Join our email list →

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 11-03-2003

Reviews: 270 | Hads: 1,130
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2008 vintage poured at Zwanze Day

Pours red/pink with a big pink bubbly head. Low retention although there was some lacing around the edges.

Great funky raspberry aroma. Funky and tart with a little fruity sweetness.

Lots of raspberry flavor in this one. Very sweet up front until some of the funk hits mid-palate. Finishes with some tasty raspberry tartness. Straight up sourness isn't as high in this as some other Cantillons, but it's still funky and the raspberry tartness makes up for it.

Well carbonated and creamy mouthfeel. Spot on for Cantillon.

I normally don't like Framboises too much, but was really surprised by this one (probably the first time I've ever had it on a clean palate). Liked it better than the other LP beers and glad I still have a bottle left in the cellar.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured a very nice reddish pink with a beautiful pink-hued head that lasted throughout the glass.

S: Lots of raspberries in this vintage with a nice bit of sweetness from the raspberries paired with a bit of tartness and quite a bit of lactic acid, seemingly much more so than in the LP Kriek.

T: Quite tart with a bit of sweetness. Not much acetic acid, not getting any vinegar taste like with Saint Lamnivus. Much more on the lactic side of things. Not much funk, but overall very delicious.

M: Very nice. I've gotten quite used to all types of sour, but this one actually stung my tongue quite a bit. Lots of carbonation.

D: Extremely drinkable. Low abv, very complex, and an all-around nice sipper.

4.38/5  rDev -1.1%

A: 1" of foamy light magenta head over dark magenta liquid.

S: Oak, yeast and raspberries.

T: Oak, yeast, tartness, some earthiness and sour raspberries in the finish.

M: Thin viscosity, a medium level of carbonation and some dry tartness.

O: More woody than fruity in this case, I prefer the Lou Pepe Kriek but this is still tasty.

4.37/5  rDev -1.4%

I picked up a 750ML bottle of Cantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise for $24 at State Line Liquors in Elkton MD. I had the opportunity to share it with phnphilly, Slatetank, Risser09, and gottajiboo2.

It was interesting. This was one of the first beers of the night and I thought wow this is really sour. Later when we came back to it. I really appreciated the deep rich fruit flavors and amount of depth that showed through all the intense funk in this beautiful beer.

Initially my wife thought she would like a raspberry beer. She didn't. This is not a transition beer. It is not a fruity for the timid. It is a serious sour done just right.

Appearance: Pours a red color with w fluffy white head that has hints of pink and finally fades to a pick color around that glass. Heavy lacing.

Smell: Raspberries galore. Bold tart raspberries absolutely sour and yet like putting your face in a plate full of squishy overripe berries. At the same time is is wine like, and certainly sour horse blanket musty leather old rotten wooden barrel aromas as well.

Taste: It is exactly like the nose but bigger now in the mouth with rich sour raspberries overripe grapes, lemon peels with an intense pucker effect like sucking on a lemon but it is a woody funky fruity flavor. MARVELOUS!

Mouthfeel: Sharp intense sour makes it a bit rough through the mouth at first but the aftertaste it so magnificent you rush right back into that bubbly babe of beer.

Drinkability: I've got drink it nice and easy but slow and steady wins the race every time, and though it may be a rough ride I enjoy every second of it. I repeat this is a fruit beer! It is a real Lambic with fruit.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.37/5  rDev -1.4%

On tap at Nova Res Cafe in Portland. Served in a bowl-ish Pinot wine glass.

Very streamlined presentation in the wine glass. Body is light raspberry red - almost glistening with a fair amount of pinkish or rose carbonation. Head is rather minimalist. Just what the doctor ordered.

Beautifully funky scent of sour, unsweetened raspberries mixed with a great Brett-ish funk. Not so heavy on the blunt horse blanket scent but more of a light poignancy with a little pine thrown in.

Taste profile is extremely clean. The tight sourness mixes nicely with raspberry essence to produce a beautiful lambic here. Finish is still very tight from piney texture and barrel character - almost as dry as balsa wood, but this is one of the classics.

Palate feel makes one pucker. Of course the sourness is overwhelming but it's done in a very clean and tight manner and doesn't negate the light dry sweetness of the raspberries. This one has a great deal of spring in its step.

