Cantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise - Brasserie Cantillon

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 11-03-2003

Reviews: 263 | Hads: 1,050
4.37/5  rDev -0.2%

750 ml bottle, 2008 vintage, poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a dark red color, topped with a big fluffy pinkish head, great retention and spotty lacing..

S- Lots of delicious raspberry aroma, acidic tartness, wood and musty, earthy funk.

T- Powerful lactic tartness followed by juicy raspberries, slightly bitter raspberry skin. Beneath is a solid layer of musty, horsey funk with wood and tannins.

M- Light-bodied, nice bubbly carbonation, has a super-acidic and dry, tannic feel.

O- A great framboise, it's massively sour, even for Cantillon, which I really like. This is probably the oldest fruit lambic I've had from Cantillon, who I know recommends drinking these young, but even a few years out this is drinking damn nicely. (739 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to Kyle for contributing this to New Beer Sunday. Served in a Hopleaf tulip glass. 2005 Vintage. My notes on this one are a little shorter as it was the last beer I reviewed in a long session.

A - Two and a half fingers of pink-white foam with solid retention. Absolutely no lace, but a nice cap of foam that lingers for a bit. Opaque pink-brown brew.

S - Tons of vinegar, brett-y funk, raspberries, horse blanket, and musty barn. Utterly huge smell that almost attacks the senses.

T - Huge sourness, with sweet raspberry puree right at the tip of the tongue. Lots of funk and a light graham-cracker maltiness that holds things together.

M - Super drying, tons of cotton mouth, light to medium body, moderate carbonation. More extreme in mouth pucker than even La Folie!

D - So sour - even with low ABV it's hard to have more than a a serving or two. I appreciate that Dave had the Pepto out just in case of emergency.

Looking forward to my trip to Belgium this summer... (984 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -0.2%

750ml bottle shared by Phatz for his sour beer tasting • 2004 Bottling • Poured into a taster

Appearance: Pours a ruby red color with a little bit of carbonation and some lacing. as with other lambics, plenty of clinging bubbless.

Smell: Funky, horseblanket of aromas, much like a barnyard. Raspberry and wood are very present as well.

Taste: Much like the smell, the taste is loaded with raspberry, in a tart way. There is minimal carbonation here, with cherry tartness that lurks around in my mouth.

Mouthfeel: Intensely tart and sour. You have to be ready for something like this before you go off playing around. Otherwise, the beer has a mellowing effect on myself and my senses. Sublime I guess you would call it.

Drinkability: Not an every day drinker by any means. This beer would best be served as an aperitif or perhaps a digestif depending on the meal and courses. This beer would get consumed more if it weren't for the heavy price tag. (966 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Lou Pepe Framboise '11 Vintage

Pours a very saturated, burgundy red color, with a soon disappating, fizzy head.

Exhibit a fantastic smelling nose, with a very pronounced raspberry presence, blending perfectly into the tart acidity of the beer, establishing a reminiscence of young berries and young, fermented wine. Barnyard funk mingles together with prickly raspberry stones, tied together by a sweet, fruity undertone, exhibiting a gentle depth to the aromas.

Has a medium carbonation and a very soft mouthfeel, with raspberry at every stage of drinking.

Tastes of unripe raspberries right from the beginning, wrapped up in leaves, moldy earth and tart funk - wild berries on an abandoned road during rain. This changes, as an earthy sweetness adds to the raspberries spending them a ripe note, including prickly, still sour stones. This fruity sweetness then stays on par with the bitterness on the palate till the finish, with the berries exhibiting a dusty earth note anong ripened, slightly fermented raspberry pulp, leaving behind a slick sourness.

The balance between ripe and young, sour raspberries, finding their quintessence in between, makes this beer noteworthy, featuring a lot of subtle Barnyard nuances. (1,228 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

750ml into a Cantillon tulip. 2008 bottle.

A: Pours a light ruby with a gigantic light pink head. This bottle is super-carbonated.

S: Beautiful assertive raspberry in the nose. Fragrant, sour, must, seed, rotted wood.

T: Lots of oak, sour raspberry skin, wet hay, lactic, very acidic, slight notes of vanilla and wheat. Very sour.

