Cantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Lou Pepe - FramboiseCantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 11-03-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise Alström Bros
gueuzegeek

4.33/5  rDev -4.4%

I consider myself fortunate any time I get Cantillion on tap and this was another one of those occasions.This beer was quite cloudy, as it should be. There was definitely a nice dark raspberry hue to the beer, also to be expected. The fragrance definitely contained the expected yeasty aromas with the sweet/tartness of the raspberries, also VERY good things in my book! I have come to anticipate a certain character from Cantillion and I was definitely not let down. The taste was as wonderful as I had hoped. Nice yeastiness to it as well as a delicate raspberry taste. The only reason it did not do better in the drinkability is because I may only want one, but would savour it as I did have that one. I wish I did not see that this is listed as "limited edition"!! Enjoy!!

11-03-2003 23:02:29 | More by gueuzegeek
Foxman

4.33/5  rDev -4.4%

It pours a rich fruit-punch red, with pinkish lights along the edges. Two fingers of light pink head swells at the tap but disappears to thin air by the time it gets to me. One single ring of lacing halos the dropping liquid.

The aroma is of the earth, with yeast and funk, horse and hay, wet and musty, and overseen by the lord of it all, the mighty fresh raspberry, both sweet and tart, but with an acidic blade that punches the fruit home.

Upon sipping, the dense earthiness again makes first play, with the sour funky attitude bouncing off the deep candied sweetness of the raspberries, with the result a densely tart, citric pucker, the cheeks sucked in, the tongue ravaged, and the nose wrinkled. The fading glory is more reminiscent of grapes, not quite vinous but stately as opposed to juicy. A distant florality graces the sour but prompt finish. It's fruity and might lead you to expect something more conservative, but woe is the one who believes that for even a moment, because it's a fine, sour saucy lambic.

Light of body, there's a sense of carbonation and a dry impression that clean the palate after each mouthful.

The guy I was with insisted on trying it, and far be it from me to dissuade him. The instant response was no way, this is not my kind of beer. My wife didn't like it. Some guy I didn't know asked me how I can drink it. I replied, with relish. More for me, lads and lassies, and for anyone who wants to enjoy a sour fruity back-to-the-soil basicness that gives a good lambic its soul. Granted, it takes a couple glasses of water to get my cheeks puffed back out where they belong, but what a wonderful sipper this is. Sure, it's not for everyone, but it is for me.

04-03-2007 19:53:00 | More by Foxman
Arbitrator

4.33/5  rDev -4.4%

Chilled bottle into a glass. 2007 vintage (made with 2009 harvest), purchased at the brewery and shared with some friends in London. The brewer remarked that this year's fruit crop was excellent. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a hazy magenta color in the glass, with a frothy pink head that reveals its high effervescence. Retention is poor, as expected for this style, and the final result is a thin halo with no lacing down the sides.

S: Tart, slightly sour raspberry notes hit the nose first. They are joined by oak, leather, must, and whispers of barnyard funk.

T: Starts off seemingly sweet with a raspberry-dominated flavor, but it reveals itself to be tart, sour, very well attenuated, and uber-dry, nearly burning in the back of the throat. Swirling in the mouth and sampling the beer's myriad flavors turns up a woodsy flavor, leather, and hints hay / must / horse blanket.

M: Acidic and cuttingly dry, reminding us of potential heartburn problems. Light-bodied and lively.

D: Out of the 3 Lou Pepes I opened, this was our least favorite. An excellent and complex flavor, but more austerely dry than any of us really preferred. I'd get it again but I would pair it with food.

11-10-2009 19:18:08 | More by Arbitrator
PittBeerGirl

4.33/5  rDev -4.4%

2004 vintage. Thanks Hart for sharing this!

A-Body is a very translucent, foggy, amber hue with a slight pinkish tint to it. Pours with a fizzy one finger white head that fades pretty quickly.

S- Nose is good and complex. The highlights are slightly tart raspberries and a big acidic sourness. Also noticeable are a hint of vinegar, a slight sweetness, and bready yeast.

T-Flavor is quite tart and offers slightly tart raspberries and a big acidic sourness with a nice bready yeast backbone. A hint of raspberry sweetness comes through for the finish which is a culmination of the initial flavors with an added salty component.

M-Acidic and sour, with low to medium carbonation and medium weight body. Quite good.