I've taken a shine to the Cantillon lambics on tap ever since experiencing Fou Fonne at Deep Ellum. This one is just as enjoyable - maybe even a little more fruit character. Sure, it's tight and the funk and acidity slow it down a little bit, but who's to argue that this isn't one of the best?

4.37/5  rDev -1.4%

750 ml bottle, 2008 vintage, poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a dark red color, topped with a big fluffy pinkish head, great retention and spotty lacing..

S- Lots of delicious raspberry aroma, acidic tartness, wood and musty, earthy funk.

T- Powerful lactic tartness followed by juicy raspberries, slightly bitter raspberry skin. Beneath is a solid layer of musty, horsey funk with wood and tannins.

M- Light-bodied, nice bubbly carbonation, has a super-acidic and dry, tannic feel.

O- A great framboise, it's massively sour, even for Cantillon, which I really like. This is probably the oldest fruit lambic I've had from Cantillon, who I know recommends drinking these young, but even a few years out this is drinking damn nicely.

4.37/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to Kyle for contributing this to New Beer Sunday. Served in a Hopleaf tulip glass. 2005 Vintage. My notes on this one are a little shorter as it was the last beer I reviewed in a long session.

A - Two and a half fingers of pink-white foam with solid retention. Absolutely no lace, but a nice cap of foam that lingers for a bit. Opaque pink-brown brew.

S - Tons of vinegar, brett-y funk, raspberries, horse blanket, and musty barn. Utterly huge smell that almost attacks the senses.

T - Huge sourness, with sweet raspberry puree right at the tip of the tongue. Lots of funk and a light graham-cracker maltiness that holds things together.

M - Super drying, tons of cotton mouth, light to medium body, moderate carbonation. More extreme in mouth pucker than even La Folie!

D - So sour - even with low ABV it's hard to have more than a a serving or two. I appreciate that Dave had the Pepto out just in case of emergency.

Looking forward to my trip to Belgium this summer...

4.37/5  rDev -1.4%

750ml bottle shared by Phatz for his sour beer tasting • 2004 Bottling • Poured into a taster

Appearance: Pours a ruby red color with a little bit of carbonation and some lacing. as with other lambics, plenty of clinging bubbless.

Smell: Funky, horseblanket of aromas, much like a barnyard. Raspberry and wood are very present as well.

Taste: Much like the smell, the taste is loaded with raspberry, in a tart way. There is minimal carbonation here, with cherry tartness that lurks around in my mouth.

Mouthfeel: Intensely tart and sour. You have to be ready for something like this before you go off playing around. Otherwise, the beer has a mellowing effect on myself and my senses. Sublime I guess you would call it.

Drinkability: Not an every day drinker by any means. This beer would best be served as an aperitif or perhaps a digestif depending on the meal and courses. This beer would get consumed more if it weren't for the heavy price tag.

4.37/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Lou Pepe Framboise '11 Vintage

Pours a very saturated, burgundy red color, with a soon disappating, fizzy head.

Exhibit a fantastic smelling nose, with a very pronounced raspberry presence, blending perfectly into the tart acidity of the beer, establishing a reminiscence of young berries and young, fermented wine. Barnyard funk mingles together with prickly raspberry stones, tied together by a sweet, fruity undertone, exhibiting a gentle depth to the aromas.

Has a medium carbonation and a very soft mouthfeel, with raspberry at every stage of drinking.

Tastes of unripe raspberries right from the beginning, wrapped up in leaves, moldy earth and tart funk - wild berries on an abandoned road during rain. This changes, as an earthy sweetness adds to the raspberries spending them a ripe note, including prickly, still sour stones. This fruity sweetness then stays on par with the bitterness on the palate till the finish, with the berries exhibiting a dusty earth note anong ripened, slightly fermented raspberry pulp, leaving behind a slick sourness.

The balance between ripe and young, sour raspberries, finding their quintessence in between, makes this beer noteworthy, featuring a lot of subtle Barnyard nuances.

4.35/5  rDev -1.8%

750ml into a Cantillon tulip. 2008 bottle.

A: Pours a light ruby with a gigantic light pink head. This bottle is super-carbonated.