M: Light-bodied, frothy carbonation.

O: This isn't a fresh bottle, but it isn't exactly old either - I'm glad the fruit component is still bright. Plenty of funk in the nose, too. Awesome framboise. (534 characters)

bottle at hosers 17/7/11

A a little hazy pinky salmon liquid with a short lived light pink head that leaves little lace, I gotta admit that the color is seductive

S mild funk with tart raspberry, a little jammy but earthy at the same time

T not completely dry but close too it, what I smell is in the mouth and I'm not sure if I pick up some wet dog or if this dog breathing on me is mucking up my pallet, I get the tart raspberry but I also get some sour cherry somehow

M oh so tart, lip licking pucker sour with an aftertaste I'll need floss to get rid of

O solid lambic for sure perhaps a little above my level of understanding, I'm learning to love sour funk

I'm still a little confused by the style but I'm enjoying this learning experience (752 characters)

On tap at the hopleaf.

Pours like a lambic. Dark Fruit Roll-Up red with a tiny white head and little patches of bubbly bubbles.

Smells like candied raspberries. It's nice, but there's no huge lambic presence like I was expecting, no yeast funk or anything.

Tastes.. YEE OW! Calm start, the candied raspberries of the nose. But then the back is this wonderful kick of sour deathfunk yeast and perfectly permented sweet and sour fruit and big bursts of heaven. Wonderful. (478 characters)

4.34/5  rDev -0.9%

2006 vintage at Ebenezer's Belgian Fest, reviewed from notes.

A- Pink-red, served in my (now broken) commemorative glass for the festival. No head at all and a small ring and cloud, murky.

S- Like a gueze with some acetic. High sour is sensed. Fruit really becomes prevalent as it warms, amazing raspberry tart.

T- Better with warmth again. VERY sour. Acetic start with a great super tart raspberry finish.

MF- Light, oily low carbonated body. Smooth carbs. Sour level makes the tongue and cheek ache. Slightly creamy.

DB- Great raspberry flavor but especially aroma. The vinegar is there but enjoyable. Hard to resist a Cantillon vintage, almost always going to be a great experience. (690 characters)

4.34/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Initially listed this review under the Kriek by accident. Phew.

2007 Vintage, Bottled September 2009

When I first breached the cork there was loads of vinegar to be smelt.

Red colour. Not much head but there's ample carbonation.

Smell is field and wild and cooked mushrooms. Very pleasant funk to this one, nothing potentially disagreeable in here. Does remind me a bit of Lindemans sweetened Lambics in the nose profile though. There's lemon and herbs and really savoury vegetables. Ripe/overripe/fermenting fruit. Honeycomb, malt and carob. Cherries and roses. Smell does get a bit more faecal and organic as I get down the bottle.

Taste is more mushrooms and sweet potato. A pleasant sourness with the tiniest sweet touch. Not cloying at all in either direction. Something about this beer makes me think of regional French cooking, in a really good way. It's like there's garlic in the nose and taste. This beer is deeply interesting.

Mouthfeel is nice. Bubbly and tickly.

I was a bit put off initially by the nose profile but lying behind it is a delicious, drinkable and complex beer. I would love to get more of this. (1,130 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

2001 vintage, just like the picture.

Appearance: Brownish and quite murky, like most Cantillons the head was lively at first but died off rapidly.

Smell: Crush some sour, unripe raspberries, stick that jam into a well used baseball glove and leave it between two bales of hay during a rainy October and that's what this Beer smells like. I kid you not.

Taste: A bit more fruity than a kriek, but the difference is almost negligible. The acidity beats up your tongue and bullies your taste buds for it's lunch money. Like the Parliament Funkadelic is jamming in my mouth! (579 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

2001 and 2002 vintages side-by-side @ the pre-Toronado 24th Anniversary tasting. I brought the 2002, but forget who brought the 2001. Poured into two mini-snifters.

A - Pours a pinkish red color, pink fizzy head, thin collar, thin cap.

S - Sharp sour/tartness, raspberries are still there for the most part, lots of barn, very funky, lots of acidity. My nose turns inside out with each sniff.