D- This is a great lambic. I wish I would have gotten into Cantillon earlier! This is a great sour that offers lots of authentic raspberry flavors and is quite tart.

04-29-2010 16:08:38 | More by PittBeerGirl
craytonic

District of Columbia

4.33/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance: Pours a deep, hazy amber-red. Well carbonated, nice pink head.

Smell: HUGE, woody raspberry smell. Incredibly intense and sour. Bit of must, leather, wood, and hay.

Taste: Incredibly tart & sour, perhaps the most sour/tart beer I have ever encountered. Huge fruit as well, it is sweet but not unpleasantly so. The wood seems to add a good bit.

Mouthfeel: Very well carbonated, perhaps a bit too much so. Tannins and sugar give it a big mouthfeel

Drinkability: Drinkable, but I prefer the Kriek version (although this is better than Rose de Gambrinus, which I find to be a bit thin/watery). This one is a slow sipper.

11-01-2009 20:46:22 | More by craytonic
Etan

Wisconsin

4.35/5  rDev -4%

750ml into a Cantillon tulip. 2008 bottle.

A: Pours a light ruby with a gigantic light pink head. This bottle is super-carbonated.

S: Beautiful assertive raspberry in the nose. Fragrant, sour, must, seed, rotted wood.

T: Lots of oak, sour raspberry skin, wet hay, lactic, very acidic, slight notes of vanilla and wheat. Very sour.

M: Light-bodied, frothy carbonation.

O: This isn't a fresh bottle, but it isn't exactly old either - I'm glad the fruit component is still bright. Plenty of funk in the nose, too. Awesome framboise.

10-23-2012 20:59:04 | More by Etan
Sean9689

4.35/5  rDev -4%

2001 and 2002 vintages side-by-side @ the pre-Toronado 24th Anniversary tasting. I brought the 2002, but forget who brought the 2001. Poured into two mini-snifters.

A - Pours a pinkish red color, pink fizzy head, thin collar, thin cap.

S - Sharp sour/tartness, raspberries are still there for the most part, lots of barn, very funky, lots of acidity. My nose turns inside out with each sniff.

T - Raspberry purée, lots of sharp sour/tart funkiness, slight oak. Surprised how well the fruit notes have held up after all these years. An utter onslaught of raspberries, sour, and funk.

M - Light, fizzy carbonation, super dry finish.

O - I thought both 2001 and 2002 were pretty close, taste wise. I didn't prefer one over the other, both were excellent. I'll have to open a more recent vintage and compare. A must-try.

08-27-2011 02:12:54 | More by Sean9689
danieelol

Australia

4.35/5  rDev -4%

Initially listed this review under the Kriek by accident. Phew.

2007 Vintage, Bottled September 2009

When I first breached the cork there was loads of vinegar to be smelt.

Red colour. Not much head but there's ample carbonation.

Smell is field and wild and cooked mushrooms. Very pleasant funk to this one, nothing potentially disagreeable in here. Does remind me a bit of Lindemans sweetened Lambics in the nose profile though. There's lemon and herbs and really savoury vegetables. Ripe/overripe/fermenting fruit. Honeycomb, malt and carob. Cherries and roses. Smell does get a bit more faecal and organic as I get down the bottle.

Taste is more mushrooms and sweet potato. A pleasant sourness with the tiniest sweet touch. Not cloying at all in either direction. Something about this beer makes me think of regional French cooking, in a really good way. It's like there's garlic in the nose and taste. This beer is deeply interesting.

Mouthfeel is nice. Bubbly and tickly.

I was a bit put off initially by the nose profile but lying behind it is a delicious, drinkable and complex beer. I would love to get more of this.

10-09-2011 13:11:09 | More by danieelol
Phatz

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%

I picked up a 750ML bottle of Cantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise for $24 at State Line Liquors in Elkton MD. I had the opportunity to share it with phnphilly, Slatetank, Risser09, and gottajiboo2.

It was interesting. This was one of the first beers of the night and I thought wow this is really sour. Later when we came back to it. I really appreciated the deep rich fruit flavors and amount of depth that showed through all the intense funk in this beautiful beer.

Initially my wife thought she would like a raspberry beer. She didn't. This is not a transition beer. It is not a fruity for the timid. It is a serious sour done just right.

Appearance: Pours a red color with w fluffy white head that has hints of pink and finally fades to a pick color around that glass. Heavy lacing.