S: Beautiful assertive raspberry in the nose. Fragrant, sour, must, seed, rotted wood.

T: Lots of oak, sour raspberry skin, wet hay, lactic, very acidic, slight notes of vanilla and wheat. Very sour.

M: Light-bodied, frothy carbonation.

O: This isn't a fresh bottle, but it isn't exactly old either - I'm glad the fruit component is still bright. Plenty of funk in the nose, too. Awesome framboise.

bottle at hosers 17/7/11

A a little hazy pinky salmon liquid with a short lived light pink head that leaves little lace, I gotta admit that the color is seductive

S mild funk with tart raspberry, a little jammy but earthy at the same time

T not completely dry but close too it, what I smell is in the mouth and I'm not sure if I pick up some wet dog or if this dog breathing on me is mucking up my pallet, I get the tart raspberry but I also get some sour cherry somehow

M oh so tart, lip licking pucker sour with an aftertaste I'll need floss to get rid of

O solid lambic for sure perhaps a little above my level of understanding, I'm learning to love sour funk

I'm still a little confused by the style but I'm enjoying this learning experience

On tap at the hopleaf.

Pours like a lambic. Dark Fruit Roll-Up red with a tiny white head and little patches of bubbly bubbles.

Smells like candied raspberries. It's nice, but there's no huge lambic presence like I was expecting, no yeast funk or anything.

Tastes.. YEE OW! Calm start, the candied raspberries of the nose. But then the back is this wonderful kick of sour deathfunk yeast and perfectly permented sweet and sour fruit and big bursts of heaven. Wonderful.

4.34/5  rDev -2%

2006 vintage at Ebenezer's Belgian Fest, reviewed from notes.

A- Pink-red, served in my (now broken) commemorative glass for the festival. No head at all and a small ring and cloud, murky.

S- Like a gueze with some acetic. High sour is sensed. Fruit really becomes prevalent as it warms, amazing raspberry tart.

T- Better with warmth again. VERY sour. Acetic start with a great super tart raspberry finish.

MF- Light, oily low carbonated body. Smooth carbs. Sour level makes the tongue and cheek ache. Slightly creamy.

DB- Great raspberry flavor but especially aroma. The vinegar is there but enjoyable. Hard to resist a Cantillon vintage, almost always going to be a great experience.

4.34/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Initially listed this review under the Kriek by accident. Phew.

2007 Vintage, Bottled September 2009

When I first breached the cork there was loads of vinegar to be smelt.

Red colour. Not much head but there's ample carbonation.

Smell is field and wild and cooked mushrooms. Very pleasant funk to this one, nothing potentially disagreeable in here. Does remind me a bit of Lindemans sweetened Lambics in the nose profile though. There's lemon and herbs and really savoury vegetables. Ripe/overripe/fermenting fruit. Honeycomb, malt and carob. Cherries and roses. Smell does get a bit more faecal and organic as I get down the bottle.

Taste is more mushrooms and sweet potato. A pleasant sourness with the tiniest sweet touch. Not cloying at all in either direction. Something about this beer makes me think of regional French cooking, in a really good way. It's like there's garlic in the nose and taste. This beer is deeply interesting.

Mouthfeel is nice. Bubbly and tickly.

I was a bit put off initially by the nose profile but lying behind it is a delicious, drinkable and complex beer. I would love to get more of this.

4.33/5  rDev -2.3%

2001 vintage, just like the picture.

Appearance: Brownish and quite murky, like most Cantillons the head was lively at first but died off rapidly.

Smell: Crush some sour, unripe raspberries, stick that jam into a well used baseball glove and leave it between two bales of hay during a rainy October and that's what this Beer smells like. I kid you not.

Taste: A bit more fruity than a kriek, but the difference is almost negligible. The acidity beats up your tongue and bullies your taste buds for it's lunch money. Like the Parliament Funkadelic is jamming in my mouth!

4.33/5  rDev -2.3%

2001 and 2002 vintages side-by-side @ the pre-Toronado 24th Anniversary tasting. I brought the 2002, but forget who brought the 2001. Poured into two mini-snifters.

A - Pours a pinkish red color, pink fizzy head, thin collar, thin cap.