T - Raspberry purée, lots of sharp sour/tart funkiness, slight oak. Surprised how well the fruit notes have held up after all these years. An utter onslaught of raspberries, sour, and funk.

M - Light, fizzy carbonation, super dry finish.

O - I thought both 2001 and 2002 were pretty close, taste wise. I didn't prefer one over the other, both were excellent. I'll have to open a more recent vintage and compare. A must-try. (822 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -1.4%

On tap at Ebenezer's- 2005 vintage. have tried one of the three Cantillons each time I have been there this week- sweet!
Pours a clear reddish/purple with no head, just some small bubbles of carbonation up the side of the wine glass.
Smells of rasberries, mostly, but some barnyard and some sour cherries and apples.
Taste is similiar to smell- lots o fsweet rasberry with the tartness of sour fruits as well. Little bit of red wine flavor as well. Quite refreshing, though. Little bit of spritz in there. Not as hardcore as I thought. Very good. (547 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -1.4%

I consider myself fortunate any time I get Cantillion on tap and this was another one of those occasions.This beer was quite cloudy, as it should be. There was definitely a nice dark raspberry hue to the beer, also to be expected. The fragrance definitely contained the expected yeasty aromas with the sweet/tartness of the raspberries, also VERY good things in my book! I have come to anticipate a certain character from Cantillion and I was definitely not let down. The taste was as wonderful as I had hoped. Nice yeastiness to it as well as a delicate raspberry taste. The only reason it did not do better in the drinkability is because I may only want one, but would savour it as I did have that one. I wish I did not see that this is listed as "limited edition"!! Enjoy!! (776 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -1.4%

It pours a rich fruit-punch red, with pinkish lights along the edges. Two fingers of light pink head swells at the tap but disappears to thin air by the time it gets to me. One single ring of lacing halos the dropping liquid.

The aroma is of the earth, with yeast and funk, horse and hay, wet and musty, and overseen by the lord of it all, the mighty fresh raspberry, both sweet and tart, but with an acidic blade that punches the fruit home.

Upon sipping, the dense earthiness again makes first play, with the sour funky attitude bouncing off the deep candied sweetness of the raspberries, with the result a densely tart, citric pucker, the cheeks sucked in, the tongue ravaged, and the nose wrinkled. The fading glory is more reminiscent of grapes, not quite vinous but stately as opposed to juicy. A distant florality graces the sour but prompt finish. It's fruity and might lead you to expect something more conservative, but woe is the one who believes that for even a moment, because it's a fine, sour saucy lambic.

Light of body, there's a sense of carbonation and a dry impression that clean the palate after each mouthful.

The guy I was with insisted on trying it, and far be it from me to dissuade him. The instant response was no way, this is not my kind of beer. My wife didn't like it. Some guy I didn't know asked me how I can drink it. I replied, with relish. More for me, lads and lassies, and for anyone who wants to enjoy a sour fruity back-to-the-soil basicness that gives a good lambic its soul. Granted, it takes a couple glasses of water to get my cheeks puffed back out where they belong, but what a wonderful sipper this is. Sure, it's not for everyone, but it is for me. (1,711 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -1.4%

Chilled bottle into a glass. 2007 vintage (made with 2009 harvest), purchased at the brewery and shared with some friends in London. The brewer remarked that this year's fruit crop was excellent. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a hazy magenta color in the glass, with a frothy pink head that reveals its high effervescence. Retention is poor, as expected for this style, and the final result is a thin halo with no lacing down the sides.

S: Tart, slightly sour raspberry notes hit the nose first. They are joined by oak, leather, must, and whispers of barnyard funk.

T: Starts off seemingly sweet with a raspberry-dominated flavor, but it reveals itself to be tart, sour, very well attenuated, and uber-dry, nearly burning in the back of the throat. Swirling in the mouth and sampling the beer's myriad flavors turns up a woodsy flavor, leather, and hints hay / must / horse blanket.

M: Acidic and cuttingly dry, reminding us of potential heartburn problems. Light-bodied and lively.