Smell: Raspberries galore. Bold tart raspberries absolutely sour and yet like putting your face in a plate full of squishy overripe berries. At the same time is is wine like, and certainly sour horse blanket musty leather old rotten wooden barrel aromas as well.

Taste: It is exactly like the nose but bigger now in the mouth with rich sour raspberries overripe grapes, lemon peels with an intense pucker effect like sucking on a lemon but it is a woody funky fruity flavor. MARVELOUS!

Mouthfeel: Sharp intense sour makes it a bit rough through the mouth at first but the aftertaste it so magnificent you rush right back into that bubbly babe of beer.

Drinkability: I've got drink it nice and easy but slow and steady wins the race every time, and though it may be a rough ride I enjoy every second of it. I repeat this is a fruit beer! It is a real Lambic with fruit.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

03-24-2007 08:45:24 | More by Phatz
IBUnit63

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%

On tap at Nova Res Cafe in Portland. Served in a bowl-ish Pinot wine glass.

Very streamlined presentation in the wine glass. Body is light raspberry red - almost glistening with a fair amount of pinkish or rose carbonation. Head is rather minimalist. Just what the doctor ordered.

Beautifully funky scent of sour, unsweetened raspberries mixed with a great Brett-ish funk. Not so heavy on the blunt horse blanket scent but more of a light poignancy with a little pine thrown in.

Taste profile is extremely clean. The tight sourness mixes nicely with raspberry essence to produce a beautiful lambic here. Finish is still very tight from piney texture and barrel character - almost as dry as balsa wood, but this is one of the classics.

Palate feel makes one pucker. Of course the sourness is overwhelming but it's done in a very clean and tight manner and doesn't negate the light dry sweetness of the raspberries. This one has a great deal of spring in its step.

I've taken a shine to the Cantillon lambics on tap ever since experiencing Fou Fonne at Deep Ellum. This one is just as enjoyable - maybe even a little more fruit character. Sure, it's tight and the funk and acidity slow it down a little bit, but who's to argue that this isn't one of the best?

05-27-2009 22:16:06 | More by IBUnit63
WillCarrera

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%

750 ml bottle, 2008 vintage, poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a dark red color, topped with a big fluffy pinkish head, great retention and spotty lacing..

S- Lots of delicious raspberry aroma, acidic tartness, wood and musty, earthy funk.

T- Powerful lactic tartness followed by juicy raspberries, slightly bitter raspberry skin. Beneath is a solid layer of musty, horsey funk with wood and tannins.

M- Light-bodied, nice bubbly carbonation, has a super-acidic and dry, tannic feel.

O- A great framboise, it's massively sour, even for Cantillon, which I really like. This is probably the oldest fruit lambic I've had from Cantillon, who I know recommends drinking these young, but even a few years out this is drinking damn nicely.

11-04-2012 01:28:56 | More by WillCarrera
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

bottle at hosers 17/7/11

A a little hazy pinky salmon liquid with a short lived light pink head that leaves little lace, I gotta admit that the color is seductive

S mild funk with tart raspberry, a little jammy but earthy at the same time

T not completely dry but close too it, what I smell is in the mouth and I'm not sure if I pick up some wet dog or if this dog breathing on me is mucking up my pallet, I get the tart raspberry but I also get some sour cherry somehow

M oh so tart, lip licking pucker sour with an aftertaste I'll need floss to get rid of

O solid lambic for sure perhaps a little above my level of understanding, I'm learning to love sour funk

I'm still a little confused by the style but I'm enjoying this learning experience

07-26-2011 03:08:16 | More by wordemupg
BMMillsy

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%

Burg shared this gem with everyone at the Swamp Head Batch 600 release. A huge want of mine. Thanks man! 2010 Sticker on this one pours bright red with a mostly white with a pink hued read on top. Aroma of barnyard funk, yeast, hay, dust, and big juicy raspberries. Flavor follows just the same with lots of dusty barnyard funk and plenty of juicy raspberries. Dry oaky finish. Body is light, pretty dry on the finish, and has medium plus carbonation. Oh yea. This is good. Glad I finally got to try it.

08-04-2014 01:55:32 | More by BMMillsy
DaftCaskBC

British Columbia (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%

A: 1" of foamy light magenta head over dark magenta liquid.

S: Oak, yeast and raspberries.