S - Sharp sour/tartness, raspberries are still there for the most part, lots of barn, very funky, lots of acidity. My nose turns inside out with each sniff.

T - Raspberry purée, lots of sharp sour/tart funkiness, slight oak. Surprised how well the fruit notes have held up after all these years. An utter onslaught of raspberries, sour, and funk.

M - Light, fizzy carbonation, super dry finish.

O - I thought both 2001 and 2002 were pretty close, taste wise. I didn't prefer one over the other, both were excellent. I'll have to open a more recent vintage and compare. A must-try.

4.32/5  rDev -2.5%

On tap at Ebenezer's- 2005 vintage. have tried one of the three Cantillons each time I have been there this week- sweet!
Pours a clear reddish/purple with no head, just some small bubbles of carbonation up the side of the wine glass.
Smells of rasberries, mostly, but some barnyard and some sour cherries and apples.
Taste is similiar to smell- lots o fsweet rasberry with the tartness of sour fruits as well. Little bit of red wine flavor as well. Quite refreshing, though. Little bit of spritz in there. Not as hardcore as I thought. Very good.

4.32/5  rDev -2.5%

I consider myself fortunate any time I get Cantillion on tap and this was another one of those occasions.This beer was quite cloudy, as it should be. There was definitely a nice dark raspberry hue to the beer, also to be expected. The fragrance definitely contained the expected yeasty aromas with the sweet/tartness of the raspberries, also VERY good things in my book! I have come to anticipate a certain character from Cantillion and I was definitely not let down. The taste was as wonderful as I had hoped. Nice yeastiness to it as well as a delicate raspberry taste. The only reason it did not do better in the drinkability is because I may only want one, but would savour it as I did have that one. I wish I did not see that this is listed as "limited edition"!! Enjoy!!

4.32/5  rDev -2.5%

It pours a rich fruit-punch red, with pinkish lights along the edges. Two fingers of light pink head swells at the tap but disappears to thin air by the time it gets to me. One single ring of lacing halos the dropping liquid.

The aroma is of the earth, with yeast and funk, horse and hay, wet and musty, and overseen by the lord of it all, the mighty fresh raspberry, both sweet and tart, but with an acidic blade that punches the fruit home.

Upon sipping, the dense earthiness again makes first play, with the sour funky attitude bouncing off the deep candied sweetness of the raspberries, with the result a densely tart, citric pucker, the cheeks sucked in, the tongue ravaged, and the nose wrinkled. The fading glory is more reminiscent of grapes, not quite vinous but stately as opposed to juicy. A distant florality graces the sour but prompt finish. It's fruity and might lead you to expect something more conservative, but woe is the one who believes that for even a moment, because it's a fine, sour saucy lambic.

Light of body, there's a sense of carbonation and a dry impression that clean the palate after each mouthful.

The guy I was with insisted on trying it, and far be it from me to dissuade him. The instant response was no way, this is not my kind of beer. My wife didn't like it. Some guy I didn't know asked me how I can drink it. I replied, with relish. More for me, lads and lassies, and for anyone who wants to enjoy a sour fruity back-to-the-soil basicness that gives a good lambic its soul. Granted, it takes a couple glasses of water to get my cheeks puffed back out where they belong, but what a wonderful sipper this is. Sure, it's not for everyone, but it is for me.

4.32/5  rDev -2.5%

Chilled bottle into a glass. 2007 vintage (made with 2009 harvest), purchased at the brewery and shared with some friends in London. The brewer remarked that this year's fruit crop was excellent. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a hazy magenta color in the glass, with a frothy pink head that reveals its high effervescence. Retention is poor, as expected for this style, and the final result is a thin halo with no lacing down the sides.

S: Tart, slightly sour raspberry notes hit the nose first. They are joined by oak, leather, must, and whispers of barnyard funk.

T: Starts off seemingly sweet with a raspberry-dominated flavor, but it reveals itself to be tart, sour, very well attenuated, and uber-dry, nearly burning in the back of the throat. Swirling in the mouth and sampling the beer's myriad flavors turns up a woodsy flavor, leather, and hints hay / must / horse blanket.

M: Acidic and cuttingly dry, reminding us of potential heartburn problems. Light-bodied and lively.