D: Out of the 3 Lou Pepes I opened, this was our least favorite. An excellent and complex flavor, but more austerely dry than any of us really preferred. I'd get it again but I would pair it with food. (1,193 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -1.4%

I drank this 2005 vintage from the bottle into a champagne glass.

This lambic pours a medium pink/violet with about 2 inches of light pink head. The retention is poor as it falls within a minute. The lacing is light and watery.

The aroma is wonderful. There is the great funky horse blanket similar to what you get with the Saint Lamvinus, but this is far superior to the SL because it rewards you with great notes of sweet raspberries to balance out the tart.

The taste is also equally balanced rewarding the drinker with tartness and just enough sweetnes that a true lambic follower is looking for to enhance the drinkability. The first sip is lightly sweet with a raspberries and finishes with lots of sourness.

The mouthfeel is heavy and full and coats your mouth and makes you pucker.

Because this is so balanced its exceedingly drinkable for something so tart.

Overall, this is a great beer. I would seek this out and cellar it for up 20 years as recommended on the bottle. (987 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance: Pours a deep, hazy amber-red. Well carbonated, nice pink head.

Smell: HUGE, woody raspberry smell. Incredibly intense and sour. Bit of must, leather, wood, and hay.

Taste: Incredibly tart & sour, perhaps the most sour/tart beer I have ever encountered. Huge fruit as well, it is sweet but not unpleasantly so. The wood seems to add a good bit.

Mouthfeel: Very well carbonated, perhaps a bit too much so. Tannins and sugar give it a big mouthfeel

Drinkability: Drinkable, but I prefer the Kriek version (although this is better than Rose de Gambrinus, which I find to be a bit thin/watery). This one is a slow sipper. (632 characters)

4.31/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On cask at Moeder Lambic on 4/7/2013. Pours a beautiful raspberry hue, slightly hazy in clarity, with a fluffy, cloud-like, light pink head similar to the color of cotton candy. Nose expresses citrus, rind, cork and a wisp of raspberry essence at the back. Taste consistent with nose - no real surprises here. Citric acid is very assertive in the flavor profile. Mouthfeel is light in body, puckeringly tart and lightly stimulates the salivary glands. Overall, a very good fruit lambic; however, I'd like to have had a little more raspberry flavor. (548 characters)

4.31/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2003 vintage

I haven't had too many cantillons, but they impressed me again with this one. Gonna try to get my hands on as many as possible.

A: looked like a burnt orange color, or a sunset

S: pure garbage, literally, smells like garbage juice that Illuminates? the room. awesome, can't wait to drink it.

T: sour as can be, you feel it in the back of your mouth. "stings the nostrils" the aftertaste is quite exceptional.

M: medium and mild carbonation

D: Right before my son Thomas tasted it, he said, "I have a feeling i'm gonna really like this one." He took a sip and the face he made was priceless, just pure sourness. He said it was awful, but then said "wow, that was bad but also very good. I think I'll take another sip." perfect description. (757 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Complete vertical (01 - 09 based on sticker) shared by Mr. Bubbler on his b-day. The following is a comparison and rating is based on the average score of all:

A: Ranged from 3.5 to 4.5. Pours a pinkish red (older) to reddish pink (younger) all with a pink head which varied from almost nothing (02 and 03) to quite foamy (07). Lace was generally trace.

N: Ranged from 3.5 to 4.5. Varied from a vibrant bright fruit (09) to just slightly (03) notable. Younger bottles were much less funky and musty compared to the older ones which were more wild and earthy.

T: Range from 4.0 to 5.0. Plenty of basic moldy, chessy funk in all. Tartness more evident in older bottles. Some lemon present in 06. Intense sourness in 02. Surprise was 01 still fruity.

M: Range from 3.5 to 4.5. Semi-moderate body consistent across all bottles. Carbonation varied from foamy to nearly nothing. Tart to very sour and puckering. Cheesy, musty, dusty, earthy dry finish not so varied but older bottles generally tasted "older".

O: Range from 4.0 to 5.0. Highlights included the fresh fruit of the 09, the intense sourness of the 02, and the still wonderful 01. Very fortunate to have been a part of this event. Thanks and happy b-day Mr. B. (1,221 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

2004 vintage. Thanks Hart for sharing this!

