed brew.

S: Some earthy dirt covered raspberries with some dusty leathers. The leathers smell sweet, like a dessert wine was spilled all over them. I take that back, the leather is literally soaked in muscat grape wines. A little bit of tart raspberry/cherry creeps up the nostrils. Really very subtlely woody and rosey throughout, a soft berry sniffer. The earthiness and berry-ness are intertwined.

T: Dusty rustic raspberries with tart juices instead of sweet ones. Not overly bitter in the tartness, but very puckeringly dry. Some oak dust rests on these tart berries like garnish of contrast. The dryness rushes in to leave you with a very raspberry like texture in the mouth. You really get the sensation like you are eating the manliest earthy raspberries, no real sweetness, just tartness and dirt. Not so much leather in the taste, as I think the sourness takes a flamethrower to any remaining subtle flavors.

M: This has almost no sensation of bubbles, but the body is solidly of a medium grade. There's a texture to the mouth that isn't so unlike the little hairy seeds on fresh organic raspberries. Soft and dry, but a very fine sensation of textured raspberries/blackberries/othersimilarlookingberries remains my final say. It's dry, but no cottonmouth.

O: Cantillon gives me an interesting framboise, but not one that's really that good. Earthiness instead of sweetness? Sounds fine to me; leather in the nose? Awesome....but this is a framboise where raspberries should reign supreme. The raspberries may have reigned over this bottle at some point, but honestly the sensations of tartness and eventually sourness overwhelmed a subtle berry note. The beer looks and feels of quality; it even smelled of a promising interpretation. However, the taste ultimately is dominated by sensations rather than flavors. Perhaps my bottle wasn't the best, but it was by no means compromised beyond reason. If I was to just see someone drinking this beer I'd have been infinitely jealous; having tasted it: not so much. The visual and smells keep this in the realm of respectability.

Cavery, Jul 18, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -15%

Served in a Cantillon tumbler.

A: Very hazy bright pink with a small off white/light pink head.

S: Appealing smell of tart raspberries and not much else.

T: Very tart and refreshing with some mildy winey flavors.

M: Puckery, acidic, and white wine dry.

D: An exercise in true lambic but a little too acidic for my palate. I bet if I spent more time with Cantillon lambics I would see a gradual acceptance of the sourness.

GbVDave, Feb 18, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -15%

2007 vintage

A-pours a bright ruby red color with an extremely light pink colored bubbly head.

S-the nose has a hint of earthy mushroom funk to it, light sweeter oak presence, the fruits are rather bright and the raspberry is seedy and fresh, it has a hint of tartness.

T-the taste is slightly muted in comparison to the nose. the acidity picks up in the finish and detracts from the brightness of the fresh raspberries. the funk is up front and well integrated with a note of oak and earthy flavors. the rapberry in back starts sweet but the acidity really presents a problem for it to push through.

M-medium bodied beer with a slightly syrupy feel to it and high carbonation with a very dry finish.

D-put up against many other lambics and sour raspberry ales, the acidity of some of these, including this one, take away from the juicy fruit flavors you get in the nose. the integration is done very well but this would probably be best drank fresh.

2004 Vintage drank 4/10

A-pours a completely hazed orangish amber color with an egg white head the is creamy and fluffy in appearance

S-the nose is tart and sour up front with notes of acidity, a touch of lactose and funk. Tons of tart raspberries in the back.

T-this is acidic and tart, sour raspberries take over with notes of earthy musk underneath. Hints of vinegar and a light bitterness, tons of tartness at the finish.

M-medium to full body that is smooth on the palate with some light bitterness. Nice strong carbonation presence giving a good crisp finish.

D-this is tasty and tart, nice flavors and lots of raspberries. Great Brew

cpetrone84, May 03, 2010