T: Oak, yeast, tartness, some earthiness and sour raspberries in the finish.

M: Thin viscosity, a medium level of carbonation and some dry tartness.

O: More woody than fruity in this case, I prefer the Lou Pepe Kriek but this is still tasty.

07-25-2012 03:12:03 | More by DaftCaskBC
MasterSki

Ontario (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to Kyle for contributing this to New Beer Sunday. Served in a Hopleaf tulip glass. 2005 Vintage. My notes on this one are a little shorter as it was the last beer I reviewed in a long session.

A - Two and a half fingers of pink-white foam with solid retention. Absolutely no lace, but a nice cap of foam that lingers for a bit. Opaque pink-brown brew.

S - Tons of vinegar, brett-y funk, raspberries, horse blanket, and musty barn. Utterly huge smell that almost attacks the senses.

T - Huge sourness, with sweet raspberry puree right at the tip of the tongue. Lots of funk and a light graham-cracker maltiness that holds things together.

M - Super drying, tons of cotton mouth, light to medium body, moderate carbonation. More extreme in mouth pucker than even La Folie!

D - So sour - even with low ABV it's hard to have more than a a serving or two. I appreciate that Dave had the Pepto out just in case of emergency.

Looking forward to my trip to Belgium this summer...

06-01-2009 18:03:48 | More by MasterSki
Risser09

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%

750ml bottle shared by Phatz for his sour beer tasting • 2004 Bottling • Poured into a taster

Appearance: Pours a ruby red color with a little bit of carbonation and some lacing. as with other lambics, plenty of clinging bubbless.

Smell: Funky, horseblanket of aromas, much like a barnyard. Raspberry and wood are very present as well.

Taste: Much like the smell, the taste is loaded with raspberry, in a tart way. There is minimal carbonation here, with cherry tartness that lurks around in my mouth.

Mouthfeel: Intensely tart and sour. You have to be ready for something like this before you go off playing around. Otherwise, the beer has a mellowing effect on myself and my senses. Sublime I guess you would call it.

Drinkability: Not an every day drinker by any means. This beer would best be served as an aperitif or perhaps a digestif depending on the meal and courses. This beer would get consumed more if it weren't for the heavy price tag.

08-08-2007 13:22:12 | More by Risser09
mynie

Indiana

On tap at the hopleaf.

Pours like a lambic. Dark Fruit Roll-Up red with a tiny white head and little patches of bubbly bubbles.

Smells like candied raspberries. It's nice, but there's no huge lambic presence like I was expecting, no yeast funk or anything.

Tastes.. YEE OW! Calm start, the candied raspberries of the nose. But then the back is this wonderful kick of sour deathfunk yeast and perfectly permented sweet and sour fruit and big bursts of heaven. Wonderful.

03-12-2007 17:40:43 | More by mynie
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

4.4/5  rDev -2.9%

Cloudy beautiful pink, with real raspberries. Cider-like aroma and no barnyard. Great sediment of more sour at bottom of bottle. Very smooth drink, hard to gulp down although I gave it a college effort. 2001 vintage. Must be shared. Seems richer than 5%. A very special unique beverage as my two pals concurred.

12-24-2004 00:17:36 | More by Sammy
hooliganlife

Missouri

4.4/5  rDev -2.9%

vintage 2008 bottled in 2010.

pours a deep pinkish ruby with a light fizzy pink head that quickly dissipates.

deep fresh raspberries with some fresh oak mixed in. slight funkiness. very ripe and juicy. a bit toned down from the regular rose de gambrinus but still vibrant.

a strong mix of fresh raspberry and fresh oak. very well blended and complex however these two main flavors seem to really balance each other. more sour than i would have expected up front however after a bit it feels toned down.

very light and easy with a mild mix of carbonation through out. dryness from the oak.

very good, better than the rose de gambrinus for sure. a solid framboise.

12-07-2011 00:09:42 | More by hooliganlife
jmarsh123

Indiana

2008 vintage poured at Zwanze Day

Pours red/pink with a big pink bubbly head. Low retention although there was some lacing around the edges.

Great funky raspberry aroma. Funky and tart with a little fruity sweetness.

Lots of raspberry flavor in this one. Very sweet up front until some of the funk hits mid-palate. Finishes with some tasty raspberry tartness. Straight up sourness isn't as high in this as some other Cantillons, but it's still funky and the raspberry tartness makes up for it.