D: Out of the 3 Lou Pepes I opened, this was our least favorite. An excellent and complex flavor, but more austerely dry than any of us really preferred. I'd get it again but I would pair it with food.

4.32/5  rDev -2.5%

I drank this 2005 vintage from the bottle into a champagne glass.

This lambic pours a medium pink/violet with about 2 inches of light pink head. The retention is poor as it falls within a minute. The lacing is light and watery.

The aroma is wonderful. There is the great funky horse blanket similar to what you get with the Saint Lamvinus, but this is far superior to the SL because it rewards you with great notes of sweet raspberries to balance out the tart.

The taste is also equally balanced rewarding the drinker with tartness and just enough sweetnes that a true lambic follower is looking for to enhance the drinkability. The first sip is lightly sweet with a raspberries and finishes with lots of sourness.

The mouthfeel is heavy and full and coats your mouth and makes you pucker.

Because this is so balanced its exceedingly drinkable for something so tart.

Overall, this is a great beer. I would seek this out and cellar it for up 20 years as recommended on the bottle.

4.32/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance: Pours a deep, hazy amber-red. Well carbonated, nice pink head.

Smell: HUGE, woody raspberry smell. Incredibly intense and sour. Bit of must, leather, wood, and hay.

Taste: Incredibly tart & sour, perhaps the most sour/tart beer I have ever encountered. Huge fruit as well, it is sweet but not unpleasantly so. The wood seems to add a good bit.

Mouthfeel: Very well carbonated, perhaps a bit too much so. Tannins and sugar give it a big mouthfeel

Drinkability: Drinkable, but I prefer the Kriek version (although this is better than Rose de Gambrinus, which I find to be a bit thin/watery). This one is a slow sipper.

4.31/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On cask at Moeder Lambic on 4/7/2013. Pours a beautiful raspberry hue, slightly hazy in clarity, with a fluffy, cloud-like, light pink head similar to the color of cotton candy. Nose expresses citrus, rind, cork and a wisp of raspberry essence at the back. Taste consistent with nose - no real surprises here. Citric acid is very assertive in the flavor profile. Mouthfeel is light in body, puckeringly tart and lightly stimulates the salivary glands. Overall, a very good fruit lambic; however, I'd like to have had a little more raspberry flavor.

4.31/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2003 vintage

I haven't had too many cantillons, but they impressed me again with this one. Gonna try to get my hands on as many as possible.

A: looked like a burnt orange color, or a sunset

S: pure garbage, literally, smells like garbage juice that Illuminates? the room. awesome, can't wait to drink it.

T: sour as can be, you feel it in the back of your mouth. "stings the nostrils" the aftertaste is quite exceptional.

M: medium and mild carbonation

D: Right before my son Thomas tasted it, he said, "I have a feeling i'm gonna really like this one." He took a sip and the face he made was priceless, just pure sourness. He said it was awful, but then said "wow, that was bad but also very good. I think I'll take another sip." perfect description.

4.3/5  rDev -2.9%

Complete vertical (01 - 09 based on sticker) shared by Mr. Bubbler on his b-day. The following is a comparison and rating is based on the average score of all:

A: Ranged from 3.5 to 4.5. Pours a pinkish red (older) to reddish pink (younger) all with a pink head which varied from almost nothing (02 and 03) to quite foamy (07). Lace was generally trace.

N: Ranged from 3.5 to 4.5. Varied from a vibrant bright fruit (09) to just slightly (03) notable. Younger bottles were much less funky and musty compared to the older ones which were more wild and earthy.

T: Range from 4.0 to 5.0. Plenty of basic moldy, chessy funk in all. Tartness more evident in older bottles. Some lemon present in 06. Intense sourness in 02. Surprise was 01 still fruity.

M: Range from 3.5 to 4.5. Semi-moderate body consistent across all bottles. Carbonation varied from foamy to nearly nothing. Tart to very sour and puckering. Cheesy, musty, dusty, earthy dry finish not so varied but older bottles generally tasted "older".

O: Range from 4.0 to 5.0. Highlights included the fresh fruit of the 09, the intense sourness of the 02, and the still wonderful 01. Very fortunate to have been a part of this event. Thanks and happy b-day Mr. B.

Cantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise from Brasserie Cantillon