A-Body is a very translucent, foggy, amber hue with a slight pinkish tint to it. Pours with a fizzy one finger white head that fades pretty quickly.

S- Nose is good and complex. The highlights are slightly tart raspberries and a big acidic sourness. Also noticeable are a hint of vinegar, a slight sweetness, and bready yeast.

T-Flavor is quite tart and offers slightly tart raspberries and a big acidic sourness with a nice bready yeast backbone. A hint of raspberry sweetness comes through for the finish which is a culmination of the initial flavors with an added salty component.

M-Acidic and sour, with low to medium carbonation and medium weight body. Quite good.

D- This is a great lambic. I wish I would have gotten into Cantillon earlier! This is a great sour that offers lots of authentic raspberry flavors and is quite tart. (884 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -2.5%

2007 Edition, from a 750 ml green bottle, capped and corked. Fizzy pink head on the pour that quickly subsides. Cloudy, somewhat murky deep garnet hue.

Sour, tart and sweet raspberry characteristics in the aroma, some acidity and funk in the background.

Acidic and tart raspberry in the flavour which sweetens up a bit in the middle, with a sour funk on the finish. Some bready malt rises up well into the aftertaste, almost but not quite replacing the acidity.

Medium-bodied, slick and sticky texture, with a moderate amount of carbonation.

Enjoyed this one much more than the Kriek, perhaps the raspberries marry better with the style and blending a bit more based on their inherent nature. Definitely one to pick up if it's available, the fruit does this one justice. (774 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2002 bottling.
The first half of the bottle pours a clear, resonant, cherry juice brown, capped by a fizzy, sputtering head that dies away immediately like cola. Amazing color, very pretty. The remaining pours get steadily hazier, until the last dregs are an opaque, purplish, brick red mud. I wasn't that brave. The aroma is bitingly acidic, lightly tinted with raspberry essence. Funky and wild, with notes of aged swiss cheese and crabapple. Very complex and farmy. The flavor is immediately and unequivocally tart. Sour with just the slightest bit of give to keep your eyes from watering. The raspberry flavor comes through mostly in the end. It's sort of a raspberry apology for what your tastebuds just went through. Funky and wild through and through, very acidic with little in the way of sweetness or bitterness. Moldy and bacterial, with light cheesy sharpness and vinegar notes. Light on the tongue, with fizzy, energetic carbonation that carries the flavors well. Very challenging and unique. Delicious, but the sourness gets almost painful after half a bottle. Funny, because I recall easily splitting a bottle of the Fou'foune with the old lady, and that's one of their most intense. Something to share with a couple friends. Hopefully they chip in on the big pricetag, too! (1,289 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -2.5%

2002 label 2004 cork- Thanks to translucent for this one!

Pours a light layer of pink hued white head. Color is a grapefruit ruby red.

Aroma: Huge raspberry! Crazy for being that old. Dusty, musty raspberries. Very funky and fruity. Cobwebs and wet basement. Oak barrels show as well.

Taste: This is one the sourest beers I have ever had... more sour than Riserva '10. Just intense. Mouth puckering. Oak flavors shows. It also has an old, musty flavor. Cobweb and basement. Vinegar. The raspberries don't show as much, but I still taste the fruit. Big acidic kick! So intense.

Mouthfeel: Sour, tart, intense. Lighter bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. Ends pretty clean.

Overall, this was a great beer. It was amazingly sour and tart. So mouth-watering. A very well done beer. Cantiloon has done it again! (818 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2010 vintage from bottle at ChurchKey for 2013 Zwanze Day. Tumbler glass.

A: Pours a bright purple color, crystal clarity, with light pinkish purple foam. Excellent retention though little lacing.

S: Bright juicy raspberry, horse blanket funk, some malt.

T: Lightly tart, slight tannins, raspberry is more restrained than the nose, with a mild sweetness rounding out the flavor.

M: Medium body and medium-light, smoothish carbonation.

O: Solid though not exceptional. Not as fruit forward as I would like, but complex and well integrated. Maybe I would prefer a fresh bottle. (581 characters)

Cantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise from Brasserie Cantillon