Well carbonated and creamy mouthfeel. Spot on for Cantillon.

I normally don't like Framboises too much, but was really surprised by this one (probably the first time I've ever had it on a clean palate). Liked it better than the other LP beers and glad I still have a bottle left in the cellar.

12-03-2012 17:56:33 | More by jmarsh123
largadeer

4.4/5  rDev -2.9%

750ml capped and corked bottle.

Appearance: Hazy bright red, very pretty stuff. The head rises about an inch and lasts a bit longer than the average lambic, but ultimately settles into a ring.

Smell: A good bit of complex funk blended nicely with raspberries and lemon juice.

Taste/mouthfeel: An exceptional tart raspberry flavor is the first thing that hits the palate with some buggy undertones beneath it. Bone-dry throughout, the sourness and acidity are strong but quite palatable. Raspberries come out even more in the finish, lingering on the tongue for several minutes between sips. The acidity does become a bit stomach-churning after a while with this one, which knocks it down a bit compared to many of Cantillon's other beers. A top notch framboise all the same.

05-15-2008 18:43:05 | More by largadeer
Thorpe429

4.4/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Poured a very nice reddish pink with a beautiful pink-hued head that lasted throughout the glass.

S: Lots of raspberries in this vintage with a nice bit of sweetness from the raspberries paired with a bit of tartness and quite a bit of lactic acid, seemingly much more so than in the LP Kriek.

T: Quite tart with a bit of sweetness. Not much acetic acid, not getting any vinegar taste like with Saint Lamnivus. Much more on the lactic side of things. Not much funk, but overall very delicious.

M: Very nice. I've gotten quite used to all types of sour, but this one actually stung my tongue quite a bit. Lots of carbonation.

D: Extremely drinkable. Low abv, very complex, and an all-around nice sipper.

03-03-2010 13:27:45 | More by Thorpe429
Tone

Missouri

4.4/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a clear, red/pink color. 1/4 inch head of a pink color. Slight retention and poor lacing. Smells of strong raspberries, tart yeast, slight dark citrus, sour notes, and slight earthiness. Fits the style of a Lambic - Fruit. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with a low carbonation level. There is also a noticeable bitterness. Tastes of raspberries, tartness, pungent sour flavors, and also a strong tang. I had a hard time discerning what ingredients caused the basic flavors I tasted, but nonetheless it was an amazing brew.

10-04-2012 13:26:41 | More by Tone
jaasen64

4.4/5  rDev -2.9%

750ml bottle purchased at Zwanze Day '13 at Lord Hobo. '10 vintage purchased for $45, split four ways.

A- Pours a deep cherry-raspberry red, translucent, just a faint off-white pinkish head forms that recedes to a flat top.

S- Lots of fresh raspberries, some slight raspberry purée, some slight underlying funk that's hidden underneath the raspberries. Fruity presence is very nice.

T- Fresh raspberries, a nice acidic bite that isn't too vinegary, finishes with nice funky lambic qualities of some pepper, barnyard funk, and a tiny bit of hay. Awesome balance.

M- Very drinkable, nice acidity level, nice amount of carbonation.

O- Cantillon really knows oohs to make their lambics, I prefer the LP Kriek slightly over this but both are incredible. I'd like to try this with some more age as I think the funk would come out a bit more while still blending nicely with the cherries. Not the easiest bottle to get (at least in e US), but definitely worth trying if you can.

09-14-2013 13:39:19 | More by jaasen64
mdaschaf

Washington

4.41/5  rDev -2.6%

2005 Vintage, at Monk's in Philly shared with BeerThursday. Served in a Cantillon stemmed goblet.

A: Poured a hazy reddish color with no head or lacing at all. A few small bits of cork ended up in the beer, but no big deal. The cap was very rusty and the cork...did not look good.

S: Very nice raspberry and strawberry aromas. There is a bit of oak and some light funk. For a 7 year old Framboise, it smells fantastic and is incredibly inviting.

T: Surprisingly still rather tart, again a nice combination of raspberry and strawberry flavors with a sizeable amount of oak and barnyard funk coming through, slightly musty.

M: Extremely easy drinking, while the flavors are bold the mouthfeel is very mellow and smooth.

O: Extremely impressed at how well this held up. Saying I want more of this is obvious.

07-19-2012 03:03:13 | More by mdaschaf